PDA

View Full Version : About PSO2 storyline (Incluiding lore, environment, etc...)

Sakarisei
May 1, 2012, 07:09 AM
Yes, i know that PSO2 has got a story mode. But because i haven't got knowledge of reading japanese, i can't understand the story line of the game, making it very hard when you try to understand the storyline.

Only i could understand the title, which can make me an idea...

However... anyone can explain me about PSO2 lore?

Greetings and thanks.

CupOfCoffee
May 1, 2012, 09:26 AM
I'm also interested in this. How much basic info is known now that the closed beta's over?

LokinModar
May 1, 2012, 11:09 AM
Shion is a scientist from vector industries. She is working in a Racaseal/Hucaseal named KOS-MOS. The darkers are the new form of the Gnosis.

Blackheart521
May 1, 2012, 11:10 AM
Shion is a scientist from vector industries. She is working in a Racaseal/Hucaseal named KOS-MOS. The darkers are the new form of the Gnosis.

This made me laugh :lol:

Alenoir
May 1, 2012, 11:22 AM
Shion's choice of word sounds like she's pulling them from a dictionary, which makes her feel like she's not actually a human.

The chapter we played hinted about time loop/time travel/Schrodinger's Cat/Virtue's Last Reward/etc.

Kion
May 1, 2012, 11:24 AM
If they're a video of someone playing through the story missions i can start translating. I would have done it in game, but I skipped all of the story cut scenes on account of Affin being a total whiny bitch. And spent the first 30 minutes of the game trying to brutally murder him.

Gardios
May 1, 2012, 11:48 AM
Lol, skipped the story quests for the same reason. Afin is unbearable.

Quality isn't the best, but since everything is voiced it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

CHAPTER 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkfc1aObaw8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg63ZvkYvL0

CHAPTER 1
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17621914
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17622301
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17622803

buri-chan
May 1, 2012, 11:49 AM
Yeah, Afin is pretty hard to stand. "OH NO, THERE ARE, LIKE, LITERALLY FIVE DAGANS HERE HOW DID THEY APPEAR WHAT'S HAPPENING WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE". Echo can't decide if she's a tsundere or not, Xeno is generic as hell, and we can only hope the not-human speculation is true to explain Shion's strange (read: bad) voice acting. But Maloo and the nurses are pretty delicious. I shouldn't have noticed, but dammit, Phillia's hair uses the same texture as the teacher's in Real Kanojo (don't you judge me).

But, uh, the very basic gist of it so far, as I've been able to tell, is you're a rookie for Arks, partnered up with Afin to explore the planet(s) while Darkers are mysteriously appearing. So a mix of PSO and PSU. Calling them Darkers pretty much confirms Dark Force/Falz/Fulkis as end boss, but that wasn't hard to guess anyways.

Clessy
May 1, 2012, 11:52 AM
story in my mmo rpg? Who cares. Waste of damn time. Give me more stages weapons cloths CONTENT.

Hiyami
May 1, 2012, 12:00 PM
story in my mmo rpg? Who cares. Waste of damn time. Give me more stages weapons cloths CONTENT.

NO NO ^

Clessy
May 1, 2012, 12:01 PM
NO NO ^

Really 1 post? And this is it?

Gardios
May 1, 2012, 12:03 PM
story in my mmo rpg? Who cares.
>Posting in a thread with people clearly interested in the story.

RocSage
May 1, 2012, 12:06 PM
According to that 1-up article.

You are a new Arks member.
Arks members are a group that work with the government to explore planets to find a new habitable world to colonize.
The reason for this mission is that the "Darkers" have appeared. They are spore like creators that can attach to other animals and take them over making them very hostile and they apparently come from a different dimension.

If the common tropes of the PS universe continue... This 1000 years after PSU or PSO, more likely PSO. If the various timelines are correct then this is likely 10-12,000 years before PSU and is the beginning of the Falz species as "Seed"

The timeloop thing could be, and more than likely is, true because it is main feature of the PS franchise that the games all connect and all exist in some huge time loop

From a story line perspective I find it interesting that Dimian exist in the "caves" area. Dimians, as you guys should all remember are previously human/newman that were mutated. The large quantity of them, given that fact, is somewhat disconcerting.

Peejay
May 1, 2012, 12:07 PM
There's been a leak! The final chapter!

Lisa takes over the ship and every mission involves you killing the things you already have been to give her candy so that she doesn't decide you're silly and kill you whilst giggling like a maniac.

Well, we all can confirm Matoi's existence, the little girl who seems to recognize you, but you can't recognize her. You end up finding her and unlocking Philia's client orders, so that means Philia is trying to hook you two up or something.

Chik'Tikka
May 1, 2012, 12:11 PM

"one day, while searching for a planet, the ship is attacked and KOS-MOS jumps into action!!!" +^_^+

Resanoca
May 1, 2012, 12:15 PM
Shion's choice of word sounds like she's pulling them from a dictionary, which makes her feel like she's not actually a human.

The chapter we played hinted about time loop/time travel/Schrodinger's Cat/Virtue's Last Reward/etc.

lol She isn't human. D:

[spoiler-box]http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n595/Resanoca/pso20120427_204713_001.jpg[/spoiler-box]

No way in hell any human could have a body like that(Legs/hands). :|

Space-water body. ;D

Infiniteque
May 1, 2012, 12:16 PM
..I also really want to know the story so far.

RocSage
May 1, 2012, 12:23 PM

How do those things even connect with each other?

Time Travel is needed for a Time Loop t occur.
Schrodinger's Cat has nothing to do with time travel or anything like that
I have no idea what you mean by "Virtue's Last Reward" from the wiki article I can guess you mean the outcome of the story is different based on your actions, but i haven't seen any evidence of that. I see you are able to respond how you want to some things, but it has virtually no effect on the story.

Kion
May 1, 2012, 12:24 PM
Does anyone else want to get rid of these annoying NPC main characters completely? In PSP you get stuck with Viviene, with Amilia in PSP2, Sarisa in PS-zero and now Afin!!?? Really they're going to force these idiots on us again?

I don't want to start a whole PSO versus current gen, but with PSO2 i really thought they were going to try and bring back the better aspects of the previous game while adding the new game play mechanics of the sequels for a better experience.

As far as PSO goes, the story was told in a really indirect manner. You were just a normal hunter, and the story was told through that. In the opening your given that pioneer 1 lost contact and you're on pioneer 2. You start off by helping a guy claim his land, then look for survivors, then do research on the local animals. Each quest contributes to the story indirectly and the design of the levels themselves lend to telling that story. You're able to see the central dome, the de rol le loose in the caves, mining drones that have gone wrong and a huge hole in the ruins made by something.

In PSO the story was the main focus and elements of design, music, art and gameplay progression all served as a method of telling that story. With these new games they shove some fucking asshat NPC and say, "yeah, this is your main character now follow him around you worthless shit".

Hiyami
May 1, 2012, 12:26 PM
Really 1 post? And this is it?

Says someone with multiple accounts, Who the fuck cares if I have one post? Lol that fact is what you said is terrible lol.

Hiyami
May 1, 2012, 12:27 PM
Does anyone else want to get rid of these annoying NPC main characters completely? In PSP you get stuck with Viviene, with Amilia in PSP2, Sarisa in PS-zero and now Afin!!?? Really they're going to force these idiots on us again?

I don't want to start a whole PSO versus current gen, but with PSO2 i really thought they were going to try and bring back the better aspects of the previous game while adding the new game play mechanics of the sequels for a better experience.

As far as PSO goes, the story was told in a really indirect manner. You were just a normal hunter, and the story was told through that. In the opening your given that pioneer 1 lost contact and you're on pioneer 2. You start off by helping a guy claim his land, then look for survivors, then do research on the local animals. Each quest contributes to the story indirectly and the design of the levels themselves lend to telling that story. You're able to see the central dome, the de rol le loose in the caves, mining drones that have gone wrong and a huge hole in the ruins made by something.

In PSO the story was the main focus and elements of design, music, art and gameplay progression all served as a method of telling that story. With these new games they shove some fucking asshat NPC and say, "yeah, this is your main character now follow him around you worthless shit".

Naahh Shinji is cool C:

Infiniteque
May 1, 2012, 12:34 PM
I really want to know if the Sinows are going to make an appearance in PSO2. I freakin' loved all of them and want to see them in PSO2 with all that incredible animation and with improved graphics!

It'd be cool if we could re-visit the Seabeds in PSO2 as well..

LokinModar
May 1, 2012, 12:38 PM
"one day, while searching for a planet, the ship is attacked and KOS-MOS jumps into action!!!" +^_^+

lol

The darker/gnosis attack the Wogllinde/Pioneer 3

And the ship is carrying the zohar and Kos-Mos is strangely connected to it. In the end, the appearance of the darkers is shion's fault. She is just a hologram and now she is the final enemy metamorfosed into some strange creature (sounds familiar, huh?)

The cutesy girl is MOMO and you are one of Dr. Mizrahi's employee during her manufacturing...

For PSO2: Episode 2, add Shion's romantic pair Kevin turning into Olga Rev.2

Taitu
May 1, 2012, 12:38 PM

I actually don't feel this way with PSO2. Obviously in the original PSU, Ethan was the main character, thus your custom character wasn't even involved in the story. In AOI yes I'll agree. Your character was just along for the ride while Laia played the role of the main character. In PSO2 though your character plays the role of the silent protagonist.

The NPCs interact with your character and are there to augment the plot. You speak as if PSO didn't have any reoccuring NPC characters. That is far from the case as I remember quite a few NPCs who made multiple appearances throughout quests in the game.

Dycize
May 1, 2012, 12:45 PM
Ok so here's what I gathered from playing the beta :
First of all, Afin is a wimp, which everyone understood (also he calls us "partner" which is waaay too friendly when we barely know the guy, oh well).
After the tutorial and matter board/client order shenanigans start the real story. Well it kind of starts with Shion but there was too many complicated words for me to understand anything.

Then! Story quest, which is basically the tutorial again, except that this time no Xeno to ruin everything and we follow the voice we hear calling for help. Then we meet Matoi, who's pretty much scared of anything that isn't the player for some reason. Then we take her back to the ship.
After that, she appears in the lobby and Philia (that's the nurse right?) gives us client orders. Basically Matoi is not in good shape so she send us on a hunt for items to heal her. Sadly, because of how stupid the third client order is, I don't know what happens next (stupid in that collecting drops from rare rappys is augh). And if anyone's curious, Matoi doesn't do much, she just stand there, sad that we don't seem to remember her and telling us to be careful.

I must say, I was laughing during story sequences, it's just so... So generic. Matoi having a shaaarp chin didn't help though (she looked so weird sometimes).
I hope the plot will get better, because with all the effort they put in it, it'd be a waste (and all those voice actors... they even got Master Asia).

Quebe_Lae
May 1, 2012, 12:47 PM
I'm crazy and I love the frick out of lore and story. Even if the characters and plots sucks, it goes and explains and fleshes out the world, from how photons are both magic and science and how Huga was part of GRM!!

But yeah, Sarisa was annoying, and I wish there was multiple endings and consequences for your actions... PSUP2 got it closest.

