PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys. Females!

StingArt
May 6, 2012, 10:30 AM
I've been play PSO since the GC era, there where people going around with female avatars, back then i really believed that they where females, i was 10 y/o at the time what did i know.

Playing my hunter while :ak: em all down. "NOT LOOKS BUT STATS NOOB". Yeah, NO KB.

Almost any picture and movie that i see has a female starring the show, and thats not promotion from Sega's side, no. Its from you guys, creating females making them look cute and even talking, acting and typing like females not only in the game, but on the forums as well. Do you guys have a little source of feminine energy deep down inside yourselves or what? Because i'm only finding awesomeness, rage and much, much more chaotic madness that i love to embrace.

Pillan
May 6, 2012, 10:34 AM
I've always found the single simplest way to explain the phenomenon is this:

"Whose butt would you rather stare at for the thousands of hours you will invest in this game?"

Taitu
May 6, 2012, 10:36 AM

"Whose butt would you rather stare at for the thousands of hours you will invest in this game?"

Welp, I don't know about you but when I make a male character I'm not staring at his ass.

maxx69
May 6, 2012, 10:39 AM
Welp, I don't know about you but when I make a male character I'm not staring at his ass.

Hard to believe when it's pointed at you the whole time.

Macman
May 6, 2012, 10:40 AM

This argument holds no water unless you are pretty bad at the game. You gotta be focused on the monsters coming to kick your ass instead of staring at said ass.

Unless you're a lobby whore, in which I look down upon you.

Taitu
May 6, 2012, 10:43 AM
Hard to believe when it's pointed at you the whole time.

Perhaps a measly 2% of the entire screen real estate. There's plenty more things on the screen, mostly the environment, which are far more interesting and hold my attention than my character's ass.

Scotty T
May 6, 2012, 10:45 AM
Just look at Hunewearls in PSO1, its like your eyes are magnets.

Macman
May 6, 2012, 10:46 AM
PSO1 HUnewearls have perpetual wedgie problems. D:

Scotty T
May 6, 2012, 10:47 AM
And back problems :P

Peejay
May 6, 2012, 10:47 AM
I intend to have a female main just out of admiration of a character I've seen online. I have no intention of messing with anyone unless they delude themselves first into thinking I have a vag.

I've stated before as soon as I get character slots, I'll be prepping a male character, and they'll both be getting pretty much the same attention.

.. But that would be determined by how they work the servers.

Also, staring at butts? I don't think so. I normally keep my eyes locked on my weapon, and my enemies. My heinie is going to be fine.

NoiseHERO
May 6, 2012, 10:58 AM
If you're a dude playing as a female character you want to express your feminine side and take advantage of the way people treat girls nicer and you're a tranny that wants dicks, or you only stare at your character's ass instead of the back of their head because you can't get "RL" girls.

If you're a dude playing as hid OWN gender, a male character. You automatically like man ass because everyone in the world is uncomfortable with their sexuality...

By the logic of both sides of the argument, Sounds like you lose no matter which one you pick, But at least if you pick a male character you'll be a pitcher and not a catcher.

Not giving a shit and not taking videogames seriously wins again!!!

Just wanted to say that before this thread is FKL'd/deleted.

Chik'Tikka
May 6, 2012, 11:00 AM
my response when confronted with people like this is "this isn't e-harmony, go down to the local bar and pick up a girl if your that desperate" as we're on forums...
http://www.eharmony.com/home/get-started/condensed/?gclid=CKiOifuD7K8CFSWFQAodYTzjzQ&mt=e&keyword=e+harmony&aid=1001&pcrid=9329357739&cid=66103&kid=GOGs3ijAy9Gq
+^_^+
in other words, who cares what people play as? it's a video game.+^_^+

NoiseHERO
May 6, 2012, 11:02 AM
eharrmony is for 30 year olds.

desperate 14-28 year olds using online games as their e-harmony.

Has the same "failure to hook up with anybody" rate and everything!

Cyrusnagisa
May 6, 2012, 11:06 AM
No clue about others, but I have played female characters in online games (and games that give you the choice) since ....well Ultima Online ;p

I don't act female on forums or even in game, I act as I always do, even though I admit I am a bit more feminine online then RL. I mainly just like the fact that most of the time, female cloths are designed better in games, and I don't care how weak the argument is, my characters butt is awesome ^.^

Cayenne
May 6, 2012, 11:09 AM
I said this in another post:

Can't a guy pick a female character to play just...well...because? That's why I play one, just because I can.

Sorry folks, it ain't deeper than that

No one questions us for playing metroid but when there's an option to pick a sex then oh no, something is wrong with us.

And as for those acting and talking like a girl, then yeah that's something else...

Also, Welcome to the Forum StringArt!

Taitu
May 6, 2012, 11:11 AM
I said this in another post:

And as for those acting and talking like a girl, then yeah that's something else...

Also, Welcome to the Forum StringArt!

I don't have an issue with males playing female characters. I just find it silly when they feel the need to defend their decision for it.

Griffin
May 6, 2012, 11:12 AM
I make a girl because I can never make a cool-looking guy. All the sexiness and stuff is just a joke on my part.

FenixStryk
May 6, 2012, 11:15 AM
I'm not really sure what the OP even wants as a response, but it looks like you guys shifted it into a "Why do guys play female characters?" thread. As such:

Reasons to play a female character:
-You like it.
-You are a female and see yourself as your character.
-You like having an extra element of fondness when you look at your character.
-You like having control over or "dominating" the fairer sex.
-You like seeing a strong woman beat up monsters.
-You like having an advantage in socioeconomic situations.
-You like it.

Reasons not to play a female character:
-You don't like it.

As for "acting like a girl to get free stuff"? Honestly, it doesn't even take that. All it takes is a female avatar and manners. I'm not one for cutesy talk, but I still get my fair share of suitors. It seems a pretty face with a good mindset is all it takes to fool the lot...

