PDA

View Full Version : Petitioning Sega West regarding PSO2, please sign.

Merik2013
Apr 15, 2012, 06:26 AM
http://www.change.org/petitions/president-of-sega-west-break-your-vow-of-silence-on-phantasy-star-online-2-and-localize-it#

First let me say, yes, I am aware this isn't the first attempt to start a petition on the matter. But, hopefully this will be the last. From the attempts I've seen previously, they've either made unreasonable demands (such as questionable boycotts) or have said too little and left the girth of their position unclear.

The bottom-line is that I, as I'm sure many of you are as well, am I tired of Sega avoiding the subject and not simply uttering four simple words. "PSO2 is coming west." I do intend to spread this around enough, and hopefully in the right places so as to catch the attention of Sega's higher-ups, so rest assured of that.

edit: link works. sorry bout that, been putting too much a rush on this it seems.

youcantcatchtheblue
Apr 15, 2012, 06:31 AM
your link doesn't work btw

coomdoom
Apr 15, 2012, 07:07 AM
The game isn't even in Closed Beta yet (well it's close but still). Sega would be stupid not to release it in the West and I'm sure they will. Just hold your horses. We always get it later anyway. If they're gonna announce it in the West, it'll be after the closed beta or the open beta (if they have one)

NoiseHERO
Apr 15, 2012, 07:13 AM
At least wait till E3 before you get paranoid. D:

moorebounce
Apr 15, 2012, 07:40 AM
You do realize its releasing over the internet right? So unless you're asking for localization this petition is pointless. Plus like youcantcatchtheblue said your link doesn't work.

Lacen
Apr 15, 2012, 07:42 AM
I think he messed up on posting the full link... =/ Well, better a broken link then a stupid virus. @o@;

Anon_Fire
Apr 15, 2012, 08:12 AM
The link is broken.

Man, why are people so impatient.

xBladeM6x
Apr 15, 2012, 08:31 AM
This should be more of "Allow language selection in the settings" petition.

NoiseHERO
Apr 15, 2012, 08:35 AM
There ARE language selection settings in the options. D:

youcantcatchtheblue
Apr 15, 2012, 08:51 AM
ok I signed it :p

Merik2013
Apr 15, 2012, 08:51 AM
The game isn't even in Closed Beta yet (well it's close but still). Sega would be stupid not to release it in the West and I'm sure they will. Just hold your horses. We always get it later anyway. If they're gonna announce it in the West, it'll be after the closed beta or the open beta (if they have one)

PSP2:i didn't get a release here either, so there obviously is room for concern

You do realize its releasing over the internet right? So unless you're asking for localization this petition is pointless. Plus like youcantcatchtheblue said your link doesn't work.

What else could this POSSIBLY be over if not localization?

therealAERO
Apr 15, 2012, 08:59 AM
Can we at least give Sega a chance to show this at E3? Also Sega is hurting very bad financially so they would be fools to not release it in the west.

This is Phantasy Star Online 2 a brand new main release game. Furthermore based on history and how we have gotten every new Phantasy Star release (PSO/v2/Ep1&2/Ep3/BB/PSU/AOI/PSP1/2 PSZ) I don' t believe there is a reason to worry.

It would be very odd if this wasn't released in the west. (I am 100% sure this will come to the west...eventually)

We didn't get PSP2i because

1. PSP was dead.
2. ...well that's it. Sega of America saw no reason to bring it over.

NoiseHERO
Apr 15, 2012, 09:05 AM
PSP2:i

You can't save yourself the defensive maneuvers and go back and search for the 500 pages already discussed on whether or not we should be paranoid about localization.

Also...

I dunno who made it popular, but making online petitions over a single concern with an unpopular online game NEVER got far... Not even far... more like they never got anywhere AT ALL. You should see how the petition thread for localizing PSP2i came out.

This is the nicest way anyone is gonna burst your bubble, all I can tell you is chillax, wait, and you're still paranoid. There's WAY too much evidence pointing to this game's localization (Including the other languages already found in the files.)

OR just brace yourself for a good 3 pages of being told this is a bad/pointless idea.

Merik2013
Apr 15, 2012, 09:10 AM
they could have easily released it via the PSP's online store and still made a profit. Sony's decision to halt production on UMD's in no way should have impacted the release. All this proves is Sega's not perfect. furthermore, we know from experience that Sega West is no stranger to making poor business decisions. The only thing I'm trying to achieve from this petition is to have Sega West put such concerns to rest and make an official announcement.

