PDA

View Full Version : You know what'd make this a true sequel?

AC9breaker
May 12, 2012, 12:39 AM
C-Mode, AMIRITE OR WUT?

More so then any other mode that can be added to this game, I thought cmode was just pure arcade gaming awesomeness manifested in online form. The variable dungeons and spawns to the map and the various puzzles made for a fantastic Indiana Jones Escapade. Limited resources and comprehensive understanding of the games mechanics, it was so great. It totally drew the line from the masters to the rest of rubes that loitered the game. Seeing the Rank over their heads GaBuz RaBuz or whatever the hell weird term they use to rank people. While Episode 2 c-mode wasn't as cool as Episode 1 c-mode, since they didn't have the random generating maps it still posed quite the challenge in that the enemies demanded a lot more preparation and planning on how they had to be dealt with.

anyway yeah that's what I was thinking.

BIG OLAF
May 12, 2012, 12:41 AM
I probably wouldn't even play it. Never played C-mode in PSOBB, or in PSP2 (which had a C-mode), so it's all the same to me.

Chik'Tikka
May 12, 2012, 12:57 AM
c-mode, huh? i have a feeling we'll see a version of it+^_^+ but it won't be a sequel until we has photon chair races!!!+^_^+

blace
May 12, 2012, 12:58 AM
The only times I ever did c mode, was for something different. It helps that PSO gave you customizable weapons, but that was a novelty.

ShadowDragon28
May 12, 2012, 01:09 AM
The "Time Attack Quests" that was announced may be PSO2's version of Challenge Mode. We'll have to wait and see how it's handled....

Zorafim
May 12, 2012, 02:16 AM
I was only ever able to play challenge mode in PSP2, and it was amazing. When I play games, I love time attacking them. And low level runs, stuff like that. That's what challenge mode felt like; like all those random levels in the game were built specifically to go through them all at once. It doesn't feel like you're grinding for extra exp or items, but instead feels like you're going through a game start to finish. So much fun!

I don't want this game to be a sequel to PSO, though. I guess I've been conditioned from PSU, where I wanted everything to be like the old stuff. But I think in this game, it's safe to say that a ton of stuff in it is just there to call the game a sequel. And if that's the case, I think the game should have everything the previous game had, and add on to it.

jmanx
May 12, 2012, 03:49 AM
I would love to see C-MODE in this i can see it now having PITfalls on some areas

Digital Pain
May 12, 2012, 06:26 AM
I would love a C-Mode in this game with random code events that would be amazing!

Kraiseson
May 12, 2012, 10:58 AM
The "Time Attack Quests" that was announced may be PSO2's version of Challenge Mode. We'll have to wait and see how it's handled....

This.

Rath-Kun
May 12, 2012, 12:23 PM
C-Mode, AMIRITE OR WUT?

YES, bring back the Bu-GOU

NoiseHERO
May 12, 2012, 12:26 PM

/Thread

AC9breaker
May 12, 2012, 04:26 PM

Pretty sure it's gonna be nothing like PSO's cmode and it's gonna be more like the the very trite Time Attack events they had on PSU. Also as for the customizable weapons where concerned, they where pretty useful and pretty good if you grinded them all the way and combo'd them with the right effect and equipment/race. My Cast was pretty beast with his; Paralysis rifle, Charge Twin Mechguns where also pretty cash, Megid Shot weapon was boss in mines, and the Zalure spread needle was so sweet for a cast and trap detonation purposes in large crowds.

Quatre52
May 12, 2012, 04:43 PM
Praying they bring back C-mode, it was one of my favorite things to play.

Wouldn't mind a return of those customized S rank weapons either..

NoiseHERO
May 12, 2012, 04:57 PM
Pretty sure it's gonna be nothing like PSO's cmode and it's gonna be more like the the very trite Time Attack events they had on PSU.

With most of this game so far being "SHUT UP PSO FANS WE'RE TRYING TO GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT!" I highly doubt they're make that mistake...

But you never know.

I'd be really disappointed if they left out challenge mode.

