PDA

View Full Version : Why are...

NoiseHERO
May 27, 2012, 08:28 AM
Androids called CASTs?

IS IT BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL SECRETLY POWERED BY DREAMCAST-But no seriously...

What's CAST mean? D:

Blizz3112
May 27, 2012, 08:41 AM
Cybernetic & Artificial Soul Technology?

NoiseHERO
May 27, 2012, 08:43 AM
Cool Android Super Toy...

Or... Oh god... CREEPY ANDROID SEX TOY well maybe in PSU.

moorebounce
May 27, 2012, 08:50 AM
Maybe because you had to Die Cast the parts of the robot and they just shortened it to Cast. Plus Cast sounds more menacing than Robot or Android.

CelestialBlade
May 27, 2012, 08:57 AM
Someone thought they were funny in PSO, naming them CASTs when they can't cast anything!

Haha....hah. Shut up :disapprove:

Scotty T
May 27, 2012, 09:54 AM
When they run on a hard surface the footsteps sound like CASTanets!

shiink
May 27, 2012, 10:03 AM
Composite
Artificial
Synaptic
Thought

^lol I found that while googling it. Honestly I don't actually think that CAST is an acronym of sorts. Considering in Japanese it is always written キャスト instead of CAST, I am more apt to think that the capitalization was just a choice the translators made. That is just my two cents.

Lostbob117
May 27, 2012, 10:14 AM
Maybe they named Cast a cast so they don't get sued for copy righted same reason for them naming force a force and not a mage. Lol?

Blizz3112
May 27, 2012, 10:17 AM
Maybe they named Cast a cast so they don't get sued for copy righted same reason for them naming force a force and not a mage. Lol?

There's no copyright on the word mage...

Gardios
May 27, 2012, 10:46 AM
They're called Cast so that if you wanted to know what the weather will be like, you can simply ask a weather FOcast!

RocSage
May 27, 2012, 11:12 AM
There's no copyright on the word mage...

It probably does have to do with copyright though... just not the direction that people are thinking. You can copyright things in groups with specific elements. For example "The Force" and "Jedi" are copyrighted by Lucas even though they are pretty much "Magic" and "Mage." The words used in the PS universe is "Photons" and "Force" and any other creative thing that uses that combination risks a copyright violation.

Angelo
May 27, 2012, 11:43 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_casting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_casting

Zorafim
May 27, 2012, 01:07 PM
PSO started the class system, and used species as part of the name. Humans were mar(l), newmans were ne(wm/wearl), and androids were cas(t/eal). The fleshies were just a mutation of their english names, but cast is much different than android.
And, that's all the information I have.

I attribute it to the fact that PSO names were just weird. Foie and Megid make sense (being mutations of Fire and Armageddon), but grants? Barta? Booma? Demilian? A bunch of strange names. Cast is just another strange name to me.

Macman
May 27, 2012, 01:19 PM
Because they believe in the caste social system with them at the top, hence CAST(e) supremacy.

BIG OLAF
May 27, 2012, 01:21 PM
I always called the "androids" in PSO 'CASTs' anyway, since I played PSU beforehand and was used to the term. I'll always call them "CASTs."

Blizz3112
May 27, 2012, 01:23 PM
PSO started the class system, and used species as part of the name. Humans were mar(l), newmans were ne(wm/wearl), and androids were cas(t/eal). The fleshies were just a mutation of their english names, but cast is much different than android.
And, that's all the information I have.

I attribute it to the fact that PSO names were just weird. Foie and Megid make sense (being mutations of Fire and Armageddon), but grants? Barta? Booma? Demilian? A bunch of strange names. Cast is just another strange name to me.

Personally, I found it very original, since EVERYBODY was using the same names for stuff...

