PDA

View Full Version : If you plan on participating in the open beta

Mike
Apr 30, 2012, 07:38 AM
Don't uninstall your closed beta client because you'll be able to use it in the next test.

Vashyron
Apr 30, 2012, 07:46 AM
Oh nice news.

I kinda expected this, the game did have the default install folder as "PHANTASYSTARONLINE2" with no remark to Beta unlike the Alpha ones. (So guessing it goes into release.)

FerrPSO
Apr 30, 2012, 07:46 AM
Next will be Open Beta or another Closed one?

Weird is using the same client, Open Betas tend to have almost or all the content of the final version, but we know this Beta version we have doesnt have everything.

Mag-X
Apr 30, 2012, 07:49 AM

Weird is using the same client, Open Betas tend to have almost or all the content of the final version, but we know this Beta version we have doesnt have everything.

No reason they can't deliver all that stuff in a huge update.

Vashyron
Apr 30, 2012, 07:49 AM

Open Beta and no even the Closed Beta client has a ton of "stuff" that wasn't even used in this test.

FerrPSO
Apr 30, 2012, 07:50 AM
No reason they can't deliver all that stuff in a huge update.

Yeah, You are right, I was still in "PSU mentality".

Open Beta and no even the Closed Beta client has a ton of "stuff."

Well, wednesday they are oging to announce more content, including new fields.

edit: oh, didnt catch your edit. Yeah I dont know what was hidden in the beta client.

CelestialBlade
Apr 30, 2012, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the heads-up Mike, makes sense that they'd simply patch the existing client. I'm hoping we can continue to import character creation data, I spent too many hours on Cocona and Chelsea :lol:

Rauten
Apr 30, 2012, 09:20 AM
Oohh, sexy. Thanks.

Demon-
Apr 30, 2012, 09:48 AM
Ahah! I knew it!

Rhypht
Apr 30, 2012, 10:14 AM
Do you think that they will also use Wednesday to reveal when the open beta will go live?

xBladeM6x
Apr 30, 2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the heads-up Mike, makes sense that they'd simply patch the existing client. I'm hoping we can continue to import character creation data, I spent too many hours on Cocona and Chelsea :lol:
Yeah, I'm hoping for this too. :D

bradsta6508
Apr 30, 2012, 10:17 AM
Do you think that they will also use Wednesday to reveal when the open beta will go live?
Hopefully!

kazuuya
Apr 30, 2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the information Mike, this really is some good news.
Also I hope too that Sakai will reveal the open beta date on Wednesday/Thursday. (I cannot wait to see the new stages and items too!)

Randomness
Apr 30, 2012, 10:26 AM
Wild long shot hope: English mode added in OB patch.

Rath-Kun
Apr 30, 2012, 10:29 AM
Gonna save a lot of people a lot of time by not releasing another client, good to know.

DemonMike
Apr 30, 2012, 10:33 AM
There's a website that's already found data for the next 2 fields and a lot of unused monsters in the closed beta files so I've already kind of ruined the surprise for myself heh.

So if most of the data is already there, the transition to Open Beta wont be too long!

Mag-X
Apr 30, 2012, 10:37 AM
Gonna save a lot of people a lot of time by not releasing another client, good to know.

Hopefully they fix the updater. My step-brother wasn't able to play the closed beta because the updater would never finish updating. His internet is so slow, it would time out before it finished downloading anything, and then he would have to start over again.

NoiseHERO
Apr 30, 2012, 10:40 AM
What's with all the "I knew it!" reactions? I think I'm more used to having to download a new client for OBTs.

Yet just the other day I was able to trick people by saying if they get to lvl 20 on all 3 classes they would "secure a spot" in OBT. D:

Shinji Kazuya
Apr 30, 2012, 10:40 AM
Wild long shot hope: English mode added in OB patch.

Nnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggg...... I wish :<

DemonMike
Apr 30, 2012, 10:48 AM
I'm surprised they aren't sourcing the community for the translations for the next phase. I would definitely contribute to the effort.

alphaxaon
Apr 30, 2012, 11:06 AM
Ooh that would help a lot! Wonder how long it will take to patch to the open beta though?

soulpimpwizzurd
Apr 30, 2012, 11:24 AM
What's with all the "I knew it!" reactions? I think I'm more used to having to download a new client for OBTs.

Yet just the other day I was able to trick people by saying if they get to lvl 20 on all 3 classes they would "secure a spot" in OBT. D:

LOL ARE YOU SERIOUS SMH MAYN SMH

PsychoUprising
Apr 30, 2012, 12:34 PM
I'm surprised they aren't sourcing the community for the translations for the next phase. I would definitely contribute to the effort.

I was thinking about this not to long ago, if Fans with some/alot of knowledge can produce translations that quickly, then why is it so hard for a big company like sega to fully translate the game, i mean with the patch that went out everything but the items, and maybe 1 or 2 menus , and some off text wasn't translated, and i believe that project was done by 3 or 4 people?

Ark22
Apr 30, 2012, 12:47 PM
Was just about to uninstall it but then I thought...HEY, I am pretty sure they could just update the client through the closed beta client.

But thanks for the reassurance.

Gardios
Apr 30, 2012, 12:49 PM
I was thinking about this not to long ago, if Fans with some/alot of knowledge can produce translations that quickly, then why is it so hard for a big company like sega to fully translate the game, i mean with the patch that went out everything but the items, and maybe 1 or 2 menus , and some off text wasn't translated, and i believe that project was done by 3 or 4 people?

There's no reason for SEGA to make that extra effort, now is there? The ones that would make use of it (i.e. us) are not exactly their target audience and we're playing the game regardless, aren't we?

Mag-X
Apr 30, 2012, 01:08 PM

It's not just the text. They have to translate and record the voice acting too. Why would they start on all of this before the game is even finished?

DemonMike
Apr 30, 2012, 01:22 PM
It's not just the text. They have to translate and record the voice acting too. Why would they start on all of this before the game is even finished?

Because it's good business sense, why wouldn't they make a start? It's not like they don't have access to the information, it's the same company!

legoman4eva
Apr 30, 2012, 01:23 PM
I hope they do a legit english version, otherwise i am legitimately considering learning japanese.

But... if sega was smart they'd just make an english version so i would spend more time in pso2 (spending money) then studying japanese ;)

Para
Apr 30, 2012, 01:24 PM
I dont mind the voice acting as long as I get english subtitles. I prefer characters in their original voice.

Fhin
Apr 30, 2012, 01:38 PM
Is everyone able to try it out or just those you already were in the closed beta?

xBladeM6x
Apr 30, 2012, 02:28 PM
Is everyone able to try it out or just those you already were in the closed beta?
Everyone is allowed to participate in the Open Beta. :-P

goldwing
Apr 30, 2012, 02:30 PM
well this saves us a lot of trouble wootness

HandOfThornz
Apr 30, 2012, 02:49 PM

If they release to the western world they would have multi languages to translate German, Italian, Spanish, French, English, etc...
Then they would have UI, advisors, client orders, story mission, etc to translate for each language. Also setting up a secure cash shop option.

Voice actors, all the voices would need translated scripts and actors hired (legal bits,etc..) Might be easier and cheaper to display translated text with Japanese voices

Also, if the servers are truely global, i've noticed there is a language selection option in a script of PSO2. Even if the game is released to start with as Japanese only content, they could easily add translated content and enable a language option to the UI later on. ;)

BahnKnakyu
Apr 30, 2012, 03:33 PM

Voice acting doesn't have to be re-recorded. Subs are sufficient since almost all voices in this game are shown in text bubbles anyway.

Fhin
Apr 30, 2012, 03:35 PM
Everyone is allowed to participate in the Open Beta. :-P

Thought so but it's still sega so everything can happen. ^^;

Rath-Kun
Apr 30, 2012, 04:21 PM
Really curious who the voice actors would be if we get it in North America..

