PDA

View Full Version : The "constructive critisism" thread

Agitated_AT
Apr 29, 2012, 03:48 PM
So yeah the title kind of says it all. Place your complaints and minor gripes you experienced during the beta test. I figured we needed a thread like this so we can gather and share our issues with the game. There is an impression thread allready but that thread is way too general perhaps. I just heard someone complaining in the game about how overpowered rangers are and how little threat the enemies are to rangers. I haven't tried playing with a ranger myself yet, but that does soudn kind of lame.

Well anyway, my personal complaints are:

The game has all these enemies and monsters in the game, yet the game doesn't really force you to engage them, apart from personal needs to become stronger. I feel like the urge to kill enemies is really missing compared to any other online PS game so far. From pso to PSU to even PS0(zero) we've had gates and barriers preventing you from being able to just go straight from beginning to the boss. I brought this forward in the survey so I hope they can read english and do something about it. I personally suggested something similar to most hack and slash games, which is a barrier that appears(similar to those barriers that surround boxes and need buttons to dissapear) where one could only enter the barriered environment but not escape it untill all enemies are dead. There are emergency codes for this allready at the cave, but imo this should be just a regular thing and not some kind of special event.

My second issue is that enemies arent agressive enough. I mean they are agressive, especially at higher levels, but it's not enough and needs a bit more. They need to be a threat to the rangers as well so some kind of AI programming in behavior so they recognize rangers, and consiously act more agressive towards them would be great perhaps? I don't know just thinking out loud really. The issue with rangers should really be tackled imo because I can imagine how lame that could be. Maybe the game needs more range type enemies to balance things out, since range type enemies are less effective towards hunters.

Anyway so those are mine. Now let me read yours ^^

D-Inferno
Apr 29, 2012, 04:01 PM
When using Girants, the "spinning blades of light" part of the attack doesn't do anything. This is probably a glitch however.

The matter board and NPC quests should be less like fetch quests.

soulpimpwizzurd
Apr 29, 2012, 04:02 PM
i wasn't a big fan of how you were forced to clear out rooms before heading to a boss. i like the fact that you can just skip everything and go to the boss if you can find the right path out to the next area.

it's better this way since people that like clearing out the entire map can do so, but people who just wanna get some 1v1 boss practice in on say, dragon, can do that as well.

my biggest gripe with the game would be that when turn i shaders on, the graphic effects of attacks like foie/launcher explosion/rabarta are really stressful on my computer. it exponentially gets worse the closer i am to said attacks. which stinks, since i usually play hunter, which means i'm close to enemies, which means i'm always close to launcher explosions/foie explosions. it slows down my fps and it starts to ignore some commands.

otherwise with shaders on i get a constant 60 fps. :I. it makes me wish they would somehow make an option that has shaders on, but doesn't have shaders on for all attack skill effects.

Eclipse5632
Apr 29, 2012, 04:07 PM
@Agitated_AT: If you're complaining about difficulty, I would suggest waiting until we can go past Normal.

The leveling feels way too slow at the beginning, and you essentially just have to grind the same quests over and over until you get to level 10 and get access to the volcano. imo they either need to add more forest quests or lower the level requirement to get to the volcano.

I'm actually fine with most of the cash shop stuff (I was planning on paying for the game anyway), but certain things in combination bother me. For instance, I don't particularly mind having to buy extra skill trees or skill tree resets. At least those are options now, whereas in PSO your only option was to restart your entire character if you messed up your build. The problem is that making a new character costs money too, so you haveto pay money if you mess up somehow or change your mind.
I'm interested to see how the AC shop will change between closed and open beta, which I suspect it will. There's been considerable backlash surrounding it and in the past they've listened to a lot of fan concerns when making changes between versions. Plus, we don't even know how much any of this is going to cost.

I guess another problem I have is that ability transferring for weapons/armor feels a bit too restrictive. Maybe it's actually balanced for higher level stuff where you get better abilities, but it feels like too much effort to try and get more than one decent ability on an item (assuming it started with one or none). Not to mention the further restrictions in place surrounding the soul abilities.

MAXrobo
Apr 29, 2012, 04:10 PM
The traps for rangers need improvement, as they are now, I dont see a reason to use them. they take a long time to set, have limited uses, and dont do much damage. its a better use of my time to just keep shooting. i think ether setting them should be instant, or let me throw them like the stun grenades.

Ryudo
Apr 29, 2012, 04:12 PM
do you really need multiple topics to post the exact same complaint? you're still wrong in any case. The game rewards you for fighting enemies, besides the obvious more exp/drops/meseta you need to kill stuff to get the S rank, you need to kill stuff towards titles andf client orders

pretty much whenever it's a choice between forcing you to do something and rewarding you for doing it, rewarding is the better game design

Ark22
Apr 29, 2012, 04:13 PM
@Agitated_AT: If you're complaining about difficulty, I would suggest waiting until we can go past Normal.

The leveling feels way too slow at the beginning, and you essentially just have to grind the same quests over and over until you get to level 10 and get access to the volcano. imo they either need to add more forest quests or lower the level requirement to get to the volcano.

Did you play PSO and run through forests like 20 times just to be at a decent level to go in caves xD?

Sure it's slow but it gives it replay ability PLUS it gives you a reason to do most of those matterboard quests.

soulpimpwizzurd
Apr 29, 2012, 04:16 PM
The traps for rangers need improvement, as they are now, I dont see a reason to use them. they take a long time to set, have limited uses, and dont do much damage. its a better use of my time to just keep shooting. i think ether setting them should be instant, or let me throw them like the stun grenades.

yeah traps are pretty gimped and close to worthless, imo. same with stun grenade, it really doesn't seem to do anything. other branches of the ranger tree are much better.

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2012, 04:16 PM
i wasn't a big fan of how you were forced to clear out rooms before heading to a boss. i like the fact that you can just skip everything and go to the boss if you can find the right path out to the next area.

it's better this way since people that like clearing out the entire map can do so, but people who just wanna get some 1v1 boss practice in on say, dragon, can do that as well.

THIS, especially for seperating parties that want to farm boss drops, and parties that just want to level. Kind of tired of repeating this for people that swear quests/open missions are too short in this game. Plus I ALWAYS feel obligated to whale on some monsters before I get around anywhere.

Ark22
Apr 29, 2012, 04:24 PM
THIS, especially for seperating parties that want to farm boss drops, and parties that just want to level. Kind of tired of repeating this for people that swear quests/open missions are too short in this game. Plus I ALWAYS feel obligated to whale on some monsters before I get around anywhere.

You were conditioned O:! Did you start salivating everytime a rare popped up?

Agitated_AT
Apr 29, 2012, 04:25 PM
do you really need multiple topics to post the exact same complaint? you're still wrong in any case. The game rewards you for fighting enemies, besides the obvious more exp/drops/meseta you need to kill stuff to get the S rank, you need to kill stuff towards titles andf client orders

pretty much whenever it's a choice between forcing you to do something and rewarding you for doing it, rewarding is the better game design

It's needed for various reasons. Not only does it give incentive to kill enemies no matter how strong you are, but it keeps the team together. When I was still busy grinding myself to lvl 20, all the other lvl 20 guys in the team with great equips wanted to head straight to either the huge monster or the boss himself. You're not understanding the issue. They were there for a reason in all previous games

soulpimpwizzurd
Apr 29, 2012, 04:26 PM

ENGO SHITEKURETE ARIGATOU

FerrPSO
Apr 29, 2012, 04:39 PM
I really cant think on anything bad about of the core of the game.

Theres things like wanting more map variations, more diverse music (wish something more"funky" like weird night/halloween lobby, the lobby shop, crater interior) but is something that I cant judge till the full game is out.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the hunter skill tree is a little weird, for example, having sword gear in the middle of defensive bonuses, when that gears penalises being defensive. It feels like a punishment for someone who wants to build a full damage dealer hunter with swords, especially such and ofensive skill like swordgear.

Also, I too think enemies should be more agresive, but we have only saw the first 2 zones. Monster in Caves werent that much agresive, it was just that the player always went there underleveled.

Eclipse5632
Apr 29, 2012, 04:39 PM
Did you play PSO and run through forests like 20 times just to be at a decent level to go in caves xD?

Sure it's slow but it gives it replay ability PLUS it gives you a reason to do most of those matterboard quests.
At least PSO had story quests that made the grinding a bit more interesting, and by the time you finished with those you were usually at a good level to take on the dragon and then move on to caves.

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2012, 04:42 PM
You were conditioned O:! Did you start salivating everytime a rare popped up?

Red is the color that travels the farthest, I'd know cause Axel said so. Also because of that tiny bloody red sparkly blob hitting me in my brain from the corner of my eye telling me "THERE'S A RARE OVER THERE, ISN'T THERE!"

Then you find out they just used it to replace tekker weapons... which you can't even use or tell what rank the weapon till you spend thousands on it, and it's just a 1* with some special effects. ;o;

Clessy
Apr 29, 2012, 04:55 PM
Biggest complaint. Its not PSO. Its more psu with a pso skin pack

I don't like having to play matter boards and quest to unlock my stages.

I wont to play the stages and have the quest be optional things you never do like in pso.

Same with the matter board I don't ever wanna have to do it.

Thats really my only issue is being forced into doing stuff that takes so long when I just wanna grind the main stages and fight bosses over and over.

Oh and lack of weapons. Single saber and s shield please!

