PDA

View Full Version : Would there be any practical point in a Ranewearl...?

MrFortegunner
May 16, 2012, 02:28 AM
Looks and stuff and all that jazz, I know. But since there's no guntecher class or anything...is there any practical reason to have a ranewearl? I made one for the closed beta and she was sick and awesome as heck, and I don't want to go that relatively ugly caseal route T~T. There's no practical way in which the ranewearl has the edge over a racaseal though...right?

RocSage
May 16, 2012, 02:31 AM
Well if you like Rangers and Newmans and you don't want to make a cast then yes

kyuuketsuki
May 16, 2012, 02:47 AM
The racial stat differences are rather minor. Not something to worry about, I'd say.

Also, sub-classes. If you sub as a FO later on, then it'll probably be a bit of an advantage.

Mike
May 16, 2012, 02:50 AM
There's no practical way in which the ranewearl has the edge over a racaseal though...right?
No. You only get one character slot for free so might as well use it to it's fullest though.

Ce'Nedra
May 16, 2012, 04:02 AM
I play Hunewearl even though i couldnt use techs, i just can't think of Ce'Nedra not being one even if she can't use techs (so far)

Sidney
May 16, 2012, 08:19 AM
The stat differences seem minor, and I strongly believe subclasses will be released; therefore, you should use the race you feel more compelled to play. It also sounds like a reason you enjoy being a newman/fleshie are the aesthetics, including the access to clothes versus parts, so make sure you factor that in as well, even if others consider that petty. It's your game experience, so you should pursue what makes you happy! Don't forget, maybe there will even be race exclusive FO weapons to newmans? Wouldn't want to miss out on that!

Lance813
May 16, 2012, 08:53 AM
The racial stat differences are rather minor. Not something to worry about, I'd say.

Also, sub-classes. If you sub as a FO later on, then it'll probably be a bit of an advantage.

Once subclasses are added in my RAnewearl will be laughing all the way through levels. Launchers and advanced techs will make Newman rangers OP as hell. Its gonna be a tricky class for them to balance but if they get it right it will amazing. I mean, just think about it for a second...

Okay, that's a second. Yeah you give up all of your ATP but you make up for it with the enhanced ATA of a ranger and the MST of a force. Mix that with a character that is good from long distances and you'll have one hell of a support character that can hold mobs, juggle enemies, cast spells (aka save asses), and solo areas like a champ. Down the line, with how they are dealing with weapon stats (ex: phys striking range magic and defensive striking range magic) I would be far from surprised if they release weapons (See Launchers) that draw highly from a Newman ranger's MST stat. I'm not even going to mention race-specific weapons...

Some may be shrugging at the concept now, but I seriously think that the RAnewearl is going to become one beast of a class.

Rath-Kun
May 16, 2012, 09:30 AM
The stats are very minor but I will still be choosing RAcaseal for the higher R-ATK stat and FOnewearl for T-ATK.

In the end, I don't think it matters what class you pick. As long as it makes you happy ;D

Aumi
May 16, 2012, 09:52 AM
and I don't want to go that relatively ugly caseal route T~T.

Did I just hear this man call caseals ugly? I did, didn't I? >____>

Ce'Nedra
May 16, 2012, 09:53 AM
Once subclasses are added in my RAnewearl will be laughing all the way through levels. Launchers and advanced techs will make Newman rangers OP as hell. Its gonna be a tricky class for them to balance but if they get it right it will amazing. I mean, just think about it for a second...

Okay, that's a second. Yeah you give up all of your ATP but you make up for it with the enhanced ATA of a ranger and the MST of a force. Mix that with a character that is good from long distances and you'll have one hell of a support character that can hold mobs, juggle enemies, cast spells (aka save asses), and solo areas like a champ. Down the line, with how they are dealing with weapon stats (ex: phys striking range magic and defensive striking range magic) I would be far from surprised if they release weapons (See Launchers) that draw highly from a Newman ranger's MST stat. I'm not even going to mention race-specific weapons...

Some may be shrugging at the concept now, but I seriously think that the RAnewearl is going to become one beast of a class.

I acctually think you are right on this one, it does make sense and it would be nice to acctually have a newman that will be the best char for once instead of always the casts.

I'm acctualy considering to make a RAnewearl as well at some point, specially if they are sonna add something like a Guntecher.

Rath-Kun
May 16, 2012, 09:58 AM
Did I just hear this man call caseals ugly? I did, didn't I? >____>

Now now Aumi, he ain't hurtin no one.

Caseals are coot. They have been since PSO.

Angelo
May 16, 2012, 11:20 AM
Are subclasses even still on the table?

Haven't heard about them in awhile. Just assumed the concept was dropped.

Peejay
May 16, 2012, 11:23 AM

Considering the F2P nature of it, I think they'll probably end up keeping it. That, and many people will just buy more character slots anyways because of vanity, like myself.

Lance813
May 16, 2012, 05:03 PM
I acctually think you are right on this one, it does make sense and it would be nice to acctually have a newman that will be the best char for once instead of always the casts.

I'm acctualy considering to make a RAnewearl as well at some point, specially if they are sonna add something like a Guntecher.

I don't know if they'll end up being the best but I always have the most fun playing a Newearl, whether its a HU or a FO, and now I have the chance to play as a RA. That's pretty exciting for me and the class sounds like it will be amazing. I remember Ce' Nedra from that one place we might as well should be able to talk about now, see scht, there were some pretty awesome newearls over there.

Also, at angelo. We haven't heard anything in a while about anything. I don't think they dropped the idea and like Peejay said, Its gonna be a cash cow hopefully. I mean, we haven't heard about the game in a while, they haven't dropped that have they? Let's hope not, haha. :wacko:

Reia
May 16, 2012, 05:19 PM
Don't mind, I play RAmarl and don't care about Min/Max variances! I also think most RAcaseal players will screw up on Mag Builds and Skill trees anyways.

Lance813
May 16, 2012, 05:30 PM
My main in PSO was a RAmarl, and by main I mean first level 200, I was going to be a RAmarl in PSO2 as well until I heard about the release of the RAnewearl class. I don't think min/max really matters too much to be honest if you've got a head for playing games on your shoulders. I almost always pick the under-powered classes in games anyways, but seeing this thread I couldn't help but post in favor of our new RAnewearl goddesses.

I mean, I would make a FOcast if they weren't so straight up damn weird looking...

Miyoko
May 16, 2012, 05:32 PM
Don't mind, I play RAmarl and don't care about Min/Max variances! I also think most RAcaseal players will screw up on Mag Builds and Skill trees anyways.

What does that have to do with RAcaseal players in particular? I'm pretty sure EVERYBODY will be screwing up their mag builds and skill trees until number crunchers do all the hard work for us.

Reia
May 16, 2012, 06:16 PM
What does that have to do with RAcaseal players in particular? I'm pretty sure EVERYBODY will be screwing up their mag builds and skill trees until number crunchers do all the hard work for us.

I tend to always talk about things like this when it comes to something more serious like a character selection in a fighter game, It's true that some things can be top tier. In this case RAcaseal DOES have the best ranger stats, but that's like only one side of the quality, second is based on player. It would be a hard gold rule if like any player that picks RAcassey, plays like a Top-tier gaming league, which obviously that won't happen, that kinds of players tend to be a minority, with a big amount of wannabes (RAcaseal players that pick for stats numbers rather than aspect). What I mean mostly is that in this game, it matters most how good you are as a player, not the class you pick unlike other MMOs that seem more static about how the combat science works. The CAST supremacy was back then in PSU where the number difference between class and races were huge.

I'm also very known amongst friends for kicking *ss with low-tier characters in fighters (Like the one Im gonna use in P4A when it release in August, the character in my signature). And whenever I hear about the Tierlist I never take it seriously unless it's a tournament, Because most people that use this top-tiers are between or a bit above the line of average gameplay, I don't expect to get myself owned by a high-tier unless I know the player is same or better skilled than I do. So giving that I look fighters with their strict tierlists like that, think what about I think on PSO2 lmao.

Macman
May 16, 2012, 06:37 PM
You sound too full of yourself to be taken seriously.
Also it's kind of mean to assume that people who pick a certain archetype are going to do poorly based solely on their choice.

Reia
May 16, 2012, 06:44 PM
that people who pick a certain archetype are going to do poorly based solely on their choice.

