PDA

View Full Version : Your Closed Beta Impressions?

LeoTheFabulous
Apr 19, 2012, 07:13 AM
Incredibly early topic? Yes.

For someone like me who hasn't played anything related to phantasy star since PSU and wasn't in the alpha, I'm really enjoying this game now. I really fond of the rangers play style of a TPS and look forward to playing the rest of the classes.

So what are your thoughts on the current state of the game?

nadespam
Apr 19, 2012, 07:14 AM
lag, the end.

Wayu
Apr 19, 2012, 07:16 AM
Too damned used to lock-on combat (PSP2i). This'll take getting used to...

That and lag really kills.

-Wayu

Dragwind
Apr 19, 2012, 07:18 AM
At the moment, it's far too early to really say much, especially with how much abuse the server is taking.

From what I've been able to do so far? I'm having a lot of fun with FOcast. Melee damage and tech damage seems to be pretty close, making for a fun and balanced combination of tech blasting, a couple of melee hits for PP regen and decent damage, followed by more tech blasting.

Mike
Apr 19, 2012, 07:22 AM
Loving the lag. I think I spent 10 minutes fighting a single darker with a stupid gunslash for a client order. I'm waiting for the player's site to load now but it looks like that's getting pounded too.

Nurusanura
Apr 19, 2012, 07:25 AM
I'd have to say I really love getting back into Phantasy Star. I am pretty sure this game can compete with Tera in the gameplay aspect but the server abuse is just killing me. I know it's a beta, but even Tera had an almost flawless server response when I tried it out. I do understand that the servers are in Japan, but through watching some alpha videos, it didn't seem like anyone was having this much trouble.

LeoTheFabulous
Loving the lag. I think I spent 10 minutes fighting a single darker with a stupid gunslash for a client order. I'm waiting for the player's site to load now but it looks like that's getting pounded too.

Wow that bad? I mean, I've been disconnected like 3 times but so far I haven't encountered anything like that.

Wayu
I can't even play anymore. ^^;

-Wayu

AweOfShe
Apr 19, 2012, 07:27 AM
I'm having too much trouble keeping a steady connection myself. I disconnect like, every 5 to 10 minutes. :lol:

Ark22
Apr 19, 2012, 07:29 AM
I never d/c but I was attacking a standing enemy for a good 3 minutes and it just died. To much lag, but the gameplay makes up for it.

ClothoBuer
Apr 19, 2012, 07:33 AM
So far, I'm loving how the combat flows, even though it did take some time figuring out the keybinds so I could import them to the G13, but I'm absolutely hooked on the Ranger playstyle. But, this lag is pretty bad. I mean, I expected it to be bad, but this is pretty severe. Spent 3 minutes just waiting for weapons to load in, then another 2 to hope I could kill something. Guess they're getting good reads on their server stress tolerances today.

Edit: And first server disconnect.

NinjaSalad
Apr 19, 2012, 07:34 AM
When it works it's great. It usually doesn't work due to lag. Hoping as time goes on performance will be better, and the problems atm are just server congestion

Clessy
Apr 19, 2012, 07:35 AM
Unplayable right now. Huge server issues. If they couldnt handle this many people they shouldnt of sent out so many beta invites.

Mike
Apr 19, 2012, 07:38 AM
Unplayable right now. Huge server issues. If they couldnt handle this many people they shouldnt of sent out so many beta invites.

It's a beta test. Seeing if the servers can handle so many people is part of the test.

Nurusanura
Apr 19, 2012, 07:40 AM
It's a beta test. Seeing if the servers can handle so many people is part of the test.

Was about to mention that. Though tests like this usually are considered into Open Betas. I guess they really didn't expect this at all. They may even have to cut this Beta short, and start it up again at a later date.

Mag-X
Apr 19, 2012, 07:42 AM
My impression is that it's a normal thusday morning, so I still won't be able to play another 11 hours. :(

Wayu
Apr 19, 2012, 07:43 AM
Okay, can't even sign on now...yeesh. That's some crazy traffic.

-Wayu

terrell707
Apr 19, 2012, 07:43 AM
Loving it so far. Technics are fun and loving the Talis!

Syaorandc
Apr 19, 2012, 07:47 AM
I'd have to say I really love getting back into Phantasy Star. I am pretty sure this game can compete with Tera in the gameplay aspect but the server abuse is just killing me. I know it's a beta, but even Tera had an almost flawless server response when I tried it out. I do understand that the servers are in Japan, but through watching some alpha videos, it didn't seem like anyone was having this much trouble.

There is lag even for those of us in Japan. I am just 15km away from Tokyo with a 11MB/sec down / 4MB up connection (Thank you NTT) and I am getting massive lag.

PSO2 has potential but there are a few things I find annoying so far ^^;;

My impression is that it's a normal thusday morning, so I still won't be able to play another 11 hours. :(

That is a good time to play as that is 9AM in Japan and most people will be at work. Right now it is 9:48PM so everyone is on. Tomorrow and the weekend will be worse.

Crystal_Shard
Apr 19, 2012, 07:49 AM

-Wayu

There is a lock on button. At least there was in the Alpha. Press and hold Q, or set it to toggle instead.

Anyway, snap thoughts:

Alfin is annoying.
Liking Echo so far.
Zeno feels like a merged Ethan/Leo expy.
Story mode so far seems to take it's cues from PSPo2i.
So far combat is as it was in the Alpha, if a little easier thanks to my new mouse.

Dark Emerald EXE
Apr 19, 2012, 07:51 AM
Im for one surprised my computer is running this game...even at lowest settings.

Like what everyone has already mentioned...the lag spikes was horrible.
And I'd DC rather often....maybe like....every 20ish mins and just in case i monitored my internet connection and it never dropped so was the game itself.

I do love how what drops on your screen doesn't affect everyone else....or atleast that's what I notice...

Other then the lag spikes,DC and the rather long transition between loading screens.. I was enjoying myself.

Of course my experience on game is kind of hindered atm....the game doesn't seem to treat my controller like it suppose to.
I can't use right analog to move camera. But I manager to go around that for now.

Fangless
Apr 19, 2012, 07:54 AM
Epic lag aside, I am loving playing Force with the new cards. I feel more like an Acrotecher or something than just a Force. And being able to chain physical hits with techs is just crazy.

Crystal_Shard
Apr 19, 2012, 08:06 AM
Going to to hide in MyRoom for a while and do some setting up. Good chance to practice lobby actions and the shortcuts.

Barely escaped another disconnection a moment ago I think.

Edit: annnnnd didn't escape it after all.

TsukasaPasta
Apr 19, 2012, 08:10 AM
So far this game is beautiful and I havent had any lag or disconnection problems.

Wayu
Apr 19, 2012, 08:19 AM
Okay, my impression now of the closed beta is pretty close to solid disappointment. Nice gameplay and all that, but the lag is so ridiculous I can't even GET to play.

-Wayu

TsukasaPasta
Apr 19, 2012, 08:21 AM
are you guys suffering that much? x_x I have like no lag whatsoever and im doing missions just dandy however I only see japanese players and im on ship 2, might have seen on other english person though. Been on for an hour now

AweOfShe
Apr 19, 2012, 08:22 AM
The gun-blade is pretty awesome.

I'm also playing using the 360 controller. Feels nice. Didn't take long to get used to at all.

Wayu
Apr 19, 2012, 08:24 AM
are you guys suffering that much? x_x I have like no lag whatsoever and im doing missions just dandy however I only see japanese players and im on ship 2, might have seen on other english person though. Been on for an hour now

You, my friend, are either incredibly lucky or live in SEGA HQ.

-Wayu

TsukasaPasta
Apr 19, 2012, 08:25 AM
You, my friend, are either incredibly lucky or live in SEGA HQ.

-Wayu

I think im just incredibly lucky xD only took 3 tries to log in and havent had trouble since then, been getting S rank on my missions solo lol. Well I hope I see the rest of you sooner or later when congestion clears up x_x

AnnabellaRenee87
Apr 19, 2012, 08:26 AM
The music is actually good vs PSU. The combat system is fun. Its really pretty.

Lag sucks, I thought boxes took several hits to open untill I realized I had been trying to open boxes for almost 50 seconds, 30 hits latter I said to my self, Stop, 5,10,15,20 they exploded open.

I cant wait to get off work today and go play again.

TsukasaPasta
Apr 19, 2012, 08:28 AM
haha yeah I was beating this box for like a solid 10 seconds and it randomly exploded, picking up drops takes like a few seconds. everything else is fine so far though.

AnnabellaRenee87
Apr 19, 2012, 08:33 AM
Besides opening boxes or some loading screens I didn't notice that much lag, of course I have a 50/1.5 internet connection. Pings to some of the speedtest sites in Japan are usually 80-180 MS.

Xenobia
Apr 19, 2012, 08:35 AM
Raw speed is useless. The stuff a game needs is SYMETRIC FTTH connection, it rox as hard that any other stuff is like dinosaur format. 50/50 or even 30/30 is more powerful than 100/5 or something like that. Anything above 50 Mbit is rarely used and there is close to no server able to provide that speed, if so, it comes at a price. High upload is insane gain for video sharing (youtube and such) and of course... the power of symetric = best ping ever.

Vashyron
Apr 19, 2012, 08:42 AM
Actually managed to get to the spider boss. (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596968331511247202/E55E571FB3F40C272D2B22E5A60B8EFDC64FE5DA/)

Unfortunately ran out of time due to extreme lag in a code elimination and rescue.

Fix it soon Sega. :v

Sanada Yukimura
Apr 19, 2012, 08:45 AM
This game is really good. it runs very smooth. im liking this hunter cast alot. i was going to spec into ranger but i guess not... at least for now... i will say this game will be 10x better once this god forsaken lag is gone

Xenobia
Apr 19, 2012, 08:47 AM
And god forsaken disconnects... even worse!

Hmm my char seems good but i have to change voice.. kinda not the right sound. Kinda hard, still plagued by disconnect errors and cant read the stuff.

goldwing
Apr 19, 2012, 08:55 AM
I love it!!! Same complaints as everyone else but love the music even the loading screen just has a homie feel to it. But that could b the excitment talking...

Sanada Yukimura
Apr 19, 2012, 08:58 AM
just figured id point this out anyone else notice is vashyron pic his ishh is in English? what is this sorcery

KaoPyro
Apr 19, 2012, 09:03 AM
just figured id point this out anyone else notice is vashyron pic his ishh is in English? what is this sorcery

Since we can't post on here, there's nothing I can tell you. But normally when I'm confused about something, google has the answer *hint hint*

DeltaViolet+
Apr 19, 2012, 09:07 AM
Catastrophic LAG!!!

Xenobia
Apr 19, 2012, 09:15 AM
Since we can't post on here, there's nothing I can tell you. But normally when I'm confused about something, google has the answer *hint hint*

I cant follow, Is the stuff under ND?! I had in mind its free to post.

