PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Open Beta starts June 15th/16th ; 1¥ = 1AC

Pages : [1] 2

FenixStryk
Jun 8, 2012, 03:41 AM
Beta Announcement/Times (JP): http://phantasystar.sega.jp/psportal/notice/20120608/
Pricing Structure (JP): http://phantasystar.sega.jp/psportal/notice/20120608_02/
Bumped Article (EN): http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-pre-open-beta-test-615-through-6162012/

Summary:
Pre-Open Beta is on the 15th (Friday) and 16th (Saturday).

HOURS ARE LIMITED:
US Eastern: 6am ~ 11am
US Pacific: 3am ~ 8am

-Characters will be wiped after the Pre-Open Beta stress test is completed.
-Characters that clear a specific Desert Mission will receive a code for the Bouquet Rifle.

If everything is good, they will then transition immediately into Open Beta.
I'll add more thorough translations if someone provides them; or, Mike can just merge this into a better thread once he makes one.

Now you know.

Vashyron
Jun 8, 2012, 03:56 AM
So in that source, Premium 30 day 1300 AC = 1300 Yen = 16 Dollars? (10 Pounds, 13 Euros?)

...:wacko:

Character 500 AC = 500 Yen = 6 Dollars (4 Pounds, 5 Euros?)

Dragwind
Jun 8, 2012, 04:01 AM
Oh joy, it's not as far as I expected. Now the anticipation grows.

Resanoca
Jun 8, 2012, 04:09 AM
So in that source, Premium 30 day 1300 AC = 1300 Yen = 16 Dollars? (10 Pounds, 13 Euros?)

Character 500 AC = 500 Yen = 6 Dollars (4 Pounds, 5 Euros?)

Gawd. D: And 90 days only saved you 300 yen($3.80).

BIG OLAF
Jun 8, 2012, 04:10 AM
$16 a month for premium? That's more expensive than just about any other MMO on the market. Blame the yen --> dollar exchange rate, I guess. Either way, not sure if I approve...

Also, Pre-OB only lasts a day, lul. Probably won't even run that many missions; just hang out in the lobby and goof off.

Ark22
Jun 8, 2012, 04:24 AM
I am just gonna do the special quest for the banquet rifle.

And just to get the ridiculous prices out the way also just to vent.

Edit: I got more things to fuck.

FUCK ROOMS

AND FUCK INVENTORY SPACE

ALSO FUCK NEW CHARACTERS AND MAG SPACES

AND TO ADD FUCK GACHA

God do you know how much AC I spent on PSO2 just to get the rappy?

With that said I shall return to sleep.

CelestialBlade
Jun 8, 2012, 04:26 AM
Unfortunate how the times worked out, might be able to catch the latter half of the Saturday one. But then again it's only a stress test, and hopefully their servers have improved.

Guess I'm not going with the Premium Set, kinda irritating that it essentially makes it about the same cost PSU was monthly but I guess that's to be expected when they're passing it off as "premium".

ShadowDragon28
Jun 8, 2012, 04:33 AM
Awesome! I put in a news report before I even saw this thread here though....

The Premium Set is a slightly high due to the exchange rate. 1300yen to people in japan is *like* $13, but for us in the US. the dollars value is so devalued that it takes $16.39 to get 1300 yen now! 11 yrs ago I could get any 1000 yen item for $11 roughly. *sigh*

IMO the pricing so far is relatively **fair**. I do wish Premium 30 set was cheaper, like 900 yen. 1300 yen is a little high.

Demon-
Jun 8, 2012, 04:45 AM
I just love how the times are right when I sleep...

Only one day anyways guess I'll just wait for open beta.

Lance813
Jun 8, 2012, 04:57 AM
Great, I get to work an 8 hour shift and come home to play at 6 in the morning. I'm not complaining though. :wacko:

RocSage
Jun 8, 2012, 05:26 AM
Hrmm so when I said...

See I just don't think that works... If Open Beta starts on the 21st it doesn't make sense to say that registration ends the 20th because Open Beta is more or less launch as all data carries over according to what has been said and Pre-Open Beta is allowing everyone in that registers. So "Registration" closing i think would mean for Pre-Open, not Open... and likewise the Rappy doll is for Pre-Open, not Open.

So Pre-Open likely starts around the 14th and ends the 20th then Open starts the 21st.
Other wise Pre-Open is 21st and Open is likely Early July, between the 1st and 10th.

...I was right.

Also it seems that my guessed AC prices are about right too.

So who will listen to me next time? No one? Yeah that's the story of my life :(

Resanoca
Jun 8, 2012, 05:40 AM
Hrmm so when I said...

...I was right.

So who will listen to me next time? No one? Yeah that's the story of my life :(I'll take your cookie if you don't want it. D:

Gardios
Jun 8, 2012, 06:13 AM
Wow, they sure aren't holding back with those prices. Nothing on the payment method, either...

moorebounce
Jun 8, 2012, 06:14 AM
The exchange rate on the dollar sucks a little but other than that I'm cool with the costs. If you were willing to pay for the game then you'll get roughly 4 months of premium services for it (assuming the game would've cost $59.99 plus tax).

On the bright side if things go well on Friday and Saturday they may start the OBT on Sunday. If not maybe a week or two later IMO. I still think Sega should've announced the game at E3 to get more people to help with the stress test.

CelestialBlade
Jun 8, 2012, 07:06 AM
Just kinda hit me that a normal Gacha attempt is $2.52. For a random chance at something I may never use? Yeeeah...that kinda makes my bank account go "gurl you best slow the hell down".

It's cool that they added a Gacha just for clothes/parts, but still.

aslan_blue
Jun 8, 2012, 07:29 AM
In comparison with other MMO games in Japan, I think it's a conscientious price.

Though you may feel it's expensive due to the appreciation of yen.

PSO Addict
Jun 8, 2012, 07:35 AM
Oh goodness, it's almost here. Maybe my brother will party up his graduation weekend with the trek for the flower gun. I don't think I'll be buying anything in yen at this point. Let's see how things go.

LatinWolf
Jun 8, 2012, 08:20 AM
Grrr, gotta wait an entire week! 5 hours to get to the Desert mission, I hope it's not like a lvl30 mission or something, not really into doing all that work just to have it wiped.

Sucks that they're milking the AC thing for all it's worth, but the game is free. Only real pain in the ass is the forced purchase of storage space down the line.

Ce'Nedra
Jun 8, 2012, 08:37 AM
Ah boo for limited times...that's 9am-2pm for me, means if I wake up in time I can only play on saturday if any at all. Here's hoping the Open Beta will be full week like the Closed Beta.

goldwing
Jun 8, 2012, 08:48 AM
Dang idk if i can make thos times. Friday lets see.... Work. Ok saturday..... Maybe work.... This blows. Im hopeing there imediantly is the same as mine. Like the next day type deal

Zyrusticae
Jun 8, 2012, 08:52 AM
So there's a chance (a CHANCE) that the actual open beta starts on Sunday or Monday?

Sweetness.

Don't even care about the pricing, it's so trivial to play the game without any of the perks that the value just doesn't exist for me.

Fujiko
Jun 8, 2012, 08:54 AM
Wow 200AC for the gacha tickets. I blew all 2000 of my AC on them and still didn't get all the items for the rappy suite.

They were 10 AC at the time, so converting to retail prices... I spent 40,000 yen and didn't get everything... 2000 / 10 = 200 tickets, 200 x 200 AC = 40,000 AC or 40,000 yen.

I think I need a loan :D Prices seem fair outside the gacha cards to me, I am only really interested in the expanded inventory cash items anyway. That 50 item carry limit was killing me...

CelestialBlade
Jun 8, 2012, 09:06 AM
Wow 200AC for the gacha tickets. I blew all 2000 of my AC on them and still didn't get all the items for the rappy suite.

They were 10 AC at the time, so converting to retail prices... I spent 40,000 yen and didn't get everything... 2000 / 10 = 200 tickets, 200 x 200 AC = 40,000 AC or 40,000 yen.

I think I need a loan :D Prices seem fair outside the gacha cards to me, I am only really interested in the expanded inventory cash items anyway. That 50 item carry limit was killing me...
Yeah, it's this part exactly that scares me. That's about $504 spent and you didn't even get what you needed. Always hated Gachas.

Ce'Nedra
Jun 8, 2012, 09:07 AM
@Fujiko: Never really gotten a full invetory even when picking everything up I found. But then that's not counting PSE bursts as I rarely got any. New character for less then 10 euro is nice to see though. Makes me more intrested in getting my other chars on at least. Wonder how much you can make...

Titan
Jun 8, 2012, 09:09 AM

The pricing makes sense if you play PSU JP. It cost 10$ a month to access everything, and 2$ for every gatcha spin which is fully optional for clothing, but the clothing is sellable/tradable as long as you have a premium account.

Yes you can spin it a lot and get nothing you want, or as long as you have access to your room, you can buy the clothing you want from player shops with meseta and never spend any real money.

Just recently on PSU they took out all the random materials and made the gatcha 100% clothing. Hopefully PSO2 follows that idea.

Fujiko
Jun 8, 2012, 09:16 AM
Just recently on PSU they took out all the random materials and made the gatcha 100% clothing. Hopefully PSO2 follows that idea.

They did, new Gold gacha card item that cost 500 yen.

Mike
Jun 8, 2012, 09:29 AM
Luckily that bit has been taken out of the game because it's illegal. There'll be some other likely obscure way to get it though.

Peejay
Jun 8, 2012, 09:30 AM
The high prices are definitely going to hurt what I intend to do on the game. On the plus side, I can get four character slots rather quickly.

Crysteon
Jun 8, 2012, 09:34 AM
$16 dlls per month? Uh...I'd rather think twice before doing that because that's kinda pricey for the ones who live in my country. I'd rather stay on F2P paradigm with a few cash items (like inventory extensions or trading allowance tickets)...having a room is just not necessary to me...

Gama
Jun 8, 2012, 09:41 AM
so for london's gmt its from 2pm to 7pm? on friday?

i'm kinda bad calculating time

Rhypht
Jun 8, 2012, 09:45 AM
Grrr, gotta wait an entire week! 5 hours to get to the Desert mission, I hope it's not like a lvl30 mission or something, not really into doing all that work just to have it wiped.

Sucks that they're milking the AC thing for all it's worth, but the game is free. Only real pain in the ass is the forced purchase of storage space down the line.

The official update says that the Desert Mission will have special requirements in the Pre Open Beta, and will be available at level 1. However, in the Open beta and beyond, it will not be available at level 1 anymore. I assume this is for players to be able to test out the new Desert area, and have a fair chance at getting the Bouquet Rifle.

Anyway, I really don't see a problem with the price. It's not a necessary thing, but ~$15 is about the price of other P2P MMOs out there, and you don't really need to pay. The most important things that I can think of to use with AC would be storage space, grinding items, and the ability to trade.

Ezodagrom
Jun 8, 2012, 10:00 AM
About the premium, it's not too bad, since the base game and the content is accessible to free players, I probably will alternate between premium and free, I'll either play 1 month free, 1 month premium, or 2 months free and 1 month premium.
It's not like there's a need to use trading features every single month.

so for london's gmt its from 2pm to 7pm? on friday?

i'm kinda bad calculating time
Nope, it's from 11AM to 4PM.

Randomness
Jun 8, 2012, 10:41 AM
If they offered a budget option that was just trading, I'd jump all over that.

Gama
Jun 8, 2012, 10:48 AM
About the premium, it's not too bad, since the base game and the content is accessible to free players, I probably will alternate between premium and free, I'll either play 1 month free, 1 month premium, or 2 months free and 1 month premium.
It's not like there's a need to use trading features every single month.