You got it entirely wrong, there will be a lot of people that will play awfully great because of picking a top-tier, but that doesnt justify the mayority that are in the average skill if not wanting to be considered skilled that thinks that they have the win card just because they pick the higher tiers. tl : dr It will depends more on skill than choice.

MrFortegunner
May 16, 2012, 07:19 PM
Don't forget, maybe there will even be race exclusive FO weapons to newmans? Wouldn't want to miss out on that!

But by that same token, there'll be Racast exclusive things that may very well just beast over the whole system. I dunno man, I just feel like, in the end, Racasts will be the most powerful, with crazy cast weapons and cast jetpacks or random cool cast quirks.... I really hope for a nice guntecher class though, and some exclusive newman perks too for once.

PSO Addict
May 16, 2012, 08:56 PM
Have to agree with confusion on the thought of caseals being ugly. Also have to agree that if you plan to play on mutliple classes on your character, then you should consider all combinations before picking a race.

Reia
May 16, 2012, 09:40 PM
http://www.pso2-uploader.info/uploda/src/up2069.jpg

Here you go, a chart of LV40 stats extracted from the Japanese.

Jonth
May 16, 2012, 09:54 PM

Also, at angelo. We haven't heard anything in a while about anything. I don't think they dropped the idea and like Peejay said, Its gonna be a cash cow hopefully. I mean, we haven't heard about the game in a while, they haven't dropped that have they? Let's hope not, haha. :wacko:

I have to disagree about not hearing anything in a while:

MAGICAL LINK COME FORTH! (http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-create-more-characters-with-arks-cash/#comments)

Ctrl+F "new classes" It doesn't specify whether they are still going with a sub class system or a PSU based class system, but it does mean there will be more classes of some sort. So you can expect the equivalent to a Guntecher.

Lance813
May 16, 2012, 10:40 PM
http://www.pso2-uploader.info/uploda/src/up2069.jpg

Here you go, a chart of LV40 stats extracted from the Japanese.

Yeah, but this is only level 40... MAG optimization for max level is where you get the real numbers from. It is cool to see though.

I have to disagree about not hearing anything in a while:

MAGICAL LINK COME FORTH! (http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-create-more-characters-with-arks-cash/#comments)

Ctrl+F "new classes" It doesn't specify whether they are still going with a sub class system or a PSU based class system, but it does mean there will be more classes of some sort. So you can expect the equivalent to a Guntecher.

Either way, I'm stoked. :wacko:

MrFortegunner
May 17, 2012, 02:07 AM
http://i48.tinypic.com/245gcgj.jpg

Can you see why I wanted my Ranewearl over a Racaseal?

Also, looking at that extremely helpful stats chart, it seems racaseal wont have much of an advantage over ranewearl in ranger things, but ranewearl'll have a relatively drastic advantage in the Mind department, so I think Ranewearl may win out in the end with the inclusion of a guntecher class...

Reia
May 17, 2012, 04:14 AM
You should be renamed as MrsGuntecher then!

MrFortegunner
May 17, 2012, 04:54 AM
You should be renamed as MrsGuntecher then!

T~T. I used to be a straight up purist gunner back in the day. Didn't crave at all for anything else, and was happy with my short cast with no parts on who was a gun master. But I think I've degraded since >.<.

CelestialBlade
May 17, 2012, 06:05 AM
I think we're still living with the memories of the terribad balance PSU had. The game got so easy that damage was literally the only stat that mattered regarding anything, and the racial imbalance was extremely bad which only made things worse. PSO2 doesn't have drastic imbalances and you actually need defensive stats, so this problem shouldn't recur. I can't see the differences adding up to anything significant unless you're legit concerned about maybe shaving two seconds off your mission time I guess.

The other good thing about PSO2 is that it's an action-RPG, and many aspects of your character just aren't determined by stats. This isn't a game where you faceroll hotkeys, install mods to play the game for you, and have to rely on a number to tell you if you dodged a dragon's tail swipe or not. You actively have to run in and know when to pull off a decent combo, and when to time your blocks and dodges. It's such an integral part of this game that it definitely trumps minor stat differences and increases the value of being good at the game, which I like.

So okay, assume one player of a given skill level plays a RAcaseal and then a RAnewearl. Even here it's not just a mathematical stat formula like a lot of games--you're doing a little more damage with your guns as a Caseal, but what if you get blindsided by a couple of Foie blasts? The Newearl is more likely to survive than the Caseal, though maybe the Caseal can kill the offender faster to prevent that from ever happening, which is situational at best. Every race combo is going to have its advantages and drawbacks, and the "optimum" character is simply going to offset their weaknesses. It's a balance.

It's like a fighting game tournament. A bad player with a "god-tier" character just isn't going to beat a seasoned pro using a "lower-tier" character because the bad player is predictable. Tier means less and less the more that player skill matters.

Of course, if you're me, aesthetics > all ^^ It's a game, if you're not enjoying your character then why bother?

Dark Emerald EXE
May 17, 2012, 06:05 AM
I'd say just play what over race you want to.
Yes there are certain Race/class combination that make them more "Suitable" for the class but all in all PSO wasn't big on being higly gear oriented...

Besides there might be something race/class exclusive which you know they'll do something similiar in the future...

I might actully have Newearl as my main character what made me do Cast was that they can Hoover :o Not really a big thing just like the new addition.

Seeing that MAGs are like how they was in PSO, there really shouldn't be "Cast Supremacy" after all in PSU MAGs didn't exist which made CAST rather powerful having SUVs compared to other races...

Now it's more of personal preference which is good :)

Edit: Also another reason I choose Cast in the beta was because Cast could actually change the color/subcolors of their parts opposed to fleshies had general color palettes....hope they change that

Spellbinder
May 17, 2012, 06:22 AM
Of course, if you're me, aesthetics > all It's a game, if you're not enjoying your character then why bother?

I think I'm in love... in a platonic way..

Reia
May 17, 2012, 11:16 AM
I still remember PSO times, people in Ult that played casts really wanted to avoid the Grand Sorcerers and their undodgable TECH nukes lol. But yeah defense matters more here since we have no Armor/Line Shields, And depend more on mag defense or the defensive status my race provide, and I prefer that Marls has 105% MST giving away that the Spells are what hurts most in a single hit in this games.

Ce'Nedra
May 17, 2012, 12:04 PM
I don't know if they'll end up being the best but I always have the most fun playing a Newearl, whether its a HU or a FO, and now I have the chance to play as a RA. That's pretty exciting for me and the class sounds like it will be amazing. I remember Ce' Nedra from that one place we might as well should be able to talk about now, see scht, there were some pretty awesome newearls over there.

Oh yeah the idea of being a RAnewearl came to my head pretty fast as well even though I never was much fan of forces and rangers in the previous PS games, i might acctually give them a go on PSO2.

I'm glad you still remember Ce'Nedra and there were some nice ones there, though alot didn't knew how to use them properly and just had them for looks.

We should tag up on the OBT and end game, can't wait to see PSO2 Furou' uen either :)

BIG OLAF
May 17, 2012, 12:07 PM
Of course, if you're me, aesthetics > all ^^ It's a game, if you're not enjoying your character then why bother?

This lady right here knows what it's all about.

NoiseHERO
May 17, 2012, 12:24 PM
Yeah being the only dude with enough balls to make a newman gunner because you don't care about a 5-10 tiny little point difference from being a deceptacon gunner.

PSO Addict
May 17, 2012, 01:48 PM
Obvioulsy you just want to be a space cowboy and have ears that pop through the holes in the hat.

Chik'Tikka
May 17, 2012, 01:54 PM
hrmmm, what has this thread become? in the CBT I saw all sorts of combinations!! elves wit guns! robots castin heals! humans sitting still for hours on end! and even giant bird creatures!!!
I'll let you know now, if you want a RAnewearl, go for it+^_^+ on PSU I'm a dedicated FOcaseal acrotecher and people still today go "Wha?" and I have fun!! (that lumirus/power chrg. I found 2 years back helps a lot)

Lance813
May 17, 2012, 04:30 PM
We should tag up on the OBT and end game, can't wait to see PSO2 Furou' uen either :)

Totally, I can't wait for this game to come out. I'll be hopefully done rebuilding my computer by the time it comes out.

Yeah being the only dude with enough balls to make a newman gunner because you don't care about a 5-10 tiny little point difference from being a deceptacon gunner.