Mike
Apr 19, 2012, 09:31 AM
No client modification.

Also, the new voice for the emergency trials is way too cheesy. Once the player's site is less laggy, I'm gonna submit that.

TsukasaPasta
Apr 19, 2012, 09:34 AM
the emergency trial voice makes me laugh so much xD

Wayu
Apr 19, 2012, 09:38 AM
Miku, you're a bloody lag magnet for me. Every time I see you I'm like OHEY MIKU and then BANG 630 error.

-Wayu

Kazzi
Apr 19, 2012, 09:38 AM
No client modification.

Also, the new voice for the emergency trials is way too cheesy. Once the player's site is less laggy, I'm gonna submit that.

Oh i'm so glad it is actually a new voice, I thought I was going crazy!

Mike
Apr 19, 2012, 09:39 AM
Miku, you're a bloody lag magnet for me. Every time I see you I'm like OHEY MIKU and then BANG 630 error.
It must be mutual cause I was just 630'd.

EDIT: 630 is the "no response from server" error for those of you who can't read Japanese.

Xenobia
Apr 19, 2012, 09:39 AM
Now i still need to know how to make changes to the char once its been created? I wanted to recreate but kinda cant find out how it works. It seems like the option is grayed out. Voice is to pitchy.. have to change it.

About the 630 error i certainly dont need to read japanese in order to understand its issue.

Crystal_Shard
Apr 19, 2012, 10:18 AM
Had a decently stable run then DC'ed. Oh well. Also, yes, that new emergency trial guy is pure cheese concentrate. The servers seem to have gotten slightly more stable, but staying in the lobbies is still a bit suicidal imo.

Wayu
Apr 19, 2012, 10:19 AM
My beta experience in one screenshot:

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss135/iRathiest/PSO2/pso20120419_231724_004.jpg

-Wayu

KaoPyro
Apr 19, 2012, 10:19 AM
Had a decently stable run then DC'ed. Oh well. Also, yes, that new emergency trial guy is pure cheese concentrate. The servers seem to have gotten slightly more stable, but staying in the lobbies is still a bit suicidal imo.

That would explain why forums have gotten slower.... *twiddles thumbs* almost done with my shift... just 40 more minutes...

LK1721
Apr 19, 2012, 10:53 AM
I was only disconnected twice in 3 or so hours of playing, I don't know why I am so lucky.

So far I am really liking the combat flow and how well this plays with an XBOX360 controller.

Though sometimes the lag is just horrible where I am shooting something for minutes at a time and it doesn't respond.

Xenobia
Apr 19, 2012, 10:57 AM
I experience bugs already, at voice. Now i noticed that the original voice was OK but sometimes it just loads something wrong. Its so weird.

Generally, very bad server response time.

Now i wasted AC to get a second char slot, in order to check out another voice because i was unable to delete the old one. Apparently i do need a certain item, but i cant understand why it just cant charge me the AC for... and do it. Anyway, i think my data gets deleted when beta is over, so it doesnt matter so much. Beta is here for testing.

Its just so dirty difficult to test out all the stuff with all the connection issues going on, and always hard to log back into the game. seriously.

Eggobandit
Apr 19, 2012, 11:02 AM
The good:

The improvements over a2 are very obvious and feel great

The full body motion blur sneak is amazing.

The bad:

The game feels like a F2P title now. Leveling feels SIGNIFICALTLY slower, and the game holds your hand through far too much now. I enjoyed how the Alpha just threw you into the game. I probably wouldnt mind the story mission if i understood JP, but restricting your menu and equipment at level 1 is just annoying.

In Alpha 2, I was able to help slower players in lower missions and feel like i was getting somewhere. But in Closed Beta, i can do an entire mission and watch my EXP bar not move. That does not make me happy in the slightest.

Im actually sad they removed the screen blur impact effect for Swords. Makes my hits feel somewhat weaker than in a2.

Paying for a character slot is cool. Deleting them because you forgot to alter your voice and having to pay to make them again in the same slot, however, is NOT cool. Hopefully this was just an oversight and not intentional on Sega's part. Im willing to believe that it was not intentional. If it is though, it needs to change and fast.

Finalzone
Apr 19, 2012, 12:00 PM
Initial impression:
- Running the game at low setting on Toshiba Satellite C650D (AMD E-350) means smoother animation, setting the shader level to 3 tax the system but managed to be playable.
- Visually at low setting, it reminds PSU series
- Control is easy to get into. I like the ability to guard to with sword. Jumping significantly made a lot difference from the previous PS online series. Chaining attack is very straighforward. My concern about lack of dual wielding weapon is gone after trying gunblade.
- Lag was the major concern on several case. The test was done wirelessly.

Zinaida
Apr 19, 2012, 12:05 PM
Lag's not that bad, it's easy as all hell to navigate, and I'm enjoying myself.

As it should be.

NoiseHERO
Apr 20, 2012, 01:38 AM
I didn't see any lag issues, I just straight up couldn't log on for a while at ALL. But once I fixed it (I reinstalled it weird last time.) I was able to get in fine, laglessly. Probably because everyone in Japan went to bed.

From there... TL;DR: Best fucking game ever, it's as good as I thought it was gonna be.

After doing the urban emergency mission, DEFINITELY the best fucking game ever. I'll be on the JP servers for sure, but can't wait till this game comes out, and then again in english/english options come up.

DreXxiN
Apr 20, 2012, 01:50 AM
Haven't tried it yet but from streams it looks like nostalgic heaven! The sound effects, environments, graphics, music, and combat look exhilarating and I honestly cannot wait to play! I'm so giddy about it. :P

ClothoBuer
Apr 20, 2012, 01:58 AM
Now that I've gotten a solid 12 hours of playtime in, plus 6 hours to digest it, I can be a little more concise about my opinions.

Good:
-Max level graphics are quite appealing, even if they aren't Crysis-level detailed.
-Environments and maps are immersive, and don't feel overly restraining.
-Combat has a nice, even pacing to it, and feels very much like PSO combat should.
-Units adding visible adjustments to your outfits.
-Weapon designs.
-Leveling is neither easy nor difficult. Requires steady focus to achieve that next step, with just enough balance between fun and grind to make you want to work for it.
-The Forest music uses segments of the original PSO's Forest theme.
-The Photon Art linking system, being able to set your own chains on your weapons is a big step towards player personalization.

Bad:
-Server Lag (should be addressed, if not already)
-The tutorial locks you out of a lot of stuff.
-TPS Aiming, while easier for hitting weak points, has a tendency to shoot through mobs.
-Too many various menus, needs to be condensed.
-As Mike stated earlier, the new CODE: voice sounds really cheesy.
-Shops have little selection (likely the result of lower levels)

That's about all I can think of for now, time to sleep.

LiquidFriend
Apr 20, 2012, 02:00 AM
Leveling feels SIGNIFICALTLY slower

Gonna have to agree and I hope this is just a beta thing. Leveling seems like a pretty big chore once you get around to Level 5.

Porkmaster
Apr 20, 2012, 02:04 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrh909jM5J1qfddse.gif

TelleT
Apr 20, 2012, 02:06 AM
I just LOVE this game so far! Didn't experience any lag last night (Maybe cause it was night in japan, lol). Because I didn't dc once when I was afk for 2-3 hours. :)

Mike
Apr 20, 2012, 02:07 AM
-TPS Aiming, while easier for hitting weak points, has a tendency to shoot through mobs.
I haven't noticed being able to shoot through mobs unless you're using the piercing PA on rifles but I understand the menus. The lobby is for fighting menus while the field is for fighting monsters.

Dragwind
Apr 20, 2012, 02:10 AM
I haven't noticed being able to shoot through mobs unless you're using the piercing PA on rifles but I understand the menus. The lobby is for fighting menus while the field is for fighting monsters.

Well said, well said. I definitely need to level up my menu navigation skill. A good point was made too, I also agree that the menu system could use some condensing as well.

TelleT
Apr 20, 2012, 02:32 AM
One thing that I find annoying is that the quality of the symbols in the Symbol Chat isn't the same in the Creator and when you actually send em.

njdss4
Apr 20, 2012, 02:45 AM
Now that I've gotten a solid 12 hours of playtime in, plus 6 hours to digest it, I can be a little more concise about my opinions.

Good:
-Max level graphics are quite appealing, even if they aren't Crysis-level detailed.
-Environments and maps are immersive, and don't feel overly restraining.
-Combat has a nice, even pacing to it, and feels very much like PSO combat should.
-Units adding visible adjustments to your outfits.
-Weapon designs.
-Leveling is neither easy nor difficult. Requires steady focus to achieve that next step, with just enough balance between fun and grind to make you want to work for it.
-The Forest music uses segments of the original PSO's Forest theme.
-The Photon Art linking system, being able to set your own chains on your weapons is a big step towards player personalization.

Bad:
-Server Lag (should be addressed, if not already)
-The tutorial locks you out of a lot of stuff.
-As Mike stated earlier, the new CODE: voice sounds really cheesy.
-Shops have little selection (likely the result of lower levels)

That's about all I can think of for now, time to sleep.

Great list. Personally, I would add enemy damage being too high under the "Bad". I don't mind a challenge, but getting hit by 3 normal mobs and going from full health to dead is a bit extreme, imo. Definitely makes me think that all bosses would be able to one shot everyone with basic attacks except Hunters.

Also, all the menus are far too complicated. Even after applying the English patch, there's just too many steps to go from one chat to another, or to equip items, or many other things. Less is more.

I love being able to jump, and even moreso to shoot while in mid jump. Allows me to get off a lot more shots as a Ranger while still avoiding most enemy basic attacks (which, as previously stated, do a ton of damage...)

FerrPSO
Apr 20, 2012, 03:44 AM
Im lvl 7 (or 8 I dont remember now) and for me it didnt feel that long to level up, but I leveled two chars to 75 in FFXI when it was such a huge timesink so maybe Im used to it.

The real annoyance i found so far is being forced to do the story. I wish it was optional, you go to the counter and accept story misions and such, but having to progress into the story to receive more quest is anoying, especially because you cant just go down and do a full Forest run like PSO1, you can only do quests.

Other than that Im loving this so much.

njdss4
Apr 20, 2012, 03:54 AM
Im lvl 7 (or 8 I dont remember now) and for me it didnt feel that long to level up, but I leveled two chars to 75 in FFXI when it was such a huge timesink so maybe Im used to it.

The real annoyance i found so far is being forced to do the story. I wish it was optional, you go to the counter and accept story misions and such, but having to progress into the story to receive more quest is anoying, especially because you cant just go down and do a full Forest run like PSO1, you can only do quests.

Other than that Im loving this so much.

I'm level 6, and I don't feel that the story has been forced on me at all. I just hit ESC during cutscenes and skip them. No sense in watching a cutscene that's not subbed or dubbed in a language I understand :P

Also, there are floating object thingys that let you access another cutscene, but you can bypass them and just keep killing stuff.