RocSage
May 1, 2012, 12:48 PM
First of all, Afin is a wimp, which everyone understood (also he calls us "partner" which is waaay too friendly when we barely know the guy, oh well).
After the tutorial and matter board/client order shenanigans start the real story. Well it kind of starts with Shion but there was too many complicated words for me to understand anything.

Then! Story quest, which is basically the tutorial again, except that this time no Xeno to ruin everything and we follow the voice we hear calling for help. Then we meet Matoi, who's pretty much scared of anything that isn't the player for some reason. Then we take her back to the ship.
After that, she appears in the lobby and Philia (that's the nurse right?) gives us client orders. Basically Matoi is not in good shape so she send us on a hunt for items to heal her. Sadly, because of how stupid the third client order is, I don't know what happens next (stupid in that collecting drops from rare rappys is augh). And if anyone's curious, Matoi doesn't do much, she just stand there, sad that we don't seem to remember her and telling us to be careful.

I must say, I was laughing during story sequences, it's just so... So generic. Matoi having a shaaarp chin didn't help though (she looked so weird sometimes).
I hope the plot will get better, because with all the effort they put in it, it'd be a waste (and all those voice actors... they even got Master Asia).

WHAAAA? I could have advanced the story? Noooooo *cry* I wish I would have known that completing Philia's Client Orders would progress that story cuz I had that done for several days.

Dycize
May 1, 2012, 01:00 PM
Well, I don't know if there would be more (because afaik, I also completed the matter board and nothing came out of it, so who knows).
The first quest was gathering 10 items from regular nab rappies, we get a monomate (probably to symbolize the medicine). Then we have to do that again for the second quest, and we get a dimate (stronger medicine!). The third one had a star atomizer, which leads me to believe that it would've been the last (that and rare rappies, seriously, if you're unlucky you will not learn much about the story).

Nurusanura
May 1, 2012, 01:38 PM

I think I just fell in love. Finally found somebody that also thinks that having a dumb NPC following you to explain whats going on is worthless.

Though, I think of it like Sonic and Tails. Tails was always the character that got scared and whiny about everything.

blace
May 1, 2012, 01:50 PM
Though, I think of it like Sonic and Tails. Tails was always the character that got scared and whiny about everything.
I'm guessing people were complaining about the lack of information the player was given or something. Forcing the player to have a partner was one of the negative aspects I had with the Portable series. That and they make crappy meat shields as well.

goldwing
May 1, 2012, 01:53 PM
So far this story looks good and the time loop just got me hooked i cant wait for the rest of it

Crysteon
May 1, 2012, 02:16 PM

The rare Rappies material quest wasnt hard at all...it ends quickly in multiparty fields, actually.

After all that hassle (if it really was necessary to do), you can see Shion again and you have another cutscene about her saying some more gibberish. After that you simply get a message about that's all the story content available for the Closed Beta.

As far as the story goes, everything seems to be presented pretty vaguely, but I have hope it turns into something more enjoyable. For now...I just want to know WHAT is Shion. The way she is introduced feels very paradoxical, as if she doesnt really belong to that dimension or timeline (lolFFXIII-2, u mad? ).

Eggobandit
May 1, 2012, 02:31 PM
Yeah, Afin is pretty hard to stand. "OH NO, THERE ARE, LIKE, LITERALLY FIVE DAGANS HERE HOW DID THEY APPEAR WHAT'S HAPPENING WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE". Echo can't decide if she's a tsundere or not, Xeno is generic as hell, and we can only hope the not-human speculation is true to explain Shion's strange (read: bad) voice acting. But Maloo and the nurses are pretty delicious. I shouldn't have noticed, but dammit, Phillia's hair uses the same texture as the teacher's in Real Kanojo (don't you judge me).

But, uh, the very basic gist of it so far, as I've been able to tell, is you're a rookie for Arks, partnered up with Afin to explore the planet(s) while Darkers are mysteriously appearing. So a mix of PSO and PSU. Calling them Darkers pretty much confirms Dark Force/Falz/Fulkis as end boss, but that wasn't hard to guess anyways.

Coward kid, Tsundere short girl with big breasts, Super cool rival figure, mysterious creep woman who obviously isnt human, quiet fainted fragile girl who has no memory but is obviously a plotpoint anyway?

....So basically, it's every other anime storyline on earth except we're forced to sit through it again for phantasy star.

Great.

Rauten
May 1, 2012, 02:44 PM
....So basically, it's every other anime storyline on earth except we're forced to sit through it again for phantasy star.

Great.

Yeah, I couldn't understand a word of the story, but the way the characters are presented, their looks, etc, really made me think "oh frek, this is going to be a generic anime story, isn't it?"

I had hopes it'd be different once (if) the game releases in english, and the translation would prove me wrong, but this thread is doing a pretty thorough job of murdering them.

Also, yes, Afin is a whiny little turd and I wish I could shove him into a wolf's maw. Freaking obnoxious.

P.S. I just kind of had an epiphany; I can't understand a single kata or hiragana symbol, yet I still feel Afin is... well, a whiny little turd. I can't imagine how much worse he will be once I can actually understand what he says!! Welp, time to unlearn English and hope they never release in Spanish.

Alenoir
May 1, 2012, 02:47 PM
How do those things even connect with each other?

Time Travel is needed for a Time Loop t occur.
Schrodinger's Cat has nothing to do with time travel or anything like that
I have no idea what you mean by "Virtue's Last Reward" from the wiki article I can guess you mean the outcome of the story is different based on your actions, but i haven't seen any evidence of that. I see you are able to respond how you want to some things, but it has virtually no effect on the story.

Yeah I figured no one would really get the reference, what with Virute's Last Reward's not actually out in the English and whatnot. Anyways, I'll keep it short, but this will be a spoiler for anyone that ever played "9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors" and plans to play VLR later this year.

[SPOILER-BOX]Basically, the world view in 999/VLR is that history splits whenever there's a "decision point" into parallel worlds. There are some people with special powers that are aware of this fact, and some even have the power to jump across different history and time to change history. (Creating a new "decision point".)

You know how in the tutorial you simply just tell Alfin to ran for it and then ended up getting help from Xeno.

Now fast-forward to Chapter 1's story quest, after the two orange points on your matter board. This time, instead of running away, you killed them instead and headed to the right instead to find Matoi.

Doesn't this sound like you paid special attention to Matoi's calling for help because you know there's a girl alive from information you learned afterward? The game further supports this with the fact that you can keep on repeating the history again by clearing Ch.1 the same way you cleared Ch.0, and nothing will happen.

Schrodinger's cat is a term used in 999/VLR to describe the state of being both alive and dead at the same time, which I found similar to Matoi's situation.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Of course this is just off what we saw in what's in CB. It will probably turn out to be something totally different, but speculating is always fun~

Eggobandit
May 1, 2012, 02:50 PM
Yeah, I couldn't understand a word of the story, but the way the characters are presented, their looks, etc, really made me think "oh frek, this is going to be a generic anime story, isn't it?"

I had hopes it'd be different once (if) the game releases in english, and the translation would prove me wrong, but this thread is doing a pretty thorough job of murdering them.

Also, yes, Afin is a whiny little turd and I wish I could shove him into a wolf's maw. Freaking obnoxious.

P.S. I just kind of had an epiphany; I can't understand a single kata or hiragana symbol, yet I still feel Afin is... well, a whiny little turd. I can't imagine how much worse he will be once I can actually understand what he says!! Welp, time to unlearn English and hope they never release in Spanish.

Well to be fair i thought the same thing of Emilia before PSP2 was localized, and she happened to be my favorite character in the whole game

She was just annoying during all the CG cutscenes because they tried their hardest to make her look frail and cutesy and moe when she was mostly just cynical and sarcastic and pretty laid back. Hopefully it'll be that way again for this game...

Rauten
May 1, 2012, 02:53 PM
Well to be fair i thought the same thing of Emilia before PSP2 was localized, and she happened to be my favorite character in the whole game

Everytime I was forced to take Emilia on a mission, I wept.

RocSage
May 1, 2012, 04:54 PM
Yeah I figured no one would really get the reference, what with Virute's Last Reward's not actually out in the English and whatnot. Anyways, I'll keep it short, but this will be a spoiler for anyone that ever played "9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors" and plans to play VLR later this year.

[SPOILER-BOX]Basically, the world view in 999/VLR is that history splits whenever there's a "decision point" into parallel worlds. There are some people with special powers that are aware of this fact, and some even have the power to jump across different history and time to change history. (Creating a new "decision point".)

You know how in the tutorial you simply just tell Alfin to ran for it and then ended up getting help from Xeno.

Now fast-forward to Chapter 1's story quest, after the two orange points on your matter board. This time, instead of running away, you killed them instead and headed to the right instead to find Matoi.

Doesn't this sound like you paid special attention to Matoi's calling for help because you know there's a girl alive from information you learned afterward? The game further supports this with the fact that you can keep on repeating the history again by clearing Ch.1 the same way you cleared Ch.0, and nothing will happen.

Schrodinger's cat is a term used in 999/VLR to describe the state of being both alive and dead at the same time, which I found similar to Matoi's situation.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Of course this is just off what we saw in what's in CB. It will probably turn out to be something totally different, but speculating is always fun~

So basically you used a reference point that noone would understand to try to communicate... I give you an F.

There are a few that you are mistaking, probably due to your reference point...

A time loop is caused when event A triggers event B which then, through linear time travel, causes event A to occur. This is seen in one of the endings of (sorry I'm rusty with the names and such of all these things) PSIII? where the Alissa 3? finds its way to Earth which causes Earth to build and send ships to the Aloglian system.

Schrodinger's Cat paradox is the concept that until an event is seen/measured all possibilities exist, illustrated by placing a cat in a box and then putting a poison that "could" be released thus killing the cat. Because you don't know whether the cat is alive or dead in the box then the cat, until you open the box, is both alive and dead.

What you are describing actually has nothing to do with that. Well there is somewhat something to do with it, but not really. What you are talking about is alternate branching realities where in there is no "real" world, but rather every possibility creates a separate universe so all possibilities exist simultaneously in alternate realities.

Some people have mistakenly, as far as we know, confused all this and believe that because there are billions of yous across the multiverse that there is some sort of connection and you can will yourself between these universes. But that is not how parallel branching alternate realities work. In branching realities what happens when you time travel, if you don't use linear time travel, is that you go to a different universe and that universe plays out as it would because you were always going to be appear at that point in time

The problem with branching realities and time travel is that it isn't logical to time travel when you have branching realities. If you didn't like your current reality or wanted to do something in the past that you didn't to affect the future/present you'd simply travel to the universe that already has those affects.

For example if you wanted to Kill Hitler. Traveling back and killing Hitler makes no sense because you aren't killing hitler in your reality to begin with so you aren't getting vengeance on the guy you think you are. It makes no difference to the world you left because that hitler still exists and does everything he does. The hitler you killed no longer exist and then you probably don't want to live your life out returning to the present so you have a few option. Like stasis, FtL, etc or Time travel again to another reality where Hitler is dead and you're in the present. You are then in a 3rd reality where you didn't kill hitler but he was killed by somebody. Because this is the case it becomes stupid to go back and kill hitler when killing a hitler has no effect on the world you came from or the world you ended up in so instead of time traveling and killing hitler a smart person would just jump to the third reality, by passing the second.

I think I'll stop there.

