PDA

View Full Version : About Yuji Naka and Satoshi Sakai

krux
Apr 22, 2012, 03:21 AM
Okay if anyone could please help me understand what happened. I just want to know how those two went from making the best game iv ever played (PSO) to psu....

If you have an article or could just tell me what happened i would be very grateful
Thank you

Palle
Apr 22, 2012, 04:02 AM
The PS I grew up on was classic tragedy in the form of space opera. Dark undertones, mature subject matter. Alis. Eusis, Nei, and the peoples of the Algol system. The Parman descendants onboard Arisa III. The Protectors' struggle against the Profound Darkness. The race in vain to save Rico, and learning the fate of Pioneer 1.

PS is now the cheapest kind of animu fanservice. Since I don't have the authority to claim that what we now call PS is in fact unworthy of the name, I have simply discarded any interest in the series I once possessed. As far as I'm concerned, PS is over.

EDIT:

Since I don't believe you're honestly asking for substantiating documentation to back up what appears to be a cutting evaluation based on your own preferences in game content, I figured I would just 'spring the trap'. Who knows, maybe someone has translated a Sakai interview that actually addresses his vision for the franchise, and therein may be some form of 'answer' to your query.

Sinue_v2
Apr 22, 2012, 10:53 AM
There was a blog scandal a while back that revolved around a Sega employee and his first hand experience with Sonic Team around the time Nights for the Wii came out. The blog painted a pretty nasty picture of a development team which had lost all innovative spirit and ambition due to being forced to work on a never-ending succession of Sonic titles that they had long come to resent. Development of other game series were constantly under threat of upper-management cutting their budgets in order to allocate to Sonic development, or in the case of Nights - totally shifting the hardware platform late in development and with no extra budget.

Upper management just does not give a fuck about it if it doesn't have a blue Hedgehog on it. According to the blog, that was one of the reasons why Yuji Naka quit to start Prope. He simply couldn't make the games he wanted, and what chances he did get were constantly under threat and under funded. Naka had a hell of a lot more weight to throw around due to his reputation as a company icon, and it seems to me that if things were so bad off that even Naka had no other recourse than to quit - then there's pretty much no hope of Sakai being able to turn things around.

If true, then that goes a long way in explaining the climate which produced many of the major development/design/support fuck ups that plagued PSU and lead to it's failure outside of Japan. The identity crisis between offline and online mode in PSU vanilla, the ham-fisted attempt to use the PC/PS2 content/update model on Xbox Live, and other such examples reek of significant design shifting midway through development without the necessary resources to do much more than cludge it together and gloss over the seams as best they could.

Anyhow, here's the article in question. (http://www.tssznews.com/2009/01/05/the-blog-sega-doesnt-want-you-to-read/)

PS is now the cheapest kind of animu fanservice. Since I don't have the authority to claim that what we now call PS is in fact unworthy of the name, I have simply discarded any interest in the series I once possessed. As far as I'm concerned, PS is over.

I do claim the authority to decide whether or not newer Phantasy Star games are worthy of the PS name and legacy, and I have found them decidedly unworthy. (I do make a special exception for PSO Ep I, however, due to it's atmosphere and resolution which is keeping I feel in the best traditions of Phantasy Star.) This doesn't mean later games aren't worth playing and enjoying on their own merits, but the words "Phantasy Star" on the title & box should henceforth be regarded as typographical errors and ignored.

krux
Apr 22, 2012, 04:00 PM
Well those answers were a little more than i expected but they seemed to get the job done. My first phantasy star game was PSO ep 1 and 2 and i can say that it was not a game for me at all it was an experience and PSO2 plays well but thats just it. It plays like a game and nothing more but im starting to ramble. So thank you guys for the input ill take a look at that article now

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 22, 2012, 05:04 PM
If you want some direct reads and quotes, directly to the needs of a SEGA fanbase, I looked around a bit and found this again:

>> EXCLUSiVE: A Yuji Naka Interview ~ For the fans, 2010 (http://www.nightsintodreams.com/?p=1343&cpage=1)

Us PSO fan~fanatics should reach out to em similarly in 2 years for PSO 1's 14th Bday then?

-

Now with all that out of the way. Also fun stuff with, imagine if he stuck around would he become the (wannabe) pimp Sega's Nagoshi became?

[spoiler-box]
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MFz0z7jVEKU/TPYq81EiDCI/AAAAAAAAClU/oFS0OA73NnI/s1600/Toshihiro+Nagoshi.jpg

http://andriasang.com/comp5c/sega_tgs_stage_events/21ys1.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

As can be assumed from some facts in this picture, even #1 off the bat, XBOX is HUGE:

[spoiler-box]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/56/135745949_9f4dd80da0_z.jpg?zz=1[/spoiler-box]