PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 not just crashes... shuts down my computer?

tim_pkmn89
Apr 27, 2012, 08:03 PM
I'm having a weird problem. Whenever I try to play PSO2 beta, my computer ends up shutting down. It may be during the login screen, or after a half hour of playing, but it always happens. It shuts down just like someone pulled the plug on the system without any warning.

This computer handled Skyrim just fine, so I doubt it's a hardware issue. I even tried playing on graphics setting 1. One other odd thing is that whenever I run the game, SpeedFan stops reporting my motherboard's temperature (instead reporting -1°C)

Has anyone else happened to have an issue like this?

ashley50
Apr 27, 2012, 08:16 PM
I have crap PC and I never had this problem.

moorebounce
Apr 27, 2012, 08:28 PM
If its a Geforce GTX video card you'll need to get another one. I had one that would crash when I got to a map and started killing enemies.

tim_pkmn89
Apr 27, 2012, 08:33 PM
If its a Geforce GTX video card you'll need to get another one. I had one that would crash when I got to a map and started killing enemies.

Nope, it's an ATI that's a few years old

EDIT: Newest drivers of course

Hayde
Apr 27, 2012, 09:12 PM

...I doubt it was crashing simply because you had a "GTX" card. NVidia has been naming their video cards "GTX" since...if I recall, around the 8000 series (which began prior to the 400 series, which brings us up to the current 500 series and finally now the 600 series with the 680 recently released).

Now if it was crashing because your video card was old, malfunctioning, or had some other issues--sure, but blaming it NVidia for its past 3-4 generations of GPU's seems a bit far-fetched. There are plenty of people playing this game with an NVidia card and it's perfectly fine for them--I can attest that much.

Zeota
Apr 27, 2012, 09:53 PM
Does it spontaneously shut off when doing other things? I had something like this happen a couple months ago and it turned out to be a bad fan.

tim_pkmn89
Apr 27, 2012, 09:57 PM
Does it spontaneously shut off when doing other things? I had something like this happen a couple months ago and it turned out to be a bad fan.

Never happens otherwise

CelestialBlade
Apr 27, 2012, 10:28 PM
This happened to a friend of mine, I think it's his PSU overheating (which is further supported by the fan on his nearly dead). Your PSU may be trying to exert too much of a load at once.

Powder Keg
Apr 27, 2012, 10:39 PM
This may seem like a silly question, but do you dust out your computer regularly with compressed air? If too much dust lays in there it'll overheat when you run games that run up your CPU usage.

tim_pkmn89
Apr 27, 2012, 11:04 PM
This happened to a friend of mine, I think it's his PSU overheating (which is further supported by the fan on his nearly dead). Your PSU may be trying to exert too much of a load at once.

This may seem like a silly question, but do you dust out your computer regularly with compressed air? If too much dust lays in there it'll overheat when you run games that run up your CPU usage.

Both seem plausible. I know my PSU is a bottleneck for any future upgrades, and I do need to de_dust (heehee) my computer, but the fact that Skyrim ran fine on what I believe were high settings is what confuses me.

moorebounce
Apr 27, 2012, 11:12 PM
...I doubt it was crashing simply because you had a "GTX" card. NVidia has been naming their video cards "GTX" since...if I recall, around the 8000 series (which began prior to the 400 series, which brings us up to the current 500 series and finally now the 600 series with the 680 recently released).

Now if it was crashing because your video card was old, malfunctioning, or had some other issues--sure, but blaming it NVidia for its past 3-4 generations of GPU's seems a bit far-fetched. There are plenty of people playing this game with an NVidia card and it's perfectly fine for them--I can attest that much.

At least give the guy some help instead of just trying to attack me. I'm still trying to figure out how you got out of my post I was bashing Nvidia. My PC was crashing the same way tim_pkmn89 PC was due to the Nvidia Geforce 550 Ti card I had. I simply told him to take it back (if he could) and get another one. I didn't say Nvidia was bad and go get a ATI or anything like that. You really need to take Nvidia's balls off your chin.

Powder Keg
Apr 27, 2012, 11:16 PM
Both seem plausible. I know my PSU is a bottleneck for any future upgrades, and I do need to de_dust (heehee) my computer, but the fact that Skyrim ran fine on what I believe were high settings is what confuses me.

I guess it depends upon what exactly those particular games are using resource-wise, and not entirely the memory/CPU usage? Not too sure. But I remember when I bought my first PC and neglected to dust it out for a long time, I would run ZSNES fine, but once I ran Gens.....forget it. You'd think they were the same thing, but for whatever reason Gens wouldn't last 10 minutes before overheating it. (yeah, there was a ton of dust in that thing and this PC was from like '01)

Polantaris
Apr 27, 2012, 11:47 PM
I'm having a weird problem. Whenever I try to play PSO2 beta, my computer ends up shutting down. It may be during the login screen, or after a half hour of playing, but it always happens. It shuts down just like someone pulled the plug on the system without any warning.