FerrPSO
Apr 20, 2012, 04:11 AM
I'm level 6, and I don't feel that the story has been forced on me at all. I just hit ESC during cutscenes and skip them. No sense in watching a cutscene that's not subbed or dubbed in a language I understand :P

Also, there are floating object thingys that let you access another cutscene, but you can bypass them and just keep killing stuff.

Yup, but for example, theres just 4 quest you can do, after that you have to advance in the Matter board to receive new ones, and seems like I have to talk to some npc dude.

Maybe if I understand it wouldnt be that anoying.

Gama
Apr 20, 2012, 06:05 AM
about the symbol chat, it looks like the game creates images, so it would seem that theyre compressed and sent. "i might be wrong" but since theres quality loss... thats the first thing that came up to my head.

Agitated_AT
Apr 20, 2012, 07:09 AM
So yeah, impression time :p

Not gonna lie that this game is friggin awesome and is so true to its name. The towns and socializing is only improved upon. The town is really great and huge full of great places to hang out. There is alot of fun to have by jumping around, platforming etc. I managed to get on this high spot which didnt really have a road towards it. Felt like a bawss standing there as well

I went in with the PSO system in mind, but the way they inovated it, is really done well.
Alot of my complaints have been debunked. The fighting mechanics may seem easy and spammable(as u can hold down the attack button and the character will unlimitedly keep atacking with no pause in between), but once you get to know the AI, that wont be the case anymore, because they will attack you harshly. I do think that there should be a slight pause after a major combo (maybe 6/7 hits). Yeah if there is another feedback translator like with the alpha, i'd love to see this brought forward. I mean im okay with it, but a little pause wouldnt do much harm to balance it out a little more.

The forest's difficulty isnt that great, but i'm noticing good AI behavior, it is just not very agressive yet I think, so i am giving that they just made the learning curve easier for the bigger croud.

This game is awesome. Only gripes I have are with the visuals. It looks great in the forests, but in town there is this weird blue tint that makes everyone look white even if their character are more brownish. Its less pixelated than before as i managed to turn up some settings. I don't know but I think the visuals just seriously lack overall. Low polygon environments with great textures. Bad animations on NPC's. It's not really "that" great, but passable i guess.

Nonetheless however, I am having a blast.

If anyone is out there to bring forward some feedbacks, it would be mostly related to how weird everything looks in town etcetera. My character looks great imo, but she looks so dead in town. Uhh, and maybe if they could make the enemies more agressive, but they previously reduced that so i dont think that would happen.

Why do characters load so slow btw?

Xenobia
Apr 20, 2012, 07:12 AM
Loading? Your slowdown machine.

Nope... the truth is...server, surprised? When i finished one of my matter quests, it took the server like 3 min in order to change my matter board. It was confusing because the game told me that the mission is finish and items gotten... but matter board remain unchanged. Then when i entered lobby, it took several min in order to load, and i was unable to move.. My PC specs is far superior, it would load in 2-3 sec, those few characters and its area.

I dont care in beta but its not the stuff i would pay big bucks for... Yes game is great and i enjoy it, but its very hard to play having those server issues. Generally somtimes when i pick a item it takes like half a min in order to land in my pocket. 30 000 ms... reaction time. Luckily it doesnt always happen, its some kind of peak situation. Usualy its playable at around 500 ms, but still rather laggy. Under good circumstances 300 ms is possible, but that does require a good server.

How to increase PSO2 value: Fix servers, maybe upgrade or what else. And remove that annoying GG... then it will technically get 2 times better. Game itself is already great, no need for changes except the matter that there is no EN language... (which is a easy matter tbh... some translators do it almost for free if Sega asking for). Remove GG is even easyer, the only real issue is to have better servers, because its pricy.

Agitated_AT
Apr 20, 2012, 07:24 AM
I just think its strange seeing grey models turn into something completely different after some time. I guess its better than seeing models apear out of nowhere, but when even the people behind the counter need to be loaded.... i dunno mayn

Xenobia
Apr 20, 2012, 08:04 AM
They do appear and disappear out of nowhere, sometimes. And are grayed out up to several min upon spawning. Ok im not IT expert so i cant say what nowadays machines are capable of, it surely is never successful, "hardware to strong server side is a fairy tale". Some servers such as Sega servers however, are notorious for being underpowered...
Prehaps, in term PSO2 is a big success they can afford some bigger babys. It certainly got the potency to be a big success.

How to do so:
-Release EN setting/translation.
-Keep AC stuff fair priced
-Update game content regulary
-Remove GG
-For the users to stay cool, as long as none forced to pay... it can be played for cheap, thus, some technical issues can be tolerated. And dont nuke servers when they close to die, general rule for any server. It will only make stuff worse. Best stuff to do is to make a short break or drink a tea, and maybe when done with the server will be back on the track.

= Spicy coins...

KaoPyro
Apr 20, 2012, 08:09 AM
I think the thing you might find most surprising about server-client communication is that it's all text, and each character is one byte of data. So the challenge is, how do you send important information concisely? If you're too loose, you'll clog both the internet and the server itself with data.

Agitated_AT
Apr 20, 2012, 08:11 AM
Well another little complaint: The mission complete music is way too loud for my taste. It should be something chilled like in PSO1. And it should just stop playing after awhile imo

AnnabellaRenee87
Apr 20, 2012, 08:28 AM
I noticed the textures just popping in and out on some characters too. I was standing in a group of people and everyone was just a place holder character. I thought well hey, its lag, the server is in Japan and getting hit with thousands of connections now. I literally walked away and walked back over to the group of people and then their textures popped back in. Could just be a normal bug in a Beta that needs to be fixed. :P

Griffin
Apr 20, 2012, 08:57 AM
It's the usual non-sync lag, but that's either client side or just plain distance from the server. It doesn't bother me too much since I can only see it on other people. The game runs a lot better than I had thought, even on medium settings. I'm pleased with the way the game looks at a decent frame rate.

I would probably enjoy it more if I knew what I was working with time to time, but I got the basics down and I'll be ready to tackle any US release.

Shivah
Apr 20, 2012, 09:13 AM
Things that could improve:

- I miss something for sorting characters. If you create a new character, automatically takes the first position in character list, moving possibly the main character, for example.

That's all for now XD I'm in love with this game!

AnnabellaRenee87
Apr 20, 2012, 09:36 AM
The Graphics are a lot better than I had thought, I was just looking through my steam screenshots from playing on my laptop and found that enemy's and characters are reflecting off the water.
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/576702133203256188/EA26FF71B19732092408EFF1DF01DFC4CD70EB24/
And that's on my laptop on "3" settings.

Randomness
Apr 20, 2012, 10:21 AM
The basic PAs need to have the stat requirements lowered a little I think - being a level 1 ranger/hunter and not being able to use any PAs besides the basic gunslash one is kind of silly (Newearl).

Only complaint so far, though.

All the throwbacks to PSO are enjoyable though, like the load screen for area movement... pipe with little sprite in it.

Zeota
Apr 20, 2012, 11:05 AM
I really like the flow of battles in this game. The emergency quests and random attacks during quests really add to the immersion factor. However, I too echo the sentiment of "too many menus."

Jinketsu
Apr 20, 2012, 11:28 AM
The basic PAs need to have the stat requirements lowered a little I think - being a level 1 ranger/hunter and not being able to use any PAs besides the basic gunslash one is kind of silly (Newearl).

Only complaint so far, though.

All the throwbacks to PSO are enjoyable though, like the load screen for area movement... pipe with little sprite in it.

That sounds like a normal RPG to me. Start at Lv 1 with one ability, and level up to gain more abilities.

CapitalG
Apr 20, 2012, 12:44 PM
I've only made it through the tutorial but I'm not having many problems so far. I'm digging the gunslash more than I thought I would. Only a slight amount of lag for me when hitting boxes, but other than that it's going well. Just need to get used to navigating the ship. I don't think I know where the item shop is. I looked at the storage, though, and I think 200 slots are plenty for free storage. Now, I'm not sure how much stuff is going to need to be stored, but that seems like a lot.

-Ryuki-
Apr 20, 2012, 01:13 PM
I really like it, not going to lie.
I'm sure if anything though I'd enjoy this game more if I played using a gamepad.
Putting that aside, I really, really enjoyed seeing some old and familiar faces.

Mega Ultra Chicken
Apr 20, 2012, 01:23 PM
It seems you can make your character silent in this game. Nice for those who didn't like voices in PSU.

AweOfShe
Apr 20, 2012, 01:50 PM
Charged Rabarta -> Gunblade PA -> air melee comboing (or repeated shooting). A fun way to juggle enemies. ;)

I love the flow of combat in this game. You can set up some pretty cool combos.

PKS
Apr 20, 2012, 01:51 PM
I don't even know as the game just close on me the moment I hit start.

Xaton
Apr 20, 2012, 02:19 PM
well hasnt played it but what i hear is more worried on the arcs cash system basicing haveing to pay for basic thigns in game. they should make that one time payment for upgrade accounti heard they have include storage upgrade and myroom. like a very very basic myroom. hopfully on feedback option alot of people complain on that stuff.

reptile7383
Apr 20, 2012, 04:49 PM
well hasnt played it but what i hear is more worried on the arcs cash system basicing haveing to pay for basic thigns in game. they should make that one time payment for upgrade accounti heard they have include storage upgrade and myroom. like a very very basic myroom. hopfully on feedback option alot of people complain on that stuff.

It's really not that bad of a system. Storage upgrade and myroom don't seem like they are needed and one character has all three classes. Besides not being able to trade free players seem to be able to play just fine.

Randomness
Apr 20, 2012, 05:14 PM
That sounds like a normal RPG to me. Start at Lv 1 with one ability, and level up to gain more abilities.

Actually, it's more like start with zero abilities. I don't even know if you'd technically qualify for the first gunslash PA if you didn't start knowing it - their stats are that low.

All that aside, I played a bit with the classes after hitting level 2 with em, and it's much better, now that I can actually DO THINGs. The launchers are awesome - slow firing, but they'll hit everything, and the basic PA from the shop lets you launch everything in the blast into the air so you can pound em some more.

Wired lances are a full-fledged weapon type, rather than some random tool. The basic combo hits a massive area, so they're probably the best choice for crowd control, though the basic PA is a much tinier area (but it's fun to pick up and throw rappies into enemies).

Partisans are basically what you'd expect, and swords feel similar to PSU. Launching enemies airborne then jumping after and going Tempest on them (For any Tales fans, you know what I mean) is enjoyable, but you can't link the airspin into itself without landing first, which is annoying.

buri-chan
Apr 20, 2012, 06:13 PM
My only complaint is over healing. Rock bear bitch slaps me across an area, then by the time the stupid Dimate animation plays it's already body slammed me, leaving me to wait for the getting up animation to play as I jam on the shortcut until some random wolf comes out of nowhere and taps me to death. Also a bit of confusion on at which point an enemy's attack makes it unstaggerable (entirely a word).

