PDA

View Full Version : What control scheme(s) do you use?

KunoMochi
May 14, 2012, 10:02 PM
I was just wondering, what do/will you all use to play PSO2? Keyboard and mouse? Gamepad/joypad?

Personally, I think I might switch back to using a joypad control scheme when I play. I remembered trying to play with a keyboard and mouse for FFXI, but I felt so much more comfortable controlling my character using a joypad with dual analog sticks.

More or less, I'm just curious about how many people might prefer to use one scheme over another, or vice versa. Hell, maybe someone prefers using a flightstick to play PSO, who knows? :-P

FenixStryk
May 14, 2012, 10:11 PM
I use a modified Keyboard/Mouse layout. The precision and accuracy of a mouse cannot be equaled using a pad, and certain inputs are easier with four left fingers vs. a thumb and two indexes. Holding a pad every now and then feels great, but there's no sense in using one if it's a downgrade.

As for what I modified: I moved Dash from X to F, and moved one or two other functions closer to WASD (Map, etc.). The default layout isn't terrible and it was only a beta test, so I didn't bother to stress over hotkeys 6-0 being too far, certain palette swap issues, and so on.

I once heard that someone went through the hassle of finding a Dreamcast-to-USB converter just so they could use a DC pad for PSO2. I wish I could say it was unimaginable...

Brimcon
May 14, 2012, 10:15 PM
I have come to rely on the 360 controller, due to wrist/arm pain. Its a great fit for it too, especially as a Ranger. Since the speed slows down automatically for Launchers [Preferred weapon] when you use them, precision and accuracy is not an issue [then again.. Explosions.] And with non-shooter mode, It feels like PSU does, and you can Lock on anyways, so Accuracy doesn't really matter then.

vividspider
May 14, 2012, 10:17 PM
Keyboard and mouse for sure.

CelestialBlade
May 14, 2012, 10:20 PM
Logitech Dual-Action (PS2/3 clone). Button-wise I'm basically emulating PSP2's control scheme.

stheno
May 14, 2012, 10:25 PM
Since there is TPS mode I'll be on kb+m. If it was strictly traditional, I wouldn't mind chillin and sitting back with a gamepad, but that isn't the case. I despise aiming with a gamepad and I'm not willing to give up the edge you get with aiming with a mouse.

Drifting Fable
May 14, 2012, 10:29 PM
360 gamepad. Ever since I played devil may cry, I can't fathom the idea of using PC controls for action oriented games. Props to those who do, I'm just wired differently. Then again I'm still a user of the track ball mouse.

I did make some odd modifications like moving the attack buttons to the triggers and dashing the the left thumb stick button so I can be a lot more nimble in a boss fight,....and correcting who ever thought mapping "accepting" to the B button was a good idea.

Chik'Tikka
May 14, 2012, 10:32 PM
360 Pad+^_^+ claw style+^_^+
*index finger for skittle buttons*
and mapping accept to B feels natural enough as most of my PS2 games used circle+^_^+
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EQo-QYzXpiE/TU8VfAVgkuI/AAAAAAAAAU4/8MXemly9XKo/s1600/The-Claw.png

goldwing
May 14, 2012, 10:49 PM
I to also use a 360 pad

Powder Keg
May 14, 2012, 11:11 PM
Definitely using a PS2 controller. Could never play a game on a keyboard.

Gardios
May 14, 2012, 11:17 PM
DualShock 2. Makes aiming in shooting mode a bit harder, but I can live with that.

NoiseHERO
May 14, 2012, 11:17 PM
360 Pad+^_^+ claw style+^_^+
*index finger for skittle buttons*
and mapping accept to B feels natural enough as most of my PS2 games used circle+^_^+
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EQo-QYzXpiE/TU8VfAVgkuI/AAAAAAAAAU4/8MXemly9XKo/s1600/The-Claw.png

Augh, I hated how I always subconsciously used my index finger to use PAs on my PS2 controller in PSU. (Similar to this pic)

But XBOX 360 controller's default set up feels Viewtiful in PSO2 for me.

BIG OLAF
May 14, 2012, 11:40 PM
Xbox 360 controller. After playing PSU for about six years, I'm used to that setup. PSO2's default Xbox controller layout is pretty similar to PSU's, so I'm rolling with that.

ashley50
May 14, 2012, 11:45 PM
Keyboard/Mouse or Gamepad.

Cyrusnagisa
May 14, 2012, 11:49 PM
Since this game is a console style game, I use a 360 controller with default setup, works perfect for me

Polly
May 14, 2012, 11:53 PM
I initially started playing with a gamepad, but by the end of my first hour, I really just didn't like how it felt for some reason. I had everything properly configured, but it just didn't feel as good as it should have to me.

I switched to keyboard and mouse and I don't ever see myself playing the game any other way. I was surprised at how natural it felt, given that I've hated any keyboard and mouse setup for previous PSO/PSU games, but this game was clearly built with keyboard and mouse controls in mind and therefore feels more intuitive.

