PDA

View Full Version : Character Contest winners announced + 5/11 blog

Mike
May 11, 2012, 04:22 AM
And the winner is...
[spoiler-box]#18, mw!

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1923&pictureid=27745
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1923&pictureid=27744

For reasons I'm sure most of you will have no idea why, this character was the most popular, taking a third of the vote and will be showing up in game.
[spoiler-box]For those of you without any knowledge of current pop-culture in Japan, this character looks strikingly like the large, cross-dressing columnist/TV personality Matsuko Deluxe. Throw that name in to an image search.[/spoiler-box][/spoiler-box]

If you want to see the other winners, head over to http://www.pso2chara.jp/ and check them out.

Additionally, the official blog (http://ameblo.jp/sega-psblog/entry-11247829021.html) was updated. According to the blog, Sega will announce more details on the open beta around the end of May. Additionally, Sakai confirms that the scratch complete sheet found in the closed beta will not be in the game. Sega is removing "complete gachas" from existing games on the 31st and not using them in any further games, (http://sega.jp/topics/120511_1/) which was predictable but is good news anyways. EDIT: Since some people seem to be confused, I'll try to explain a better. Gachas, scratches as they are called in PSO2, will still exist in the game but the system used where you got a prize if you got a certain amount of items from a gacha is being removed. Thus the Rappy suit, which was only available in the closed beta by obtaining 10 or 12 from a scratch, will now be available by some other method.

The blog lists a few stats from the closed beta as well. These were announced during the fan briefing but here they are again:
Total of around 147,000 client download
About 131,000 participants
An average of about 63,000 log ins a day
A maximum of about 23,500 total simultaneous connections (which was reached on the 21st)

There are also a few pictures listed of the new planet for the open beta: Lillipa (リリーパ). This was also shown during the fan briefing but here are some screenshots.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1923&pictureid=27747
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1923&pictureid=27748

I believe 4gamer had the ruined city areas labeled as "The Great Wall of China."

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1923&pictureid=27750
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1923&pictureid=27749

And just like Navelius' monsters, Lillipa's machines and the Darkers will be duking it out.

Finally, we get the design pic for the parts that Lisa was wearing in the closed beta. This isn't Lisa's design mind you but the design for her parts. The only characters in the game with special models are Shion and Matoi. All the others are regular models designed with the character creator.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1923&pictureid=27746

Blizz3112
May 11, 2012, 05:05 AM
No, for me it was kind of obvious it was portraiting somebody famous in Japan...

bryanbtje
May 11, 2012, 05:33 AM
We all expected that mw would win. :P

RocSage
May 11, 2012, 05:35 AM
I think it was rigged. They saw something they liked started with that and then put in a bunch of inferior ones so the one they liked would get picked and they didn't "break" any rules.

blace
May 11, 2012, 05:38 AM
I know of several games that had this kind of contest, but overall, it was to bring in a celebrity that is known in that region. That's how most contests work, anything to endorse the game further by introducing a famous individual in the region.

Vent
May 11, 2012, 05:57 AM
I didn't really understand your translation Mike. Do you mean they removed gachas altogether or only prizes for completing gachas?

Also, this seems to suggest that the idea of CBT2 is dropped and they're planning to go into OBT early June.

CelestialBlade
May 11, 2012, 05:57 AM
That is a pretty impressive character though, celebrity or not :lol:

Good to see the numbers from the beta, I wonder what percentage the English-speaking community made up? Probably not anything huge, but I'd be pretty impressed if it was as high as 10%.

blace
May 11, 2012, 06:01 AM
I didn't really understand your translation Mike. Do you mean they removed gachas altogether or only prizes for completing gachas?

Also, this seems to suggest that the idea of CBT2 is dropped and they're planning to go into OBT early June.
I'm guessing the complete removal of anything gacha based. Which could mean more items available for purchase instead of relying on a random system that can drain your wallet.

Vashyron
May 11, 2012, 06:02 AM

Simply put, the prize from getting everything in the scratch at least once is gone. (So, the scratch still exists but with no completion grand prize.)

Guess they'll now most likely shove their planned completion prizes somewhere else.

I'm guessing the complete removal of anything gacha based. Which could mean more items available for purchase instead of relying on a random system that can drain your wallet.

Nope. Just the completion prize.