Xaton
Apr 20, 2012, 06:16 PM
It's really not that bad of a system. Storage upgrade and myroom don't seem like they are needed and one character has all three classes. Besides not being able to trade free players seem to be able to play just fine.

yea but haveing a room seems like a basic item to use hence why say itshoudl be one time purchace for the basic small room [bsicly a shack board aginst wall] type room and the shop be rent based that way players can decorate and stuff and let there be liek guild rooms that let the guild hang out be rent based or somthing.

Freshellent
Apr 20, 2012, 06:54 PM
Played a solid two hours or so as a RAcast, this is my first experience with the game and I can say it was more or less what I expected.

The speed of combat is a nice change from a lot of the games I've been playing as of late, I won't go as far as saying I'm impressed, but I'm definitely satisfied.

I have minor gripes with being locked into place with certain skills, but I honestly think it's for the better, as a option to let me fully control such a thing would cause a slight balance issue. Namely, using Launchers. They hit SO hard sometimes, but if you miss a shot your stuck, so committing is more of a personal defect than the design of the game itself.

I like that different weapons offer different mobility, I'm pleased with being able to customize my Photon Arts and chaining attacks is nearly seamless and rewarding.

I'd argue the bottom floor of the ship, where most of the players are near the counters is a bit too 'boring'. In the sense that I'd like something there, or maybe a slight color scheme adjustment. I only say this because it's the nature of a game like this for players to stick around in one area instead of branching out, you may as well make it more inviting.

I'd prefer if the Exact Attack visual cue was on my crosshair, instead of my character. I only say this because while I love looking at my character as much as the next guy, that's not where I'm looking as a RA.

I hope we are able to set weapons to different keys instead of a just the F key and mouse wheel. Again, this is personal preference but switching between them for me is just clumsy.

That's it for now, I'll update again once I've given the other jobs a shot.

terrell707
Apr 20, 2012, 07:00 PM
I hope we are able to set weapons to different keys instead of a just the F key and mouse wheel. Again, this is personal preference but switching between them for me is just clumsy.

You can change the button assignment in the settings. You can also use 1,2, and 3 on the numpad to switch as well (though that requires taking your hand off the mouse lol and again this can be changed in the settings to put it on the 1-0 instead of the num pad 1-0)

LazyRob
Apr 20, 2012, 07:03 PM
I'm very disappointed with the Forces in this game.
Looking at the skill tree we get, our Tier 2 skill ups our PP. By ONE.
So for every level I achieve, I can raise my PP by one single digit.
Recently I got to my tier 3 skills. Another PP increasing skill. I add a point in to it, it still gives me 1 extra PP.

This makes it very hard to cast offensive spells and heal your team when need be. Because the only way to make your PP regen faster is by attacking the enemy with a melee/ranged attack with your gunblade thing (As far as I can tell). Obviously the techs do more damage, but needing to chain in gunblade attacks too, just in order to have enough PP to heal... that's just unreasonable.
I'm level 12, and I have the exact same PP as my friend who is a Humar who just hit level 10.
Even with the best PP enhancing equipment I can find, I'm still maxed out at 107PP
I'm not looking for a triple increase of my total, but I would at least like to be able to kill 2-3 enemies without having to switch to my blade and melee a bit between each kill.

Aside from my class rant. I'm also kind of sad about what they've done to rare (red) item drops. Basically they're a bland customizable weapon? Lame. No more seeing a red on the ground and thinking "OMG COULD THAT BE *XYZ*???" That's probably my biggest complaint

And the one that everyone seems to be complaining about.
The matter board. The general idea is nice. But having to redo a level 5 quest to get one matter board quest, then moving on to a level 7 quest for the next matter board quest, and then having to move back to the level 5 quest again? That's just stupid. There needs to be more variation otherwise it just gets boring and repetitive -- And I'm talking more repetitive than just doing level runs through the original PSO

Randomness
Apr 20, 2012, 07:10 PM
I'm very disappointed with the Forces in this game.
Looking at the skill tree we get, our Tier 2 skill ups our PP. By ONE.
So for every level I achieve, I can raise my PP by one single digit.
Recently I got to my tier 3 skills. Another PP increasing skill. I add a point in to it, it still gives me 1 extra PP.

This makes it very hard to cast offensive spells and heal your team when need be. Because the only way to make your PP regen faster is by attacking the enemy with a melee/ranged attack with your gunblade thing (As far as I can tell). Obviously the techs do more damage, but needing to chain in gunblade attacks too, just in order to have enough PP to heal... that's just unreasonable.
I'm level 12, and I have the exact same PP as my friend who is a Humar who just hit level 10.
Even with the best PP enhancing equipment I can find, I'm still maxed out at 107PP
I'm not looking for a triple increase of my total, but I would at least like to be able to kill 2-3 enemies without having to switch to my blade and melee a bit between each kill.

Aside from my class rant. I'm also kind of sad about what they've done to rare (red) item drops. Basically they're a bland customizable weapon? Lame. No more seeing a red on the ground and thinking "OMG COULD THAT BE *XYZ*???" That's probably my biggest complaint

And the one that everyone seems to be complaining about.
The matter board. The general idea is nice. But having to redo a level 5 quest to get one matter board quest, then moving on to a level 7 quest for the next matter board quest, and then having to move back to the level 5 quest again? That's just stupid. There needs to be more variation otherwise it just gets boring and repetitive -- And I'm talking more repetitive than just doing level runs through the original PSO

Physical hits with rods and cards also restore PP. Cards have good range, and rods can hit multiple enemies.

I just looted an absurd gunslash PA though. It consists of lobbing a grenade, rolling back, and shooting it. The resulting explosion is huge (Rafoie style), and hits everything in it six or seven times for about as hard as a regular attack. I'm playing as a FOnewearl, and this PA outdamages EVERY SINGLE TECH I HAVE, even if they're charged.

Freshellent
Apr 20, 2012, 07:11 PM
You can change the button assignment in the settings. You can also use 1,2, and 3 on the numpad to switch as well (though that requires taking your hand off the mouse lol and again this can be changed in the settings to put it on the 1-0 instead of the num pad 1-0)

Ah, excellent. I can pretend I give a chit about this Naga mouse I have then. Thank you.

terrell707
Apr 20, 2012, 07:16 PM
Physical hits with rods and cards also restore PP. Cards have good range, and rods can hit multiple enemies.

I just looted an absurd gunslash PA though. It consists of lobbing a grenade, rolling back, and shooting it. The resulting explosion is huge (Rafoie style), and hits everything in it six or seven times for about as hard as a regular attack. I'm playing as a FOnewearl, and this PA outdamages EVERY SINGLE TECH I HAVE, even if they're charged.

I got that PA too. Its awesome. But it is crazy strong.I still prefer Gibarta over it though haha.

Randomness
Apr 20, 2012, 07:18 PM
I got that PA too. Its awesome. But it is crazy strong.I still prefer Gibarta over it though haha.

Yeah, it definitely needs a nerf. It has no business doing upwards of 2x as much as techs on a FOnewearl. That's beyond insane.

ZeroEx
Apr 20, 2012, 07:32 PM
So far, what do you guys think is the best Tech PA to go with.

soulpimpwizzurd
Apr 20, 2012, 07:39 PM
My only complaint is over healing. Rock bear bitch slaps me across an area, then by the time the stupid Dimate animation plays it's already body slammed me, leaving me to wait for the getting up animation to play as I jam on the shortcut until some random wolf comes out of nowhere and taps me to death. Also a bit of confusion on at which point an enemy's attack makes it unstaggerable (entirely a word).

i don't know what you're doing but the rock bear fight is really easy.

all you do is go in and wait for him to start charging up an attack, and then dodge away, let him fall down and attack him as he gets up. and he only bounces in one direction (i think) so that's easy enough to dodge as well.

overall i frigging love this game, especially the animation canceling. it's addicting and it makes the game really fast paced. dash attack is really fun, and the fact you can cancel dash using jump to dash again really fast to move faster than just regular running is awesome. it goes about 30% faster than the regular sheathed weapon run.

the animation canceling system is actually well done enough for me to believe pvp could be incredibly exciting. at least for hunters.

Randomness
Apr 20, 2012, 07:40 PM
So far, what do you guys think is the best Tech PA to go with.

Single targets? Foie, charged, JA'd. (Kind of obvious, though)
For groups, Gizonde. CHAIN LIGHTNINGS.

terrell707
Apr 20, 2012, 07:46 PM
Single targets? Foie, charged, JA'd. (Kind of obvious, though)
For groups, Gizonde. CHAIN LIGHTNINGS.

I think gizonde is the only one that I dont have lol so i frequent gibarta for groups. and foie is the best for single targets. Where can you find gizonde?

Dragwind
Apr 20, 2012, 08:25 PM

I have to say, this PA is definitely too powerful, unless it's the gunslash I'm using. It reminds me a lot of flame hit from PSZ, and just as broken.

Randomness
Apr 20, 2012, 08:37 PM
I have to say, this PA is definitely too powerful, unless it's the gunslash I'm using. It reminds me a lot of flame hit from PSZ, and just as broken.

No, it's not the gunslash. I have the second gunslash, and I can't match the output with the third card+4, three nice magic units, on charged, JA'd Foie. And let me remind you, FOnewearl to boot, so basically every possible stat is skewed away from physical weapons and into tech damage...

On the other hand, maybe this means racial differences aren't as extreme as before (Newmans being distant last outside of FO)?

sdDare
Apr 20, 2012, 09:16 PM
After playing for a bit I'm pretty disappointed in this game. It feels way more like PSU 2 than PSO 2. I loved PSO for its simplicity. You didn't need to run around in some big lobby to buy armor or weapons. You didn't need to do any quests to unlock areas. You just create a game, go through the first area, fight the boss, and after you kill the boss the next area opens up. You didn't need to hit a certain level to use mags. I dont understand why Sega based this game off PSU but touted it as a sequel to PSO.

LeoTheFabulous
Apr 20, 2012, 09:27 PM
I just got the PA where I ride around on my grenade launcher.

It's the only thing I need now...

Randomness
Apr 20, 2012, 11:34 PM
After playing for a bit I'm pretty disappointed in this game. It feels way more like PSU 2 than PSO 2. I loved PSO for its simplicity. You didn't need to run around in some big lobby to buy armor or weapons. You didn't need to do any quests to unlock areas. You just create a game, go through the first area, fight the boss, and after you kill the boss the next area opens up. You didn't need to hit a certain level to use mags. I dont understand why Sega based this game off PSU but touted it as a sequel to PSO.

Actually, the shop area is probably closer, relative to PSO's layout, ESPECIALLY Ep II's lobby.

Griffin
Apr 21, 2012, 12:01 AM
Dang! I was in the middle of the Volcano mission and got booted for emergency maintenance. Man, did I enjoy myself today.

buri-chan
Apr 21, 2012, 12:09 AM
Actually, the shop area is probably closer, relative to PSO's layout, ESPECIALLY Ep II's lobby.