Crysteon
May 1, 2012, 05:42 PM
Now, the question is: How many Hitlers do we need to kill for Sega to actually give us a good story plot?

NoiseHERO
May 1, 2012, 05:44 PM
Anime/Manga story writing rule # 1!

Even a monkey could write manga.

But if it works on most of your LOLI NEWMAN DD CUP MOE OBSESSED, OTAKU customers why pay writers?? BWAHAHAHAHAHA-JAPAN-HAHAHAHA!

Blackheart521
May 1, 2012, 05:57 PM
Anime/Manga story writing rule # 1!

Even a monkey could write manga.

But if it works on most of your LOLI NEWMAN DD CUP MOE OBSESSED, OTAKU customers why pay writers?? BWAHAHAHAHAHA-JAPAN-HAHAHAHA!

THIS was the logic behind PSU's story :lol:

NoiseHERO
May 1, 2012, 06:01 PM
THIS was the logic behind PSU's story :lol:

And anything else from Japan...

In the last... 13 years.

Kraiseson
May 1, 2012, 06:15 PM

I second this post.

Shakuri
May 1, 2012, 06:36 PM
Everytime I was forced to take Emilia on a mission, I wept.

How did you not hate Yuto the most? He is the worst character in the franchise.

jmanx
May 1, 2012, 06:37 PM

I THIRD this who cares, stories are for sissy girly men who dont want to kill stuff
stories are for women with all that feelings mumbo jumbo

Blizz3112
May 1, 2012, 06:44 PM
I SECOND this who cares, stories are for sissy girly men who dont want to kill stuff
stories are for women with all that feelings mumbo jumbo

That's the dumbest thing ever heard. Sure, you can do that, but some story would be nice to make what you're doing a little more interesting and non-repetitive.

Besides, if they make them optional like PSO Blue Burst had them, would you complain about it then?

I suppose they should try to apeace everybody in this game, whether you like to grind uncontrollably or just like to follow a story...

Sakarisei
May 1, 2012, 06:46 PM
Eh guys, thanks a lot for your posts. Now i've got an idea of PSO2 so i'm very thankful with your posts =)

Of course, all lore of pso2 begins with a cruel entry of dark creatures (In PSO, only you see it at the end of ep1) and then, for saving the world, you always kill dark falz or any grand dark creature made of dark falz's power.

Unafortunately, i've got other question, and it's about the prologue that you can see on the official website of PSO2. Yeah, i know that i'm in 238AB (I'm not sure about the age, but i remember something like this) because when you play any event, you can see the date. However, what's the translation of this prologue?

Greetings and thanks a lot, i'm very thankful =)

buri-chan
May 1, 2012, 06:54 PM
Here, let me change the story to a different kind of generic.

You are an adventurer a Hunter a spess mahreen a Space Marine in the Adventurer's Guild Arks Colony Earth Space Army, being sent to kill the Shadow Lord colonize distant worlds fight aliens, with your sidekick Ineffective Effeminate Teenager Whiny Effeminate Teenager Plucky Comic Relief. Also joining you is Obi-Wan Generic Hero Secondbest Hero and his wife bitch heterosexual lifemate. But things are darker than they seem, as you find a mysterious girl who lost her memory an amnesiac girl of mystery an ancient relic. Will you be able to save the world the system the universe?

catwat
May 1, 2012, 07:03 PM
More weapons and more content. Story comes after for whoever wants to translate it.

Vashyron
May 1, 2012, 07:14 PM
Love the amount of people who have to drag their opinions of "lol wo cars abot da storay."

I believe this thread was made to understand the current story. While I too care less about the story than most other things, if I can I would rather understand it rather than "lol lemme just kill these rappies hurr."

PrinceBrightstar
May 1, 2012, 07:35 PM
I was kinda wondering what was going on between the chapter 0 and chapter 1 mission when they seemed to be repeating events. It makes me wonder if chapter 2 may take us down yet another path.

I also noticed that there are dates and times being displayed on certain events. I took plenty of videos but I'm not sure if I have each and every single event. I'll try to piece everything together once all of my video is encoded to a workable format. (AUGH I've got like 10 days still to encode!)

If you're unfamiliar with what a time loop is, I'd like to suggest checking this video out as an indirect way of explaining it.

http://blip.tv/sf-debris-opinionated-reviews/tng-cause-and-effect-review-6086552

...or you could just go watch groundhog day. The only problem with that one is that it's never explained how the time loop ends....it just ends.

Sakarisei
May 1, 2012, 07:42 PM
Here, let me change the story to a different kind of generic.

You are an adventurer a Hunter a spess mahreen a Space Marine in the Adventurer's Guild Arks Colony Earth Space Army, being sent to kill the Shadow Lord colonize distant worlds fight aliens, with your sidekick Ineffective Effeminate Teenager Whiny Effeminate Teenager Plucky Comic Relief. Also joining you is Obi-Wan Generic Hero Secondbest Hero and his wife bitch heterosexual lifemate. But things are darker than they seem, as you find a mysterious girl who lost her memory an amnesiac girl of mystery an ancient relic. Will you be able to save the world the system the universe?

Well, i know about this stereotype so... i'm not very surprised with this thing... much less if any MMORPG uses the same model for seeling their games...

Rauten
May 1, 2012, 07:45 PM

Eh I dunno, I didn't really like his character, but he didn't feel as stupid, obnoxious and utterly useless as Emilia.

Still, I almost cried tears of joy when I suddenly recruited Magashi who I didn't even know was in the game.

Back on topic; I think it's a bit too early to try to understand what little of the story has been presented to us, feels like trying to make sense of an entire anime season by just watching the first episode: it's just not gonna happen.

We'll have to wait and see, but I fear PSO2's story is very likely going to be it's weakest point.:-?

buri-chan
May 1, 2012, 07:45 PM
The easy way not to hate Yut was because he was voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro. I can't stay mad at her.

kyuuketsuki
May 1, 2012, 07:53 PM
Hey, here's an idea: if you don't care about the story, stay out of the thread that's about the story. Oh wait, you wouldn't be able to act all superior and go "LOL JAPAN CAN'T MAKE STORIES" as though the Japanese have a monopoly on cliche plot lines if you did that.

Anyway, there's no arguing with the fact that Alfin is an annoying little bastard, and it doesn't bode well that the writing team seems to think he adds anything positive to the experience. However, I don't find any issue with Zeno/Xeno or Echo. No, I don't give a crap if you find them to be generic anime figures.

The time-loop or Schrodinger's cat or whatever exactly is going on with the connection between the Chapter 0 "tutorial" mission and the Chapter 1 story mission is interesting and I'm curious to see how it pans out. The young girl with underboob cut-out robes is a little unusual, and obviously a big plot point is going to hinge on her. Shion obviously has something going on as well with her man voice, lifeless dictation, and odd body proportions.

I'm not sure where anyone is getting any complaint that the story is being "shoved in your face". All cut-scenes are skippable, and you don't have to interact with the random story tablets at all outside of optional Matter Board quests. If you don't want anything to do with the story, you're free not to.

vividspider
May 1, 2012, 07:59 PM
...or you could just go watch groundhog day. The only problem with that one is that it's never explained how the time loop ends....it just ends.
Or something like Higurashi.
Or Blaze Blue has time loops too.

Crysteon
May 1, 2012, 08:07 PM
The easy way not to hate Yut was because he was voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro. I can't stay mad at her.

There is a reason to really hate Yut: his english voice actor!!

moorebounce
May 1, 2012, 08:09 PM
So basically you used a reference point that noone would understand to try to communicate... I give you an F.

A time loop is caused when event A triggers event B which then, through linear time travel, causes event A to occur. This is seen in one of the endings of (sorry I'm rusty with the names and such of all these things) PSIII? where the Alissa 3? finds its way to Earth which causes Earth to build and send ships to the Aloglian system.

Schrodinger's Cat paradox is the concept that until an event is seen/measured all possibilities exist, illustrated by placing a cat in a box and then putting a poison that "could" be released thus killing the cat. Because you don't know whether the cat is alive or dead in the box then the cat, until you open the box, is both alive and dead.

What you are describing actually has nothing to do with that. Well there is somewhat something to do with it, but not really. What you are talking about is alternate branching realities where in there is no "real" world, but rather every possibility creates a separate universe so all possibilities exist simultaneously in alternate realities.

Some people have mistakenly, as far as we know, confused all this and believe that because there are billions of yous across the multiverse that there is some sort of connection and you can will yourself between these universes. But that is not how parallel branching alternate realities work. In branching realities what happens when you time travel, if you don't use linear time travel, is that you go to a different universe and that universe plays out as it would because you were always going to be appear at that point in time

The problem with branching realities and time travel is that it isn't logical to time travel when you have branching realities. If you didn't like your current reality or wanted to do something in the past that you didn't to affect the future/present you'd simply travel to the universe that already has those affects.

For example if you wanted to Kill Hitler. Traveling back and killing Hitler makes no sense because you aren't killing hitler in your reality to begin with so you aren't getting vengeance on the guy you think you are. It makes no difference to the world you left because that hitler still exists and does everything he does. The hitler you killed no longer exist and then you probably don't want to live your life out returning to the present so you have a few option. Like stasis, FtL, etc or Time travel again to another reality where Hitler is dead and you're in the present. You are then in a 3rd reality where you didn't kill hitler but he was killed by somebody. Because this is the case it becomes stupid to go back and kill hitler when killing a hitler has no effect on the world you came from or the world you ended up in so instead of time traveling and killing hitler a smart person would just jump to the third reality, by passing the second.

I think I'll stop there.

I don't think Sega/Sonic Team is thinking that deep. Plus you just made half the people who read that head explode. When people talk about time travel or looping they're talking about traveling and looping in the same universe not the alternate ones. People want to affect their current reality because if you go to the alternate one the alternate you is already there. So that would be kind of stupid. The only good that will come out of that is nothing will happen when you come in contact with the alternate you.

Dude if you haven't checked out Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths you have to now.

NoiseHERO
May 1, 2012, 08:32 PM
Hey, here's an idea: if you don't care about the story, stay out of the thread that's about the story. Oh wait, you wouldn't be able to act all superior and go "LOL JAPAN CAN'T MAKE STORIES"

Just in case this subtly directed at me, I actually DO care about the stories and games I play. The generic anime tropes and typical characters, and the fact that dark falz is always going to be the last boss... You already know the whole plot.

On the other hand I'm more interested in the history of the worlds. The adventures and monsters we'll encounter, the struggles the characters will have to go through and everything else in between.

A good example being that PSU game that everyone tries too hard to be butthurt over. The story at first sight... yeah I hate ALL of the characters [spoiler]except Ethan because he's easy to make fun of[/spo;er] and after episode one the story in general was told in a very annoying "I'm not even a main character, and I'm tired of looking at this britney spears ganguro and following ethan's sister on naive loli adventures." way.

But once you get past that, and you read up on the concept of the backstories and history of all the races and planets things like CASTs and other races struggling over equality then rebuilding trust with humans, beasts breaking free of slavery and neudaiz "perfect society" turning out to be twisted and not so perfect.

It's like "wow there's a lot of shit going on here and it's actually really interesting." Hell from the sounds of things, this is probably what OP was asking about the most.