Nope, it's from 11AM to 4PM.

"checks calendar"

http://imgsrv.youjoint.com/image/auto/UserFiles/Image/article-images/09-2011/8-year-old-hyundai/DarthVaderNooo.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s just to ad more drama.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8169566/drama.gif

i have classes -.-

"i migth try to play a bit on the break!!!" for some reason all the internet ports are open in my college o.o

moorebounce
Jun 8, 2012, 11:23 AM
That 50 item carry limit was killing me...

Actually it's an 250 item carry limit if you count your free 200 slot bank. Once your character gets full just transfer it to your bank. I forgot about it myself during half the CBT. Another thing that helps is to only pick up things with a good rarity. That way you can sell them and stack your meseta.

NoiseHERO
Jun 8, 2012, 11:32 AM
So there's a chance (a CHANCE) that the actual open beta starts on Sunday or Monday?

Sweetness.

Don't even care about the pricing, it's so trivial to play the game without any of the perks that the value just doesn't exist for me.

No.

"If there are no problems with the pre-OBT we will try to go into OBT within a week"

So it's probably still around the 20th.

Also fuck the economy, RUINING THE FUTURES OF 2X YEAR OLDS SOME MORE! D<

Seriously.

Rath-Kun
Jun 8, 2012, 11:37 AM
Ah fuck nuggets. Ima have to wake up early to get that rifle.

AnnabellaRenee87
Jun 8, 2012, 11:54 AM
Friday, at work
Saturday, the day I sleep in..........
Well poo guess I have to wake up early then.

Strider_M
Jun 8, 2012, 12:28 PM
Cool beans. I'll be able to use my Beta character. Play a new stage and get the bouquet gun.

lol I may be the only one but it looks like I don't have to pay anything to fully enjoy the game!

While I may buy stuff later but if my time PSU is any indication it'll be MONTHS until I buy something.

However I may make my second character to play as soon as I can.... Oh well.

Resanoca
Jun 8, 2012, 12:35 PM
Extra character slots are 500 yen. What. The. Fuck. >>

Zorafim
Jun 8, 2012, 12:36 PM
So, the open beta is available... but only at times when I should be sleeping...

That's a good way to keep gaijins off your server, I have to admit.

Crysteon
Jun 8, 2012, 12:39 PM
It's a good measure or filter to get rid of some baka gaijins, but we know most of people here will be playing with or without school/work/stuff on the way,

Mitz
Jun 8, 2012, 12:40 PM
Fail to see what the Japanese slang has to do with anything. :/

CelestialBlade
Jun 8, 2012, 12:44 PM
Unfortunately Japan's peak hours end up being crappy for us :lol: I'm working the whole time Friday and usually don't wake up Saturday until 9 or 10, so it's not worth only being able to play an hour or so when the Open Beta is right around the corner.

BIG OLAF
Jun 8, 2012, 12:46 PM
I figure I'm just not going to sleep, because if I do, I usually wake up after 11AM anyway, so I'd miss the whole thing.

Even though I wish I could say "I can't, I have work", but hey.

Neith
Jun 8, 2012, 12:50 PM
£4.10 for one go at the 'gold' scratch, and £10+ a month for premium, plus bank charges on top of that?

I expected maybe £8 or so for premium but £10.65 seems a bit steep. (Especially considering FFXIV 2.0 will be £6.89 a month).

Honestly don't know how Sega are justifying those kind of costs, in particular the scratch costs...

I said it months ago but I would have rathered pay for the game and then have a sub fee each month (like PSO/PSU was), because microtransactions will end up costng you more than you realise. I can handle the £10 a month premium, but I feel that the cosmetic changes and scratch machines are ridiculously priced.

Strider_M
Jun 8, 2012, 12:58 PM
I hope this pre-open beta test works. lol It's kinda funny calling it that. Might as well call it the Server Stress Test.

I see that the max lvl has been upped to Lvl 30. If anyone makes it to max lvl in 10 hours deserves like.... some free Arks Cash. lol

Omega-z
Jun 8, 2012, 01:01 PM
one thing I notice was the " Premium Block" part. Does that mean that we now have to pay to switch block's so we can play with other's. And if we don't were stuck there or log-off and try again to hope to see if we get in the right block with friend's?

Zaix
Jun 8, 2012, 01:05 PM
one thing I notice was the " Premium Block" part. Does that mean that we now have to pay to switch block's so we can play with other's. And if we don't were stuck there or log-off and try again to hope to see if we get in the right block with friend's?

The premium block is merely an extra block for premium members. I recall some benefit to being there but I don't remember what. Its completely optional to go there like any other block.

Omega-z
Jun 8, 2012, 01:18 PM
Ah that's right I remember hearing that, I'm a goof. Thank you Zaix for reminding me.:)

Gama
Jun 8, 2012, 01:25 PM
its like a vip room. so all the arks cash players can ignore the free course players. or is it a safe house for a freecourse zombie atack?

hmmm.

dooby613
Jun 8, 2012, 01:43 PM
Hrmm so when I said...

...I was right.

So who will listen to me next time? No one? Yeah that's the story of my life :(

I know I won't :P

Valkyrie Lovrina
Jun 8, 2012, 01:57 PM
Hopefully I can attend. that rifle intrigues me. I'm a bit mixed about the extra character slot price. I was hoping it would be the same price as a Mann co. Key. I already settled on the one character I would use for now though anyway. my only hope is that all accounts were reset from the previous Beta test so I can change my in game ID.

also, $16 USD for premium? nearly choked on my soda looking at that. its a good thing I'm not planning on Premium.

TalezMB
Jun 8, 2012, 02:00 PM
Extra character slots are 500 yen. What. The. Fuck. >>

You can change from HU to RA to FO as often as you like.

Gama
Jun 8, 2012, 02:10 PM
werent there going to be subclasses?

like fo+hunter or fo+ranger or fo+fo lol

ClothoBuer
Jun 8, 2012, 02:36 PM
And for once the stars align for me, those times fall perfectly in place with my work schedule. As for the rates, those gacha prices are out of control, but the premium is about where I anticipated, essentially a standard P2P monthly fee. Don't know why people are getting their panties in a bunch over it though, you honestly weren't expecting it to be within the $5 range, were you?

Ryudo
Jun 8, 2012, 02:58 PM
those prices are absolutely scandalous, premium alone is in line with or above most sub fees, charging such astronomical prices for the gacha on top of that and more for character slots, inventory increases etc is beyond reason

FOODFOOD
Jun 8, 2012, 03:04 PM
...It's really not that bad. The core gameplay is free, which is what I care about. I'll buy ark cash and pay extra when I need it, like an extra character slot, but this is way better than I thought. Most of the things you have to pay for (outside of consumables) is aesthetic.

Macman
Jun 8, 2012, 03:05 PM
You'd think Sega would realize by now that it's better to have 500,000 people buy an $8 monthly fee, than to have only 100,000 buy a $16 monthly fee.

Those rates are going to deter a lot of people.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 8, 2012, 03:42 PM
You'd think Sega would realize by now that it's better to have 500,000 people buy an $8 monthly fee, than to have only 100,000 buy a $16 monthly fee.

Those rates are going to deter a lot of people.

hmm??? 500,000 paying to play for $8, or 5,000,000 playing for free with 40% eventually buying something and 25% buying things religiously every month that's what? 200K people paying every premium with another 300K forking over at least something once?+^_^+ this is best case scenario of course, but if 2d sidescroller Maplestory can do it, why not PSO2?+^_^+

Ezodagrom
Jun 8, 2012, 03:47 PM
those prices are absolutely scandalous, premium alone is in line with or above most sub fees, charging such astronomical prices for the gacha on top of that and more for character slots, inventory increases etc is beyond reason
Except that unlike subscription games, you don't have to pay the premium price every month, you can alternate between free and premium, for example play 1 or 2 months for free and then 1 month premium.
Also, I could be wrong, but I don't think there's inventory expansion, just storage expansion, which is part of the premium package.

FOODFOOD
Jun 8, 2012, 03:51 PM
hmm??? 500,000 paying to play for $8, or 5,000,000 playing for free with 40% eventually buying something and 25% buying things religiously every month that's what? 200K people paying every premium with another 300K forking over at least something once?+^_^+ this is best case scenario of course, but if 2d sidescroller Maplestory can do it, why not PSO2?+^_^+

Exactly. Look at League of Legends too... They don't need a Premium monthly payment - they're making so much money on OTO skin sales!

While I do think it's a little expensive for what you get, if you don't like it, don't get it. You can still play the game just fine without the Premium.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 8, 2012, 03:54 PM
Exactly. Look at League of Legends too... They don't need a Premium monthly payment - they're making so much money on OTO skin sales!

While I do think it's a little expensive for what you get, if you don't like it, don't get it. You can still play the game just fine without the Premium.

yep+^_^+ and if too few people buy things, for an F2P game, generally lowering the price by half will quadruple sales giving like a 50% profit+^_^+ want premium to be cheaper? tell all the jap players not to buy it!!!+^_^+

Macman
Jun 8, 2012, 03:55 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think there's inventory expansion, just storage expansion, which is part of the premium package.
You are. I bought a bunch of inventory expansions during CBT to double the amount of items I could hold.

Siatome
Jun 8, 2012, 03:56 PM
EXCIIITTEEEDDD!!!!

Daang tho premium... I just want to trade.. is that so much to ask?
Can I buy items from player shops without a premium account? or can we old school Drop trade? lol "Ok ready? drop!... what?! this isn't soul eater! this is a frost brand!! DAARN YOOU T3T" ahhh memories..

NoiseHERO
Jun 8, 2012, 04:29 PM
Instead of paying like 10-15 bucks a month

YOU CAN PAY 17 BUCKS A MONTH AND SPEND ANOTHER 10-20 BUCKS ON EXTRAS AND ARKZ SCRATCH!

YEAH!!!

GET MONEY SEGA!!

FAWKIN' SEGAAAAAAAA!!! DAMN ECONOMY

/rage pops a blood vessel then turns super saiyan like jaylen

But seriously, I always prefered P2P, but I felt "okay whatever, I'm indifferent about F2P" But now these prices bug me. a lot. Even with that optimistic "you were gonna buy the game anyway" bull in mind.

Ark22
Jun 8, 2012, 04:34 PM
Instead of paying like 10-15 bucks a month

YOU CAN PAY 17 BUCKS A MONTH AND SPEND ANOTHER 10-20 BUCKS ON EXTRAS AND ARKZ SCRATCH!

YEAH!!!

GET MONEY SEGA!!

FAWKIN' SEGAAAAAAAA!!! DAMN ECONOMY

/rage pops a blood vessel then turns super saiyan like jaylen

But seriously, I always prefered P2P, but I felt "okay whatever, I'm indifferent about F2P" But now these prices bug me. a lot. Even with that optimistic "you were gonna buy the game anyway" bull in mind.

It depends on how much the 90 days one cost. If I save any money I will just do that and work my money back up rather than 16 bucks a month.

Also you can spend like 8 bucks on one of those items (Room, trading, or storage.)

Drifting Fable
Jun 8, 2012, 04:36 PM
Yep I'll be turning my cheapskate powers to the max when I play this game.

At least I can shop from other people's shops without having to pay a cent.

sugarFO
Jun 8, 2012, 04:40 PM
We have to pay to play the pre open beta and open beta?

Gardios
Jun 8, 2012, 04:40 PM
90 day premium is 3600 Yen... You save 300 Yen with which you can buy one AC scratch. Hooray!