And you've got the minishop right there in the ship. You can just walk literally two steps to sell everything, three steps to change to another mission, then five steps back into the portal.

Randomness
Apr 21, 2012, 12:30 AM
And you've got the minishop right there in the ship. You can just walk literally two steps to sell everything, three steps to change to another mission, then five steps back into the portal.

That too.

So far, this is a vast improvement on PSU. The custom melee PAs are awesome. The ability to set techs without them bound to a weapon is wonderful (since now I can put basic offense stuff on weapons, and then general support stuff on my bar and not have to keep switching to my healstick and buffstick, etc). The fact that guns actually HAVE PAs is great.

They took a lot of what PSZ did right into this (charged techs, gun PAs), which is good to see.

Clessy
Apr 21, 2012, 12:50 AM

Im with you. Fuck these stupid quest. I just wanna run my stages like pso.

Dark Emerald EXE
Apr 21, 2012, 12:56 AM
I just got the PA where I ride around on my grenade launcher.

It's the only thing I need now...

:o Jealous
Where did you get it?
I'm still using Divine which even that is a great PA

ClothoBuer
Apr 21, 2012, 01:14 AM

I agree about the being locked in place when you use a healing item, but the Rockbear isn't a hard fight. Watch his animations, and you'll find the pattern in a couple seconds. The only time he gave me any trouble was when he came up as a Code: Attack with a bunch of the monkeys around, kinda hard to kite him with 7 monkeys bouncing all over the place. Otherwise, sidestep his wide punch and belly flop and you'll have a solid 3-5 seconds of null time to heal.

Well another little complaint: The mission complete music is way too loud for my taste. It should be something chilled like in PSO1. And it should just stop playing after awhile imo

I actually really like that music, to the point where I'll just linger for a couple minutes and enjoy it.

About as accurate a statement as could be, the latter was. As for shooting through enemies, it may be client/server delay, or it could be registering it as missed shots, as there's a wider area of shot placement while mobile. Hard to say, but likely both.

Great list. Personally, I would add enemy damage being too high under the "Bad". I don't mind a challenge, but getting hit by 3 normal mobs and going from full health to dead is a bit extreme, imo. Definitely makes me think that all bosses would be able to one shot everyone with basic attacks except Hunters.

Rangers and Forces aren't supposed to be taking damage anyways, so it only makes sense that careless play will get you killed. Not unlike the original PSO, except they gave you more health to make up for the lack of dodging. Keep to high ground, and if there isn't any nearby, stay airborne, you can use your Dive Roll in midair to evade since some enemy attacks can hit you in air. Keeping your distance is priority one, and dodging is the means to do just that.

---------------------------

Couple things I'd like to add to my list, all good, now that I've had the chance to use them rather liberally:
-Traps have taken quite a step forward. Whereas in PSU you had to buy either time-delay or player-triggered traps, PSO 2 combines them. I do think they should stack more, and have more options, but the ones they give are more than potent. The addition of a throwable Stun Grenade is also a very welcome ability.
-The UI, while it has many menus, is superbly designed. Minimal, but detailed, and certain parts can be adjusted to suit.
-Emergency Events can be both good and great, depending on what you get. Going from a Code: Attack on a Boosted Rockbear to a Code: Duel with a Boosted Dark Ragne was quite an experience, and was loads of fun.
-Bosses dropping loot orbs. NOSTALGIA.

Eggobandit
Apr 21, 2012, 02:04 AM

this was done because healing in the other games were too easy and basically let you tank hits. The simple method to this is to know your surroundings and ESCAPE before you attempt to heal.

During a rockbear battle, get out of range of him and all his enemies, and wait until you're SURE hes in a recovery animation before you attempt to heal. Just like the PSO Hildebear, the Rockbear is capable of hopping clear across absolutely any distance to reach you. Always know where he is and who he's targeting. Ironically, it's probably hardest to escape enemies as Hunter, but this is because you're able to guard as well. You ARE using the guard button, right?

I find it MUCH easier to solo the Rockbear, than to fight him with other players on your team. He seems to be alooootttt more sporadic. But with just you, it's easy to dodge his moves and counterattack.

I had this issue with alpha test, but quickly got over it. Generally, the main thing to do is learn to conserve PP better. Forces seem to be Mid-range characters to me....If they had larger PP pools they could blast crap with techniques from clear across the map and never get touched as they heal PP and do it again.

In the BETA though, this should be absolutely no issue to you -- the Card weapon has a VERY fast combo, with no 3-hit delay (unlike melee weapons and guns). The only downside is that you can only shoot one at a time, so if you're too fast at a certain range you wont hit the enemy. Use the card to build up more PP and then attack more.

Also in the Alpha (not sure if it exists in Beta) there was a skill that let your PP charge while you were charging a technique, which pretty much effectively doubled or trippled the amount of techniques you could cast with one bar.

Forces are able to pull over 100 damage to large groups of enemies from level 1. They aren't supposed to be able to keep that up 24/7.

NoiseHERO
Apr 21, 2012, 02:15 AM
I've already gotten used to most of the menus, cept that one where you check your rankings.

Really loving the feel of not wanting to put my controller down as my character slowly gets stronger and more awesome. FINALLY unlocked, though I have nothing against the almost endless feeling forest.

The level designs and layouts of the quests in this game feel like a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGEEE apology for the tiny missions in PSO. and the Reskin hell series of boxes PSU wax. Nothing ever feels the same running through the forest, The city is huge and has all these settings going on, from running through the streets, to parking lots and plazas.

Though who knows... this game could STILL become reskin hell, they're going hard now, but when people are asking for new content every week... "NEW SPACE STATION MISSION" *Just the city mission, but all the buildings are a different color and there's a ceiling.*

Eggobandit
Apr 21, 2012, 02:19 AM
The AI is really good in this game. I think they can successfully pull off reskins.

PSO took reskins and reused animations, but for the most part was still able to make a reskin feel like a complete new enemy by simply giving it new moves and new uses for moves. (Like Sinow Berill to Sinow Zoa, or Chaos Bringer to Delbiter.). I think with the leaps and bounds in AI programming they could easily do this again.

Also, did anyone notice that if you wait for a monkey to pick up a boulder, and destroy the rock in his hand before he can chuck it at you, it'll break over his head and stun him? ATTENTION TO DETAIL

LeoTheFabulous
Apr 21, 2012, 02:19 AM
:o Jealous
Where did you get it?
I'm still using Divine which even that is a great PA

I honestly have no idea, I was helping my friend through the menus when I realized I had 2 level 3 Launcher PA's that which I never used. One was the riding one, the other shot out a rocket, only to explode into what I can describe as "An AoE of multi-hitting slashes", I believe it was called "Cracker Launcher" or something like that.

Also, might as well give my friend's opinion on the game. Keep in mind this is from a guy who has never even touched a Phantasy Star game.

He said the game was a ton of fun, and was loving how tight the controls are. Which is honestly something I really didn't take notice until he said that.

SELENNA
Apr 21, 2012, 02:25 AM
After playing beta a couple hours I really hope there's some kind of spaceship mission with locked doors and stuff. I'm OK with huge environements but I also enjoy smaller rooms to explore just like in PSO EP I & II

Agitated_AT
Apr 21, 2012, 02:27 AM
They should add a pause after 6/7 attacks imo. A vulnerable state so one doesn't keep on spamming attacks. I had been thinking wether this should be in the game or not as at the moment it's not bad without it either. But as I progress I do think a subtle change like this should be in there.

Eggobandit
Apr 21, 2012, 02:30 AM
there really isn't much of a reason to, enemies have tons of health and if you were to sit wacking away at them forever you'd be there for a very, very long time. or just get blindsided by another enemy.

It's useful against enemies you outlevel, but against formidable enemies spamming basic attacks is suicide. There isnt enough crowd control in regular attacks to stay safe and deal decent damage

NoiseHERO
Apr 21, 2012, 02:37 AM
It's also still better and only slightly slower to time attacks, dodge and mix in PA's.

Why would you want to play so boring as to just hold one button till something smacks you?

FenixStryk
Apr 21, 2012, 02:42 AM
So far so good. I'm not unhappy with anything in particular; all I'd like now is harder encounters, because Card Force is trumping everything in the beta. :shy:

EDIT: Completely slipped my mind, but playing during JP primetime on Day 1 was really miserable in terms of lag and connection issues. It would be nice if they ironed it out, but I could also see that being standard fare. Would be a shame, but it's not a huge issue since it's easy for Americans to sleep through the window.

My only regret is that I neglected Matters and Client Orders while I was still a low level, so I missed out on a few things... lesson learned. I've also had really bad luck with Foie disk drops; I didn't get Rafoie until Level 18, and I still don't have Gifoie... not that there's much I can do about that.

I'll probably focus on maxing the Charge/PP skills next time around; I made a beeline for Ice Mastery but the cap is too low to do anything with it, and it's not like I'm using just Ice. If anything, Fire is what I'll end up using most...

Good game, fun stuff, really interesting, I like it. :yes:

Eggobandit
Apr 21, 2012, 02:54 AM

inb4 nerf, sounds like the spinning Wired Lance PA in the alpha X_X

PSO2 seems to be very smart with their PA balancing though. Most hits on many multi-hit PAs do significantly less damage than even your regular hits, this is most apparent with the Sword and Partisan. I guess they forgot to do this for that PA.

Hayde
Apr 21, 2012, 03:14 AM
Speaking of PA, I'm trying to figure out the whole system; it seems I only know the PA for 2-Handed Photon Swords and the Gunblade. How do I go about learning additional ones--or any, for that matter when it comes to the Partisan and the Dagger-like-hook weapon (I have no idea what it's supposed to be)?

I looked down my skill tree and it seems I can place 1 point into either specialization further down the line--is this how I am supposed to learn PA's for these weapons? Thanks in advance.

NoiseHERO
Apr 21, 2012, 03:20 AM
Speaking of PA, I'm trying to figure out the whole system; it seems I only know the PA for 2-Handed Photon Swords and the Gunblade. How do I go about learning additional ones--or any, for that matter when it comes to the Partisan and the Dagger-like-hook weapon (I have no idea what it's supposed to be)?

I looked down my skill tree and it seems I can place 1 point into either specialization further down the line--is this how I am supposed to learn PA's for these weapons? Thanks in advance.

Those green discs you pick up in the field?

Those are PA's.

Don't throw away the ones in your bag that have sword/spear/wiredlance/gunslash icons on them.

First option learns them, if it's grayed out, you either already have the pa or a higher level of it, or you can't learn it YET.

Hayde
Apr 21, 2012, 03:24 AM
Those green discs you pick up in the field?

Those are PA's.

Don't throw away the ones in your bag that have sword/spear/wiredlance/gunslash icons on them.

First option learns them, if it's grayed out, you either already have the pa or a higher level of it, or you can't learn it YET.