Also I agree it's kind of ignorant to say "LOL WHO CARES ABOUT THE STORY IN MMO GAMES" MMOs are games too, even if most of them suck and probably do deserve to be told "who cares about the story here?" PSO2 isn't one of them, let alone too many people in general would argue that the PSO series is barely even an MMO.

Dycize
May 1, 2012, 08:33 PM
I should have paid more attention do the date and time of events it seems...
Thinking about it, time traveling could even be tied into the gameplay.
How? There's a "rebirth" system, from what we were told. What if that rebirth happened by returning to our self at the beginning of the game? Which would explain how our character is stronger yet is back at level 1... And avoid time paradoxes by having two "you" running around.
Also, it perfectly fits with time loop theories.
Which would mean then that there would indeed be time travel shenanigans.
I'll admit that I don't like those a lot, it can easily get out of hand without proper planning.

I wonder what Shion really is though. Obviously some sort of researcher (white coat, name tag, complicated words...) and something clearly not human (blue legs/hands, the weird static effect when she turns towards us to talk...). I wonder if she might actually be a PSO2 duman/dewman (didn't they appear in that data mining thing?). Cyber jelly limbs sounds better (and funnier) than super eyepatch powers (I'll admit that I don't know much about PSP2i's dumans).

Anyway, looks like we're stuck in the story department until the open beta. Not that we can't speculate...

Now the way the story is laid out isn't bad, it's just that for now, the characters are pretty bare bones. Afin will probably grow some balls over time. He also suffers of typical gameplay/story segregation. Sure darkers aren't difficult to face, but they are basically the mysterious threat that attacks everything (so mysterious they are not supposed to be on Naberius).
Z/Xeno and Echo don't even appear for long. If you skip the tutorial/chapter 0 (like when making a second character) they feel just like any other NPC. I mean, so far, a NURSE is more involved in the story than them, why? Because she's taking care of Matoi.

Well... Yeah. It's generic, but a story has to start somewhere, right? Only time will tell if it'll get better of it'll be a bore.

PS : People please try to keep it calm, I may be no moderator but no need to be aggressive, and just ignore the things that should be. If there are things to be ignored. What am I talking about again?

Ah yes, the story, who manages to be generic as heck and yet, one NPC manages to make everything weird. Also, I wonder how the planets will be connected in terms of story.

NoiseHERO
May 1, 2012, 08:37 PM
Oh and Afin is awesome, the typical coward partner isn't even used a lot these days, and he gives you juice! ALL THE TIME! OUT OF HIS OWN POCKET MONEY! He's the guy that's like "OKAY PARTNER-SAN... WE'RE GONNA GO BACK ALIVE!! >_<" And runs in crying and shooting up the place, sure he crapped his pants... and he's a ranewm!

FOR YOU HATERS!

I know saying "I HATE ANIME TROPES" is soooooo cool now, because it's suuuuch an independent mindset to have... (Hell even I do it a lot) But lay off Afin! >0

Eggobandit
May 1, 2012, 08:38 PM
Hey, here's an idea: if you don't care about the story, stay out of the thread that's about the story. Oh wait, you wouldn't be able to act all superior and go "LOL JAPAN CAN'T MAKE STORIES" as though the Japanese have a monopoly on cliche plot lines if you did that.

ahoy hoy

more like "act all exhausted because ive seen this story a trillion times and the only difference is there is no difference because all anime characters look exactly afuckinglike"

jmanx
May 1, 2012, 09:11 PM
Love the amount of people who have to drag their opinions of "lol wo cars abot da storay."

I believe this thread was made to understand the current story. While I too care less about the story than most other things, if I can I would rather understand it rather than "lol lemme just kill these rappies hurr."

lmao yea FKR YAR

buri-chan
May 1, 2012, 09:14 PM
FIVE. There were literally FIVE Dagans, and he lost his shit. Hell, he was freaked right out at the sight of a single Udan! And his Client Orders are jokes. OKAY, GO EQUIP A WEAPON, DO YOU KNOW HOW TO DO THAT? Thank you, Afin, you're so helpful. Oh, and a Monomate, thank yo, really. I'm carrying 10 already because I'm not a dweeb like you, but no, really, just let me either throw away this one or waste a space in my storage. And, I mean, my character is, like, 5'4" in high heels and she's STILL taller than you. AND more menacing. AND stronger. No, no, you put on a skirt and stay behind to knit doilies while me, Jean, Hans and Batshit McRanger handle things.

Zyrusticae
May 1, 2012, 09:16 PM
ahoy hoy

more like "act all exhausted because ive seen this story a trillion times and the only difference is there is no difference because all anime characters look exactly afuckinglike"
First of all, this is moronic.

Secondly, I think you need to be introduced to Sturgeon's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon's_Law).

You're welcome.

NoiseHERO
May 1, 2012, 09:19 PM
FIVE. There were literally FIVE Dagans, and he lost his shit. Hell, he was freaked right out at the sight of a single Udan! And his Client Orders are jokes. OKAY, GO EQUIP A WEAPON, DO YOU KNOW HOW TO DO THAT? Thank you, Afin, you're so helpful. Oh, and a Monomate, thank yo, really. I'm carrying 10 already because I'm not a dweeb like you, but no, really, just let me either throw away this one or waste a space in my storage. And, I mean, my character is, like, 5'4" in high heels and she's STILL taller than you. AND more menacing. AND stronger. No, no, you put on a skirt and stay behind to knit doilies while me, Jean, Hans and Batshit McRanger handle things.

The average person gets scared just from seeing a mouse, Afin is just keeping it real "DUDE THAT MONKEY IS STARING AT US WEIRD."

You can't hate on him being a short weakling kid if you're an anime trope yourself pink haired loli girl with weapons bigger than her whole body! D:

SOMEBODY has to offer you those lame tutorial quests, there's no manual to come with the game. only vets don't need a manual. D:

Stop hating ;~;

LEAVE AFIN ALONE, STOP MAKING IT COOL TO HATE ON HIM! YOU'RE ALL NO BETTER! /runs out crying.

Also what the heck, man, Afin is taller than my character... But my character is taller than that other pink haired pimp newman guy.

edit: also don't take this post offensively if I had anything against your pink haired character I wouldn't like Afin either.

Rauten
May 1, 2012, 09:26 PM
Batshit McRanger

I take it you mean Lisa? I love how she sounds, she just seems to be so completely batshit nuts, I just love it. I'm claiming her as my waifu. In our wedding we'll rip the spines of rockbears and use them to beat the living shiznatz out of Vol Dragon.

The average person gets scared just from seeing a mouse-

Yeah, but the average person doesn't enroll in what's basically a military organization.

Also, Leda is another one that needs to die. Painfully. Every event involving him was an endurance test for my retinas.

buri-chan
May 1, 2012, 09:27 PM
But the difference is that I'm magic, so I don't have to explain how the scrap of paper is fighting a dragon with barehands.

Also, Leda is another one that needs to die. Painfully. Every event involving him was an endurance test for my retinas.

Oh no, I don't want to kill them. I want to Bright Slap them until they man up.

Peejay
May 1, 2012, 09:48 PM
*Gushing over Lisa*

I'm sorry, but...

What are you doing to my property?

buri-chan
May 1, 2012, 10:04 PM
Look, she's a Cast. We can copy her and everyone can get a model.

Eggobandit
May 1, 2012, 10:08 PM
First of all, this is moronic.

Secondly, I think you need to be introduced to Sturgeon's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon's_Law).

You're welcome.

Ohh, something new to learn from an internet teacher. Lets click this link shall we?

"90% of everything is crap"? Oh, i didn't need Mr. Sturgeon to tell me that, but whatever. Thank you for that wondrous and knowledgeable link to an opinion from a Science Fiction author. You're such a model citizen.

While I will agree that he's an idiot for being like 6 years old taking field military assignments, I must admit it's pretty pointless to knock him for being afraid of a group of dangerous invading creatures. You have to remember that during cutscenes, he doesn't get 500 hitpoints and moon atomizers. Explosions and bullets actually kill people during cutscenes. You're able to Tank a meteor explosion during PSU's final boss, yet ethan gets clipped by a car at the start of the game and it literally incapacitates him.

Not to mention A-Rank Deathdancers apparently doing 959,594,423 damage to Magashi during that one last cutscene.

Also, since nobody knows the story yet, it is entirely possible that encounter could have been either a rare occurance or a first with the dagans. In which case that reaction is justified.

I just wish it was more like PSO, where the initial contact with the "SUPER DARK EVIL FORCE" is actually catastrophic and almost guarantees death. You know, sort of like the first encounter with The Flood in Halo. But this is more like PSU, so they're trying to setup their "SUPER POWER OF FRIENDSHIP" relation with the player by letting them encounter the danger together.

NoiseHERO
May 1, 2012, 10:10 PM
Yeah, but the average person doesn't enroll in what's basically a military organization.

I'm pretty sure people just jump into the military all the time. Whatever Afin's deal is, he's giving us juice. Maybe he needs to pay bills, man. Stop looking for reasons to hate him for existing. D:

Eggobandit
May 1, 2012, 10:25 PM
AFIN IS WHINY

CLOUD IS WHINY
SQUALL IS WHINY
TIDUS IS WHINY
ETHAN IS WHINY
LUMIA IS WHINY
EMILIA IS WHINY
ICHIGO IS WHINY
EDGE IS WHINY (he really was at one point though)
SORA IS WHINY
ROXAS IS WHINY

I WISH THEIR LIVES WOULD GET RUINED WITHOUT THEM TALKING ABOUT IT OR REACTING TO IT AT ALL GOSH

yeah see where this is going

Should i start the Emo list next

NoiseHERO
May 1, 2012, 10:35 PM
All of those guys only whine sometimes, and most of them already suck except for Roxas and Edge. D:

Eggobandit
May 1, 2012, 10:54 PM
well...

AFIN -(dont know em)
CLOUD -(never whined once, dude was too alpha)
SQUALL ("...Whatever." Complaining was against his entire character)
TIDUS ( hometown destroyed eaten by giant fish thrown into foreign world everyone dying find girl of his dreams falls in love and then finds out shes ultimately gonna die. guess he should just lighten the fuck up)
ETHAN (....i dont know, dont remember him whining once. He was actually pretty thuggish towards the very beginning and ending )
LUMIA (Okay yeah she's annoying)
EMILIA (allowed to. Lazy people who justify themselves are funny.)
ICHIGO (dont really know)
EDGE (Blew up a planet killed a billion people. It still got annoying though)
SORA (Just threw this in for fun, Sora too alpha to whine)
ROXAS ( Roxas isn't a whiner he's just a nobody)

Eggobandit
May 1, 2012, 11:06 PM
Its sad because i really liked Edge's personality at the start of the game. But after that....

I was just like "man just kill this bitch off and make Laura Bail-i mean Reimi Saionji the main protagonist already". She never whined about anything, was ride-or-die as FAWK and was probably my favorite and strongest character in battle anyway. I could understand his angst but jesus christ SHHHADAAAPP already. It carried on just a few cutscenes too long.

I think people let that horrible Advent Children and the KH games mold their view of Cloud too much. He was kind of a goofball with his actual personality, not some brooding tool like his later incarnations.

Have you ever read a book, and then had a movie come out about it, and then ALL THE SUDDEN everyone has an opinion about good/bad things in the movie, but nobody actually read the book and thus really don't even know what they are talking about? thats final fantasy 7.

