PDA

View Full Version : So, for all of you who played PSO2

Ultimate Hunter
May 24, 2012, 04:39 PM
Is it better than Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II? I ask this because even though I didn't play Universe I could tell it was a lot different so I had less interest in regards to that game. Now with PSO2 SEGA seems to have gone back to PSO basics adding some PSU elements to it! The system sure looks more familiar and the overall graphics are amazing! Also, PSO2 is more open when it comes to maps, movement and combos but is it really better than the old ones? What do you think?

NoiseHERO
May 24, 2012, 04:40 PM
You have to play it yourself to believe how awesome it is.

Enforcer MKV
May 24, 2012, 04:41 PM
abso-friggin-lutely-epic.

That is all. Carry on.

EDIT: I realized that I didn't actually answer the question, so I will.

In short: Yes, much better than the others I've played. (BB, PSU)

Scotty T
May 24, 2012, 04:42 PM
More like PSU basics with PSO elements.

But its still good :P

Shakuri
May 24, 2012, 04:45 PM
lol, no. Nothing can beat the original, ever...well, unless they remake it.

NoiseHERO
May 24, 2012, 04:56 PM
Imagine PSO.

If it wasn't boring.

And everything PSU didn't fuck up.

Put it together.

PSO2.

skuld01
May 24, 2012, 05:07 PM
if you ask me, so far I can tell PSO2 have a better element on action (you can JUMP! JUMP and shoot! JUMPANDSHOOTMAN!)

In story, only chapter 0 and chapter 1 can be accessed in cbt so far, so I cant tell. (Oh and only 2 planets)

Graphizzzz? instead of graphic, check that physic on certain part of certain character~~~
(and yea, the graphic is better than most of other MMO, not talking about certain 80G client game)

Try it yourself! JUMPANDSHOOTMAN!

(in really smallvoiceandfastspeaking) Actually the game is not all about jump and shoot like megaman and you cant wall jump but you can dash/roll/mirage-float and....JUMP!

Raging Ghost
May 24, 2012, 05:14 PM
if you ask me, so far I can tell PSO2 have a better element on action (you can JUMP! JUMP and shoot! JUMPANDSHOOTMAN!)

In story, only chapter 0 and chapter 1 can be accessed in cbt so far, so I cant tell. (Oh and only 2 planets)

Graphizzzz? instead of graphic, check that physic on certain part of certain character~~~
(and yea, the graphic is better than most of other MMO, not talking about certain 80G client game)

(in really smallvoiceandfastspeaking) Actually the game is not all about jump and shoot like megaman and you cant wall jump but you can dash/roll/mirage-float and....JUMP!

Well, that and many more, like dashing and airdashing.

But hey, can you wavedash in this game?

lKeima
May 24, 2012, 05:15 PM

I c what u did thar....
My opinion, PSO2 is better. But only a little bit.

soulpimpwizzurd
May 24, 2012, 05:24 PM

wat are wave dash

forgot about op's question

pso2 is really good.

the core gameplay elements of the game are incredibly solid. loving action games, i think pso2 did a fantastic job. the fact that you get hurt pretty badly by enemies your level makes the game more exciting as well.

there's also animation canceling in the game, quite a bit of it at that. although that one guy doesn't like it, i think it kicks the action up a notch. you also don't really have to get used to faster play style that utilizes canceling if you're playing a hunter. it's totally possible to just play the game regularly. I WONE WAN PLAY WITCHU IF YOU DOEN GET GUD DOE. jk

ranger and force are also really fun, although i think force class is a little weak. the tps mode that can be engaged by all classes is really great, and adds good flexibility to the game as well.

they've really outdone themselves imo. what matters now is how they handle the game from here on out, and how often they can develop actual content (stages/worlds/classes/races/mini games etc., not bullshit like events, or cash shop events, or cash shop items, etc. a lot of f2p games label cash shop updates as actual "updates to the game's content." and like 90% of their "updates" are just cash shop additions or somesuch. that bugs me.)

skuld01
May 24, 2012, 05:26 PM

Well, in PSO2 there are 3 kinds of "escape action" - the escape action depend on equipped weapon.

1st: Hunter's dash - short distance fast moving short invincible time low cooldown , those bladegun use this escape action too.

