PDA

View Full Version : PSM - Overzealous Magazine or Good News Item? (Pic)

AzureBlaze
May 12, 2012, 11:32 PM
If this should go into the "Release news topic" may a mod copypaste it to there.
If this is merely overzealousness...may it go down and away.

Print magazines aren't always right about stuff. However, unlike random internet blogs or unsubstanciated sources they don't tend to rumormonger or 'wishful thinking' on stuff.
However...

The June issue of PSM 059 has a "Feature Next on Vita" Article and it highlights PSO2 as you can see here in the scan:

(attached to post)

It's nothing we don't already know (of course) just about how the vita will work with the PC version and etc. (Being PSM, it doesn't care/cover PC games) I don't think "12 Years in the Making" is right either because that implies someone worked on it for 12 years which is not the case. It should say "12 years we've waited for this" or something.

1. It's good to see actual print magazines giving PSO2 coverage
2. Is this some kind of confirmation the whole batch (PC & Vita) will be soon to the worldwide audience? The 2013 Vita date is right according to what we heard here so far anyway.

Chik'Tikka
May 13, 2012, 12:01 AM
Overzealous+^_^+ totally overzealous, i remember reading in a top magazine back in the day about PSU, and look at how that turned out, had 2 pages on it too+^_^+

NoiseHERO
May 13, 2012, 01:01 AM
I remember when the DS was new and NintendoPower said a Chrono Trigger port was in he making, we didn't see that game till the end of the DS's lifespan when it got turned into a shovelware tool. You know in terms of magazines.

But yeah, I don't think it's uncommon to talk about a foreign game. I'm still waiting on what happens at E3.

moorebounce
May 13, 2012, 03:44 AM
IMO it should say either 11 years in the making from Ver.2 or 8 years from the Blue Burst version.

Man I haven't had a magazine subscription since the mid to late 90s.

Rath-Kun
May 13, 2012, 12:46 PM
That's awesome. Glad to see PSO2 anywhere. I'd still like PSO merch ;-;

D-Inferno
May 13, 2012, 01:01 PM
I remember buying the EGM magazine that had PSU as it's cover story.

Gardios
May 13, 2012, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't read anything into it. Wouldn't be the first time they're releasing a release date of a game that never made it over after all.

Kazzi
May 13, 2012, 02:53 PM

There's plenty of PSO merch (though it's pretty much all RAcaseal stuff for some reason), but I have a HUmar/Ash figure somewhere.

And I'm glad magazines are covering this! But never trust release dates.

kyuuketsuki
May 13, 2012, 06:10 PM
Despite the magazine stating PC and Vita players playing side-by-side as fact, the official word is that it's still pending internal testing.

Randomness
May 13, 2012, 06:18 PM
Despite the magazine stating PC and Vita players playing side-by-side as fact, the official word is that it's still pending internal testing.

Hey, they already did PC/PS2. Same problem.

Rauten
May 13, 2012, 07:22 PM
Hey, they already did PC/PS2. Same problem.

Not quite, on PSU they based all versions of the game on the PS2 version, to make sure all of them ran the same exact game. So, both the 360 and the PC were running a game based on a greatly inferior hardware.

In this case however, the base game is for PC, and the Vita, as beastly as it is for a handheld, is a vastly inferior piece of hardware. So they have to try to fit the PC version into a much less powerful machine while trying to keep as many features as possible.

It's doable to a degree, I guess, but it depends on SEGA's programmers as well as their budget for the project.

PSO Addict
May 13, 2012, 07:25 PM
Print is so old school.

Blizz3112
May 15, 2012, 06:36 PM
Yeah... Why use that, if a site does the same, only much much better... ;-)

Finalzone
May 16, 2012, 02:12 PM
Not quite, on PSU they based all versions of the game on the PS2 version, to make sure all of them ran the same exact game. So, both the 360 and the PC were running a game based on a greatly inferior hardware.

In this case however, the base game is for PC, and the Vita, as beastly as it is for a handheld, is a vastly inferior piece of hardware. So they have to try to fit the PC version into a much less powerful machine while trying to keep as many features as possible.

It's doable to a degree, I guess, but it depends on SEGA's programmers as well as their budget for the project.
It can be done given the fact the PC version allow the customization of setting. PS Vita version is essential a lower end PC.