Though PSO2 looks the part of a console style game, it in no way feels like one to me, so keyboard and mouse all the way.

soulpimpwizzurd
May 15, 2012, 12:11 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193051

old thread but i basically asked the same thing. it seems like a toss up.

i personally prefer keyboard and mouse, i like the tps mode too much. and i've pretty much always only done gaming on computers. i can't aim using an analog stick for my life, and when playing ranger getting does weakspots/headshots for extra damage is too gud.

KunoMochi
May 15, 2012, 12:13 AM
For those of you that are using PS2 controllers, that's exactly what I had in mind. XD I'll have to see if I can fix the controller that I had used; one of the button springs is broken.

Sometimes I like having all those commands right at my fingertips (so to speak), but if the control scheme is more catered for keyboard and mouse, I might stick with it instead.

@deldelight8:
Ahh, I didn't realize that there was already a thread like this made. Sorry for making yet another one, then. ^^;

Spellbinder
May 15, 2012, 12:24 AM
Full keyboard, no mouse. Still got my fingers crossed they'll add in options to rotate the camera with the keyboard.

Peejay
May 15, 2012, 01:08 AM
Keyboard/Mouse here. I rarely use gamepads because I can't find the precision that I want with them. It relates to why a lot of games going crossplatform ruins them entirely to make them all play evenly.

Rath-Kun
May 15, 2012, 02:09 AM
PS3 controller, the attacks were square and triangle though. Which was kinda odd at first but it grew on my quickly.

Shinji Kazuya
May 15, 2012, 02:39 AM
PS3 controller too.

CyberNei
May 15, 2012, 02:45 AM
Wireless PS3 controller, cause gonna play on my 37" TV.

Blackheart521
May 15, 2012, 02:49 AM
I would be using mouse and keyboard, and I did as a hunter for the majority of the beta then tried the 360 controller because I don't currently have a working mouse, just a touchpad on my laptop, and the controller works amazingly for hunter since there is no aiming other than the occasional ranged attack from the gunslash.

For being a ranger or force I would honestly hate using a gamepad, tried it with my ship 6 ranger character and it is just annoying aiming like that... definitely am going to get a mouse for OBT and release even if I plan on maining as a hunter cuz I am going to try to max all classes out to stay versatile ^^

Ark22
May 15, 2012, 02:54 AM
Ps3 controller because of PSU and PSP2.

moorebounce
May 15, 2012, 03:28 AM
It's the 360 controller for me plus with the ability to D-pad through the 1-0 keys you can't get any better IMO.

Konflyk
May 15, 2012, 04:53 AM
Gamepad-PS3, Keyboard for map, chat, etc. functions
I don't ever plan on playing a Ranger I have no need for the keyboard/Mouse, I will play hunter/force and they're fine to use since I can just tag all the elements I need to one weapon and with 6 slots I can have 1 of each element + cards(dat gizonde)

CyberNei
May 15, 2012, 05:16 AM
Well, actually playing ranger on gamepad isn't that hard. You don't have to aim at target accurately, or even play in that TPS mode, which made more for mouse. Just get taget in view, lock on and pew pew pew. Makes it even easier with bosses. Lock on boss part, that you want to hurt/destroy and do your work.

Miyoko
May 15, 2012, 05:39 AM
Keyboard and mouse. Ranger who lived in TPS mode.

That being said, I really, really hope they make double-tap to dodge an option, as well as making the dodge key dodge you the direction you're moving, not the direction your facing. Only being able to dodge forward with the dodge key is... Kinda useless.

I know I've said this before BUT IT REALLY IRRITATED ME >:(

zelda_king3
May 15, 2012, 05:45 AM
Keyboard and Mouse only because I can type and play at the same time without dropping a controller.

Rauten
May 15, 2012, 09:20 AM
The way of the PC Gaming Master Race, of course.
*Raises flame shield*

Keyboard and Mouse.

Zeota
May 15, 2012, 09:23 AM
Controller all the way. Any other way just doesn't feel right.

AnnabellaRenee87
May 15, 2012, 09:27 AM
Depends where I am. If on my desktop I play strictly keyboard and mouse, on my laptop is where things change.

I have an HDMI out on my laptop so if using it away from a TV I play keyboard and mouse if I play next to a TV I put the laptop on the TV with HDMI and play with a 360 controller, oh look I guess I don't need a console version of the game :P

Peejay
May 15, 2012, 09:33 AM
Keyboard and mouse. Ranger who lived in TPS mode.

That being said, I really, really hope they make double-tap to dodge an option, as well as making the dodge key dodge you the direction you're moving, not the direction your facing. Only being able to dodge forward with the dodge key is... Kinda useless.

I know I've said this before BUT IT REALLY IRRITATED ME >:(

You can dodge-roll the way you want in TPS mode, though. If you're in auto-aim mode, then it'll just roll you forward or change your direction to do so.

Angelo
May 15, 2012, 09:52 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NJeOS7QXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Blackheart521
May 15, 2012, 09:55 AM

now THAT would be awesome to use, just hookup that to the computer and hook a TV up as a monitor and you'd be set for hours without even putting that thing down.