Pillan
May 6, 2012, 11:18 AM
There is one other reason for playing a female character that you forgot: maximizing output. The highest damage Ranger and Force are Caseal and female Newman, respectively.

kudo
May 6, 2012, 11:18 AM
Because I think it looks better. Do I really need a reason?

serenade
May 6, 2012, 11:28 AM
i've never liked the idea of using female characters unless they stood out. never got into the feminine side of it. i just cant see myself making a "cute" female character.

now a badass looking one, that would push me to make a female character. the HUcaseal i plan to create looks like an awesome ninja/droid.

usually i make male characters because i'm a male, and i can see myself attacking, killing, and doing similar things if i were put in his situations. it's easier for me to identify with.

she still wont be a main, and will probably be used the least, but i've at least branched out a little by making her.

and if you're staring at your characters features more than what's in front of you on the battle field, then well, good luck getting that pretty ass of yours kicked.

Cayenne
May 6, 2012, 11:31 AM
I'm not really sure what the OP even wants as a response, but it looks like you guys shifted it into a "Why do guys play female characters?" thread.

I think you're right hahaha.

And below me will come 5 more post also about playing as a female. Let's hope people read this before it get's out of control and hi-jack the thread.

Peejay
May 6, 2012, 11:35 AM
Well, if we want to talk about GRRL GAMERZ, yes, there seems to be a fair amount. Prepare to be disappointed, though, since they're all lesbians. That's just how it works.

Really, though, there's been females around for as long as I can remember on any game. On one, there was a fan of a really popular character. So much so that she was like, officially his fan. And it lead to videos circling the community.

I feel kind of sorry for them.

Sizustar
May 6, 2012, 11:35 AM
Why does it matter on how someone else play or design their character?

Does your own character design and gender choice require a commitee vote, then asking for opinion from other people because you can't make your own decision?
Or do you need to feel better about yourself by making fun or looking down on other people's character based on the character gender or design(Cool vs. Cute, Male vs. female)

It's your character, you decide on what fits for you, if other people have an issue, that's their own issue and they can shape their own character, not your character.

NoiseHERO
May 6, 2012, 11:37 AM
I think you're right hahaha.

And below me will come 5 more post also about playing as a female. Let's hope people read this before it get's out of control and hi-jack the thread.

Like I said

Not caring: 234234123412351245 Caring: -342314

soulpimpwizzurd
May 6, 2012, 11:41 AM
Like I said

Not caring: 234234123412351245 Caring: -342314

ma waiz cuzins solooshuns: jus be ignant al day eryday

And I agree wholeheartedly with his intellectual input. He is correct.

buri-chan
May 6, 2012, 11:41 AM
So what's the shorthand for cross-players for PSO? For Newmen I like the ring of MAnewearls.

Priest
May 6, 2012, 11:43 AM
It's just wrong guys! I can't be the only one at an impressionable 12 years old who fell in love with his first HUne and confessed his love, only to be told "Dude, I'm a guy" TT_TT

Mag-X
May 6, 2012, 11:45 AM
It all comes down to how you see your character. Some people think of their character as themselves. They like to pretend they are in the game. These are usually the people who can't understand why you would play a character whose gender is opposite of their own.

Then there are people like me. My character is just a character in a game. It isn't me, and I don't feel for it or have any desire to roll play as it. As a straight male, I like cute girls, so I make my characters cute girls. I personally have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to play as an ugly muscle dude.

Peejay
May 6, 2012, 11:52 AM
It all comes down to how you see your character. Some people think of their character as themselves. They like to pretend they are in the game. These are usually the people who can't understand why you would play a character whose gender is opposite of their own.

Then there are people like me. My character is just a character in a game. It isn't me, and I don't feel for it or have any desire to roll play as it. As a straight male, I like cute girls, so I make my characters cute girls. I personally have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to play as an ugly muscle dude.

DON'T MESS THE POMP, CHUMP.

darkante
May 6, 2012, 11:58 AM
I´m not too picky on what gender i pick on my characters.
It´s harder for me to decide on playing as the cool guy or the hot chick in general.

Like me choosing between a Hucast/Ramar or Hunewearl/Beast chick.
That would be painful if i had to settle with one character.

Kazzi
May 6, 2012, 12:07 PM
Well, if we want to talk about GRRL GAMERZ, yes, there seems to be a fair amount. Prepare to be disappointed, though, since they're all lesbians. That's just how it works.

That's news to me.

Honestly, what difference does it make which gender you play as? (well, sside from the stats being slightly different). I always make a female myself but I usually have a male alt just because "why not?" Probably not the best reasoning so maybe I should go with the "who's ass do you want to be staring at" one instead.

Cayenne
May 6, 2012, 12:10 PM
TBH I rarely see guys that pick females act like a female. They (from what I've seen) act like every other person that pick a male.

If anything I see people making the most sexiest character in the game and act like sluts.

kudo
May 6, 2012, 12:14 PM
What does that have to do with anything?

Cayenne
May 6, 2012, 12:18 PM
She's asking why we act like girls sometimes with our girl avatar/character and I'm saying I never see that happen.

Freshellent
May 6, 2012, 12:19 PM
This topic is a bomb waiting to happen.

At the risk of this continuing to go the wrong direction I'll say this:

I play both genders of characters, and it's completely indifferent to me who's ass I'm looking at because if it looks good, it looks good. Most people that have known me a while know I'm really just whatever on the subject. I primarily played a male newman on the CBT. I'm a 100% straight male and I'll be the first to tell you my character has a nice ass. I mean really, he's pretty pleasant to look at.

[spoiler-box]
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x363/ImperfectBlock/Phantasy%20Star%20Online%202%20Characters/shimmersparkle.png[/spoiler-box]

Pillan
May 6, 2012, 12:25 PM
I'm a 100% straight male and I'll be the first to tell you my character has a nice ass. I mean really, he's pretty pleasant to look at.

[spoiler-box]
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x363/ImperfectBlock/Phantasy%20Star%20Online%202%20Characters/shimmersparkle.png[/spoiler-box]

Unfortunately, the picture displayed is a bit too high and on the wrong side to prove your point about his rear.

Rath-Kun
May 6, 2012, 12:29 PM
Some people just assume its a girl because its a female avatar.