I have three balls. :wacko:

But really, what it all comes down to is that RAnewearl is going to be the desired style I want to play in the end. I'll probably make a FOnewm too. (actually I'll make everything just to try it...) I wonder how a HUnewm that uses basic/mid level techs would handle? It really does suck that you need to link techs to weapons again... I think that is so lame... Oh well.

NoiseHERO
May 17, 2012, 04:52 PM
Totally, I can't wait for this game to come out. I'll be hopefully done rebuilding my computer by the time it comes out.

But really, what it all comes down to is that RAnewearl is going to be the desired style I want to play in the end. I'll probably make a FOnewm too. (actually I'll make everything just to try it...) I wonder how a HUnewm that uses basic/mid level techs would handle? It really does suck that you need to link techs to weapons again... I think that is so lame... Oh well.

Nah you can cast techs however you want again, you also have a...

What is that thing called again...? Where you can set items/skills to the number keys...? my brain is not with this world right now- anyway yeah, you can shortcut your techs and skills.

BUT only forces can cast in general for now, we'll see what happens when more classes/sub classes come out (which have been confirmed to come in the future.)

Lance813
May 17, 2012, 04:55 PM
Oh you can hotkey on force? Cool, I though it was just totally linked to weapons and I was pissed. I played my FO for how many hours and I didn't figure this out..?

PSO Addict
May 17, 2012, 04:58 PM
You can place and charge techniques from the sub-pallete. You can also make multiple palletes of the same weapon to contain different techniques. I put resta on the on sub-pallete and made a fire action pallete and so on.

moorebounce
May 17, 2012, 05:31 PM

Having 3 balls is like having an extra chromosome. lol

And like a couple of people said already forces can cast techs w/o it being linked to a weapon. Anytime you have a weapon in hand it will use the weapon. You do however need a weapon to use PAs.

What is that thing called again...? Where you can set items/skills to the number keys...? my brain is not with this world right now- anyway yeah, you can shortcut your techs and skills.

Sub-pallete is what you might be looking for.

Reia
May 17, 2012, 05:58 PM
BTW so much drama around RAney but. What about RAnewm? Considered the "lowest stats" but with that look! A player that uses him must be 99% pimp!

PSO Addict
May 17, 2012, 06:15 PM
That's good. 100% is simply too much.

Dark Emerald EXE
May 17, 2012, 07:54 PM
Kind of off topic.
I wonder how well Defense from MAGs affect damage taken.
Makes me wonder if they'll be necessity in later zones...

Like mob that are highly technics oriented w/o any form of technic defense might just own anyone...

Adds something else into the mix of MAG combinations...
Like say A Ranger has a MAG that used manily for Technics based mobs while enhancing your range attack and another that does the dame but works on range defense...and so on...

CelestialBlade
May 17, 2012, 08:54 PM
Kind of off topic.
I wonder how well Defense from MAGs affect damage taken.
Makes me wonder if they'll be necessity in later zones...

Like mob that are highly technics oriented w/o any form of technic defense might just own anyone...

Adds something else into the mix of MAG combinations...
Like say A Ranger has a MAG that used manily for Technics based mobs while enhancing your range attack and another that does the dame but works on range defense...and so on...
Good point; been thinking about how I want to do my Hunter's MAG build. In PSO I got so used to not caring about DEF at all, now maybe it'll mean something. The days of pumping everything into POW are probably gone, which is a really good thing, but does certainly add a level or two of complication to MAG builds. Certainly makes everyone more unique though.

Taitu
May 17, 2012, 09:05 PM
Actually considering that the gameplay now includes dodging and guarding defense begins to lose its worth. Even if players can take less hits it doesn't matter if you don't get hit. The only way that defense may still have some value is if you may reach a point where leveling alone isn't enough to survive at least 1 hit or if the player in question lacks the coordination to dodge/guard properly.

PSO Addict
May 17, 2012, 09:09 PM
My concern is that people probably didn't put points into defence before hand and now with three seperate catagories, it will be that much harder to motivate defencive style play. I think that was what you were getting at.

Taitu
May 17, 2012, 09:13 PM
My concern is that people probably didn't put points into defence before hand and now with three seperate catagories, it will be that much harder to motivate defencive style play. I think that was what you were getting at.

Well I was indeed referring to dodging and guarding making defense negligible. You'll notice top Monster Hunter players like to show off by performing naked runs where they have no armor whatsoever since you can fight any enemy without taking damage. PSO2 allows something similar due to how its gameplay is set up.

Of course what you are saying is just as valid. By dividing defense they aren't so much promoting its use as they are further alienating the player base from utilizing it since focusing on just a single type will not be fruitful.

Ryudo
May 17, 2012, 09:25 PM
that stats dont matter since the damage calculations draw from different stats for different things anyway

Blackheart521
May 17, 2012, 09:42 PM
Well I was indeed referring to dodging and guarding making defense negligible. You'll notice top Monster Hunter players like to show off by performing naked runs where they have no armor whatsoever since you can fight any enemy without taking damage. PSO2 allows something similar due to how its gameplay is set up.

Of course what you are saying is just as valid. By dividing defense they aren't so much promoting its use as they are further alienating the player base from utilizing it since focusing on just a single type will not be fruitful.

The thing is, it is never useless to upgrade your defense because even if you are a master dodger you still mess up every now and then and if you have a higher defense it leaves you with a higher margin for error, I'd rather have a character who can take a hit, it allows me to unload on an enemy relentlessly while I just absorb hits therefore defense can assist in DPS since I won't have to be dodging around everywhere. That is how I see it anyways.

PSO Addict
May 17, 2012, 09:50 PM
As a force, I'm pretty much used to having to heal after each hit. It's exciting to be able to dodge and avoid damage so I don't have to be healing all the time. What upsets me is when I try to be nice and heal my allys and they run away from my glowy resta cloud. Then I just waste my PP and time.

Taitu
May 17, 2012, 10:40 PM
The thing is, it is never useless to upgrade your defense because even if you are a master dodger you still mess up every now and then and if you have a higher defense it leaves you with a higher margin for error, I'd rather have a character who can take a hit, it allows me to unload on an enemy relentlessly while I just absorb hits therefore defense can assist in DPS since I won't have to be dodging around everywhere. That is how I see it anyways.

Except due to dodge attack you lose almost no DPS when you dodge. Yes having more resistance to damage does give a margin of error; however, the best players won't be building their character towards their capacity for mistakes but rather optimizing their character. That is to say since you have the capacity to avoid everything any extra points spent in defense or health is wasted as you can always improve your ability to avoid damage without wasting points in defensive stats. Arguably all you need is enough defense to survive a single hit so you can heal yourself back up to full and get right back into the fight, assuming you get hit at all.

Jonth
May 17, 2012, 10:44 PM
on PSU I'm a dedicated FOcaseal acrotecher and people still today go "Wha?" and I have fun!! (that lumirus/power chrg. I found 2 years back helps a lot)

First of all, I don't understand how you can be a Focaseal (which means a female cast force) and an acrotecher. I'm going to assume you mean you are a Female Cast Acrotecher.

This brings me to my main question. When I played PSU (I quit when the PC servers went down), Cast (particularly a female cast thanks to the extra stamina) was considered pretty much the best race for an Acrotecher. Why are people confused as to why you are a female Cast Acrotecher?

Chik'Tikka
May 17, 2012, 10:49 PM
First of all, I don't understand how you can be a Focaseal (which means a female cast force) and an acrotecher. I'm going to assume you mean you are a Female Cast Acrotecher.