(Man I saw that people would get confused at this from a mile away.)

Mike
May 11, 2012, 06:04 AM
Do you mean they removed gachas altogether or only prizes for completing gachas?
They are only removing the prize you get for getting certain items from a gacha. The gachas/scratches will still be in the game as will the prizes you would have gotten from a completing a collection but there will just be a different way to get them.

Raging Ghost
May 11, 2012, 06:50 AM

All I need is a confirmation.

RocSage
May 11, 2012, 06:54 AM
They're removing the rappy suit so you can no longer annoy me with them.

Raging Ghost
May 11, 2012, 06:55 AM
They're removing the rappy suit so you can no longer annoy me with them.

What. I wasn't even in the Closed Beta.

RocSage
May 11, 2012, 06:59 AM
What. I wasn't even in the Closed Beta.

But you thought about it.
That is enough.

NoiseHERO
May 11, 2012, 07:14 AM
My god you guys are slo-

But anyway, augh no OBT info till the near the end of may. ;o;

Stupid laggy servers. ]:

Lance813
May 11, 2012, 07:22 AM
That is going to be one helluvan awkward NPC...

Blackheart521
May 11, 2012, 07:22 AM
My god you guys are slo-

Stupid laggy servers. ]:

I know man, I'm getting extremely impatient, but I guess its for the best :argh:

NoiseHERO
May 11, 2012, 07:25 AM
Wait-uh-minute D<

A skin and bones loli character got 2nd place? sdfshgsjhgjsfsshsgafg

I swear if I lived in Japan... Chibi-Rock would've so won. D<

Glad the fat mom-looking chick won though, at least till I found out it was a famous crossdresser.

Sidney
May 11, 2012, 07:56 AM
My god you guys are slo-

Stupid laggy servers. ]:

This. :c And here, I was getting hopeful that the Open Beta would be out by the end of May. But just info? Major bummer!

Freshellent
May 11, 2012, 07:57 AM
Seems well enough to me. Nice to see some newer screens too!

Thanks, Mike!

RocSage
May 11, 2012, 08:00 AM
This. :c And here, I was getting hopeful that the Open Beta would be out by the end of May. But just info? Major bummer!

Open Beta generally occurs very shortly before Launch, often leading into Launch by less than a week. So as I mentioned in another thread the game will likely launch in June/July

LokinModar
May 11, 2012, 08:09 AM
The fat mama won and it is good to see some variety in NPC women in this game. Even PSO had the fat lady that gives you the frying pan...

Vashyron
May 11, 2012, 08:20 AM
I'd call it less fat but more disproportional, the CC seems to suffer from this with "fat/skinny" characters after you pass a certain point.

Rauten
May 11, 2012, 08:24 AM
Looks like the kind of picture you'd find in an encyclopedia under the description of "hulking transvestite". Jesus.

Also, no info until the end of May. I freaking called it. Now if you'll excuse, I have a subpoena to send to PSO2 for psychological harm and anguish.

NoiseHERO
May 11, 2012, 08:43 AM
NB4 Japanese version of Norbit.

GreenArcher
May 11, 2012, 08:44 AM
More news at the end of May?

It's my PSO2 and I want it nowwwwwwwwwwww :(

Peejay
May 11, 2012, 09:05 AM
Rosie O'Donnell won?

... really?

youcantcatchtheblue
May 11, 2012, 09:10 AM
I am disappoint.

lol

moorebounce
May 11, 2012, 09:16 AM
Sounds like a first week in June OBT to me.

Rauten
May 11, 2012, 09:26 AM
Sounds like a first week in June OBT to me.

We can only hope, but yeah, if they intend to keep with their "early summer" schedule, they don't have much time left.

Crysteon
May 11, 2012, 09:27 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Matsuko carries gag weapons like Frying pans or some other shit just to milk the ridiculousness of the character itself (of course, that if he/she results to be useable as a partner character).

And maaaaan, I cant wait for June. Gib PSO2 nao!

Rath-Kun
May 11, 2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the update.

