PDA

View Full Version : English PSO2 wiki?

Pyrii
May 6, 2012, 10:19 PM
I think it'd be good to have an english wiki resource as Japanese wikis (http://pso2-wiki.1zb.net/) are (http://pso2wiki.jp/) very (http://wikiwiki.asia/pso2/) sketchy at the moment and it'd be nice to have an english-language resource for the technical details of the game.

I had a momentary thought of trying to set this up myself and then realised that'd be dumb and wondered if any of the major bodies have tried already, like PSUpedia or PSO-World. So far I am disappoint.

So is there or will there be a demand for an English wiki for JP PSO2? pretty much like PSUpedia, giving information on items, missions and stats. Also listing Japanese names and their English translations. But also like PSUpedia meaning that if there's an Western version, the data should hopefully be applied identically with just name and description updates.

There's loads of great info out there and on these forums, but we have to agree that getting to specific information is done better on a wiki.

youcantcatchtheblue
May 6, 2012, 10:24 PM
That would be really useful, especially if everyone helps out and contributes. I found the Japanese Wikis useful when trying to look up an item at the shop (It's kinda stupid that you have to know the name of the item you're looking for to search and browse a shop... they should change that)

So yeah, I support the idea for an English wiki.

goldwing
May 6, 2012, 10:29 PM
im sure if we get enough people to support it we can make it happen. i would love to help out with this.

Rei-San
May 6, 2012, 10:31 PM
Me too. Wikis shouldn't be hard to make, And i want a background in helping with websites.

Pyrii
May 6, 2012, 10:34 PM
As I said, I'd love to help start it, but I don't think I should be the Owner/Founder. I know my way around Media inside-and-out but I have my caveats which usually makes me not a very good owner :P

Hell I tried to start a wiki for Digimon Masters Online, and that ended up abandoned (http://dmod.pixel-dragon.com/Welcome).

So yeah, I totally want to contribute, but I don't think I'd be the best owner. I can template, do mediawiki backend, and give info from my playtime.

Priest
May 6, 2012, 10:34 PM
It's kinda stupid that you have to know the name of the item you're looking for to search and browse a shop... they should change that

Are you talking about players shops? You can pick categories like weps, armor, and the exact types before searching. Also you can pick the minimum star rarity, as well as price. I think it's fairly easy to find a certain wep or find new ones that way.

Vashyron
May 6, 2012, 10:36 PM
Just so you guys know, Project Oracle/The PSOracle is in the works right now.

(It's being done by the "PSUpedia guys.")

Pyrii
May 6, 2012, 10:36 PM
Just so you guys know, Project Oracle/The PSOracle is in the works right now.

(It's being done by the "PSUpedia guys.")

link?

Vashyron
May 6, 2012, 10:43 PM
link?

Like I said it's in the works. The software is not done yet.

http://forum.psupedia.info/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1510

Pyrii
May 6, 2012, 10:50 PM
Like I said it's in the works. The software is not done yet.

http://forum.psupedia.info/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1510

Yeah, I found it a few minutes ago, what they're proposing is a full-on database rather than a wiki. They'd have much more control of what goes on there and given it's custom software, I'm dubious as to the result. Not saying it couldn't work, but for now there's nothing to use and it might be better to do something separate for now.

Certainly something to keep an eye on though.

youcantcatchtheblue
May 6, 2012, 11:42 PM
Are you talking about players shops? You can pick categories like weps, armor, and the exact types before searching. Also you can pick the minimum star rarity, as well as price. I think it's fairly easy to find a certain wep or find new ones that way.

hmm... I guess the interface just wasn't very intuitive. I tried searching without putting an item name in and it came up with no results so I figured it was a required field. Same with needing a player's name to look for shops...

soulpimpwizzurd
May 6, 2012, 11:53 PM
we could try starting up a wiki scratchpad

http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Scratchpad_Wiki_Labs

it seems pretty simple and for now could get the job done i think.

overall i think this is a great idea to hold people over for now. i kinda feel like psublog / a few stickies on this forum are basically the same thing though. it just takes a few more steps to get the info you need.

goldwing
May 7, 2012, 12:00 AM

it seems pretty simple and for now could get the job done i think.

overall i think this is a great idea to hold people over for now. i kinda feel like psublog / a few stickies on this forum are basically the same thing though. it just takes a few more steps to get the info you need.

not a bad idea

Dark Emerald EXE
May 7, 2012, 03:01 AM
I think it's a wonderul idea. and seeing how we have a good chunk of the CBT mostly figured out/translated just a matter of getting the wiki site up and running :) (easier said then done right? lol)

I'll help in any way I can.