This brings me to my main question. When I played PSU (I quit when the PC servers went down), Cast (particularly a female cast thanks to the extra stamina) was considered pretty much the best race for an Acrotecher. Why are people confused as to why you are a female Cast Acrotecher?

i has no idea why, but there were a lot more of them when i was fortetecher+^_^+ i just gave them lots of <3s and +^_^+s and i'm currently an acrotecher because i fell in love with whips awhile back before i cancelled my membership, i get back on after all this time and i thought people would care less, but they still go "lolz,a cast acrotecher"+^_^+

soulpimpwizzurd
May 18, 2012, 12:03 AM
Except due to dodge attack you lose almost no DPS when you dodge. Yes having more resistance to damage does give a margin of error; however, the best players won't be building their character towards their capacity for mistakes but rather optimizing their character. That is to say since you have the capacity to avoid everything any extra points spent in defense or health is wasted as you can always improve your ability to avoid damage without wasting points in defensive stats. Arguably all you need is enough defense to survive a single hit so you can heal yourself back up to full and get right back into the fight, assuming you get hit at all.

agree with dis guy. the fact that (it seems like it to me at least) monster appearance/location/attack is client sided, makes it all the easier to dodge attacks. what i mean by it being client sided is that it seems like you can dodge something with simply the width of a hair separating you from the attack, and you won't get hit. the hitboxes and latency when playing in game, seem incredibly precise and stable. i've been going on and on about how awesome i think this is because for most online games, this is not the case. i'm guessing there are some gamers that will play this game long enough to get it down so they just never get hit/justguard everything.

however it's good that you can do stuff like customize your mag for defense, so they can cater towards the more easy going crowd as well. the best kind of game allows this kind of setup imo. a setup where you can get more reward for more risk at the cost of having to practice to play better, and the opposite being less reward for less risk at the benefit of not having to practice much.

unless BS happens in the future like bosses gaining undodgeable/unguardable attacks that WILL hit you, i personally still see defense focused setups as not worth the time/meseta. but that's just me, because i'm confident i'll be able to play well enough (for the time being at least, none of us know how hard future stages will be) to need less defense, in exchange for more offense. i'm sure however others that do not wish to dedicate as much time will benefit strongly from defense setups.

so long as i can survive one hit and heal back up to normal, i'll probably be good, just like taitu stated.

i've always thought that the requirement for a -great- game is to have all or most skills/actions/attacks unlocked from the getgo or very soon from the beginning, and the only way to do more damage, is to simply practice and get better at the game. not by leveling up and then unlocking high level skills. imo a game should be something you can practice and become proficient at. pso2 is this. as well as monster hunter. to illustrate my example using monster hunter, you do not have to level up to use long sword's combo attack, or greatswords charge attack, etc. you do not have to level up to do a dodge roll, or hammer spin. you have access to all these attacks, AND WEAPONS, right from the beginning.

however it's up to YOU, to get better. to get adjusted to the game. to learn the ins and outs of every weapon beyond simply what they do. and then choose your favorite and become better with it.

i tend to find games that don't have anything to be "unlocked", to be generally the most entertaining in my case. because it usually means the developers have confidence you can get better at the game by playing it and getting used to all the actions/skills. which means they also have confidence in the gameplay of the game itself. games that make you unlock skills at certain levels imo, are less confident / lazy / not trying to be a true action game.

'course you can argue that devil may cry is opposite to this but still an amazing action game which it is. i'm not saying the above is a solid rule that all games must follow, but for online games at least, it seems to hold true.

Jonth
May 18, 2012, 12:06 AM
i has no idea why, but there were a lot more of them when i was fortetecher+^_^+ i just gave them lots of <3s and +^_^+s and i'm currently an acrotecher because i fell in love with whips awhile back before i cancelled my membership, i get back on after all this time and i thought people would care less, but they still go "lolz,a cast acrotecher"+^_^+

They speak nonsense I say. Best buffs in the game combined with the race that dishes out the best damage with that class thanks to SUVs.

I was a Human Acrotecher when I played because I also liked to tech. Unfortunately I found out I was better off sticking to melee and leaving the teching at buffing, so I was actually tempted to make a cast acrotecher at that point. Had my buffs at 41+ so the hard part was already over, but I never got around to it before the servers went down.

Dark Emerald EXE
May 18, 2012, 01:04 AM
I only consider that Defense actually might make a difference here with MAGs seeing that we don't have line shields anymore...

So the question is...
Where is our extra DEF coming from now?

Besides special abilities did any of the equip stuff add DEF? Can't remember?
Otherwise it seems like just based DEF from the race/class

Chik'Tikka
May 18, 2012, 02:42 AM
They speak nonsense I say. Best buffs in the game combined with the race that dishes out the best damage with that class thanks to SUVs.

I was a Human Acrotecher when I played because I also liked to tech. Unfortunately I found out I was better off sticking to melee and leaving the teching at buffing, so I was actually tempted to make a cast acrotecher at that point. Had my buffs at 41+ so the hard part was already over, but I never got around to it before the servers went down.

lolz, it was around the time Viviene fluge came out that i started teching with my Mary, so i never took advantage of SUV damage output as an acrotecher+^_^+ i love, even if it's for a short time, having bigger wings then anyone else, every once in awhile i still find people never seen the fluge. all they know is white bitch and occasional 5th floor events+^_^+ i love being an acrotecher, and i hope i can make my caseal into something similar in PSO2

soulpimpwizzurd
May 18, 2012, 02:58 AM
I only consider that Defense actually might make a difference here with MAGs seeing that we don't have line shields anymore...

So the question is...
Where is our extra DEF coming from now?

Besides special abilities did any of the equip stuff add DEF? Can't remember?
Otherwise it seems like just based DEF from the race/class

equipment adds def. the visible equipment (units) your character puts on shoes/back/shoulders can give tech/attack/shooting defense. you can also grind them to give them more def (i think).

also certain unit abilities give extra defense, like various monster souls and simply defense up.

i really wish you could equip some units that boosted attack instead of defense though. lol i'd go all offense units.
so you could focus on getting a bunch of equipment that stacks defense up's instead of strength up's since i think you can put as much as 9(?) abilities on one piece of equipment. conversely, you could just stack strength/shooting/tech abilities.

so yeah there's definitely good amounts of customizing you can do, with the addition of equipment abilities. although i can see it being a pain in the ass to do.

the whole equipment ability stacking probably accentuates the possible necessity of having more inventory space, since to give equipment abilities to another weapon/unit, they have to be exactly the same, etc.

Dark Emerald EXE
May 18, 2012, 03:22 AM
Would be interesting if someone made ATK/DEF hybid mag and see the difference (if it' makes much)

Like many have mention.
Believe Taitu was one of em, DEF shouldnt be something heavily focused on...however for Technics mobs specifically I would see a use of atleast a hybrid mix of /technic def

Depending if they where targetted technics....

Of course this might not mean much for a race that has high MST like say newmans...
Cast on the other hand....might get more of that....

Scotty T
May 18, 2012, 08:30 AM
If you're not an efficiency addict like me, then do whatever you want :P

Caseal ftw.

PSO Addict
May 18, 2012, 08:55 AM
Bonus points for 3 pairs of glasses.

Arika
May 18, 2012, 09:00 AM
Guntecher :o

Hrith
May 18, 2012, 11:13 AM
Well I was indeed referring to dodging and guarding making defence negligible. You'll notice top Monster Hunter players like showing off by performing naked runs where they have no armour whatsoever, since you can fight any enemy without taking damage. PSO2 allows something similar due to how its gameplay is set up.

Of course what you are saying is just as valid. By dividing defence, they aren't so much promoting its use as they are further alienating the player base from utilising it, since focusing on just a single type will not be fruitful.You could not be more wrong. If you have played the CBT, you have noticed how the damage you deal is not a problem, regardless of class/race whereas the damage you receive is a huge issue. Dodging is not even a good argument here, and the comparison to Monster Crap is null and void. In PSO2, you fight swarms of monsters - not just one or two - including bosses. You cannot avoid damage in PSO2, and when you do get hit, it's usually painful.

Bearing in mind that was only the first three areas on Normal difficulty setting.

Seeing how the PSO2 gameplay is designed, the defences are going to matter more than the offences, especially as regards Mag builds and equipment.

The racial modifiers do not make such a big difference.
Of course RAcaseal is going to be the best ranger, but do not let that stop anyone from making a RAnewearl.

Taitu
May 18, 2012, 12:13 PM
You could not be more wrong. If you have played the CBT, you have noticed how the damage you deal is not a problem, regardless of class/race whereas the damage you receive is a huge issue. Dodging is not even a good argument here, and the comparison to Monster Crap is null and void. In PSO2, you fight swarms of monsters - not just one or two - including bosses. You cannot avoid damage in PSO2, and when you do get hit, it's usually painful.

Bearing in mind that was only the first three areas on Normal difficulty setting.

Seeing how the PSO2 gameplay is designed, the defenses are going to matter more than the offences, especially as regards Mag builds and equipment.

The racial modifiers do not make such a big difference.
Of course RAcaseal is going to be the best ranger, but do not let that stop anyone from making a RAnewearl.