Sucks that they're still working on bugs, but I'd rather have them release a complete project instead of a buggy incomplete one. -coughBethesdacough-

pikachief
May 11, 2012, 10:29 AM
That is a pretty impressive character right there, looks pretty close to the actual person :o

And I'm not saying that because of my tastes lol
cuz well,
[spoiler-box]http://www.newsrealblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/austin-powers-man-baby.jpg [/spoiler-box]

Also no news till end of month is kinda lame but i'll be really busy till the end of the month so i suppose that doesn't bother me too much :)

Angelo
May 11, 2012, 10:38 AM
And I'm not saying that because of my tastes lol
cuz well,
[spoiler-box]http://www.newsrealblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/austin-powers-man-baby.jpg [/spoiler-box]

Somehow I have a feeling that wouldn't stop you.

Omega-z
May 11, 2012, 11:05 AM
The more I see Lillipa's so called city it feel's more like a base and why with all those beacon towers.....Hmmmm .... dundundun. I have my theory on that but it depends on how Sega does with the story.....dundundun.

youcantcatchtheblue
May 11, 2012, 11:28 AM
I'm putting my money on an E3 announcement. SEGA would have to be crazy not to promote this game at E3. Will SEGA be that crazy?

Dark Emerald EXE
May 11, 2012, 11:32 AM
My first thought was it looked like Roseanne.

soulpimpwizzurd
May 11, 2012, 11:54 AM
My first thought was it looked like Roseanne.

i am your mag

our synchro rate is 100%

Chik'Tikka
May 11, 2012, 12:47 PM

damn, no i gotta buy back all my stuffs on PSU.... end of May, really? what a c*** tease...+^_^+

BIG OLAF
May 11, 2012, 12:54 PM
I'm glad that one won grand prize instead of all the other generic characters they picked for the finalists. There were only three, maybe four characters worth voting for out of all of them, and she was one of 'em.

NoiseHERO
May 11, 2012, 01:02 PM
i am your mag

our synchro rate is 100%

Roseanne's face aint that clean. D:

Xaeris
May 11, 2012, 01:29 PM
We can't even really call Lilipa "Mines." It looks pretty nifty. I'm sure we'll get an updated Sinow reincarnation, so I'll look forward to that.

Omega-z
May 11, 2012, 01:37 PM
The robot's and planet's name remind me of "Castle in the Sky" one of Miyazaki film's form studio Ghibli.

Mega Ultra Chicken
May 11, 2012, 01:44 PM
We're getting a drag queen in this game?

*Faints due to how awesome that is*

Zorafim
May 11, 2012, 02:22 PM
A character won because it looked like a celebrity? That's not cool.

I'm glad to finally hear a release date for the open beta. Time to go advertising everywhere!

And, I kinda want those caseal parts. I'm kind of tired of the half finished design of the parts we have now. Though by the looks of it, I'm going to have to decide between transformer toy joints, and high heels. And that's a hard choice!

NoiseHERO
May 11, 2012, 02:36 PM
A
I'm glad to finally hear a release date for the open beta. Time to go advertising everywhere!

Where'd you see THAT one at? o_O

bradsta6508
May 11, 2012, 02:42 PM
I'm glad to finally hear a release date for the open beta.

Wut

Oh, and wasn't the CBT announced on 4/12 then opened up on 4/19? So yeah, I think it'll be announced on 5/25 that the OBT will begin 6/1. Sounds about right. And look on the bright side, it will be coming out right at the end of spring quarter/semester for all of us in college.

Zorafim
May 11, 2012, 02:45 PM
A one to two week interval constitutes a date in my mind.

Kazzi
May 11, 2012, 03:18 PM
Haha, I'm glad mw one, I loved the description and the idea.

Also completely happy to hear gacha are gone now. I am wary about how they plan to replace them.

NoiseHERO
May 11, 2012, 03:28 PM
Haha, I'm glad mw one, I loved the description and the idea.

Also completely happy to hear gacha are gone now. I am wary about how they plan to replace them.

Without gacha free players can't get AC stuff. ;o;

But no really gacha is still in... re-read the first post. D:

foreignreign
May 11, 2012, 03:51 PM
I love release dates for announcements about an announcement for a release date for a title in its pre-release stages!

So meta.

Raging Ghost
May 11, 2012, 04:02 PM
But you thought about it.
That is enough.

I only asked how you guys get those suits. I wasn't planning on getting one, anyways. So impratical.