Angelo
May 15, 2012, 09:58 AM
now THAT would be awesome to use, just hookup that to the computer and hook a TV up as a monitor and you'd be set for hours without even putting that thing down.

It also has a built-in 'air mouse', which means you can hit the little mouse arrow button in the bottom left corner there and move the controller around like a Wii remote.

I'm actually browsing the forums on my TV atm. Been playing Tera all morning.

Rath-Kun
May 15, 2012, 10:09 AM
Fancy.

The keyboard/mouse controls felt really good. As long as y'know.. you're not using a laptop mouse.

Silenttank
May 15, 2012, 10:55 AM

Ballin'

Keyboard & mouse for me. That's how I played PSU so I'll stick to my roots.

soulpimpwizzurd
May 15, 2012, 11:11 AM
You can dodge-roll the way you want in TPS mode, though. If you're in auto-aim mode, then it'll just roll you forward or change your direction to do so.

http://forum.cheatengine.org/files/1334504795031_163.png

did someone say auto aim mode

only forgivable if you're going controller since aiming with analog stick is unpossible

Peejay
May 15, 2012, 11:35 AM
http://forum.cheatengine.org/files/1334504795031_163.png

did someone say auto aim mode

only forgivable if you're going controller since aiming with analog stick is unpossible

There's some phalluses in a bucket for you. Go dig in. I am just stating as an example, why would you even USE auto with a launcher? Bugger off.

Kion
May 15, 2012, 11:35 AM
Wireless Logicool F710 controller. Has X-input so XBox 360 controls with PS2 controller layout.

http://www.logicool.co.jp/assets/33748/4/wireless-gamepad-f710.png

Gama
May 15, 2012, 11:54 AM
ps3 controler with xbox 360 controller emulator. and a wireless mouse for aiming if needed.

Chik'Tikka
May 15, 2012, 11:55 AM

unpossible????? why don't you hop on Gears of War 3 (which doesn't have any form of auto aim like CoD, Battlefield, and Halo has) and we'll have us a sniper dual....
PSO2 TPS with 360 controller feels very similar and is easier for me then a mouse ever would be+^_^+

Rauten
May 15, 2012, 12:15 PM
PSO2 TPS with 360 controller feels very similar and is easier for me then a mouse ever would be

I find that impossible to believe.

Peejay
May 15, 2012, 12:20 PM
It is probably because Chik'Tikka uses those emotes he does to set up some sort of forcefield around his internet persona that causes his very existence to defy all logic.

Again, wasn't this supposed to be more of a poll?

BIG OLAF
May 15, 2012, 12:22 PM
I find that impossible to believe.

Some people have an easier time with a controller, including me. I could never play shooters with a mouse. I've tried it. My hands twitch and shake too much for that kind of precision. The only games I like playing with an exclusive keyboard/mouse combo are top-down dungeon-crawlers like Diablo.

Going into "aiming mode" as a Ranger in PSO2 reminded me a lot of the Lost Planet games, and I thought it was awesome.

Rauten
May 15, 2012, 12:27 PM
Some people have an easier time with a controller, including me. I could never play shooters with a mouse. I've tried it. My hands twitch and shake too much for that kind of precision.

It's not the whole "having an easier time with a gamepad", it's the "ever", or in your case, "never"; As someone with a screwed up nervous system who can never stop moving, even if ever so slightly, all it took was practice until I was popping heads in TF2 like a pro.
Well ok, not like a pro, but at least I was decent at it.

What I mean to say simply is: it's all about practice. And once you get the hang of the mouse, nothing can ever compare.
And yes Chik'Tikka, I've played Gears of War. Online. Does a fine job, one the best console FPS when it comes to aiming, but is still below mouse control.

It is probably because Chik'Tikka uses those emotes he does to set up some sort of forcefield around his internet persona that causes his very existence to defy all logic.

I'll admit, I laughed.

BIG OLAF
May 15, 2012, 12:30 PM
Well, I'd rather not have to 'practice' with a mouse when I can already use a controller just fine. Even if it can "never compare", I don't care much. I use what I'm comfortable with. Not like I'm playing to be the best player ever for all time.

Spellbinder
May 15, 2012, 12:35 PM
I wanna be, the very best....

Rauten
May 15, 2012, 12:42 PM
I use what I'm comfortable with. Not like I'm playing to be the best player ever for all time.

Neither do I, it's simply that a mouse becomes much more comfortable when you finally get used to it.

Chik'Tikka
May 15, 2012, 12:47 PM
It's not the whole "having an easier time with a gamepad", it's the "ever", or in your case, "never"; As someone with a screwed up nervous system who can never stop moving, even if ever so slightly, all it took was practice until I was popping heads in TF2 like a pro.
Well ok, not like a pro, but at least I was decent at it.

What I mean to say simply is: it's all about practice. And once you get the hang of the mouse, nothing can ever compare.
And yes Chik'Tikka, I've played Gears of War. Online. Does a fine job, one the best console FPS when it comes to aiming, but is still below mouse control.