Monster Hunter has less trash enemies in the middle of a fight; however, mobility is also far more limited than it is in PSO2. Not only does stamina limit the player from dodging/blocking infinitely, but in general you also move slower and collision is less tight in Monster Hunter. In PSO2, by keeping to the air I can say a trash mob never touched me in boss fights and by ending my strings with AOE sweeps before touching the ground I was always able to knock them away so that I would have a chance to take to the air again. Damage is 100% avoidable in this game, and regardless trash damage != boss damage. So yes you're right, Monster Hunter was perhaps a bad comparison because it is actually easier to avoid enemies in PSO2.

Yes you are right, damage is a huge issue. I already very clearly argued this point already. Minor increases in defense do not make a difference and the fact that you have to focus your defenses in 3 different areas now makes this deficiency in defense even greater. Damage in PSO especially in Harder modes as you are trying to argue is paramount, and the amount of defense that needs to be stacked to make the difference between 1 and 2 hits is levels apart. Now take the MAG bonuses which aren't even 1 to 1 with the levels it gains and the defense gain is more than negligible as even if I take 2 less damage, if it still takes 2 hits to kill me it still takes 2 hits to kill me; whereas, dealing 2 more damage will stack on every hit I perform on an enemy with thousands of health.

As delight said defense will be practical to stack for more casual players or players who simply don't have the reflexes to react to enemies properly. I assure that the best players will still be stacking attack stats, obtain the defense they need to survive a single boss attack from units, and the rest they will rely on their own skill at the gameplay.

soulpimpwizzurd
May 18, 2012, 12:19 PM
You cannot avoid damage in PSO2, and when you do get hit, it's usually painful.

this is opinion and not fact.it is very possible to avoid damage as both hunter and ranger.

ranger in the sense that you just have to stay pretty far away from the action so you can react properly if anything comes at you, as well as spamming the huge aoe PA launcher has if enemies get close, then making distance again.

hunter in the sense that you have to be constantly dodging. as in, if you are doing many continuous regular left click attacks, i'd say you're asking to get hit. considering if you attack multiple targets, you regenerate pp even faster, mobs are even easier to handle, if you have the right photon arts. in fact, it's not even that difficult with the mobs at the moment to not get hit when getting swarmed.

for hunter the main thing you do is go outside of the circle of mobs you're getting swarmed by. then you work around the edges, but you don't focus on one. you move from target to target (do not focus on an enemy until it's dead. if you do, you'll be in the same spot for too long and you'll get hit by something), generally only using dash attacks and PA's that attack quickly.

ex: dash attack > sword circle projectile attack >dash to next enemy on edge of circle>sword circle projectile attack, continue. and if you don't have enough pp, just keep circling and dash attacking until you get more.

not saying you're wrong about this game in the future though, you're right, it could very well reach a level of chaos that can't be easily read/controlled by simply circling.
but you saying that it's not possible at early stages like closed beta is opinion.

NoiseHERO
May 18, 2012, 12:31 PM
Are you guys talking about stat builds from mags and the skill tree?

Because I'm pretty sure, your natural defensive from leveling = "And not a single fuck was given that day" meme

Whatever anyone does with their stats should be fine, it's fucking Phantasy Star.

/argument

Taitu
May 18, 2012, 12:36 PM

Because I'm pretty sure, your natural defensive from leveling = "And not a single fuck was given that day" meme

Whatever anyone does with their stats should be fine, it's fucking Phantasy Star.

/argument

I'm not saying that any build can't work. Quite the opposite in fact that even a character at level 1 could beat anything in the game as long as they can deal more than 0 damage to it.

What we're discussing is what the optimal stat build would be.

soulpimpwizzurd
May 18, 2012, 12:43 PM

/argument

ay cuz we ain't only talkin bout mags mayn. we talkn bout anythin dat effects stats, like equipment ability too dawg.

i gotta ax mayn, caynt you put lyk 6 or 9 equipment abilitys on one pieceaequipment? so if you gat lyk 3 glocks and dey all got 6 assblasting+'s instedda 6 assprotection+'s, itd make a diff wunnit?

NoiseHERO
May 18, 2012, 12:45 PM
What we're discussing is what the optimal stat build would be.

Wouldn't that be the complete opposite of support the idea of "Do whatever you want and play ranewearl"

DON'T YOU GUYS BRING YOUR THREAD DERAILING INTELLECT BATTLES IN HERE!

BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE BEING A HYPOCRITICAL FORUM POLICE OFFICER TODAY!

soulpimpwizzurd
May 18, 2012, 12:48 PM
Wouldn't that be the complete opposite of support the idea of "Do whatever you want and play ranewearl"

please respond :(

NoiseHERO
May 18, 2012, 12:53 PM
please respond :(

YOYOYOYOYOYOYOYOYOYOY!

AYO!

AYO AYO AYO AYO AYO AYO YOYOYOYOYOO!!!!

Just keep dumping junk weapons on to yo main weapons.

Vintasticvin
May 18, 2012, 12:59 PM
So out of curiosity what does all this strategy has to do with stating a practical use for a RAnewearl? Just wondering.

Vintasticvin
May 18, 2012, 01:02 PM

Last I checked this isnt an intellectual battle :(

soulpimpwizzurd
May 18, 2012, 01:03 PM
So out of curiosity what does all this strategy has to do with stating a practical use for a RAnewearl? Just wondering.

shows positives and negatives of making your character more attributed to range/tech attack, instead of defense.

also i guess in addition to the argument, generally a class has one type of attack, but you can get hit by all 3 types of attacks. so it'd be harder and less beneficial to focus your defense.

@rock ayyo das ma boi rawk namsayn looool

Taitu
May 18, 2012, 01:06 PM

Just because anyone can build a character any way they like and get results does not mean that there aren't builds that are more efficient at getting results than others.

The argument that was put forth over what would make RAnewearl useful is tech defense; thus, the discussion took a turn towards if defense is actually useful to justify the RAnewearl's tech defense advantage.

Hrith
May 18, 2012, 01:13 PM
Damage is 100% avoidable in this game.In Normal Forest, maybe.
Remember the game has much fewer enemies when you are alone or in small parties.
Try a party of four in Volcanic Cavers Exploration or Arkz City.

Damage in PSO, especially in harder modes, as you are trying to argue is paramount, and the amount of defense that needs to be stacked to make the difference between 1 and 2 hits is levels apart. Now take the MAG bonuses which aren't even 1 to 1 with the levels it gains and the defense gain is more than negligible as even if I take 2 less damage, if it still takes 2 hits to kill me, it still takes 2 hits to kill me; whereas, dealing 2 more damage will stack on every hit I perform on an enemy with thousands of health.Not a very clear paragraph.
We do not know the formulae, increasing defences may decrease the damage taken by a lot more than increasing offences will increase the damage dealt.

As delight said defense will be practical to stack for more casual players or players who simply don't have the reflexes to react to enemies properly. I assure that the best players will still be stacking attack stats, obtain the defense they need to survive a single boss attack from units, and the rest they will rely on their own skill at the gameplay.In PSO and PSU, the best players chose to ignore getting hit to increase DPS.

Judging from the CBT, increasing your offence seems really pointless, since I could kill regular enemies in the blink of an eye and deal 2400+ damage to bosses. On the other hand, even though I rarely got hit, when I did it was for 50~80% of my HP.

this is opinion and not fact.it is very possible to avoid damage as both hunter and ranger.No, it's quite factual.
When I say 'impossible to avoid damage' I mean that it's never going to be possible to run 'naked' as it was put earlier in comparison to MH.
If you were not getting hit once in the CBT, it was because you were playing Forest on your own.

Taitu
May 18, 2012, 01:42 PM
In Normal Forest, maybe.
Remember the game has much fewer enemies when you are alone or in small parties.
Try a party of four in Volcanic Cavers Exploration or Arkz City.

Not a very clear paragraph.
We do not know the formulae, increasing defences may decrease the damage taken by a lot more than increasing offences will increase the damage dealt.

In PSO and PSU, the best players chose to ignore getting hit to increase DPS.

Judging from the CBT, increasing your offence seems really pointless, since I could kill regular enemies in the blink of an eye and deal 2400+ damage to bosses. On the other hand, even though I rarely got hit, when I did it was for 50~80% of my HP.

No, it's quite factual.
When I say 'impossible to avoid damage' I mean that it's never going to be possible to run 'naked' as it was put earlier in comparison to MH.
If you were not getting hit once in the CBT, it was because you were playing Forest on your own.

Your assumption that my experience with the combat was solo forest is unfounded. My experiences included forest, caves, and the urban area almost always in a group. My point still stands that damage is completely avoidable.

