PDA

View Full Version : There should be more encouragements for sticking together

Agitated_AT
Apr 23, 2012, 06:43 AM
If there was one thing about PSO1 that was done well, it's how the game really did encourage the party to stick together in a lot of ways.

A few things I can think of:

1. Consistent challenge. It wasn't just the bosses who were challenging, but regular enemies were agressive as well. Behaviour was simple but they realistically kept coming at ya. The AI seems to be alot better in PSO2 and im very impressed with it, they just need to come at ya more often imo.

2. Closed doors and paths which got unlocked after killing all enemies in a certain area. This is something I feel that played a huge role in keeping the team together and I really miss the doors and gates. They should bring this back in only the non multiparty areas imo.

3. Map only showed where you had been and not the full area. This encouraged exploring as well and as handy as it is now, I feel like they should not show the full map like that.

Solution for the challenge aspect is quite simple I think. At this moment, enemies do alot of damage when they hit you, except they dont hit you very often. This is not how a "threat" should be behaving realistically. They should want to hit you as many times they can, so i would really ask them if i could, to consider making the enemies more agressive and behave more realisically, and reduce the damage they cause. This way it feels like your dealing with threats instead of random/occasional alarms.

I kind of wonder what you guys think.

Macman
Apr 23, 2012, 06:48 AM
3. Map only showed where you had been and not the full area. This encouraged exploring as well and as handy as it is now, I feel like they should not show the full map like that. It already does that. It's just the map is shared between you and your team.

Xenobia
Apr 23, 2012, 06:51 AM
I would have enjoyed a 6 man party, 4 is kinda low.

Ryudo
Apr 23, 2012, 06:54 AM
I think "wait what, has this guy actually played the beta?"

1. you get attacked by hordes of enemies and once you're into caves they start very clearly having strengths against different classes so yiou're much better off working as a team

2. you get CODE ATTACK and CODE ELIMINATION and similar events that pop up walls preventing you from progressing

Arika
Apr 23, 2012, 06:59 AM
2. Closed doors and paths which got unlocked after killing all enemies in a certain area. This is something I feel that played a huge role in keeping the team together and I really miss the doors and gates. They should bring this back in only the non multiparty areas imo.

I think those always tend to make people split more than stick together. Speed run! you go for key, I m gonna wait at the door!

Agitated_AT
Apr 23, 2012, 07:09 AM
I think "wait what, has this guy actually played the beta?"

1. you get attacked by hordes of enemies and once you're into caves they start very clearly having strengths against different classes so yiou're much better off working as a team

2. you get CODE ATTACK and CODE ELIMINATION and similar events that pop up walls preventing you from progressing

1. i am not at the volcanos yet, is it really that much harder there?

2.I think they arent enough. all online phantasy star games have had ggates and doors. This is the first where they're absent, but i find alot of members to go their own way in this game. Imo the game should sort of force the players to stick together in that way as well. And even aestethically it looks great having mechincal doors/gates in a forest.

Aiex
Apr 23, 2012, 07:30 AM
Aid really like to see big mobs more often. I'm not a fan of fighting two enemies every couple hundred yards and hoping to get it in a hit before your team annihilates them. Which is to say, if you're not in a solo party, it should be so hard that you can't solo.

Alenoir
Apr 23, 2012, 08:03 AM

2.I think they arent enough. all online phantasy star games have had ggates and doors. This is the first where they're absent, but i find alot of members to go their own way in this game. Imo the game should sort of force the players to stick together in that way as well. And even aestethically it looks great having mechincal doors/gates in a forest.

1. I have the dragon/lizard people come directly aiming at me while I slowly prepare my launcher to shoot at them. Forest stuffs don't tend to do this as much.

2. You must not be playing a lot. I've run into keys and doors quite often. Especially during the emergency mission where you go attack the Lv20 Dark Ragne. You will almost always run into a gate on your first map.

Macman
Apr 23, 2012, 08:07 AM
Volcano has Code: Collect often, forcing your team to run around grabbing keys to open the way to the boss.
Then there's Code: Elimination where the room you are in closes off and forces you to fight a certain amount of foes before progressing on.

I think the most interesting code is Code: Rescue in Forest. I had one case where I saw a player get trapped by the funji and getting horded by Dagans inside. I really felt like I was rescuing him when I broke the wall.