I'll admit, I laughed.

thanks for agreeing with me on Gears having one of the best control schemes+^_^+ and with the new sensitivity patch i put everything 30-30-30+^_^+ invented a little thing i like to call tornado bouncing, going into a wall slide and doing a full 180 like SNAP and pop them domes+^_^+

Sidney
May 15, 2012, 01:23 PM
I use an Xbox 360 controller, and it's very comfortable for me. :) One of the reasons I love Phantasy Star games is the fact you have the option of using a controller; it's easier for me, as a person with a lot of joint problems, to manage. That, and I play on a laptop while laying on my bed (sinking into a mountain of pillows), so there's not much of an option for a mouse anyhow! I'm glad there's versatility, though - people should be able to pick whichever option feels most natural to them.

Taitu
May 15, 2012, 01:28 PM
I play Hunter, so precision movement is far more important to me than precision camera control. That being said I use a Logitech controller with a Dualshock controller layout.

soulpimpwizzurd
May 15, 2012, 01:50 PM
There's some phalluses in a bucket for you. Go dig in. I am just stating as an example, why would you even USE auto with a launcher? Bugger off.

it's all simply jesting, lol dis guy. auto aim has it's moments like aiming at dragon tail with rifle when he's swinging it everywhere.

@taitu lol i can precision movement with keyboard perfectly. PROBUBLY CUZ I PLAID GUNZ oh man that game. nah but i have pretty much zero problems with keyboard movement. i like the precision of hitting the keyboard buttons compared to wiggling my thumb back and forth a bunch. unless you play with dpad, which i think is better and worse than analog since you get more precise input imo, but you can't move diagonally as easily.

but even dpad sometimes depending on the controller isn't precise. it kinda feels gooey if you get what i mean. i dont think i could do the multi directional dash jump dash as fast/precisely if i was using a controller because, to do it at it's top speed you have to press up up up space up. the last two up's are basically any other direction. so up up left space left would make me dash up first then very quickly left.

if i was doing this with analog stick i'd have to hit up twice with my thumb then left with my thumb, all using one finger. however left and up on keyboard is covered by two fingers, not just one. so it's faster. the concept is the same when you compare it to dpad.

tapping a button for me is faster than moving my thumb x amount in a certain direction. comparatively, my fingers do not have to move to hit the movement buttons, since they're already there. hopefully you get what i mean.

now i'm not saying the speed difference is huge, but it probably shaves off like .1/.2 seconds. and that surprisingly enough actually matters in this game since you don't get lag hit by monsters which is awesome.

tl;dr you could just argue it's a matter of what you're more used to and have more comfortable muscle memory with. a buddy of mine can't move his fingers very fast so he struggles with keyboard input, and as a result, does better with a controller.

Taitu
May 15, 2012, 02:01 PM
it's all simply jesting, lol dis guy. auto aim has it's moments like aiming at dragon tail with rifle when he's swinging it everywhere.

@taitu lol i can precision movement with keyboard perfectly. PROBUBLY CUZ I PLAID GUNZ on man that game. nah but i have pretty much zero problems with keyboard movement. i like the precision of hitting the keyboard buttons compared to wiggling my thumb back and forth a bunch.

Similar to how you can still aim precisely with a controller you can still move precisely with the keyboard. On the keyboard though since you are restricted to 8 way movement you are forced to play with the camera to truly move precisely whereas the controller has a full range of movement making it superior for player movement.

soulpimpwizzurd
May 15, 2012, 02:16 PM
Similar to how you can still aim precisely with a controller you can still move precisely with the keyboard. On the keyboard though since you are restricted to 8 way movement you are forced to play with the camera to truly move precisely whereas the controller has a full range of movement making it superior for player movement.

oh yeah, you do have 360 degree movement. das true. i move so much in accordance with the camera it's close to second nature for me to move my camera to adapt to where i want to move exactly. but yeah you definitely have a point. i've just played too many computer games so i didnt even think of that advantage since it's irrelevant to me. it's still relevant to many others though i'm sure, possibly not as used to mouse+keyboard play.

also @ chik tikka dw man i'm more than sure you could destroy me if we 1v1'd both with analog. i know there are some dudes who prefer it but i still think dey cray cray. aiming with mouse just feels way smoother. my lack of analog aim skills probably came from gamecube being the last console i got loool. and not having any fps games for gamecube. mostly just played mario games which was awesome. and pso 1+2 ofc

CyberNei
May 15, 2012, 03:05 PM
i dont think i could do the multi directional dash jump dash as fast/precisely if i was using a controller because, to do it at it's top speed you have to press up up up space up. the last two up's are basically any other direction. so up up left space left would make me dash up first then very quickly left.

if i was doing this with analog stick i'd have to hit up twice with my thumb then left with my thumb, all using one finger. however left and up on keyboard is covered by two fingers, not just one. so it's faster. the concept is the same when you compare it to dpad.

You don't have to tap d-pad or stick twice for dash on controller, there is dash key for it. o.o
So just hold stick in needed direction and tap dash key.