Even you admit that you rarely got hit. Even further you admit that you took a range of 50% to 80% of your health in damage, a rather significant chunk of your health. The reason defense is negligible is because a single hit deals such a large amount of damage. Even if defense has a higher impact than offense does in a single calculation, since offense occurs far more frequently the more times it is utilized the more effective it becomes overall.

Again to go back to the previous example since for some reason it confused you, if a player has say 600 health and the enemy is dealing somewhere between 400-480 damage to you after a single hit you will need to heal as you now have 120-200 health left meaning the next hit will kill you. Now you increase your defense slightly and it reduces damage by 10. you now only take 390-470 damage; however, now at 130-210 health you still require a heal after one hit.

On the other hand offensively an enemy may have somewhere around 50000 health. you may be dealing 600 damage per hit which in the end totals 84 hits before you kill the monster. Now you add 5 more damage per hit, half of what the defense you gained earlier and you're already down to 83 hits before the monster dies. For defense to reduce the amount of hits you have to take simply by 1 it would take at least 10 upgrades before at the minimum damage you could take 2 hits without dying whereas offense you will consistently be reducing the amount of hits to kill it by 1 every other upgrade or so.

If the damage formulas for both player to enemy and enemy to player are available then please feel free to post them and prove your point arithmetically as I did above and I'll gladly take your point into consideration; however, right now even using the numbers I did above which were already greatly embellished as I know even multiple points in offense or defense didn't pull gains as high as the ones I posted above. Even then offense increased by half of defense proves itself more useful than defense is.

Reia
May 18, 2012, 02:07 PM
Well we all know about how damn is that there are 3 split defense, for me best choice if you care for survaibility is to roll Human and put HP related slotting. My only critique to Newman is the low HP but well it's kinda their downside for having the same ATP as human and way more TP than any other race.

NoiseHERO
May 18, 2012, 02:07 PM
Last I checked this isnt an intellectual battle :(

Just because anyone can build a character any way they like and get results does not mean that there aren't builds that are more efficient at getting results than others.

The argument that was put forth over what would make RAnewearl useful is tech defense; thus, the discussion took a turn towards if defense is actually useful to justify the RAnewearl's tech defense advantage.

Rambling on about how useful stats will be based on your experience with 5% of the game... You're right that's not an intellectual battle! That's a NORMAL "I'm right and you're all dumb on topic of nothing important" battle!

YEAH!

YOUR 10 POINTS OF EXTRA TECH DEFENSE IS REALLY WORTH THE CONVERSATION!

I know you're all just bored and have nothing else to talk about!

MAKE A NEW THREAD TO ARGUE ABOUT STATS, THEN BE A HERO-NO YOU! DO IT!

Reia
May 18, 2012, 02:09 PM
And you know the real guys who knows what to be optimal don't even care to talk around in forums because they have more important care in spending more time in getting overpowered than wasting it in a forum? :3

NoiseHERO
May 18, 2012, 02:11 PM
And you know the real guys who knows what to be optimal don't even care to talk around in forums because they have more important care in spending more time in getting overpowered than wasting it in a forum? :3

No, they just don't want everyone to copy their no-life achieved stats!

Lance813
May 18, 2012, 05:57 PM
Seriously, you guys are ridiculous... Go complain about FOcasts some more, and come back crying while my Newearl out-plays your HUcast or whatever.

A RAnewearl is going to be a great distance character. With both good techs and range, how could you seriously disagree? With MAGs thrown in to the mix don't be expecting to do more DPS than a good RAnewearl from afar. I mean, listen...

You run into an enemy weak to lightning? Oh, I have Razonde on my palette. Foie? Oh, same thing... I can freeze enemies and once their frozen I can pull out my launcher and destroy them. With Standing Shot or that crouching one, go into FPS mode and crit the bosses weak spot? Call the battle over, man.

When I first thought about the idea of having a RAnewearl I thought of all of the possibilities and honestly I can say it is the class I'm the most excited for right now.

BIG OLAF
May 18, 2012, 06:13 PM
The practical point to a RAnewearl is you get to be a female space-elf with guns.

There you go.

Stop getting all worked up about who's going to be the very best (like no one ever was!) with stats and shit and just play whatever you want.

PSO Addict
May 18, 2012, 06:23 PM
Please use the pokemon creation thread to discuss who is the very best (like no one ever was!).

Sp-24
May 18, 2012, 06:23 PM
The practical point to a RAnewearl is you get to be a female space-elf with guns.

That's not practical, that's aesthetical. The practical part is actually entirely about stats and, in no small part, shit. Which also happens to be the point of the thread, as one can tell from the title.

Spellbinder
May 18, 2012, 06:35 PM
Seriously, you guys are ridiculous... Go complain about FOcasts some more, and come back crying while my Newearl out-plays your HUcast or whatever.

A RAnewearl is going to be a great distance character. With both good techs and range, how could you seriously disagree? With MAGs thrown in to the mix don't be expecting to do more DPS than a good RAnewearl from afar. I mean, listen...

You run into an enemy weak to lightning? Oh, I have Razonde on my palette. Foie? Oh, same thing... I can freeze enemies and once their frozen I can pull out my launcher and destroy them. With Standing Shot or that crouching one, go into FPS mode and crit the bosses weak spot? Call the battle over, man.

When I first thought about the idea of having a RAnewearl I thought of all of the possibilities and honestly I can say it is the class I'm the most excited for right now.

You do realize... that RAnewearl cannot use techniques right?

Sp-24
May 18, 2012, 06:43 PM
People are just assuming that when advanced classes come out, RA+FO class will have full access to all of the benefits of both ranger and force classes.

BIG OLAF
May 18, 2012, 06:47 PM
That's not practical, that's aesthetical. The practical part is actually entirely about stats and, in no small part, shit. Which also happens to be the point of the thread, as one can tell from the title.

I see you missed the satire of my previous post. Let me quote myself and rephrase for you:

SHUT UP. WHO CARES?

Sp-24
May 18, 2012, 06:57 PM
SHUT UP. WHO CARES?

A sound advice for somebody who neither likes to see people discuss things nor can keep quiet about it.

BIG OLAF
May 18, 2012, 07:07 PM
A sound advice for somebody who neither likes to see people discuss things nor can keep quiet about it.

Oh, I thoroughly enjoy discussions. But, I don't see a point to all this hearsay and speculation. The game isn't even out yet, and when it is, the level cap will be 40. Who's to say what will be the best in anything?

I can see we may have our new Nilok, though.

Miyoko
May 18, 2012, 07:07 PM
People are just assuming that when advanced classes come out, RA+FO class will have full access to all of the benefits of both ranger and force classes.

This. I'm seriously baffled as to why people think they're going to get a class that's a full powered force and a full powered ranger in one. Did you people use RAmarl and HUnewearl techs for their damage in PSO, too?

Vintasticvin
May 18, 2012, 07:15 PM
Olaf, who in the devil is Nilok?

Enforcer MKV
May 18, 2012, 09:38 PM
Shenanigans

Just a normal day in the threads, nothing to see here, move along. :-P

Taitu
May 18, 2012, 10:58 PM
Oh, I thoroughly enjoy discussions. But, I don't see a point to all this hearsay and speculation. The game isn't even out yet, and when it is, the level cap will be 40. Who's to say what will be the best in anything?

I can see we may have our new Nilok, though.

If this were the case why even discuss PSO2 at all right now? We should just close down the PSO2 forum until the game comes out because obviously discussing the game is pointless since everything discussed is only speculation. Yes it is speculation; however, that doesn't mean it's not fun or interesting to get the wheels spinning to gain perspective for release.

It's amusing that any form of conflicting views on this forum is immediately labelled as some sort of outrageous moddable offense. I don't see any ill intent between anyone outside of the people who came in here accusing the discussion of being off key. While the discussion no longer matches exactly with the topic label it is(or rather was seeing as this topic seems to now be about off-topic topics thanks to the very people accusing the discussion as being off-topic) still pertaining to the overall topic of what makes RAnewearl worth playing. Perhaps I'm the only one that finds it laughable that the topic is now only off topic because of the people accusing this topic of being off topic.

NoiseHERO
May 18, 2012, 11:06 PM
If this were the case why even discuss PSO2 at all right now? We should just close down the PSO2 forum until the game comes out because obviously discussing the game is pointless since everything discussed is only speculation. Yes it is speculation; however, that doesn't mean it's not fun or interesting to get the wheels spinning to gain perspective for release.