OHHHH and I absolutely hate how you can just change your job. Totally fucking lame. Makes the races just a minor stat bonus.

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2012, 05:29 PM

I wont to play the stages and have the quest be optional things you never do like in pso.

Thats really my only issue is being forced into doing stuff that takes so long when I just wanna grind the main stages and fight bosses over and over.

OHHHH and I absolutely hate how you can just change your job. Totally fucking lame. Makes the races just a minor stat bonus.

This is kinda getting old... GET IT? PSO IS OLD?! 8D

What makes this game PSU and NOT PSO? (when it's really neither, it's PSO2)

soulpimpwizzurd
Apr 29, 2012, 05:52 PM

U ALWAYS BEEN A JOKUH MAYN <8D

< is not a hat it is upturned eyebrows

Clessy
Apr 29, 2012, 06:12 PM

Job switch its not locked to race like it was and should be in pso

You dont just start a room and run the stages like pso.

Its got more a of a psu style system for fighting, leveling and how the game handles.

djizomdjinn
Apr 29, 2012, 06:22 PM
....Bosses should drop at minimum 8 items at all times. At least four should always be items.

I am sick and tired of watching rockbear drop 4 meseta pickups. I mean cmon, at least the Dragon in PSO had brown chests all over the place to compensate for only dropping trimates!

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2012, 06:23 PM
Job switch its not locked to race like it was and should be in pso

You dont just start a room and run the stages like pso.

Its got more a of a psu style system for fighting, leveling and how the game handles.

>Class changing resets your level. Levels are based on the class, it's like starting a new character.

>You actually CAN just run into the missions whenever you want when you picked the free missions (which is the largest form of the area, and even bosses can spawn, as well you can quickly pick the next mission and jump right in with little delay from the camp ship.

>PSU's battle system was obviously far from perfect, but after PSP2 it was fine. PSO2's battle system is fine as well, if anything VASTLY improved and made WAY more fun. both still based and similar to PSO's battle system. I can see why someone would get bored of PSU's battle system... But PSO2? I can only assume you're just thinking "NOT PSO/PSZ'S clunky battle system" and just calling it "PSU'S BATTLE SYSTEM" to illegitimately say it's bad...

I'm not saying it's you and from the sounds you're still enjoying this game (I think?) But Seriously, if some people aren't going to at least TRY to give this game a REAL chance... they'll just be waiting another decade(probably longer since I can see this game being more successful) for PSO HD remix... While we continue to call them PSO purists.

Demon-
Apr 29, 2012, 06:33 PM
Okay first I must say that I'm loving this game so far but there are a few minor issues. I don't have any problem with the exp rate so far. I mean yeah the monsters don't give much but the client orders and other things make up for it. I know this is just normal so I'm not going to say this game is to easy. Also I'm pretty sure they will be adding more weapons and outfits later so I'm now going to complain about that ether.

So here is a few things I think they should fix:

-I don't like how the game makes you wait for a second when accepting or turning in client orders and you have to watch that graphic saying you accepted or completed it. I just think most of these on-screen messages saying you completed something is not needed.

-Same goes for the way the matter board takes a few seconds to complete when you get back from a mission. You have to stand there and wait for the little graphic to finish then another message pops-up then finally lets you pick a new one.

-I also find it kind of annoying when in a mission (especially if you are fighting a group of monsters) and you complete a client order and the guy pops-up on screen and says a bunch of crap. Normally that would be fine but it hinders you from attacking because when you left click instead of you attacking it makes him say the next message. So basically you have to drop everything and run to a safe spot and mash enter a bunch of times to get the messages off the screen.

-When looking at the list of parties you can join, I think all unjoinable parties should be greyed out not just a few. I think right now just the full 4-man parties are greyed out but it's kind of annoying when trying to join a party that has a spot open only to have that message pop up saying you can't join because the multi-party area is full 12/12 or the party is in a unjoinable area.

-Also the list of parties should be sorted by time. Newest parties on top and older ones on bottom.

Ark22
Apr 29, 2012, 07:37 PM
Red is the color that travels the farthest, I'd know cause Axel said so. Also because of that tiny bloody red sparkly blob hitting me in my brain from the corner of my eye telling me "THERE'S A RARE OVER THERE, ISN'T THERE!"

Then you find out they just used it to replace tekker weapons... which you can't even use or tell what rank the weapon till you spend thousands on it, and it's just a 1* with some special effects. ;o;

THAT is .....I repeat THAT IS BULL ****.

PSO you didn't know how good it was because everything cost 100 mes to discover da fuq it was.

This game you have to spend an ARM and a leg just to figure out it is a shitty weapon with shitty stats.

I mean sure the higher it is the better you expect it to be but come on, 25,000 for a crappy 7 star common GS? Gtfo Sega.

Sorry, my opinion, but I love the game =)

Also, did anyone else have an awesome dream about beasts being inside the game xD?

Enforcer MKV
Apr 29, 2012, 07:43 PM
THAT is .....I repeat THAT IS BULL ****.

PSO you didn't know how good it was because everything cost 100 mes to discover da fuq it was.

This game you have to spend an ARM and a leg just to figure out it is a shitty weapon with shitty stats.

I mean sure the higher it is the better you expect it to be but come on, 25,000 for a crappy 7 star common GS? Gtfo Sega.

Sorry, my opinion, but I love the game =)

Also, did anyone else have an awesome dream about beasts being inside the game xD?

The increase in price is so we have 'another' money sink. Because we apparently don't have enough. ;p

FenixStryk
Apr 29, 2012, 07:51 PM
Right now my only complaint is that the game is too easy: trash monsters are far too sparse and attack too infrequently, and bosses don't hit like trucks.

Case in point: as a Force, even if Dark Ragne hits me (which is rare already, considering how reliable air Mirage Escape is), I can actually get away with shrugging it off and continuing to tunnel him. A Force-- the squishy class-- is able to go two or three hits before they need to reach for Resta to survive. Isn't that too forgiving when the class already has a super-reliable dash and what is effectively regenerating health via Resta?

Suffice to say, I'd like to see waves increased to about a dozen per spawn, more aggressive AI, and bosses with attacks that aren't laboriously choreographed Wiffle bats. I have a feeling Hard and Very Hard will fix all of this, but... for now, that's how it is.

Ark22
Apr 29, 2012, 07:53 PM
Right now my only complaint is that the game is too easy: trash monsters are far too sparse and attack too infrequently, and bosses don't hit like trucks.

Case in point: as a Force, even if Dark Ragne hits me (which is rare already, considering how reliable air Mirage Escape is), I can actually get away with shrugging it off and continuing to tunnel him. A Force-- the squishy class-- is able to go two or three hits before they need to reach for Resta to survive. Isn't that too forgiving when the class already has a super-reliable dash and what is effectively regenerating health via Resta?

Suffice to say, I'd like to see waves increased to about a dozen per spawn, more aggressive AI, and bosses with attacks that aren't laboriously choreographed Wiffle bats. I have a feeling Hard and Very Hard will fix all of this, but... for now, that's how it is.

I can do the same thing, but DPS it with a GS and not worry about death because the dodging is prety OP haha.

HandOfThornz
Apr 29, 2012, 07:54 PM
i'm happy with PSO2, there is a ton of excellent things i like about it :)

PSE events in multiplayer areas are excellent and a great way to build up your cash and items for grinding.

i thought i would dislike the different classes and class levels being seperate and having to start over for new classes, but i actually dont mind it.

Nice to see common storage between all your character slots on the same ship. A bit anoying you are tied to one ship though.

I really didnt like client orders in psp2, but they work really well in PSO2. They have more purpose and nice rewards.

A nice extra is the title rewards, like trophies on a console. Always nice to get more things to complete.

Partner AI is much better than PSU

Random maps are great and keep things fresher for longer. Also they feel a good length.
Also i like the idea of being able to skip enemies and head to boss.
Also having bosses as emergency events is great!

More rare enemies and more obvious details hightlighting you have found a rare enemy would be cool.

Ginding and adding attibutes works well, but im finiding adding abilities a little too frustrating and far too low % of success (even with booster items). + the price seems a little too high for lower leveled weapons.

Cash shop is okay and i'll be using it, nice change to the old rpg way of monthly subs.

My room is excellent. Its great to have 3 rooms i just hope we get a bucket load of content and styles for each room.

Player shops are my only main concern, i find the new system slow and time consuming. they should have a select all function for setting a price for newly added items. Maybe im missing something in translation but adding 20 items then individually having to manual add a price for each one, is annoying. Also i would love more space to sell more items, i think its capped around 30 items?

The search for items has improved but i think the min/max value tick box should always be on/ticked. If the value is set to 0 then value search is off.
Also search parameters being reset everytime i go back to the search page gets annoying.

I would like a elemental colouring of weapons in my weapns palette. Many times i had to re-equipt ice and fire weapons to remind myself what elemental weapon was in which slot. However, again maybe im missing something in translation.

Ranger first person camera, is there a control setting that allows you to slow the camera movement speed down? i found i spent more time trying to get the cursor on the weak spot of a boss, then the boss moves before i have even fired, lol
Third person auto target works get though!

A few bugs i hope they fix for release,
1. in PSE burst, in multiplayer areas with a few teams kicking some behind, the audio distorts and stutters. Criware is not a great audio engine and is mainly aimed at consoles, im surprised Wwise or Fmod wasnt used.
2. when in eg level1 of caves if i have one of my wepons selected (example slot 2 weapon) when i go to the next level, my weapon changes to slot 1 everytime i changed level. I only noticed this with talis not sure if it happens with all weapons.
3. emergency event collect, make sure the blocks are in areas we can get to! and not the other side of the gate that we cant get too!