Im under the firm belief that nobody knows who Cloud, Sephiroth or anyone else from that game was anymore and anyone who has an opinion on the story, characters or game in general should just shut up and play it over before they pretend to have an opinion. This includes Square Enix staff. The actual game came out 15 years ago. No seriously. Play it over.

Kion
May 1, 2012, 11:27 PM
AFIN IS WHINY
CLOUD IS WHINY
SQUALL IS WHINY
TIDUS IS WHINY
ETHAN IS WHINY
LUMIA IS WHINY
EMILIA IS WHINY
ICHIGO IS WHINY
EDGE IS WHINY (he really was at one point though)
SORA IS WHINY
ROXAS IS WHINY

Should i start the Emo list next

QQFT

[spoiler-box]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_yFZZdYrVw
[/spoiler-box]

NoiseHERO
May 1, 2012, 11:31 PM
There's 4 different clouds.

Super saiyan gohan hair cloud.

Duckbutt hair cloud.

Kingdomhearts cloud.

and super saiyain gohan hair cloud AFTER his epiphany.

I don't take kindly to either of them but at least original Cloud didn't make me cringe every time he was on the screen, he was just annoying-LET'S MOSEY. This is what happens when you try to make a character as cool is possible and then realize at the last minute you don't have a clue what cool really is... *COUGH MODERN SONIC AFTER ADVENTURE 1 COUGH*

But yeah I guess we already know PSO2's story so far with what they've given us. GOING BACK TO WHAT I WA ORGINALLY TALKING ABOUT IN TERMS OF BACK STORY > TYPICAL ANIME TROPES THAT PEOPLE CAN'T LOOK PAST. Would be nice to learn a bit about that mutant lizard civilization that are intelligent enough to hold a sword and shield/shoot magic fireballs, get bossed around by a giant talking voldragon.

If anything the volcano planet reminds me of the mushroom kingdom with all these talking lizards and their almost medieval society and all of the talking vol dragons can be bowser's cousins.

ENOUGH HINTING AT THE QUESTION, WHY CAN VOL DRAGONS TALK???

RocSage
May 1, 2012, 11:41 PM
I don't think Sega/Sonic Team is thinking that deep. Plus you just made half the people who read that head explode. When people talk about time travel or looping they're talking about traveling and looping in the same universe not the alternate ones. People want to affect their current reality because if you go to the alternate one the alternate you is already there. So that would be kind of stupid. The only good that will come out of that is nothing will happen when you come in contact with the alternate you.

Dude if you haven't checked out Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths you have to now.

I own the movie somewhere; I think.

I know I just blew most peoples' minds. People are really bad about following time travel and because of that they generally dislike anything that has to do with a lot of Time Travel. That's why I can enjoy Enterprise and Voyager, where most people can't because they can't follow and then just just classify it as bad.

I think a closer thing to what the person is trying to describe in that 777 thins similar to what is explained in a movie called Lunopolis (I think that's what it is called) It's on net flix and it's about an 2 guys getting drawn into a conspiracy that involve time travel, aliens, and such. It's a filmed documentary style.

Eggobandit
May 1, 2012, 11:44 PM
@ Eastwood, spoilering because we're getting badly offtopic
[SPOILER-BOX]

T
I don't take kindly to either of them but at least original Cloud didn't make me cringe every time he was on the screen, he was just annoying-LET'S MOSEY. This is what happens when you try to make a character as cool is possible and then realize at the last minute you don't have a clue what cool really is... *COUGH MODERN SONIC AFTER ADVENTURE 1 COUGH*
you....are absolutely right about that cool part. That's pretty funny. But you see, thats what i loved about FF7. I specifically remember that line in particular getting a funny lampshade at the end of the game.

Cloud: "Aight guys Lets Mosey."
Cid : "AGAIN? DAMN"
Cloud : "what"
Cid : "Quit saying it like a WIMP! can't you say "MOVE OUT!" or something?"

Actually, Cloud's appparnet supercoolness was challenged almost from the beginning of the game when Aerith exposed that he sucked at women.

There was no real cushoning at all for Sonic Adventure's "cool" though. Sonic was much better at pulling off his "WAY PAST COOL" thing when he didn't talk.

Sonic Colors DID do a wonderful job of lampshading Sonic's lines thanks to Tails.

"LETS MAKE LIKE EGGMANS' HAIRLINE AND RECEDE"

"Okay well hairline jokes aside...."

I think modern anime would do good to learn to subtly announce when they're doing something questionable. It makes it much easier for the audience to swallow it. It's like that concept has been all but lost in RPGs recently though.
[/SPOILER-BOX]

ClothoBuer
May 2, 2012, 12:09 AM

Oh god this, I dreaded EVERY single time I had to drag that useless meatbag out for a mission. Yut was a garbage character, and I'd sooner take Afin over him. Don't see what all the hate is on Echo though, so far she's been the most tolerable of the story characters we've had thrust upon our poor unfortunate digital selves.

And people need to stop being so overly negative about the story, save your opinions until you've played through the whole thing. Tales of Graces f had the same situation for me, cliche story and characters and it made want to beat myself mercilessly for even buying it, but the further in I got, the better things went. Give it a chance and some time, then judge it.

NoiseHERO
May 2, 2012, 12:45 AM
Yeah yut was pretty terrible, he was worse than any anime trope. D:

He was just dumb and useless and you and moemillia had to babysit him.

He was barely even a plot device, he just gave us all an excuse to get some pudding, but... I don't even like pudding. D:

Eggobandit
May 2, 2012, 01:06 AM
I thought mirage blasts were a terrible throw in, and yes yut was a shitty character.

photon weapons and feral kids? MAN gtfo

Crystal_Shard
May 2, 2012, 01:10 AM
Yuuto was terrible, but I think all should be water under the bridge given that without him, we wouldn't have had that hilarious miniquest of his at the end of Infinity where he totally destroys Lumia's rising hopes during that bride quest of his.

So far, the thread's been going FKL all the way, but I am intrigued by the one legitimate idea that was tossed up - that the tutorial mission and the first story mission may actually be some kind of temporal causality loop. I noticed the discrepancy when playing the story mission, but the idea didn't really take root until I read it here. As long as we don't end up into "you wake up from a long dream" or "everything is reset to the beginning" territory, I think I'll give this current team a chance to craft something that should be unique for the series. I don't recall the PS series venturing much into temporal paradoxes before.

On the topic of characters, I fully agree that Alfin needs to curl up in his MyRoom and never emerge, I think the hate directed to Xeno, Echo and Matoi are mostly unfounded though. Typical archetypes they may be, but they seem to be fairly realistic within the confines of the little story we actually know. (Granted, I love the VA of Echo and I'm going to keep Matoi around solely because I want that outfit of hers for my character. ^_^) Oh, and the less said about Reda, the better.

goldwing
May 2, 2012, 01:25 AM
I thought mirage blasts were a terrible throw in, and yes yut was a shitty character.

photon weapons and feral kids? MAN gtfo

Mirage blasts are the same as PBs

NoiseHERO
May 2, 2012, 01:47 AM
STILL HATIN' ON AFIN??

ARGGHHGLFG AND YOU WONDER WHY THIS THREAD FKL'D! YOU GUYS ARE IMPOSSIBLE!

/runs through wall

blace
May 2, 2012, 01:54 AM
Don't most content in this board become FKL bait anyway?

I don't have much to say but what I have said pages ago, nor do I really care as long as the game can compensate for an overused niche style that stems from a japanese audience.

Eggobandit
May 2, 2012, 02:01 AM
Mirage blasts are the same as PBs

No, PBs are the same as PBs. Mirage Blasts were not as cool as any Nano or SUV attack.

Dark Emerald EXE
May 2, 2012, 02:07 AM
WHY CAN VOL DRAGONS TALK???
Because he's that awesome....would be nice if they explained that in the story....maybe all bosses can talk :o

Eggobandit
May 2, 2012, 02:09 AM
Well they call the guys 'dragon people' and the vol dragon is a giant dragon

Enforcer MKV
May 2, 2012, 02:21 AM
STILL HATIN' ON AFIN??

ARGGHHGLFG AND YOU WONDER WHY THIS THREAD FKL'D! YOU GUYS ARE IMPOSSIBLE!

/runs through wall

*Stares at the hole in the wall*

Uh.....haters gonna hate?

I dunno, I'm waiting until I actually know what the hell is going on in the story before I cast any judgement....

Eggobandit
May 2, 2012, 02:34 AM
my judgement is that afin has a stupid name. i'll probably enjoy the story one way or another anyway.

I was probably just expecting a more Phantasy Star Online 1 type of storyline. You know, a tad more grit and impending death rather than friendship, twin newman lolis, creepy manchicks and fainted amnesia girls. I mean fuck if you're gonna pull the amnesia stunt AGAIN Sega (COUGHCOUGH Sil'fer COUGHCOUGH), you might as well have just made the character interesting looking/sounding. At least silfer actually fit into the setting of the game.

But nope. Appeal to otaku and mass anime crowd. Perhaps some actual context and translation will change my opinion. But like i said, I was expecting something more along the lines of PSO's storyline. This one is starting to feel alot more like PSU. Which isn't a bad thing at all. It's just...i dont know, a tad disappointing?

Sort of like if you ordered a Pepperoni Pizza but got an Italian Sausage pizza instead. You've still got a delicious pizza, but...fuck i just wanted pepperoni man

Hayde
May 2, 2012, 02:39 AM
my judgement is that afin has a stupid name. i'll probably enjoy the story one way or another anyway.

I was probably just expecting a more Phantasy Star Online 1 type of storyline. You know, a tad more grit and impending death rather than friendship, twin newman lolis, creepy manchicks and fainted amnesia girls. I mean fuck if you're gonna pull the amnesia stunt AGAIN Sega (COUGHCOUGH Sil'fer COUGHCOUGH), you might as well have just made the character interesting looking/sounding. At least silfer actually fit into the setting of the game.

But nope. Appeal to otaku and mass anime crowd. Perhaps some actual context and translation will change my opinion. But like i said, I was expecting something more along the lines of PSO's storyline. This one is starting to feel alot more like PSU. Which isn't a bad thing at all. It's just...i dont know, a tad disappointing?

Sort of like if you ordered a Pepperoni Pizza but got an Italian Sausage pizza instead. You've still got a delicious pizza, but...fuck i just wanted pepperoni man

Well...Jesus dude, that's what the Japanese like over there; they wouldn't keep making the same crap otherwise. It's kind of like why get an action-flick every summer or a CoD/BF every Fall--because we like it here (in America) as a majority, although maybe not everyone.

You can't expect Sega to be catering to the American/European/etc. crowd when it hasn't even been confirmed it would be coming out here. Even if it was, they're always going to cater to their own people first.

RocSage
May 2, 2012, 02:43 AM
win newman lolis,

Say one bad word about Tea and Patty and the world shall end you!

Enforcer MKV
May 2, 2012, 02:45 AM
Say one bad word about Tea and Patty and the world shall end you!

I can't be the only one who doesn't like them, right?

.....right?

Eggobandit
May 2, 2012, 03:00 AM
Well...Jesus dude, that's what the Japanese like over there; they wouldn't keep making the same crap otherwise. It's kind of like why get an action-flick every summer or a CoD/BF every Fall--because we like it here (in America) as a majority, although maybe not everyone.

