PDA

View Full Version : Ryo's Art Contest - Voting begins!

Ryo
May 23, 2012, 08:26 PM
Mimo is the winner, congratulations!

ARKIVES and VANNO are tied with three votes a piece, we'll use a random number generator to determine prize order.

PMs are going to the winners now, thank you all for participating!

***VOTING IS NOW OPEN! We have one week until we determine winners! First place will receive an Eleanor model kit, second and third place will also receive fabulous prizes, TBD... those prizes will be presented to those winners, good luck everyone!***

Alright, so here are the current contest entries. There's still time to add submissions, I know a few folks are gonna go for it, so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out!

Now remember, the winner will be receiving an Eleanor PSO model kit after voting is over. Second and Third place will also receive prizes that are yet to be determined.

VOTING IS CLOSING IN 40 MINUTES! GET THOSE FINAL VOTES IN!

Without further ado, here are the current entrants (I will edit this post as we receive more entries):

Mimo:

[spoiler-box]
http://i.imgur.com/nPdNF.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

Gama:

[spoiler-box]
http://i.imgur.com/8C9vR.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

Arkives:

[spoiler-box]
http://i.imgur.com/ARoXe.png
[/spoiler-box]

VANNO:

[spoiler-box]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/DarkWingKnight/ryocontest2.png
[/spoiler-box]

qoxolg:

[spoiler-box]
http://jojo.sappusx.com/ok270s.jpg (http://www.deviantart.com/download/301934775/ryo_by_q_arts-d4zrid3.jpg)
[/spoiler-box]

goldwing
May 25, 2012, 12:51 AM
Whens it start? Also dose it have to b amazeing fan art or just ok? I really want to try out for the prize but um well idk if anything i come up with could compete :(

Ryo
May 25, 2012, 11:53 AM
Whens it start? Also dose it have to b amazeing fan art or just ok? I really want to try out for the prize but um well idk if anything i come up with could compete :(

Anyone is welcome to submit anything! The community will be doing the voting, so it's up to all of you to decide who wins prizes! Just PM me or post your submission in this thread and I'll add it!

Shadownami92
May 25, 2012, 09:04 PM
I know you say voting begins soon, but when is the actual deadline? Some people might want to enter, but might not want to put time into a super awesome entry if the contest ends before they can actually finish...

VANNO
May 25, 2012, 11:49 PM
EDIT:

Contest entry-
[SPOILER-BOX]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/DarkWingKnight/ryocontest2.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Ryo
May 26, 2012, 12:39 AM
I know you say voting begins soon, but when is the actual deadline? Some people might want to enter, but might not want to put time into a super awesome entry if the contest ends before they can actually finish...

We'll set the deadline at next Friday. I'd say that'd be ample time! However, if anyone thinks I should extend it further, PM me or reply, I'm not gonna cut someone off who's really working hard on something!

Mimo
May 27, 2012, 02:52 AM
It's nice of you to be giving artists a chance to win a neat prize, but I didn't really enter this contest. I drew that picture on my own time and for all three users shown. Really flattered, but I'm not sure.. I just don't think I deserve to be put into the judging. It's just how I feel, but the decision is yours. ^^

Ryo
May 28, 2012, 01:41 AM
It's nice of you to be giving artists a chance to win a neat prize, but I didn't really enter this contest. I drew that picture on my own time and for all three users shown. Really flattered, but I'm not sure.. I just don't think I deserve to be put into the judging. It's just how I feel, but the decision is yours. ^^

I'm giving an equal chance to everyone who was kind enough to draw for me vs drawing for the contest. I see no reason why you should be excluded from a chance to win a prize, unless of course you'd rather not, which is fine.

It's a great opportunity for some awesome character art to get showcased, regardless. I hope you don't mind!

Also, VANNO, nice entry! I've updated the OP to include your new art.

Ryo
Jun 2, 2012, 05:56 PM
I'm still working out some kinks with the poll. I'll bump again as soon as the poll is up

LK1721
Jun 3, 2012, 04:09 AM
Oh darn, too bad I didn't see this earlier, I could have entered. Oh well, maybe next time! Good luck to all of the contestants!