The Japanese player base have been awesome. I cant really communicate much but random teams have worked like cloakwork, everyone helping each other out. I hope we end up on the same server and have an in game translation tool.

Overall i'm excited about PSO2, i'm looking forward to spending many hours on it! Great work SEGA/sonic team.....i just hope they localise it for JP release!

Enforcer MKV
Apr 29, 2012, 08:00 PM
Most of my concerns lie in the Cash shop. I think that Mag reset and Skill tree reset shouldn't be paid items. Just make skill tree resets extremely expensive, and mag resets don't even need to be too expensive, just because they'll take to long to re-level.

If I had my way, I'd also put a permanent option on the package for room/trade/etc. I understand the justifications behind hiding an important part of an online RPG behind a sub, but it still doesn't sit well with me.

Oh, and retail points cards. Those would be nice.

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2012, 08:01 PM
We still can't say much for difficulty, because they said there would be harder modes... and this IS still the first 20 levels. But I definitely agree that after you get the hang of things... you can just walk through enemies like water.

But at LEAST it's fun to do so... In PSO and PSU I'd just fall asleep (literally, not exaggerating) plowing through monsters pressing one button. It's DEFINITELY more fun and challenging fighting bosses when you're under leveled. So I can imagine things will get a lot more interesting when we get more content and higher difficulties.

It STILL bugs me that JP alpha 2 players asked to have the "earlier" monsters in the game nerfed though... Anyone that played alpha 2 notice a huge difference in difficulty up to level 20? @_@

Ark22
Apr 29, 2012, 08:14 PM
We still can't say much for difficulty, because they said there would be harder modes... and this IS still the first 20 levels. But I definitely agree that after you get the hang of things... you can just walk through enemies like water.

But at LEAST it's fun to do so... In PSO and PSU I'd just fall asleep (literally, not exaggerating) plowing through monsters pressing one button. It's DEFINITELY more fun and challenging fighting bosses when you're under leveled. So I can imagine things will get a lot more interesting when we get more content and higher difficulties.

It STILL bugs me that JP alpha 2 players asked to have the "earlier" monsters in the game nerfed though... Anyone that played alpha 2 notice a huge difference in difficulty up to level 20? @_@

THIS.

Not gonna lie, when I fought a rock bear again at level 7 I was actually afraid I was gonna die at some points.

Itsuki
Apr 29, 2012, 08:21 PM

Because of the current available equipment, ranger is actually the squishiest class in most cases. Force is unnaturally beefy. When you're below level and under equipped for the fights, it seemed about right to me.

Anyways:
- Certain skills in the game seem completely unbalanced. I find the biggest problem to come from ranger skills. Jellen makes the level 20 Dark Ragne deal 1s to my force. The strongest mob in the game, deals 1 damage to a force. Seriously. Weak bullet on the other hand, triples damage from everyone in the party. This completely annihilates bosses if the team is remotely organized.

- Creation of a new character on a new ship requires purchasing of a new character license. I personally think your first character on any ship should be free, even if they plan to charge you for additional ones on the same ship.

EDIT: To elaborate on the ranger being the squishiest thing. This mainly comes from Ragne soul items, which give like +HP in addition to +TEC. The rangers I played with tended to have ~300hp at level 20 when equipped for optimal damage. While, on the other hand, as a force, I had ~400hp when equipped for optimal damage (though slightly lower defensive stats). This is a considerable difference and was because I was getting +110 HP from units that all gave atleast 40 TEC.

foreignreign
Apr 29, 2012, 08:42 PM
-I want to be able to map "normal attack" to the shift-activated palette that FOs get for rods/talis.

-An easier way to access different quickslot rows (hitting F + G is annoying)

-Gigrants is underwhelming.

-Tech balancing. Honestly, I feel like Razonde, Gibarta and Foie are all mostly useless at the moment. Zonde/Gizonde are better at any job Razonde can do, Gibarta has low freeze chance for whatever reason and doesn't feel like it has a distinct advantage over Rabarta when it comes to crowd control, and Rafoie does around the same damage as Foie, and is also instant travel (and has a better time hitting weakspots). Foie might have more range but you don't really get to sit and snipe anything of real worth that often anyway. Maybe this will all change at higher levels though.

-More weapons. 3 weapons that are FO-accessible is a major letdown, even if the Gunslash is essentially saber + pistol from PSO1.

-MAGs shouldn't be cash-shop only (extra ones, anyway). I think if they want to milk money from MAGs, they should offer complete MAG-reset tickets, a "stat" reset ticket (wipes out all the levels of a stat of your choosing) and just make devices straight-up purchasable as opposed to random from scratch cards (either make it a random device from a bag or you can pick which one you get). Or let each character only hold two MAGs, and letting you buy additional MAG slots.

-Character creation is sorely lacking for male robots. They just get 3 different heads and a few "human" heads while females get pretty much exactly what humans get.

-On the same token of character creation, they should add a color option for each hat. I want a blue beret, not a red one. And costumes should have all 3 colors be select-able, not just the primary color.

-Not being able to tekk things while on a mission (without leaving it) is lame. I can understand not having access to town (because then you could change classes to make the game easier or something) but not being able to tekk is a downer.

Think that's it?

EDIT: Oh, I forgot the most important complaint. There's no butt slider in character creation!

Clessy
Apr 29, 2012, 08:51 PM
>Class changing resets your level. Levels are based on the class, it's like starting a new character.

>You actually CAN just run into the missions whenever you want when you picked the free missions (which is the largest form of the area, and even bosses can spawn, as well you can quickly pick the next mission and jump right in with little delay from the camp ship.

>PSU's battle system was obviously far from perfect, but after PSP2 it was fine. PSO2's battle system is fine as well, if anything VASTLY improved and made WAY more fun. both still based and similar to PSO's battle system. I can see why someone would get bored of PSU's battle system... But PSO2? I can only assume you're just thinking "NOT PSO/PSZ'S clunky battle system" and just calling it "PSU'S BATTLE SYSTEM" to illegitimately say it's bad...

I'm not saying it's you and from the sounds you're still enjoying this game (I think?) But Seriously, if some people aren't going to at least TRY to give this game a REAL chance... they'll just be waiting another decade(probably longer since I can see this game being more successful) for PSO HD remix... While we continue to call them PSO purists.

Dude you have to fucking unlock free missions thats the whole point its annoying as shit.

Dabian
Apr 29, 2012, 08:54 PM
My personal likes/dislikes.

-You're encouraged to join groups. More spawns, more loot/EXP, coupled with emergency codes all add to the fun.

-I have to keep telling myself that Forests and Caves might just only be the surface, so the nagging feeling that there's not much of a challenge shouldn't be given too much weight...yet.

-An option for Tekked weapons to be neutral instead of forcing a choice of element would be nice. But that's just a personal preference, nothing game-shattering :p

-I like that the game (as far as the content of the beta) is "complete" for the F2P model. Unless I missed something, there isn't anything a player who doesn't drop a dime cannot access. No I can forgo shop/room if I really was that casual with the game.

-We're going to need a lot more outfits/styles Sega. I know it's only beta. So I'm holding judgement till then.

-Combat is nice. Feels good. Even as a Force, I'm smacking mobs about whilst performing what most groups appreciate most in a Force, support.

-Will update when I'm coherent again >.<

Ezodagrom
Apr 29, 2012, 09:04 PM

Only the first 3 matterboard objectives (B-1, B-2 and B-3) are actually required to unlock quests, with B-3 client orders are unlocked, and all important client orders are given by the same NPC in one of the quest counters.

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2012, 09:06 PM
Dude you have to fucking unlock free missions thats the whole point its annoying as shit.

Probably because the free missions are filled with level 9-20 enemies including random bosses that could come up at anytime?

Yeah, I think I'd want a build up for that if I was a game designer.

Dabian
Apr 29, 2012, 09:07 PM
Infinity's mission-building feature could have a place here. Complete with "insert emergency code here" type elements :)

Chik'Tikka
Apr 29, 2012, 09:42 PM
would have liked to have been able to save a character template in the makeover shop and not just at the biggining of the game, even if it cost a little AC to do it then, its just a shame to spend hours making a character only to not know about the save template thing, i hope that i can spend some time with the CC program after beta closes. another gripe is trading, outright trading should be allowed, shops and rooms id pay for but trading? this has to be the first F2P MMO i ever played that charged real world money to allow trading... +^_^+

Clessy
Apr 29, 2012, 10:09 PM
Probably because the free missions are filled with level 9-20 enemies including random bosses that could come up at anytime?

Yeah, I think I'd want a build up for that if I was a game designer.

In the original pso you started a map and a normal enemy could 1 shot you with a crit.

Its called avoiding attacks. You had to grind. I enjoy grinding 1 big challeging stage instead of tiny little parts in it that are forced quest.

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2012, 10:27 PM
In the original pso you started a map and a normal enemy could 1 shot you with a crit.

Its called avoiding attacks. You had to grind. I enjoy grinding 1 big challeging stage instead of tiny little parts in it that are forced quest.

Well I'm sorry if pressing start so your character doesn't slow down for some lame slow and clunky battle pose to dodge enemy attacks when you're level 1 makes PSO's battle system the best in the world to you. @_@

Or that unlocking the ONE quest that you sound like you want is sooo tedious, which it wouldn't be for ANYONE if we knew how to do it. But you know... we're playing a closed beta game in Japanese.