Dabian
Apr 15, 2012, 09:12 AM
I'm pretty sure Sakai and his team would want a large pool of players to be able to sustain the free to play model.

But I think they're being cautious, understandably after the PSU experience.

Nurusanura
Apr 15, 2012, 09:16 AM
You guys are treating a petition like its a bad thing. lol Even if it isn't needed, and Sega did plan to release an English client at the same time, a petition couldn't really hurt in any way, and in fact, could cause Sega to realize that they should release their games in multiple regions from that point on. Its a rather impatient thing to do, but its not a bad thing.

xBladeM6x
Apr 15, 2012, 09:25 AM
Then if English is in the settings, who cares? :-P

Rizen
Apr 15, 2012, 09:35 AM
SEGA is gearing up for something it seems. The options have language select and datamining shows there are some english files inside. My bet is we are going to be hearing about released outside of Japan during or after E3. I've said it before and I'm sticking to it.

If we don't hear anything after that, then we should start worrying.

xBladeM6x
Apr 15, 2012, 09:39 AM
Its F2P so who cares if it gets localized? You can still play. And with all the guides that come out of these forums and the PSO2PEDIA I think we will be fine.
You obviously have not tried to play a Japanese game.

moorebounce
Apr 15, 2012, 09:57 AM

I can't read Japanese so in which tab is that?

youcantcatchtheblue
Apr 15, 2012, 10:38 AM
It's already blindingly obvious that the game will get a western release, but just sign the petition anyway because it doesn't hurt to let your voice be heard, and it's what we all want anyway.

It will at least make SEGA happy to know that the fans care so much about their game.

Merik2013
Apr 15, 2012, 10:38 AM
Don't mistake my irritation for paranoia. I only deal in facts, I won't accept supposition, and the fact is there's been no announcements about localization and it's only been confirmed for Japan. Let me make my stance perfectly clear. I don't REALLY think Sega West is callous enough to snuff us a second time in a row, but until I'm giving official confirmation that this is getting localized I will treat it as such. the only thing I aim to achieve with this petition is a simple admission from Sega West that they are in fact bringing it to us. I want four simple words: "PSO2 is coming west." My annoyance, and that of my PSO buddies, comes from the fact they Sega West has been so obstinately tight-lipped about.

Understand where I'm coming from. PSO2 was first announced during the September 2010 Tokyo Game Show. that was over a year and a half ago and Sega West has given us nothing but dead air since then. E3 has already happened before in the meantime and Sega West still chose to continue to keep us in the dark during that time. There's no reason why a trailer couldn't or shouldn't have been produced for a western expo during that time.

On top of that, from the sounds of it, it would seem that not even Sega West employee such as the one interviewed here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRDxyLJRveY&feature=plcp&context=C4283ef6VDvjVQa1PpcFMGgHk8AJRhMeGZv159jmDN MsIceGJ1Ips=
Interview: Sega's Aaron Webber Gives Insight on Phantasy Star Online 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BATo38UoTg4&feature=plcp&context=C4589ce0VDvjVQa1PpcFMGgHk8AJRhMX4VYZlLoUpy aRf_siw7mlM%3D)
...are sure whether or not it's coming over (though he does appear hopeful). Those in charge of such things are just that tight-lipped about it. Incidentally, Al Zamora's urge for petitioning is what inspired this little idea of mine.

And to the one or two of you insinuating that petitioning can't achieve anything, I would point out that with an attitude like they it obviously won't. Petitioning can only be successful if one can get as many people to chip in as possible. A pessimistic viewpoint of it's chances of success is incredibly unproductive. how could it possibly do harm to you to sign such a petition? If Sega West finally decides to break their vow of silence this coming E3 I'll gladly take down the petition. But in the mean I by no means intend to stop pushing for this, and neither should anyone else.

The amount of time they've kept quiet on this subject is unreasonable. It's unusual for localization announcements to be postponed for so long after release information, makeshift or otherwise, has already been made available in the country of origin. The simple fact that there's English text buried in the game helps in no way to confirm a localization. We need Sega West's word for that. Again, I don't honestly think Sega West could seriously intend to stiff us again, but I want their word on that.