Zorafim
May 27, 2012, 01:37 PM
Oh no, weird names are great. It really adds to both the sci-fi elements, and the immersion effect. It's still weird though.

soulpimpwizzurd
May 27, 2012, 01:38 PM
CREEPY ANDROID SEX TOY well maybe in PSU.

dis seems lejit

LokinModar
May 27, 2012, 01:56 PM

I was gonna say this :)

Misaki Ki
May 27, 2012, 02:00 PM
I always just thought they took the word for it's different meanings. There's several different definitions of the word (a bit like what Angelo linked to) that deal with a model of an original subject (humans) and more usages such as "cast in a role."

Blizz3112
May 27, 2012, 02:01 PM
So, according to you, Misaki Ki, they were "type-casted" ?

catwat
May 27, 2012, 04:26 PM
Casts are awesome thats why! Up to this point i never really thought why they are called like that. It just fits too good, besides calling them androids sounds uber lame to me so gj on that sega.. also arent androids humanoid robots or something like that?
Oh yeah humanoid robots, arent they allready like that whatever... I was thinking about cyborgs or something there.
Anyways i hope there really isnt some goofy reason behind this name and im afraid to check out this topic ._.

Peejay
May 27, 2012, 04:31 PM
Apparently, CASTs are called CASTs in relation to Medical Casts. When people make a fake leg, it's CASTed. So, artificial.

Their name pretty much is as simple as.

That's what my friend said.

Misaki Ki
May 27, 2012, 04:32 PM

That's something else, and you know it! Typecasting would be like how they're always playing the same role in each series, which doesn't have much to do with their name. I honestly just think it's just a simple word choice.

Hmm... Now I have the song Limelight (the opposite of the role thing above) stuck in my head because of this topic.

Gama
May 27, 2012, 04:39 PM
Apparently, CASTs are called CASTs in relation to Medical Casts. When people make a fake leg, it's CASTed. So, artificial.

yeah i always related the word cast to artificial. "something that was made"

Blizz3112
May 27, 2012, 05:26 PM

You might be right about this... I've found this on the internet too:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/291325496/medical_Titanium_alloy_Artificial_Limb_Casting/showimage.html

I spare the other photo's I've seen, because they're really scary sometimes... :-P

Zorafim
May 27, 2012, 05:29 PM

Zing!

moorebounce
May 27, 2012, 11:30 PM

Thanks for backing up my post. lol

Omega-z
May 27, 2012, 11:53 PM
Since, Cast's started in the Classic's and I would want to make there name make sense.

Computerized
Assistant
Systems
Technician

What you guy's think .... we should vote on the Name for them.:):rappy:

Sparzyle
May 28, 2012, 12:25 AM
I was wondering about this some hours ago when I thought about making an Enderman character as a Cast, calling it EnderCast (originality lol), then I saw this thread made by Rock asking about the meaning of casts ._.

I think Peejay got the answer (:

Randomness
May 28, 2012, 12:29 AM
Why are humans mars and marls?

youcantcatchtheblue
May 28, 2012, 12:46 AM
what... I'm pretty sure they ARE called casts because of the DreamCAST. Now I just want a Cast that looks like a Dreamcast.

Why are humans mars and marls?

Men are from MARS and Women are from VENUS... I mean MARLS

blace
May 28, 2012, 01:02 AM
Men are from MARS and Women are from VENUS... I mean MARLS
Nah, I'm pretty sure it's because women normally have MARL standards compared to men.

HUnewearl_Meira
May 28, 2012, 01:21 AM

Actually, "Megid" comes from the city of "Megiddo" which was the site of a number of historical battles, due to being a location of great strategic importance in the ancient world. Your figuring is very close, though-- the English word, "Armageddon" comes from the Yiddish, "Har Megiddo" or "Megiddo Valley". The significance is that Megiddo is the site of the Battle of Armageddon, the legendary battle of Christian eschatology. Phantasy Star 3 uses the full word, "Megiddo" to name the spell, but though it's listed, it can't actually be used in battle. When it does get used as part of the game's ending, it has the effect of completely destroying an entire city. This is also the first appearance of Grantz, which is used by another member of the party to teleport the group to safety.