But now that you mention it, it WOULD be easy to just throw a timer on to the missions and call it "time attack!" If they did that, I probably won't be playing it.

Priest
May 12, 2012, 05:41 PM
But now that you mention it, it WOULD be easy to just throw a timer on to the missions and call it "time attack!" If they did that, I probably won't be playing it.

No way they would do this! Infact they already do for the emergency quest, so i think that feature will only be for those. Also, wouldn't it be odd for regular quests to have a time attack mode with multiparty areas? You get code collects everywhere and random bosses and whatever else might be stopping you from achieving a good time.

PSO Addict
May 12, 2012, 10:05 PM
Why is everyone so slow to catch on?!

SolRiver
May 13, 2012, 02:51 AM
Oh yes, I do love c-mode. Getting that s rank weapon with my name on it was also a very enjoyable achievement.

(and wow, i actually do remember ac9breaker's name... my goodness, must be one of the more unique name inside my name database[brain])

Rath-Kun
May 13, 2012, 02:57 AM
Never did finish C-MODE, been playing PSOBB though. Maybe I'll try for it again.

Priest
May 13, 2012, 03:01 AM
Never did finish C-MODE, been playing PSOBB though. Maybe I'll try for it again.

Me too, but I can't find any players willing to try it out. Anyone that wanted to play is going for leet times and i'm a noob so they don't want me ;p

soulpimpwizzurd
May 13, 2012, 04:29 AM
i just noticed the tags in this thread. wonderful.

btw inb4 people type "dash jump dash or gtfo"

cause you do go faster. looool.

AC9breaker
May 13, 2012, 09:23 AM
Me too, but I can't find any players willing to try it out. Anyone that wanted to play is going for leet times and i'm a noob so they don't want me ;p

Towards the end of the Gamecube PSO lifecycle it became more about just finding people who even wanted to do it rather then leet e-peen times. Even harder for anyone who wanted to do Episode 2 cmode. But I totally get what your saying. I remember being super intimidated by all the C-mode champs and their amazing understanding of the nuances of it, so I went and played in the JP C-mode dedicated ships and figured as long I can't understand them, they're not mad at me for fucking up! haha.

But yeah you crawl and walk before you can run. I remember the Bruces dungeon event getting me excited becuase it reminded me of Cmode, although super simple and linear.

@SolRiver: Your handle seems vaguely familiar too. Guess we probably played quite a bit back in the days.

Rath-Kun
May 13, 2012, 01:50 PM
Skyping and C-mode would be a blast

NoiseHERO
May 13, 2012, 02:21 PM
Huh... never read the tags...

Doesn't look like anyone really got trolled...

Regardless I still hope it's like challenge mode. >3>;

Dragwind
May 13, 2012, 06:42 PM
Chances seem high that there will be a similar c-mode in effect for PSO2. I don't think they're going to pass that up.

Randomness
May 13, 2012, 06:51 PM
Chances seem high that there will be a similar c-mode in effect for PSO2. I don't think they're going to pass that up.

I hope not. C-mode was very enjoyable.

I never did get my S-rank, but I had cleared Ep. 2 up through Gal Griffon (God, that was a tense fight, always desperately hoping he wouldn't one shot someone with something...)

Powder Keg
May 14, 2012, 12:04 AM
I never ended up finishing C-mode either, but I did think it was a fun challenge for what I DID end up completing. Those S-rank weapons just weren't worth it overall.

Macman
May 14, 2012, 12:17 AM
Those S-rank weapons just weren't worth it overall.You never tried a Demon/Hell Needle, have you?

Ark22
May 14, 2012, 12:49 AM
Challenge mode separated the good players from the actually beasts.

SolRiver
May 14, 2012, 02:02 AM
C-mode really just require...