NoiseHERO
May 7, 2012, 03:21 AM
I thought PSOW usually makes their own info database thingies?

In fact that's all I ever used to use this site for. D:

Vent
May 7, 2012, 03:59 AM
I think we only need someone to get this off the ground and the rest should happen on its own. However, I don't have a lot of experience with wikis nor do I plan to grab too much responsibility (read: spend too much time).

I'm dying to help out though and my friend probably will too.

Hrith
May 7, 2012, 04:47 AM
All the people working on previous wiki sites (PSU and PSP2) have decided against reiterating.

All people involved in data mining, research and translation have decided against the wiki format.

So far, neither the former psup team nor PSOW have openly spoken about making their database(s), but there is little doubt they are in the process.

In the mean time, I have stored some of the data on my online documents, but that will be included in either database, or course.

As someone with experience of it, I strongly suggest against you starting a wiki, and I even more strongly suggest against spreading the information on yet another site, it'd be a lot better if all the information were concentrated in one source.

RocSage
May 7, 2012, 05:19 AM

Never use wikia. It's full of malware and there are various ownership problems.

All the people working on previous wiki sites (PSU and PSP2) have decided against reiterating.

All people involved in data mining, research and translation have decided against the wiki format.

So far, neither the former psup team nor PSOW have openly spoken about making their database(s), but there is little doubt their are in the process.

In the mean time, I have stored some of the data on my online documents, but that will be included in either database, or course.

As someone with experience of it, I strongly suggest against you starting a wiki, and I even more strongly suggest against spreading the information on yet another site, it'd be a lot better if all the information were concentrated in one source.

I've created a few wikis and they are fairly easy to make, but I personally refuse because as mentioned elsewhere i have been burnt a bit too many times on that. I don't see the point of creating a wiki or anything like that when this site will be making something for it and likely already has, but just doesnt have it visible and it likely has a number of sections pre-formed ready to go once they get accurate information.

There are 3 things that they could put up right now and all of them would have to be greatly edited depending on balancing of the game and translations that we wont know much concretely about tile the game launches.

The information currently being collected by people in posts and such are just to help you get by temporarily and as such shouldnt be put in a wiki format.

Gardios
May 7, 2012, 09:47 AM
I'm against a wiki. Items, quests, PA data. skills etc. should be put into databases - there's no need for them to be edited by everyone. As long as the person(s) in charge update the DBs whenever the game updates, it should be fine.

Peejay
May 7, 2012, 10:45 AM
In fact that's all I ever used to use this site for. D:

Your post count says otherwise.

The only issue with databases is, can we be certain the administrators can update them reliably? Most times, these are simply side-projects, and if they stop caring, what are you given to go on? Mostly out-dated info. That isn't really helpful at all.

Kraiseson
May 7, 2012, 10:47 AM

lol i was going to say this. I never had trouble finding what i was looking for, just filtered out what i wasnt looking for and found it.

Gardios
May 7, 2012, 11:12 AM
The only issue with databases is, can we be certain the administrators can update them reliably? Most times, these are simply side-projects, and if they stop caring, what are you given to go on? Mostly out-dated info. That isn't really helpful at all.
Something similar can be said about a wiki - yes, there are more people who can keep it updated, but at the same time the risk is higher that the data added is simply wrong and goes unnoticed for a long time until people think it's actually true.

So yeah, we have to pick our poison. I still prefer a DB over a wiki if we can get a bunch of reliable administrators who take care of it - and are willing to pass on their admin rights if they know they can't keep up. If we end up with a wiki after all I have but one request: Let's never touch wikia.

Chik'Tikka
May 7, 2012, 11:20 AM
I had a very hard time with shops in CBT, so much so that i gave up, some sort of database or *temporary* OBT wiki would be nice to see various items with English stats and name as well as a copyable Japanese name to help search for it in the shops+^_^+

RocSage
May 7, 2012, 06:54 PM
Something similar can be said about a wiki - yes, there are more people who can keep it updated, but at the same time the risk is higher that the data added is simply wrong and goes unnoticed for a long time until people think it's actually true.

So yeah, we have to pick our poison. I still prefer a DB over a wiki if we can get a bunch of reliable administrators who take care of it - and are willing to pass on their admin rights if they know they can't keep up. If we end up with a wiki after all I have but one request: Let's never touch wikia.