If anything most of the quests are all bigger than both of PSO's forest stages combined anyway... I'm getting this "Not how PSO did it" = "Automatically bad" vibe when people compare PSO to any other iteration of Phatansy Star. But most of the reasoning behind "PSO = better" seems to be nitpicking. Or... ATMOSPHERE. If you bring up atmosphere, I'm gonna have to call you crazy. D:

Dabian
Apr 29, 2012, 10:38 PM
If you wanted THE PSO experience....well then...play PSO? :p

DemonMike
Apr 29, 2012, 10:53 PM
My only big criticism, which is admittedly kind of unfair given how little we have of it, is the story.

PSO's story was, to put it simply, definitely hit and miss. The miss? The given story was very basic. The hit? It completely simulated the atmosphere. You worked as a hunter. You were given your job and you were given instructions to keep things hush. And you finished your job with a tragic discovery.

But that's not all. You could dig your way into the conspiracy by deviating. Taking random quests and talking around with the folk in Pioneer 2 gave you some juicy info. Unique selections in some of that very little text opened up little twists. Osto's research. Kireek slowly becoming more chaotic. The truth behind some of the experiments that led to what happened.

PSO2 seems to return to the form of.. having it all handed to us on a plate. That's fine to, I have no problem with that, most RPG's are handled like that and some good stories come of it. Problem is, the team isn't very good with those sort of stories and that worries me. The entire Universe series was a fucking snore fest in my opinion and I'd love to see them try to go back to what to me was what made Phantasy Star Online so appealing. It wasn't the gameplay (let's face it, it's dated), it was the story.

Also, where's my guild card system and racial differences in stats? I would have thought that those sorts of things would be incredibly beneficial to Sega considering it would attract more players to pay for new characters.

Eggobandit
Apr 29, 2012, 11:45 PM
The problem isnt handing it to us on a plate. The problem is taking itself too seriously. I dont care about these cute little girls running around on the planet in these quest tablets while im playing -- i just want to play. Lets be serious now; PSO's story was very simplistic. But it worked, and thats what counts. It worked because it gave the player the basics and then let you use your own deductive skills and imagination to figure stuff out.

I can already tell that i wont care for PSO2's storymode, and it wouldnt be an issue if it were not directly tied into character progression. I dont care about creepy manvoice woman, i dont care about silent amnesia moe girl, i dont care about the cute little newman twins on naberius. The only one i care about is Koffie because making her happy gives me more stuff to kill. My partner is a kindergartner for christs sake. Echo is cute i guess, and Xeno and the others are cool, but i really...dont want them to be anything other than side characters.

I guess the important part is this. Back during PSO, your partners were actually believable. Ash, Kireek, Elenore? They were all hunters, and they all looked like them. Despite the fact he was a complete noob, Ash wasn't some short kid wearing kneehigh shorts. Sil'fer, Kraz, Ino'lis and the others? Break, Endu, Laura, Rufina? Believable fighters, killers even. Relmitos was in a child's body and still could be taken seriously. Emilia, Lumia (AotI), Vivienne? Afin, Echo, Maloo, and 50% of the PSO2 cast? They do not look like fighters. Hell, they dont even look mildly dangerous. They just degrade the believable factor of the game.

Which is the difference in PSU and PSO to me. PSO was believable to an extent. You stayed on the ground, your characters didnt wear odd fashion statements (unless you were Fo) or have underboob/asscheek revealing outfits like in PSO2. Androids were ANDROIDS, they looked like humanoid robots designed for battle. Not gundams with stupid knee joints and random blocks of metal stuck everywhere.

The story wasn't the only thing that made PSO have that feeling, the whole game was made to help drive that feeling. Overall, your character just felt "human" in PSO than any of the other titles.

Enforcer MKV
Apr 30, 2012, 12:00 AM
The problem isnt handing it to us on a plate. The problem is taking itself too seriously. I dont care about these cute little girls running around on the planet in these quest tablets while im playing -- i just want to play. Lets be serious now; PSO's story was very simplistic. But it worked, and thats what counts. It worked because it gave the player the basics and then let you use your own deductive skills and imagination to figure stuff out.

I can already tell that i wont care for PSO2's storymode, and it wouldnt be an issue if it were not directly tied into character progression. My partner is a fucking kindergartner for christs sake.

Of course, the taking it too seriously card works both way. I like what I see of the story so far, lolis aside (and no, I don't mean Afin). But honestly, I didn't care too much....because I couldn't understand what they were saying. I am fully looking forward to seeing what the story has in store for us, however.

Honestly, we don't know how tied to a character's progression story is, because we've only been given a snippet of the game to sample. And those tablets....i don't think you're required to access them, either, at least not in most cases if you're not following the story. Honestly, I think they're supposed to operate in a similar capacity as the data files you found in PSO that Rico left - they offer information, but not huge chunks. They may be bits of background that make the universe more whole. Honestly, I just want a translated version so I can enjoy the Japanese VO (which I desperately hope they have an option for Jp VO with En subs in our version of the client.) while playing the game, and finding out what's just going on.

(and honestly, the english VO is what killed it for me. But I definitely agree that a lot of the characters in PSO2 are going to be hard to take seriously....Can I see a bad ass looking male CAST besides myself, please? and I mean in the story.)

Eggobandit
Apr 30, 2012, 12:04 AM
I skipped them because i didnt understand them too. Im sure i'll enjoy the story to some extent, but i just dislike the character cast they chose. None of them look like fighters and none of them look dangerous.

It looks like im babysitting some kind of junior cosplaying class rather than actually on a serious mission while playing with those guys. Between Afin, all the random little girls scattered around the quest tablets, and miss Moe Amnesia Loliforce girl you find in chapter 1.....i just cannot take anything in PSO2 seriously story-wise.

I can already taste where the story is headed.

kdrakari
Apr 30, 2012, 12:06 AM
-Needs REAL rifles, not mechgun that looks like a rifle.

-Non-force classes should still be able to use techniques, if only a limited number.

-Targeted healing spell in addition to the current area healing.

-Traps should not need to be bought.

-A little more distinction between the races, I think (didn't really examine the differences closely, but as-is it seems like it's just a few points in the regular stats that change).

-More than just 1 character for free. At least count separately for each server.

-More complex bosses, though that may just be because I tried leveling every class equally so never saw anything past the caterdrag'n.

foreignreign
Apr 30, 2012, 12:25 AM
I skipped them because i didnt understand them too. Im sure i'll enjoy the story to some extent, but i just dislike the character cast they chose. None of them look like fighters and none of them look dangerous.

It looks like im babysitting some kind of junior cosplaying class rather than actually on a serious mission while playing with those guys. Between Afin, all the random little girls scattered around the quest tablets, and miss Moe Amnesia Loliforce girl you find in chapter 1.....i just cannot take anything in PSO2 seriously story-wise.

I can already taste where the story is headed.

Honestly... I don't see where you're coming from. Because FOnewearls to me always looked like little girls. Or just completely ridiculous. Or stupid. Or a combination of all of them. So I'm fine with however they decide to dress up a FOnewearl.

Like sure, the male cast looked like they belonged in a fight... but so do Xeno, Jean and Ohza. And out of the characters that actually fight with you, those three account for half of them. The remaining people being Echo and Maloo and while Maloo is childlike (which doesn't bother me because again, FOnewearls look weird to me), Echo looks at least somewhat believable. And Afin is just Afin and is supposed to be a coward anyway.

I mean, in PSO1 they start you off pretty early with that reporter chick who pretty clearly doesn't belong in a fight but you fight with her anyway. And then there was the Hildebear research FOmarl, but default FOmarl looks like a pregnant woman.

Yes I said pregnant woman because that ball of light she's holding at her chest-level in her official art always looked like extra belly to her chest because it was the same color as her clothes so yeah. Totally pregenant.

And then there was MOMO who contributed nothing, so much that even Sega acknowledged his lack of worth and just made him fall over and die in PSO Ep I & II. Along with that fat guy (or girl?) you party with who would pretty obviously die in a fight if left to his own devices.

Plus, does Red Ring Rico even look like much of a fighter? We barely see her but she looks more like one of those punk/goth chicks than a fighter judging from Google searching images of her. And she was supposed to be the raddest hunter around.

Like the NPCs you partied with in PSO1 don't leave as rugged of an impression as you make them out to. And RAmars in general also looked silly because of their turtle shell back now that I think about it.

NoiseHERO
Apr 30, 2012, 12:44 AM
Honestly... I don't see where you're coming from. Because FOnewearls to me always looked like little girls. Or just completely ridiculous. Or stupid. Or a combination of all of them. So I'm fine with however they decide to dress up a FOnewearl.

Like sure, the male cast looked like they belonged in a fight... but so do Xeno, Jean and Ohza. And out of the characters that actually fight with you, those three account for half of them. The remaining people being Echo and Maloo and while Maloo is childlike (which doesn't bother me because again, FOnewearls look weird to me), Echo looks at least somewhat believable. And Afin is just Afin and is supposed to be a coward anyway.

I mean, in PSO1 they start you off pretty early with that reporter chick who pretty clearly doesn't belong in a fight but you fight with her anyway. And then there was the Hildebear research FOmarl, but default FOmarl looks like a pregnant woman.