Taitu
May 16, 2012, 02:20 PM
People seem to be oblivious to the reason why PSU was bottlenecked by the PS2. It had nothing to do with how powerful the PS2 was. Rendering being the main issue was handled per machine, not serverside, meaning that the PS2 could use a completely different set of models and textures from the PC version and still work properly as long as it had models and textures that could be matched up to every object ID sent over to the system.

The issue that the PS2 brought up was that it had no reliable way to receive truly new content for there to be any real updates to the game. Later on Sega realized that they could simply reuse models for the PS2 version in place of any new ones from the PC version; however, that was much too late in PSU's life cycle. The Vita does not have this memory restriction; thus, it will not bottleneck the PC version at all.

GeoSword
May 17, 2012, 01:48 AM
Overzealous+^_^+ totally overzealous, i remember reading in a top magazine back in the day about PSU, and look at how that turned out, had 2 pages on it too+^_^+

I think that would be the main PSU coverage on how they said MAGs were gone completely and vehicles were "an integral part of gameplay" on the magazine Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM). In fact, I just finished reading that same article not too long ago. Oh, the broken promises...

Nostdrea
May 17, 2012, 02:18 AM
This entire topic has reminded me of the time that Nova from Starcraft Ghost was featured on the cover of Xbox Magazine. Twice.
(For those who do not remember Starcraft Ghost there is a reason for that: It never came out.)

In regards to unreleased or new products, many news sources cobble together information from impromptu interviews, external sources, or exclusive interviews. The latter is the least common.

Currently our most reliable source of information about PSO2 is Sakai's friday blogs. Beyond this we should be skeptical at best.

Chik'Tikka
May 17, 2012, 02:25 AM
This entire topic has reminded me of the time that Nova from Starcraft Ghost was featured on the cover of Xbox Magazine. Twice.
(For those who do not remember Starcraft Ghost there is a reason for that: It never came out.)

In regards to unreleased or new products, many news sources cobble together information from impromptu interviews, external sources, or exclusive interviews. The latter is the least common.

Currently our most reliable source of information about PSO2 is Sakai's friday blogs. Beyond this we should be skeptical at best.

lolz, i remember reading about this+^_^+
http://media.gamestats.com/gg/image/scghost_prelimxbox_160wboxart_160w.jpg

Roger Triton
May 20, 2012, 08:24 PM
It can be done given the fact the PC version allow the customization of setting. PS Vita version is essential a lower end PC.
Hold on....right...THAR!

Vita has specs that rival a P3 processor. I would say that's hardly a "lower end PC".
The Vita has a few shortcomings, but as long as the PSO2 team accounts for graphics buffering on the Vita, all should be OK.

AC9breaker
May 20, 2012, 10:37 PM
신뢰할수없다. 생각해봐라 이전에 의료선으로 뻔히 모선뽑은거 봣는데 전투순양함을 산개시키지않고 모아서갓다는 것 자체가 짜고치는거다. 어떤 정신나간자가 결승에서 모선뽑은거 뻔히봣는데 병력한꺼번에 모아가나. 이미3세트에서 결승자는 가린거고 4세트부터는 쇼타임이엇겟지. 걍 둘이짜고친거라보면된다

Syl
May 21, 2012, 02:44 AM

I still have my Dreamcast official magazine from a long time ago that featured PSO DC on it. :3

Eh, well it is like some magazines to hype a game before it's released only to shoot it down as crappy when it actually releases.

Chik'Tikka
May 21, 2012, 04:31 PM
신뢰할수없다. 생각해봐라 이전에 의료선으로 뻔히 모선뽑은거 봣는데 전투순양함을 산개시키지않고 모아서갓다는 것 자체가 짜고치는거다. 어떤 정신나간자가 결승에서 모선뽑은거 뻔히봣는데 병력한꺼번에 모아가나. 이미3세트에서 결승자는 가린거고 4세트부터는 쇼타임이엇겟지. 걍 둘이짜고친거라보면된다

wha? i can't read Korean and Google translate failed me; "Can not really be trusted. Think, obvious to the bus and unplug the wire before retirement medical bwatneunde freshly collected without inflation battle cruiser that'll play itself is salty. Unplug a crazy party bus in the final retreat was obvious bwat troops gathered together in Ghana. Final four in the third set already set the starting syotaimyieotgetji garingeogo. Date when they are called gyang gochingeo"
see?+^_^+