PDA

View Full Version : So 1-Up liked PSO2

AnnabellaRenee87
Apr 27, 2012, 09:07 AM
http://www.1up.com/previews/phantasy-star-online-2-impressions

lol he called Arks, Darks....

Dabian
Apr 27, 2012, 09:08 AM
Hooray for more publicity outside of Japan, something this game sorely needs.

Pluupy
Apr 27, 2012, 02:00 PM
lmao the title name! TTF FTW!

digitalflow
Apr 27, 2012, 04:02 PM
Hey, I wrote this!

Long time PSO-World reader, I've been a fan of the series since 2001. And now that I managed to get into the closed beta, I'm trying to spread the word that the game actually exists! I'm having an amazing time in the beta -- and will have a followup post soon with more details on quests, bosses, MAGs, and some other stuff. ;)

(Also, I am in no way a writer -- I am just a Community Manager who's passionate about the series!)

HeartBreak301
Apr 27, 2012, 04:06 PM
Hey, I wrote this!

Long time PSO-World reader, I've been a fan of the series since 2001. And now that I managed to get into the closed beta, I'm trying to spread the word that the game actually exists! I'm having an amazing time in the beta -- and will have a followup post soon with more details on quests, bosses, MAGs, and more. :)

Good to see some form of media is actively trying to promote the game outside of Japan. SEGA is notoriously bad at advertising anything other than Sonic here in the states as I'm sure you know. Keep up the good work man.

Rauten
Apr 27, 2012, 04:08 PM
If the follow up isn't named "Respective Tomorrow", I shall smite you with great fury, and Grants.

Randomness
Apr 27, 2012, 04:14 PM
If the follow up isn't named "Respective Tomorrow", I shall smite you with great fury, and Grants.

And then suck out your soul, right?

Rauten
Apr 27, 2012, 04:20 PM
And then suck out your soul, right?

Sshh, that's meant to be a surprise :wacko:

NoiseHERO
Apr 27, 2012, 04:22 PM
No, leave em alone you crazed fanboys!

/runs in with a broomop-I mean broom and starts hitting people.

Zeota
Apr 27, 2012, 04:51 PM
Hey, I wrote this!

Long time PSO-World reader, I've been a fan of the series since 2001. And now that I managed to get into the closed beta, I'm trying to spread the word that the game actually exists! I'm having an amazing time in the beta -- and will have a followup post soon with more details on quests, bosses, MAGs, and some other stuff. ;)

(Also, I am in no way a writer -- I am just a Community Manager who's passionate about the series!)

It's nice to see a gaming media site shed some light on not only this game, but the Phantasy Star brand itself here in the west. Still not many outside this community even knew what PSO is, let alone the tetralogy from the 80s/90s. As others have said, keep up the good work!

Griffin
Apr 27, 2012, 04:57 PM
Force = Support? lol Did you mean "Magic"?

digitalflow

Nah, it's gonna be titled "Central Dome Fire Swirl" with zero context. :wacko:

Randomness
Sshh, that's meant to be a surprise :wacko:

Wha? A surprise?

Everyone knows how Falz's final form fights, right?

digitalflow
Apr 27, 2012, 05:00 PM
Force = Support? lol Did you mean "Magic"?

I figured I'd loop in what I figured were the Force's combat goals (with the use of magic, that is!). Primarily dealing damage and offering support with AOE Restas, and assisting with Shifta/Deband and the occasional Reverser is really what makes the class stand out in a group scenario. :)

Randomness
Apr 27, 2012, 05:08 PM
I figured I'd loop in what I figured were the Force's combat goals (with the use of magic, that is!). Primarily dealing damage and offering support with AOE Restas, and assisting with Shifta/Deband and the occasional Reverser is really what makes the class stand out in a group scenario. :)

We'll have to wait and see how it plays endgame... but the damage output is good so far... of course they could always have a difficulty where everything has eleventy-billion resistance like Ultimate.

digitalflow
Apr 27, 2012, 05:17 PM
We'll have to wait and see how it plays endgame... but the damage output is good so far... of course they could always have a difficulty where everything has eleventy-billion resistance like Ultimate.

Ultimate-Ultimate mode!

NoiseHERO
Apr 27, 2012, 05:32 PM
I figure you're too ignorant to identify with any idea outside of tradition. You'd be better off playing World of Warcraft where these ideas of yours apply absolutely.

The guy is advertising PSO2 for us (More than SEGA's done so far) and you're getting mad and calling him ignorant because of one thing he said about forces? Are you out of your mind? Or just venting your socially awkward frustrations on the internet by being a dick and taking it too far... @_@

Ash1ey
Apr 27, 2012, 05:39 PM
I figure you're too ignorant to identify with any idea outside of tradition. You'd be better off playing World of Warcraft where these ideas of yours apply absolutely.