Gama
May 15, 2012, 03:54 PM
i wonder f the symbol chat is wacom compatible...

moorebounce
May 15, 2012, 05:44 PM
Neither do I, it's simply that a mouse becomes much more comfortable when you finally get used to it.

Trying to Play games with a mouse and keyboard for me is like a Madden football fan trying to play 2K football for the first time. Just like fans of the mouse and keyoard know if that person who likes the gamepad just give it a long enough try they may like the mouse and keyboard better than the gamepad.

Chik'Tikka
May 15, 2012, 06:03 PM
(sinking into a mountain of pillows),
pillowses........

also, wasn't you avatar pic in color before?+^_^+

You don't have to tap d-pad or stick twice for dash on controller, there is dash key for it. o.o
Yep, and mapping it to the lime skittle makes it feel just like rolling on Gears of War+^_^+

Rauten
May 15, 2012, 06:21 PM
Trying to Play games with a mouse and keyboard for me is like a Madden football fan trying to play 2K football for the first time. Just like fans of the mouse and keyoard know if that person who likes the gamepad just give it a long enough try they may like the mouse and keyboard better than the gamepad.

I.. uhm... uh... ok, this is probably my grasp of English utterly failing, but I just don't understand what you're trying to say :-?

Omega-z
May 15, 2012, 06:22 PM
I was using a Gamepad + Mouse set up with Chat & Map on keyboard. Was able to get precision on both sides even though it is odd feeling at times. Like a Wii Nunchuck and Wand then going back quickly kind of like Metroid other M how you turn the Wand to switch the mode to more Gamepad feel.

soulpimpwizzurd
May 15, 2012, 07:48 PM

lol, i derped.

PSO Addict
May 15, 2012, 08:09 PM
I thought I would change the controller layout, but it worked out quite nicely. I tryed them out for a bit, then tried to change them and couldn't change over. I didn't use quick chat because I like the map key and I already hit enter to type anyway.

Miyoko
May 15, 2012, 08:28 PM

I know I'm late on responding, but, auto-aim mode? You mean when you're locked on? When I was in TPS mode, I could only dodge roll the direction I wanted by using double-tap to dodge. The dodge key would only ever have me roll in the direction I was aiming. I heard TPS mode dodge button dodges you the way you're moving when you're using a controller, but I was using keyboard and mouse. Am I missing something here? Is there an option or something I didn't find? 'Cause I sure as heck wasn't auto-aiming in TPS mode o_o

CelestialBlade
May 15, 2012, 09:10 PM
Be a real gamer.

Use the PSU Texter.

moorebounce
May 15, 2012, 09:36 PM
I.. uhm... uh... ok, this is probably my grasp of English utterly failing, but I just don't understand what you're trying to say :-?

The analogy is Madden is the gamepad and 2K is the mouse and keyboard. If you play with 2K football (mouse and keyboard) long enough you'll like it better than Madden (gamepad).

I know I'm late on responding, but, auto-aim mode? You mean when you're locked on? When I was in TPS mode, I could only dodge roll the direction I wanted by using double-tap to dodge. The dodge key would only ever have me roll in the direction I was aiming. I heard TPS mode dodge button dodges you the way you're moving when you're using a controller, but I was using keyboard and mouse. Am I missing something here? Is there an option or something I didn't find? 'Cause I sure as heck wasn't auto-aiming in TPS mode o_o

I don't think you can auto-aim or lock-on in TPS mode.

This would have been a good place to put up a poll... Ah, well.

I was thinking the same thing but didn't feel like reading through all the posts to see if anybody had already mentioned it.

Zyrusticae
May 15, 2012, 09:42 PM
This would have been a good place to put up a poll... Ah, well.

Me, I think I'll use both - there's just no beating a mouse and keyboard for third-person aiming, but for melee the gamepad is the clear winner.

kyuuketsuki
May 15, 2012, 09:53 PM
Aiming is superior with a mouse, no question, but 3D movement is superior with an analog stick. For PSO2, I prefer the analog stick, especially as my preferred classes are Hunter and Force, where aiming is less of an issue than with Ranger. Even as a Ranger, doing TPS-mode with the triggers as the attack/PA buttons works just fine.

Plus, as a PSO veteran, it just feels more natural to play with a controller.

As for what I use...

http://media.techeblog.com/images/qwerty-xbox-360.jpg

Having the number keys there is quite helpful for mate usage as a HU (as well as using abilities like Fury Stance and War Cry), and even more helpful for using techniques as a FO.

Cyclon
May 16, 2012, 01:23 AM
Me, I think I'll use both - there's just no beating a mouse and keyboard for third-person aiming, but for melee the gamepad is the clear winner.

Pretty much what I think too, and that's how I played; Gamecube to usb for hunter, mouse/keyboard for TPSranger. I just can't imagine playing hunter with a keyboard, as I don't lock on targets when I play; I just move(dash) where they are by myself, so I need the extra mobility. Surprisingly, I rarely miss, even when my target's off screen. FEELS AWESOME!