It's amusing that any form of conflicting views on this forum is immediately labelled as some sort of outrageous moddable offense. I don't see any ill intent between anyone outside of the people who came in here accusing the discussion of being off key. While the discussion no longer matches exactly with the topic label it is(or rather was seeing as this topic seems to now be about off-topic topics thanks to the very people accusing the discussion as being off-topic) still pertaining to the overall topic of what makes RAnewearl worth playing. Perhaps I'm the only one that finds it laughable that the topic is now only off topic because of the people accusing this topic of being off topic.

I only read like parts of what you said, and I know you're basically saying "any thread about some unreleased game = pointless speculation drama battles are still cool"

But we're far enough into the game where we can talk about what we do have!

Or at least any speculation based argument aren't valid enough for people to get their panties in a twist over. and you know this isn't 2011, that's not cool anymore.

Enforcer MKV
May 18, 2012, 11:37 PM

....the first thing that popped into my head reading this was one of those "Yo dawg, I heard you like X" jokes.

anyway, now that that's off my chest.

Really, there isn't any practical reason. It's all about player choice. based on stats from the Beta (which are subject to change, anyway.) A lot of classes don't have a huge advantage over the others (at least from what I recall). While that is a bit saddening, at least people have more of a chance of making characters that they want, instead of crunching numbers trying to maximize their stats. I can make a RACast because I'm a fan of mecha, and someone else can make a RAnewearl because they want an adorable Newman with a gun.

...and This is gonna veer the topic off course again, but what does everyone think of characters getting a bonus for the class they choose as their starter? As an incentive to stick with that choice and not bounce all over the place. It's not as strict as forcing you to stick with one job, but it could be used to just encourage people a little.

MrFortegunner
May 18, 2012, 11:42 PM
So uhh...back on topic >.<.

One thing I'm scared about is that the cast will make for the best fortegunners by far, and if fortegunners have exclusive access to some steller ranged weapons...I would want in on that...but it'd already be too late with a RAnewearl who's more or less destined to go down a guntecher-ish route.... Sorry...I'm a real stat-maxing whore...though I can appreciate just doing up the game for the fun of it and not being so caught up in a trivial stat difference.

I'll probably just go with my RAnewearl in the end and be happy.

End ramble.

Miyoko
May 19, 2012, 12:09 AM

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv305/CrashGordon94/ConfusedPatrick.png

but what does everyone think of characters getting a bonus for the class they choose as their starter? As an incentive to stick with that choice and not bounce all over the place. It's not as strict as forcing you to stick with one job, but it could be used to just encourage people a little.

Nothing wrong with bouncing all over the place. What were you thinking, though?

Also, I had a thought... What do you think the pre-requisites for other classes is going to be? Since taking on a new class is essentially starting at Lv1 again, it might not work the same as it did in PSU...

NoiseHERO
May 19, 2012, 12:14 AM
SEE?

OP EVEN SAID HIMSELF "So... back on topic? >_<"

Doing whatever you want in videogames wins again!!

Vintasticvin
May 19, 2012, 01:10 AM
Rock Eastwood you're a hero.... now lets get to making babehs :3

soulpimpwizzurd
May 19, 2012, 02:24 AM
wat happened when i was gone

ay dawg u shuld jus put "do whatevuh you want in vidyagayms got da biggest vert outta all yall" in ur sig mayn.

haha, vert.

Macman
May 19, 2012, 02:56 AM
Hey.

Quit gettin' mad at unreleased videogames. Min/max'ers are gonna min/max, best to leave them to their own devices.

Lance813
May 19, 2012, 03:18 AM
Where is this argument coming from? /v/ argues less than this forum.

NoiseHERO
May 19, 2012, 03:35 AM
Where is this argument coming from? /v/ argues less than this forum.

IT'S OKAY!

I DESTROYED IT ALL!

-AH--AAGRRGHHG THERE'S A BUG ON MY CHIN!!

Oh it's just my headphone cord.

Macman
May 19, 2012, 03:38 AM
I wish Rock Eastwood's keyboard had a method to read his bloodsugar rating and disable all input when it passes a certain threshold.

NoiseHERO
May 19, 2012, 03:47 AM
I wish Rock Eastwood's keyboard had a method to read his bloodsugar rating and disable all input when it passes a certain threshold.

Now that wouldn't be very fun now, would it?

WHY WOULD YOU WISH FOR SOMETHING SO BORING! D8

Wait, I don't need sugar to be a dick!

Also if you multiply my current post count by two (4004 as of this post) it'd say BOOB...

Heh..

MrFortegunner
May 19, 2012, 04:10 AM
...I had no idea reddit culture's tentacles of darkness had spread as far as my pso-world haven...T~T.

BIG OLAF
May 19, 2012, 04:20 AM
...I had no idea reddit culture's tentacles of darkness had spread as far as my pso-world haven...T~T.

I'd probably have to blame mass PSO2 withdrawals being responsible for making everyone so testy and disagreeable, honestly. The forums were a bit of a nasty place before the Closed Beta, too. Everything should go back to sunshine n' rainbows after the Open Beta is up and ready to go.

....I think.

NoiseHERO
May 19, 2012, 04:28 AM
What the hell is reddit?

All I've heard was that is was some wannabe 4chan for people that failed to fit in on 4chan, which actually makes it more pathetic than... 4chan.

FenixStryk
May 19, 2012, 04:40 AM
Between /vg/, reddit and PSO-World, this forum is without a doubt the worst. Constant derails, snide comments, inflated egos and general misinformation run rampant here, to far greater degrees than the other two. There's a reason I'm not going to PSO-W's ship.

Back on topic,
I'm going to main a FOnewearl, but I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up switching to HU or RA down the line. I have no intention of buying alternate character slots, and the stat loss from RAcaseal to RAnewearl is piddly; there's no point in sweating the small stuff.

BIG OLAF
May 19, 2012, 04:49 AM
Constant derails, snide comments, inflated egos and general misinformation run rampant here, to far greater degrees than the other two.

I'll give you the first one, and maybe I'll give you 1/2 a credit for the second and third ones, but you make it sound way worse than it actually is. As for 'misinformation', care to give examples? I expect a lot of examples are readily available, seeing as they're "running rampant."

There's a reason I'm not going to PSO-W's ship.

Given your attitude and generalizations, I don't think anyone will miss you. Oh dear, that was a 'snide comment', wasn't it? I had a very pleasant time with all the other PSOWers during the Closed Beta, save for maybe one or two people in isolated incidents. So, it seems you're the one who's spreading the misinformation, methinks.

Macman
May 19, 2012, 04:52 AM
Between /vg/, reddit and PSO-World, this forum is without a doubt the worst.
Well your attitude certainly isn't helping matters. I had plenty of fun during CBT in block 20. If this place is so bad, why are you here?

NoiseHERO
May 19, 2012, 05:35 AM
Between /vg/, reddit and PSO-World, this forum is without a doubt the worst. Constant derails, snide comments, inflated egos and general misinformation run rampant here, to far greater degrees than the other two. There's a reason I'm not going to PSO-W's ship.

Back on topic,
I'm going to main a FOnewearl, but I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up switching to HU or RA down the line. I have no intention of buying alternate character slots, and the stat loss from RAcaseal to RAnewearl is piddly; there's no point in sweating the small stuff.

Wait...

Other online forums for cult following fanbase games are different?? : O

Why use popular troll infest websites as a benchmark!

The whole internet falls into Schrodinger's law!

A snide comment from Zyru taught me that one, instead of whining about negativity then running away, turn it into your weapon and enforce your justice!

LokinModar
May 19, 2012, 10:04 AM
Well, i like pointy ears and ranger females, so there is a point in Ranewearl for me...

Reia
May 19, 2012, 11:33 AM
Well your attitude certainly isn't helping matters. I had plenty of fun during CBT in block 20. If this place is so bad, why are you here?

Well, He doesn't. Like me, he seems to roam the forums just for getting updated info, not to mess with the community. Still I don't know what could had push him to say things like that. Even for me stating that is totally unneccesary.

RocSage
May 19, 2012, 11:37 AM
Its a game. There is no "practical" point to it save for fun and stress relief. If you prefer to play a female newman ranger than a male cast ranger what difference does it make unless you are one who believes that stats make the player better.