If you actually knew this guy, you would know that he has been a huge Phantasy Star fan since dreamcast. He has a lot of passion for the series. He is definitely "not too ignorant to indetify with any idea out of tradition. The PSO2 beta is still to new to him, as it is to many of us. Give him a break. At least its getting the gamae known outside of Japan a little more.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 27, 2012, 05:47 PM
... Umm, yeah. That was kinda inappropriate and wrong to say considering he's a lot more familiar with PSO than with WoW (if he's even familiar with WoW at all). Forces do in fact have a support role, using shifta/deband and resta, which the other classes can't do. He specifically mentioned they also do damage. So, I'm not sure what you're getting all in a huff about.

On another topic: Reverser? I haven't seen any signs of Reverser existing in the closed beta. Am I missing something?

digitalflow
Apr 27, 2012, 05:53 PM
... Umm, yeah. That was kinda inappropriate and wrong to say considering he's a lot more familiar with PSO than with WoW (if he's even familiar with WoW at all). Forces do in fact have a support role, using shifta/deband and resta, which the other classes can't do. He specifically mentioned they also do damage. So, I'm not sure what you're getting all in a huff about.

On another topic: Reverser? I haven't seen any signs of Reverser existing in the closed beta. Am I missing something?

Y'know, I'm actually not sure if Reverser is coming back -- just taking into consideration (and tradition!) that Forces do get the spell eventually. ;)

But hey, there's always AC Scapedolls for personal revives I guess.

Randomness
Apr 27, 2012, 05:58 PM

PSO FOs were pure support in Ultimate - everything basically had too much resistance to do any real tech damage. Oh, and Holy Ray. Because a paralysis rifle with an MST equip requirement doesn't hurt.

Arika
Apr 27, 2012, 11:21 PM
May be should we link this as a positive form into this thread:?
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194557

Show them how they get free advertise outside JP.

Spellbinder
Apr 27, 2012, 11:30 PM
PSO FOs were pure support in Ultimate - everything basically had too much resistance to do any real tech damage. Oh, and Holy Ray. Because a paralysis rifle with an MST equip requirement doesn't hurt.

Having played Force exclusively in every non-portable incarnation of PSO (except the card version) and PSU, I'll have to respectfully disagree that Force was pure support in Ultimate.

Randomness
Apr 27, 2012, 11:39 PM
Having played Force exclusively in every non-portable incarnation of PSO (except the card version) and PSU, I'll have to respectfully disagree that Force was pure support in Ultimate.

With regards to techs.

Chik'Tikka
Apr 27, 2012, 11:44 PM
If an English version is released, don't discount Free to Play, it's got good graphics, runs well on mid range PCs and as long as it stays easy to play and level without paying for anything word of mouth alone will insure full servers+^_^+
oh almost forgot +^_^+

Rauten
Apr 28, 2012, 08:04 AM
If an English version is released, don't discount Free to Play, it's got good graphics, runs well on mid range PCs and as long as it stays easy to play and level without paying for anything word of mouth alone will insure full servers+^_^+
oh almost forgot +^_^+

Uhm, it's already been CONFIRMED that the game is going to be F2P by SEGA...

Yata The Prophet
Apr 28, 2012, 08:14 AM
If every fan of PSO2 on this website were to create a blog and post a link to it on their profiles used on other sites....

well it couldn't hurt.

btw, I am not going to spend exactly 10% more time on 1Up and cut that time from other gaming websites, other than PSO of course :)

Sixoul
Apr 29, 2012, 05:54 PM
1Up also thinks forces are support class. If nuking for almost 1k damage on ragne is support then hell ya I'm support.

DemonMike
Apr 29, 2012, 06:50 PM
What's with the butthurt Force players reading too much into the article? Read some earlier posts from this thread please, there's enough justification to primarily classify forces as support. Doesn't mean that they are nothing -but- support.

Spellbinder
Apr 29, 2012, 08:52 PM
What's with the butthurt Force players reading too much into the article? Read some earlier posts from this thread please, there's enough justification to primarily classify forces as support. Doesn't mean that they are nothing -but- support.

As much as I love support characters, always playing the healer in MMO's, I can't see Force being "primarily" support. That would imply that a majority of their skills gravitate toward that role and 1 heal and a buff (shifta /deband) that lasts 15 - 20 seconds doesn't scream support. Maybe we should call rangers support too since I see them using Jellen and Weak Shot all the time, that's support too. :P

On Topic: Yay publicity for PSO2! :D

Dabian
Apr 29, 2012, 08:57 PM
Don't discount the possibility of more classes/variants being added in future updates.

I won't lie, I miss my Protanser :)
On that note, traps need to be made infinite in quantity, much like an equipped weapon. Sure, balance the damage, adjust its power. I'm sure we'd see more use of traps if that were the case. They should be support items, not treated like mini-nukes.

xBladeM6x
Apr 29, 2012, 09:07 PM
Very good article, and couldn't agree more. :D

goldwing
Apr 29, 2012, 09:25 PM
lovely review. even tho im in the beta that review made me want to get in all over again and start playing XD

Enforcer MKV
Apr 29, 2012, 10:14 PM
As much as I love support characters, always playing the healer in MMO's, I can't see Force being "primarily" support. That would imply that a majority of their skills gravitate toward that role and 1 heal and a buff (shifta /deband) that lasts 15 - 20 seconds doesn't scream support. Maybe we should call rangers support too since I see them using Jellen and Weak Shot all the time, that's support too. :P

On Topic: Yay publicity for PSO2! :D

Actually, I'd say that force and Ranger both are dps/support hybrids. I wish I'd found Jellen shot or weaken shot to try, though. Though, Ranger is obviously leaning heavily on DPS. XD

In all seriousness, when a lot of people see force, they want heals....I dealt with that a lot in PSU, and I was a guntecher. I wasn't even a full force. But really, what's with the short effect on buffs?