I will be playing as two female characters and not to pretend to be one, but for the stats. <-<;

Since female CAST and female Newman will have the highest respective stat in their attacking categories. (Tech and Ranged)

Cayenne
May 6, 2012, 12:32 PM
You know what I just noticed, guys don't ask each other about these kind of things.

BIG OLAF
May 6, 2012, 12:32 PM
Said it in the other thread, I'll say it again:

I play mostly women characters because I like playing "Barbie: Virtual Warrior Princess Dress-up" on the side of beating up enemies.

Yes, I take joy in it. No, I'm not ashamed.

But, my characters are mostly at least semi-mature women. I dislike little girls and/or "loli" characters. That's not what I'm about.

[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/wEJVp.jpg[/spoiler-box]

....and also, as I said prior, anyone who says "LOL I just dun wanna stare at a DOODS ass HA" is just being silly.

Here's hoping this topic doesn't get derailed into to a "omg vidya gaemz objectify the shit out of women waaaah" implosion.

moorebounce
May 6, 2012, 12:37 PM
For me I figure every female avatar is controlled by a male until they prove other-wise. I don't ask for said proof either because I could care less. I use both male and female avatars.

Women playing videogames are like women truck drivers. Once male players find out what sex they are it starts getting wierd. Guys start thinking they found their soulmate and start falling all over themselves to try and get at her or they'll start to be really mean to them. My wife went through that when I got her to play R6V2 (and other games) on XBL.

Cypher_9
May 6, 2012, 12:42 PM
Well, aside from the famed answer that is used, speaking only for myself - primarily, I do it for the stories I develop. Secondary reason was by not having a female avatar before. Third... I like girls o3o

Anyway, I have made male characters first to represent myself and have done it for a few MMO's, least with MMO's I am/was engaged with at the time in their years: PSO, PSU, WoW, etc. With games that had gender locked classes at their time, I didn't have a choice but to be one, like Dungeon Fighter Online, I chosen the female fighter since I always start off as / wanted a melee on MMO's (I know there was the SLAYER/GHOST KNIGHT, GUNNER and PRIEST but I didn't want to be that at the time), this was BEFORE the male fighter came out. On Vindictus, I wanted to be the 'sage' class for a change of pace on that game and their tier was gender locked at well.

But, yeah... good times with certain encounters... ; ; (LOL)

BIG OLAF
May 6, 2012, 12:43 PM
Women playing videogames are like women truck drivers. Once male players find out what sex they are it starts getting wierd. Guys start thinking they found their soulmate and start falling all over themselves to try and get at her or they'll start to be really mean to them. My wife went through that when I got her to play R6V2 (and other games) on XBL.

Sad but true! Happened countless times on PSU, and other games.

If they think/know you're a guy:

"Come on, asshole. Get into the mission counter. You're taking forever!"

If they think/know you're a girl:

"Oh, it's cool! Take your time! .....hey, you want any free items?!?"

I treat everyone the same everywhere, regardless of their sex (most times; it depends on the situation). I don't kiss ass or schmooze, and I laugh at guys who do. Fellas, seriously, get over it. They aren't there to get courted on a fucking video game. They're there to play it just like you. Stop bothering them.

Kent
May 6, 2012, 12:46 PM
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/5010/theleastofyourproblems.png

Anyone who's played PSO (or even PSU) that there's actually a statistical reason to want to play a female character. HUnewearls and RAmarls were the specific hybrid characters amongst the Hunters and Rangers, which gives the character a distinct playstyle and set of capabilities different from their more-specialized counterparts. It just so happens that they're female.

Also: Playing an RPG does not mean that you're role-playing. Because as it turns out, role-playing games don't actually involve role-playing any more so than any other game out there. It's funny how that works out.

Rauten
May 6, 2012, 01:13 PM
My wife went through that when I got her to play R6V2 (and other games) on XBL.

You exposed your wife to XBL? Have you no heart or mercy?

NoiseHERO
May 6, 2012, 01:19 PM
Sad but true! Happened countless times on PSU, and other games.

If they think/know you're a guy:

"Come on, asshole. Get into the mission counter. You're taking forever!"

If they think/know you're a girl:

"Oh, it's cool! Take your time! .....hey, you want any free items?!?"

I treat everyone the same everywhere, regardless of their sex (most times; it depends on the situation). I don't kiss ass or schmooze, and I laugh at guys who do. Fellas, seriously, get over it. They aren't there to get courted on a fucking video game. They're there to play it just like you. Stop bothering them.

I treat people based on their personalities, a lot of girls won't usually have "YOUR DICK JOKES ARE FUNNY BRO" personalities. I wouldn't say I'm nicer to girls, I'd say I'm a different kind of nice to girls, unless they're more tomboyish and DO indeed want to hear my dick jokes. At the same time I'd treat a guy with a more feminine personality the same way I'd treat a typical girl.

But if I've known you for longer than 5 nano seconds you're gonna get used to my all caps(I hold shift, losers) and you're gonna like it.

PSO Addict
May 6, 2012, 01:20 PM
Back on PSO, I picked FOneweral because she had higher magic, but I would be lieing if I said as a teenage boy that I didn't want to play as a girl. This time, I look forward to my nerdy male force.

BIG OLAF
May 6, 2012, 01:23 PM
(I hold shift, losers)

This. Put it in your signature. Now.

But, I agree. I treat people based on their individual personalities. If someone's a dick, I'll treat them like a dick, regardless of who they are. If someone's nice, I'll return the kindness. It's simple.

Peejay
May 6, 2012, 01:30 PM
I treat people based on their personalities, a lot of girls won't usually have "YOUR DICK JOKES ARE FUNNY BRO"

Nope. Wrong. Most girls like it because any humour is good humour. Unless you happen to be telling a joke that rivals Hitler in how misanthropic it is, you're usually in the clear.

But if I've known you for longer than 5 nano seconds you're gonna get used to my all caps(I hold shift, losers) and you're gonna like it.

Can't nope hard enough.

Other than that, guys and girls are pretty mcuh all the same. It's not exactly a big floppy vajayjay on the other end, it's another player, and you should probably treat them like they're all CASTs, just to be safe. I make some exceptions, due to a lot of my friends having exceptionally terrible health.