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/3994562_460s.jpg

How to tell if someone is stubborn or not... just check if they completed c-mode or not XD

ShadowDragon28
May 14, 2012, 02:36 AM
I completed C-mode. Had an awesome sword names "Alis Sword" ^_^

Rath-Kun
May 14, 2012, 09:38 AM
I never did get a Spread Needle, or an S-Rank wep. Would be fun to get one *-*

serenade
May 14, 2012, 10:59 AM
c-mode was the best thing EVER.

i'm hoping time attack plays out the same way.

start with bare necessities and have to strategically work together to clear the levels (and bosses) in the fasted amount of time possible.

i hope they bring back the player graves too. maybe expand it a little so when you come across it it has your death macro as your headstone engraving.

it'd be so funny to walk past my TA grave and see "I lived as I died.....rather poorly"

Rath-Kun
May 14, 2012, 12:09 PM
There were player graves? xD

Wasn't that exclusive to C-MODE?

Macman
May 14, 2012, 03:17 PM
The c-mode graves kept track of your deaths in a stage, what you were last killed by, and the last thing you said before dying.

Oh, and sometimes they'd drop pity monomates/fluids.

serenade
May 14, 2012, 03:18 PM
There were player graves? xD

Wasn't that exclusive to C-MODE?

yes it was. if time attack is going to be our new version of c-mode, i'd like to see the graves return telling you where you died, and how many times on a specific mission like they used.

AC9breaker
May 14, 2012, 04:10 PM
oh man, I totally forgot about the player graves. I think episode 2 didn't have them since I distinctly remember getting served by Ill Gills, Gal Gryphon and Olga Flow many times, and don't recall seeing graves. Maybe they could do like some Demon's/Dark Souls-esque thing and show a ghost of how you died.

Yunfa
May 19, 2012, 05:37 PM
My most bewilderment moment in my life while playing videogames was checking the time, 6:00am, playing C-mode on Gamecube with JP players, checked the time again AFTER a notable passing of time, when I looked @ the clock, 6:00am. No I was not smoking anything. It was thanks to C-Mode that I did not sleep for 3 days straight doing continuous runs with JP players. Result? YUN'S DOUBESABER & YUN'S RIFLE. (Doublesaber was lost to do BSOD)

RocSage
May 19, 2012, 05:40 PM
It'd be funny to find a grave that said "Hey this grave here says...wwwwdasasdwaadswa"

RadiantLegend
May 21, 2012, 09:26 AM
You never tried a Demon/Hell Needle, have you?
My RAmar was godly with it + Frozen shooter + Charge vulcans. Nothing he couldn't solo.

moorebounce
May 21, 2012, 09:51 AM
You know what'd make this a true sequel?

If I was in a car accident and lost my memory in 2006 and never knew PU.......I mean PSU never existed. :(

Gardios
May 21, 2012, 02:11 PM
It'd be funny to find a grave that said
"Gary was here! Ash is a loser!"

NoiseHERO
May 21, 2012, 02:19 PM
"Gary was here! Ash is a loser!"

You just beat the game of life.

Angelic Fae
May 22, 2012, 12:45 PM
Reading down this thread it seems that everyone here is hell obsessed on C-mode. Now I never played pso past ep2 so I don't really know how good it was but damn... Here was me thinking sequels were about advancing the game and putting more into the experience but it would seem I was wrong, it's about rehashing old modes and doing the same thing as before. As I said before I haven't played C-mode so I may not be the best judge but I think a sequel should sport new content rather than old.

C-mode must have been one hell of a mode...

SolRiver
May 22, 2012, 02:20 PM
Well, sequel is making old things better. Continuing the legacy. Etc.

If it is completely new things and done away with the old, it is not a sequel, but a new and different thing.

Not having c-mode imo, was a step backward instead of forward. Which was what PSU was in comparison to PSO. If PSU had been the prequel of PSO, I would probably have no complaints regarding its game design. (not saying PSU is all bad)

NoiseHERO
May 22, 2012, 02:52 PM
Reading down this thread it seems that everyone here is hell obsessed on C-mode. Now I never played pso past ep2 so I don't really know how good it was but damn... Here was me thinking sequels were about advancing the game and putting more into the experience but it would seem I was wrong, it's about rehashing old modes and doing the same thing as before. As I said before I haven't played C-mode so I may not be the best judge but I think a sequel should sport new content rather than old.

