PDA

View Full Version : PvP?

Dan Maku
Apr 25, 2012, 03:30 PM
I was wondering, how awesome would it be if there was PvP in PSO2? Considering the controls have been fine-tuned from the comparitively cumbersome and awkward controls in PSO1, I think PvP would be a wonderful idea. :3

Dre_o
Apr 25, 2012, 03:33 PM
Sorry, but I can't disagree more. I can't see PvP working in any way with both Rangers and Forces being able to move-attack and dodge. This would instantly make Hunters useless and it would become a long range pew pew fest. Or at least thats how I see it.

Ark22
Apr 25, 2012, 03:52 PM
Well with the new Defense system you can make your guy pretty damn invulnerable.

NoiseHERO
Apr 25, 2012, 03:56 PM
Here we go with the "PVP is a terrible idea because I'm instantly thinking of the way PVP is badly done in other games" fest.

PVP should just be an extra mode on the side fun, like PSO/PSP2(i) and that's all I'm gonna say because then I'd be repeating myself for like the 28th time throughout.. almost a year for every time this topic has come up and everyone bum rushed in, without thinking of the possibilities and just said "NO."

Zyrusticae
Apr 25, 2012, 04:04 PM
There's already a topic on this. (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193801&highlight=pvp)

Use the search function next time.

Griffin
Apr 25, 2012, 04:24 PM
I like PvP, but not for PSO2. You have any idea how easily OP you can become?

Sp-24
Apr 25, 2012, 04:34 PM
Isn't that what balance patches are for?

Waluigi
Apr 25, 2012, 04:39 PM
I'd rather not get constant nerfs on classes because of a PvP system.

Zyrusticae
Apr 25, 2012, 04:40 PM
LOL, if they started balancing based on PvP, well...

Can you say "shitstorm"?

Griffin
Apr 25, 2012, 04:42 PM
Isn't that what balance patches are for?

They would have to change some major aspects of the game if they want PvP to work.

Sp-24
Apr 25, 2012, 04:58 PM
They could just keep PvP and PvE separate.

Polantaris
Apr 25, 2012, 05:45 PM
They could just keep PvP and PvE separate.

They could but they likely wouldn't. It took Guild Wars like 5 years to realize that was a good idea, and that game was centralized on PvP.

Honestly, I don't see PvP coming. Cooperative play is a big thing in Japan, people love it. The game was clearly made with PvE in mind 100%, since everything is built to make everyone allies of each other. There's no disadvantages for playing with other parties, but loads of advantages.

I've played quite a few Japanese MMOs. I can say from experience that games with PvP systems tend to have them ignored, and some KMMOs don't even import PvP systems into the Japanese versions, they just completely avoid them. Cooperation is a big thing in Japan, PvP is unwanted and unnecessary. This game wasn't built with PvP in mind, adding it would screw things up, or it would just be completely ignored and therefore a waste of development time. Would you rather they add new areas, or spend months "balancing" PvP just to have it end up completely unbalanced no matter what they do? I'd much rather they spend that time adding more content to the fleshed out PvE that the game was designed for.

I don't mean to be rude to the OP, but if you need PvP so badly, find another game. Not every game needs PvP, and not every game was built to host PvP play. Adding PvP to games where it has no place wastes developer time, player time, and hard drive space.

Sp-24
Apr 25, 2012, 07:44 PM
The beta is clearly made with PvE in mind 100%. Don't judge a book by its demo yet. Besides, didn't people at Sega specifically say that there will be PvP, and that that's exactly why Korea is the next target for PSO2's release after Japan?

As for Japanese not liking PvP, there is a Japanese Action/RPG called Dynasty Warriors Online, which seems to combine cooperation and PvP just fine (it's been 5 years already). Japanese players don't seem to mind PvP parts being somewhat mandatory, and the game's Colosseum and VS. modes always seem to have somebody from Japan (I think, since non-Japanese are supposed to be banned on sight) willing to fight.

There is also a Korean TPS called S4 League, notable for fun gameplay and horrible costume designs. PSO2 reminds me of it only a bit too much. I'm sure that with just a simple lag-compensating script you'll have yourself a similar PvP engine in PSO2, too.

I can see the problem with resource allocation, especially since it's a "free" to play game, since balance tests take time and multiplayer maps don't grow on trees (unless you start a fan-made map competition!). But I've also seen games go stale just because there is only a handful of things to do, like rare hunting, in PSO's case. I can't say for sure yet if focusing on PvE would be better or not for PSO2, but with a game engine fitting and developers willing to add PvP, ignoring that option seems like a waste to me.