Pillan
May 6, 2012, 01:40 PM
I would like to personally take this opportunity to thank the creator of this thread for providing me with new statistical evidence that only men who like asses have peripheral vision.

NoiseHERO
May 6, 2012, 01:41 PM
Nope. Wrong. Most girls like it because any humour is good humour. Unless you happen to be telling a joke that rivals Hitler in how misanthropic it is, you're usually in the clear.

Can't nope hard enough.

Other than that, guys and girls are pretty mcuh all the same. It's not exactly a big floppy vajayjay on the other end, it's another player, and you should probably treat them like they're all CASTs, just to be safe. I make some exceptions, due to a lot of my friends having exceptionally terrible health.

I was actually using dick jokes for example for a typical male college student douche bag sense of humor personality and how I'd treat them as such. And I say most, because most girls I know kind of just space out or don't really pay attention when me or my other friend's sense of humor get's kind of vulgar.

Boob jokes on the other hand.

Also if you could comprehend the concept of holding shift for maximum awesomeness, maybe you'd know about the manwhore music video, and you wouldn't be trying to antagonize me right now, EHN?

YEAH, NOW GO WATCH IT, BECAUSE I KNOW YOU HAVEN'T, WATCH THE OTHER VIDEOS FOR IT AS WELL BECAUSE GREASYMOOSE IS AWESOME!

soulpimpwizzurd
May 6, 2012, 01:53 PM
For me I figure every female avatar is controlled by a male until they prove other-wise. I don't ask for said proof either because I could care less. I use both male and female avatars.

i find this to be the most true. the chillest chicks i play with are the ones i think are guys/i didn't know they were girls.

in all honesty i've found girls that play games that pretend to be guys/don't act girly (spamming emoticon faces or whatever) the most enjoyable to play with.

i really don't take kindly to chicks who are overly open about how they're a girl on the internet. cool, you're female. ok. what am i supposed to do with this ground breaking, new found information? oh right- nothing. i will continue as i was.

it's obnoxious and chances are super high they're landwhale status/not very attractive.

it's fine if they drop the news they're a chick somehow in someway like once or twice. as in ever. like if it just somehow comes up in a conversation and there's really no way to avoid it. i guess.

but if i think about it, i rarely meet dudes that say

"guy gamers unite ^_^"
or
"i'm a guy btw :))"

guys typically don't need to say they're guys, ever, in games. and i guess you could say cause it's obvious most people on online games are gonna be dudes. but because of this, it leads to the belief (not necessarily true in all cases, but from my personal experiences, most cases) that:

if a girl playing a game ends up somehow implying or saying that she is female, she wants to be treated/known as differently. she wants it to be known she is not a dude. as to why she wants it to be known she is not a dude, that's all personal opinion, but i stick with the main reasoning being that she wants to be treated differently.

but now i'm treading on turbulent waters so i'll leave it at that looool. do note i did not make any completely 100% this or that statement. i just said most, as in "most girls tend to be/ do etc." not all. there are outliers in all situations. never is anything always only one or the other, in terms of describing things related to humans.

@rock i like his captain planet video. it made me laugh a lot. i pesonally like ukinojoe's video on king of the hill and how bobby became a brony though.

FOkyasuta
May 6, 2012, 02:09 PM
Eherm.

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab103/2Fast4u13/theleastofyourproblems.png

NoiseHERO
May 6, 2012, 02:10 PM
i find this to be the most true. the chillest chicks i play with are the ones i think are guys/i didn't know they were girls.

in all honesty i've found girls that play games that pretend to be guys/don't act girly (spamming emoticon faces or whatever) the most enjoyable to play with.

i really don't take kindly to chicks who are overly open about how they're a girl on the internet. cool, you're female. ok. what am i supposed to do with this ground breaking, new found information? oh right- nothing. i will continue as i was.

it's obnoxious and chances are super high they're landwhale status/not very attractive.

it's fine if they drop the news they're a chick somehow in someway like once or twice. as in ever. like if it just somehow comes up in a conversation and there's really no way to avoid it. i guess.

"guy gamers unite ^_^"
or

guys typically don't need to say they're guys, ever, in games. and i guess you could say cause it's obvious most people on online games are gonna be dudes. but because of this, it leads to the belief (not necessarily true in all cases, but from my personal experiences, most cases) that:

if a girl playing a game ends up somehow implying or saying that she is female, she wants to be treated/known as differently. she wants it to be known she is not a dude. as to why she wants it to be known she is not a dude, that's all personal opinion, but i stick with the main reasoning being that she wants to be treated differently.

but now i'm treading on turbulent waters so i'll leave it at that looool. do note i did not make any completely 100% this or that statement. i just said most, as in "most girls tend to be/ do etc." not all. there are outliers in all situations. never is anything always only one or the other, in terms of describing things related to humans.

@rock i like his captain planet video. it made me laugh a lot. i pesonally like ukinojoe's video on king of the hill and how bobby became a brony though.

This is true, in the end some girls in online games like the special attention. I played one game and I was in a guild, the leader was a girl and she'd invite ONLY guys. I found it increasinly suspicious that they all seemed to have a THING for her. I was/still am friends with this girl so I tried to avoid bringing it up, but let's just say that she HAS led people on like that before...

In fact I hope she doesn't know PSOW exists and reads this-BUT ANYWAY guys aren't much better...

PSU even had FAMOUS trannies and they were famous BEFORE people found out they lied about being girls... D: /shivers

Also now I have to watch that ukinojoe vid later D:

StingArt
May 6, 2012, 02:12 PM
I'm using male characters because i can express myself much better with them. I like the thrill and excitment when i'm slaughtering and ripping the beasts apart 8-) Its something that i personally can't do while i'm playing as a female. But those supporters, its no secret how i like em baby.

I would like to personally take this opportunity to thank the creator of this thread for providing me with new statistical evidence that only men who like asses have peripheral vision.