Yes I said pregnant woman because that ball of light she's holding at her chest-level in her official art always looked like extra belly to her chest because it was the same color as her clothes so yeah. Totally pregenant.

And then there was MOMO who contributed nothing, so much that even Sega acknowledged his lack of worth and just made him fall over and die in PSO Ep I & II. Along with that fat guy (or girl?) you party with who would pretty obviously die in a fight if left to his own devices.

Plus, does Red Ring Rico even look like much of a fighter? We barely see her but she looks more like one of those punk/goth chicks than a fighter judging from Google searching images of her. And she was supposed to be the raddest hunter around.

Like the NPCs you partied with in PSO1 don't leave as rugged of an impression as you make them out to. And RAmars in general also looked silly because of their turtle shell back now that I think about it.

"BUT PSO HAD ATMOSPHEEEREREREREREREREE!!!! D8"

Anyway forget the PSO vs PSU into PSO2 crap, this game is way too good to be put down because of super glued nostalgia goggles making people think PSO was soooo perfect, if PSO was so perfect you wouldn't be looking for it's "FEELING" in new games and then not giving them a chance because it's not there. PSO2 has a better feeling for me so far and it doesn't deserved to be nitpicked for not being PSO1.

They even TOLD us this isn't your "true sequel to PSO" but a completely new game taking reference from ALL of the past games. So far I'll also throw in, that it has the best battle system. I don't know how dodging, blocking, countering, jumping customizable combos, and weapons each having their own completely unique playstyle is... "Not better than PSO" or "Toomuch like PSU."

Back to some real CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

Chik'Tikka
Apr 30, 2012, 01:20 AM
One thing i noticed about west versus east games, western games are often extremely realistic or vary dark and serious (cod, gears, skyrim, etc.) while eastern games are often quite lighthearted and a little surreal (FF, Phantasy Star, Devil may cry, etc.) there's always exceptions but that's how i see the trends+^_^+
P.S. i count Zombies as surreal so RE and Dead Rising are in between games for me+^_^+
anyway, to more criticism!! PSO2 has a bug that if you change your outfit (rappy suit to normal and vise versa) you can no longer do actions on screen like sit and dance until you go through a loading area, and criticism number 2, i only started on friday but i used all my AC and FUN trying to get those tickets that let you lay down on the ground and ended up with countless clothes and 2 rappy suits (my friends room is *very* well decorated), i think the scratch is broken and i would much rather buy my AC and FUN items up front when i want them for a set price rather then gamble real world currency on scratch tickets.+^_^+

Anon_Fire
Apr 30, 2012, 01:24 AM
My gripe about PSO2 is that while in full-screen, you can't change the resolution. That needs to be addressed.

dias_flac_0g
Apr 30, 2012, 01:32 AM
I pretty much like everything about the game so I will just go over the stuff I didnt like or wasn't so thrilled about.

No booty slider. Seriously they need to fix this because female chars looks silly with no ass =/

Better Anti-aliasing levels. At this point it seems like the built in AA is aax2. Also trying to force better AA through the Nvidia Control Panel doesnt work.

The lock on method is good but there;s no way to change the target. I use a 360 controller (which works great) but there was no way to switch different targets while in lock on mode.

The game also needs more polish. There's some weird graphical gliitches once in a while (nothing game breaking but still)

Also the lag in the server of course (that one is a no brainer).

Another thing, the game needs to be more optimized. I can get a solid 60fps on battlefield 3 yet this game has a TON of slowdown in the lobbies. This gamae's graphics are no where near BF3 graphics so I dont know why it gets all "choppy" and full of slowdown in the lobbies.

Last but not least, I dont like how everyone looks like a cast. I think the "fleshy" characters need clothes more of the likes of PSU (yes psu) a little more casual. Also, the fact that our "units" show on our character is a good thing and a bad thing because some of these units look silly as hell. It makes our chars look ugly. This can be fixed with an option to turn them off and not have them show. That would be cool.

Other than that the game is ****ing AMAZING! Loved it :D

It's what psu should have been :)

FerrPSO
Apr 30, 2012, 01:37 AM
The lock on method is good but there;s no way to change the target. I use a 360 controller (which works great) but there was no way to switch different targets while in lock on mode.

There is, although is not set by default in controller mode, but you can set it in the options menu

Another thing, the game needs to be more optimized. I can get a solid 60fps on battlefield 3 yet this game has a TON of slowdown in the lobbies. This gamae's graphics are no where near BF3 graphics so I dont know why it gets all "choppy" and full of slowdown in the lobbies.

If you lag in lobbies and not in field then I think the problem was lag and not graphic optimization.

Itsuki
Apr 30, 2012, 01:50 AM
My gripe about PSO2 is that while in full-screen, you can't change the resolution. That needs to be addressed.

You can't change the graphics options in game in general. It has nothing to do with you being in full screen. you can change it outside of game though.

youcantcatchtheblue
Apr 30, 2012, 02:03 AM
Anyone else feels like the scenery repeats itself too much?

It's fine for a couple of run throughs, but after playing for a few days, even though the map layout is random everytime you still see the same patterns all everywhere. I'd really like to see some true random maps / procedural type stuff and or landmarks that make some areas at least stand out from each other

soulpimpwizzurd
Apr 30, 2012, 02:07 AM

It's fine for a couple of run throughs, but after playing for a few days, even though the map layout is random everytime you still see the same patterns all everywhere. I'd really like to see some true random maps / procedural type stuff and or landmarks that make some areas at least stand out from each other

this post makes me feel vindicated lolololol. feels good man

jmanx
Apr 30, 2012, 02:09 AM
I pretty much like everything about the game so I will just go over the stuff I didnt like or wasn't so thrilled about.

No booty slider. Seriously they need to fix this because female chars looks silly with no ass =/

YES I was thinking the same thing we need a booty slider. Cuz I like big booty bitches, we dun want no skinny bitches.

Well I think the graphical thing has something to do with how well they allow low end computers to run this game. I mean I have never lag I just notice the half fps in the lobby which I'm sure this was locked.

I have tested this game with my pentium 4 1.4ghz runs great I think the lobbies are locked at half the fps.

I really love this game right now lol made it to lvl 20 4 times already. I have finally moved on. I would like them make more use of their jumping now since it feels really nice. Like some platformer based stages and possibly a double jump later on. I don't think the game is to easy I mean the Urban mission shows me how aggressive they can make the enemies because those enemies are very aggressive and this is only normal makes me wonder how the other difficulty is going to be.

@youcantcatchtheblue - yea that it does it could use some unique things rather than variations of boulders though the city stage is done very nicely so Ima just assume this is just a close beta thing that is definitely going to be changed later on

AnnabellaRenee87
Apr 30, 2012, 02:13 AM
You can't change the graphics options in game in general. It has nothing to do with you being in full screen. you can change it outside of game though.

Even though I set the resolution to 1600x1200 in the options it would force it to go at the full resolution that my monitor supported 1920x1440 (I still use CRTs). No matter what I did I was not able to force it to run at 1600x1200, I could in windowed mode but full screen, what ever the monitor supports it will run it there.

My only real gripe with the game was why the hell do I have to unlock the caves, in a MMORPG I want to be the character I made and do the things I want to do. Why should I have to care abut NPCs? I understand it moves the story but why not just do like a hunters guild like system where they can post a board of quest that I select from. Why do I have to run all over the lobby/store?

Beyond that? I would like to change outfits on my character but the store doesn't sell them in the colors I like. (I play a Female Newman Force) This part is really splitting hairs here.

After that I would say I like the game, Its fun, keeps my attention, and doesn't put me to sleep like PSU and feels full of PSO goodness. The graphics are nice looking, not the best in the world but they are pretty good. My Steam screenshots are full of all the eye candy I ran in to. The music goes from calm to ZOMG a monster, which gives it a little atmosphere. I just love it.

Now Sega, announce the open beta so I can get back in to the game. Good night everyone.

kdrakari
Apr 30, 2012, 02:16 AM
Why would you want to run fullscreen at anything other than your monitor's resolution?

Itsuki
Apr 30, 2012, 02:21 AM
Even though I set the resolution to 1600x1200 in the options it would force it to go at the full resolution that my monitor supported 1920x1440 (I still use CRTs). No matter what I did I was not able to force it to run at 1600x1200, I could in windowed mode but full screen, what ever the monitor supports it will run it there.
I'm unsure about this. I didn't change it in beta at all. But, in alpha I changed resolution a few times and it stuck fine. I doubt the removal of this is intentional.

My only real gripe with the game was why the hell do I have to unlock the caves, in a MMORPG I want to be the character I made and do the things I want to do. Why should I have to care abut NPCs? I understand it moves the story but why not just do like a hunters guild like system where they can post a board of quest that I select from. Why do I have to run all over the lobby/store?
In many MMOs you have to progress the story in order to unlock new areas. I don't think this is anything new or unique to PSO2. I'm unsure I really understand people's gripes with it though. Because it involves like 30 minutes of runs you'd probably do anyways in order to unlock them. Assuming you realize you're supposed to do it. It may matter later on, when there are more areas available. This is actually a change from the Alpha. In the alpha, new areas unlocked as you beat old areas. The problem was, there were some areas people just couldn't beat (which actually all got removed, thank god).

Beyond that? I would like to change outfits on my character but the store doesn't sell them in the colors I like. (I play a Female Newman Force) This part is really splitting hairs here.
You can purchase them from other people. The starting outfits shouldn't be too horribly priced, even at final release (I hope). Also, during the beta, you could turn in like 10 AC shop outfits to get a color changing certificate, which would give you a palette to change the color of outfits to whatever the hell you want. This would probably be the expensive route though.