Shirai
Apr 30, 2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the info! Today I was about to uninstall it, would've felt bad if I did then saw this post...
.-.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 30, 2012, 05:05 PM
Thought so but it's still sega so everything can happen. ^^;
... Are you seriously suggesting that SEGA would make an open beta... not open? I don't get people sometimes.

On a different topic: crowd-sourcing the localization is a terrible idea, and unnecessary since I'm quite sure SEGA has the budget to hire professionals. Also, while a lot of those around here would probably be quite content to have the Japanese voices with English subtitles/text-bubbles, you have to consider that a lot of the general game-playing public would probably be put off by it. They aren't just going to be selling the game to weaboos, y'know.

Hax3120
Apr 30, 2012, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the info, i was about to un-install it :P

Macman
Apr 30, 2012, 05:22 PM
Really curious who the voice actors would be if we get it in North America..Steve Blum, Steve Blum, and some annoying woman playing as Afin.

Rath-Kun
Apr 30, 2012, 05:35 PM
That'd be sex if Steve Jay made a return voice acting for PSO2.

Kraiseson
Apr 30, 2012, 05:35 PM
I wouldnt mind SUBS....

Crysteon
Apr 30, 2012, 05:48 PM
Steve Blum, Steve Blum, and some annoying woman playing as Afin.

Omg...I have a bad feeling that Johnny Yong Bosch might voice Afin if PSO2 ever gets localized *shrugs* (the japanese VA of Afin also voiced Emil from Tales of Symphonia 2 iirc...and well...the black ranger VA'd him in NA)

I wouldnt be surprised that Echo might be voiced by Laura Bailey...she has that....weird essence Bailey may be able to capture, lol.

NoiseHERO
Apr 30, 2012, 06:09 PM
Why is everyone hating on Afin... D:
He's always so nice to you and bringing you juice, I like juice-I mean monomates. D:

And Johnny Young bosch was cool... till his voice started being EEEVVVEEERRRRYYYYWWHHEEEERRRREEEE!!!!

But hey, gotta get paid.

Zeota
Apr 30, 2012, 06:11 PM
I wouldnt be surprised that Echo might be voiced by Laura Bailey...she has that....weird essence Bailey may be able to capture, lol.

Yup... yup... yup yup yup. Yup yup yup yup yup! Like Chun Li!

Who would do someone like Shion then, I wonder?

Anon_Fire
Apr 30, 2012, 06:29 PM
Yup... yup... yup yup yup. Yup yup yup yup yup! Like Chun Li!

Who would do someone like Shion then, I wonder?

Maybe..... Mary Elizabeth McGlynn

Halcyote
Apr 30, 2012, 08:00 PM
i don't know why people are expecting such a "big-name" (in the sense of anime/videogames) voice talent budget from sega for phantasy star of all games if they ever plan to localize it.

chances are they'll just hire some cheap talent like they did for psu for certain cutscenes/events and then leave everything else text-only.

NoiseHERO
Apr 30, 2012, 08:04 PM
i don't know why people are expecting such a "big-name" (in the sense of anime/videogames) voice talent budget from sega for phantasy star of all games if they ever plan to localize it.

chances are they'll just hire some cheap talent like they did for psu for certain cutscenes/events and then leave everything else text-only.

I hate those... "there was voice work during this cutscene, but let's just leave it as text work for the localization.

Unless.. you know the voice acting is bad, but in both scenario's would rather they just Street Fighter it and leave the Japanese VA work.

moorebounce
Apr 30, 2012, 08:16 PM
I plan on being in it.

I just hope they give us the ability to switch to translated menus and subtitles this time.

Dabian
Apr 30, 2012, 08:33 PM
I'd much rather go with subtitled with the original Japanese dub.

OR

Do what House of the Dead Overkill did. Make it so bad it was good :p