You can't expect Sega to be catering to the American/European/etc. crowd when it hasn't even been confirmed it would be coming out here. Even if it was, they're always going to cater to their own people first.

Well I mean look, I personally shun Western storylines for the exact same reason. Im somewhat biased towards Western RPGs because they all have the same shit.

In NIPPON, we get creepy lolis, wacky hair, odd eye colors (for EXTRASPECIAL HERITAGE), amazing power of FRIENDSHIP plotlines and all that "MOE KAWAII DESU" shit. For us English folk, we get generic western medieval settings, generic dragons, generic armor, generic hero with generic old eurpoean accent, lady with impossibly curvy body and huge boobs, generic Dirt Brown and Gray color filter, and a shitload of boring dialogue choices.

80% of the reason me and friends jumped on PSO was because it was hilariously fun to multiplay. But the 20% that hooked us was the artstyle and the interesting storyline the game had. Its gameplay, artstyle and storytelling methods all had a wonderful cohesiveness with the final product. PSO2....well, it had me going for a second.

Music: Check. Animations : Check. Monsters: check. Environments: Check. Story characters : Suddenly, nothing seems to fit anymore.

All the sudden....these environments, monsters and ambient music dont seem to have much of an impact on me anymore when every fucking story character i run into looks like SHE (notice i said she) walked off the dimensional rift train from Otaku VN land. Almost nobody, and i do mean almost nobody on my partner card list looks like any sort of fighter, mercenary or otherwise "serious" character. There's like, Xeno and that one black guy. That's it.

So no, i do NOT expect them to cater to us at all. I just...i dont know, i want them to go back to the way it used to be. Even when Phantasy Star looked like the most generic of generic anime, it still had a uniqueness to it somewhere. But this series has been quickly losing every single shred of that ever since PSP2 released, and it doesn't want to slow down. PSO's ACTUAL storymode was generic and dumb as fuck but at least in the end i could still take the characters seriously. Sil'fer, Ino'lis and Kranz did the whole SUPER FRIENDSHIP bond thingy, but at the end of the day, i could still take them and their dumb drama seriously when i saw them go to war with the Arkz. (The EP III Arkz.)

But nnnooonnneeeee of this matters because i honestly dont know 2 farts about the story since i dont know nipponese.

Shakuri
May 2, 2012, 03:15 AM
I can't be the only one who doesn't like them, right?

.....right?

Nah, bitches totally killed my vibe.

ShadowDragon28
May 2, 2012, 04:02 AM
The power level of the verbal waaabulance, anime trope hate and overblown generalizations about PSO2's story and the hate-on for the NPC's (which Beta players have only seen a tiny portion of the story)... it's fucking over 9000. Seriously... :/

People act like the game is shoving My Little Pony:Friendship is HerpADerp in "Omg all this Animu shit form" down their fucking throats. FFS Some people here are taking the haterade to uneccessary levels, and barely a fraction of the story has even been shown.
Go watch Fight Club or something "serious"/non trope-ish or something people and take a damn chill pill. ffs

NoiseHERO
May 2, 2012, 04:08 AM
The power level of the verbal waaabulance, anime trope hate and overblown generalizations about PSO2's story and the hate-on for the NPC's (which Beta players have only seen a tiny portion of the story)... it's fucking over 9000. Seriously... :/

People act like the game is shoving My Little Pony:Friendship is HerpADerp in "Omg all this Animu shit form" down their fucking throats. FFS Some people here are taking the haterade to uneccessary levels, and barely a fraction of the story has even been shown.
Go watch Fight Club or something "serious"/non trope-ish or something people and take a damn chill pill. ffs

While I'm your side....

I guess.

Fight Club was serious...........??

Macras
May 2, 2012, 04:31 AM
im going to laugh if afin ends up a buff newman by the end of the story...

ShadowDragon28
May 2, 2012, 04:38 AM
It's just that barely 000.01% of the story had been shown, and some here are bashing the NPC's based on over-blown generalizations of them based on only a few small snippets of events. Some people act like they expect a Mass Effect or Star Craft kind of "omg mature and super serious" storyline delievered by all "serious" stoic characters with little to no personality other than "looking gritty and mature" and "kicking ass" like Gears of War. We'll this isn't Mass Effect or Gears of War. So people should go play that or replay PSO for the 10 millionth time or something.

The smart and sensible thing to do IMO is to be patient, and reserve judgement until an english translation/version is made available before out right bashing the characters and passing judgement on the storyline. Barely any of it has been shown. Some people here are ranting here like PSO 2 story is just Yu Gi Oh crap being shoved down their throats, when it really isn't.

Hayde
May 2, 2012, 05:00 AM
Eh, this is just the separation of Western culture and Eastern culture (well, it seems that Koreans are also branching in this sort of art-style, probably Chinese too). As far as character models are concerned, Japan has been shifting to pretty-boys and younger characters for a long time now, and it has been more than 10 years since PSO (makes you feel old, doesn't it?)

10 years ago, Anime was still a pretty big thing here in America and no one would have probably complained about looks--except maybe those guys who stole your lunch money in high school. While some of us may not subconsciously realize this, Western culture has more and more shifted into "war-esque" genres since then, FPS becoming the number best selling games (which is why we have seen a regression of traditional RPG's and other genres in gaming over here). We have come to love CoD, BF, and it seems like any movie that has big names and guns is likely going to make you millions.

This isn't really a cultural superiority topic, so I'm not going to make it that way--but you can really see how our cultures have even more segregated in the past decade. There is a reason that manga and anime characters have started to look more feminine (pretty boys) and why females are looking younger (arguably, loli's)--it's what's hot over there.

Loli's and pretty boys may be a turn off for many in the west, especially America--but by that same token, it's also why the Japanese are not a fan of FPS shooters or PvP-eccentric MMO's, it's just a matter how what they perceive as attractive, interesting, fun, and blah blah blah. You get what I'm trying to say.

We can spend the next 10, 20, even 30 pages complaining about how the game looks too anime-ish, or the story is too typical Japanese RPG--but I think we're blurring the lines here; we're not playing a game by Bioware or Blizzard here; this is a Japanese game made by a Japanese company. It'd be one thing to complain that World of Warcraft 2 looks too anime-like, or that the soldiers in BF4 looks too pretty...but that isn't the case here.

Blueblur
May 2, 2012, 06:24 AM

I couldn't agree more. I hate this anime tropes bullshit that they rely on.

Gardios
May 2, 2012, 08:09 AM
The smart and sensible thing to do IMO is to be patient, and reserve judgement until an english translation/version is made available before out right bashing the characters and passing judgement on the storyline..

Translation wouldn't stop Afin from being a whiny brat. You shouldn't even need his dialogue available in English to know that his whining is definitely not an endearing character trait. Sure, he might get better later on, but that doesn't change the fact that he left a terrible first impression.

Dycize
May 2, 2012, 08:51 AM
Guys.
Guyyyyyyys.
Seriously.
I think everyone understood the whole "Afin is whiny" and "anime tropes" thing since 5 pages ago. If not even earlier.
Go fight over opinions in PMs or somewhere else, there's barely any actual discussion here, it's people lecturing each other (I know that's what I'm doing currently, but at least try).
Also Jean is Master Asia so he's awesome.

Anyway.

Vol Dragon can talk? I didn't know that, when does he talk? Would that mean that he's a D&D-like dragon? Hmm... Lizardmen, a dragon leading them, sounds like a D&D plot actually, which is not a bad thing.

Oh also, in the 1-Up topic, someone mentionned Arks being the bad guys of PSO ep3, does someone have more information about that?

Dark Emerald EXE
May 2, 2012, 08:53 AM
Obviously Alfin will be like Ethan Waber from AOTI

Zyrusticae
May 2, 2012, 08:58 AM
Ohh, something new to learn from an internet teacher. Lets click this link shall we?

"90% of everything is crap"? Oh, i didn't need Mr. Sturgeon to tell me that, but whatever. Thank you for that wondrous and knowledgeable link to an opinion from a Science Fiction author. You're such a model citizen.
Point being that I am fucking sick and tired of people bashing anime for this shit when it's obviously something that's endemic to creative works as a whole. 90% of everything is crap, so you are not being edgy or making any sort of revelation by pointing out 90% of anime is crap, and if you automatically assume that the other 10% is also crap just because the other 90% is, we have a problem.

I'm pretty fucking sick of this shit, as you may have noticed by my overexcessive use of fucking profanity.

Fuck this shit and fuck this thread. I'm out.

Kinujou
May 2, 2012, 09:13 AM
so basically.....

Ash > Ethan > Alfin or Xeno?

Also Jean is Master Asia so he's awesome.

Jean for best npc ever!

NoiseHERO
May 2, 2012, 09:23 AM
Point being that I am fucking sick and tired of people bashing anime for this shit when it's obviously something that's endemic to creative works as a whole. 90% of everything is crap, so you are not being edgy or making any sort of revelation by pointing out 90% of anime is crap, and if you automatically assume that the other 10% is also crap just because the other 90% is, we have a problem.

I'm pretty fucking sick of this shit, as you may have noticed by my overexcessive use of fucking profanity.

Fuck this shit and fuck this thread. I'm out.

People always say 90% of anime is crap because it's a discussion about anime. If you bring up hollywood people will say 90% of hollywood's movies are crap. Basically bring up that wikipedia link is pointless because people already KNOW that 90% of everything is crap.

You're just making it painfully obvious that you're trying to defend anime by saying "EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST AS BAD" Also notice people say "TYPICAL" alot when talking about the bad in anime. Obviously that means that these people KNOW there's such thing as a good anime (even in this generation) But on the topic of PSO2, it's showing examples of taking TYPICAL things from bad anime.

Also your extremely enraged reaction won't do anything but fuel the the use of these cool points hungry opinions and boost their ego.

Everyone already subconsciously knows 90% of ANYTHING is bad, just that we're only talking about Japans media. Trying to get defensive for Anime and antagonizing people, probably thinking "PEOPLE ARE SAYING ONLY ANIME IS BAD" You're ASKING to put yourself in this frustrated state.

You gotta stop this, zyru. Or you'll never be a full fledged white knight.

Less Off-topic: Everyone shuddup! If you guys were awesome enough, you'd find reason to understand Ethan is hilarious, Afin gives you juice-I mean monomates and Ash is a boring loser that's not Kireek. So Ethan > Afin > Ash

On Topic: We're talking about the talking Vol dragon and his semi-intelligent lizard minions and the backstory behind PSO2 now!

So like.. why were we exploring planets again?

Dabian
May 2, 2012, 09:30 AM
I like anime. You don't have to. You don't like anime, I don't have to agree with you. There. World peace. :)

Seriously though, it's PSO. Not Lord of the Rings. Gotta consider the context and weigh your expectations accordingly. Obvious plot points? Obnoxious characters who nya/desu more than they punctuate? Seemingly random anime themes because they can? Butt-clenching moments of "what the [censored] is [insert character] doing OMFG?!".

Check, check, and more check. And that's why I love anime :)

Scotty T
May 2, 2012, 09:35 AM
Anime is a cartoon, not an oscar winning masterpiece. Most of them are fun to watch :P

Brimcon
May 2, 2012, 09:36 AM
Can we please return to the discussion of the plot and quit complaining about anime characters? it is incredibally off topic. No one really talked about the time loop or why Oracle is there.