Addendum: This is the last I intend to say on this on this board. I've got other boards to keep an eye on and can't linger. I've made my position as clear as I can. I appreciate and thank those who supported my petition in the face of the apparent criticism. One way or the other I'll be playing this when it's available (starting with the open beta) right along side you. We're all on the same team here. :)

TelleT
Apr 15, 2012, 10:56 AM
We will probably get more info on E3 this summer. :D

Zyrusticae
Apr 15, 2012, 11:13 AM
I admit, learning to play a game like this seems like a good impetus for me to actually properly learn to read and write Japanese. (I can already do the speaking part at least somewhat well.)

But all the same, signed for the edge case that it actually does something. I think we'd need thousands of signatures for it to really get noticed, however...

Akaimizu
Apr 15, 2012, 11:58 AM
Not to mention, the entire decision is pretty much going to be from SEGA of Japan. Sega West has pretty much been gutted, a sad case of affairs. So it's pretty much to getting some letter to Sega of Japan, with the hopes they consider. Of course, we have no idea whether they didn't already plan to release it over here, in the first place. Considering their current announcements and hardware support, I don't see why they wouldn't.

Randomness
Apr 15, 2012, 01:14 PM
There's no indication that they won't release it over here, and several that they will, so I'm remaining hopeful.

Nurusanura
Apr 15, 2012, 01:52 PM

Perhaps, but numbers are used worldwide! That's why I love maths. >_> Im getting ready to get stoned... to death.

shiink
Apr 15, 2012, 02:11 PM
It's time for Sega of America and Sega of Europe to get off their lazy rear-ends and treat their fanbase with the respect it deserves after all these years. Phantasy Star Online 2 is to be the 10th year anniversary celebration of the franchise's successful history and we, the western fanbase, don't want to be late, let alone miss the party in it's entirety!

This is my favorite part of the petition ^^

reptile7383
Apr 15, 2012, 02:21 PM
I can't read Japanese so in which tab is that?

I can't either but I think its under the second tab in the settings. There's a drop down box where "日本語" is the only selectable option. According to google "日本語" translates to "Japanese"

Anon_Fire
Apr 15, 2012, 02:31 PM
I can't either but I think its under the second tab in the settings. There's a drop down box where "日本語" is the only selectable option. According to google "日本語" translates to "Japanese"

That's the language drop-down box.

Ark22
Apr 15, 2012, 02:57 PM
Signed.

Pluupy
Apr 15, 2012, 03:06 PM
Signed!

Omega-z
Apr 15, 2012, 05:43 PM
PSO2 IS going to have Global Support with in-game Language Selection. As a Down-Loadable Copy on Sever's in Japan. Sega is reading these forums and the Facebook pages of our feedback they allowed us in the Alpha and Beta of the game to be tested. Even Sega's Aaron Webber in a later interview with Al Zamora's that it was heading that way and had advised everyone here to get into the Alpha before the deadline to get your thought's better heard, Even there Facebook page hint at English use a SoJ response. As it stands SoA has had two Lay-offs which is shrinking it's presences and all except a hand-full of games will be Down-loadable only. Sega is working it's way into a Cellphone aspect since they bought ...yes bought a Cellphone gaming company in the last summer and knew that the Smartphone aspect for PSO2 was coming. Sega is doing everything carefully and I'm glad they are. This is not needed since they know we want to play too, It's just we need to understand there point of view and where they stand too. The Best way for one is they could of had your voice heard was/or be in the process to help make the game better.

Nurusanura
Apr 15, 2012, 05:53 PM
PSO2 IS going to have Global Support with in-game Language Selection. As a Down-Loadable Copy on Sever's in Japan. Sega is reading these forums and the Facebook pages of our feedback they allowed us in the Alpha and Beta of the game to be tested. Even Sega's Aaron Webber in a later interview with Al Zamora's that it was heading that way and had advised everyone here to get into the Alpha before the deadline to get your thought's better heard, Even there Facebook page hint at English use a SoJ response. As it stands SoA has had two Lay-offs which is shrinking it's presences and all except a hand-full of games will be Down-loadable only. Sega is working it's way into a Cellphone aspect since they bought ...yes bought a Cellphone gaming company in the last summer and knew that the Smartphone aspect for PSO2 was coming. Sega is doing everything carefully and I'm glad they are. This is not needed since they know we want to play too, It's just we need to understand there point of view and where they stand too. The Best way for one is they could of had your voice heard was/or be in the process to help make the game better.

