PDA

View Full Version : Cards.

Randomness
Apr 19, 2012, 05:01 PM
Are fun.

You can actually do crazy things like have barta shoot across in front of you from the side!

For the most part, I'd use the normal view when trying to make linear shots come out in some direction - you can move the way you want the shot to go while keeping the camera on the enemies.

On the other hand, if you feel like pulling GIANT ZONDE DEATH FIELD, you'll need to go over the shoulder so you can aim it up. Go too high and... it won't reach the ground, at least the low level one won't (and it needs charging... but I can easily land three charged zaps on one toss).

I haven't tried how it interacts with lock on in normal view yet.

Also, it does respectable damage so far with the normal attack, and seems to have a small impact radius or something. Much safer to use a card when refilling PP I think.

Overall, thoroughly enjoying the cards after my first hour.

terrell707
Apr 19, 2012, 05:52 PM
I agree. Cards are dope. Though the only bad thing is that you can't move when using them. The power on them aren't too far off from the Rods either. Do you know if you can release more than one technic on the same thrown card? or is it only one per toss?

Polantaris
Apr 19, 2012, 08:10 PM
If you're fast enough, you can get two technics off of one card. You have to be fast though, once the Card is stuck it has like 5 seconds or something and then it disappears. If it disappears while you're charging the Charged Technic goes back to where you are and works like a Rod.

Honestly, I don't see anything about Cards that makes Rods better, unless later on Rods have significantly better damage output. The combo speed is about the same on the basic attack, except long ranged, and you can cause technics to start from just about anywhere you want, while Rods limit it to where you are.

Crystal_Shard
Apr 19, 2012, 08:33 PM
You can get three uncharged techs off before the card disappears. ^_^ Managed to do a "Triblaster-esque" combo of Razonde, Gibarta and Gifoie once before, but couldn't get all three charged. Usually the first is the easiest to cast in a charged state.

So far, I think I'm in love with cards. They do take a lot of concentration to time though, and they are less useful at close range. To be fair, you shouldn't be doing CQC as a force, and you can still cast spells normally anyway, so bust out that Gifoie/Gibarta if things start getting a little hot.

Also, not sure if people have noticed but it seems to me like the techs you can cast from cards aren't limited to your linked techs - I think I managed to cast from the sub-palette as well.

Randomness
Apr 19, 2012, 09:42 PM
You can get three uncharged techs off before the card disappears. ^_^ Managed to do a "Triblaster-esque" combo of Razonde, Gibarta and Gifoie once before, but couldn't get all three charged. Usually the first is the easiest to cast in a charged state.

So far, I think I'm in love with cards. They do take a lot of concentration to time though, and they are less useful at close range. To be fair, you shouldn't be doing CQC as a force, and you can still cast spells normally anyway, so bust out that Gifoie/Gibarta if things start getting a little hot.

Also, not sure if people have noticed but it seems to me like the techs you can cast from cards aren't limited to your linked techs - I think I managed to cast from the sub-palette as well.

I've landed three charged techs before, actually. Barely.

Aiex
Apr 19, 2012, 10:23 PM
You can do three charged rabartas without too much trouble.

Randomness
Apr 19, 2012, 10:24 PM
I'm thinking rods may need a serious buff, because cards currently are so good.

Update on targeting when in over the shoulder: If you're looking at an enemy and use a linear tech, it will shoot at the enemy for you. May just aim at the spot your cursor is point at, which would be great.

Dragwind
Apr 19, 2012, 10:26 PM
It takes a little getting used to, but once you start getting good with directional targeting using cards, it opens up some new battle strategies for your techs/evasion maneuvers.

Randomness
Apr 19, 2012, 10:30 PM
It takes a little getting used to, but once you start getting good with directional targeting using cards, it opens up some new battle strategies for your techs/evasion maneuvers.

Put it this way - throwing the card into the mob of enemies and letting loose with gibarta or something is already a vast improvement over casting it on yourself. But yeah, lots of options on it. I'm going to try ranger later, but I can easily see myself focusing on force JUST for cards.