I know we don't have much to go of of, and all we have is Alfin, Xeno and the others, but could we atleast discuss what they are doing rather than their attitudes?

Scotty T
May 2, 2012, 09:39 AM
Can we please return to the discussion of the plot and quit complaining about anime characters? it is incredibally off topic. No one really talked about the time loop or why Oracle is there.

I know we don't have much to go of of, and all we have is Alfin, Xeno and the others, but could we atleast discuss what they are doing rather than their attitudes?

Giving out free exp/meseta.

No seriously, how are we supposed to find out their role at the present time :-?

NoiseHERO
May 2, 2012, 09:40 AM
^
^ ^
^ ^ ^
^ ^ ^ ^
Welcome to PSO-W!!!!!

Seriously why can that dragon talk, and why did this space civilization even build a massive army? And could this... possibly like PSO have PSZ as a base...? (PSZ another good example of, boring typical anime characters, but an amazing story.)

LokinModar
May 2, 2012, 09:50 AM
I think Shion is a Duman according to the data-mining they found in the game structure even their progression table

Maybe she is a "bad rebirth" case which according to the table data mined from the game client IS possible to be in the game too. By looking at the tables we see a decrease in all stats for the classes

Nurusanura
May 2, 2012, 09:50 AM
Your guys' talk about anime characters...

...is lol. So let's see... House acts like an anime character, so does Dexter Morgan, Bruce Wayne, etc.

Characters are characters. Just because the game is Japanese and they speak Japanese, doesn't mean they are anime characters...

Dabian
May 2, 2012, 09:56 AM
The time loop wasn't surprising at all when it happened. But I guess I'm just to jaded on these sort of themes. What did surprise me though was the obvious effort put into the Seiyuu casting/dialogue.

It made predictable themes that much easier to partake in.

RocSage
May 2, 2012, 01:00 PM
I couldn't agree more. I hate this anime tropes bullshit that they rely on.

And I hate idiots that think "tropes" or "cliches" are in themselves bad. It clearly shows that they are deficient in the ability to think for themselves, think critically, and that they have no knowledge of literature, story telling, or being creative at all.

Isn't ironic that you all complain about the "whiny character trope" and how overused it is, even though it isn't, but that is all most of you are, whiny people complaining about the same thing that isn't true. So even if it were true it is just the art imitating you people and the reason you don't like it is because it is imitating you making the reason you dislike it isn't because of any critical thought but rather a feeling they are making fun of your stupidity?

As far as the story is concerned and having Afin there, I prefer PSO's tutorial mission with Kireek as it makes more sense to have an experienced person teach you stuff than a inexperienced person.

Xaton
May 2, 2012, 01:38 PM

I think I'll stop there.

well that explains the TRUNKS DBZ time travel mechanic lol XD

Gardios
May 2, 2012, 02:59 PM
Isn't ironic that you all complain about the "whiny character trope" and how overused it is, even though it isn't, but that is all most of you are, whiny people complaining about the same thing that isn't true. So even if it were true it is just the art imitating you people and the reason you don't like it is because it is imitating you making the reason you dislike it isn't because of any critical thought but rather a feeling they are making fun of your stupidity?

I couldn't care less if he's a trope personified or not, what matters is the end result. People (me at least) aren't complaining about Afin because he's a trope, they hate his guts because he's ****ing annoying and unbearable.

Eggobandit
May 2, 2012, 03:18 PM
But...you dont even know what hes saying

he could be talking about how boring and weak they look for all you know

or maybe he left his coffee pot on

Rauten
May 2, 2012, 03:22 PM
But...you dont even know what hes saying.

But that's just the thing; We feel irresistible urges to murder him, and we can't even tell what he's saying! That's just how stupidly irritating he is! His skill in annoying is so high it breaks language barriers!

Eggobandit
May 2, 2012, 03:22 PM
I think that just shows how powerful our unyielding ability to assume shit is

Enforcer MKV
May 2, 2012, 03:30 PM
His skill in annoying is so high it breaks language barriers!

Dang, my tolerance skill has gotta be sky-high, then, because he doesn't bug me in the slightest. >.>

...can I have a cookie or something for this? :P

goldwing
May 2, 2012, 03:40 PM
Idk i kinda like the kid his like a little brother to my char. Makes me miss sarisa and emilia but glad to have a younger starter char unlike yut.

Gardios
May 2, 2012, 03:49 PM
But...you dont even know what hes saying

he could be talking about how boring and weak they look for all you know

or maybe he left his coffee pot on

I know this was half kidding (and made me laugh lol), but don't forget that there actually are people who understand it. ;-)

Saotome Kaneda
May 2, 2012, 05:12 PM
As far as the story is concerned and having Afin there, I prefer PSO's tutorial mission with Kireek as it makes more sense to have an experienced person teach you stuff than a inexperienced person.

The problem here is that the (experienced) mission operator is the one telling you what to do during the tut mission. Afin is a newbie just like you, and is supposedly learning at the same time. I don't see anything wrong with that considering this was supposed to be a controlled environment.

The mission from what I gather was supposed to be a routine route for training newbies in fact, considering all the barriers in place. That's why Afin bugs out even more than the monkey he's never seen before outside of probably simulations and pictures, This Wasn't Supposed To Be Possible(tm). Right after that you see a random ranger get owned up. Everything's going wrong.

Despite what PSO has taught us, not everyone that joins a military-style force is actually prepared for real battle.

ShadowDragon28
May 2, 2012, 06:16 PM
The problem here is that the (experienced) mission operator is the one telling you what to do during the tut mission. Afin is a newbie just like you, and is supposedly learning at the same time. I don't see anything wrong with that considering this was supposed to be a controlled environment.

The mission from what I gather was supposed to be a routine route for training newbies in fact, considering all the barriers in place. That's why Afin bugs out even more than the monkey he's never seen before outside of probably simulations and pictures, This Wasn't Supposed To Be Possible(tm). Right after that you see a random ranger get owned up. Everything's going wrong.

Despite what PSO has taught us, not everyone that joins a military-style force is actually prepared for real battle.

One of the most intelligent and rational posts in this whole damn thread.
Also, like one other member posted, my tolerance skill aslo must be sky-high too, because Afynn doesn't bug me in the slightest either...
Some of the members posting it this thread sound like immature 12-17 yr olds.. Please go back to FailChan kiddies.

RocSage
May 2, 2012, 06:36 PM
One of the most intelligent and rational posts in this whole damn thread.
Also, like one other member posted, my tolerance skill aslo must be sky-high too, because Afynn doesn't bug me in the slightest either...
Some of the members posting it this thread sound like immature 12-17 yr olds.. Please go back to FailChan kiddies.

It doesn't bug me, but I think Kireek is better story wise because you can do more with him. The problem with Afin is that when they do that what the writers are doing is going "We're not telling your story we're telling this other characters' story" At the same time depending on where you're picking up the story Afin is between a completely real character to a completely unrealistic character.

We can take a guess that when you start you are not an Arks member, but rather an Arks candidate and you don't become a member until you get your MAG. We can also take a guess that Arks are more formally put together and so when you go on an "official" mission you don't really have the say of who you work with.

Now as far as your comments ShadowDragon, I remember a certain person, 5 years ago, whining about the definition of witch and warlock which most people, including me, would find quite a bit petulant and immature. Are you saying you've grown up or should we play the kettle/pot game?

NoiseHERO
May 2, 2012, 07:11 PM

This, and yeah I'm only HALF joking defending Afin. But his personality or... "TROPE-ISH CHARCTER" isn't even all that bad. Also there's a difference between a well used trope, and an over/badly used trope. You may have seen Afins personality a few times before in some anime. But not only do you not see it THAT much, but it's not even that annoying of a personality.

Would you rather him be some tall serious professional not afraid of anything guy that does exist in real life?

The point is, it was funny at first, but you guys are going to have to seriously admit that you're just trying to hard to hate Afin JUST because he's a young anime character, which is kind of ignorant when you only know visually what's going on and you're barely giving the character a chance But "ECHO AND XENO ARE OKAY." (they're actually kind of boring, and I hate their appearance but okay I'm not gonna shit on them and whine that they're boring.)

Like what the hell? people are better off farming for "please agree with me ;o;" points by going back to hating on PSU.

Anyway good job getting back on topic. It's okay if I ignore getting back on topic as long as I admit being a hypocrite just to prove a point though!

Omega-z
May 2, 2012, 07:20 PM
Hmm. what if Shion is Mother from PSO Ep.2. Explain's her Cast, bluieness look and demeanor. And this is already looking like a Pre-PSU, Post PSO & PSZ storyline.

ShadowDragon28
May 2, 2012, 07:35 PM
My hypothesis:

There will be "Dumans" are a race of human/Dark Falz essense that worship the Profound Darkness/Dark Falz, but some are free agents and want to stop the Cult of Dark Falz Dumans (I beleieve Shion is one of these pro Arcs anti-Falz Duman renegades or maybe a double agent i dont know)

I think that maybe Vol Dragon is very intelligent hive-queen of a Dragonian(Diminians) race of hunter-gatherers that have existed for many millenia and have battled the Darkers every thousand years when they appear again. (as in Dark Falz's cycle of manifesting every 900-1000 yrs). They (the Diminans) think Arcs are "corrupted by the Dark Falz" and see the Arks as invaders and very territorial and so attack and try to kill any Human/Numan/Cast that shows up in their territories.

NoiseHERO
May 2, 2012, 07:39 PM
Would be interesting if they brough secret rooms back (like the KFC thing or the pizza sisters) and you'd find a peaceful lizard people village, bwahahahaha!

Enforcer MKV
May 2, 2012, 07:42 PM
Would be interesting if they brough secret rooms back (like the KFC thing or the pizza sisters) and you'd find a peaceful lizard people village, bwahahahaha!

Actually, I like that idea...

Eggobandit
May 2, 2012, 08:18 PM

Seems legit.

Well, in PSO, it's not a case of joining the military. You start the game called in as an elite hunter, and the events of the game have been going on since before you even got deployed. Everyone is just in the dark about what you have to expect.

The Hunter's Guild is supposed to be composed of actual mercenaries. So most of them were actually worth something in combat.

PSU takes Ethan as a noob and promotes him to godtier by the end of the story. But I personally never really felt this, because nothing in PSU was really all that believable anyway. Ethan never looked like a fighter to me. I didn't really feel like Ethan was particularly badass until later episodes when you're forced to battle him and get raped.

PSO2 seems to be going the PSU route...which is where all my fear is, honestly. Not because it's gonna be like PSU, no. It's all because of the characters. I was able to take Ethan seriously in the END because his appearance actually began to grow with him. He goes from happy go hero, to fuigitive, to badass with a matrix coat and a Hanzo. Ethan sort of felt like he went from rebel teen to Badass by the end of PSU's storyline. I dont mean to jump any guns, but i honestly cannot see Afin doing this at any given point in the story. He's terribly short, is sporting the shonen hero kid look....i dont think he's going to really evolve anywhere unless we're given some sort of time skip. Which doesn't make me too excited either.