Quoted for the intelligence. Not even I knew about this. Thanks! ^_^

youcantcatchtheblue
Apr 15, 2012, 06:37 PM
Sega is reading these forums and the Facebook pages of our feedback

:lol: I doubt they are... maybe SoA and their community manager, but I highly doubt anyone on Sakai's team would be reading English forums... Those English posts on the PSO2 Facebook page are soooo terrible...

reptile7383
Apr 15, 2012, 06:50 PM

I guessing most people are fairly certain that there will be global support of some kind, but I'd feel a lot better if somebody at Sega would atleast give a plan for what we should expect. Well there be support at launch? A year later? Are we going to get a version with less content? I would just like a statement from Sega stating what we should expect.

Cyrusnagisa
Apr 15, 2012, 07:19 PM
my thing is, Sega needs to stop separating the player bases..... heck the only reason US PSU 360 is still going, is because all regions are on the same servers.

ClothoBuer
Apr 15, 2012, 07:24 PM

And from the sounds of things, neither have you. Even if you can't read it, menus tend to follow some form of standardization, and once you figure out where everything is, playing games, even in full Japanese, is no different than playing it in English.

Macman
Apr 15, 2012, 08:05 PM
Sega is reading these forums and the Facebook pages of our feedbackThat's a good one!

Omega-z
Apr 15, 2012, 08:56 PM
yeah, most would think SoJ is not reading are post's but there has been some odd things that have happen from Request or idea's form Our post's that did happen. And SoJ has responded to Facebook English post's. There watching are vid's & pic's since there has been some Hammering that went down not to harsh but still happen. It's tru it's not direct but more behind the scenes but there is so much stuff in the data mining form pic's,file's...etc to back up a more Global release then anything else, infact there's 9 Language's in the game's files to choose from.

Box123
Apr 16, 2012, 12:09 AM
my PSO buddies, comes from the fact they Sega West has been so obstinately tight-lipped about.
That interview posted was conducted during E3 2010. I'm pretty sure that was before the alpha had even stared. Also, PSP2i was a sequel to a game, which probably didn't sell as well in the US as sega had hoped... So they discontinued the series in the US.

PSO2 is a free to play game, once they make a profit from the cash shop they'll most likely begin converting the game to english. The idea of letting sega know that there are people who really want PSO2 to come out in the US is good. But I wouldn't assume anything quite yet. The game hasn't even entered beta yet, and if they do release it in the US it will most likely be a little while after the JP release.

And even if it doesn't come out in the US... You can always just play the JP version. I'm sure there will be plenty of guides showing which stat is which, and what the quest objectives are. And I wouldn't be surprised if someone made a language patch. Whether or not it's allowed or not is a different topic, however.

Just give it some time, and I'm sure things will be ok.

Sir Green Aluminum
Apr 16, 2012, 01:22 AM
Rainfall worked, but this is Sega, foolishness branch (Aka the branch that serves the US English population. Good bye Valkyria Chronicles 3, all JP voiced intros of Sega games! Still, we have the Eng localization files, so we should be ok.

Xenobia
Apr 16, 2012, 02:49 AM
Petitioning pretty much pointless i feel. They know our opinion, and if they dont, they would not be reading it. I dont even get the point, we do not need a "release" in the west, its a digital copy, no physical one. All we should be worried is the EN translation, because it cant just be done by a foreign translator, else Sega will ban. The EN translation certainly will come, just a matter of time.

RocSage
Apr 16, 2012, 02:59 AM
Petitioning pretty much pointless i feel. They know our opinion, and if they dont, they would not be reading it. I dont even get the point, we do not need a "release" in the west, its a digital copy, no physical one. All we should be worried is the EN translation, because it cant just be done by a foreign translator, else Sega will ban. The EN translation certainly will come, just a matter of time.

There is a language option in the beta apparently and you think they are just going to leave out English? Really? One of the most prevalent languages on the planet and is the prime language in the biggest game market. Yeah they'll just skip by that one and include Gaelic instead. Just for fun.

Mike
Apr 16, 2012, 03:25 AM
yeah, most would think SoJ is not reading are post's but there has been some odd things that have happen from Request or idea's form Our post's that did happen.
Actually what's more likely is that a Japanese player or players submitted the exact same thing to Sega during one of the alpha tests.

Alex Longstride
Apr 16, 2012, 05:09 AM
I've signed as a preemptive measure.

Anon_Fire
Apr 16, 2012, 07:24 AM
You won't be able to get many to sign because there's alot of people who don't know Phantasy Star even exists.