Griffin
Apr 25, 2012, 07:48 PM
Sega stated if there were high demand for PvP, they will consider it, but so far, polls are stating they don't like it very well.

If there is PvP, it will likely be indirect such as battle races and stuff.

We also already have Enemy Interrupt events, which is one aspect of competition.

Arika
Apr 25, 2012, 09:22 PM
They will need to remove all invulnerable period in the evade if they gonna do that. Or they may need to keep it on HU only so those can dodge bullet/ tech to get close in distant.

Image if Hu keep dodging/dashing to get in distant, then when he start slashing. the gunner just keep rolling away invulnerably. It would look silly in a fight, and everybody keep rolling / dodging there for the remain timer...

Ark22
Apr 25, 2012, 09:37 PM
Remember techniques sucks uncharged, and if some guy has ENOUGH time to hit you with a charge tech or you don't move in time or block it that guy should be justified in hitting you.

Besides that hunters could work well, I mean they have great defense and if you do it right, you can make it so all your defense go towards TECHS AND BULLETS. Smart huh?

ScrabbleGG
Apr 25, 2012, 09:52 PM
It'd be fine if they just had a dueling system like we've had in previous games, as long as they leave it at that. If they start altering the PvP balance it will invariably affect things in PvE, and that's just not a slope I want to see this game slide down. Sure, you can suggest keeping the two separate, but then they've got to assign staff to balance and program all this, blah blah you see where it's going.

Phantasy Star is not, was not, and never should be, a PvP oriented game. It's just not designed for it. Kill monsters, loot stuff, that's what it should be. If people are looking for a balanced, PvP-oriented experience then they're probably looking at the wrong franchise - I just hope Sega don't decide they need to appease these people because it could be a disaster for the game as a whole.

Clessy
Apr 25, 2012, 10:08 PM
PvP was broken as shit in psov2 but it was fun as shit too. I dont get why it even needs to be balanced. Whats wrong with stupid 1 hit kill battles. It was just a lot of non sense fun.

Angelo
Apr 25, 2012, 10:12 PM
Older thread:

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188899

Griffin
Apr 25, 2012, 10:15 PM
PvP was broken as shit in psov2 but it was fun as shit too. I dont get why it even needs to be balanced. Whats wrong with stupid 1 hit kill battles. It was just a lot of non sense fun.

That was back then. Players are much more competitive now so yea, balance is wanted.

Eggobandit
Apr 25, 2012, 10:19 PM
I'd rather not get constant nerfs on classes because of a PvP system.

because the pvp balances would definitely reflect the real game

NoiseHERO
Apr 25, 2012, 10:22 PM
My first post was so right it was painful...

Anyway, you guys should redirect yourselves to that search function when you're done stating your already thought of opinions.

/evil laughter

MelancholyWitch
Apr 25, 2012, 11:07 PM
PvP can easily be included without it being forced on players... and I don't see how a hunter using such weapons like a wired lance would have any issues against ranged attacks, plus the step dash is quick enough to dodge big damage hits from things like launchers/charged foie. I just don't get this hostility towards PvP in this community... if it's not going to affect you why even be against it? just don't PvP.... if it's not forced PvP, for example you can check a box on your party menu that selects if you want PvP interrupt events or not, then bam you make a group and can decide to have the chance to fight another group for the mission.

I really would hope that everyone from the western community tell Sega in the feedback portion that PvP being implemented in this game will win the West, they can't deny the business opportunity there is for them to release a game like PSO2 that has PvP when people are getting bored of WoW and SWTOR already they will drop their subscriptions for a new game to them that has PvP, don't think just about the PSO community that's being way too selfish think about attracting others who have no idea what PSO is how to accomplish this? easy, PvP. I please ask that everyone consider trying to reach out to SoJ and explain to them how much they would benefit from a business angel to include PvP... it's to attract people, balance wont be an issue since it's not forced PvP.

kdrakari
Apr 26, 2012, 12:30 AM
The reason so many people are against PvP is that, as mentioned, perfectly balanced PvE classes stop being perfectly balanced in PvP, and nobody wants to deal with that. Either we have to listen to people whine about unbalanced PvP, or have to deal with unbalanced PvE, or they have to completely redo EVERYTHING with separate balance.