2nd: Ranger's combat roll - mid distance mid moving mid invincible time mid cooldown

3rd: Caster's Mirage (or float, whatever) - LONG distance, slow moving, LONG invincible time, long cooldown (not really long, maybe just 1 second)

note: CASTER go invisible and invincible when floating-away

I think I need to find video link about it, again it is something you need to try by yourself.

BIG OLAF
May 24, 2012, 05:33 PM
lol, no. Nothing can beat the original, ever...well, unless they remake it.

You get those rose-colored glasses soldered onto your face?

Anyway OP, PSO2 is better than PSO, PSU, and any other 'modern' PS game thus far. It takes the good elements of all of them and rolls them into one beautifully-orchestrated package.

FenixStryk
May 24, 2012, 05:48 PM
In PSO2, you can jump, dash, airdash, instant airdash and wavedash (HU-type dash only IIRC). I'm not sure I agree with the story, the level pacing or the lack of difficulty just yet, but the combat engine itself is superior.

Moah
May 24, 2012, 05:50 PM
While I love PSO2 so far and want to play moar of it, I think it's too soon for me to say It's better than PSO. Moah needs moar time with it.

Chik'Tikka
May 24, 2012, 06:04 PM
I don't know about PSO, but;
Fiesta Online = +^_^+
PSU = +^_^+
PSO2 = +^_^+

~Inu~
May 24, 2012, 06:22 PM
The real fun factor comes from the fact the game is so fast paced.
It's a true "Action RPG" and manages to hold the adrenaline rush of a fighting game.

You can bind 3 Photon artes(or techs) to a weapon and alternate through them every normal attack swing, to do a charge attack you attack right when the 'red circle' appears around your character. The flow of attacking feels very good and you have plenty of control over your character (it's not stiff at all like PSO)

It will be so worth the wait.

Zorafim
May 24, 2012, 06:58 PM
I tried comparing every aspect I could from PSO and PSO2 against each other. So far, the only thing PSO does better is the maps, which are more mazelike, and you can't look ahead to see if you're reaching a dead end or not, while PSO2's dead ends are much more noticeable and it's possible to rush to the boss without killing anything.

Besides that? PSO2 wins out, hands down. It did many things that PSO did well, better. And it did many things that PSO did poorly, well. PSU may have been a disappointment (Though the best chat program I've ever used), but PSO2 is looking very promising.

skuld01
May 24, 2012, 07:12 PM
To sum it down:

PSO2 have superior fighting action for a RPG game,(JUMP and SHOOT in 3D TPS/MH action)

Beside that, since so far max level is 20 and only 2 planets which limiting available quest/map/skillset, let's hope new maps and quest can be more fun in further planets.

Character Design is SCI-FI Japanese anime style, you can get the idea from the benchmark which comes with character creation. It is actually a big plus for me. (And the reason that I am never going to play Diablo 3)

And the character are voiced in Japanese (for sure), I dont like any game that being dubbed or "localization". That's why I am gonna stay in JP server. AND I give 9.5/10 for JP PSO2 but only a 7/10 for US PSO2 since it will be dubbed.

foreignreign
May 24, 2012, 07:18 PM
I see PSO2 as a Monster Hunter. In space. With more RPG elements.

That's like the best thing.

Blizz3112
May 24, 2012, 08:05 PM
Really? How ironic that the original PSO was the baseline Monster Hunter is based on... :-P

Omega-z
May 24, 2012, 09:50 PM
After playing both the Alpha 2 and Closed BETA. I would rank it this way.

Graphic's - PSO2 / PSO > PSU - The reason for this is that PSO had just a tad more detail to the back round element's. But PSO2 has more environmental condition's and more interacting Object's. Now there indeed better then PSU.

Mapping - PSO2 > PSO > PSU - The reason why that 2's better is that the Map's will change and are more interesting. But PSO had shorter block's and were more Maze like still had the same problem of PSU. PSU had a problem of Map's being to Familiarized and gotten boring the saving Grace for PSO in this was the detail's and sound for the level was better.

Sound - PSO / PSO2 > PSU - The Reason on this is that the sound in PSO where more focused on the area's themselves and wheren't just placed. 2's Sound are great but are just tad lacking at time's and 1 of them can be annoy at time's, Over all very close. PSU's just seem's to be just slapped on and not really thought out properly.