Blackheart521
Jun 8, 2012, 04:44 PM

nope, completely free and we get free premium during both, when open beta comes I plan to fill my premium bank full of items so I'll have plenty of room when I don't have it on the full release... loophole FTW ^^

Drifting Fable

If you want rooms, your own player shop, storage space, and trading; yes.

Otherwise the game is free to play.

^ EDIT Oh free premium access? News to me :D

Ark22
90 day premium is 3600 Yen... You save 300 Yen with which you can buy one AC scratch. Hooray!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT I can go to Mcdonalds once a month and get a Mcdouble with a medium drink. I am not complaining B).

They will most likely have special deals like

"WHY U NO PREMIUM? IMPPOOOSSSIIBBRRRUUU!!! It's time for!!!

*Dramatic voice*

Emergency: Code SAVE!

*End dramatic voice*

U WILL SAVE 10 DOLLA ON 90 DAY PERIOD!

SO GO PLAY SOME PSO ZUUUUUUUU!!!!!!"

=) Yeah sounds about right.

sugarFO
Jun 8, 2012, 04:45 PM
nope, completely free and we get free premium during both, when open beta comes I plan to fill my premium bank full of items so I'll have plenty of room when I don't have it on the full release... loophole FTW ^^

oh wow how can i do that too? can you help me with that? this will be my first beta for pso2

FenixStryk
Jun 8, 2012, 04:47 PM
The pricing is expensive, and the exchange rate doesn't help, but playing for free is still cheaper than if the game went B2P or P2P. You don't need extra character slots, or My Room, or extra skill trees, or experience boosts, or anything in the Gachapon.

At most, you'll want inventory expansions, a skill tree reset if you mess up on a certain class, and access to trading for a week/month somewhere down the line once you've farmed up a pile of rare Max Level gear to sell off. It might sound pricey at first, but a lifelong subscription for 30 bucks is still one hell of a deal.

Playing on a budget is becoming easier and easier as more games transition to Free-to-Play. In a way, F2P is sponsoring good players by allowing them to play games they'd otherwise never touch. Sure, it comes at a cost to those with deep pockets that insist they must have everything, but the reality is that F2P gets more people to play the game.

...but yeah, the prices suck and I'm not buying any of it.

Blackheart521
Jun 8, 2012, 04:51 PM
oh wow how can i do that too? can you help me with that? this will be my first beta for pso2

well we'll get automatic premium status during the pre-open and open beta so therefore we'll have a premium bank to store stuff in... any items we put into the premium bank after our "premium" runs out will still be able to be taken out but if you take them out you can't put them back into premium storage and you'll have to put it into your free storage if you want to store it again... but it will still be good for storing rares for your collection when you're playing OB that you don't plan to use anymore and will save space in your free storage for stuff you plan on using. I'm a cheap guy but it works lol ^^

goldwing
Jun 8, 2012, 04:57 PM
well we'll get automatic premium status during the pre-open and open beta so therefore we'll have a premium bank to store stuff in... any items we put into the premium bank after our "premium" runs out will still be able to be taken out but if you take them out you can't put them back into premium storage and you'll have to put it into your free storage if you want to store it again... but it will still be good for storing rares for your collection when you're playing OB that you don't plan to use anymore and will save space in your free storage for stuff you plan on using. I'm a cheap guy but it works lol ^^

Are u talking about after pre? Cause pre is being wiped if i am correct.

Blackheart521
Jun 8, 2012, 05:00 PM
Are u talking about after pre? Cause pre is being wiped if i am correct.

nah, I'm saying i'll be storing in Open beta cuz we'll have free premium in that too... then I'll have a bunch of items in my premium storage from OB for when the full game releases

supersonix9
Jun 8, 2012, 05:29 PM
It might sound pricey at first, but a lifelong subscription for 30 bucks is still one hell of a deal.

Source on this?

Rhedrimond
Jun 8, 2012, 05:32 PM
I really don't see what the fuss is about. As some folks have already mentioned, most P2P games ask you to buy-in at $60 dollars and then pay around $15 a month. $16 a month when the base game is free isn't bad at all.

As for gachas, their pricing is the norm, not the expensive exception. Even in games that are localized in the North American market, gacha rolls are around the same price. Off the top of my head, SD Gundam Capsule Fighter, Dungeon Fighter Online (back in the gacha days), and Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINE all have gacha rolls for about $2.50 a pop. MegaTen often features gachas that are five dollars a roll. Even some Western games, like Team Fortress 2, have a gacha-like system for 2.50.

And yes, they all have horrid prize rates.

Between a near-standard subscription fee (the US dollar is low, as stated) and a typical gacha pricing scheme, I hardly see how SEGA is doing anything absurd or pricing themselves out of the market.

Totally excited about the betas and that goofy rifle, though! :D

RocSage
Jun 8, 2012, 05:36 PM
While I understand the $16 price being more of a happen stance thing, but I don't like it. $15 to $16 isn't a big difference but that's one more reason that I don't want to spend on anything until I get news from SoA... Especially since it is well know that $15 is too much as it is now adays and companies only get away with it due to that being the standard for a long time.

You could look at the $16 fee as a $1 import tax or something like that because my bet would be that if there is a NA release it will be $15.

Halcyote
Jun 8, 2012, 05:46 PM
Source on this?

no source; he's lying.

Kazzi
Jun 8, 2012, 05:47 PM
Considering it's a stress test on the servers, I seriously wonder if anyone will be able to clear the desert mission :|a I mean, the disconnecting and lag was so awful during the early closed beta, and now they're purposely trying to force it for this test.

Angelo
Jun 8, 2012, 05:50 PM
Have no problem with this as long as AC scratchers aren't just recolors of the default outfits.

Ark22
Jun 8, 2012, 05:57 PM
youtube.com/watch?v=ns3dTI2Hpgk&feature=g-u-u

If Sega marketed this game like this commercial in America, they would be rich, Dreamcast would of been the better PS2 and PSO2 would be a sure shot in America.

But as for the $30 dollar lifelong sub, don't you mean the 90 day plan?

DayDreamer
Jun 8, 2012, 06:00 PM
Now you know.

And knowings half the battle :D

Thank you for the info Fenix, made my weekend<3
Even though im going to waste 95% of the time just talking to people in the lobby

aslan_blue
Jun 8, 2012, 06:02 PM
Considering it's a stress test on the servers, I seriously wonder if anyone will be able to clear the desert mission :|a I mean, the disconnecting and lag was so awful during the early closed beta, and now they're purposely trying to force it for this test.

In the end of CβT, those problems were almost resolved.

So, I assume that POβ would be held smoothly.

Cyrusnagisa
Jun 8, 2012, 06:16 PM
mmmm yeah I to think I will wait and see if this pops up in the US.... I hope that it's download nature and expandability over the older games keeps it online longer then PSU and the others.....

Vashyron
Jun 8, 2012, 06:33 PM
nah, I'm saying i'll be storing in Open beta cuz we'll have free premium in that too...

No you won't. You will only get Free Room Access and the Ability to Sell items on the player shop.

Going by this anyway. (http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-pre-open-beta-test-615-through-6162012/)

FenixStryk
Jun 8, 2012, 07:09 PM
Source on this?no source; he's lying.I see context is lost on the average PSO-W user...

A few inventory expansions, one skill tree reset, and one month of trading will cost roughly 30 USD, maybe less. Realistically, these are the only items that a player needs to get the most out of PSO2, hence why I said it is effectively "a lifetime subscription for 30 bucks".

LokinModar
Jun 8, 2012, 07:31 PM
i'll probably miss the pre-open beta

moorebounce
Jun 8, 2012, 10:40 PM
At current rates this is the yen to USD conversion

Premium Set:
30 Days = $16.39
60 Days = $31.52
90 Days = $45.38

My Room, My Shop, and Storage expansions could be purchased separately for $8.82

AC Scratch: $2.52
AC Scratch Gold: $6.30

Other Cash Items:
Additional Characters, Aesthetics Salon: $6.30
“System Type” Items: $3.78
Consumption Items: $1.89

goldwing
Jun 8, 2012, 10:52 PM
At current rates this is the yen to USD conversion

Premium Set:
30 Days = $16.39
60 Days = $31.52
90 Days = $45.38

My Room, My Shop, and Storage expansions could be purchased separately for $8.82

AC Scratch: $2.52
AC Scratch Gold: $6.30

Other Cash Items:
Additional Characters, Aesthetics Salon: $6.30
“System Type” Items: $3.78
Consumption Items: $1.89

Ok hands down im getting room and exp boosters. Yea thats about it on my end

~Inu~
Jun 8, 2012, 11:00 PM
Those times are really going to mess my sleep schedule.
Now i'm hoping the POBT doesn't go over so well to get an extra day or two.

Zyrusticae
Jun 8, 2012, 11:15 PM
Man, some whiny buggers in here. If you can't afford those prices, how in the world did you ever manage $60 a pop on retail games, let alone get a PC capable of playing the game at decent framerates?

And it's not like any of the features in the premium set are absolutely need cannot live without-level... which only makes the whining seem all the more absurd.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 8, 2012, 11:17 PM
will they take PayPal??+^_^+ no one seems willing or unable to answer this!!! it's very important i know as soon as possible!!!!

NoiseHERO
Jun 8, 2012, 11:18 PM
I don't blame people being anxious to play...

But 5 hours a day for two days and the servers going to get wiped anyway.. It's more like a small tease, then we're booted again. Of course in general it is only for stress testing.

All I'm saying is, there's not much to miss unless you REALLY want that bouqet rifle, which is the only reason I'm gonna take this test "seriously" enough, at least to get it. @_@

Powder Keg
Jun 8, 2012, 11:22 PM
This sucks, I'm not going to work my schedule around for that, lol. Those are some retarded windows, unless I'm not seeing why they'd be doing it this way.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 8, 2012, 11:28 PM
This sucks, I'm not going to work my schedule around for that, lol. Those are some retarded windows, unless I'm not seeing why they'd be doing it this way.

yes, 8:00 pm japan time seems a little late+^_^+
EDIT: want!!+^_^+ (had no idea M$ was still manufacturing those wireless adapters)
[spoiler-box]http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/xbox-360.jpg[/spoiler-box]

NoiseHERO
Jun 8, 2012, 11:39 PM
Man, some whiny buggers in here. If you can't afford those prices, how in the world did you ever manage $60 a pop on retail games, let alone get a PC capable of playing the game at decent framerates?

And it's not like any of the features in the premium set are absolutely need cannot live without-level... which only makes the whining seem all the more absurd.

I still can't fully put together why it pisses me off that I have to pay 8-17 dollars just for a room, FOR A MONTH, because I actually WANT the room, but I don't think it should cost money, let alone THAT MUCH.

So I'll just say, shut up.

FenixStryk
Jun 8, 2012, 11:48 PM
There's not much to miss unless you REALLY want that bouqet rifle, which is the only reason I'm gonna take this test "seriously" enough, at least to get it. @_@That Bouquet Rifle is the only way for HU/FO to get access to RA dash. RA dash sucks, but the novelty of a FO having access to all three dashes far outweighs that.

I [will] have every dash.

Also, if you think Rooms aren't worth 8 bucks (spoiler: they're not), don't buy it. You're right, you shouldn't have to pay that much... so... don't.

Tangent:
I've been hopping between F2P games for years and it's really absurd how weak the average cash user's willpower is when it comes to buying things they know are more expensive than they are worth. They know it's a ripoff... and they buy it anyway! :wacko:

? ? ?

