PDA

View Full Version : Skill Points question

moorebounce
May 10, 2012, 09:27 PM
I know I earned some during the CBT but was there a way to earn a good amount of them? My ranger didn't earn near enough SPs to use traps when I've read in other threads where people didn't have this issue.

So how or what did you have to do to earn Skill Points?

skuld01
May 10, 2012, 09:55 PM
So far the only way to gain SP is from lvl up. In the coming obt you can level a class to 30 as they say. So there is 30sp max for each class in obt.

In release there will be lvl 40 as cap. In the future updates or patch the cap may release to higher .

I dont think you can get extra sp from other ways, btw , but i do agree that the skill tree need to remake , like reduce the highest rank on a skill from 10 to 5, i think.

Angelo
May 10, 2012, 09:57 PM
1 skill point = 1 level

Pretty straight forward.

Vashyron
May 10, 2012, 10:22 PM
I think the only thing you couldn't reach in the Closed Beta was the Ranger Panic Bullet.

Randomness
May 10, 2012, 10:58 PM
I think the only thing you couldn't reach in the Closed Beta was the Ranger Panic Bullet.

You still needed to go all in to get to some things though. Not having any leeway after taking a skill is annoying, it reduces variety. The extra levels should help with that, and I suppose they'll probably tweak the trees a bit here and there too.

They can also always give us extra points every so many levels too.

Overall, it strikes me as not difficult to tweak - if you're willing to reset all trees whenever you do it.

Mike
May 10, 2012, 11:22 PM
They can also always give us extra points every so many levels too.
Skill points as client order rewards would be nice too.

Priest
May 10, 2012, 11:31 PM
Skill points as client order rewards would be nice too.

C-mode rewards! Skill point vs S-rank, you choose!

Peejay
May 10, 2012, 11:36 PM
I don't see this as reasonable. We'll have more than enough once we're seeing higher level caps anyways, right?

Vashyron
May 10, 2012, 11:40 PM
While Level Caps increase the Skill Trees will also expand over time, so I doubt we will ever have "enough."

(With the added annoyance of "You like the new skills added on the opposite side of the Skill tree that you're currently climbing? Too bad. Fork over some AC.")

skuld01
May 11, 2012, 12:19 AM
Also I hate that you cant reset a skillset when your class is using it, so you HAVE TO purchase a new skillset first.

Vashyron
May 11, 2012, 12:24 AM
Also I hate that you cant reset a skillset when your class is using it, so you HAVE TO purchase a new skillset first.

...Wouldn't just swapping to another Class temporarily "fix" that?

Personally didn't try though.

skuld01
May 11, 2012, 12:44 AM
...Wouldn't just swapping to another Class temporarily "fix" that?

Personally didn't try though.

Nope, that won't do.

When you are a ranger, and only 3 skillset (1 for Hu, 1 for Ra, 1 for Fo)

you cannot reset any skillset , given you have the skill reset ticket(AC).

When you do a skill reset:

A. Pick 1 skillset which is not apply to the class (Example: you have 2 skillset in Hu, Hu A and Hu B, when your Hunter class is using Hu A, you can only reset Hu B, to reset Hu A, switch to Hu B when you are a Hunter then you can reset Hu A)

B. After the reset, choose which class do the new empty skillset apply to. (let's say you purchased a new skillset for Fo, then you reset it, now you can choose the new skillset set to Hunter skillset, or Ranger skillset, or Force skillset)

I say this "system" is so annoying.

Mike
May 11, 2012, 12:52 AM
(With the added annoyance of "You like the new skills added on the opposite side of the Skill tree that you're currently climbing? Too bad. Fork over some AC.")
With any luck, any major rebalancing/adding of new will come with a reset ticket. Can only hope though.

moorebounce
May 11, 2012, 09:11 AM
but i do agree that the skill tree need to remake , like reduce the highest rank on a skill from 10 to 5, i think.

I wasn't sure exactly how you got them so thanks. During any of the tests (that included it) it needed to be lowered to 5 or something. I couldn't get to stuff I wanted having to spend 10 SP on a skill.

What good is multiple skill trees if you're limited by your character's level? Unless you can use your Skill points on multiple trees. There has to be another way to get Skill points outside of leveling. According to my count of the Skill points needed to completely open your skill trees. Hunters need 169 skill points, Rangers need 154 and Forces need 193 skill points. Did I read somewhere where the ultimate character level cap was gonna be 100? If the top character level is 100 how are you supposed to get the rest of those points?