Combat - PSO2 > PSU > PSO - The reason 2's is the best is the freedom of movement and Choice you get with the flow of battle is superior to PSU. PSU had flow and added in a new level of play style in a Phantasy Star game with PA skill's. PSO is very much lacking in this department and not for it's time period, since there are games back then that had what PSO2 has. But Sega bumbled on this and added a basic linear combat system with a 1,2,3 fighting option, unique yes better no.

Control's - PSO2 > PSU > PSO - The control's are the best on 2's with the flow and option's you can get is worthy of a Action game. PSU had some but was still Lacking. PSO was very rigidity.

Navigation - PSO > PSU > PSO2 - This is one of the best thing's that PSO had was great, Had a easy to use menu system that took you out out of battle but still you had a screen if you needed to see what was going on at the same time. PSU had a more simplified version of this and had you see more of what was going on around you but the screens would get in the way of view and took awhile to scroll through at times. PSO2 is in a working state and could change but the Menu's are to broken up and out of place and very easy to get lost in If you didn't know what you are doing. You can't do action and menu scroll at the same time not as easy as you could with the other two. This could be because of the complexity of the game at the moment.

Complexity - PSO2 > PSO > PSU - 2 Has a High level of Complex stat arrangement and the uniqueness with it's Items,Weapons,Armor, Character, Enemy systems...etc. PSO Has this with the enemies, and the uniqueness of weapon's and item's. PSU didn't have this and was reduced to just a simple stat system.

Difficulty - PSO > PSO2 > PSU - At the moment this is how it is and can change during the BETA, either way both are better then PSU.

Story - PSO > PSO2 / PSU - At the moment there's not much of the story in PSO2 so to say it's better then PSU is currently unclear. But PSO's Ep. 1 and 2 story is the main focal point on so much of it's Nostalgic value that bring's that atmosphere which can be hard to surpass. The problem is that it can't be replicated in it's timeline and the Story has to be different.

Chat - PSO2 / PSU > PSO - PSO2 has a very good Symbol chat the normal chat is fine but seem a little complex to use. PSU's normal chat was very easy to use. PSO had a basic symbol chat that was more useful then it's normal chat.

This is how it seems to me, Overall PSO2 = 6 > PSO = 4. So it's very close but PSO2 is better at the moment and could get better.

foreignreign
May 24, 2012, 11:06 PM
Really? How ironic that the original PSO was the baseline Monster Hunter is based on... :-P

An endless cycle of copying each other.

And in this case, I do not mind.

Flame
May 25, 2012, 02:23 AM
Hey OP

from one PSO fanboy to another, it's a very very different game. It's not going to make you feel the same way that PSO did but it's a high quality experience (thus far) regardless. The art direction isn't quite on par with PSO's and the story seems to be a complete stinker (good god those npcs are annoying) but the combat is satisfying and its a huge step up from PSU. It's definitely worth a try and a lot is resting on what ST has in store for us content wise come the full release.

TelleT
May 25, 2012, 02:51 AM
Sega will never make a better game than Phantasy Star Online, and by that I'm not saying that PSO2 is bad. I was really suprised how good it is, compared the the disappointment in PSU.

Since the future is here with upgraded game physics and graphics etc we won't see anything like PSO anymore.
Some people think PSO sucks because of poor graphics, which I won't agree on. PSO has it's own special charm that I fell in love with on the release on dreamcast year 2001.
Hate when people think good graphics = good game, which isn't true at all.

When they acomplished to release a game with only 4 stages and keep it alive for so long, it's just simply amazing in my eyes.

The best part of PSO2 is that it gives me this nostalgic feeling while playing it. Which I didn't experience in PSU because it was so off the chart compared to the original game.

I remember when I first saw this trailer, so amazing. Giving me the chills now each time I see it!

"And the world of Phantasy Star Online lasts for eternity"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyEnJCgTZds"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyEnJCgTZds

NoiseHERO
May 25, 2012, 03:56 AM
Don't listen to them! They're just PSO fans!