I just see it now -- Waltz into the Falz Seal room. Ruins 3 from PSO, breathing evil writhing organs everywhere, dark energy coarsing, evil looking enemies swarming around the place. And there is my Humar, fighting through all the grit....along with Afin (naruto), Echo (...young lumia) and whatever other 5'1" character they introduce throughout the events of the game.

NoiseHERO
May 2, 2012, 08:37 PM
I just see it now -- Waltz into the Falz Seal room. Ruins 3 from PSO, breathing evil writhing organs everywhere, dark energy coarsing, evil looking enemies swarming around the place. And there is my Humar, fighting through all the grit....along with Afin (naruto), Echo (...young lumia) and whatever other 5'1" character they introduce throughout the events of the game.

You actually have a point here, but this is also why I keep saying it's not the characters, but everything ELSE in the setting, concept and plot that's more interesting. And Afin still isn't NEARLY as bad as any other sidekicks PSU gave you. I HATED teaming up with laia loud boobgirl and lumia. @_@

So at least these character are a little more down to earth, which usually works out in JRPG's.

Eggobandit
May 2, 2012, 08:44 PM
Laia was cool enough. Maya was actually a really good character, they just tried WAY too hard to make her sexy, seriously. It ruined everything about her.

Lumia was...a stupid character. Even moreso stupid that out of her Episode 3 noobdom, she grew up into an elitist asshole, yet wasnt the main character of Portable 2, which actually would have been a wonderful idea.

NoiseHERO
May 2, 2012, 11:19 PM
YES!

Knew dragon people were intelligent. 8D

Infiniteque
May 2, 2012, 11:20 PM
First off, what in the world does FKL mean?

Secondly, I'm not throwing in the towel on PSO2's story so soon. All they have to do is make it a REAL sequel and I'll be happy.

What I mean is, references to Rico and Flowen, the entire Episode III story, and just... let's talk about what happened with Ragol. Speaking of which.... has it even been confirmed that PSO2 is taking place on Ragol at all yet?

I just want more PSO in my PSO2.

jmanx
May 2, 2012, 11:29 PM
Everytiem Shion talks to me sounds like she wants to sex me

yoshiblue
May 2, 2012, 11:30 PM
Who knows, maybe Afin will crack and turn into a mindless killer.

Eggobandit
May 2, 2012, 11:32 PM
that'd be the best thing on earth

NoiseHERO
May 2, 2012, 11:37 PM
Who knows, maybe Afin will crack and turn into a mindless killer.

I would actually like him less, because then he WOULD be an overused trope. "LOL I'M A SHOUNEN KID THAT MAGICALLY TURNS PSYCHOTIC AND POWERFUL AT RANDOM!"

I'd much rather he go the Krillin route. But something tells me you'll be rescuing him a lot... D:

yoshiblue
May 2, 2012, 11:40 PM
Better then him having a man crush on you. With him only following you everywhere you go and no one else.

Edit: Not saying that he does. The dood doesn't bug me. Like someone said before, hes like the little bro you have to watch out for.

soulpimpwizzurd
May 2, 2012, 11:41 PM

lold man oh jeeze

Kion
May 3, 2012, 02:00 AM
I have some free time, so I`ll try to keep translations coming. Here`s chapter 0 part 1. Note these are not literal translations, I tried to keep what each character says consistent with their personality (Prikida needs some work), so language-wise it`s not 100% the same, but still mostly correct in context.

Chapter 0

Afin: My name is Afin, it's good to meet you partner.
Afin: What are you looking around for? I mean you, partner.
Afin: Even though we ended up grouped together by coincidence, let`s get along.
Afin: I maybe sounding a little too polite, but I`m being sincere

Option
*"okay"
-"did you say something?"

Afin: Because of that 10 years ago, thre are a lot less ARKS. Looks like they`re desperately trying to get more recruits.
Afin: I dont really care, I have my own things I want to do.
Prikida: Transfer coordinates setting complete. Arks please dispatch at once.
Afin: Okay, we`re ready to go. Looks like an easy area for beginners like us. Let`s go.

~Goes down to forest~
Afin: Wow, which ever way you look, everything is green. Pretty exciting stuff.
Afin: Sorry, I shouldn`t get too caught up.

Afin: Hey we`re still new to combat, would you like to hear basic operation functions?

~Monkey Encounter~
Afin: That`s a native primate? He looks pretty energetic. Or wait, is he coming this way?
Afin: It doesn`t matter how you look at it, he doesn`t look like he wants to be friends. Partner, looks like we have to fight it.

Afin: Looks like we made it somehow. But still more of this is waiting for us in the next area.
Afin: It`s not like I want to fight, but that`s beside the point. We have our orders, so let`s keep moving.

~Beginning of Block 2~
Afin: Looks like we got past the first stage, starting to get used to this.
Afin: How about you? Are you getting used to it? Except you`re much better than me, so it`s wishful thinking for me to be concerned about you.
Afin: I became and ARKs to look for someone
Afin: That`s why I really don`t care about fighting, exam results or anything
Afin: Say partner, why did you decide to enter ARKs?
Afin: What`s going on?
----------------------------------------------------------
Prikida: We have an emergency report to all ARKs members. On planet Naberius a code D has been put into effect. Photon particles have reached hazardous levels.
Prikida: I repeat, on Naberious a code D is in effect.
Space corrosion have been observed.
Afin: Hey! Look at that!
Afin: This can`t be happening, black creatures are just appearing out of nowhere.
Afin: And what are these ominous photons?
Prikida: Darker appearance observed.
Acceptable levels have been breached.
A top priority order has been dispatched, all ARKs members are to dispense the darkers.
Afin: These are darkers? ARK`s enemy, the universe`s enemy. They consume everything.
Afin: Why!? These things aren`t supposed to be on Naberious.
Afin: Break through? How do you expect break through this many darkers?
Afin: Shit, I know that`s the only option. I guess we just have to do it.
Afin: If we`re able to get in touch with another team we might have a chance.
Afin: Here goes nothing.
Afin: That went better than expected, if we`ve come this far, they probably wont chase us.
Afin: Damn, more appeared.
Afin: I guess we`ll just have to fight.

Dark Emerald EXE
May 3, 2012, 02:07 AM
If they do an expansion to game I see alfin gettin a mood change...after all by then he'd be more use to stuff and more mature...
Minus that he lacks Rebellious/adventrous trait he somewhat reminds me of how Ethan was in the first part of PSU for some reason :o

NoiseHERO
May 3, 2012, 02:12 AM
SEE?

Afin doesn't sound THAT wimpy, he already vaguely said he had reasons for joining arkz other than fighting, he's a new guy starting out just like you. He's a little panicky but it's realistic given the situation, and he's generally a nice kid from the sounds of just wanting to get along with you. Also "guess we'll just have to fight" even seeing it without the translation, he's scared but he doesn't punk out.

Though at first I DID pick the 2nd choice where your character responds ignoring him, and I THINK this game's story you can have multiple pathways through it, So there'll probably be plenty of times where you can work without Afin if you hate him THAT much, or even become a badguy. (that'd be cool.) D:

Also thanks for the translation Kion.

Rath-Kun
May 3, 2012, 02:13 AM

Those water legs.

Kion
May 3, 2012, 02:23 AM
Afin doesn't sound THAT wimpy, he already vaguely said he had reasons for joining arkz other than fighting, he's a new guy starting out just like you. He's a little panicky but it's realistic given the situation, and he's generally a nice kid from the sounds of just wanting to get along with you. Also "guess we'll just have to fight" even seeing it without the translation, he's scared but he doesn't punk out.

The content of what he says isn't too bad. It mostly his whiny pussy voice that makes me want to pump his skull full of photon bullets. But I think he's this generation's Ash. I agree he'll probably come back later being less of an embarrassment to humanity.

Also thanks for the translation Kion.
No problem.^^;

Sakarisei
May 3, 2012, 03:16 AM
I'm very thankful with your translation Kion. Now i've got more information of darkers thanks for your work. If you don't mind, can you translate the rest of the chapter 0?

Greetings and thanks.

Rauten
May 3, 2012, 09:46 AM
Ash came back with that doublesaber though....

...and he was still a moron "oh, look how much I've grown!" go die on a fire, please.

Chik'Tikka
May 3, 2012, 03:38 PM
[spoiler-box]
I have some free time, so I`ll try to keep translations coming. Here`s chapter 0 part 1. Note these are not literal translations, I tried to keep what each character says consistent with their personality (Prikida needs some work), so language-wise it`s not 100% the same, but still mostly correct in context.

Chapter 0

Afin: My name is Afin, it's good to meet you partner.
Afin: What are you looking around for? I mean you, partner.
Afin: Even though we ended up grouped together by coincidence, let`s get along.
Afin: I maybe sounding a little too polite, but I`m being sincere

Option
*"okay"
-"did you say something?"

Afin: Because of that 10 years ago, thre are a lot less ARKS. Looks like they`re desperately trying to get more recruits.
Afin: I dont really care, I have my own things I want to do.
Prikida: Transfer coordinates setting complete. Arks please dispatch at once.
Afin: Okay, we`re ready to go. Looks like an easy area for beginners like us. Let`s go.

~Goes down to forest~
Afin: Wow, which ever way you look, everything is green. Pretty exciting stuff.
Afin: Sorry, I shouldn`t get too caught up.

Afin: Hey we`re still new to combat, would you like to hear basic operation functions?

~Monkey Encounter~
Afin: That`s a native primate? He looks pretty energetic. Or wait, is he coming this way?
Afin: It doesn`t matter how you look at it, he doesn`t look like he wants to be friends. Partner, looks like we have to fight it.

Afin: Looks like we made it somehow. But still more of this is waiting for us in the next area.
Afin: It`s not like I want to fight, but that`s beside the point. We have our orders, so let`s keep moving.

~Beginning of Block 2~
Afin: Looks like we got past the first stage, starting to get used to this.
Afin: How about you? Are you getting used to it? Except you`re much better than me, so it`s wishful thinking for me to be concerned about you.
Afin: I became and ARKs to look for someone
Afin: That`s why I really don`t care about fighting, exam results or anything
Afin: Say partner, why did you decide to enter ARKs?
Afin: What`s going on?
Prikida: We have an emergency report to all ARKs members. On planet Naberius a code D has been put into effect. Photon particles have reached hazardous levels.
Prikida: I repeat, on Naberious a code D is in effect.
Space corrosion have been observed.
Afin: Hey! Look at that!
Afin: This can`t be happening, black creatures are just appearing out of nowhere.
Afin: And what are these ominous photons?
Prikida: Darker appearance observed.
Acceptable levels have been breached.
A top priority order has been dispatched, all ARKs members are to dispense the darkers.
Afin: These are darkers? ARK`s enemy, the universe`s enemy. They consume everything.
Afin: Why!? These things aren`t supposed to be on Naberious.
Afin: Break through? How do you expect break through this many darkers?
Afin: Shit, I know that`s the only option. I guess we just have to do it.
Afin: If we`re able to get in touch with another team we might have a chance.
Afin: Here goes nothing.
Afin: That went better than expected, if we`ve come this far, they probably wont chase us.
Afin: Damn, more appeared.
Afin: I guess we`ll just have to fight.[/spoiler-box]

Thank you for this!! Afin makes a bit more sense now!! but why does he half to *talk*?f if it was all just text I'd like him a lot more+^_^+ or if he was voiced by Richard Epcar!!! (GITS Batou English voice over)