NoiseHERO
Jun 8, 2012, 11:58 PM
Also, if you think Rooms aren't worth 8 bucks (spoiler: they're not), don't buy it. You're right, you shouldn't have to pay that much... so... don't.

But I WANT the rooms, which is why it irks the shit out of me.

So I lose either way.

Zyrusticae
Jun 9, 2012, 12:05 AM
I still can't fully put together why it pisses me off that I have to pay 8-17 dollars just for a room, FOR A MONTH, because I actually WANT the room, but I don't think it should cost money, let alone THAT MUCH.

This just makes me laugh.

1: Perhaps you value money a little too much.

2: If you live in such modest means that such quantities of cash are too much for you to bear (probably why you have to deal with #1), you probably have bigger ticks to deal with.

3: Those of us who do live on the lower end of the social ladder tend to realize pretty quickly that there are things we cannot live without, and things that we must let go of. Indeed, it goes without question that a freakin' luxury item in a freakin' video game is VERY low on the list of "needs" (in fact, it's not even on there!)... hence, you get absolutely no sympathy points for your plight of wanting it SO BADLY yet being unwilling to pay even such modest amounts for it.

4: If you just don't pay for any of your games... congratulations! Not a single bloody game developer on the face of Planet Earth gives two wits about your existence - if anything, they hate your guts. You contribute nothing, you gain nothing.

5. Game development costs continue to rise, yet game prices remain stagnant despite inflation. It should come as no surprise to anybody that they resort to cash shop items to make up for the loss in revenue. Realistically, games should cost $100 or more a pop to make up for the combined effect of inflation and increase development costs... but this thread, and others like it, are examples of why this simply isn't happening.

Ryo
Jun 9, 2012, 12:12 AM
EDIT: want!!+^_^+ (had no idea M$ was still manufacturing those wireless adapters)
[spoiler-box]http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/xbox-360.jpg[/spoiler-box]

You have to buy a PC to get that controller, sadly.

NoiseHERO
Jun 9, 2012, 12:16 AM

2: If you live in such modest means that such quantities of cash are too much for you to bear (probably why you have to deal with #1), you probably have bigger ticks to deal with.

3: Those of us who do live on the lower end of the social ladder tend to realize pretty quickly that there are things we cannot live without, and things that we must let go of. Indeed, it goes without question that a freakin' luxury item in a freakin' video game is VERY low on the list of "needs" (in fact, it's not even on there!)... hence, you get absolutely no sympathy points for your plight of wanting it SO BADLY yet being unwilling to pay even such modest amounts for it.

4: If you just don't pay for any of your games... congratulations! Not a single bloody game developer on the face of Planet Earth gives two wits about your existence - if anything, they hate your guts. You contribute nothing, you gain nothing.

5. Game development costs continue to rise, yet game prices remain stagnant despite inflation. It should come as no surprise to anybody that they resort to cash shop items to make up for the loss in revenue. Realistically, games should cost $100 or more a pop to make up for the combined effect of inflation and increase development costs... but this thread, and others like it, are examples of why this simply isn't happening.

Nah fenix helped me realized why it pissed me off so much in my above post. Thanks for all the time you put into this post though. I COULD was 4 minutes of list 5 reasons the could be YOUR possible flaws on why you think it's so wrong that this bugs me. But I'm not Zyru. Also it'd only take me 20 seconds because of my level of swag.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 9, 2012, 12:25 AM

as someone who literally has $50 in the bank with "maybe" $98 more coming Tuesday for unemployment, i have to agree with this, the minute it becomes unfeasible, the Internet is the first thing that's gonna go+^_^+ already gave up cable TV, i CAN live without internet+^_^+ everyone cross your fingers for me landing an interview this week!!!

Vashyron
Jun 9, 2012, 12:26 AM

Yet it's more people "whining" about the high prices than not being able to afford them.

It's better for 5 People paying $8 than 1 paying $16.

r00tabaga
Jun 9, 2012, 12:33 AM
about what I expected....cant wait :)

Sayuri Stardust
Jun 9, 2012, 01:18 AM
That Bouquet Rifle is the only way for HU/FO to get access to RA dash. RA dash sucks, but the novelty of a FO having access to all three dashes far outweighs that.

I [will] have every dash.

Tangent:
I've been hopping between F2P games for years and it's really absurd how weak the average cash user's willpower is when it comes to buying things they know are more expensive than they are worth. They know it's a ripoff... and they buy it anyway! :wacko:

? ? ?

Sorry i am a bit late to the PSO2 party. Can you tell me about these dashes?

Vashyron
Jun 9, 2012, 01:30 AM
Pretty sure he means the dodges each class can do.

Also I don't think the usefulness of the rifle will stop there, it sounds like a great thing to use to regain PP quickly as a force instead of using a Gunslash.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 9, 2012, 01:31 AM
ever play Gears of War? with a controller you can press a button that causes you to dash forward, or if your pressing left analog stick in a specific direction, dash in the direction, Rangers roll, Fighters dash, Forces teleport+^_^+ well, it depends on the type of weapon equipped at the time+^_^+

FenixStryk
Jun 9, 2012, 01:38 AM
Sorry, I am a bit late to the PSO2 party. Can you tell me about these dashes?It's a bit off-topic, but sure.

Each class has a signature dash that is also tied to specific weapons.
-Hunter's dash is quick and covers a medium distance, with a small post-dash delay. It's tied to all melee weapons, including Gunslashes and empty fists.
-Ranger's dash is quick and covers a long distance, but has a very long post-dash delay. This dash is tied to all ranged weapons, including the Bouquet Rifle.
-Force's dash is laboriously slow, but in return has a very long invulnerability duration, and a moderate post-dash delay. FO's dash is tied to all technique-based weapons.

If you want to get into animation cancels, Hunter's dash can also be used to run a little faster, and Force's air dash doesn't have the post-dash delay that the ground one does... but that's another topic.

Since dashes are locked to weapons, it leads to an interesting scenario: while everyone can use a Gunslash to dash like a Hunter, the weapons that allow you to use RA/FO-style dashes are locked to their class... minus one caveat: the Bouquet Rifle, which should have RA's dash, can be used by every class.

In other words, since FO is the only class with access to a Talis, a Gunslash and the Bouquet Rifle, they are the only class that has access to all three dashes.

...It's a pretty trivial pursuit, considering FO dash is the best one for PvE as it is, but... well, it's something to think about, right?

Peejay
Jun 9, 2012, 01:41 AM
I INTEND TO BE ONE OF THE ONLY ONES TO WAKE UP FOR THAT RIFLE. IT WILL BE MINE.

I AM NOW SHIFTING LIKE A ROCK-EASTWOOD STYLED MOTHERLOVER.

Sayuri Stardust
Jun 9, 2012, 01:47 AM
Well that answer's my quest pretty well since i really just wanted to learn about the different dashes.

SELENNA
Jun 9, 2012, 02:39 AM
Not giving them a dime. I'm sorry but this is not how PSO2 should have been marketed. Microtransctions are killing the industry, not helping it. The rising costs are only due to one thing ; graphics. And I blame Call of Duty fans for that, or even Uncharted ones. These games have exceptional visuals and it seems this is all what counts nowadays. So the Japanese devs are all struggling because that wasn't a priority for them. Their philosophy? Content > appearance. But it seems nobody wants games that have actual content anymore. Most games I've played recently could be finished in a rental and if I wanted to get more, DLCs were everywhere. Content that should have been on the disk in the first place, and developers always try to defend this practice while most of us gamers agree it's bad practice.

PSO2 suffers from the fact its developers wanted to create a game with nice graphics rather than focus on content. Seriously the game just lacks content and you WILL be bored after a week. If it's anything like the closed beta, you'll end up grinding the same missions over and over just to complete boring client orders or complete an urgent mission. Unfortunately the game feels a lot more like PSU to me and it sucks. Gacha system and the like are poison to the industry, I hope you'll enjoy spending dozens of dollars to get worthless virtual items.

You know the game will tank outside Japan, in fact I'd go as far as to say SEGA has no faith in the game since they did not bother showing it at the world's largest videogames event, E3. What a bunch of fools. I still can't wrap my head around the fact PSO EP 1 & II is a game with better content than what I'had the chance to play a couple of weeks ago. It's like they learned nothing in the past decade. There will be FOUR areas only then we'll have to wait weeks if not months for other zones, maybe even buy an expansion pack using gacha who knows. Would have been 10x better to have the levels end up as in PSO with locked rooms now all you have to do is rush and maybe kill a few monsters doing so.

I just feel the game is nowhere near its potential, but this is how gaming is in 2012. Games try too much to be the next Crysis in terms of graphics and forget about stuff that really matters, like the story, the number of items at your disposal, the CONTENT. F2P was an error and still is. That's why we will get an inferior product, why couldn't this be at least like the PSP Infinite?

Macman
Jun 9, 2012, 04:15 AM
Honestly the game's not THAT advanced in terms of graphics.

You know why I'm going to enjoy this game? It's fun to control. PS games have always lacked precision gameplay and felt a little clunky. I feel they may have gotten it down this time. They just need to take advantage of this and make really interesting terrain that both you and the monsters can use to their benefit.

moorebounce
Jun 9, 2012, 04:46 AM
will they take PayPal??+^_^+ no one seems willing or unable to answer this!!! it's very important i know as soon as possible!!!!

I'm sure they'll take credit card. They took it for PSU on the 360.

Well seeing how M$ is trying to get people to only buy the wireless version of their controller now they need to be selling those.

You have to buy a PC to get that controller, sadly.

You don't have to buy a PC to get it but you do need one to use it.

All I really want is the trade option but they buried it in the premium set. You can get My Room, My Shop and Premium Storage separately but not the trade option. I'll see how long I can go w/o needing the trade option but being on a team/clan it will be kinda hard. The biggest benefit of being on a team/clan is sharing your rare weapons.

GreenArcher
Jun 9, 2012, 05:38 AM
The amount of rage in this thread about having to pay $2 more a month than expected for premium is hilarious.

moorebounce
Jun 9, 2012, 05:47 AM
The amount of rage in this thread about having to pay $2 more a month than expected for premium is hilarious.

The prices aren't bothering me. Whats bothering me is the one thing I want is buried in the premium set. If we could purchase the trade feature separately I would be very happy.

ClothoBuer
Jun 9, 2012, 05:49 AM
Not giving them a dime. I'm sorry but this is not how PSO2 should have been marketed. Microtransctions are killing the industry, not helping it. The rising costs are only due to one thing ; graphics. And I blame Call of Duty fans for that, or even Uncharted ones. These games have exceptional visuals and it seems this is all what counts nowadays. So the Japanese devs are all struggling because that wasn't a priority for them. Their philosophy? Content > appearance. But it seems nobody wants games that have actual content anymore. Most games I've played recently could be finished in a rental and if I wanted to get more, DLCs were everywhere. Content that should have been on the disk in the first place, and developers always try to defend this practice while most of us gamers agree it's bad practice.

PSO2 suffers from the fact its developers wanted to create a game with nice graphics rather than focus on content. Seriously the game just lacks content and you WILL be bored after a week. If it's anything like the closed beta, you'll end up grinding the same missions over and over just to complete boring client orders or complete an urgent mission. Unfortunately the game feels a lot more like PSU to me and it sucks. Gacha system and the like are poison to the industry, I hope you'll enjoy spending dozens of dollars to get worthless virtual items.