Listen to the Phantasy Star In General fans!

moorebounce
May 25, 2012, 04:04 AM
Is it better than Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II? I ask this because even though I didn't play Universe I could tell it was a lot different so I had less interest in regards to that game. Now with PSO2 SEGA seems to have gone back to PSO basics adding some PSU elements to it! The system sure looks more familiar and the overall graphics are amazing! Also, PSO2 is more open when it comes to maps, movement and combos but is it really better than the old ones? What do you think?

The thing that makes PSO2 better than all it's predecessors is character "MOVEMENT". You are playing in third person but with FPS control (which is from PSU). At this point I would've been happy with just being able to jump but in PSO2 you can attack or dodge enemy attacks while jumping.

The combo system is from PSU where you have a regular attack and Photon Art attack but with more PSO visual indicators to help with the timing. The timing of your combo changes a lot with the type of weapon you're using. The auto-targeting is from PSO but you can lock on to targets all while still being able to MOVE depending on what type of weapon you're using. You can juggle enemies now too. Changing weapons and sub-pallettes are from PSU.

In short my answer is YES its better. Sonic Team took all the good from PSO, PSU and the portable games and put them in one game.

Silenttank
May 25, 2012, 08:03 AM

My thoughts exactly.

Spellbinder
May 25, 2012, 08:27 AM

Makes sense considering Monster Hunter was originally based on PSO. :P

RocSage
May 25, 2012, 08:45 AM

except PSO wasn't based on Monster Hunter because Monster Hunter was made in 2004 which would make it pretty hard to base PSO on it...

But personally... I want an MMO like .hack\\GU's the World R2 ^.^

TenebriS
May 25, 2012, 08:51 AM
except PSO wasn't based on Monster Hunter because Monster Hunter was made in 2004 which would make it pretty hard to base PSO on it...

But personally... I want an MMO like .hack\\GU's the World R2 ^.^

He said that Monster hunter is based on PSO... o.o

RocSage
May 25, 2012, 08:52 AM
He said that Monster hunter is based on PSO... o.o

No. The person I quoted said that PSO was based on Monster Hunter. Read the quote v.v

Spellbinder
May 25, 2012, 09:35 AM
No. The person I quoted said that PSO was based on Monster Hunter. Read the quote v.v

No, he said that Monster Hunter is based on PSO.

RocSage
May 25, 2012, 10:07 AM
No, he said that Monster Hunter is based on PSO.

I see. I'm wrong. Sorry. That's what happens when you read stuff when you just wake up.

Ryo
May 25, 2012, 10:11 AM
Don't listen to them! They're just PSO fans!

Listen to the Phantasy Star In General fans!

THIS. I've been playing Phantasy Star since my mom bought my older brother the first game back in 1988, when I was six.

I've loved all the PS games (except 3, what garbage) which is what sold me on PSO back in 2000.

Now don't get me wrong, PSO is my FAVORITE of all the Phantasy Star games. I love that franchise, but PSO2 is just -better-.

It takes the heart and soul of PSO and transfers into a much more modern body. Even the feel of the soundtrack feels like an updated PSO.

If you loved PSO, you'll be elated when you play PSO2.

Cypher_9
May 25, 2012, 10:35 AM
Imagine PSO.

If it wasn't boring.

And everything PSU didn't fuck up.

Put it together.

PSO2.

This made me 'LOL'...

Also in word of this, I may not have played the PS series like the true vetarans but, I was introduced to PSO ep 1 and 2 on GC; from there it had captured my heart for it was my first MMO and I liked it. After C.A.R.D Revolution and PSU which Rock had greatly summarized, I still had hopes for a Phantasy Star that was tailored to the peoples wants, to our wants...

Then... PSO 2 came... and I was genuinely proud... *sheds tear*

Omega-z
May 25, 2012, 10:51 AM
Rock Eastwood & Ryo are right you need to look at it as a big picture "The Phantasy Star Franchise" and not a game PSO. Not saying that PSO is not a Gem but it's not everything about Phantasy Star either. It's no different then any other Franchise that has Great,good and bad games though out it's life span. But drawing on a little piece of story drama alone is not Phantasy Star, Because your missing out on all the others that bring's PSO into the light of a much bigger theme. Yes the Story in PSO is great but it's not the end all of everything, In fact some of the classic's are better in there Story & Content of it then PSO.

"If you don't embrace the Light of all Phantasy Star then you will fade away to the darkness of Profound Darkness".