Not accepted. The line "Whose butt would you rather stare at for the thousands of hours you will invest in this game?" Is considered to be more of a joke rather than the actual reason. I think that you're stuck on superficial reasoning for either the sake of trolling or you're just not a/an (deep) intellectual. Either way is fine, i'd still :beer: with you

I intend to have a female main just out of admiration of a character I've seen online.

I'm curious, who is it?

I'm liking this community, if any of you want to play when this game is out hit me up.

soulpimpwizzurd
May 6, 2012, 02:14 PM
@rock is this chick at least good looking in your opinion, or does she never give pics lol. i gotta ask man.

also just google ukinojoe bobby's new hobby to find video.

i will say now though i would not be surprised if she was only average or below average but still gained the attention of thousands.

kyuuketsuki
May 6, 2012, 02:49 PM
My question is: why should anyone care what gender a person chooses for their avatar? It's a personal choice that's really non of your damn business.

That said, I dunno about guys who actually act like women and/or actively pretend to be one. I generally choose female characters simply because I usually prefer how they look, but I don't act "feminine" and I freely admit to being a G.I.R.L. I'm not going to take great pains to tell everyone I meet up front that my character doesn't share my gender, though.

Just follow rule #1 on the internet: assume it's male until proven otherwise.

Pillan
May 6, 2012, 02:53 PM
Not accepted. The line "Whose butt would you rather stare at for the thousands of hours you will invest in this game?" Is considered to be more of a joke rather than the actual reason. I think that you're stuck on superficial reasoning for either the sake of trolling or you're just not a/an (deep) intellectual. Either way is fine, i'd still :beer: with you

I suppose that reply does merit one serious reply. The problem with this thread is the way the question was posed from the start. By framing the question as one of femininity within a male player that chooses a girl avatar, it did not sound like an attempt for a debate, but a low blow at the majority of PSO2's community. If you simply left it at "why would a male choose a female avatar?" then it would have been far less likely to generate a similar response. And one was coming, I just decided to act upon it first.

But, ultimately, the decision comes down to looks or stats. Female characters are better off in two out of the three primary attack stats and they have an Ability advantage as well. Male characters are better with melee, but, as has been seen by the Ranger questioning thread, it is hard to argue that being 3% better at melee is worth being 1-3% worse at every other combat stat. (Note that Newman male is no better than female at melee.) Defensive stats are seldom worth considering with the manual block and dodge abilities. However, the small difference gives male characters an easier justification in the case of looks.

And that brings us to looks. You can argue role playing reasoning, but when you break away what makes the character interesting, you end up with something that is fairly race and gender independent. And from there it is easy to add details to that base story which justify the cosmetic details. Of course, there are individual reasons of why the look is better, but those vary a bit too much to be worth pinning down. If you want details on individuals, there were a few replies which explain that.

For me, it is purely cosmetic. And I can say this with certainty because I continued to play Caseal in Phantasy Star Universe, where male is clearly better at every stat that mattered in the game for Casts. Of course, it is hard to justify anything that is not Cast or Beast male in PSU in general aside from aesthetic reasons.

Peejay
May 6, 2012, 03:08 PM
I'm curious, who is it?

Ah, it's simple. I'm modelling it after the "OS-tan", or personification developed by futaba channel to suit Windows Millenium Edition. From places like there, all sorts of Japan-memes have developed, and now there's a girl (And a gender-bend) for each version of Windows.

Don't knock Millenium Edition. :|

Ryo
May 6, 2012, 03:54 PM
eharrmony is for 30 year olds.

desperate 14-28 year olds using online games as their e-harmony.

Has the same "failure to hook up with anybody" rate and everything!

What about 29-year-olds!? Are we doomed?

NoiseHERO
May 6, 2012, 03:58 PM
What about 29-year-olds!? Are we doomed?

That's the last 20. You gotta get drunk, all night, every night. D:

Get used to taking the train this year, because if you drive drunk you won't get any chicks!

Powder Keg
May 6, 2012, 04:12 PM
Playing a girl character as a guy is totally fine. It brings variety whether it be stats or style. . Acting like a girl if you're a guy playing a girl character? This is what's kinda wrong and sad, but can be funny at the same time.

Having a forum name as a female if you're a guy is something that never made sense to me. It's your "name" and is supposed to be a representation of yourself. Always found this creepy.

Scotty T
May 6, 2012, 04:16 PM
So if I shoot powder keg he explodes?

Zorafim
May 6, 2012, 04:21 PM
Eherm.

Okay, I'll admit it. I laughed.

Powder Keg
May 6, 2012, 04:21 PM
So if I shoot powder keg he explodes?

No, I'd probably expect him to fall down and die, since my nickname came from a wrestler.

Figuratively, he might though!

goldwing
May 6, 2012, 04:36 PM
I find it perfectly ok on what the person picks gender wise. Its just a constant reminder not to hit on anyone online. not like wed b doing that anyway right guys??? Cause we all have someone we are with right guys??? -looks around looking for approval-

Mulat
May 6, 2012, 04:51 PM

[...]

as to why she wants it to be known she is not a dude, that's all personal opinion, but i stick with the main reasoning being that she wants to be treated differently.There are good reasons to make it clear you're a woman when playing. Some people will start acting weird (or even "violated") if they initially misgendered you as male and you come out as female later, especially if you're playing a male character. Telling people right away can also help you weed through who is just going to be awkwardly hitting on you or acting hateful.

After getting enough crap, a lot of women conceal their gender by either playing male characters or lying when they're asked if they're really a woman. Others may be loud and proud and wear their gender like a badge of honor, like with gamer girl communities. I don't think there's anything wrong with either of those. The women who do it for special attention and gifts seem to be in the minority, and a lot of them are actually gold sellers and guys that are griefing people.

I also don't see any issues with guys who do play female characters to feel feminine. Feminine guys exist, and that's nothing to be ashamed of.

Peejay
May 6, 2012, 05:06 PM
At the same time regarding feminine guys, keep in mind what you see online, what sort of cultures that have been cultivated in the depths of various online message boards.

Maybe there's people who do want to feel a bit more feminine. In some cases, it's more than that, but it's just a gigantic risk no matter what. People will attack anyone for no good reason, usually. It just seems some topics will net you more trouble than they're worth.