Vashyron
Apr 29, 2012, 10:24 PM
I wish I'd found Jellen shot or weaken shot to try, though.

? These are skills from the skill tree, you don't find them.

Enforcer MKV
Apr 29, 2012, 10:25 PM
? These are skills from the skill tree, you don't find them.

.....I didn't pay much attention to the skill tree. That explains it.

Cast Soldier
Apr 29, 2012, 11:05 PM
First off GREAT Article!!

Secondly his labeling of Hunter(damage), Ranger(range), Force(support) is dead-on.
Hunter's have one job and they do it well deal damage, yeah they can dabble in range if you call hanguns(gunslash) long range? They can also support, if you can call just Moon/Star Atomizers good support?

Ranger's can deal damage just as well as Hunter, but the Ranger have the advantage of doing it at any range they want hence the name RANGEr. They can also support alittle better then the Hunter, but to my knowledge their are no bullets that heal and revive people.

Now Forces an deal damage as well as both the Hunter and Ranger, any range like the Ranger, with all the optoins to support the whole team to boot.

Hunter's have 1 job to focus on, Rangers have to balance 2, while Forces juggle 3 jobs. Which is why Hunters are for beginners to Forces whih are fore Advanced players.

Spellbinder
Apr 29, 2012, 11:10 PM
I'd say Enforcer's description of Ranger and Force as hybrids is a more fitting description. Saying Force is support just seems absurd to me.

Enforcer MKV
Apr 29, 2012, 11:14 PM
I'd say Enforcer's description of Ranger and Force as hybrids is a more fitting description. Saying Force is support just seems absurd to me.

Full support, sure. Forces simply aren't full support. But they're the closest we have to full on healers/buffers. Heck, my force is probably going to focus predominately on healing and support since you don't have to hit the target to actually get experience - one of Sega's better decisions for PSO2, I might add.

Spellbinder
Apr 29, 2012, 11:19 PM
Full support, sure. Forces simply aren't full support. But they're the closest we have to full on healers/buffers. Heck, my force is probably going to focus predominately on healing and support since you don't have to hit the target to actually get experience - one of Sega's better decisions for PSO2, I might add.

I would have considered a 2nd character to try a support heavy Force character, but after finding and trying out Shifta / Deband, I was sorely disappointed that the effect wore off before I could blink. Plus characters are fairly self-sufficient (maybe less-so in boss battles). If anything, labeling them as "Hunter (Melee), Ranger (Ranged), Force (Magic)," or something along those lines would be a little more accurate without having to get into the nitty gritty that we know to be Hunter, Ranger, and Force.

Enforcer MKV
Apr 29, 2012, 11:26 PM
I would have considered a 2nd character to try a support heavy Force character, but after finding and trying out Shifta / Deband, I was sorely disappointed that the effect wore off before I could blink. Plus characters are fairly self-sufficient (maybe less-so in boss battles). If anything, labeling them as "Hunter (Melee), Ranger (Ranged), Force (Magic)," or something along those lines would be a little more accurate without having to get into the nitty gritty that we know to be Hunter, Ranger, and Force.

This is all true. What were they thinking when they decreased the duration so much? I mean, sure, they lasted too long in PSU at higher levels, but they feel all but useless in PSO2. That's one of the exceedingly few things I have a problem with in regards to game play. Still, my Force from PSU will be resurrected, gosh darn it! D:<

foreignreign
Apr 30, 2012, 12:36 AM
The highest Shifta/Deband you can get is 5...

I'm pretty sure level 5 S/D in PSO1 didn't last for crap either.

Spellbinder
Apr 30, 2012, 12:51 AM
The highest Shifta/Deband you can get is 5...

I'm pretty sure level 5 S/D in PSO1 didn't last for crap either.

I'll be gracious and say that Shifta and Deband last 20 seconds at level 5 here in PSO2. In the original PSO they lasted 30-40 seconds at level 1 and gained 10 seconds per level which would have been at least a minute at level 5, 3 times the duration of PSO2.

Rauten
Apr 30, 2012, 09:32 AM
Perhaps it is SEGA's intention to make it more "spammable", since we now have PP instead of TP and it regenerates rather quickly, or perhaps something to be used only at specific moments, not constantly, like you suddenly get a Code: Duel and you quickly pop some buffs just in case.
Honestly, for the most part, neither buff felt necessary at all. We'll have to see how it all pans out at higher levels/difficulty.

Ash1ey
Apr 30, 2012, 06:55 PM
Part 2 of the article is now up

http://www.1up.com/previews/phantasy-star-online-2-deeper