Ryo - Yeah, PSIII is a odd one, but so are many of the others in moot points. Also PSIII is the central Hub that link's directly to almost all the PS titles together and all of them indirectly. Even still it's difference helps to promote the Franchise in a big way, even PSO.

moorebounce
May 25, 2012, 11:02 AM
You have to play it yourself to believe how awesome it is.

This is true because it's so hard to go off of what someone else is saying about it. Your taste in games will most likely be different. If you play PSO2 and rate it according to past PS games putting it mildly you won't be disappointed.

Ryo
May 25, 2012, 11:58 AM
Ryo - Yeah, PSIII is a odd one, but so are many of the others in moot points. Also PSIII is the central Hub that link's directly to almost all the PS titles together and all of them indirectly. Even still it's difference helps to promote the Franchise in a big way, even PSO.

Yeah, PSIII wasn't as fun for me. It pulled itself together near the end, but the game felt like a chore in comparison to the rest of the series, which was genuinely enjoyable.

Flame
May 25, 2012, 01:03 PM
Thinking about it, aren't we being a bit hasty here declaring a winner? I mean we've all only played what was offered in the closed beta. There's still plenty of game left to judge. Still plenty for ST to f**k up.

Enforcer MKV
May 25, 2012, 01:44 PM
"If you don't embrace the Light of all Phantasy Star then you will fade away to the darkness of Profound Darkness".

*Tear* That's freaking beautiful....

NoiseHERO
May 25, 2012, 01:51 PM
Thinking about it, aren't we being a bit hasty here declaring a winner? I mean we've all only played what was offered in the closed beta. There's still plenty of game left to judge. Still plenty for ST to f**k up.

Actually, at least in my opinion, if only 3-5% of the game is this fun and we pretty much have most of the game flow set up, the only thing they really have room to mess up would be the story and customer support.

krux
May 25, 2012, 10:13 PM
PSO2 is on par with PSO maybe. I say this because PSO had way better art and music.
PSO2 cast vs PSO cast....come on

BIG OLAF
May 25, 2012, 10:14 PM
PSO2 is on par with PSO maybe. I say this because PSO had way better art

ITT, Dreamcast polygons beat out a 2012 PC game.

krux
May 25, 2012, 10:18 PM
Art style, not graphics....

NoiseHERO
May 25, 2012, 10:42 PM
90's artstyle...

HIPSTERRRRRRRS

Still not understanding this stuff about PSO's amaazzing artstyle. It looks the same to me. I bet you Akira Toriyama's hands that if they had the technology to make PSO with PSO2's graphics... It would only look slightly different, Other than male casts being fucked up because after AOI they HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE to look like retarded out of place human sized giant robots no matter what now...

Thinking about it...

No you're right I take it back, but to be more exact. I hate allllll of the outfit designs since PSO. Classic phantasy star's 80's sci-fi anime look is more appealing. But in that case I mostly think PSO's art direction is kind of annoying to look at just as much as PSO2... Probably why I prefered just wearing a jacket and some pants in PSU's generation.

edit:I think PSO2's problem so far is that they're trying to make the outfits look abstract and complicated and each different or unique and over detailed. And at least in my opinion it's almost as bad as PSU having too many outfits that looked like they were made ugly on purpose... Flaxo pants? Chinese wide leg'd pants? Seriously? Just make a normal hakama! OH YOU DID but you can only be topless when you wear it... fucking dumb not that it matters since your PS2 ported graphics don't have any physics and baggy pants or capes look stupid... But I digress... Anyway hopefully they make some more tame/casual designs that don't have that ONE part of the outfit, that makes your character look rediculous then nobody wants to wear it. (RAMAR'S STUPID-ASS VEST I CAN'T SEE THE BACK OF YOUR HEAD, DICK!)

krux
May 26, 2012, 03:38 AM
I know i will be able to make a super cool cast once the game is out. I just don't like the stock cast that is/will be on all the art. Then just add more ambient environments and poof better than PSO

Boodendorf
May 26, 2012, 06:52 AM
A bit off topic: So I was thinking, it seems that many people prefered using rifle as ranger during cbt, is the launcher that bad? Because I love launchers.