You know the game will tank outside Japan, in fact I'd go as far as to say SEGA has no faith in the game since they did not bother showing it at the world's largest videogames event, E3. What a bunch of fools. I still can't wrap my head around the fact PSO EP 1 & II is a game with better content than what I'had the chance to play a couple of weeks ago. It's like they learned nothing in the past decade. There will be FOUR areas only then we'll have to wait weeks if not months for other zones, maybe even buy an expansion pack using gacha who knows. Would have been 10x better to have the levels end up as in PSO with locked rooms now all you have to do is rush and maybe kill a few monsters doing so.

I just feel the game is nowhere near its potential, but this is how gaming is in 2012. Games try too much to be the next Crysis in terms of graphics and forget about stuff that really matters, like the story, the number of items at your disposal, the CONTENT. F2P was an error and still is. That's why we will get an inferior product, why couldn't this be at least like the PSP Infinite?

If you've ever pirated anything, then you're just as much to blame for the rise of F2P. Don't like it? Then don't play, simple as that. PSO2 is far more complete than any of the recent MMOs I've played. WoW has gone carebear, D3 has no depth to it, TOR is WoW clone with a little more fancy features, and Rift was an aberration. I give Sega credit, instead of simplifying all the character traits and abilities like Blizzard is now keen on, they've opted to actually add complexities through the Ability Tree. Plus, we still don't have access to all the available weapons and arts, so who knows what effect they could have.

Whether or not they follow through on their announced intentions of new content every couple months is another story, but with the way they've handled things thus far I'm willing to give them some leeway. You're welcome to continue spewing vitriol, but do bear in mind that some of us here are indeed looking forward to playing this.

Ezodagrom
Jun 9, 2012, 06:32 AM
The rising costs are only due to one thing ; graphics. And I blame Call of Duty fans for that, or even Uncharted ones. These games have exceptional visuals and it seems this is all what counts nowadays.
Wait...you're saying that Call of Duty has exceptional graphics? lol

Anyway, the premium pricing may seem high, but don't forget that the main parts of the game are free. Do you guys really need to play as premium players every single month? Just alternate between premium and free, play like 1 or 2 months for free and then play 1 month as premium.

Polantaris
Jun 9, 2012, 07:32 AM
$16 a month for premium? That's more expensive than just about any other MMO on the market. Blame the yen --> dollar exchange rate, I guess. Either way, not sure if I approve...

That's not that abnormal for JP MMOs. I play Monster Hunter Frontier, and it's 1400yen/mo just to be able to play, and another 600yen/mo for "Extra Course" which is basically a load of practically necessary extras (More necessary than the extras you get from this game's Premium).

Mitz
Jun 9, 2012, 08:02 AM

Which is funny, as Crytek announced it's going to focus on F2P games instead.

Anyway, you mentioned Call of Duty and Uncharted(what?) as the front runners for this change of direction but you're definitely not seeing the big picture here. The world of gaming has been transitioning from small-scale developer titles to big showcase titles since the late nineties. Now while it's fun to blame other games for that, the simple fact is that this is happening because developers got bigger and therefore got more production power they can use. Shaders and polygons became more complex, software became more expensive and gamers on a whole expect to see something graphically appealing. Now while you might say that makes games focus on graphics instead of content. That's bull. People don't play JUST for graphics despite what you think, however they fill out and add atmosphere to a game which is what a lot of gamers seek.

PSO2 decided to go this route and it was probably the best decision for them to get their game out there, I just don't see how this would subtract focus since they're obviously compeltely different things.

To get on topic. I won't be spending any money, or maybe just a character slot. Not that I would mind because I can easily afford it and it's probably a lot cheaper than your standard MMO model but I'm simply not planning to stay on the Japanese server if there's even a glimmer of hope for an NA release.

Peejay
Jun 9, 2012, 09:01 AM
E3.

Apparently you haven't noticed they didn't show a good thing this year because the investors matter more than the consumers, but, y'know, you can keep consuming all that flouride or whatever. It doesn't really matter to me that you think E3 is still worth anything.

Investors being the same sort of people who indirectly cause all of your terrible health problems. Just saying.

Mracless
Jun 9, 2012, 09:10 AM
I wonder if you'll still need to recycle 12 Arks outfits to get 1 recolour ticket. £50 just for recolouring the primary colour of an outfit. That'd be insane. DX Surely it won't still work like that, right guys? Right? D:

Prices make me sad. Customisation is one of my favourite things about games that allow me to make my own characters! Such a high price and luck barrier keeping the good stuff away from me. :(

I guess you could potentially take 1 ¥500 scratch, be lucky to get exactly what you want or do FUN scratch until you get the 3 day my shop ticket, sell the junky outfit/part you got for meseta, then hopefully someone else will have what you want for sale at a similar amount of meseta.
But considering how worthless meseta is already since everything decent needs to be paid for with arks cash, I'm not sure people would be willing to sell cash items for meseta.
In that case, you'd be forced to pay for premium to be able to trade items directly with other people.
All this assuming Arks scratch items will still be tradable in the final release.

Ugh... this game is going to take so much money away from me. P2P, I miss you so much! :-(

But at least character slots are only ¥500. :D Quite surprised about that. But then again, it's another character people might spend outrageous sums to get looking the way they want them to.

pokemaniactim
Jun 9, 2012, 09:13 AM
YES! Finally! Is there a way to find out that you were accepted to play the pre-open beta, or is it okay if you signed up?

moremouse
Jun 9, 2012, 09:18 AM
Today we are announcing the pricing plans for Phantasy Star Online 2:

Game: Free to Download
Billing: The Basic Game is Free (supported by Cash Items)
Premium Set: 1300AC
AC Scratch: 1 Scratch is 200 AC
Other Cash Items: 150 AC ~

PSO2 will be Free 2 Play and Free to Download. You can play quests and story missions for free. Free players will not have limits imposed on their class levels nor playing time. They will not allow the direct sales of highly over powerful weapons that could affect game balancing. Through updates you can enjoy new bosses, new fields, and new quests for free!
Through communication, you can gain FUN points for use with the Free Gacha “FUN Scratch.” In this scratch, you can obtain room items, music disks, and additional lobby actions. Through here, you can get some exclusive features for free, for example, you may receive a ticket that lets you open up your My Room and My Shop for Free for 3 Days!
For paying users, you can enjoy additional features through Arks Cash. The items included under Arks Cash are not required for playing. There are no direct sales of highly over powerful weapons nor cash quests. 1 AC = 1 Yen!

http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-pre-open-beta-test-615-through-6162012/

Peejay
Jun 9, 2012, 09:19 AM
Might I ask where this information would be coming from?

I have no current reason to believe that would be true.

Zaix
Jun 9, 2012, 09:25 AM
There's no physical copies. Its free direct download from PSO2's website like many free to play MMOs.

Zyrusticae
Jun 9, 2012, 09:38 AM
Yet it's more people "whining" about the high prices than not being able to afford them.

It's better for 5 People paying $8 than 1 paying $16.
This is foolishness on more than one level.

First, they are pricing for Japanese customers, not foreign customers. It is not their fault, and indeed, not something they can control, that foreign currency continues to devalue while their own currency has remained largely static (and, in fact, actually deflated for a number of years since the turn of the century). For their Japanese customers, these are actually very low prices, especially compared to other MMO prices in the nation (with games like Tera taking top dollar with a price of 2700 yen).

Secondly, there is no guarantee that they would actually gain such a large number of customers if they just cut the pricing in half. Obviously, if they do cut the price in half, they have to gain twice as many customers to make up for the loss in revenue. I'll leave you to figure out just how infeasible that is.

moremouse
Jun 9, 2012, 09:38 AM
It puts the lotion on its skin.

r00tabaga
Jun 9, 2012, 09:42 AM
Epic FAIL!

CelestialBlade
Jun 9, 2012, 09:43 AM
Cash shop, dood. F2P games have been doing that for years.

Zyrusticae
Jun 9, 2012, 09:45 AM
Zaix, could you list those MMOs please? I'm not aware of any that are free to download and play except on a trial basis.
Wow, you are WAY out of the loop on this one.

First, there's Lineage II and Aion. You can, in fact, download and play the entirety of both games to the level cap without paying a dime.

Then there's a whole bunch of games that were F2P to begin with, like everything under the banner of Nexon (Vindictus, Mabinogi, among others).

There are also a number of MMOs that converted to using a Freemium system, which functions a LOT like PSO2's system in that you can play the entirety of the content without paying a dime, but have to pay something equivalent to a monthly fee to get access to several convenience features.

In fact, the market is kind of saturated with F2P games at the moment. I am absolutely boondoggled at your apparent lack of exposure to these games.

Ezodagrom
Jun 9, 2012, 09:52 AM
As I understand it, we'll still have to purchase the game and register the code supplied with it to our Sega IDs in-order to play. So, does anybody know where I can purchase a physical import? I'd rather that than a direct digital download - already tried play-asia and couldn't find any mention of it, not even a pre-order.

Today we are announcing (http://phantasystar.sega.jp/psportal/notice/20120608_02/) the pricing plans for Phantasy Star Online 2:

Game: Free to Download
Billing: The Basic Game is Free (supported by Cash Items)
Premium Set: 1300AC
AC Scratch: 1 Scratch is 200 AC
Other Cash Items: 150 AC ~

PSO2 will be Free 2 Play and Free to Download. You can play quests and story missions for free. Free players will not have limits imposed on their class levels nor playing time. They will not allow the direct sales of highly over powerful weapons that could affect game balancing. Through updates you can enjoy new bosses, new fields, and new quests for free!
Through communication, you can gain FUN points for use with the Free Gacha “FUN Scratch.” In this scratch, you can obtain room items, music disks, and additional lobby actions. Through here, you can get some exclusive features for free, for example, you may receive a ticket that lets you open up your My Room and My Shop for Free for 3 Days!
For paying users, you can enjoy additional features through Arks Cash. The items included under Arks Cash are not required for playing. There are no direct sales of highly over powerful weapons nor cash quests. 1 AC = 1 Yen!
http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-pre-open-beta-test-615-through-6162012/

moremouse
Jun 9, 2012, 09:56 AM

Good shit, man. Thanks for this. :)

r00tabaga
Jun 9, 2012, 09:57 AM
Okay, not trying to feed the troll here, but I am pretty sure that the Vita version will end up being a physical copy or digital D/L for purchase.

Ezodagrom
Jun 9, 2012, 10:00 AM
Okay, not trying to feed the troll here, but I am pretty sure that the Vita version will end up being a physical copy or digital D/L for purchase.

The game software for the PC, Vita, and Smartphone versions will be released as a FREE download. In either platform, the standard charges for playing will be absolutely free. Some of the game’s items will become Cash Items under an in-game currency known as “Arks Cash.”
http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-media-briefing-recap-and-character-creation-demo/

r00tabaga
Jun 9, 2012, 10:03 AM
Dig a little deeper and you'll see that it is being considered. Testing and time will tell. I'm calling it now. Mark my words (post).

moorebounce
Jun 9, 2012, 10:03 AM
Anyway, the premium pricing may seem high, but don't forget that the main parts of the game are free. Do you guys really need to play as premium players every single month? Just alternate between premium and free, play like 1 or 2 months for free and then play 1 month as premium.

Yeah you could play the game and never pay for anything which is great. That alone makes it better than most MMOs. It's just a matter of what premium services you can live with or without.

r00tabaga
Jun 9, 2012, 10:11 AM

First, they are pricing for Japanese customers, not foreign customers. It is not their fault, and indeed, not something they can control, that foreign currency continues to devalue while their own currency has remained largely static (and, in fact, actually deflated for a number of years since the turn of the century). For their Japanese customers, these are actually very low prices, especially compared to other MMO prices in the nation (with games like Tera taking top dollar with a price of 2700 yen).