Why would you want to run fullscreen at anything other than your monitor's resolution?
This could be due to the graphical performance of your computer. You will likely get a better frame rate at a lower resolution.

PsychoUprising
Apr 30, 2012, 02:41 AM

Better Anti-aliasing levels. At this point it seems like the built in AA is aax2. Also trying to force better AA through the Nvidia Control Panel doesnt work.

The game also needs more polish. There's some weird graphical gliitches once in a while (nothing game breaking but still)

Last but not least, I dont like how everyone looks like a cast. I think the "fleshy" characters need clothes more of the likes of PSU (yes psu) a little more casual. Also, the fact that our "units" show on our character is a good thing and a bad thing because some of these units look silly as hell. It makes our chars look ugly. This can be fixed with an option to turn them off and not have them show. That would be cool.

Other than that the game is ****ing AMAZING! Loved it :D

It's what psu should have been :)

The option to hide Units was actually included, if you had the translation patch it was called "Stealth Item" but yeah i totally agree with everything you said there.

Also, Variety. Each class gets 2 to 3 types of weapons, which kinda gets boring quick, though i do like the amount of PA's that was pretty cool.

Demon-
Apr 30, 2012, 02:46 AM
Also, the fact that our "units" show on our character is a good thing and a bad thing because some of these units look silly as hell. It makes our chars look ugly. This can be fixed with an option to turn them off and not have them show. That would be cool.
There is an option already to unshow your units. In the Item screen click on the unit and it's the 3rd one down.

Enforcer MKV
Apr 30, 2012, 02:47 AM
The option to hide Units was actually included, if you had the translation patch it was called "Stealth Item" but yeah i totally agree with everything you said there.

Also, Variety. Each class gets 2 to 3 types of weapons, which kinda gets boring quick, though i do like the amount of PA's that was pretty cool.

One word: Beta.

People have already dissected the client and found references to more weapon types, etc, etc. Don't worry, they're actually supposed to be showing off more weapon types on the third; we won't have to wait long to learn more.

PsychoUprising
Apr 30, 2012, 03:33 AM
One word: Beta.

People have already dissected the client and found references to more weapon types, etc, etc. Don't worry, they're actually supposed to be showing off more weapon types on the third; we won't have to wait long to learn more.

Yeah i saw that in a few places, hopefully it's something cool. Praying Double sabers make a return from PSU for hunters. I'd like to see Rangers get Twin pistols back.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 30, 2012, 03:53 AM
At least those are options now, whereas in PSO your only option was to restart your entire character if you messed up your build.
... Wat? Build? PSO? What are you talking about? The only "build" you had in PSO was your mag. And you could have as many mags as you want.

Unless you're talking about use of the mind/pow/etc. materials? But ehh, I never put a whole lot of thought into what mats I used outside of obvious class/race considerations and never had any issues. Only min/maxers would care enough, and they plan their character carefully from the start so messing up isn't really a concern for them.
The problem is that making a new character costs money too, so you haveto pay money if you mess up somehow or change your mind.Pretty sure that's the idea. They have to have things that people are going to want to use that cost AC. They intend to make money. I think it's a fair thing to attach a price to.

I really can't see any cause for complaining about any of the cash shop stuff until we know pricing.
I guess another problem I have is that ability transferring for weapons/armor feels a bit too restrictive. Maybe it's actually balanced for higher level stuff where you get better abilities, but it feels like too much effort to try and get more than one decent ability on an item (assuming it started with one or none). Not to mention the further restrictions in place surrounding the soul abilities.
Another one where I'm pretty sure that's the idea. It's not supposed to be easy or cheap to make a weapon with 5 awesome special abilities attached to it. And I'd rather it stayed that way; I don't want everyone and their mother to be running around with "perfect" weapons after the first week.

It's neither PSO nor PSU. Really, I'm as big a PSO fan as anyone, and I roll my eyes when Rock Eastwood comes in trolling hard about how PSO apparently sucks in hindsight and blah blah. But, despite the PSO in PSO2, it's not a direct sequel and Sakai has made it clear that he's not making a PSO HD remix (as awesome as that would be). Either accept it and take this game for what it is, or move on.
We already have single saber. It's called gunslash. A separate saber with no gun mode would be redundant. And shield? What? Huh?
... WTF does job changing have to do with the races? You seem to want locked race/gender/class combos like PSO. Not gonna happen. I do agree race/gender combos, or at least races, should have some additional differentiation, such as unique animations for certain weapons, or possibly a separate skill tree unique to each race.

....Bosses should drop at minimum 8 items at all times. At least four should always be items.
I disagree. I don't think boss rushing should be rewarded even more. Bosses should not be automatic rare item dispensers.
-An option for Tekked weapons to be neutral instead of forcing a choice of element would be nice.
What for? There's no advantage to a weapon that has no element. You're never penalized for using a certain element, you're only rewarded with additional damage to enemies weak to that element. Also, later if you have another weapon of the same name that you prefer to use for whatever reason, you can consume it to boost the other weapon's element.
PSO's story was, to put it simply, definitely hit and miss. The miss? The given story was very basic. The hit? It completely simulated the atmosphere. You worked as a hunter. You were given your job and you were given instructions to keep things hush. And you finished your job with a tragic discovery.
Agree. PSO's story gets a lot of flak for being pretty simplistic and almost non-present, and to be fair, it's really understandable. But it nailed the atmosphere.
It wasn't the gameplay (let's face it, it's dated), it was the story.
Disagree. While, like I said, it nailed the atmosphere, I didn't keep coming back just for that. The combat mechanics were solid and I enjoyed it, and I don't get how it's "dated". The slower pace, lack of a jumping mechanic, 3-hit-combo system... those were deliberate choices, not some sort of technological limitation. You're free to not like it (or just prefer the faster pace of PSO2's combat), but people really need to pretending that fast-paced combat reflects some kind of technological progress. It doesn't.
Also, where's my guild card system and racial differences in stats? I would have thought that those sorts of things would be incredibly beneficial to Sega considering it would attract more players to pay for new characters.
Racial stat differentiation is in. It's just so trivial currently that it's almost meaningless, as far as I can tell. Dunno what you're talking about with the "guild card system".

-Needs REAL rifles, not mechgun that looks like a rifle.
Don't hung up on terminology. PSO2 rifles != PSO rifles, and that's fine. Also, dual mechguns are in for the final game.
-Non-force classes should still be able to use techniques, if only a limited number.
Why?
-Targeted healing spell in addition to the current area healing.
That'd either be terribly ineffective due to difficulty targeting a player in the chaos of battle, or too effective and FOs would inevitably be subjugated to heal-bot status. Either way, I'd rather they just left it alone. Resta will assuredly get a big range boost as you get higher levels of it anyway, which will make it easier to heal in the harder difficulties where it'll really matter.
-More than just 1 character for free. At least count separately for each server.
Most people aren't going to even use more than 1 char, since you can swap classes at will. For those who prefer to have different chars for whatever reason (such as myself), I feel it's an appropriate place for SEGA to make a little money.
-More complex bosses, though that may just be because I tried leveling every class equally so never saw anything past the caterdrag'n.
Complex how?

YES. I'm just not feeling the randomization, really. Despite that the layout obviously isn't the same, it still feels the same every time.
I'd really like to see some true random maps / procedural type stuff and or landmarks that make some areas at least stand out from each other
Agree.

Agree. The graphics could use some more polish. Also, trees are ugly.
The lag has actually been almost non-existent during the latter part of the beta. There are some hiccups here and there, but I'm sure they're still working on it. Also, if you're in the US or Europe, there's always going to be a degree of latency playing on servers located in Japan.
Lobby lag really has nothing to do with graphics optimization. Also, don't compare apples and oranges by bringing up comparisons with games like BF3 or Crysis.
Last but not least, I dont like how everyone looks like a cast. I think the "fleshy" characters need clothes more of the likes of PSU (yes psu) a little more casual.
Heavily disagree. I much prefer the aesthetic of the clothing currently (asides from the overuse of oddly placed groin/butt-crack/underboob cutouts), and don't want any hoodies and surfer shorts seeping in. Although, Alfin's outfit is both stupid and ugly.
Also, the fact that our "units" show on our character is a good thing and a bad thing because some of these units look silly as hell. It makes our chars look ugly. This can be fixed with an option to turn them off and not have them show. That would be cool.
Option already exists. Press start/escape, first menu, 2nd option (I think) "Custom", go to your units, choose "stealth". It is difficult to find without someone telling you about it, though.

Although, units should stay hidden in cutscenes, which they currently don't.
Yeah i saw that in a few places, hopefully it's something cool. Praying Double sabers make a return from PSU for hunters. I'd like to see Rangers get Twin pistols back.
Double sabers are in, along with twin daggers (HELLS YEAH) and dual mechguns. I feel like there were others, but I can't recall at the moment...

NoiseHERO
Apr 30, 2012, 04:12 AM
It's neither PSO nor PSU. Really, I'm as big a PSO fan as anyone, and I roll my eyes when Rock Eastwood comes in trolling hard about how PSO apparently sucks in hindsight and blah blah. But, despite the PSO in PSO2, it's not a direct sequel and Sakai has made it clear that he's not making a PSO HD remix (as awesome as that would be). Either accept it and take this game for what it is, or move on.

