PDA

View Full Version : Sega Networks?

Apone
May 11, 2012, 10:24 PM
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/170179/Sega_focusing_on_digital_shift_following_decreased _2011_financials.php
It looks like Sega is creating a new Division in its company called Sega Networks (halfway down the article) and its due to become official on July 2nd. Does that sound like a realistic release date for PSO 2? To coincide with the official start up of their Digital division?

NoiseHERO
May 11, 2012, 10:31 PM

Maybe...

FOkyasuta
May 11, 2012, 10:49 PM
[SPOILER-BOX]SEGANET 2012.[/SPOILER-BOX]

I knew this was coming. But Sega Networks seems cleaner.

NoiseHERO
May 11, 2012, 10:52 PM
No, Seganets sounds better, with the plural and all, just sounds trendy.

If they call it Seganets, it would explode into the mainstream.

FOkyasuta
May 11, 2012, 10:56 PM

If they call it Seganets, it would explode into the mainstream.

And they called me crazy when i said Sega would do this again...

Hows bout that sheet.

Chik'Tikka
May 11, 2012, 10:59 PM
but July 2nd is mid summer..... they said we can has PSO2 early summer.......
+^_^+

May0
May 11, 2012, 11:00 PM
I hope they utilize steam, if not make it compatible with steam. Either way I'm definitively going to give it a go

NoiseHERO
May 11, 2012, 11:03 PM
And they called me crazy when i said Sega would do this again...

Hows bout that sheet.

I never even knew what SEGANET was, I just thought the name was funny.

But whatever it was I'm sure this is a better idea, if it's related to their whole "We're focusing on all digital content now." thing.

Infact I can see a LOT of game companies starting to go mostly/all digital. It could be like the next step from crappy indie/arcade/wii-ware games if people start making full scale level games as digital only stuff and basing their company off of that without having to worry about production stuff.

FOkyasuta
May 11, 2012, 11:04 PM
I hope they utilize steam, if not make it compatible with steam. Either way I'm definitively going to give it a go
Or who knows? Joint Operation Much?

but July 2nd is mid summer..... they said we can has PSO2 early summer.......
+^_^+
Must be a typo.

I swear gamers these days will take anything up as fact. =3=

I never even knew what SEGANET was, I just thought the name was funny.

But whatever it was I'm sure this is a better idea, if it's related to their whole "We're focusing on all digital content now." thing.

Infact I can see a LOT of game companies starting to go mostly/all digital. It could be like the next step from crappy indie/arcade/wii-ware games if people start making full scale level games as digital only stuff and basing their company off of that without having to worry about production stuff.

People still rage over UMD=/= Digital- Oh wait wrong thing. XP

But yeah, its called teh Digital age for a reason. And quit stealin what im gonna say! >:/

Ark22
May 11, 2012, 11:41 PM
Man no more used game from Sega....Guess I better pray on Steam to give me great sales.

Rauten
May 12, 2012, 01:34 AM

I doubt they'll use Steam, it's not such a big deal over in Japan.

And compatible, if you mean being able to use the in-game interface, I could use it in the CBT, and GameGuard didn't complain. Had to boot Steam in Admin mode, though.

May0
May 12, 2012, 04:30 AM
I doubt they'll use Steam, it's not such a big deal over in Japan.

And compatible, if you mean being able to use the in-game interface, I could use it in the CBT, and GameGuard didn't complain. Had to boot Steam in Admin mode, though.

Good to know. If the game doesn't have built in voice chat I at least want to be able to do steam chat. You don't need the steam overlay for that but it makes accessing it easier.

More importantly when I think PC gaming I think steam. I didn't even know what seganet was until I visited this thread. What about the average joe who plays games casually? Unless they're a diehard sega fan or someone who enjoys the Phantasy Star Online series I doubt they'll ever bother to know or care about seganet if they have an established alternative i.e. Steam/origin/GoG.

Adding to that, those who've been in the industry longer tend to be more capable when it comes to providing a reliable service-See Steam vs origin. One anomaly though, I can't explain games for windows live as it seems like they get progressively worse with age. :barf:

youcantcatchtheblue
May 12, 2012, 04:38 AM
Guys, to avoid confusion - SegaNet does not exist anymore and has been long gone since like 2003.

This new division likely does not have anything to do with SegaNet, so we shouldn't jump to conclusions that SegaNet is coming back or whatever. I really doubt Sega will try to make it's own Steam-like service.

Peejay
May 12, 2012, 08:12 AM
Guys, to avoid confusion - SegaNet does not exist anymore and has been long gone since like 2003.

This new division likely does not have anything to do with SegaNet, so we shouldn't jump to conclusions that SegaNet is coming back or whatever. I really doubt Sega will try to make it's own Steam-like service.

From the sounds of it, it will. EA has done so already and is carving out some success, despite the massive controversy regarding several things they've done, and GFWL...

Well, GFWL has been shut down and rebranded, what, three times now? They still see Steam as something to try and rip off, but only end up getting included ON some steam games as DRM. Hah.

moorebounce
May 12, 2012, 09:59 AM
In the near future people will be playing from Onlive (or services like it) or Steam so they won't have to make discs. Anything to put Gamestop out of business.

NoiseHERO
May 12, 2012, 10:44 AM
Actually discs won't become outlawed...

There was an article about it somewhere I don't remember, but basically some game developer guy was saying "LOL ARE YOU DUMB? THAT'D ACTUALLY BE TERRIBLE FOR BUSINESS!"

Omega-z
May 12, 2012, 12:07 PM
Rock - The only thing I can see with that statement would probably be the security of the product being ripped off, But even then they do it with disc's too at a lesser effect.

But otherwise it would save a lot of money for the company. I doubt the Developer was in Marketing or Advertisement, but more of the Tech side of things from the reason he gave.
He sounds Lazy actually and didn't want to make his job have more responsibility, It's the growing trend to Multi-Task in the Tech field now.

kyuuketsuki
May 12, 2012, 04:03 PM
In the near future people will be playing from Onlive (or services like it) or Steam so they won't have to make discs. Anything to put Gamestop out of business.
Fuck Onlive. And I still like my boxes with real instruction books and disks (though it'd be great if flash media became cheap enough for them to stick it on a thumb drive).

The problem with digital distribution is that is makes it easier for publishers to push the idea that you have zero ownership rights for the software you pay for, which is complete bullshit. That idea benefits the consumer not at all, and I can't imagine why anyone would support it.

Hint: publishers are not going to follow in Steam's footsteps and have sales where you can get digital copies for cheap. You already pay exactly the same price for digital copies of new games as you do for a physical boxed copy while getting less.

He sounds Lazy actually and didn't want to make his job have more responsibility, It's the growing trend to Multi-Task in the Tech field now.
Where the does this line of reasoning come from? How does having or not having optical-media have anything at all to do with the job of someone developing a game?

Omega-z
May 12, 2012, 05:42 PM
Because: Example would be like SoA, And yes it can effect your HP bar.

lostinseganet
May 12, 2012, 08:55 PM

If they call it Seganets, it would explode into the mainstream.I loved getting lost in the first seganet, and playing for the moment. Hopefully this seganet is MORE elaborate to get lost in.