Secondly, there is no guarantee that they would actually gain such a large number of customers if they just cut the pricing in half. Obviously, if they do cut the price in half, they have to gain twice as many customers to make up for the loss in revenue. I'll leave you to figure out just how infeasible that is.

This made me laugh. Thank you for that.

Zyrusticae
Jun 9, 2012, 10:36 AM
I'm not sure where you find humor in that, but I guess I'm glad to be of service?

r00tabaga
Jun 9, 2012, 10:49 AM
If 10,000 people paid $8/month opposed to only 2,000 who paid $16/month, SEGA is missing out on some serious money. Is it that hard to understand? That was the original posters point.
Not trying to start a fight but more people will probably pass on paying that much a month. If it was cheaper it would be easier for more people to enjoy premium perks.

youcantcatchtheblue
Jun 9, 2012, 10:57 AM
a lot of Korean MMO's let you download their client for free and have F2P payment models.

F2P has grown ever-increasingly successful that the price you pay to buy the game up front has become much smaller than all the in-game micro-transactions. F2P benefits by being able to get as many people into the game for free. If they charged for the game up-front they would lose a huge chunk of potential "subscribers"

Coatl
Jun 9, 2012, 10:58 AM
F2P mmos are more profitable than P2P ultimately.

NoiseHERO
Jun 9, 2012, 10:58 AM
If 10,000 people paid $8/month opposed to only 2,000 who paid $16/month, SEGA is missing out on some serious money. Is it that hard to understand? That was the original posters point.
Not trying to start a fight but more people will probably pass on paying that much a month. If it was cheaper it would be easier for more people to enjoy premium perks.

Half of the reason that it's bugging me in general though. Is that it's only expensive to US, as far as I know for Japan's currency this is fair. Which you can't really blame SEGA but in general, fuck that shit. Yeah I think I'm allowed to be mad about that past some self righteous thought that SEGA should get my money in general.

The other half is that I have to pay for a room specifically in the first place. I mean everything else that costs money makes sense, mostly. But my Fucking Room? Come the fuck on! D<

C'MON! D<

LokinModar
Jun 9, 2012, 11:06 AM
as someone who literally has $50 in the bank with "maybe" $98 more coming Tuesday for unemployment, i have to agree with this, the minute it becomes unfeasible, the Internet is the first thing that's gonna go+^_^+ already gave up cable TV, i CAN live without internet+^_^+ everyone cross your fingers for me landing an interview this week!!!

I can only wish you all the good energy in the universe to help you get a new job. I got a new job in may 21st. It is not the best one in terms of salary but at least i am learning new stuff.

May you find a job soon!

Totori
Jun 9, 2012, 11:10 AM
It's true, PSU gotten a lot of users spending money just to obtain some of the things at their in game shop. SEGA knows that which is why, PSO2 is going to go down this way, it's smarter and much easier for them to make money off of it.

Vashyron
Jun 9, 2012, 11:20 AM

Uh, people can show they are annoyed at the prices no matter who it was intended for.
This stuff is a bit pricey, but it's absolutely fine for Japanese players? Guess it's time to shut up because that suddenly makes it fine(!)

And I'd really like to know why it would infeasible to expect twice+ as many people purchasing if prices were cut by half or even a third. (Can even drive multiple purchases from the same customer.) I can see that being achieved very easily.
Though I expect they are not likely to risk it, perhaps in some special time sales promotions.

Spellbinder
Jun 9, 2012, 11:40 AM
Premium's cheaper than I expected, and everything else is about the price of what I normally see around here... looking forward to playing.

*walks out thread*

MAXrobo
Jun 9, 2012, 11:57 AM
I think the prices are a bit too high, but not so much I'm going to complain. I'm probably only going to buy inventory expansions and some extra skill trees anyway. and I think I remember reading that you can buy things like item trading and my room separately from the premium, so if you only want one thing it wont cost as much.

I am the most mad about the gachas, I really hope that they add the option to buy clothes individually. One of the most important parts for me is customizing my character, and with my terrible luck I'll just get the same outfit I don't want 10 times in a row.

Zyrusticae
Jun 9, 2012, 12:05 PM
Uh, people can show they are annoyed at the prices no matter who it was intended for.
This stuff is a bit pricey, but it's absolutely fine for Japanese players? Guess it's time to shut up because that suddenly makes it fine(!)

And I'd really like to know why it would infeasible to expect twice+ as many people purchasing if prices were cut by half or even a third. (Can even drive multiple purchases from the same customer.) I can see that being achieved very easily.
Though I expect they are not likely to risk it, perhaps in some special time sales promotions.

You have absolutely no proof or any sort of evidence that there are that many customers willing to pay just because it's cheaper, so how else am I supposed to take it?

Do you have metrics? Actual hard numbers? Something other than a gut feeling? Is the player base even that large in the first place?

Also keep in mind that lowering the price permanently means it is a LOT harder to do promotions and sales and things of that nature - after all, when people see "on sale! 20% discount for [X] days", that has a massive psychological effect and automatically increases sales volume by simple virtue of being on sale (it's a lot more tempting when you know the price is only temporary, right?).

Plus there's the little element of it being a F2P game, where no sub fee is actually required to play the game and thus they can focus their goods on aiming for those high-rollers who have tons of disposable income. The "lower price means more subs" argument only really applies for a sub-based game as the game's health generally depends on having a large number of players. Obviously, this is not an issue in a F2P game.

Also, @ Vash, the point I'm making is that the complaining is useless because it is Sega of JP that is setting the prices, which are explicitly being set for Japanese players and no one else. Go ahead and continue complaining if you wish, just know that it is entirely fruitless and the only thing you stand to gain from it is maaaybe a little satisfaction from getting it off your chest, but it makes you look silly and a least a little conceited.

Ezodagrom
Jun 9, 2012, 12:11 PM

Zyrusticae is right though, what you're saying is like a player from the US importing a console game from Europe at 60€ and complaing that it's too expensive (60€ is roughly $75), even though 60€ is the normal price for console games in Europe.

moorebounce
Jun 9, 2012, 12:12 PM

I'm crossing my fingers and hope you find something. I have a few friends that are unemployed at the moment and it's tough out there. I'm collecting unemployment for the summer because my job is seasonal. I'll be shutting off my cable soon to save money.

Thats why it's good that PSO2 is F2P and there are no level limits at the moment.

EtherForce
Jun 9, 2012, 12:26 PM
I'm usually up at about 7 PST so I get about an hour to play. Yay!

Vashyron
Jun 9, 2012, 01:54 PM
You have absolutely no proof or any sort of evidence that there are that many customers willing to pay just because it's cheaper, so how else am I supposed to take it?

Do you have metrics? Actual hard numbers? Something other than a gut feeling? Is the player base even that large in the first place?

Also keep in mind that lowering the price permanently means it is a LOT harder to do promotions and sales and things of that nature - after all, when people see "on sale! 20% discount for [X] days", that has a massive psychological effect and automatically increases sales volume by simple virtue of being on sale (it's a lot more tempting when you know the price is only temporary, right?).

Plus there's the little element of it being a F2P game, where no sub fee is actually required to play the game and thus they can focus their goods on aiming for those high-rollers who have tons of disposable income. The "lower price means more subs" argument only really applies for a sub-based game as the game's health generally depends on having a large number of players. Obviously, this is not an issue in a F2P game.

Obviously no numbers from me, AC hasn't even started been sold yet but I don't expect it would be far fetched at all to work in their favour, just seems to me they don't want to risk it. Of course can't do anything but speculate on this.
On promotions/sales while true we'll see if they ever end up doing them.

Also, @ Vash, the point I'm making is that the complaining is useless because it is Sega of JP that is setting the prices, which are explicitly being set for Japanese players and no one else. Go ahead and continue complaining if you wish, just know that it is entirely fruitless and the only thing you stand to gain from it is maaaybe a little satisfaction from getting it off your chest, but it makes you look silly and a least a little conceited.

You can see the extent that I "complained" in the 2nd post of this thread, of course it was a message for SOJ to read that I'm unhappy with those prices and demand they are lowered... :wacko:
You know I just made quick post to show my dislike of the prices shown. I'm sure other people here were basically just venting.

Pretty evident not everyone was going to be happy with the prices. Yes I'm sure people will continue "complaining" and look silly for showing their distaste.

moremouse
Jun 9, 2012, 01:58 PM
F2P mmos are more profitable than P2P ultimately.

This wasn't about free-to-play vs pay-to-play, it was about the cost of purchasing the game to then play it without monthly subscription. Anyway, it's already been clarified that the client is free too, so the game really is completely free to play. Just download and play.

LokinModar
Jun 9, 2012, 02:15 PM
This wasn't about free-to-play vs pay-to-play, it was about the cost of purchasing the game to then play it without monthly subscription. Anyway, it's already been clarified that the client is free too, so the game really is completely free to play. Just download and play.

Discovers powder without making noise...

Rath-Kun
Jun 9, 2012, 02:41 PM
I think I read somewhere that there will be a beginner package or somethin for 10 bucks. Comes with a DVD?

SELENNA
Jun 9, 2012, 03:14 PM
The problem is PSO2 shouldn't be in the "MMO" category in the first place. It's an action game with RPG elements. Have any of you ever played World of Warcraft, TERA and others? Of course you can find similarities, but it's really nowhere close to that genre. I agree that the core gameplay of PSO2 is fun, but what I loved in the past was the huge diversity of things to do, just exploring the same maps on Ultimate difficulty was a pleasant surprise we won't get anytime soon. It just baffles me as to why we won't get at least equal content to a game released in what, 2002? Once you have the software finished, how hard is it really to just create new content. new levels, items, etc.?

Maybe it's just me that is growing older and nostalgic, but I would never release a game I feel incomplete. I know it's F2P but to be honest this is just an excuse to not give you all the content you should have from day one. I don't want to end up paying more than a game would have costed me in the first place (around $59.99). That means if I want to enjoy all the features in PSO2, I just can't, otherwise it would cost me twice that much if not more. How is that not insulting to fans and players worldwide?

I'll agree that PSO2 from the looks of it and my closed beta impressions, is a better "MMO" than most of the junkware you see on the market. That doesn't mean it couldn't be better though. Sometimes you need to take a few steps back and watch how development goes without your fanboy glasses.

KyAniki
Jun 9, 2012, 03:19 PM
I see a lot of people complaining about inventory space. But couldn't you always send stuff right from your inventory to storage in the field? Or was that a premium feature?

Blackheart521
Jun 9, 2012, 03:24 PM
yeah you can, but unless you're soloing doing that in the middle of a mission sometimes irks people... I personally don't mind it cuz the speed of a mission isn't all that important to me so if someone needs to do that I'll just be like okay go for it brah lol ^^

NoiseHERO
Jun 9, 2012, 03:39 PM
I dunno even without the upgrade I felt like I had plenty of inventory space, or at least enough for me to not care much about it.

The item expansions(which are permanent) were pretty useful though.

Ezodagrom
Jun 9, 2012, 03:42 PM
The problem is PSO2 shouldn't be in the "MMO" category in the first place. It's an action game with RPG elements. Have any of you ever played World of Warcraft, TERA and others? Of course you can find similarities, but it's really nowhere close to that genre. I agree that the core gameplay of PSO2 is fun, but what I loved in the past was the huge diversity of things to do, just exploring the same maps on Ultimate difficulty was a pleasant surprise we won't get anytime soon. It just baffles me as to why we won't get at least equal content to a game released in what, 2002? Once you have the software finished, how hard is it really to just create new content. new levels, items, etc.?