Being feminine seems to be one, since most cheeto-fed landwhales will argue you have to look like He-man in order to be acceptable to anyone as a lame attempt of screwing with you.

AnnabellaRenee87
May 6, 2012, 05:06 PM
My primary character is is guy, I will name him Neo, my alt which when I think about it should probably be my primary as I will play as her more will be a girl, Annewlla. Why play as her? Well I like her more. I kinda relate to her more. I express my self better with her....... gonna stop talking now.

NoiseHERO
May 6, 2012, 05:08 PM
I also don't see any issues with guys who do play female characters to feel feminine. Feminine guys exist, and that's nothing to be ashamed of.

YEAH LET'S ADD SOME MORE CONTROVERSY!!!

r00tabaga
May 6, 2012, 05:10 PM
If 90% of all PSO2 players are male and ONLY choose male avatars, the game would be very vanilla. The fact that so many men play as chics helps give variety to the battle field.
Also, I always have my two mains (HUcast & HUmar) and force chic. I sometimes will make 2 female characters, like in PSPo2, but mostly men. My wish is that I could make a girl and outfit her in male hunter gear. I want no sex appeal with my beeotches. :flirt:

Edit: There's absolutely nothing wrong with guys acting like girls or dames acting like dudes in PSO......TJMO.

Peejay
May 6, 2012, 05:13 PM
YEAH LET'S ADD SOME MORE CONTROVERSY!!!

Let me ask what you think you're contributing.

Then let me hurt you.

goldwing
May 6, 2012, 05:13 PM
Eherm.

he he he. thats funny

Ce'Nedra
May 6, 2012, 05:21 PM
I play a female char as main because I have been using her since psogc. I don't see the issue with it either, if I wanna stare at her butt or boobies who are you to stop me from doing so.

Mulat
May 6, 2012, 05:22 PM
YEAH LET'S ADD SOME MORE CONTROVERSY!!!I was trying to be more on-topic by addressing the OP's comment about guys:

Do you guys have a little source of feminine energy deep down inside yourselves or what?

NoiseHERO
May 6, 2012, 05:22 PM
Let me ask what you think you're contributing.

Then let me hurt you.

How about this!

This whole thread was obviously like a troll thread from a mile away, and eveyone jumped in and made these serious replies, now there's like 9 pages of bickering about whether or not people should care if you're making your character to look at their virtual ass, or to gt other people's virtual asses.

I don't have to "contribute" ANYTHING but the hash-browns this thread is already built on!

SO EAT IT!

@ Mulat, that's the point! we almost avoid jumping into his game! now we're all trapped in it! Including me because I find it entertaining!

Zeota
May 6, 2012, 05:24 PM
It's an online RPG - as in "Role Playing Game". In other words, a chance to assume the role of something not possible in this plane of existence.

lostinseganet
May 6, 2012, 05:28 PM
I was a bigg fan of the anime "The slayers" Lina Inverse was the star she was a power sorceress, and she had some sword skills. When PSO came out for the DC the only real magic user was a girl in purple who happen to be a force. I wanted to be a magic user so that character was who I chose.

Silenttank
May 6, 2012, 05:41 PM
My only response is that the typical guy says they would rather stare at a girl, when I would rather be a bad ass and look like it. Not saying girls can't be but, I'd like to reflect my manhood, make my papa proud.

LokinModar
May 6, 2012, 05:51 PM
I like Female chars. that's all.

I played as a Ramar for 400h in PSO-DC just because Ramarls did not exist by that time... In PSO-GC i played as a Ramarl for more 400h because they could cast more high level techs than Ramars and i found their shooting poses more interesting. In PSO:BB my char is Ramarl too... In PSO2 i'll play as a chick and now i can be a Newman Ranger Chick...

PSO Addict
May 6, 2012, 05:55 PM
I'm still pretending my girlfriend will play with me and therefore I'll be playing with a girl, but I'll be bringing up the male population!

Scotty T
May 6, 2012, 05:57 PM
Needs more females.

Sidney
May 6, 2012, 06:33 PM
What does a woman's attractiveness have to do anything? Do you judge your experience with male players based on how attractive they might be? Or is this a standard you only hold women to? Do you only value a woman player based on how attractive she is?

It's this kind of attitude that makes being a woman gamer very, very exhausting.

"guy gamers unite ^_^"
or

Maybe she wants to be known that she's not a male, because... she's a woman? And that's an essential part of her identity?

Guys have the privilege of being the vast majority, and therefore, their gender is naturally assumed. Therefore, men don't often have to bring up quotes such as, "Oh, no, I'm male!", or, "I'm male". Being a woman is a big part of who I am, and it has shaped my experiences in my life in every single conceivable aspect. It's not that I wanted to be treated differently - I want to be treated equitably - but, I want to be acknowledged for who I am, called by the proper pronouns, and, yes, it'd be nice if the men could curb their misognyistic talk around me, too. When getting to know someone and forming friendships on the game - which is often the most rewarding part of the game for a vast majority of us - I can't be genuine with someone about my life and personality if I am pretending to be male. (I doubt I could pull that charade off, anyway!) I don't want to hide a major part of who I am by concealing my gender - it should not be necessary. Do men have to conceal their gender to have a pleasant gaming experience? So, then, why should I?

Also, women often say things such as, "Girl gamers unite!", because we are excited to meet a fellow female gamer. When we're with women, we know we're in a safe place, safe from commentary like this (fatuglyorslutty.com), horrendous jokes about phalluses (or even worse, jokes or comments about their phallus), comments about "tits", questions about our "tits", being awkwardly hit on, and the classic, "Get back to the kitchen!" There are wonderful guys out there, and some of my best friends I have now are men I have met on PSO/PSU. At the same time, for every wonderful man I have met on these games, I have about 10 horror stories. It shouldn't be a big deal to be openly female online - I mean, 51% of the world is female, for chrissakes - but somehow, it still is. And that's a problem.

Needs more females.
Often, men say things like, "We need more women in games!", until we start speaking up and having deeper opinions beyond, "Hehe, I want more clothes in PSO2!" Then it's "drama" and "controversy".