Omega-z
Apr 16, 2012, 08:19 AM
That's Most likely the case Mike, But at the same time one can only wonder tho. But It might be like they have a request form JP and go to the EN side to see if we have the same request or to see are reaction to a request to see if they have a green light or not and need to tweak it.

everyone - but for development purposes it's better to have one language option to make sure the game is acting accordingly so there won't be to many bug's. EN is in the language options that's your Localization of the game and might even have a different color'd opening SEGA logo in the beginning. So there's no need to worry other then some of the AC options.

Rhypht
Apr 16, 2012, 11:08 AM
Link is not working for me, I'd like to sign.

AC9breaker
Apr 16, 2012, 11:27 AM
Personally, I feel internet petitions are a waste a time even more so when it comes to Sega; since they somehow always manage to not get the point, or misinterpret stuff, or somehow foul up something when it comes to the fan requests. Sega always seems to have a kind of tunnel vision when it comes to them executing their gaming projects and seem to leave little room for any kind of outside influence.

I think it's very probable that PSO2 will be localized to the US though since JP isn't exactly known for their PC market and the US is such a prime target now a days. As well as the moderate success of PSOBB. Of course common sense hasn't really been Sega's strong suite either so who knows.

Griffin
Apr 16, 2012, 11:52 AM
"Global Support".

Evidently, the States aren't on the globe to some people!

Merumeru
Apr 16, 2012, 12:01 PM
XP I ain't expecting for them to know if its worth releasing in the west until they see how it does during OB in the east; they're just getting out of alpha, its way too early for them to figure out how it would fair THERE, let alone anywhere else

Botosai
Apr 16, 2012, 03:06 PM
Sega has stated that the game will be free to play and client will be downloadable from the net.
With this that means regardless of the region you live in you will be able to play the game.
As for translation, the game is more than likely going to be translated for EU which in turn means it will be in English thus will be legible by english speaking players.

Regardless I signed the petition.

Golto
Apr 16, 2012, 03:37 PM
I did see a video that had the credits all in English for pso2, whatever that may mean I'm not sure.

Misto
Apr 16, 2012, 04:05 PM
I did see a video that had the credits all in English for pso2, whatever that may mean I'm not sure.

Not to be a pessimist when I say this but I've owned other Japanese games that never made it to Europe or the US but found the localizing the credits and other aspects into English for some reason, so not sure how much weight that might actually hold unfortunately.

Jepp027
Apr 16, 2012, 04:47 PM
I am all for this. Waiting 10 years to play PSO again. I know basic Japanese but if I have to I will earn more. I probrably should anyway.

Tycho
Apr 17, 2012, 08:40 AM
Put this in the other thread as well, but this one seems to need it too. If you're petitioning just for a localization, at this point all indicators seem to point that way, so not sure why you're so worried about that. My old petition went a step further, as you said, though considering the support it got I didn't regard the boycott threat as damaging it -- though obviously that was a bluff for most people.

Internal references to lobbies: Normal, NewYearJapan, NewYearAmerica, Snow, ValentineDay, WhiteDay, GreenDay, SpringFestival, Sakura, MemorialDay, JuneBride, SonicLobby, WeaverFestival, FourthOfJuly, SummerFestival, FullMoon, SportsFesta, Halloween, ThanksgivingDay, PSO, WinterHoliday, LunarNewYear

Cyrusnagisa
Apr 17, 2012, 10:32 AM
its a Japanese based game, made by Japanese....... why would they put in American holidays -.-

r00tabaga
Apr 17, 2012, 10:36 AM
You can totally tell when it's a slow news day 'round here.

RocSage
Apr 17, 2012, 10:48 AM
its a Japanese based game, made by Japanese....... why would they put in American holidays -.-

Because Batman made them do it

coomdoom
Apr 17, 2012, 10:50 AM

Because if they're going to target the US Market, they want to cater to their holidays to make them feel more involved as it's probably the biggest country based market (rather than continent based market such as Europe) in the world. Also as it's been popular in the US (just look at how many were in the alpha and applied for the beta) it makes sense to target them as another market as the US, UK and other EU Countries will probably make half of their profit from the game, if not more.

moorebounce
Apr 17, 2012, 10:51 AM

The key to that is if a holiday can get you off work, drunk or both then its pretty much celebrated world-wide. lol

Akaimizu
Apr 17, 2012, 09:02 PM

"They're flexible."

^ Sorry. Had to say that. I always wanted to give the exact same response to a very similar question made in the movie "Die Hard".