I must say though, that I really struggled when playing as a ranger. I didn't want to resort to using the auto-aim, because, hey, we have awesome TPS mode now! Would have felt like a waste not to use it... But for some reason, keyboard/mouse felt kinda awkward on this one... Been playing too much Gears of war at my friend's place it seems... It WAS getting better, though, but then the beta ended, so... Yeah.

As for force, didn't play it enough... but from what I saw, I could easily go either way; so I guess I'll just have to try and see which control scheme fits me best.

RocSage
May 16, 2012, 01:36 AM
Pretty much what I think too, and that's how I played; Gamecube to usb for hunter, mouse/keyboard for TPSranger. I just can't imagine playing hunter with a keyboard, as I don't lock on targets when I play; I just move(dash) where they are by myself, so I need the extra mobility. Surprisingly, I rarely miss, even when my target's off screen. FEELS AWESOME!

I must say though, that I really struggled when playing as a ranger. I didn't want to resort to using the auto-aim, because, hey, we have awesome TPS mode now! Would have felt like a waste not to use it... But for some reason, keyboard/mouse felt kinda awkward on this one... Been playing too much Gears of war at my friend's place it seems... It WAS getting better, though, but then the beta ended, so... Yeah.

As for force, didn't play it enough... but from what I saw, I could easily go either way; so I guess I'll just have to try and see which control scheme fits me best.

In the menu for controller option there is actually 2 controller settings. One for in regular mode and one for when you switch to shooter mode which means you can rearrange all you buttons so it's more like a shooter, ie having the shoot button be a trigger rather than a face button.

Cyclon
May 16, 2012, 12:36 PM
In the menu for controller option there is actually 2 controller settings. One for in regular mode and one for when you switch to shooter mode which means you can rearrange all you buttons so it's more like a shooter, ie having the shoot button be a trigger rather than a face button.

Yes, I saw that. What I couldn't find, though, is a way to configure camera movement on your second joystick(but I've read around here that it does exist, so I might try that out in the open beta), so I couldn't play with my pad even if I wanted(yeah, it's not really that I couldn't, just that I didn't want to, sorry for not making that clear).

But I'm still convinced, from my past experiences, that a mouse is the way to go for precise aiming. It's just that even as a ranger, I still like to be on the move all the time(barely even used the launcher precisely for that reason), and I found it hard to do that while aiming for the weak spots(probably because the movement didn't really feel natural after playing hunter on my pad so much, so I had to do that extra mental effort that messed up my aiming). But once I started getting the hang of it, it became really enjoyable, so I'll definitely be playing ranger quite a bit in the future.

The Gears of war part was mostly a joke, since these two games really don't play the same anyway^^;

Brimcon
May 16, 2012, 01:40 PM
Yes, I saw that. What I couldn't find, though, is a way to configure camera movement on your second joystick(but I've read around here that it does exist, so I might try that out in the open beta), so I couldn't play with my pad even if I wanted(yeah, it's not really that I couldn't, just that I didn't want to, sorry for not making that clear).

But I'm still convinced, from my past experiences, that a mouse is the way to go for precise aiming. It's just that even as a ranger, I still like to be on the move all the time(barely even used the launcher precisely for that reason), and I found it hard to do that while aiming for the weak spots(probably because the movement didn't really feel natural after playing hunter on my pad so much, so I had to do that extra mental effort that messed up my aiming). But once I started getting the hang of it, it became really enjoyable, so I'll definitely be playing ranger quite a bit in the future.

The Gears of war part was mostly a joke, since these two games really don't play the same anyway^^;

In the controller config there should be a button that says "Settings" with a Return to Default button below it, check in the Character Creator. There, you can set up the analog sticks, since the game uses Dinput, instead of Xinput, most, if not all dual analog controllers should work.

Mr Champloo
May 16, 2012, 02:10 PM
360 Pad

Hax3120
May 16, 2012, 02:37 PM
Not gonna lie but i used a Gamepad.

It feels more comfortable for me. Im not saying that the keyboard controls are dumb, its just that some of my important keys has a few problems :P

Shirai
May 17, 2012, 07:54 PM
I can't stick to gamepads for long periods of time.

So my own is keyboard.

soulpimpwizzurd
May 18, 2012, 12:11 AM

it might make adjusting easier if you tweak your mouse sensitivity settings in the game. i personally can't aim for beans if my mouse sensitivity is too high.

Cyclon
May 18, 2012, 05:16 AM
In the controller config there should be a button that says "Settings" with a Return to Default button below it, check in the Character Creator. There, you can set up the analog sticks, since the game uses Dinput, instead of Xinput, most, if not all dual analog controllers should work.

Right, this should prove useful. Thanks:-)

it might make adjusting easier if you tweak your mouse sensitivity settings in the game. i personally can't aim for beans if my mouse sensitivity is too high.