This computer handled Skyrim just fine, so I doubt it's a hardware issue. I even tried playing on graphics setting 1. One other odd thing is that whenever I run the game, SpeedFan stops reporting my motherboard's temperature (instead reporting -1°C)

Has anyone else happened to have an issue like this?

The JP players have reported issues where the game works GPUs too hard. Even though you can run Skyrim fine, it's likely this game actually runs your GPU harder than Skyrim does. It's probably an overheating issue.

Try using one of those DirectX apps that limit Framerate, and set it to 30 or something similar and see what happens.

They said they were going to put a frame limiter on the game, but it must be awfully high because my game still runs 80-100 at all times even after the patch. I have excellent cooling in my system though which is why I never run into issues. If you don't have amazing cooling, it's very possible it's an overheating issue.

Hayde
Apr 28, 2012, 12:17 AM
At least give the guy some help instead of just trying to attack me. I'm still trying to figure out how you got out of my post I was bashing Nvidia. My PC was crashing the same way tim_pkmn89 PC was due to the Nvidia Geforce 550 Ti card I had. I simply told him to take it back (if he could) and get another one. I didn't say Nvidia was bad and go get a ATI or anything like that. You really need to take Nvidia's balls off your chin.

On the other hand, you took my post way out of context. Take my "NVidia Balls" out of my chin? I didn't say anything in regards to NVidia being superior or inferior to ATI. You merely implied his problem MUST be a GTX-based card. Here, let me paraphrase what you wrote:

^

Look at that. LOOK at what you said. You didn't say that if it had a specific card that he would *might* run into issues, you basically told him--"yep that's the problem, go out and get another one."

I merely stated that no specific brand or make of card, whether it be NVidia, Intel, or ATI could possibly be the sole factor here.

I don't know how you practically got some implication that I was attacking you or that I was a "fanboy", but good lord at least I didn't try to throw a petty fight with childish words. FYI I've been using ATI cards well up until the latest fermi (500x series) and the only reason I'm using my current 560TI is because it was a gift to me for Christmas.

As for the issues with the game running the cards too hot, try forcing VSync on via your Catalyst Control Center:

Wait for Vertical Refresh: This option controls Vertical Synchronization (VSync) in games. VSync is the synchronization of your graphics card and monitor's abilities to redraw the screen a number of times each second (measured in FPS or Hz), and is explained in greater detail on this page of the Gamer's Graphics & Display Settings Guide. There are four choices here:
Always Off - Vertical Sync will always be set to Off, regardless of the setting in the game or 3D application. This provides fastest performance but may result in image 'tearing' which can be annoying to some.

Off, Unless Application Specifies - Vertical Sync will be off by default, however if you choose to enable it in a game or 3D application, it will be enabled for that game/app. This is the recommended mode.

On, Unless Application Specifies - Same as above, except Vertical Sync will be on by default unless otherwise disabled in a particular game or 3D application.

Always On - Vertical Sync will always remain on, regardless of the setting in the game or 3D application. This is not recommended, as it may reduce performance however it guarantees that there will never be any screen "tearing".

If you have an Nvidia card, you can do the same thing:

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_6.html

The latest beta drivers allow you to turn on 'adaptive vsync' or force it to half your frame limit depending on your monitor (60/30 fps).

Forcing VSync, while technically not recommended for applications and games that already natively have them---certainly helps in this case. If you can, I would also enable. triple buffering (available on both NV CP and CCC). I've been able to run the game on relatively high settings @1920x1080 with a max load of approxtimately 65-70c. Not the most charming of temperatures, but certainly within the "safe" range for most modern GPU's. Prior to this, I was getting over 80-100FPS in non-crowded area's, but my card consistently spiked to 80+ celsius.

Also, you may wish to try a manual fan-adjustment program such as MSI Afterburner and raise your temperature curves (check enable software control). The default setup is not bad, and I have another profile where each threshold (so say 40% speed at 40c) is raised by an additional 10% (50% speed @ 40c instead). I always keep one or the other profile running by default--but you should especially toggle them on for gaming. By default, my stupid card was running at a measly 50% fan speed when the card reaching its 80 degrees and higher.

Alenoir
Apr 28, 2012, 01:36 AM
They said they were going to put a frame limiter on the game, but it must be awfully high because my game still runs 80-100 at all times even after the patch.

They already put it in. Before this the game runs at 200 FPS generally.

Lungo
Apr 28, 2012, 07:34 AM
This also happened to me with character creator. I have a very dusty house so it builds up pretty quickly, but now I have cleared it all out of my system it no longer shuts down.

The program itself does crash eventually due to overheating when on top settings though. However it isn't a big deal for me since I'm not playing the beta.