They've been piling in the bank; thanks for the heads up!

Tsukento
Apr 21, 2012, 05:12 AM
So far, I'm loving the game. It's obviously a little difficult to get around with due to the difference in language, but it's nothing too major. It's *definitely* a step above and beyond what PSU had to offer. It's pretty much how I pictured PSO and the Portable series' love child to look like.

My only main issues are with the things that you have to pay AC for. When they said the game was turning F2P, I didn't think they'd be turning basic features into stuff you have to pay for, like trading or the often advertised "My Room." I'm also a bit confused, as I haven't attempted it, but are you only limited to one character per ship unless you use AC?

Agitated_AT
Apr 22, 2012, 07:27 AM
The enemies need to be alot more agressive on higher levels. That unlocked city mission was on level 16 while im level 8. I wasnt even doing my best and enemies just stood there while i was slicing them. I don't know. I feel like it aint right.

The AI is good, they just need to come at you more often is all, determined by their level

Neith
Apr 22, 2012, 07:33 AM
It's great, but I have a few problems with it:

1) The lag. I realise this is still Closed Beta so this can be sorted, but the amount of lag at JP peak times and disconnect errors can get a bit ridiculous. Plenty of time to fix it though.

2) Cash shop. It's way too extensive. I don't mind making some Arkz Cash purchases, but asking for AC to do something as minor as change hair colour? Kind of feels like I'm being taken for a ride.

3) Balancing. There still isn't a very good class balance. Ranger is still WAY too good (damage isn't a problem thanks to PAs and you have the safety net of range). There's a HU PA for Sword where you stun the enemy; this needs nerfing a bit in my opinion because it hasn't failed once for me. Again, early days and this might still need adjustments after release.

4) The matter board. I hate it. On a semi-related note, I also hate how much of a pain it is to unlock more missions. Would prefer it like PSU where you could choose what missions to do without the need for a lengthy unlock sequence. Sakai must be a fan of it because PSP2 was the same.

Aside from that, game seems good enough so far. I just don't think I'll ever bring myself to justify the extent of the cash shop.

Xenobia
Apr 22, 2012, 07:42 AM
Better to use it for something minor than major.. those who enjoy to pay for minor adjustment got to much cash anyway... and should use it.

In term its for something major, it becomes unavoidable and is actually "forcing" to use AC, which isnt the way it should be. Actually many stuff is major, but at least the game still becomes playable without using it.

FerrPSO
Apr 24, 2012, 06:14 AM
I just wish the Free mission maps were bigger, atleast in Forest (didnt doo the Caves Free mission).

I understand they want the Ark Quest to be like PSU, but atleast the Free mission should have a map desing similar to PSO (bigger and with more focus on exploration), alteast I think the Free mission wants to emulate the PSO style of just going thru Forest.

Also, the randomized sections arent that big as I suposed.
I mean, its the same as PSO and PSU, but if Im not mistaken, it was a pretty huge deal when this game was announced, that the maps would have a lot of randomized sections each time you enter.

Anyways, as I said, the majority of JP players doesnt care about that.
I never spam or talk that much on direct chat, but sometimes I do talk when theres a fun chat going on, and no JP player has never said anything bad to me about that, and I got some JP friends in FFXI.
The others who care... well, bad luck. Im not going to bother to anyone and I will be friend to whoever want it, being JP, english or whatever, but if this game is Global Im not going to blindly follow the rules of "how to play" from some nerd JP rude guy.

Dinosaur
Apr 24, 2012, 06:17 AM
In comparison to the alpha, I'm greatly disappointed. I was really hype about new content but it's almost like there isn't anything new(on top of taking some things out from alpha as well). Guess I'll have to wait till open beta.

Agitated_AT
Apr 24, 2012, 06:51 AM
The more I progress, the more dissapointed I get with the overall challenge and not being forced with some incentive to kill enemies. As i've said in another thread, doors and gates should be back in single party areas at least. Or even in multiparty areas if they could make it that players can only enter, and not exit a gate. I also think enemies are a little too easy.

The emergency mission is a big dissapointment as well. You would expect enemies that contribute to the theme. Mechs for example, instead u get the same generic monsters. They shouldn't be removed, I just think mechs should be there as well to make that city place feel more unique.

FerrPSO
Apr 24, 2012, 07:37 AM
The emergency mission is fine. Is an invasion from Dark enemies to the Main Ark Ship, so its logic that all the enemies are Dark type.

Enemies are easy, but lets keep in mind Forest is the first area, Caves is a little more challenging and we will have a 3er planet too in final release (and Hard mode).

The incentive to kill enemies... well for me is the EXP. We should see how worthile is at higher levels...

Alex305!
Apr 24, 2012, 08:08 AM
The enemies need to be alot more agressive on higher levels. That unlocked city mission was on level 16 while im level 8. I wasnt even doing my best and enemies just stood there while i was slicing them. I don't know. I feel like it aint right.

The AI is good, they just need to come at you more often is all, determined by their level

I agree I remember some enemies in PSO would not give you a break or stop chasing you until you are out the door. They would pounce and teleport or cast vicious magic. Besides that I have no problem with the game and a someone who played PSO since 2001 they did it right. There is room for some improvement but its like the director of this game and all of the devs took like 2 weeks off to play pso and make it feel like pso. They even had the "woob woob woob" sound from the telepipe! I'm really pleased with this game. Its a real sequel as they managed to keep it pso with adding so much innovation and improvements.

No more leveling PA's! You can pick up and play forces and gunners well now!

Ezodagrom
Apr 24, 2012, 08:31 AM
Enemies are easy, but lets keep in mind Forest is the first area, Caves is a little more challenging and we will have a 3er planet too in final release (and Hard mode).
Well, even though the game will be released with 3 planets, we don't know how many areas per planet will be available on release (apparently on the alpha 1 files 2 areas per planet were mentioned, but who knows if any of those will be available on release).

Golto
Apr 24, 2012, 08:31 AM
Having to pay money for resetting your skill tree makes me think they will get evil and add a new weapon type while you are at the lvl cap. So you couldn't get new weapon-specific skills without paying for them.

moorebounce
Apr 24, 2012, 08:43 AM
It's a little late but there are some things I like so far.

1. Being able to D-pad through your 1 - 0 keys so you don't have to use your keyboard.
2. Putting your items in storage no matter where you are.
3. Drops show up on your map.

KaoPyro
Apr 24, 2012, 08:53 AM
So far I've played up to level 15 without needing Arks Cash for anything. I can live easily without myroom, and the fact that drops are phased eases the no trading issue. The only thing I've really run into is I forgot to set my character's voice, so now I'm stuck with it the way it is. I can live, but it still bugs me a little. If I knew I could just remake at no cost, then it would be fine. The only other thing I see is wanting to respec or make new mags. I think mags should be like equipment or rare drops, but not AC bought.

As for gameplay, it's alot like PSO. I love the music and the combat. The thing with psu and pso is I realized the "random maps" were actually finite. I would recognize certain maps easily and it broke the random illusion. So far I have yet to run into that here, so a very nice improvement. Mobs are a lot more mobile. Probably some of the best AI I've seen yet in a game. Last, since there is no pvp, imbalance issues are not very noticeable. Sure range classes might be easier, but I personally think they aren't as fun and that keeps me playing hunter. The gunblade (or whatever it's really called) is a great addition to the arsenal. I love the different PS available with the choreography, and the way the combo system can work. All in all, it's like PSO was a pokemon and it evolved to make PSO2. I'm very happy with it.

FerrPSO
Apr 24, 2012, 08:54 AM
1. Being able to D-pad through your 1 - 0 keys so you don't have to use your keyboard.

But that is already possible, atleast with the X360 controller I can do it

Well, even though the game will be released with 3 planets, we don't know how many areas per planet will be available on release

Well, I think it will just be Forest, Caves, and the other zone (and City zone, of course)

I would recognize certain maps easily and it broke the random illusion. So far I have yet to run into that here, so a very nice improvement.

Well, atleast for me in Forest I recognise all the variables. But they can just add more for the final release I guess.

MysticBruin
Apr 24, 2012, 09:02 AM
I played PSO for several years, never touched PSU, and had very little knowledge of PSO2 before participating in this week's beta. I'd seen a couple screenshots of the game, but that's about it.

That said, I'm extremely impressed. It's everything I loved about the original and more. Right down to the interface, the graphics, and the music. It's like I'm playing a modern version of the original... yet, it doesn't feel stale. Even as a stand-alone Action RPG and not an online game it stands strong.

Yes there are bugs, as there are in most closed betas. Servers started out very rough, but have gotten better. Still have mixed feelings on the Matter Board, as I was a big fan of free roaming in the original. Unsure whether story mode will really add anything to the game or become an obstacle.

But overall, I'm a happy camper. I haven't been this enthralled in a video game for a long time. Good feelings.

KaoPyro
Apr 24, 2012, 09:18 AM
Well, atleast for me in Forest I recognise all the variables. But they can just add more for the final release I guess.

I used to be able to recognize whole maps. Variables are understandable. Re-arranging different pieces is how random generation works after all.

Ezodagrom
Apr 24, 2012, 09:22 AM
Well, I think it will just be Forest, Caves, and the other zone (and City zone, of course)
As I said in my last post, in the first alpha client they found 2 areas per planet being mentioned in the files (3 planets and the ship where the emergency city is located).
If all those areas will be available on launch or not, we don't know though, for all we know some areas could end up never being available.
Anyway, the areas that were found (spoilers, look at your own risk):
Forest, [spoiler]SnowMountain, Cave, DragonLand, Desert, Tunnel, NewUrban (emergency city), Stadium, and DarkFalzSeal.
Note that this was found in the first alpha client from August last year, who knows how many things have changed since then.[/spoiler-box]

Rauten
Apr 24, 2012, 11:38 AM
As I'm sure many have said before, my feeling is that this is finally it; The sequel all of us old PSO veterans were waiting for. And it is glorious.

Even though the game will be F2P, and I don't really think I'll need to pay a single dime to fully enjoy the game, I know I'll pay for at least my room and a shop, if only to support SEGA, because good god the game truly deserves it.

Kazzi
Apr 24, 2012, 11:41 AM
As I said in my last post, in the first alpha client they found 2 areas per planet being mentioned in the files (3 planets and the ship where the emergency city is located).
If all those areas will be available on launch or not, we don't know though, for all we know some areas could end up never being available.
Anyway, the areas that were found (spoilers, look at your own risk):
Forest, [spoiler]SnowMountain, Cave, DragonLand, Desert, Tunnel, NewUrban (emergency city), Stadium, and DarkFalzSeal.
Note that this was found in the first alpha client from August last year, who knows how many things have changed since then.[/spoiler-box]

I'm pretty sure Stadium is where you fight Dark Ragne as a proper boss :/ It sure as hell looks like one.