Maybe it's just me that is growing older and nostalgic, but I would never release a game I feel incomplete. I know it's F2P but to be honest this is just an excuse to not give you all the content you should have from day one. I don't want to end up paying more than a game would have costed me in the first place (around $59.99). That means if I want to enjoy all the features in PSO2, I just can't, otherwise it would cost me twice that much if not more. How is that not insulting to fans and players worldwide?

I'll agree that PSO2 from the looks of it and my closed beta impressions, is a better "MMO" than most of the junkware you see on the market. That doesn't mean it couldn't be better though. Sometimes you need to take a few steps back and watch how development goes without your fanboy glasses.
PSO2 pricing shouldn't be compared with the standard pricing in US or EU, it should only be compared with the pricing of other subscription based games on Japan (I have no idea what is the standard pricing there though, so dunno if PSO2 Premium is considered expensive or not there).

Gama
Jun 9, 2012, 04:05 PM
compare the price a psu subscription costed in japan with the one on the usa/eu servers.

should give a better idea of the pricing diference

sugarFO
Jun 9, 2012, 04:07 PM

Games aren't developed for enjoyment anymore. With everything else, the gaming industry has been devoured by corporations and companies all looking for a profit. If developers can get away with releasing an unfinished product and consumers believe "it takes time" to perfect the game, then they will do so, all while shoving things you should buy down your throat. Gone are the days when a finished, completed game is on the store shelves. Now, it's 75% done game with bugs that need patched, sold digitally, and you only have a license to play. You don't own a game anymore. They LET you play them now. It's really sad.

Drifting Fable
Jun 9, 2012, 04:30 PM

You could arguably say Vindictus is very similar and that is an action dungeon runner MMO like PSO2. Games like Wow, Tera, and Tor are simply MMOs that have a focus on open-world content opposed to games like Vindictus and PSO2. That doesn't disqualify them from the genre.

Well wasn't the inclusion of Episode II considered an expansion of the game that released in 2000 for the Dreamcast? A game that really would have only have four areas to run around in? If you're going to compare PSO2 to PSO you should be using the original version IMO.

Ezodagrom
Jun 9, 2012, 04:40 PM
Well wasn't the inclusion of Episode II considered an expansion of the game that released in 2000 for the Dreamcast? A game that really would have only have four areas to run around in? If you're going to compare PSO2 to PSO you should be using the original version IMO.
This, also the original PSO didn't even have the Ultimate mode, it only went up to Very Hard, the Ultimate mode was introduced in the Dreamcast Ver.2 release.

EvilMag
Jun 9, 2012, 05:06 PM
PSO v1 lacked so many things.
-Ultimate Mode
-C-mode and Battle mode
-No quick menu
-Level cap is 100
-Only went up to Very hard
-Glitches galore
-Other stuff

Sega knew they were gonna release a v2 and thats why I consider PSO v1 to be a glorified beta.

Scotty T
Jun 9, 2012, 05:12 PM
Link for client download? Give.

Blackheart521
Jun 9, 2012, 05:31 PM
PSO v1 lacked so many things.
-Ultimate Mode
-C-mode and Battle mode
-No quick menu
-Level cap is 100
-Only went up to Very hard
-Glitches galore
-Other stuff

Sega knew they were gonna release a v2 and thats why I consider PSO v1 to be a glorified beta.

pretty sure you listed the same thing twice lol just differently worded ^^

Chik'Tikka
Jun 9, 2012, 06:00 PM
if you are registered for OBT already, you can download the CBT client here: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194741
then when the servers go up, it'll just update+^_^+ i actually recommend this as when the game launches, the Client download servers will undoubtedly be taxed from all the people trying to download it at once+^_^+

Link for client download? Give.

here: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194741
keep in mind you need to be registered for OBT or you won't be able to sign in, when servers go up on the 15th, just launch the client and it should update itself+^_^+ i recommend this download+^_^+ as when OBT launches, god knows how jammed up Sega's upstream is going to be with everyone trying to DL client at once+^_^+

KunoMochi
Jun 9, 2012, 06:56 PM
I wonder if Sega would be smart enough to use torrents to distribute the client. That would be awesome if they did.

zOObie1
Jun 10, 2012, 12:03 AM
Lol, was it really that important to edit your OP and second post to save face?

RocketZX
Jun 10, 2012, 12:40 AM
3am to 8am...? tell me that's a typo... >_>;;;
looks i'm gonna do this "specific desert mission" and quit cause I usually fall asleep around 3-4am
this bouquet rifle better be worth my lack of sleep D:
what's the reason for this pre-open beta? stress testing? last minute changes?
I might wanna find a party and stay with them the entire time (read: leech off elite players).

Fujiko
Jun 10, 2012, 12:52 AM
what's the reason for this pre-open beta? stress testing? last minute changes?

It is for testing the servers and making sure the problems they had during the closed beta are fixed.

Closed beta had extreme lag, but it was fixed during the final days of the test.

What better way to get tons of people piled into the servers than to have it during Japan prime time and offer a unique weapon?

Zyrusticae
Jun 10, 2012, 12:54 AM
[snip]
I think one important facet you're missing is the simple fact that the game is fully intended to be updated for a long, long time. The funding for that development has to come from somewhere, and the way I see it, there are only a few widely accepted methods of getting that funding:

1. Paid content expansions, which can have the undesirable side-effect of segregating the player base.
2. The current model, F2P with a premium option and lots of cash shop items (a.k.a. "freemium"). Doesn't suffer from the player number problems of the subscription model, but can carry the negative stigmas associated with F2P games.
3. A true F2P model that entirely uses cash shop items for revenue (Lineage II, Aion, Vindictus use this, among others) - often stigmatized as "pay-to-win" due to the grey areas of boost items and the like (even though true "pay-to-win" has long been the availability of cash shop items that grant bonuses not available to non-paying players).
4. Sub-fee, usually alongside a box fee (Both WoW and EQ2 currently use this AND #1). Requires a large player base, and dwindling subscriber numbers can have cascading effects due to the effect it can have on the play experience, as new players have quite a barrier of entry.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no great option here. There are downsides to every conceivable business model you can come up with. And expecting them to release content updates without getting that funding from the customers is a seriously unrealistic pipe dream.

Siatome
Jun 10, 2012, 01:36 AM
Progression of community thoughts concerning PSO2 pricing conveniently and chronologically organized.

Months and months ago - OMG PSO2! So excited, I am going to import this and build a brand new computer! What's that? $70-$80, plus $15 a month, plus a brand new PC? WORTH IT!

Weeks and weeks ago - F2P AND they didn't make it suck?! I am going to buy SO much outfits and swag! Shoot I was ALREADY planning on importing anyway, I might end up spending MORE! Support SEGA games you love!

Now - SIX TEEN Dollars?!? Motha#%@*#$!!

KunoMochi
Jun 10, 2012, 01:42 AM
Progression of community thoughts concerning PSO2 pricing conveniently and chronologically organized.

Months and months ago - OMG PSO2! So excited, I am going to import this and build a brand new computer! What's that? $70-$80, plus $15 a month, plus a brand new PC? WORTH IT!

Weeks and weeks ago - F2P AND they didn't make it suck?! I am going to buy SO much outfits and swag! Shoot I was ALREADY planning on importing anyway, I might end up spending MORE! Support SEGA games you love!

Haha! Good thing I still have the mentality of the second. XD I probably won't be buying anything until they release the NA region, but even if they don't, I will find a way to support them regardless.

xenokai
Jun 10, 2012, 01:57 AM
I think its the best way to do a F2P game like this. You get all the missions and story for free, peopel who want the extras for 16$ a month stuff can choose to disable it later and still be able to keep enjoying the game 100% free. I for sure will support the game with transactions when i can. But now we need a NA announment so i can set aside my cash for it xD

ClothoBuer
Jun 10, 2012, 05:57 AM
I wonder if Sega would be smart enough to use torrents to distribute the client. That would be awesome if they did.

That, or open the client download a few days in advance so people actually have a chance to patch the client in and play.

NoiseHERO
Jun 10, 2012, 07:18 AM

In my case I NEEDED a new PC,in fact my 7 year old one crashed like a month before I saved up the money for it. Also I'm not sure how the money converts but I doubt We already assumed it'd be digital download, so 70-80 bucks? fuck that! 15 a month I'd consider a lot too, but at we get everything.

Then I was never on the F2P side, also knowing as how we technically have cash shop AND a monthly fee but I tried to stay optimistic about it because this game is awesome in general.

*prices drop*

Now it's time for reality. e_e

The only reason I'm replying to this to defend myself is because I'm the only one on this website that says the word "swag" and gets away with it. As for people whining about "whiners," because we're not allowed to express dislike on the internet without being disliked or something. Well whining about us "whining" will just have us "whine" more about it which is what I'd call ironic if you want people to stop whining. But the truth is you're just bitching for attention just like anyone else on the internet which causes this endless cycle.

Which is why everyone should shut up.

Yeah.

I went there.

Shuddup e_e

RocSage
Jun 10, 2012, 07:32 AM

i choose to read that as "6 teen dollars," because it is funnier, but I must ask what is the difference between a teen dollar and a US dollar?

Gama
Jun 10, 2012, 07:39 AM
ask pedobear he should know.

sega should make the update available before the prebeta...

Gama
Jun 10, 2012, 08:32 AM
stay on topic please o.o

so when the prebeta ends, the open beta starts like in the next day or something?

i didnt get that part.

RocSage
Jun 10, 2012, 08:38 AM
stay on topic please o.o

so when the prebeta ends, the open beta starts like in the next day or something?

i didnt get that part.

Possibly. Depends on how the Pre-Open Beta goes.

NoiseHERO
Jun 10, 2012, 08:48 AM
My bad, I'm in a terrible mood and i took it out of macman's attitude and I only had 1 hour of sleep and I'm stuck at the air port and i just wanted people to stop whining about whiners about wining about people who aren't really whining and pointless internet mindset bullshit drama because nothing better to do = everyone is dumb

stay on topic please o.o

i didnt get that part.

A week after; the soonest.

Specifically, according to ric's blog a leaked Japanese advertisement said the 21st.

Gama
Jun 10, 2012, 09:01 AM
ah, nice. by then i should be done with college "yay"

Keirebu
Jun 10, 2012, 09:10 AM
This is going to be the game of the year for me. Hopefully it won't let me down as I'm ditching all games just for this. :wacko: As for the AC I'm just treating it like the game is subscript based as it's pretty much worth it.

GreenArcher
Jun 10, 2012, 09:21 AM

This guy right here

Spellbinder
Jun 10, 2012, 09:22 AM
This guy right here

It makes me laugh because it's so true.

CelestialBlade
Jun 10, 2012, 11:26 AM
I've decided that I'm probably still going to go with my original stance and throw money at clothes and such, but the Gacha still seems kinda pricey to me. I've never liked Gachas though. The game itself is too awesome to get too angry at just because optional things are kinda expensive.

BIG OLAF
Jun 10, 2012, 11:31 AM
I've decided that I'm probably still going to go with my original stance and throw money at clothes and such, but the Gacha still seems kinda pricey to me. I've never liked Gachas though. The game itself is too awesome to get too angry at just because optional things are kinda expensive.

I decided that I'm gonna get one, maybe two, outfits I like, and just wear those (it worked good in the CBT). I'll eventually get a Recycle Ticket (when you think about it, those things are going to be quite a money-sink) and save it for when a new outfit comes out that I really like, and just change it to blue after acquiring it.

I was originally going to try and get most, if not all, of the clothing, but shit...the gacha spins are expensive.