Actually, I think you may have a point, in the way that now that I think about it, my mouse's sensivity might, in fact, have been too low... So, thanks as well:3

RocketZX
May 25, 2012, 12:24 PM
Ranger: left hand gamepad, right hand mouse, can't stand WSAD movement in 3d ever...
hunter: full gamepad (xbox 360 pad)
force: keyboard.
although sometimes i'm lazy and just use gamepad for everything...

Omega-z
May 25, 2012, 01:59 PM
RocketZX - I use the same set up you use for Ranger I use for Force in TPS mode. I have it set up that I can quick switch to full game pad and back and have the 1-0 on the keyboard on quick hit with Gamepad too. The only thing I use keyboard on is the map and chat.

RocketZX - How you liking the keyboard use, I heard it's some what hard to use with a force.(excluding the 1~0 use)

Ryo
May 25, 2012, 03:07 PM
I use a 360 pad with a keyboard for chatting.

Zaix
May 25, 2012, 05:20 PM
Hunter: Gamepad
Ranger: Keyboard/Mouse
Force: Keyboard/Mouse

NoiseHERO
May 25, 2012, 06:28 PM
Seriously?

WHAT CONTROLS ARE EVERYONE USING??

YA'LL BORED!

I'M BORED!

D-Inferno
May 25, 2012, 06:38 PM
Controller.

KunoMochi
May 25, 2012, 07:51 PM
Seriously?

WHAT CONTROLS ARE EVERYONE USING??

YA'LL BORED!

I'M BORED!
I use YOU as my preferred controls. What's better than a Rock Eastwood!? NOTHING!!!

Enforcer MKV
May 25, 2012, 08:33 PM
I use YOU as my preferred controls. What's better than a Rock Eastwood!? NOTHING!!!

*Scoots away from Kuno* Creepy.

Anyway...Mouse/Keyboard all the way.

I might try a controller for release, though.

BIG OLAF
May 25, 2012, 08:53 PM

You played PSU on the Xbox, yes? I recommend a Xbox controller for PSO2, then. It's just about exactly the same, but smoother.

soulpimpwizzurd
May 25, 2012, 09:46 PM
*Scoots away from Kuno* Creepy.

*boots a darker back and shoots it* MOUSE+KEYBOARD LEAD THE WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

catwat
May 26, 2012, 08:53 AM
I use a 360 pad with a keyboard for chatting.

This. Playing gamepad only and it works really great. KB is only needed for chatting

Boodendorf
May 26, 2012, 09:20 AM
PS3 controller here.

Raging Ghost
May 26, 2012, 09:23 AM
PS3 controller here.

How you managed to do that?

Boodendorf
May 26, 2012, 09:27 AM
How you managed to do that?

Just download DS3 tool and use it so that your ps3 controller will be recognized as a xbox360 controller.

Angelo
May 26, 2012, 09:37 AM
*boots a darker back and shoots it* MOUSE+KEYBOARD LEAD THE WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

*Cruel Throws a darker into a crowd of more darkers* Hm. Controller here...

Peejay
May 26, 2012, 10:45 AM
As the thread develops, you're seeing Hunters going mainly controller, but someone I know who is an excellent hunter is a keyboard-mouse user, too. Since she refuses to register or even go near communities like this, I might as well mention it. She's a rare deviation from the statistic of controller-hunters.

soulpimpwizzurd
May 27, 2012, 01:50 PM
As the thread develops, you're seeing Hunters going mainly controller, but someone I know who is an excellent hunter is a keyboard-mouse user, too. Since she refuses to register or even go near communities like this, I might as well mention it. She's a rare deviation from the statistic of controller-hunters.

she!? excellent hunter!? KEYBOARD AND MOUSE USER!!??!?!

shit son, get dose dijits nahm sayn

i doubt a huge amount of hunters will use controller to play. i'd say it'll be a 60-40 ratio. greater, but not hugely greater. so i'm pretty sure anybody using keyboard and mouse is not a rare deviation. it only seems like it due to this thread. but if all the keyboard and mouse users posted in this thread along with all the controller users, you'd see it balance out decently.

NoiseHERO
May 27, 2012, 06:08 PM
Actually I have a crazy british chinese friend that plays hunter with keyboard and mouse.

And a badass all caps action hero that looks like bruce willis bro that plays with keyboard and mouse.

soulpimpwizzurd
May 27, 2012, 09:04 PM
*Cruel Throws a darker into a crowd of more darkers* Hm. Controller here...

aw damn, you gotta watch deadliest warrior angelo

it was a special comparing us army rangers vs north korea special operations forces, and the army ranger "close quarters combat" technique is to kick your enemy back and shoot them.

the north korean special operation force did not use guns when engaging in cqc, cause y'know, usually that's what cqc is.

stuff that doesn't involve guns. derrrrrrppppp

the best part was when the army ranger won in the final showdown match and he yelled RANGERS LEAD THE WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

http://www.spike.com/video-clips/wzalsn/deadliest-warrior-sneak-peek-u-s-army-rangers-vs-north-korean-special-operations-forces

^8:09 "we don't fight fair"

YA DONT SAY LOOLOLOLOLLO

http://vimeo.com/27279898

24:25 is where the hilarity ensues "if you gimmie space, imma shoot you" lollool

DemonMike
May 28, 2012, 07:14 AM
Mouse and keyboard here. I've used a gamepad for every other Phantasy Star game, but I just find using the mouse and keyboard set up to be a lot more precise.