Ezodagrom
Apr 24, 2012, 11:44 AM
I'm pretty sure Stadium is where you fight Dark Ragne as a proper boss :/ It sure as hell looks like one.
Yeah, most likely you're right.

CapitalG
Apr 24, 2012, 01:11 PM
The only thing I've really run into is I forgot to set my character's voice, so now I'm stuck with it the way it is. I can live, but it still bugs me a little. If I knew I could just remake at no cost, then it would be fine.

Can't you change it at the Esthe Shop?

Rauten
Apr 25, 2012, 07:01 PM
Wow, just had a nerdfangasm; logged in, had a message saying, I think, that I got extra FUN points, so I thought "what the hell, let's use them on some scratch cards"...
Scratch number 1: World With Me. Wow. Sweet!
Scratch number 2: Can Still See the Lightgotoroomputinjukeboxandnerdgasm.

Jeff86
Apr 25, 2012, 07:38 PM
I'm really enjoying it so far. Feels like some sort of new, awesome PSO / Monster Hunter blend, but it still also feels like the good old PSO which I love.

One thing kinda bugging me is the chat window. I'd like it to be narrower but wider rectangle instead of that square shape we have. Oh well, I think I can let that slide.

Fayorei
Apr 25, 2012, 07:55 PM
So far, fun! The maps feel a little less open, but then again, when the multiparty maps open again that may change.

I've been soloing this time mainly(I started CBT up late, I forgot since there's a lot going on ATM)... and it still rocks! I find myself wishing my Japanese was much better so I could understand the Matter Board first-hand better- but hey, there's some great guides for that anyhow.:D

Speaking of the Matter Board: I checked out the objectives for it already in said guides. I am hoping they remove the arbitrary drop stuff, but keep the dynamics of maybe having to complete a certain code in a certain mission and talking to people. Grinding for a drop doesn't feel that dynamic really. I love doing so for getting better weapons for my character, but it feels like the Matter Board to me should be more about doing client orders, or talking to people, or doing codes and whatnot to GET said items from the matter board. I'm thinking stuff like FFX and heck, even earlier in PSO- some weapons you can get as a reward for quests. Do that with the Matter Board! Perhaps it's already there, but even if it is, the grindy weapon drops slightly annoy me.

HOWEVER- the Matter Board has grown on me. I like how you can pick objectives, etc.:D

At any rate, PSO2 is still holding that awesome flavor, and I wish I had as much time as I did when Alpha was up to play the beta. It combines the best elements from PSU, PSO, and PSP2i.:D

Xaton
Apr 25, 2012, 07:56 PM
not make us pay for basic functions fo game. let us hav ea single basic room and tradeing and selling free but if wish to upgrade then you get the rent fee. let the premium package be that basic free room [or well basic room and all that] thus you get money from it anyone truely wanting to play woudl buy the premium package. and stuff and then add in VIP package of premium which gives the bigger room tradeing and selling[ basic can say only trade 1 to 5 stars or somthing]

Randomness
Apr 25, 2012, 08:00 PM
Wow, just had a nerdfangasm; logged in, had a message saying, I think, that I got extra FUN points, so I thought "what the hell, let's use them on some scratch cards"...
Scratch number 1: World With Me. Wow. Sweet!
Scratch number 2: Can Still See the Lightgotoroomputinjukeboxandnerdgasm.

Yes, the tunes available from that are going to be a nice bonus. The first time you get them.

My overall impressions of the beta:

Hunter feels good. The PA structure is a huge improvement - being able to assemble your own string of attacks is fun, or you can use it to just have multiple single blows handy for different situations. There wasn't as much to improve on here from PSU, since imo Sega got hunters mostly right there, melee combat was always enjoyable. Of course, changing back to found discs for leveling is a big plus.

Ranger is drastically improved over the previous iterations. The third person shooting view finally lets you target a boss's weak points precisely without losing your view of your surroundings (As you did in PSU - you couldn't dodge at all while sniping). The return of PSZ's gun PAs is very welcome. The change to discs? Beyond welcome. PSU's system was absurd - level six times as many skills, often with far more effort (Rifles were absurd), compared to hunters, in order to get weakness coverage.

Force benefits from the shooting view. The techs basically function like they did in PSO, which means you have a lot more attack options than PSU gave. Cards are interesting, and the Razonde interaction in particular is splendid. I didn't pull a rod on force until I got to the forest free mission, and still only pull it out for bosses (where I want the extra punch, and still only if I can safely melee for PP). Techs have respectable power now, and inflict status effects delightfully often on weaker enemies (As they should). Resta is a bit weaker than previous iterations, but it was probably too strong in PSO and PSU at higher levels. The return of a proper Grants, while I only saw it used by AI, is nice.

The jumping mechanic is fun, and they did a great job of integrating the options it opens up into the levels.

The ship layout is nice. A consumable vendor on the camp ship is lovely. I like that all the planets are accessed from a central counter, this was desperately needed in PSU and I don't know how it was overlooked.

I'm still reserving judgement on cash shop features.

The weapon upgrade options are expanded, and I'm loving the possibilities it opens up.

All in all, my overall impression after getting force to 14, hunter to 10, and ranger to 5, is that I REALLY REALLY WANT THIS TO COME OUT NOW :wacko:

Aki03
Apr 25, 2012, 08:19 PM
My impression after sleepless nights and days.
Hunter lv 9, Ranger lv 17 and Force lv 12, mag inclusive and a lot of completed quests later I m feeling ready... .

Phantasy Star Online 2 is truly the sequel of Phantasy Star Online. Its not new PSU or something, its way better than that. SEGA did alot of things right, especially the bring a kind of PSO-feeling back. I dont know if its the music, the style, the sound, the mags or the rest which makes me nostalgic, but now I find things I missed so hard in PSU.

But there are PSU and PSP2-related things which found their way to PSO2. The combat-system is fresh and dynamic, it makes a lot of fun and makes it really really hard to decide which class you should play. Hunters can block attacks and do a lot of damage. Rangers are agil and can attack enemies from a wide distance or in close range by moving and shooting in the same time. Forces can heal themself and charge up any technique to increase their effectness. Even when I played as a Ranger the most, the other classes were fun as well.

I played the beta nearly every day and I dont really find negative points. Even when its not perfect (as a fact its just a beta), its a huge improvement compared to PSU. For a japanese game, the netcode works pretty nice, no big lags or connection problems. The symbol-chat is like the small version of the Forza-Emblem-Editor, I ve seen a lot of incredible amazing chat-symbols made by other players (like this (http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/ho5f-5s-e2c0.jpg)). The mag returns and every weapon and item looks unique.

I can write about this forever and in a nutshell I can say:
SEGA would be stupid, when they wont release this masterpiece in US and EU. PSO2 is PSO how it should be - combined the strengths of PSO, PSU and PSP2 and fit it in one game.

therealAERO
Apr 25, 2012, 08:47 PM
Overall the game is pretty cool. Better than PSU for sure. It's a little odd with all the new things like Arks cash and fun cash. I love the new combat system. It could be tweaked for sure but overall pretty damn awesome. I think a lot of the combat relies too much on dodging especially if you are a force. I don't ever feel like I'm in danger. Not that big of a gripe but later down the line it could become a problem.

Also why does it have to be such a hassle to get to new content. I feel like there is a lot of unnecessary padding. We shouldn't have to go through a bunch of different missions to unlock the free field forest. We should have the option to use free field for every area as soon as get the new area. They are locking content that is the backbone of PSO behind extra fluff missions. Some of them are fun but I would enjoy having an option. Also it's easier to understand for new players when all you have to do is run to the camp ship and choose where you want to go.

Anyway the areas in which you run around...the forest mainly is kinda boring. Check out this mockup I did of a typical forest map.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/vashers/pso2mapexample-1.gif

I've seen this variation a few times. Not knocking it just saying we could use more. We could use different set pieces. There is this one place in the catch the rappy quest where there is a field of wild flowers. Blew me away. More like that please. I also thought it was cool when they have the tall grass concealing boxes.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/vashers/pso20120419_152034_003.png

Oh and I really love the weather effects. Fog, rain, thunderstorms, lightning storms. It's all very cool!

Anyway about the set pieces. I think they should be interactive to a point. Here is one idea I came up with. This is meant so that all players can traverse this piece. (I put the ground too close together, imagine they are farther apart and can't easily be jump over.)

Also the tree is in the background. It was hard to describe this because the game is 3D. Anyway you if you try to jump over you won't make and you fall down. You can then use the steps to get back to where you were. After which you can see that the tree can be knocked down and used as a bridge. Since all players can melee they can all pass through.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/vashers/pso2setpieceexample.gif

That's just one example. If we have another suggestion thread I'm going to put this in there.

Oh and it would be cool if there was a set piece where you had to jump on objects that are over a lake in order to get to the other side. If you fall in it will respawn you back to the beginning of the challenge. Unless there is swimming in the game...I don't know.

Anything to take advantage of the fact that we can jump now. The caves does this much better than the forest. It's my favorite area!

That's all I have to say for now.

goldwing
Apr 25, 2012, 09:03 PM
So far im loveing it and cant wait for open. But one thing i hate that tec dosnt count towerds the beta. Its the healing. U use a monomate and your stuck there watching ur guy drink a soda ( or juice) that they may or may not like. And from what iv seen resta is faster. Iv had to many wasted monomates due to how long it takes for my guy to drink it up only to have his hp drop right back to where it was the secound he drinks it... im done ranting

Forte.exe
Apr 26, 2012, 01:03 AM
I love it! Though about those consoles.....

Dragwind
Apr 26, 2012, 06:02 AM
I have to agree that the forest area seems to follow a pretty predictable pattern as mentioned. Forest actually reminds me far too much of PSZ's simplistic map layout. I really enjoy when you get to the "large" room of a forest map though, it really makes me happy and wish there were more "bigger" forest rooms instead of constant narrow paths.

All in all though, I love the beauty that a forest map can have. I just wish they did a bit more with it.

Sev
Apr 26, 2012, 06:30 AM
I'm pretty much done because I'm away from my computer until Friday, and I can say I enjoyed the beta immensely. I played Hunter and it's a very active class. Dodging and blocking depend on my own skill and reflexes, and with Just Reversal even getting floored doesn't take me out of the fight for long. The games strength is in the game play, which is where I like it.

I learned more about the weapon improvement system and look forward to having some great items, although I'm disapppointed in Red Boxes thus far.

FerrPSO
Apr 26, 2012, 06:47 AM
Yeah I also agree about the forest map, I said it earlier in this post I think.

The worst about it is that I was told the map was much better in Alpha...

NoiseHERO
Apr 26, 2012, 12:29 PM
Anything is better than PSO's 5 minute long forest, the only thing in there was that random dome with the dragon in it. This one feels more natural. I DO still miss certain part of PSU's raffeon meadow though. (Those were my favorite missions besides the first one and de-ragan.)

soulpimpwizzurd
Apr 26, 2012, 12:41 PM
i JUUST WANNT JUNGLEE BAAACK

and jungle beach

FerrPSO
Apr 26, 2012, 01:06 PM
Anything is better than PSO's 5 minute long forest

I dunno, PSO Forest did not feel that long to me, and I loved get lost in Caves or Ruins.
I liked bigger maps, cause with the variables and the extension of them, it take me longer to get bored of them. Hell, I dont think I will ever be able to get bored of Ruins.