Whoa, yo, no.

I never said PSO sucked.

I'm just sick of people saying it's better than everything and that it's so perfect compared to the other Phantasy Star games, and then making it blatantly obvious that PSO is only the "best" because of the tiniest reasons that only a crazy fanboy could think up!

If anything, picking out the best iteration of PS so far and saying "it's not PSO enough" sounds more like "trolling" to me.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 30, 2012, 04:31 AM
I'm just sick of people saying it's better than everything and that it's so perfect compared to the other Phantasy Star games, and then making it blatantly obvious that PSO is only the "best" because of the tiniest reasons that only a crazy fanboy could think up!
Ugh, there's that word. "Fanboy".
Fanboy [...] Most commonly used to delegitimize contrary opinions in gaming forums.
Only response I can really think of to any statement where that word is brought up.

Anyway, fair enough. You didn't say PSO sucks. But...
If anything, picking out the best iteration of PS so far and saying "it's not PSO enough" sounds more like "trolling" to me.
Considering the highly personal and subjective nature of what game is "better", I can't agree with attacking those who hold PSO in high esteem and, understandably, compare and contrast it to other entries in the franchise. Phantasy Star Online is, after all, the most famous and recognizable name in the franchise. And kind of started off the Phantasy Star franchise in terms of online gaming.

If SEGA didn't want any comparisons between PSO and PSO2, they probably really shouldn't have named it PSO2. Steering clear of the Phantasy Star franchise in general would have been an even better idea.

However, I do agree in the sense that people really do have to move on and at least try to look at PSO2 for what it is and stop expecting a PSO HD remix.

Besides, I roll my eyes at your boringness.
I know I know. I wish I was all "kooky" and interesting like you. Oh woe is me, etc. etc.

Eggobandit
Apr 30, 2012, 04:36 AM
Whoa, yo, no.

I never said PSO sucked.

people are stupid when it comes to PSO. While i can agree with many things they put up, the reason people put them up is usually enough to make me not want to take sides with them.

soulpimpwizzurd
Apr 30, 2012, 04:39 AM
I know I know. I wish I was all "kooky" and interesting like you. Oh woe is me, etc. etc.

YOU CAN'T WIN AGAINST ANIKI!

RIGHT BROMAYN-CUZ-DAS-PROBABLY-GOOD(as in fine or ok since you are supposed to ask was cuzins wuz gud)-RIGHT-NOW-ANIKI?

NoiseHERO
Apr 30, 2012, 04:50 AM
Ugh, there's that word. "Fanboy".
Only response I can really think of to any statement where that word is brought up.

Anyway, fair enough. You didn't say PSO sucks. But...
Considering the highly personal and subjective nature of what game is "better", I can't agree with attacking those who hold PSO in high esteem and, understandably, compare and contrast it to other entries in the franchise. Phantasy Star Online is, after all, the most famous and recognizable name in the franchise. And kind of started off the Phantasy Star franchise in terms of online gaming.

If SEGA didn't want any comparisons between PSO and PSO2, they probably really shouldn't have named it PSO2. Steering clear of the Phantasy Star franchise in general would have been an even better idea.

However, I do agree in the sense that people really do have to move on and at least try to look at PSO2 for what it is and stop expecting a PSO HD remix.

I'm pretty sure fanboy is used in such a way because most of the time it's pretty accurate ESPECIALLY when, like eggobandit says, most of the things supporting the "PSO is the best game ever" arguments consist of overly specific nitpicking. Like I said I'm not trying to pin PSO purism on clessy, but complaining about the game not having a certain mission(when you just have to unlock it) then turning that into a complaint about HOW(It's not that hard) then into a complaint about the battle system(What now?? @_@)

Yeeeaaahhh...

And hey I'm not SEGA, regardless of the name they wanted another fresh start, but calling it PSO2 was probably just to get people interested. Like how Sonic generations drew everyone in with classic Sonic, but everyone stayed for the polished modern Sonic gameplay.

Also I edited out that last part of my post, assuming it would strike up drama or a series of smart ass replies and snide remarks. But seeing as you saw that part I can only assume you took forever to type this up or something, or you saw it in general and decided to bring it back in, thinking it was a clever idea. :S

Hayde
Apr 30, 2012, 04:55 AM
Well, I like to think that many people remember PSO better than what it was. I'm not going to link anything here (not sure if it matters since it's "abandonware" now) but go ahead and grab the PSOBB Client and fire up the game on one of the many private servers available.

I did a few weeks ago before the launch of this closed beta and while there *were* fond memories to be had...it's clearly evident that I remembered the game being far better than it was. I suspect this will hold truth for some others (note: I didn't not say "everyone" or "most") as well. We always like to treasure the best parts about our experience and leave out the rest.

It's kind of like how I was one of those guys who thought "FF7 is the best RPG ever!" Fast forward a decade later on the PSN, and yeah....good game? Sure--great game? Possibly, arguable. I wouldn't say it is the best RPG anymore by a stretch of imagine; though I'll still give it credit where it should be due: it's still MUCH better than a lot of the games that SE is pumping out these days.

soulpimpwizzurd
Apr 30, 2012, 05:00 AM
Well, I like to think that many people remember PSO better than what it was. I'm not going to link anything here (not sure if it matters since it's "abandonware" now) but go ahead and grab the PSOBB Client and fire up the game on one of the many private servers available.

nostalgia is strong.

but damn it feels gud when what you nostalgia over is actually really as good as you think it is.

like playing mario kart 64. another game that remains as good as i remember it though is rakion lol. why did softnyx ruin that game

~Inu~
Apr 30, 2012, 10:48 AM
This probably sounds really, really stupid but I wish we could have obtained more then 20 SP in just the closed beta.
We were barely able to test out the majority of the skills in the different trees and even though some of them were over-powered or under-powered beyond belief some of us never really got to see some of the bottom tier talents or max out some of the other skills.

It would have been really nice to see how some of those talents work maxed out before the beta ended, because some of them could have been broken... How could we know?
And perhaps they will be largely changed after the beta so it doesn't even matter.
I expect someone to quote me and say "It would have been too powerful" or something so I guess it's a silly rant.

Enforcer MKV
Apr 30, 2012, 11:03 AM
This probably sounds really, really stupid but I wish we could have obtained more then 20 SP in just the closed beta.
We were barely able to test out the majority of the skills in the different trees and even though some of them were over-powered or under-powered beyond belief some of us never really got to see some of the bottom tier talents or max out some of the other skills.

It would have been really nice to see how some of those talents work maxed out before the beta ended, because some of them could have been broken... How could we know?
And perhaps they will be largely changed after the beta so it doesn't even matter.
I expect someone to quote me and say "It would have been too powerful" or something so I guess it's a silly rant.

Actually, I can fully agree with this. It would have been nice to test out more of the skill tree skills, because just as you said: It's possible that they're broken. Maybe we'll get that chance when the OBT rolls around.

Also: Can we just drop the damned going back and forth about PSO > PSO2? This is supposed to be a 'constructive criticism' thread. We don't need it being derailed.

~Inu~
Apr 30, 2012, 11:11 AM
Man, I hope so.
I had 4 hunter trees and 3 force trees on my Caseal.
I really wanted to see how powerful Fury Stance was with the Increased Fury Critical talent, plus I never really got to play around with Warcry either - I would have been able to get that, though so that was just laziness on my part. The Hunter tree did feel lacking in many areas but it seemed like it would have functioned so much better with more SP (Forces, too)

eharima
Apr 30, 2012, 11:29 AM
things that needed to change...
>BGM quest clear then warping back to campship should FADEOUT.
>be able to use CONSUMABLE ITEMS on the move, moons, mates, ect (sh!t was just annoying)
>enemys load faster? so many times i have to back track because enemy loaded behind (230~ms ping)
>slash down when jumping, not sure if this was a PA? should be standard >.>
>mag items in AC not lucky dip scratch (take my money)
>screenshot watermark ''screenshot saved'' gtfo my screenshots...
>use items in TPS mode
>use action pallet in TPS mode (xbox controller config? can be done?)
>make casts bigger, even at max they look chibi
>lock option for SYMBOL ARTS
>more interactive scenery (like trees and walls)
>account friends should be global, not ship
>eyes should be closer together in CC option

mfw idk how to use the feedback form >.>

Clessy
Apr 30, 2012, 11:32 AM
They even TOLD us this isn't your "true sequel to PSO" but a completely new game taking reference from ALL of the past games. So far I'll also throw in, that it has the best battle system. I don't know how dodging, blocking, countering, jumping customizable combos, and weapons each having their own completely unique playstyle is... "Not better than PSO" or "Toomuch like PSU."

Back to some real CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.It's our opinion. I mean serious stfu and get real. Theres a reason people still play BB its because thats what we wanted. They could of named this PSU2 if they didnt want it to feel like PSO at all. And its not a bad game its just not PSO. All we really want is PSO again with new stages and updated graphcis. I don't get how thats to hard to understand.

Vashyron
Apr 30, 2012, 11:46 AM
Oh yeah, not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but you can only invite Alt characters because the game treats as you are friends with yourself. Thus you can invite the character you last updated the card with. (Only 1)

Also your Partner AI will only use the Mag in the first slot, no matter what you had equipped.

Another nice thing would be perhaps to allow for the AI to use more than the weapon in slot 1.

Gardios
Apr 30, 2012, 11:59 AM
I hope we get more interactive objects later on. The terminals in the emergency quest were neat, but there's so much more that can be done with stuff like this, especially for boss fights.