It really befuddles me that men here can post as many lewd, zoomed in screenshots of their characters breasts and asses as they want, or discuss jiggling breasts and asses to their hearts content, but conversations about sexism and misogyny are always "scandalous" and need to be shut down and dismissed. It gets old. Really, really, really old. I don't even know why I keep trying...

Chik'Tikka
May 6, 2012, 06:49 PM
^ i like how you closed that out, this thread should have been FKL by the second post+^_^+
as for you trying, the intelligent ones hear you+^_^+

Sidney
May 6, 2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks, girlie! :) I really appreciate your support. *hugs*

Rauten
May 6, 2012, 06:54 PM
I don't even know why I keep trying...

Because someone has to...

Please read it in a supportive tone as that's what it's meant to sound like.

BIG OLAF
May 6, 2012, 06:54 PM
zoomed in screenshots of their characters breasts and asses as they want, or discuss jiggling breasts and asses to their hearts content

*whistles nonchalantly and backs into the shadows*

Powder Keg
May 6, 2012, 06:57 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UUBBVvfBUcM/T1t8Zi673mI/AAAAAAAAA0c/uEdZ-PA4IpI/s1600/homer-simpson-bush-gif.gif

LOL, you were the first person I thought of, too. Don't hate me for this. ^^;

PSO Addict
May 6, 2012, 06:57 PM
I read about your many cancers Olaf. It made me laugh.
http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-online-2-fan-briefing-2nd-recap/#comment-33459

Chik'Tikka
May 6, 2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks, girlie! :) I really appreciate your support. *hugs*

i likes zee *hugs*+^_^+ but for you I have to say I'm a guy, but i have no problem saying that I'm very well connected with my femininity+^_^+
i was raised by a single mother and all her girlfriends as well as my sister and my aunts+^_^+ i have always had an easier time making friends with female peers over male peers irl, and the few relationships I've had lasted a long time and were very fulfilling+^_^+ Sally, my 70+ yr old neighbor says I'm the most polite young man she's ever had the pleasure to know. these experiences and my own disposition has led to much confusion with online games, whether it's Gears of War, Halo, WoW, PSU, Soul Calibur, i invariably at least twice a night get a message asking if I'm a girl+^_^+ only my closest online friends know better as they're the only ones I'll talk to with a mic+^_^+ This is also the only time I'll post something like this on these forums, if anyone ever asks me I'll just tell them "this isn't e-harmony" +^_^+ i look forward to playing with you on OBT soon!! till then ima troll 5th floor on 360 PSU+^_^+

Peejay
May 6, 2012, 07:01 PM
^ i like how you closed that out, this thread should have been FKL by the second post+^_^+
as for you trying, the intelligent ones here you+^_^+

Somehow, I don't think you're a viable means of support.

BIG OLAF
May 6, 2012, 07:06 PM
LOL, you were the first person I thought of, too. Don't hate me for this. ^^;

I read about your many cancers Olaf. It made me laugh.
http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-online-2-fan-briefing-2nd-recap/#comment-33459

Oh, well, you know...I, uh, aim to...please.

you guys really aren't helping me here...

goldwing
May 6, 2012, 07:08 PM
Leave olaf alone. olaf never hurt anyone in this matter for all we know he i mean she or it idk im only here for teh lolz.... sorry...

Rauten
May 6, 2012, 07:10 PM
i invariably at least twice a night get a message asking if I'm a girl+^_^+

I'll admit, I thought you were a girl.

Sidney
May 6, 2012, 07:11 PM
Hey, there's no problem with that, Chik'Tikka! :) It's great that you are true to yourself and your personality, even if it eschews so-called "traditional" gender-roles. Cheers to you! I know for a fact that there's all sorts of guys that play PS games - from manly bear-esque men, to your average male gamer, to more bubbly, effervescent ones, too! There are gay men, genderqueer men, more feminine men, all sorts of men playing! I know, because I play with these great men. Variety and diversity is what makes meeting people on the game enjoyable and fulfilling. I'm glad you are true to yourself! It's great to meet an ally, too. :) Men and women can both be feminists, and I welcome male allies with warm arms. Change can't be made by women alone - we need our male allies, too!

Scotty T
May 6, 2012, 07:11 PM
I was joking :(

Sidney
May 6, 2012, 07:21 PM
I was joking :(
Don't worry, it wasn't so much a reply to you, as much as I used your quote as a springboard to make a general comment to the forum. :)

Chik'Tikka
May 6, 2012, 07:25 PM

I'll admit, I thought you were a girl.

10 years ago i would have been 0.0, bet these days i take that as a compliment saying that i'm a little more mature then most+^_^+

Hey, there's no problem with that, Chik'Tikka! :) It's great that you are true to yourself and your personality, even if it eschews so-called "traditional" gender-roles. Cheers to you! I know for a fact that there's also sorts of guys that play PSU - from manly bear-esque men, to your average male gamer, to more bubbly, effervescent ones, too! There are gay men, genderqueer men, more feminine men, all sorts of men playing! I know, because I play with these great men. Variety and diversity is what makes meeting people on the game enjoyable and fulfilling. I'm glad you are true to yourself! It's great to meet an ally, too. :) Men and women can both be feminists, and I welcome male allies with warm arms. Change can't be made by women alone - we need our male allies, too!

Live and let live, i don't really want to be one of those ticky tacky factory pressed stereotypes+^_^+ I'm me and no one gonna change that+^_^+

BIG OLAF
May 6, 2012, 07:28 PM
Anyway, someone should grab the steering wheel of this thread and try to pull it back onto the road, because we're heading off of a flat-faced cliffside.

goldwing
May 6, 2012, 07:33 PM
Live and let live, i don't really want to be one of those ticky tacky factory pressed stereotypes+^_^+ I'm me and no one gonna change that+^_^+

Respected

Strider_M
May 6, 2012, 07:33 PM
Side Note: There were many times where I've come across a female character and they'll say something like "Oh yeah, by the way, I'm a guy!"

and I keep hearing that to avoid heckling, there are a lot of female gamers who choose male characters.

But I've never run across a male character that said that they were female.