Peejay
May 11, 2012, 09:16 AM
With any luck, any major rebalancing/adding of new will come with a reset ticket. Can only hope though.

Regularly, in WoW, any modifications of the skill trees wipe the slates clean completely. However, introducing items like this seems to look like they don't intend to make too terribly many changes. At least if they can help it.

Vashyron
May 11, 2012, 09:30 AM
I wasn't sure exactly how you got them so thanks. During any of the tests (that included it) it needed to be lowered to 5 or something. I couldn't get to stuff I wanted having to spend 10 SP on a skill.

What good is multiple skill trees if you're limited by your character's level? Unless you can use your Skill points on multiple trees. There has to be another way to get Skill points outside of leveling. According to my count of the Skill points needed to completely open your skill trees. Hunters need 169 skill points, Rangers need 154 and Forces need 193 skill points. Did I read somewhere where the ultimate character level cap was gonna be 100? If the top character level is 100 how are you supposed to get the rest of those points?

Simply put, you're not supposed to have everything. You are meant to take choices on what you rather specialize in.

Angelo
May 11, 2012, 10:13 AM
Nope, hate the idea of skill points as rewards.

Being able to max out all skills takes out the originality of the skill tree and the diversity of players.

RocSage
May 11, 2012, 11:28 AM
Well if they introduced the concept of rebirth in the series then they might have it in PSO2 and if that is the case then it is likely that when you rebirth you'll keep your skill points or receive a bonus or be able to gain more points, but a slower pace your second time leveling through the levels.

youcantcatchtheblue
May 11, 2012, 11:35 AM
Well if they introduced the concept of rebirth in the series then they might have it in PSO2 and if that is the case then it is likely that when you rebirth you'll keep your skill points or receive a bonus or be able to gain more points, but a slower pace your second time leveling through the levels.

Rebirth... I guess that's something to think about too, I haven't seen it discussed much in here.

I haven't played Infinity yet, so I don't know the rebirth system very well, but I would imagine that in an MMO people wouldn't want to lose their highest level characters... It would be like "Look! I put 600 hours of my life into this character and she's only Lvl 2!!"

Rauten
May 11, 2012, 11:41 AM
There are MMOs that do have a rebirth system in place. Personally though, I hope such a thing is never implemented.

RocSage
May 11, 2012, 11:45 AM
Rebirth... I guess that's something to think about too, I haven't seen it discussed much in here.

I haven't played Infinity yet, so I don't know the rebirth system very well, but I would imagine that in an MMO people wouldn't want to lose their highest level characters... It would be like "Look! I put 600 hours of my life into this character and she's only Lvl 2!!"

Mabinogi is where I've experienced a rebirth system. It's not a common mechanic simply because of that point that you have to lose stats points to gain skills quicker. In Mabinogi you gain a given amount of points with every level and with a given modifier. The older the character is the less points you get so to increase the strength of your character significantly you have to rebirth your character when it gets to the point where it is inefficient. You can also just continue leveling, but it takes longer to get the same benefits. When you rebirth in Mabinogi all the points you've placed are still where they are as well. You just gain more. So if you have Strike power 10/10 or whatever it was called and that gives you +50 then you'd have that +50 at lvl 1 which really does help things along when you think about it.

soulpimpwizzurd
May 11, 2012, 11:48 AM
i.... kinda sorta really don't want them to do any rebirth stuff.

in my eyes that's just an easy way out of not making more content, while still keeping players occupied.

but honestly, it seems like something they might end up doing anyway. i personally will not be surprised if a monthly update 90% of the time consists of cash shop stuff. that's how almost all f2p "updates" are. either that or events for spending cash, and possibly regular money (very rare). i'm not saying sega is every other f2p company out there though, and nobody really knows until it happens.

what we all want updates to be: content, new weapon types, new weapons, new maps/modes

what updates encompass and tend to be: cash spending events, cash shop updates, other events, anything else... then content, new weapon types, new weapons, new maps/modes

moorebounce
May 11, 2012, 11:59 AM
Simply put, you're not supposed to have everything. You are meant to take choices on what you rather specialize in.

