PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 on Mac Observations and Help

Quebe_Lae
Apr 18, 2012, 10:53 AM
I'm currently on a 2011 15" MACbook PRO, and decided if anyone else was on the dark side and needed help with installing or using the game/ character creator that there should be an easy to read thread for the process.

4/18
With the character creator I was initially unable to save my characters. I discovered this was likely do to write permissions since I was using VMware Fusion 3 and a version of WinXP. After a bit of fiddling with turning the shared folders on an off, I was able to save my character files.

While using my virtual machines I usually get around a 2000 score on the benchmark. It hasn't allowed me to turn on the shaders. While I think this would probably be playable, I want to see how well I can make this Macbook run PSO2.

I've made a backup with SuperDuper! of my whole HD and OS and I am preparing to make a partition for Bootcamp to see how much of an improvement there will be on an "actual" Windows machine rather than a virtual one.

I have about 14 hours to figure out bootcamp and install windows and the beta onto there. I'll update with any hiccups or progress.

Aiex
Apr 18, 2012, 10:59 AM
I've never had any problems running on Mac. I have a 2010 iMac with min specs, so I'm sure you'll be fine. If it's not in a virtual machine it is literally no different than any other PC.

Kudwafter
Apr 18, 2012, 11:26 AM
I'm on a 2011 27" Imac running windows 8, installing bootcamp is not that hard actually, it's better then running the game in VMWare

Skyly
Apr 18, 2012, 11:39 AM
13inch 2011 MacBook Pro
Windows 7 via bootcamp
Game runs smoothly so far.

Any suggestions on playing with my Xbox 360 controller while running bootcamp? Will I need special drivers or is it just plug and play?

Kudwafter
Apr 18, 2012, 11:47 AM
13inch 2011 MacBook Pro
Windows 7 via bootcamp
Game runs smoothly so far.

Any suggestions on playing with my Xbox 360 controller while running bootcamp? Will I need special drivers or is it just plug and play?

Should be plug in and play if you have a wired controller, if you have a wireless controller you'll need an wireless adapter, alternativly you can use a PS3 controller with DS3Tool(i think that's what it's called) and set it to basically emulator a xbox 360 controller

Quebe_Lae
Apr 18, 2012, 12:04 PM
Update:

"Which versions of Windows work with Boot Camp 4.0?

You can use Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, or Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate with Boot Camp 4.0. Windows XP and Windows Vista are not supported with Boot Camp 4.0. "

Welp. Hrm. Any ideas? I really don't feel like splurging $200 on a Japanese enabled Win7 when I have a perfectly serviceable Windows XP key.

Rhypht
Apr 18, 2012, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I'm running Windows 7 through bootcamp on a brand new 27" iMac as well. Boot camp took me about an hour to completely finish, and it has been working flawlessly ever since.

Clunker
Apr 18, 2012, 12:17 PM
This thread is relevant to my interests.

Looks like several folks have a setup like me (2011 MacBook Pro), so I'm curious to see the best way to run PSO2 without buying a windows machine.

I was thinking of "Bootcamp" + Win7 Premium... But will be keeping eyes on this thread.

Kudwafter
Apr 18, 2012, 12:46 PM
Update:

"Which versions of Windows work with Boot Camp 4.0?

You can use Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, or Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate with Boot Camp 4.0. Windows XP and Windows Vista are not supported with Boot Camp 4.0. "

Welp. Hrm. Any ideas? I really don't feel like splurging $200 on a Japanese enabled Win7 when I have a perfectly serviceable Windows XP key.

I still think i'm using boot camp version 3.1, should be able to find it online somewhere

Quebe_Lae
Apr 18, 2012, 01:49 PM
I still think i'm using boot camp version 3.1, should be able to find it online somewhere

T_T I think I'm SOL since I'm running on Lion.... Uuuuaaagh. Time to ask father for a present?

Kudwafter
Apr 18, 2012, 01:51 PM
T_T I think I'm SOL since I'm running on Lion.... Uuuuaaagh. Time to ask father for a present?

I'm not sure but can't you install windows without going through the stuff on OSX then install Bootcamp 3.1?

Or do you need windows 7? for 4.0 to work? Because i might have a spare Home premium key

Quebe_Lae
Apr 18, 2012, 03:01 PM
I'm not sure but can't you install windows without going through the stuff on OSX then install Bootcamp 3.1?

Or do you need windows 7? for 4.0 to work? Because i might have a spare Home premium key

It pretty much won't even let me do anything with creating a partition through bootcamp unless I have Windows 7. How barlgo. Pretty annoying.

Maybe I can create a bootable partition, then install 3.1 like you said?

Misto
Apr 18, 2012, 03:02 PM
It pretty much won't even let me do anything with creating a partition through bootcamp unless I have Windows 7. How barlgo. Pretty annoying.

That might have to do with limited driver support. I'm not aware of Vista/XP having driver support for Apple's hardware.

Quebe_Lae
Apr 18, 2012, 03:21 PM
Basically only Bootcamp 4 will work right with Lion/is fully compatible. It's what the OS shipped with.
And Bootcamp 4 will only work with Windows 7.

If I wanted to make a partition and install Windows XP, I would have to hope all the fun drivers and things created for Leopard in Bootcamp 3.~ would work with my Lion OS.