That being said, I'm sure anyone could guess WHY that doesn't occur as often as female characters saying that they're male in real life. But what I want to know is:

Has anyone encountered a male character stating they're female in real life? What was your reaction?

BIG OLAF
May 6, 2012, 07:34 PM
Has anyone encountered a male character stating they're female in real life? What was your reaction?

Yes, actually. My reaction was "Okay, whatever." Doesn't really matter who plays what in a virtual world.

goldwing
May 6, 2012, 07:36 PM
Side Note: There were many times where I've come across a female character and they'll say something like "Oh yeah, by the way, I'm a guy!"

and I keep hearing that to avoid heckling, there are a lot of female gamers who choose male characters.

But I've never run across a male character that said that they were female.

That being said, I'm sure anyone could guess WHY that doesn't occur as often as female characters saying that they're male in real life. But what I want to know is:

i have and it was on psp2 the guy was a girl and the girl was a guy and he out of no where told me he was a she and her bf was the girl. no reason to it what soever. to be honest i didnt care i was kinda glad they had a relationship like that. and they were dating in rl as i was informed

Rauten
May 6, 2012, 07:36 PM

Once, on WoW; I was quite shocked, because, as you've said, for obvious reasons they don't usually say it, so it caught me quite by surprise.
Was just a random party member for a dungeon set up through the LFG system, so it's not like I actually gave 2 shits, I think she was just trying to stop us from calling her "man", "dude", etc etc.

But yeah, a bit shocked and surprised.

HUmar Darkedge
May 6, 2012, 08:54 PM
Yes, actually. My reaction was "Okay, whatever." Doesn't really matter who plays what in a virtual world.

One Respec. :laptop: Male/female; female/male. As long as your good with the character, no problems here(Well, to me. I've had my share of bad teams). :nono:

Side note: Not attending beta. Even if i could, i'd lack the requirements.

Powder Keg
May 6, 2012, 09:02 PM
http://data.whicdn.com/images/6110686/n794533293_1611408_2513_thumb.jpg

Azimel
May 6, 2012, 09:02 PM
Can't wait for PSO2 to come back to us!

This is one of the few communities I've been around that can harbor intelligent/polite manners out in the open. Of course, online games will always have the bad apples mixed into the bunch (PSO/PSU is no exception) but seeing the kind posts some of the people make here in the forums gives me renewed hope, and make me say "I want to play with those cool cats". I look forward to seeing friendly people like this well into the future of PSO2.

With that being said, RP-ing is nothing new, whether it's gender bending or not. PSO/PSU have always been very social games outside of actual missions/runs and that will not change with PSO2. I usually just play as a male character because I am uncomfortable playing a female avatar, but as time goes on I become more and more comfortable with making female alts and such.

HUmar Darkedge
May 6, 2012, 09:18 PM
The Beta over already? Damn that was quick, or time really flies when one is away.

xBladeM6x
May 6, 2012, 09:36 PM
This is my reaction to this whole topic:

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab39/xBladeM6x/tumblr_l9pb1eZbvW1qc87wk.gif

goldwing
May 6, 2012, 09:54 PM

lol wow just wow

Cranberry
May 6, 2012, 10:34 PM
I've seen guys play as guys. I've seen girls play as girls. I've seen guys play as girls. I've seen girls play as guys.

I say let them be whatever they want to be.

Nitro Vordex
May 6, 2012, 10:47 PM
I've seen guys play as guys. I've seen girls play as girls. I've seen guys play as girls. I've seen girls play as guys.

Dayum you into some kinky shit.

TalHex
May 7, 2012, 10:50 AM

I do both. : D

But in all seriousness, I'm 12 and what is this.

HUmar Darkedge
May 7, 2012, 02:19 PM

Ugh. Don't see anything kinky about this. Wether one has seen others or themselves playing as the opposite, nothing can be helped.
Maybe its personality, maybe its not.

Every person has a different viewpoint on making a character. Let's just leave it at that. No point crying over spilled milk.

Freshellent
May 7, 2012, 02:25 PM
I actually know quite a few girls, including one of my old roommates that played male characters. Everything from burly muscle men to frail pretty boys.

I'm not sure how any of it matters anymore.

Griffin
May 7, 2012, 02:57 PM

This is why Blade is the man.

redroses
May 7, 2012, 03:52 PM

LOL *saved forever*

From now on, I will play characters that either are males that look like females that try to look like males. Or females that try to look like males that look like females.

You can't explain that.

Palle
May 7, 2012, 04:15 PM
Ugh. Don't see anything kinky about this. Wether one has seen others or themselves playing as the opposite, nothing can be helped.
You lost the game.

CelestialBlade
May 7, 2012, 04:39 PM

My reaction to it getting FKL'd:

http://seraphzero.layer-infinity.net/what/hammer.gif

Or rather:

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad172/butterflyseraph/madbrothers.gif

BIG OLAF
May 7, 2012, 04:40 PM
From now on, I will play characters that either are males that look like females that try to look like males. Or females that try to look like males that look like females.

Wha-

How di-

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/BIGOLAF/Delicious%20Drama/TROPHY.gif

TalHex
May 7, 2012, 08:02 PM
I actually know quite a few girls, including one of my old roommates that played male characters. Everything from burly muscle men to frail pretty boys.

I'm not sure how any of it matters anymore.

Give the man a cookie, he has figured it out! Bravo.

Nitro Vordex
May 7, 2012, 08:16 PM
Maybe its personality, maybe its not.

Every person has a different viewpoint on making a character. Let's just leave it at that. No point crying over spilled milk.
2 srs
http://i.minus.com/iA5wN9mMWEgYa.jpg

AlexCraig
May 7, 2012, 08:26 PM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb137/Faedeur_Onarcius/Other%20Pics/Funny%20Pics/Facedesk.gif

Katrina
May 7, 2012, 08:40 PM
http://s18.postimage.org/kpp4rpuhx/halowe.gif

HUmar Darkedge
May 9, 2012, 02:27 PM
You lost the game.

and you are a fool.

TalHex
May 9, 2012, 10:18 PM
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/talonshadowfox/lionking.gif