It also seems to be a hell of a lot faster in accessing certain menus and using items assigned in your pallet. The one thing I never worked in the closed beta is how to switch item pallets which is funny considering I can read Japanese!

Halcyote
May 28, 2012, 04:09 PM
Mouse and keyboard here. I've used a gamepad for every other Phantasy Star game, but I just find using the mouse and keyboard set up to be a lot more precise.

It also seems to be a hell of a lot faster in accessing certain menus and using items assigned in your pallet. The one thing I never worked in the closed beta is how to switch item pallets which is funny considering I can read Japanese!
i didn't find this out until late into the beta, but when you flick the mouse wheel to change weapons, hit either "F" or "G" (if I remember correctly) to switch to the item pallet.

DemonMike
May 28, 2012, 11:20 PM
i didn't find this out until late into the beta, but when you flick the mouse wheel to change weapons, hit either "F" or "G" (if I remember correctly) to switch to the item pallet.

Oh really? Thanks for the heads up! I'll give that a go when pre-open beta hits, if I remember :D

ryoko227
May 29, 2012, 07:57 AM
I'm using a Playstation 2 controller with a USB adapter I picked up from Radioshack back in the US. I tried using the key board and mouse before I dug out the controller and it just didn't feel right. Those are my 2 cents at least ^_^

watersea
May 29, 2012, 10:38 AM
I to use a trackball, its much more accrate than the inaccrate mouse, or even worser the analog.

soulpimpwizzurd
May 29, 2012, 11:42 AM
I to use a trackball, its much more accrate than the inaccrate mouse, or even worser the analog.

ugh, trackball potential is awesome but i don't like the learning curve of getting super used to it.

kornkid212
May 29, 2012, 02:14 PM
Xbox 360 controller/PS3 controller

kushking
May 29, 2012, 10:40 PM
http://www.logitech.com/assets/32855/3/logitech-gamepad-f310.png

DragonXIII
Jun 6, 2012, 12:33 AM
360 gamepad all the way for me, I game on 360 mostly anyways so i'll feel right at home using that.

Nexoz
Jun 6, 2012, 06:23 PM
Probably gonna use the mouse and keyboard.

The game controlled a lot better with it than I expected. :D

LatinWolf
Jun 7, 2012, 08:58 AM
I originally intended to use my PC game controller (resembles a PS2 controller), but after playing through the initial mission with the Keyboard and Mouse; I found myself really liking the default layout.

There's a few problems with game controllers. If you need to type up in battle, having to put the controller to quickly type up something is such clumsy way to play IMO. Although personally I just jump onto my vent channel with my buddies and talk up a storm there. The other problem would be the camera, no way a controller is ever gonna compare to the speed of a mouse in terms of swinging the camera. This game has been compared to the Monster Hunter franchise in terms of combat gameplay; I WISH MH had a camera like PSO 2. Being able to swing the camera around mid combo, and keeping an eye out for incoming threats is the way to go. The Game Controller will never be as fast with the camera (if even able to control it that freely to begin with).

Gama
Jun 7, 2012, 10:23 AM
i had the idea i would use my ps3 controller, but seems like that would be a drawback o.o

Akaimizu
Jun 7, 2012, 10:57 AM
I want to use the controller. Mostly because of nostalgia, really. This series (in my mind) just screams controller more than anything to me. Part of what made the original Dreamcast version immediately hook me was that i was playing an online Action game, in which my avatar (for which I had so much input in his look) could move around at my will with immediate reaction to my thumb stick.

My connection to my character's movement just feels a lot more intimate for me than using a keyboard to move them around.

Ryo
Jun 7, 2012, 10:57 AM
Does PSO2 support the 360 chat pad?

Rhypht
Jun 7, 2012, 12:05 PM
For the CBT I used a modified mouse and modified keyboard setup, with rekey'd layout. I'd like to try out a controller just to see how it feels, but I don't think I could give up my Logitech G510's PSO2 layout and scheme for it.

Gama
Jun 7, 2012, 04:14 PM
that thing looks so tiny, is it usefull at all? not criticizing i'm asking.

id rather use a keyboard for chatter. or some kind of teamspeak thingi.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 7, 2012, 04:43 PM

never used one myself, i found an old USB keyboard years and years ago, plugged it into my Xbox, never looked back+^_^+

wouldn't mind giving one of these a go though+^_^+
http://www.superufo.com/item_photo/item/PS2-0601-L.jpg

KunoMochi
Jun 7, 2012, 06:03 PM
never used one myself, i found an old USB keyboard years and years ago, plugged it into my Xbox, never looked back+^_^+

wouldn't mind giving one of these a go though+^_^+
-snip-
ROFL That thing looks too huge to play comfortably on... XD