NoiseHERO
May 26, 2012, 07:06 AM
A bit off topic: So I was thinking, it seems that many people prefered using rifle as ranger during cbt, is the launcher that bad? Because I love launchers.

Launcher is actually considered over powered. D:

moorebounce
May 26, 2012, 07:48 AM
I love PSO/PSO2s art style and yes PSO2s male casts suck hairy bean bags. PSO was getting dated but PSUs art style looked like they hired people right off the street with no previous experience. You can tell its the same guys but after a handful of years they got a little more experience under their belts.

The funny part is Sega is trying to find a way to get people to make more male characters but they turn around and make the male casts look like crap. If they made the male casts look more like the female casts (but less feminine) they would have got their wish.

Omega-z
May 26, 2012, 11:26 AM
I think they should add in a function that allows you to modify the clothes and part you wear. not changing arm/lag/body size but the part's/clothes themselves. I noticed that there where some missing option for cast's in the CBT to Alpha 2. Some of them helped with making your character more human looking. Example would be having a set of pants that you get for AC but aren't color or size you want. You can pay more AC to change color use the color pallet. Then with more AC you can change the size of pant to make to short's, trim them, wider .... etc. Like a tailor.

kushking
May 29, 2012, 10:49 PM
This feedback is great. "The stuff PSU didn't fuck up combined with PSO"

So I assume it's in-depth. This may seem stupid. But I thoroughly enjoyed the casino in PSU. Not a cheap way to be rich necessarily, but I thought the adventuring and how in-depth it went was just great and I love the handling, skill, but most importantly originality of PSO. In my opinion PSO has the most respect for skill and is an acquired game - once you get the hang of it you're hooked. Though it's boring and repetitive. After PSU I know what they're capable of making a higher budget game with more features. I've seen the graphics, and I'm perfectly content with them btw.

Anyone who's played the game know of anything that struck out to them? Casino, Exchange Center, new "game modes" that sort of thing. I've browsed a lot of videos and threads but I wanted to know more. Figured I'd post here.

condiments
May 30, 2012, 12:25 AM
This initial feedback seems promising, but I remember similar excitement when PSU was going to be released. Hell, I played PSU for a while before the excitement surrounding the fact it was a new phantasy star game faded away and the disappointment set in.

In terms of mechanics PSO2 seems far superior to PSU at least from this limited standpoint, but that hardly speaks for a comprehensive portrait of the game. We haven't seen how quality the rest of the levels, builds, difficulty modes, bosses, etc. will factor into the long term enjoyment and longevity of the game. I'm optimistic from what I've seen so far, but we've hardly seen the aggregation of elements that will ultimately decide if it achieves 'classic level' status. I usually don't pass final judgement until I've mulled things over for several days, weeks, or months.

I'll say this, combat looks like an improvement, albeit its a break from the methodical rhythmic pace of PSO, and more along the DMC/Ninja Gaiden "I've just snorted two lines of cocaine, and popped some adderall lets ice this dragon guys". Certainly not a bad thing if you're in the mood for it, but lets hope they give us challenge through difficulty modes. I loved the art direction and music for PSO(big atmosphere buff), and I'm not hugely impressed with I've seen so far in such departments for PSO2, but I'll withhold such opinions until I've played the game for a time. Little too far along the overtly anime 'OMG DESU KAWAII' lines for my taste, but it will hardly prevent from playing the game.

NoiseHERO
May 30, 2012, 12:48 AM
We don't know if there's a Casino yet.

But I wouldn't be surpised if a Casino popped up in a major update, like PSU's Casino.

I'm not sure if PSO actually had a Casino, or if that was a private server mod, since I ever played PSO online before. But if so, I can't see this game not having some. Hopefully they could chuck some "My Room" time extending tickets in there too.

Shirai
May 30, 2012, 05:05 PM
It's like an updated PSO I & II to me.

Original is a classic though!

LatinWolf
Jun 4, 2012, 08:23 PM
The game is very good, I had my doubts going in tho. The gameplay is very good and the character creation is some of the best I've seen. Despite majority of it being in Jp (with some english thanks to crafty patchers) it was still intuitive enough to play and explore. I really like the Skill Tree they got set up, make me think we're gonna have assigned roles in groups possibly, instead of everyone just going in and killing stuff.

Can't wait til end of June to jump back and for good.