PDA

View Full Version : Set Values for Skill Tree Stats

Blackheart521
Apr 28, 2012, 12:42 AM
I really was thinking about the skill tree segments that give you set points for using them such as the HP and S/T/R Atk upgrades in the skill trees. If you think long term on these stat upgrades they are definitely not worth it, when you hit high levels in the actual game the 50 hp points you get from 10 SP in HP up will mean nothing when you have HP in the thousands, they should really change those to percentages instead so they scale with your level to stay useful on a constant basis... thoughts anyone?^^

Taitu
Apr 28, 2012, 01:45 AM
I can agree with that; however, I also feel that the reason the stat ups aren't significant is so players will focus more on the unique skills within the tree as opposed to their stats.

Blackheart521
Apr 28, 2012, 01:52 AM
I can agree with that; however, I also feel that the reason the stat ups aren't significant is so players will focus more on the unique skills within the tree as opposed to their stats.

still, they shouldn't force that upon us (not saying that's their intention). it should be our choice of balanced skills, not force us to skip through the cheap stat upgrades just to get to the skills, then its less of choice to us, if we want stats over skills then give us a plausible option to... that's all I'm saying

Eggobandit
Apr 28, 2012, 02:43 AM
The skill trees will probably have Tiers and such.

They really dont HAVE to use percentages. Even though 10 stat points really wont make a difference after a while, Skill Trees may eventually evolve to the point where removing an entire branch you were working on could remove hundreds of points from your build.

Percent upgrades always are better because endgame they will scale like nobody's business, but that also makes them very easy to go runaway train when coupled with other later mechanics. But yes, i do agree that putting 10 levels into a skill only to gain 5 points of damage is pretty stupid when enemies have thousands and thousands of HP in this game.

Dinosaur
Apr 28, 2012, 03:06 AM
You're thinking way ahead of the game. If we consider our planned level 40 cap, the highest HP stat is 464(HUcast) and the lowest is 297(FOnewearl). Those are no where near one thousand and miles away from "thousands." Extra 50 HP is actually a pretty big deal, believe it or not. You also have to consider that these tests have edited drop rates and do not reflect the drop rates of the actual game, so you most likely won't be getting soul abilities like free candy. The other stats aside from HP usually float around 300(more or less) and a level 10 skill towards a stat bouns is +50. An average 15% increase from your base stat is pretty significant.

Blackheart521
Apr 28, 2012, 03:36 AM
The other stats aside from HP usually float around 300(more or less) and a level 10 skill towards a stat bouns is +50. An average 15% increase from your base stat is pretty significant.

Though this is true, I just see as the game goes on those skill points become worth less and less, maybe I am getting ahead of myself with this but I'm just looking towards the future. If this is like any other Phantasy Star game, eventually we will get levels 80,90, etc and then those skill points will become near useless in the long run if it stays like the way it is. unless of course our health stays a portion of what it normally is base wise compared to other games, I'm just used to RPGs where your health gets up to 5 or 6 thousand by the time you get to high levels... I feel safe with my big health bar lol^^;

james_b
Apr 28, 2012, 03:46 AM
Supposedly, Stats drop to low values after level 50 and come back to level 50 values around level 84. So, the skill points used in Stat ups may be of use later in the game's life.

Blackheart521
Apr 28, 2012, 03:51 AM
Supposedly, Stats drop to low values after level 50 and come back to level 50 values around level 84. So, the skill points used in Stat ups may be of use later in the game's life.

Could you explain this a bit? doesn't really make sense to me... what do you mean by they drop after level 50? like you get less stats per level after 50? and how would this aid in the longevity of the stat ups?

Eggobandit
Apr 28, 2012, 03:59 AM
Regardless of how powerful you become, that +5 S-Atk skill point you wasted isn't wasted because it leads to a higher-tier skill on the tree.

And it has no obligation to scale, either. The low skill points that are unnoticable at higher levels are not so unnoticable at lower ones, and by the time you ARE a higher level, you'll probably be obtaining skills that are percent based, or give more practical stat boosts.

Basically, there's really no need to worry about this. You're getting ahead of yourself. Even if the lower-tier skills didn't give you anything, they still serve their purpose as SP sinks towards greater abilities.

Pillan
Apr 28, 2012, 07:32 AM

According to the class level data that has been found on the beta, at level 51 all stats except HP and Ability are reduced to their value at level 26. And because not all stats decrease, I would imagine this is an intended feature rather than a glitch. Here's hoping we get 25 skill points to equal out the 25 levels of power lost.

HP caps around 800 at level 100, the current assumed max. So if we assume the current skill point rate of one point per level, you gain 1/16 more HP for 1/10 your skill points. And if we assume that you do get an extra 25 at 50, it is still 1/16 for 1/12.5, both of which are a fairly bad trade off to me.

The other stats cap much lower, so that +50 will always be worth slightly more than 1/10 of your skill points. So it clearly works fine in every case except HP.

But I have to agree that I prefer multipliers to static values myself. Currently, I would rather ignore direct stat increases for special abilities, such as Fury Stance or Weak Bullet. But, even if they did change it that way, it would probably still be balanced so the final multiplier was no better, which would mean I would still focus on abilities.

EDIT:

Also, static increases make the racial differences more insignificant while multipliers maintain them. And I am not arguing for or against that at the moment, just stating it.

Taitu
Apr 28, 2012, 09:52 AM
According to the class level data that has been found on the beta, at level 51 all stats except HP and Ability are reduced to their value at level 26. And because not all stats decrease, I would imagine this is an intended feature rather than a glitch. Here's hoping we get 25 skill points to equal out the 25 levels of power lost.

HP caps around 800 at level 100, the current assumed max. So if we assume the current skill point rate of one point per level, you gain 1/16 more HP for 1/10 your skill points. And if we assume that you do get an extra 25 at 50, it is still 1/16 for 1/12.5, both of which are a fairly bad trade off to me.

The other stats cap much lower, so that +50 will always be worth slightly more than 1/10 of your skill points. So it clearly works fine in every case except HP.

But I have to agree that I prefer multipliers to static values myself. Currently, I would rather ignore direct stat increases for special abilities, such as Fury Stance or Weak Bullet. But, even if they did change it that way, it would probably still be balanced so the final multiplier was no better, which would mean I would still focus on abilities.

EDIT:

Also, static increases make the racial differences more insignificant while multipliers maintain them. And I am not arguing for or against that at the moment, just stating it.

Wait, you mean our stats reduce once we hit level 50? Even if there are stats that didn't reduce that doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't an oversight.

Jonth
Apr 28, 2012, 10:15 AM

They would not make it so that gaining a level sets you at lower stats. They would not do that. What you are talking about has been generally accepted as just them not getting around to updating all the skill tables that far. It's not as if they have really needed to yet. The fact that some are updated and others aren't, just means that they had enough time to go ahead and work on a few stats past a certain point, but not all of them.

Pillan
Apr 28, 2012, 11:17 AM
Well then, if that is the case, investing in any of the stat increases besides maybe ability really does not seem to be a good trade off, as the other stats will probably cap above 500 if the tables are assumed wrong.

But I will be quite interested to see if they really do drop.