Also, a really minor complain, but the character artstyle doesnt feel like PSO to me, looking at the NPCs, theres too much generic anime stuff, and almost all the female outfits are kinda retarded, like the normal hunter one with doesnt even have pants or the schoolgirl-like one.

Is not like I will miss this game for such little things...

NoiseHERO
Apr 26, 2012, 01:13 PM
I dunno, PSO Forest did not feel that long to me, and I loved get lost in Caves or Ruins.
I liked bigger maps, cause with the variables and the extension of them, it take me longer to get bored of them. Hell, I dont think I will ever be able to get bored of Ruins.

Also, a really minor complain, but the character artstyle doesnt feel like PSO to me, looking at the NPCs, theres too much generic anime stuff, and almost all the female outfits are kinda retarded, like the normal hunter one with doesnt even have pants or the schoolgirl-like one.

Is not like I will miss this game for such little things...

It's gotta be at least ten minutes if you're just starting out, but I'm saying exactly that, it was too short, there's mario 64 stages bigger.

And yeah I'm fine with the length of stages in PSO2 so far, because they're only as long as you MAKE them, if you actually stop and fighting every mob in every corridor, trying to get EXP or some drops, you're gonna be in those areas for like 30 minutes - infinity)if it's a multiparty area) and everything is such a collage, I forget that I've already been to a spot on the map, especially if more monsters spawned in that spot.

But if you just wanna go straight to the boss, you'll only have to be there for like a minute. Both scenarios are REALLY REALLY convenient if you're grinding for rares. Compared to PSO/PSU where you had to struggle to the boss everytime then start all over. So basically the entire set up is perfect. You can never say enough times, how perfect PVE is this game.

Well untill you get to difficulty... where my hard mode? D:

edit: As for outfit designs, they're doing way better in PSO/PSU.. in PSO I just felt like I was STUCK wearing some retarded stuff that EVERYONE had to wear, and PSU got better because you could mix and match, but 90% of the outfits still looked retarded. (though I DID like how casual a lot of clothes were even though a lot of people like to bitch about how that would ruin atmosphere)

Earlier I was making a new character, and I didn't want her to look too boring and stiff, but I didn't want her to look too slutty either. So I was stuck been the magical school girl outfit with the gigantic beetle butt on it, or the... whatever you wanna call the humarl outfit when a grown women is wearing it... /cries

xenokai
Apr 26, 2012, 02:14 PM
So is the game good? compared to pso1

TiestoLife
Apr 26, 2012, 03:19 PM
Nostalgia'd hard while playing this game. Kinda laggy for me, and I don't think there is a lock on function, so I miss quite a lot, but other than that, this game is fantastic.

FerrPSO
Apr 26, 2012, 03:27 PM
edit: As for outfit designs, they're doing way better in PSO/PSU.. in PSO I just felt like I was STUCK wearing some retarded stuff that EVERYONE had to wear, and PSU got better because you could mix and match, but 90% of the outfits still looked retarded. (though I DID like how casual a lot of clothes were even though a lot of people like to bitch about how that would ruin atmosphere)

Earlier I was making a new character, and I didn't want her to look too boring and stiff, but I didn't want her to look too slutty either. So I was stuck been the magical school girl outfit with the gigantic beetle butt on it, or the... whatever you wanna call the humarl outfit when a grown women is wearing it... /cries

yeah, I know what you mean on PSO 1, but im those of "inmersion" guys.
They could just do different battle suits for more variety, but atleast put on the girls suit some pants!

So is the game good? compared to pso1

gameplay-wise is the best PS Online, so yeah.

and I don't think there is a lock on function

Oh , it is. Dunno where in the keyboard, im a controller only guy, (mine is at LB)

goldwing
Apr 26, 2012, 03:32 PM
Nostalgia'd hard while playing this game. Kinda laggy for me, and I don't think there is a lock on function, so I miss quite a lot, but other than that, this game is fantastic.

there is a lock on function. tho i use an xbox controller and for me it is the right bumper i do believe. anything other than that controller and i couldnt help ya there.

therealAERO
Apr 27, 2012, 08:11 AM
I'm going to request to sega that females get pants and armor. Tight pants can be hot too! Anything that isn't so blatantly...bare skin. Also lol at the sun visor for breasts. WTH is that about?

Chaosie
Apr 27, 2012, 08:38 AM
I'm going to request to sega that females get pants and armor. Tight pants can be hot too! Anything that isn't so blatantly...bare skin. Also lol at the sun visor for breasts. WTH is that about?

I don't know whats up with it, but I know what I'm wearing ;D

Zyrusticae
Apr 27, 2012, 08:41 AM
FYI, the keyboard key for lock-on is Q by default.

Of course, that's not very helpful if you don't have a keyboard with at least 6-key-rollover (where you can hit 6 non-modifiers simultaneously), since most keyboards lock up with just 3 simultaneous key presses... I highly recommend setting lock-on to "click" instead of "hold" if you're going to use it.

Dabian
Apr 27, 2012, 09:07 AM
Integra Wingates Hellsing's seiyuu got me sold.

Meena09
Apr 28, 2012, 03:58 AM

-Wayu

uhm why didn't you use lock on combat in this version it still exist in PSO2 you know, try going to the options and setting it up

djizomdjinn
Apr 28, 2012, 04:19 AM

I know the WTF belly window for the RAmarl outfit annoys me enough that I don't use it... the RAnewearl outfit looks decent if with the Under Armor body paint, IMO.

Seriously, there are better ways to make characters look hot than cutting out random portions of their clothing. (I'm looking at you, HUnewm!)

Evegodenraven
Apr 28, 2012, 06:52 AM
i'd first like to start off by saying that i am enjoying the old feelings and joy i felt from the original PSO games. great on the fighting and moving around, great on the maps being very puzzly and me not knowing exactly where the exits and stuff are. (i think i spent a good 5 to 10 mins in one game trying to find the exit to the next area)

i love that mags are back to what they do and not used to pewpew bullets and shoot techs out of their asses and that they use photon blasts and heal/defend their "owners."

i freaken love the fact that i can look forward to finding red box weapons and then go to a npc to find out what they are and the stats they carry. (huge freaken plus on that) because thats what i feel in love with about pso games in general, knowing that i would get a big shinny looking red box but not know what it is or what it does until later on.

now.... on to the negative. obviously i don't read or understand jp.... so it gave me a bit of a gap to really fully get what everything does and i have to do a lot of experimenting to understand stuff in the game..... so i hope by the time the next closed beta or open beta is out that there will be a fully translated patch so i nkow whats what and what they do.

the other negative thing i would say is that lag is still very visable in the game but it did not affect me as much as it did some people in the game.

my only other negative thing that i would say is that the cash shop i know is not complete and that in the end, that will not be how much everything is gonna cost or what ever.... but, i do feel like the cash shop is gonna be very much needed for even the smallest things in the game.... the fact that it cost 100 AC to have a room and also keep that room for only 30 days is a downfall.... i would honestly say that i do not feel like paying for 100 ac every month just to keep a stupid feature(in my opinion) constantly...

so overall i feel like the cash shop is gonna be a little annoying.....

one thing i do have to say is that i'm looking forward to being in the next closed beta's but i feel like the cash shop is gonna really bother ma and that i might end up just playing guildwars 2 instead if i feel the cash shop is gonna bother me a lot...

buri-chan
Apr 28, 2012, 12:24 PM
Oh god, I hate myself so much.

So I've pretty much run the beta for its worth. I'll come up with a big ole' impressions list, but first I just gotta get this off my chest. Last night, bored with nothing left to do, I decided to go into the portions I'd neglected up til then. Among them was the My Room. Now, I never really used the My Room in any of the Universe/Portable games, and we'll get to that. I've also been thinking that the whole you-have-to-buy-the-room-for-x-days thing was pretty ridiculous for something no one'd use anyways (still kinda feel like that).

Regardless, I decided to check in on what was different. "Bought" the 30-day license, went in, and yeah, the default room is pathetically small. What's more, the grid system is ridiculous. Everything is split between even and odd-numbered tiles which makes arranging a nightmare, and the size of the room itself makes it impossible to pleasingly arrange furniture without it being juxtaposed with weird spacing.

So with my low impression of it, I did what any "sensible" person would do: I went to the My Room store and bought literally one of everything, coming in at about 70k meseta. Then spent an hour arranging furniture after finding out I could expand to three rooms for meseta. In the end I ran myself broke doing something I shouldn't have liked, which begs the questions, did I really not like it?

Thinking back on it, the reason I never used the room in Universe was because Universe was awfu-- didn't have enough content. And I never used it in Portable because I had no extra meseta to buy furnishings. And I didn't do one in Infinity because I don't know Japanese. So now that there might be enough content, the prices were cheap (most anything cost less than 3k), and the icons made it easier to inventory surf, I might actually buy the 90-day passes when the game rolls out...if the prices aren't ridiculous, at least, but that's something different.

tl;dr My Room is addictive as hell.

-Ryuki-
Apr 28, 2012, 01:25 PM
My last impressions of the beta are-->

-I don't know why I leveled so slowly compared to others. Maybe perhaps, I strayed off too much?
-The whole matter board stuff is neat.
-Some of the rare weapons look funky.
-I love the shopping district. Very spacious.
-A lot of the NPCs you have as partners are neat.
-I feel as though I didn't experience much or play as much as I could and should have.

lKeima
Apr 28, 2012, 01:50 PM
I had absolutely no lag. I played till my hearts content. And overall i made it to level 20 and I cant wait for the Open beta! :D

moorebounce
Apr 29, 2012, 12:01 AM
But that is already possible, atleast with the X360 controller I can do it

I was talking about the improvement over PSOBB. PSOBB had the 1-0 buttons but I don't remember being able to D-pad through them. Also I wonder if anybody tried using the 360 chat-pad to se if it worked.

Stuff I hope they improve before release:

So far
1. The rate at which you get grinders and synthesizers need to be raise.
2. The dots on your map should be the color of what item it is.
3. The power of the launchers need to be toned down.
4. We should be able to choose where we transport to in lobby transporters.

soulpimpwizzurd
Apr 29, 2012, 12:07 AM
My last impressions of the beta are-->

-I don't know why I leveled so slowly compared to others. Maybe perhaps, I strayed off too much?
-The whole matter board stuff is neat.
-Some of the rare weapons look funky.
-I love the shopping district. Very spacious.
-A lot of the NPCs you have as partners are neat.
-I feel as though I didn't experience much or play as much as I could and should have.

did you ever buy any exp+100% from the arcs cash shop?