I don't know where Grantz comes from, but I suspect that it probably has a German etymology. It is also an Anglo-Saxon word, though I'm not sure what it means. Either "Great" or "Giant" (that's Giant, as in, the inordinately tall man-shaped creature of folklore). I come to that conclusion, from the name of an Anglo-Saxon poem by the name of "Des grantz geanz", which I understand means, "Of the Great Giants". My suspicion is that Anglo-Saxon orders nouns and adjectives the same way as modern English, which leads me to believe that "Grantz" probably means "Great". There may be some further context that I'm not aware of, or cannot find. Grantz is also a German surname, so it may be a reference to an historical figure.

The equivalent to "Barta" in Phantasy Star IV was called, "Wat". Wat is normally thought of as a Water elemental spell, but its combination with the Wind technique, Zan, to make the Blizzard combo attack is a clear indication that cold is also associated with it. Barta may be a linguistic mutation of Wat. It'd be nice to find out from a person who's played both games in Japanese, whether or not they are spelled similarly.

I don't know what Booma means. I think they just made it up.

I believe that "Dimenian" is probably rooted in the word, "Dimension". I think the implication is that they come from a different dimension.

As for the primary topic of this thread, I believe that they are called "Casts" as a comparison to the metal working technique. They may not be literally casted, but their construction method is being compared to it, probably referring specifically to the easy duplicability of an object created from a mold. In short, they are manufactured.

Sparzyle
May 28, 2012, 01:26 AM
I think Booma comes from the words Bear and Kuma which means the same in english and japanesse respectively.

NoiseHERO
May 28, 2012, 01:41 AM
I think Booma comes from the words Bear and Kuma which means the same in english and japanesse respectively.

Kuma + Bear = Buma...

Pronounced and translated into Booma...

I GET IT.

As for the casting mold thing... first thing that popped into my head in PSO. Was that CASTs were crippled people in full body suits. D:

SO THEY'D BE CYBOR-

Or not... It says android...

Also Meira has just taught me many things. But I always thought grant was like... granting a wish. Usually higher being "grant" things, HIGHER BEINGS OF LIGHT! PHANTASY STAR PHOTON WORSHIPPING-I dunno.

Enforcer MKV
May 28, 2012, 10:48 AM

That's what I always linked it to. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Zorafim
May 28, 2012, 02:27 PM
words

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/Zorafin/SNES%20junk/P-STAR4006.jpg

I'd love to hear your explanation for Kagajibari.

Shadownami92
May 28, 2012, 04:19 PM
This thread reminds me how much more I enjoyed the naming conventions of most of the stuff in PSO compared to PSU, I enjoy creative strange names, but they are a lot more fun when you can actually pronounce the names.

I mean read these... Adahna Degahna, Alterazgohg, Kagajibari, Kakwane...These things are so strange and basically hard to pronounce I don't even bother trying to call them anything.

Compare that to things like Boomas, Dubchic, Pan Arms, Hildebear

They are simple to read, simple to type and simple to say. I liked that about PSO. Think the only thing I really switched up was calling Canadines in the Mines Canadians.

Xenobia
May 28, 2012, 04:36 PM
Cast comes from the main word "creation", its simply a creation not naturally available, Dreamcast is one of them.

Im not native english speaker but even me knows, that english stuff is very dependable on the words its combined with. So "cast" itself can have near endless meanings and the source would not be known unless trying to find a common equality. The combined equality simply means "creation".

HUnewearl_Meira
May 28, 2012, 05:08 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/Zorafin/SNES%20junk/P-STAR4006.jpg

I'd love to hear your explanation for Kagajibari.

I haven't looked much into the names from PSU. Names from Neudaiz tend to be written in a fashion that is quite friendly to Japanese alphabets. Kagajibari, for example, transliterates quite nicely as カガジバリ. I would expect that the name is probably a recognizable mutation to native Japanese speakers, in much the same way that "De Ragan" is a recognizable mutation from "Dragon".