C-mode must have been one hell of a mode...

Well if you read this thread, you have to understand how it works. It really brings out the strategy, tactics and teamwork oh these games. And you know when playing with friends... strategy is REEEAAALLLY fun.

Bro fist victory fun.

RocSage
May 22, 2012, 03:03 PM
I don't like things in a game that i can't do alone, such as challenge mode missions and i also don't like things in game where unless i say what i'm doing it can be very aggravating to play with someone. For example, playing the same mission over and over again to get something.

I also wish that all of a given planet would be open to everyone the team at the same time. I always liked that aspect of PSO. If the creator of the room had up to x unlocked you could run into any of the unlocked stuff that you wanted. Though at the same time that also proved annoying sometimes with people running ahead and ruining parties.

NoiseHERO
May 22, 2012, 03:49 PM
I don't like things in a game that i can't do alone, such as challenge mode missions and i also don't like things in game where unless i say what i'm doing it can be very aggravating to play with someone. For example, playing the same mission over and over again to get something.

I also wish that all of a given planet would be open to everyone the team at the same time. I always liked that aspect of PSO. If the creator of the room had up to x unlocked you could run into any of the unlocked stuff that you wanted. Though at the same time that also proved annoying sometimes with people running ahead and ruining parties.

Yeah I wouldn't go anywhere near challenge mode with strangers or without mic chat.

Seriously, dudes. Force your friends to get into this game. It's free now. :0

Chik'Tikka
May 22, 2012, 06:19 PM

this^^^ it doesn't even matter how many friends i have on the same game, i just get sick of people sometimes (a lot actually) and like to do things on my own or with strangers that don't give a d***+^_^+

SolRiver
May 22, 2012, 07:23 PM
I remember that I completed c-mode mostly with strangers. (and naturally a few become friend along the way)

I think it was because the community back then was quite different. These days, these time attack kind of thing, I would be more hesitant to play with strangers...

I think the issue was that back then (on GC and DC), there were so many hacked and duped weapon, to the point that the ONLY people that played c-mode are either hardcore legit (i'm one), or is there just for the challenge. So finding the right kind of people at c-mode block was MUCH easier.

Now if c-mode come out again, I wonder if I would have trouble finding similar minded people to team with. Especially if say c-mode also give a really good weapon, and now people are there for the reward instead of the challenge... I could see it being more frustrating to find decent players.

AC9breaker
May 22, 2012, 07:32 PM
The thing that always blows my mind away is how whenever people bring up ideas for modes and gametypes in games that are superfluous to the main gaming experience, there always seems to be a crowd who argues against such ideas and thoughts. It's as if the inclusions of such modes, which bare little to no effect on how they will play the game, will ruin the game.

Anyway, after awhile you become so familiar with cmode that it becomes pretty casual and you can do it with little to no communication. I mean hell, I don't speak or understand any kind of moonspeak and was 16 at the time but still played the hell and had fun with random JP Cmode games. Hell most of the customizable weapons I got in C-mode where with random ass english teams. The only time I had a set group of people who we played cmode with was when episode 2 cmode came out because the game population was slowly dying and the community wasn't as robust as it was in the path. So it was hard enough finding people who wanted to do it, let alone people who where at the same stage that you where.

I think the issue was that back then (on GC and DC), there were so many hacked and duped weapon, to the point that the ONLY people that played c-mode are either hardcore legit (i'm one), or is there just for the challenge. So finding the right kind of people at c-mode block was MUCH easier.

Yeah I think you hit the nail on the head. I wasn't a hardcore paladin of the legit legion. But I didn't care for how challenge defeating hacks made the game which was my main reason for avoiding them. Plus now that I think about it, the cmode community seemed pretty great and friendly in helping people learn how to play it. Unlike the Time Attack rubes you see running around now a days on PSU.

Omega-z
May 22, 2012, 08:38 PM
Well, there is the new Hard mode on PSO2 .... Let's see how it will work out to see if it's close to a c-mode of old with add twists....Maybec.