The potential failure after all that effort paralyzes me. I have my drive backed up, but I really don't want to deal with creating a big partition just for fail fail fail.

I found an older guide on the internet:
http://www.chipcollection.com/tutorials/tutorial-installing-windows-on-partitioned-mac-without-bootcamp/

And it would require me to install two new programs and make the partition... This combined with the dizziness provided by my prescription leads me to just want to see how I'll fare with VMware Fusion 3's virtual machine.

Kudwafter
Apr 18, 2012, 03:30 PM
Basically only Bootcamp 4 will work right with Lion/is fully compatible. It's what the OS shipped with.
And Bootcamp 4 will only work with Windows 7.

If I wanted to make a partition and install Windows XP, I would have to hope all the fun drivers and things created for Leopard in Bootcamp 3.~ would work with my Lion OS.

The potential failure after all that effort paralyzes me. I have my drive backed up, but I really don't want to deal with creating a big partition just for fail fail fail.

I found an older guide on the internet:
http://www.chipcollection.com/tutorials/tutorial-installing-windows-on-partitioned-mac-without-bootcamp/

And it would require me to install two new programs and make the partition... This combined with the dizziness provided by my prescription leads me to just want to see how I'll fare with VMware Fusion 3's virtual machine.

All i can think of is for you to download windows 7 home premium online, contact me through skype and i can give you my key for you to install, however i'm not 100% if key will work which means you would to get some sort of program to do something special to that copy of windows 7 installed, or buy a key

Quebe_Lae
Apr 18, 2012, 03:40 PM
All i can think of is for you to download windows 7 home premium online, contact me through skype and i can give you my key for you to install, however i'm not 100% if key will work which means you would to get some sort of program to do something special to that copy of windows 7 installed, or buy a key

Thank you for the help! I'm going to see what the web offers in the realm of Win7 DLs.

Skyly
Apr 18, 2012, 03:48 PM
There's still the official M$ release of the .iso file to install windows. It's only a 30 day trial so it would be up to you to activate it. I used it myself.

Update your software via Apple software update.
Run bootcamp assistant.
That'll create a partition on your HDD for Windows
Load the Windows .iso via USB or install disk and everything after that is a breeze.
After Windows installs just load up the OSX disk that came with your computer and it'll update the drivers for bootcamp in Windows

I did this over the weekend and it's fully functional.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/boot_camp_install-setup.pdf

That's the official guide from Apple Support.

Quebe_Lae
Apr 18, 2012, 10:30 PM
Yeaaah, mine didn't come with a disc. Maybe because it was a refurbished one from apple?

Sooooo I procured a copy of Windows 7 and now I'm getting in the 6000's for the benchmark. Wooo!

It still can't seem to handle the shaders though. Crashes every time. Hrm.

Clunker
Apr 19, 2012, 03:13 AM
Was your mac a late 2011? Mine was, and did not come with any discs either...
even though it was a brand-new machine.

How did you get around the need for that disc?

Quebe_Lae
Apr 19, 2012, 05:56 AM
Was your mac a late 2011? Mine was, and did not come with any discs either...
even though it was a brand-new machine.

How did you get around the need for that disc?

Let's just say google? The best way of installing bootcamp for Lion is definitely with Windows 7.

Once you have an .iso file, this is how you burn it to a disc on a mac:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060619181010389

Clunker
Apr 22, 2012, 12:06 AM
So, once you've gotten W7 on your mac, how did the Benchmark like your setup?

Quebe_Lae
Apr 22, 2012, 12:32 AM
So, once you've gotten W7 on your mac, how did the Benchmark like your setup?

Got a "6964". Which is about 3x better.

Clunker
Apr 22, 2012, 12:43 AM
O.o!
That means that as far as PSO2's concerned, you're a bit past max stats right?
What about when/if you tried shaders?

Interesting; I'd just gone to a build-a-pc joint and worked out a possible native PC for about $1k.

May I ask what your machine's CPU, RAM, and graphics card are?
My own mac's details: CPU - 2.5GHz Intel Core i7 Quad-Core; 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM;
and finally, a AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB Graphics Card.

As stated up-thread, this is from a late 2011 17' Macbook Pro,
so it's starting to sound as if you've got a comparable system.

Don't suppose you can toss up a few screens or perhaps create a Youtube vid?

Quebe_Lae
Apr 22, 2012, 04:34 PM
Shaders... make it crash. Can't have everything I suppose.

I don't think bootcamp can work with the quad core thingies... I read that somewhere once. Still, I am quite satisfied with my game performance. It is playable, and any bugs or lag seem to be due to beta/server stress.

Clunker
Apr 22, 2012, 04:44 PM
Wow, 6k! So the vid quality (besides shaders) seems to be good, then?

As for Bootcamp not working with quad cores - I would be highly doubtful that it would NOT work.
Otherwise, why included it with Lion on the quad-core Macs?

Yeah, I'm running Windows 7 through bootcamp on a brand new 27" iMac as well. Boot camp took me about an hour to completely finish, and it has been working flawlessly ever since.

-but Rhypht, since your iMac likely runs Lion, how did *you* get around the "no Lion OS Disk" issue that Bootcamp requires?