Jonth
May 19, 2012, 11:59 AM
Forget you people, I'm making a Motavian Force... A FOmotav I guess?

Scotty T
May 19, 2012, 12:18 PM
Its a game. There is no "practical" point to it save for fun and stress relief. If you prefer to play a female newman ranger than a male cast ranger what difference does it make unless you are one who believes that stats make the player better.

Caseal > Cast for ranger ;-)

Taitu
May 19, 2012, 12:20 PM
I only read like parts of what you said, and I know you're basically saying "any thread about some unreleased game = pointless speculation drama battles are still cool"

But we're far enough into the game where we can talk about what we do have!

Or at least any speculation based argument aren't valid enough for people to get their panties in a twist over. and you know this isn't 2011, that's not cool anymore.

My apologies if I find it hard to take this advice seriously from someone who had a 20 page long drama battle about PVP on a different thread when PVP is not one of these "things we do have." The only 'drama battle' I even see here is the one that you are instigating, the stat discussion was perfectly tame.

SEE?

OP EVEN SAID HIMSELF "So... back on topic? >_<"

Doing whatever you want in videogames wins again!!

Infallible, clearly he's referring to the discussion that was occurring 2 or 3 pages earlier and not the completely off topic one that was occurring almost directly above his post.

Anyway; regardless, with things the way they are now and with no knowledge of how the 'subclass' system will work the only advantage RAnewearl has at the moment is its T.Def bonus, so from that perspective to sum up how I feel is that yes you will be minimally gimped by the negligible racial differences as defense is less valuable than offense.

As someone who plays Human though I don't feel that the racial differences are going to be enough to ruin the experience if you play the race you want, so that is to say if you want to play RAnewearl then play RAnewearl. If for some reason you absolutely feel like your racial stat bonuses are causing you issues in the future you may always switch your class, or perhaps we will receive a class system similar to PSU's where your T.Atk stat may come into play. I doubt your racial stats will cause you any noticeable harm though.

NoiseHERO
May 19, 2012, 01:11 PM
My apologies if I find it hard to take this advice seriously from someone who had a 20 page long drama battle about PVP on a different thread when PVP is not one of these "things we do have." The only 'drama battle' I even see here is the one that you are instigating, the stat discussion was perfectly tame.

Infallible, clearly he's referring to the discussion that was occurring 2 or 3 pages earlier and not the completely off topic one that was occurring almost directly above his post.

Anyway; regardless, with things the way they are now and with no knowledge of how the 'subclass' system will work the only advantage RAnewearl has at the moment is its T.Def bonus, so from that perspective to sum up how I feel is that yes you will be minimally gimped by the negligible racial differences as defense is less valuable than offense.

As someone who plays Human though I don't feel that the racial differences are going to be enough to ruin the experience if you play the race you want, so that is to say if you want to play RAnewearl then play RAnewearl. If for some reason you absolutely feel like your racial stat bonuses are causing you issues in the future you may always switch your class, or perhaps we will receive a class system similar to PSU's where your T.Atk stat may come into play. I doubt your racial stats will cause you any noticeable harm though.

No he was all "DUDE WHAT'S THIS ELITIST CRUNCHING MIN/MAXING STAT DRAMA GOING ON??" like I did, then he just said "I'M JUST GONNA PICK RANEWEARL ANYWAY /end argument D8"

Then I was all "I JUST HAD 6 REDBULLS!" then everyone was like "YOU JUST HAD 6 REDBULLS??"

Tone down, bro.

Oh and no matter what you think or do (or find necessary dead-end arguing or speculating about) SEGA just wants you to buy skill trees/skill tree resets by the time more weapons... classes... or even subclasses, or even new races altogether come out. Unless they have enough honor to give us resets for free with major updates! 8D

[spoiler-box]As for the PVP thing, that was more fueled by how extremely irrational some people will be just to prove a point, against something so SIMPLE. Also it wasn't 20 pages and my part of the argument was settled. Unlike other people who just get butthurt, and give up and keep their bitter fanboy feelings hurt after their e-battles.[/spoiler-box]

Omega-z
May 19, 2012, 01:42 PM
defense is less valuable than offense LOL. We don't know that for sure in PSO2, true in PSU since every thing was candy coated for power.

Lance813
May 19, 2012, 02:26 PM
So guys, was RAnewm even brought up once in this thread? Tell me how shitty that class is going to be as well... :wacko:

EDIT: But yeah, it has been very testy around here ever since the PSO2 section was created. I don't think I will be able to take this place seriously, for the most part, until the game is released and people are more worried about playing it rather than arguing and speculating. I mean, speculating can be fun but ah lost cause. whatever, don't care.

Enforcer MKV
May 19, 2012, 02:32 PM
Nothing wrong with bouncing all over the place. What were you thinking, though?

Also, I had a thought... What do you think the pre-requisites for other classes is going to be? Since taking on a new class is essentially starting at Lv1 again, it might not work the same as it did in PSU...

[SPOILER-BOX]Oh, there certainly isn't anything wrong with it, it was just a thought that popped into my head. Basically, it just makes you think a little bit more about your initial choice, and gives you a literal stat bonus on top of any racial stats you have. It popped into my mind when I read some posts complaining about changing classes (I know, I know.) and I started thinking about a middle ground. There's more to it, but I don't really want to go into too much detail because the tread has been derailed enough as it stands. I don't really want to add to that, even if I think it has a slight bit of relevance. (not that it matters in the end, not like it'd be added to the game anyway. ^^;) As for pre-reqs, I honestly can't say. I didn't mess around with changing my class in closed Beta, and I don't really plan on changing too often in release, either....unless they introduce things like guntecher. Then the combat medic that was Enforcer MkV will truly be reborn. :lol:[/SPOILER-BOX]

One thing I'm scared about is that the cast will make for the best fortegunners by far, and if fortegunners have exclusive access to some steller ranged weapons...I would want in on that...but it'd already be too late with a RAnewearl who's more or less destined to go down a guntecher-ish route.... Sorry...I'm a real stat-maxing whore...though I can appreciate just doing up the game for the fun of it and not being so caught up in a trivial stat difference.

End ramble.

That's the best course of action if you ask me. Honestly, if you get kicked out of a party for playing a Newman Ranger, you probably wouldn't like playing with those kinds of people, anyway. Play whatever race/class combination you want. So long as you can hit your target and know what you're doing, you're fine in my book.

And this is coming from a RACast.

Chik'Tikka
May 19, 2012, 08:29 PM
omg....+^_^+

End ramble.

I'm not reading this thread anymore+^_^+

BIG OLAF
May 19, 2012, 11:34 PM

See? You finally get it. Good on you, mate. :-)

MrFortegunner
May 21, 2012, 12:35 AM
There's a reason I'm not going to PSO-W's ship.

Wait, there's a psow ship 0o? Tell me! I wanna join <3.

BIG OLAF
May 21, 2012, 03:16 AM
Wait, there's a psow ship 0o? Tell me! I wanna join <3.

Ship 2, Block 20 (and 21 if 20 is full) will be the Official PSOW Ship/Block for PSO2. So come on down and have some fun!

Zorafim
May 21, 2012, 03:17 PM
But yeah, it has been very testy around here ever since the PSO2 section was created.

No it hasn't! This is the friendliest forum I know of! If you want testy, go to any WoW forum. Or MMO gamefaqs forum. Or any official forum. Or any forum that is not this one!

Keep in mind, one bad apple spoils the bunch. No, that's not quite right... One bad egg makes you buy another carton? I think I'll stick with, the vocal minority is heard the loudest. The rest of the forum can be a peaceful, friendly place, but one guy moaning about something can be enough for it to be offputting. Just don't let that one guy get you down, and look for the guys in a good mood, if you want to have a good time.

goldwing
May 21, 2012, 03:19 PM
Well put kinsmen ^

MrFortegunner
May 22, 2012, 01:10 AM
Ship 2, Block 20 (and 21 if 20 is full) will be the Official PSOW Ship/Block for PSO2. So come on down and have some fun!

Thank you'z! It would've been nicer if there were a cooler choice, like ship 13, block 37, or something to that effect xD

Zorafim
May 22, 2012, 03:36 AM
Why didn't we have you when we voted for official ship? Ah, the opportunity we missed...

NoiseHERO
May 22, 2012, 03:54 AM
Because there is no ship 13!

Chik'Tikka
May 22, 2012, 09:27 AM
Because there is no ship 13!

no ship 13.... yet+^_^+