Gama
May 28, 2012, 06:07 PM
well on psu the hard to say out loud names usualy got replaced by frogs, anyoing fleas, white dragon, stupid lizards, anoying wizards, and so on... i never bothered saying their names.

on pso though i didnt have any issues, the ep 4 last boss honestly i always had some confusion about its name . xD

NoiseHERO
May 28, 2012, 07:54 PM
Cast comes from the main word "creation", its simply a creation not naturally available, Dreamcast is one of them.

Im not native english speaker but even me knows, that english stuff is very dependable on the words its combined with. So "cast" itself can have near endless meanings and the source would not be known unless trying to find a common equality. The combined equality simply means "creation".

Didn't know this...

Created
Artificially
Self
Thinking

!!

Chik'Tikka
May 28, 2012, 09:59 PM
Cast; noun, a. an object made of metal, glass, etc, that has been shaped in a molten state by being poured or pressed into a mould
b. the mould used to shape such an object
verb, to compute (figures or a total) (used without object)
source; http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cast
+^_^+ remember it's a Japanese game and just from the name "Phantasy..." i'd say the devs like playing with words, i only posted what seemed relevant to gynoids and androids+^_^+

NoiseHERO
May 28, 2012, 10:43 PM
Someone rated my precious thread with a 1. D:

AND 22 PEOPLE CALLED ME DUMB!!

C'MON, LURKING HATERS WHO I PROBABLY DON'T EVEN KNOW, SAY IT TO ME FACE!

OR...My E-face! D<

Okay yeah, this thread is dumb.

KunoMochi
May 28, 2012, 10:58 PM
You're wrong. It's 23 people that called you dumb... >>

Gardios
May 28, 2012, 11:29 PM
Well not like there's much choice given the options.

goldwing
May 28, 2012, 11:39 PM
Someone rated my precious thread with a 1. D:

AND 22 PEOPLE CALLED ME DUMB!!

C'MON, LURKING HATERS WHO I PROBABLY DON'T EVEN KNOW, SAY IT TO ME FACE!

OR...My E-face! D<

Okay yeah, this thread is dumb.

It may be dumb on the outside and stuiped on the inside but its the thought that counts right??? I say yay to your post rock. Yay

NoiseHERO
May 28, 2012, 11:41 PM
You're wrong. It's 23 people that called you dumb... >>

Hay shut up snail killer!

NUMBERS CHANGE!

THEY CHANGE!

KunoMochi
May 28, 2012, 11:58 PM
Hay shut up snail killer!

NUMBERS CHANGE!

THEY CHANGE!
Their fault for trying to be Speed Racer on our walkway! x( Makes me skid every time!

Hrith
May 29, 2012, 12:23 AM
On pso though, I didn't have any issues. The ep4 last boss, honestly, I always had some confusion about its name.Well, at least, as a Frenchman, I got those right right away and pronounced them right (the three variants of the EpIV boss are named after famous French wines).

Zorafim
May 29, 2012, 01:11 AM
Cast; noun, a. an object made of metal, glass, etc, that has been shaped in a molten state by being poured or pressed into a mould
b. the mould used to shape such an object

I think we have a winner. This definitely makes the most sense, and it's backed by a dictionary!

Chik'Tikka
May 29, 2012, 10:07 AM
I think we have a winner. This definitely makes the most sense, and it's backed by a dictionary!

ty+^_^+ and as a verb, it can be used to mean calculate, which is something computers and androids do, right??+^_^+

Gama
May 29, 2012, 10:55 AM
i really like this explanation.

Macman
May 29, 2012, 10:58 AM
Well, at least, as a Frenchman, I got those right right away and pronounced them right (the three variants of the EpIV boss are named after famous French wines).
PSO's always had a boner for French. There's like 5 items with French names.

Blizz3112
May 29, 2012, 12:26 PM

No, Peejay was right with his description...

NoiseHERO
May 29, 2012, 12:28 PM
OH YEAH!

I set the poll to close after two days because it wasn't even a serious pol- IT'S BEEN 2 DAYS?? Well at least I've been more productive this week, so can't say I haven't done anything that 2 days... That two days that felt like 4 hours...