PsychoUprising
Apr 30, 2012, 12:00 PM
Yeah, the thing that annoyed me was using Healers. I'd get killed more times by a Boss cause my character has to stop to drink a Dimate, c'mon he can float in the air and maintain perfect aim, he can drink something while running.

Peejay
Apr 30, 2012, 12:00 PM
Oh yeah, not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but you can only invite Alt characters because the game treats as you are friends with yourself. Thus you can invite the character you last updated the card with. (Only 1)

Also your Partner AI will only use the Mag in the first slot, no matter what you had equipped.

Another nice thing would be perhaps to allow for the AI to use more than the weapon in slot 1.

That would only be useful if they fixed the Ranger AI bugs with Rodeo Drive and Sneak Shooter. I don't want to see my bot jamming itself into a wall either way.

Vashyron
Apr 30, 2012, 12:02 PM
That would only be useful if they fixed the Ranger AI bugs with Rodeo Drive and Sneak Shooter. I don't want to see my bot jamming itself into a wall either way.

Oh right forgot about that, yeah if multiple weapons were to be done definitely fix that beforehand.

NoiseHERO
Apr 30, 2012, 04:37 PM
It's our opinion. I mean serious stfu and get real. Theres a reason people still play BB its because thats blah blah blah blah waaahhh...

And for everything else!

There's the nostalgia critic!

This joke only has to make as much sense as your reasoning for your... "opinion" because I mean serious stfu and get real.

buri-chan
Apr 30, 2012, 04:41 PM
- Healing with Mates is too slow. By the time the animation plays, more often than not I've been attacked again and need another.

- The chance of grinding failure is too high after +5. Why not just let us grind with no negatives? Is a whopping +30 attack really so vital it needs to be protected? And what's up with needing multiple Grinders for a single rank?

- Tell us what Ability does straight-out.

- 100 PP isn't enough for most anything. It also helped to nerf the already nerfed HUnewearl.

- Give access to magic to other classes. Even if limited, having Resta on my Hunter would reduce my Mate bill by thousands.

- The ? items are pretty useless since most of them are always lower-tier weapons than what I have, even with the special parameters.

- Sometimes in the caves, the interrupt would spawn monsters on the wrong side of the wall, leaving me to sit around and either hope it fails me, the monsters re-pop on the right side, or stop the quest.

Rath-Kun
Apr 30, 2012, 04:44 PM
It'd be nice if you were able to access your skill tree from within the mission. So you don't have to leave every time you level up just to add another skill point.

Rhypht
Apr 30, 2012, 04:53 PM
As far as having to clear enemies out before progressing, I think that they could leave standard quests the way they are and implement a direct to boss style quest.

Towards the Future, anyone?

I think that, after having faced all of the bosses in a certain area, having a TTF style quest where you bypass a majority of the main map and warp in within a few rooms of the boss would be something that would fix a lot of people's issues with the no enemy-locked barriers thing.

Then again, most people complained that TTF made it too easy to level (but in a game with a 200 level cap for you AND your mag, that wasn't so bad imo.)

Anyway, a few issues that I noticed:

-The inability to 'cycle' between enemies while using the Q key targeting system was a bit irritating. I would often find that, while fighting a group of Oodans or something, I would end up targeting destructible rocks far off in the distance, and having to untarget and retarget again, while making sure I'm directly facing an enemy, to fix it.

-This mainly has an effect on FOrce players. I noticed that, when warping from the campship to a room, or going between rooms, my weapon palette would reset itself to 1. In my case, I kept the same weapon across all three palettes, and used each one for fire, ice, and electricity spells, respectively. In the caves, when I had my palette set for ice spells, whenever I would travel to a new area, it would reset itself to 1 (fire spells). This got quite frustrating when going to a boss fight, and having your initial blast be fire when you wanted ice.

-Again, a primarily FOrce related problem. When you charge up a technique, your PP bar reduces before you actually cast the spell. If you are holding a spell, waiting for the right moment to release it, and suddenly get hit, you lose that PP without casting the spell at all. I can somewhat understand this part, but the other irritating part is when you accidentally dash. Dashing also causes you to lose the PP without casting the spell, something that I really didn't care for. I somewhat understand why they implemented it (if it was, in fact, on purpose) but it still got annoying, especially because half of the time, I did the dash by accident because there is no way to disable the double tap=dash feature.

Itsuki
Apr 30, 2012, 05:03 PM
-The inability to 'cycle' between enemies while using the Q key targeting system was a bit irritating. I would often find that, while fighting a group of Oodans or something, I would end up targeting destructible rocks far off in the distance, and having to untarget and retarget again, while making sure I'm directly facing an enemy, to fix it.
There were hotkeys you could set for that. Though I think they were set to something by default (I was on a controller, and they weren't set by default on a controller, but you could set them).

-This mainly has an effect on FOrce players. I noticed that, when warping from the campship to a room, or going between rooms, my weapon palette would reset itself to 1. In my case, I kept the same weapon across all three palettes, and used each one for fire, ice, and electricity spells, respectively. In the caves, when I had my palette set for ice spells, whenever I would travel to a new area, it would reset itself to 1 (fire spells). This got quite frustrating when going to a boss fight, and having your initial blast be fire when you wanted ice.
I played force, and this never happened to me. Not even once. I almost always used weapons in slots 2 or 4, and never had it switch to 1.

dias_flac_0g
Apr 30, 2012, 06:31 PM
Ok so you guys were right about the "units" on your armor. There is indeed an option to turn them off which is awesome nice :)

One question though...Does the stealth go for EVERYONE or is it for just ME alone and everyone can still see my char with the goofy gear on her? If that's the case then it's still a fail lol.

Clessy
Apr 30, 2012, 06:37 PM
I'm pretty sure fanboy is used in such a way because most of the time it's pretty accurate ESPECIALLY when, like eggobandit says, most of the things supporting the "PSO is the best game ever" arguments consist of overly specific nitpicking. Like I said I'm not trying to pin PSO purism on clessy, but complaining about the game not having a certain mission(when you just have to unlock it) then turning that into a complaint about HOW(It's not that hard) then into a complaint about the battle system(What now?? @_@)

You act like im complaining because its doesnt have a mission but, I feel like you're totally missing the point.

Its the flow of the game and how it plays.

PSO you beat forest then go to caves then to mines then to ruins. All in a row nothing to unlock no bs. You play it as a complete game and normally running all 4 stages in a row is about a 5 hours experience.

PSO2 isnt like that at all.

You run forest, you run forest again, you run forest 2 more times. And grants you eventually do unlock the open free mission.

Its just creating something I dont enjoy. I could care less about the fetch quest or the story. PSU tried a story mode and it was awful.

I don't want pso games to conform to a more standard mmo rpg style and become quest fetch galore. I'd play those if I wanted that.

Are you understanding or are you that dense you dont get it?

I'd also love to see the return of a 4 player split screen but, that makes absolutely no sense on.

Rhypht
Apr 30, 2012, 07:28 PM
There were hotkeys you could set for that. Though I think they were set to something by default (I was on a controller, and they weren't set by default on a controller, but you could set them).

I played force, and this never happened to me. Not even once. I almost always used weapons in slots 2 or 4, and never had it switch to 1.

Hm, didn't see the hotkey settings. I even looked through all of the keysets in the options, and didn't see anything. I'll check for them in the OB, thanks :)

As far as the weapon slot thing, it must have been a glitch, because it happened to me every time, without fail, on every character I had.

NoiseHERO
Apr 30, 2012, 07:59 PM
You act like im complaining because its doesnt have a mission but, I feel like you're totally missing the point.

Its the flow of the game and how it plays.

PSO you beat forest then go to caves then to mines then to ruins. All in a row nothing to unlock no bs. You play it as a complete game and normally running all 4 stages in a row is about a 5 hours experience.

PSO2 isnt like that at all.

You run forest, you run forest again, you run forest 2 more times. And grants you eventually do unlock the open free mission.

Its just creating something I dont enjoy. I could care less about the fetch quest or the story. PSU tried a story mode and it was awful.

I don't want pso games to conform to a more standard mmo rpg style and become quest fetch galore. I'd play those if I wanted that.

Are you understanding or are you that dense you dont get it?

I'd also love to see the return of a 4 player split screen but, that makes absolutely no sense on.

I see what you're talking about, the whole run-on thing but I still don't see it as that big of a deal and I think PSO2's randomly generated fields more than make up for it, so it's like you're playing an even bigger deeper adventure even if you have to go back to the camp ship a couple of times.

ESPECIALLY when compared to PSO episode 1's stages which in my opinion, I found to be really annoying to look at once you get past this nice forest... then you're in this ugly cave...

And this is what I'm thinking in PSO's PRIME. Plus by the time of PSO ep 2, you're basically doing the same thing, running back and forth between different missions and teleporters for different areas. And PSO ep2 was the only part of PSO that truly drew me in. I hated Episode 1, dunno why that's the overrated portion. e_e

Anyway yeah, let's just turn this into a PSO vs PSO2 thread.

~Inu~
Apr 30, 2012, 09:39 PM
TTF was freakishly fast to level in PSO, but with the new game mechanics I don't think it would function the same way.
I know I never really got too much EXP/Drops in the way of bossing, but rather from those super extended Cross Bursts in Urban/Cave/Forest/Etc.
People were leveling up like mad during those, and I found several rares in bursts.