There is actually a good example of that already in the JP wikis is it Hrith's google doc of bad information.

Echo's Partner Card is marked as you getting from doing her first mission (kill a rockbear to get her rod), but this is wrong. I actually tested this out in game because i wasn't sure and it could be either way. You get her Partner Card when you accept her second mission which requires you to take her with you.

The reason people don't notice it is because
ORder 1 is taken and completed then most people take Order 2 immediately upon turning in Order 1. If you don't take Order 2 and go and check the cards you have you won't have Echo's card.

The wrong information is already in 3 or 4 places for this which is the problem with wikis as people don't check certain things and they just add it. Likewise with a regular database it depends on the person running it to be accurate with that at least you only have to fight with one person and if they're not willing to look into it then you move on and put the right info elsewhere. With a wiki you have to fight with every member, present and future which is just a pain.

goldwing
May 7, 2012, 07:12 PM
I see your point roc. I guess we should hold off on the idea for a little and maybe individualy collect info that we feel may be useful and if time need b find sumone willing to lead and then pool all the info together. But only if nothing comes up on the web in the distant future. Just an idea.

Kazzi
May 7, 2012, 07:56 PM
hmm... I guess the interface just wasn't very intuitive. I tried searching without putting an item name in and it came up with no results so I figured it was a required field. Same with needing a player's name to look for shops...

I never had any problems with it myself, I even whipped up a quick guide:
http://photondrop.tumblr.com/post/21867812917/i-get-asked-by-my-friends-how-to-use-the

I'd prefer a db myself since I've seen so many wiki's get sabotaged, so if we went that route I'd like it to be closely moderated.

LokinModar
May 7, 2012, 08:27 PM
The info that is scattered all over the threads here MUST be compiled somewhere, that's for sure....

I think that i should be started soon or someone outside will end up doing this...

Rei-San
May 7, 2012, 08:38 PM
Actually guys, just thought of something, just some food for thought...

Why don't we make the PSO-W's item data base like a wiki :-? Like where to find it, video links, Trivia, ect.

I mean the PSO item data base was amazing. Cant say I found the PSU guide all that useful, but still.

LokinModar
May 7, 2012, 08:43 PM
I used the PSOW item database so much! They were really useful back then. And the stats charts... the drop charts...

goldwing
May 7, 2012, 10:43 PM
Lets do that then its not a wiki and people can keep a close eye on it

PSO Addict
May 8, 2012, 07:00 AM
I may as well police a wiki... All I do is sit in front of these forums all day.... haha

Dragwind
May 9, 2012, 03:30 PM
I'd say give it some time. It's still pretty early, and there's potential for a lot to change. Once we start seeing official releases, we'll probably start seeing database and wiki work starting to seriously take form.

Tycho
Jun 27, 2012, 11:10 PM
To add to the above to Hrith to explain why we (PSUP) wanted to try something different this time, we/I pretty much tried to use MediaWiki as a database, but that's just not really what it's meant for; it's not only far less powerful as one, but we also ended up with code so complicated that it became a significant barrier for casual users wanting to contribute, which kind of defeated the point in going wiki in the first place.
I think the idea of allowing anyone to contribute is really awesome, and I wouldn't want that to change for new projects. Essen wanted forms for user submissions (like PSOW's I guess) at least; I was pushing him to at least include text-based mass submission as well.

gantzkaiser
Jun 27, 2012, 11:41 PM
Google translate this?

http://pso2.swiki.jp/

KanekoSaya
Jun 27, 2012, 11:44 PM
I would love to help!!

Squire Zed
Jun 27, 2012, 11:49 PM
We should set up a collection of the guides here and on the PSU fan blog that has lots of content and use it as a starting point for a wiki, and then populate out from that stem.

nilihanth
Jul 5, 2012, 01:49 PM
I just found this (http://pso2-wiki.com/wiki/Main_Page). Seems like we could use and/or contribute until someone gets a good, stable DB up.

It is possible to make private wikis, which would potentially address the concerns that anyone and everyone can make edits and, therefore, add inaccurate information or just be a plain old jerk.

I used to help with a private wiki for Sacred 2, which was nice. There were many editors but you had to apply to get an account.

Desecration
Jul 5, 2012, 03:42 PM
Someone on the Site here has started a google docs drop chart.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ain3P-3bpx8pdGJpcFJOc3pzYUwxRDlic0Y4NkdETXc&gid=0