Dark Emerald EXE
May 11, 2012, 04:14 PM
i am your mag

our synchro rate is 100%
LMAO

And yea as Rock already said...
The drawing for that cast looks awesome specifically the arms.
I was going to do a female cast orginally for CBT but after toying with both genders for awhile....
Caseal's body parts look kind of plan....actually some of them reminds of some of the stuff from PSU.

Seem like they did more designing with the male cast armors then they did female.
Of course that's just speaking for 3 different sets to customize with ><

youcantcatchtheblue
May 11, 2012, 07:39 PM

Gachas are still in, it's just the rappy suit that will be put somewhere else.

Gardios
May 11, 2012, 08:32 PM
I can't shake off the feeling that the rappy suit will be put into the normal gacha rotation but with the odds of drawing it being even lower than getting all other 10 major prizes together...

PSO Addict
May 11, 2012, 09:48 PM
Love the concept art. :blush:

ShadowDragon28
May 12, 2012, 01:21 AM
The Rappy Suit should be only obtainable for S-Ranking a super hard Time Attack Quest, and there should be like a 1 in 9,999,999 chance of getting in from a random draw.

Why? Because the dumb thing is a huge obnoxiuous eye-sore IMO.

Macman
May 12, 2012, 02:27 AM
It's a hundred times more bearable than PSU's creepy pedophile Rappy suit.
I love the squeaky footsteps.

Dark Emerald EXE
May 12, 2012, 02:42 AM
I'd find the Rappy Suits in pso2 more interesting if the rappy's color was based on your characters colors.

So atleast the main color for the rappy's color and secondary for like the eyes and such.

Seeing a bunch of people in tiny Yellow suit would get boring over time I'd think

Zyrusticae
May 12, 2012, 05:15 AM
That is a pretty impressive character though, celebrity or not :lol:

Good to see the numbers from the beta, I wonder what percentage the English-speaking community made up? Probably not anything huge, but I'd be pretty impressed if it was as high as 10%.
I'm late to the party, but my wild-yet-slightly-informed guess would put the English community at less than a thousand.

So maybe 0.5% of the playing population was English-speaking. :-P

Peejay
May 12, 2012, 08:15 AM
The Rappy Suit should be only obtainable for S-Ranking a super hard Time Attack Quest, and there should be like a 1 in 9,999,999 chance of getting in from a random draw.

Why? Because the dumb thing is a huge obnoxiuous eye-sore IMO.

Even if it is, it's a novelty, and people will want it. That is EXACTLY why people spammed the AC scratch in the Closed Beta..

... I ended up winning both of them, by the way. :v

chaos-shadow
May 12, 2012, 08:26 AM
So who is this famous transvestite? I want to look them up for some morning reading. XD

But the one I voted got 7th place, s'not bad I suppose...

Kraiseson
May 12, 2012, 11:01 AM
lol. Thats a celebrity? lolwut

Aumi
May 13, 2012, 10:12 AM
So the winners are a huge lady, a loli and a kind of ugly old guy... Great... Who the hell chose these?!

That aside:

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1923&pictureid=27746

I love this design! So the parts will be available for use?

Mike
May 13, 2012, 10:21 AM
I love this design! So the parts will be available for use?
These particular parts will be available when the game officially launches.

Peejay
May 13, 2012, 01:55 PM
That part availbility is good because I need the ass-cover to refine the look of my little robot girl.

Blizz3112
May 14, 2012, 02:48 AM
So who is this famous transvestite? I want to look them up for some morning reading. XD

But the one I voted got 7th place, s'not bad I suppose...

You should read the first post again in its entirety...

chaos-shadow
May 14, 2012, 04:07 PM
You should read the first post again in its entirety...

I read it the first time but went back and did it again and it took me like, 3 minutes to find what you were talking about. I wasn't expecting a spoiler box within a spoiler box. LOL. XD

Shirai
May 15, 2012, 02:25 AM
Mmm. I totally expected a loli to win the contest.

Arika
May 15, 2012, 04:38 AM
For those of you without any knowledge of current pop-culture in Japan, this character looks strikingly like the large, cross-dressing columnist/TV personality Matsuko Deluxe. Throw that name in to an image search.

Wasn't that it against the rule if you imitate any copyright character?
Well, there isn't copyright for imitate real person, but I think it is still in similar case xD, not even know if this get approve by the person herself.

Peejay
May 15, 2012, 09:34 AM
I'm still disappointed that there wasn't Colin Mochrie.