Crystal_Shard
Apr 19, 2012, 10:30 PM
Cards aren't much use for Zonde, since it's already a hax ion cannon already, but I'm pretty sure the other linear techs will cast in the direction you are looking at in TPS mode, otherwise it will auto-target the nearest enemy.

Personally, I think basic techs are wasted on cards. They're better suited to the Gi and Ra level techs at long ranges.

Randomness
Apr 19, 2012, 10:35 PM
Cards aren't much use for Zonde, since it's already a hax ion cannon already, but I'm pretty sure the other linear techs will cast in the direction you are looking at in TPS mode, otherwise it will auto-target the nearest enemy.

Personally, I think basic techs are wasted on cards. They're better suited to the Gi and Ra level techs at long ranges.

Nah, being able to draw Barta's line anywhere and in any direction you want is good.

Jonth
Apr 19, 2012, 11:09 PM
Don't Rods have a better Striking Stat? I just assumed that the rod's primary use was to chain melee combos and techs together. Might not be the best option for most Forces, but I figured it would be the better one for a Force that is subbed with a Hunter (assuming that is the way they are doing their classes, as opposed to something like Wartecher).

I figured Cards and wands would be the preferred weapon for a Force that does not plan to melee. Granted, I am just speculating here, so someone from the beta please give some input on my ideas.

FenixStryk
Apr 20, 2012, 01:00 AM
I have to hand it to cards; they suit me better than I ever could have imagined. Rabarta, Resta and Gizonde give me all the CC and AoE I need to... deal with emergencies. ...I really love cards.

I'm a little surprised to hear a few of you say that charged attacks are hard with cards? I've never had trouble landing three to four in a row; PP and enemy movement has always been the bigger issue. As long as you're inputting charge attacks efficiently (hold until sound effect, then release+immediately hold again), you should be good to go.

In any case, between ranged AoE options, easier and safer PP regeneration and higher damage, I'm left to wonder what Rods will be used for outside of niche builds. Maybe I missed something?

Dragwind
Apr 20, 2012, 01:21 AM
In any case, between ranged AoE options, easier and safer PP regeneration and higher damage, I'm left to wonder what Rods will be used for outside of niche builds. Maybe I missed something?

I can feel there's a use for a playstyle with rods, but I haven't quite figured out where it could have an advantage yet. I have a feeling they might serve a potential use for a close-range AoE teching build, focusing on a high PP spam rate along with constant enemy flinch/crowd control. But the real question is- would it make enough of a difference to even be necessary?

I still need to test the actual attack speed difference between the two, to see if rods even have a close range advantage or not, and how the flinching effect compares.

If anything, they should probably just boost rod damage so it's more obvious to use in short range combat versus cards.

Crystal_Shard
Apr 20, 2012, 01:49 AM
I'm a little surprised to hear a few of you say that charged attacks are hard with cards?

In my case, it's more to do with me getting using to the layout of a new multibutton mouse. I put Gifoie and Rabarta on the Shift Palette, with Razonde on the right mouse button. Coordinating myself to LMB, Shift(Bound to mouse key) RMB hold with the correct timing, while holding shift and the RMB down for 2-3 more times is going to take me some time to get used to.

Probably would help if I were to put Gifoie or Rabarta on the RMB instead of Razonde.

Kinujou
Apr 20, 2012, 01:54 AM
to me it feels like there a timer that the cards stay out, and charging stops the timer so if you charge a card immediately while its flying/just as it stops, then start recasting right after you cast then you can easily get 3 casts out (then you run out of pp....sad face!)

terrell707
Apr 20, 2012, 02:49 AM
to me it feels like there a timer that the cards stay out, and charging stops the timer so if you charge a card immediately while its flying/just as it stops, then start recasting right after you cast then you can easily get 3 casts out (then you run out of pp....sad face!)

Yeah its pretty cool. As long as you are charging the technic, the card just floats there until you release it or get hit or dodge. You can also move while charging.