Chik'Tikka
Jun 3, 2012, 04:15 AM
gama and vanno looked like they were done on a computing machine robot thingy with a rat and a typewriter that has a tail thingy+^_^+ so i ended up stuck between mimo and arkives, which of the 2 did i vote for again? i shouldn't post at 4:14 am, i can't see strait.... is it still a hangover if you never went to sleep?+^_^+

Gama
Jun 4, 2012, 06:56 AM
its quite obvious for me whose going to win. "not me" :D

id say mimo. or qoxolg

BIG OLAF
Jun 4, 2012, 10:54 AM
I think Mimo's looks really good and all that, but I couldn't shake the fact that Ryo's character isn't the sole focus of the piece. I feel like that's kind of a big deal in a contest about him, but that's just me. No offense intended or anything.

NoiseHERO
Jun 4, 2012, 11:11 AM
Kind of a weird contest... D:

If ryo could get requests n stuff, why did it seem like no one wanted to make art for the sole purpose of a contest? @_@

For multiple reasons that are painful to explain I really hate contests, or at least I'm never satisfied with how I do and place in them, but a laid back contest like the one ryo originally wanted couldn't have been that bad.

Sayara
Jun 4, 2012, 11:18 AM
I would of been on the assumption that he'd choose the best choice for his own contest, not rely on the fanbase.

Vote the favorite contests always turned me off considering my outlandish style and behavior in the art world.

Im not voting but i digress.

Ryo
Jun 4, 2012, 02:29 PM
I would of been on the assumption that he'd choose the best choice for his own contest, not rely on the fanbase.

Vote the favorite contests always turned me off considering my outlandish style and behavior in the art world.

Im not voting but i digress.

I wanted to just pick it myself, but in the end I wanted to avoid accusations of bias or of things being "fixed" so I wanted to give the community the opportunity to vote, to make it more fair, I suppose.

This whole thing seems to have blown up a bit X_X

Kind of a weird contest... D:

If ryo could get requests n stuff, why did it seem like no one wanted to make art for the sole purpose of a contest? @_@

For multiple reasons that are painful to explain I really hate contests, or at least I'm never satisfied with how I do and place in them, but a laid back contest like the one ryo originally wanted couldn't have been that bad.

Yeah, I didn't expect folks to do my requests so readily based on the reaction to the contest, but who knows? I just wanted to reward great artists for great work! Since I couldn't draw, I figured I could at least give prizes...

qoxolg
Jun 4, 2012, 02:52 PM
Hey, no big deal!

At least this shows you really appreciated the art you received from this little community. People requesting me to draw their character is enough of a prize to me. It shows they appreciate my stuff, so I will always try to give back the best I can (and because I want to impress myself HA HA HA).

I am with Sayara though. Community votes are most of the time more biased, because a lot of people will vote for the artist, instead of the artwork.

Akaimizu
Jun 4, 2012, 10:47 PM
Very true. It can be a popularity contest in a number of ways. Still, I find myself having a hard time voting on this one. This is because I'm in love with various takes on an art style. (Kind of like how an artist might create a famous character and want to see fans come up with completely different artistic takes on their character and not of an exact copy of the style they did themselves. Which reminds me of the mistake many make when doing an art contest specifically for the artist that did the original work. A number end up copying their style verbatim, thinking the one that can draw exactly like them would win.)

What's interesting is more or less there's a specific and distinct classic art-direction that is taken between the pictures shown here. This makes one have to think that if they are indeed homages, how well do they represent them.

goldwing
Jun 4, 2012, 11:14 PM
most contests end up being just that a popularity contest. all of the art work here are great tho id vote for all if i could.

VANNO
Jun 5, 2012, 12:32 PM
I like the idea of having contest because it rewards people who have worked hard. I don't really care about placing or getting a prize. I'm sure the others feel this way too. I'm mostly in it for publicity and seeing comments that people say about my work. Beside People are always bias no matter where or what anyone does. If I had a chance to vote for my friend I would. In the end, that's just a fact of life.

Ryo
Jun 8, 2012, 03:32 PM
We're closing in on the end of voting! I'll be casting my vote toward the end and then winners will be announced! I'm working on getting the second and third-place prizes in order, so stay tuned!

Ryo
Jun 11, 2012, 09:34 AM
Still waiting on a reply from Mimo. Sorry VANNO and Arkives, I'll let you know as soon as I get a response!