I guess thats one way to get people to make multiple characters (meaning more cash for Sega) and experiment with different paths on the tree. If you don't want to spend the cash you have to choose your path wisely. lol

CelestialBlade
May 11, 2012, 12:02 PM

Being able to max out all skills takes out the originality of the skill tree and the diversity of players.
Agreed, it's nice to have to create a certain build. Makes everyone more unique, potentially.

As for Rebirthing, I'd rather not see it personally. I get it from the standpoint of always having something to work toward, but I'd rather that come in the form of game content to hunt, stuff to craft, and out-of-battle activities like My Room. I'm already really happy that there's tons and tons of Client Orders to do, just hoping the rewards are unique and worthwhile.

Chik'Tikka
May 11, 2012, 12:55 PM
hmm i don't like the idea of rebirth, unless they make so you need x2 exp to lvl after, and how limited the skill tree is is nice, i can make my RAcaseal unique to how i play with my 360 pad and TPS turned on+^_^+

Kazzi
May 11, 2012, 01:22 PM
Nope, that won't do.

When you are a ranger, and only 3 skillset (1 for Hu, 1 for Ra, 1 for Fo)

you cannot reset any skillset , given you have the skill reset ticket(AC).

When you do a skill reset:

A. Pick 1 skillset which is not apply to the class (Example: you have 2 skillset in Hu, Hu A and Hu B, when your Hunter class is using Hu A, you can only reset Hu B, to reset Hu A, switch to Hu B when you are a Hunter then you can reset Hu A)

B. After the reset, choose which class do the new empty skillset apply to. (let's say you purchased a new skillset for Fo, then you reset it, now you can choose the new skillset set to Hunter skillset, or Ranger skillset, or Force skillset)

I say this "system" is so annoying.

It's cheaper and easier just to buy a new skillset for the same class. You can have 10 or 20 of them? I can't remember the exact amount but it's more than enough.

Mike
May 11, 2012, 09:48 PM
If it makes your character signifigantly more powerful than it was before, I think people would do it and with a good set of friends, you could probably power yourself back up rather quickly. Of course, if they haven't said anything about it now then it probably won't be in the game for a while if at all.

Who said all client orders should give out skill points? A few skill points from client orders here and there wouldn't ruin skill diversity.

PSO Addict
May 11, 2012, 09:55 PM
I could see bonus points being awarded to rank up previously ranked skills. That would allow players to max out their skills without ranking everything as only level points would unlock "new" skills. Otherwise I'll end up with some random 2-3-5-5.... build just to unlock the next level. But yes, it would would need to be limited...

Taitu
May 11, 2012, 10:02 PM
I could see bonus points being awarded to rank up previously ranked skills. That would allow players to max out their skills without ranking everything as only level points would unlock "new" skills. Otherwise I'll end up with some random 2-3-5-5.... build just to unlock the next level. But yes, it would would need to be limited...

This would be unfair to players who create a build with too few skills to reach the max amount of bonus points or who already placed points into multi-level skills.

Gardios
May 11, 2012, 10:32 PM

Giving out SP as client order/matter board rewards doesn't necessarily mean less diversity, it really depends on the amount you can get. Something like 5 bonus SP with a cap of 40 (so 45 SP alltogether) would be reasonable with the current skill tree, for example. To put it into perspective, on a Ranger that could mean max Jellen and Panic Shot without being able to flesh out the Assault Rifle skills or the trap subtree.

That's not uncommon in MMORPGs and rightfully so. It makes you choose between getting a few stronger skills deep into the skill tree or spending plenty SP into the more accessible, weaker skills.

If anything I would want to see a few optional quest skills per class that you can't level up but that synergize with other skills and encourage speccing differently.

Kraiseson
May 12, 2012, 11:05 AM
Would be nice if the branches get so far away from eachother that people have to solely focus on a certain build as opposed to everyone using the same ones. Some variety would be nice.

PSO Addict
May 12, 2012, 10:28 PM
I didn't say it was perfect, but the idea of extra points sounded exciting and so that's what I thought to limit things.

FenixStryk
May 12, 2012, 10:39 PM
Would be nice if the branches get so far away from eachother that people have to solely focus on a certain build as opposed to everyone using the same ones. Some variety would be nice.Eh, forcing routes never stopped cherry-picking or min/maxing "best builds" before. I prefer having the option for a hybrid build in addition to specialized branches. That said, it's not like the current trees even allow that kind of specialization... you end up grabbing at least half the damn thing because there's nothing else to get.