Agitated_AT
Apr 23, 2012, 08:10 AM
I didn't say "consistently" challenging for nothing. Why do we need special occasions for it to be challenging.

Macman
Apr 23, 2012, 08:14 AM
Question: How far are you?

If you're just doing Nab Rappy Capture over and over again, I can understand how same-y and non-challenging the game feels to you.

The Volcano enemies move quicker than in Forest and the bosses attack very quickly.

The emergency city quest has some very strong monsters, as well.

Dinosaur
Apr 23, 2012, 08:23 AM
This kind of thing has to do with difficulty. FYI they made the game and enemies easier because there were complaints about it being too hard in the early levels. So if you know what you're doing, you can blow through everything pretty easily.

I was personally looking forward to hard mode, but they decided not to include it this test.

goldwing
Apr 23, 2012, 08:45 AM
Aid really like to see big mobs more often. I'm not a fan of fighting two enemies every couple hundred yards and hoping to get it in a hit before your team annihilates them. Which is to say, if you're not in a solo party, it should be so hard that you can't solo.

I for one disagree with this. There are a few reasons. Namely because it would ruin it for the ppl who do want to solo. (Uh me) im not always a team player not saying i cant b but not everyone is wanting to do what i want and visversa. The games fine how it is now.

FerrPSO
Apr 23, 2012, 08:49 AM
Also, I rather prefer that the Codes with big mobs are somewhat "special". It would get old fast if not. I like they idea of rarer Codes.

AX-818
Apr 23, 2012, 09:58 AM
Also, I rather prefer that the Codes with big mobs are somewhat "special". It would get old fast if not. I like they idea of rarer Codes.

I agree with the rarer codes. For example, I'm not sure if its what I am just doing or not, but I had a code in a multiparty map where we had to protect that ship that drops boxes sometimes. It crashed and was getting attacked. It was awesome because it was new and different. I have failed to be able to do it again. Maybe you need a bigger party to activate certain codes?

Randomness
Apr 23, 2012, 10:00 AM

Don't worry, there are rarer ones... including some that sound like pure hell.

The roughest I've had happen was CODE: DUEL against a Ragne... then when we offed it, CHANGE OVER: DUEL. Another Ragne spawned.

FerrPSO
Apr 23, 2012, 10:56 AM
The roughest I've had happen was CODE: DUEL against a Ragne... then when we offed it, CHANGE OVER: DUEL. Another Ragne spawned.

Yeah I got one of those, but with Rockbears, was pretty intense.
I guess the Change Over Duels are the rare Codes.

I agree with the rarer codes. For example, I'm not sure if its what I am just doing or not, but I had a code in a multiparty map where we had to protect that ship that drops boxes sometimes. It crashed and was getting attacked. It was awesome because it was new and different. I have failed to be able to do it again. Maybe you need a bigger party to activate certain codes?

Dunno, but I only saw it once too.

Also, Im not sure if Codes appear based on how many players are.
Yesterday I was hunting Rockbear horns in a party and we started hearing something, so we approaching it and we found a lonely guy assaulted by a Dark Ragne. He told us that he was alone and sudenly he got the Code with Dark Ragne. He was already out of mates when we found him lol He was like "thanks god you guys found me!"

EDIT: Well, now that I think about it, some Codes must appear depending on partyn sure, like the one about saving a member from the fungi.
If not.. you would be screwed lol

funkyskunk
Apr 23, 2012, 12:55 PM
I had a code in a multiparty map where we had to protect that ship that drops boxes sometimes. It crashed and was getting attacked.

I heard they had nerfed code protect in the beta? Please tell me you are not mistaken as I loved this one and the lack of it in beta was depressing me (30 hours playtime in).

In response to the OP: Challenge Mode?

Also, there are tonnes more enemies when you play with humans and the more the better. 1-2 player on forest I only ever get 1 rockbear boss but several times had 2 on 3-4 player. The real challenge here is the bosses and it really does resemble a kind of Monster Hunter now.

Polantaris
Apr 23, 2012, 01:07 PM

So you're making complaints after only visiting the beginner's area? Why do people always judge every game based on the first area?

Agitated_AT
Apr 23, 2012, 01:25 PM
So you're making complaints after only visiting the beginner's area? Why do people always judge every game based on the first area?

Because I love pso 1 and have never liked PSU

In other words, PSO1 was challenging from the first moment. I understand these are different times, and they want to pull a bigger audience in the game, but eventually I expect challenge. I am at the volcanic area, still very easy imo, and cave in pso 1 was really that place where you couldnt joke around anymore. I am all for a learning curve, but this is rediculous and really kills the fun for me.

Anyway, from where I am now, I am a tad dissapointed with the overall challenge. I feel there is only occasional challenge here and there. That sucks. The volcanic area has been very easy so far for me...

I think they should make the enemies a little bit more agressive so the player is encouraged to use his moves more wisely. I am noticing that im using the quickstep a little bit more often as well, only at occasions that is.

I also still stand behind the doors and gates. I feel like u can just run past all enemies towards your goal. I dont like this tbh, it feels like the game doesnt challenge u to kill the enemies, instead ure just doing it to grind.

Brimcon
Apr 23, 2012, 01:44 PM

In other words, PSO1 was challenging from the first moment. I understand these are different times, and they want to pull a bigger audience in the game, but eventually I expect challenge. I am at the volcanic area, still very easy imo, and cave in pso 1 was really that place where you couldnt joke around anymore. I am all for a learning curve, but this is rediculous and really kills the fun for me.

Anyway, from where I am now, I am a tad dissapointed with the overall challenge. I feel there is only occasional challenge here and there. That sucks. The volcanic area has been very easy so far for me...

I think they should make the enemies a little bit more agressive so the player is encouraged to use his moves more wisely. I am noticing that im using the quickstep a little bit more often as well, only at occasions that is.

I also still stand behind the doors and gates. I feel like u can just run past all enemies towards your goal. I dont like this tbh, it feels like the game doesnt challenge u to kill the enemies, instead ure just doing it to grind.

Give it time buddy, you'll get locked in a door soon enough. Wait till you fight three bosses one after another..
Added: You might just have a really powerful weapon right now.. You get really powerful quickly.

Alenoir
Apr 23, 2012, 02:13 PM

You should hang around with a party and spend more time in the multiplayer area. Like, opening up the whole map on your minimap or something. Worst case scenario: You run into 1 or 2 emergency trial. Best(?) case scenario: 5 or more emergency trials per area, containing bosses in each area.

Xeno88
Apr 23, 2012, 04:05 PM
I agree with the sentiments about the old caves. Those sharks would kick your ass if you weren't careful..and then they would still knock you down until your defense was high enough. Don't get me started on those amn robots that had the slow down status effect and lasers in the Mines..or the sinOw beats that literally beat you down...or even the horselike enemies and Bringers on the ruins.

I fondly remember getting beat down by non-bosses on pso1. On pso2, I'll admit that the boss difficulty is so so..but even those are a bit easy, they just have high health. And the regular enemies are definitely foo easy. They definitely need to up the ante in the difficulty department.

foreignreign
Apr 23, 2012, 04:38 PM
The only reason why sharks in Caves were any trouble for a Hunter (or I guess Force too) was because you didn't have the ATP to kill them in one combo like Boomas, and for whatever reason your ATA wasn't high enough to consistently hit them either. The fact that they did away with ATA/EVP is why monsters now seem easier.

And unless we're talking about the Dig monsters (which are a joke anyway), the Dinians with shields pose a much larger threat to HUs, moreso in large numbers. If you're swinging a weapon like a crazy and all of a sudden one of them puts up a shield and you hit it, you're basically stunned for a good couple seconds, which gives the other Dinians a chance to retaliate.

In 1v1 or 1v2 scenarios, yeah they're easy. But same goes for sharks.

As for non-HUs, RAs have always had it easy so who cares, and FOs have it easier now because they actually don't need tons of money to feed their fluid addiction.

And Gilchics were dumb, what. Fell over in one tap. The laser was just about the only threatening part of them, which they don't use all that much until higher difficulties.

soulpimpwizzurd
Apr 23, 2012, 08:27 PM
Volcano has Code: Collect often, forcing your team to run around grabbing keys to open the way to the boss.
Then there's Code: Elimination where the room you are in closes off and forces you to fight a certain amount of foes before progressing on.

I think the most interesting code is Code: Rescue in Forest. I had one case where I saw a player get trapped by the funji and getting horded by Dagans inside. I really felt like I was rescuing him when I broke the wall.

code elimination is really annoying if you're not with your party since the area gets sealed off and you can't help/get exp