Ryudo
Jun 10, 2012, 02:28 PM

you really dont see any reason why people changed their plans of buying loads of outfits when just getting one outfit you want will cost a minimum of $82? ohoho those silly people who would have happily paid hundreds to get all the outfits are now complaining about having to pay nearly a hundred for one, those crazy hypocrites!

Zorafim
Jun 10, 2012, 02:56 PM
Went out of town over the weekend. What did I miss?

I loved My Room back in PSU. But, $8? That's like, 1/7.5 of a new game! Or a delicious meal! Or a small tank of gas! Or almost an hour of minimum wage work!

Alright, I can't back up how disappointed I am by the room rental price, but I am.

Alright, take basic marketing classes. Part of marketing is figuring out a roughly estimated formula that will take price as an input, and revenue as an output. They chose this pricing, because they believe that, although more people will be more likely to buy, it's not enough people to get more money out of it. They will NOT make 5x more people buy if they half the price. If they did, they'd gain more than twice as much revenue, and their marketers will see this.
I do think there may be something wrong with their formulas, though. I'm assuming it's because of a cultural difference in spending, and that these prices are meant for a japanese mindset.

Games aren't developed for enjoyment anymore. With everything else, the gaming industry has been devoured by corporations and companies all looking for a profit. If developers can get away with releasing an unfinished product and consumers believe "it takes time" to perfect the game, then they will do so, all while shoving things you should buy down your throat. Gone are the days when a finished, completed game is on the store shelves. Now, it's 75% done game with bugs that need patched, sold digitally, and you only have a license to play. You don't own a game anymore. They LET you play them now. It's really sad.

First: Look into indie games. Nowadays, anyone can make a game if they have the skill and time. You might enjoy playing a game made by someone because they wanted to make their own game, and had enough motivation to go through to the end.

Second: Realize how difficult game making is. Making my own game, it took me hours to come up with a new, minor feature. I rarely get to play good games nowadays, and those that I do play, it's obvious how much money are put into them. If people spend years and millions of dollars to make a game, they want their return. Sega may be going a bit further than it should, but it's obvious they tried to make a great game this time, and it's only fair they get payment.

KunoMochi
Jun 10, 2012, 06:01 PM
@Zorafim/RockEastwood: (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2761326&postcount=199)
I had been thinking about the MyRoom pricing as well, and I think why I'm annoyed by it as well is because it feels like you're renting an apartment for your character(s) that you'll rarely go back to, unless you hang out in there with your friends all the time.

And unlike in real-life, your character(s) won't care about standing/sleeping/eating/choking/dancing/etc. outside in the rain or other extreme weather conditions that PSO2 worlds will offer.

It's kind of unfair to compare something virtual with its real-life counterpart, but it feels that way to me. I'd probably liked it better if it was a one-time payment, and possibly have it separate for each individual character.

Of course, that would require more server space to accommodate the rooms for each character.

Enforcer MKV
Jun 10, 2012, 06:22 PM
@Zorafim/RockEastwood: (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2761326&postcount=199)
I had been thinking about the MyRoom pricing as well, and I think why I'm annoyed by it as well is because it feels like you're renting an apartment for your character(s) that you'll rarely go back to, unless you hang out in there with your friends all the time.

And unlike in real-life, your character(s) won't care about standing/sleeping/eating/choking/dancing/etc. outside in the rain or other extreme weather conditions that PSO2 worlds will offer.

It's kind of unfair to compare something virtual with its real-life counterpart, but it feels that way to me. I'd probably liked it better if it was a one-time payment, and possibly have it separate for each individual character.

Of course, that would require more server space to accommodate the rooms for each character.

Also, it isn't 'just' rooms we're paying for, we have to throw in the ability to trade and such. That adds to the price. I'm not trying to justify the prices - I think they're too high, as well. I'm just thinking of why Sega might feel they're justified. Just give us a perma buy option, and don't put it too high, and I think we'll be golden.

Spellbinder
Jun 10, 2012, 07:55 PM
you really dont see any reason why people changed their plans of buying loads of outfits when just getting one outfit you want will cost a minimum of $82? ohoho those silly people who would have happily paid hundreds to get all the outfits are now complaining about having to pay nearly a hundred for one, those crazy hypocrites!

Um... what?

Also don't forget people, gatcha is not the one and true way to get the clothes you want. They can be sold in the shops, and I'm sure given time the shops will be filled with clothes people didn't want .

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 10, 2012, 08:55 PM
lol good thing i rly dgaf about any of the things that are premium. the game itself and playing leveling classes etc are all available for free which is what matters most to me.

only things i'll pay for are character slot / any type of permanent inventory expansion (like the 50 > 100 inventory thing) and possibly a mag license for another mag. so this type of payment doesn't bother me at all, i'd rather pay for exactly what i want then pay for everything and barely use it anyway. probably the reason why they don't allow permanent character slots is because people would abuse it to farm mags instead of buy mag license. delete char remake get mag put in character-wide inventory rinse repeat. that's what i'd do in all honesty. its only lvl 5 to get a mag now too.

Randomness
Jun 10, 2012, 09:46 PM
Also, it isn't 'just' rooms we're paying for, we have to throw in the ability to trade and such. That adds to the price. I'm not trying to justify the prices - I think they're too high, as well. I'm just thinking of why Sega might feel they're justified. Just give us a perma buy option, and don't put it too high, and I think we'll be golden.

Yeah, it's kind of annoying that it's not possible to just get trading on its own.

thinktank001
Jun 10, 2012, 09:54 PM
Is this where I add my " told you so " post? :-?

I warned people that it was going to be $15 dollars a month for nerfed experience rates, drop rates, and deco options.

LatinWolf
Jun 10, 2012, 11:14 PM

I warned people that it was going to be $15 dollars a month for nerfed experience rates, drop rates, and deco options.

just because there may be experience boosts doesn't necessarily mean that without the boost we're getting "nerfed" exp

Spellbinder
Jun 10, 2012, 11:19 PM

Someone's getting a little carried away.

NoiseHERO
Jun 11, 2012, 01:52 AM
Hah, we've SEEN this game's exp rates in CBT unless they're changed again. Nobody should need EXP boosters with a level 40 cap. Then when the cap raises... wow oh no now I gotta get another 10 levels.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 11, 2012, 02:33 AM
we don't know what future EXP rates will be, I've played mmos that would require 1 mill exp from enemies, with enemies at same level as character giving roughly 300, then 5 levels later, enemies 5 levels stronger would give 324 exp and requirements go to 3 mill+^_^+
it could go steady til level 30, then increase sharply in how long it takes to level+^_^+ i was gonna try to make a simple exponential line graph, but I'm lazy+^_^+ point is, with F2P games, we can't look at what it took to get from lvl 10 to lvl 20 and make an accurate guess what it'll take to get from level 20 to lvl 30+^_^+

MiaRitz
Jun 11, 2012, 03:06 AM
The way I´ve always though of it is this:

a new game costs me 50-70 € and the average lifespan of the game is about 20 hours?
the way I play that ends up costing me about 2000-3000 € a year.

Now, on the other hand when I played PSU I bought maybe 3-4 other games in 3 years.
Even if they had charged 100 € / month that wouldve been cheaper for me in the long run.

Personally I can´t wait to play in the beta, It´s sad to see people complain about having to pay for extras when they should be jumping for joy that the basic game is free.

mousel
Jun 11, 2012, 05:20 AM
Personally I can´t wait to play in the beta, It´s sad to see people complain about having to pay for extras when they should be jumping for joy that the basic game is free.

THIS.

Honestly, I'm jumping for joy that the game is coming out in the first place! This is one game I'd actually pay a subscription fee for...even for a Japanese version that I can't understand! I'll probably gladly pay for some bonus things, but even if I don't I still know I'll enjoy myself...seriously, do you really NEED "My Room" to enjoy the game? I swear this is supposed to be the next Phantasy Star Online, not the next Yoville/(insert other room decorating games here).

Gama
Jun 11, 2012, 05:58 AM
The way I´ve always though of it is this:

a new game costs me 50-70 € and the average lifespan of the game is about 20 hours?
the way I play that ends up costing me about 2000-3000 € a year.

Now, on the other hand when I played PSU I bought maybe 3-4 other games in 3 years.
Even if they had charged 100 € / month that wouldve been cheaper for me in the long run.

this indeed i completely agree.

CelestialBlade
Jun 11, 2012, 06:07 AM
The funny thing about EXP boosters is that most people who swear by them will be the first people to whine about how bored they are :P Level progression was nice in the closed beta, especially if you followed the Matter Board and general quest line while mixing in client orders and hanging with friends.

One of my friends had a good idea: make it so you can buy anything in the premium set separately, but if you wanted to buy them all separate it'd be far cheaper to buy the premium bundle.

Rizen
Jun 11, 2012, 08:52 AM
The funny thing about EXP boosters is that most people who swear by them will be the first people to whine about how bored they are :P Level progression was nice in the closed beta, especially if you followed the Matter Board and general quest line while mixing in client orders and hanging with friends..
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Don't buy boosters, prolong the game experience, play with friends, enjoy the content to the fullest extend, etc.

I really do miss the days when games actually had reply value and people didn't complain about not having enough content.

Peejay
Jun 11, 2012, 10:26 AM
The funny thing about EXP boosters is that most people who swear by them will be the first people to whine about how bored they are :P Level progression was nice in the closed beta, especially if you followed the Matter Board and general quest line while mixing in client orders and hanging with friends.

One of my friends had a good idea: make it so you can buy anything in the premium set separately, but if you wanted to buy them all separate it'd be far cheaper to buy the premium bundle.

I thought you could, though. The premium bundle is just easier for a lot of us, just easier to navigate to.

thinktank001
Jun 11, 2012, 10:54 AM

The fact is that they are not " extras ". The game is designed and built around the cash shop to influence players to purchase from it. The simplest way to understand this design is to look at the mechanics and how the cash shop influences them.

NoiseHERO
Jun 11, 2012, 11:03 AM
THIS.

Honestly, I'm jumping for joy that the game is coming out in the first place! This is one game I'd actually pay a subscription fee for...even for a Japanese version that I can't understand! I'll probably gladly pay for some bonus things, but even if I don't I still know I'll enjoy myself...seriously, do you really NEED "My Room" to enjoy the game? I swear this is supposed to be the next Phantasy Star Online, not the next Yoville/(insert other room decorating games here).

No.

No, "This."

Just because I'm excited for this generally awesome game, doesn't mean that I'm not supposed to be annoyed about a part of it that's bugging me. No shit I'm still going to buy and "enjoy" the game, but YES, I DO like my room that much. I've had a lot of fun times in there in PSU and hell even CBT, it's part of the game for me, even if you say "UNGH IT'S JUST AN UNIMPORTANT ROOM."

There are other players that whine about things just as stupid that they could go without. The whole "the main part of the game is fun so your argument is invalid" mindset can't speak for everyone. Sorry if I enjoy a part of the game and I'm caught between not having it and an annoying 11 dollars for a pokemon booster pack (Just 7 pieces of cardboard, yay japan) type of price.

But I guess if people are gonna be like this, I'm gonna rag on someone everytime THEY have a small complaint with the game, and say "this game is awesome now suck up to SEGAs perfection and give them money or shut up!" Yeah that wouldn't make me sound like a cunt at all!

FenixStryk
Jun 11, 2012, 11:14 AM
The fact is that they are not " extras ". The game is designed and built around the cash shop to influence players to purchase from it. The simplest way to understand this design is to look at the mechanics and how the cash shop influences them.Let's see...
World Areas, Missions, Matter Board quests and Client Orders are all free.
No cash walls involving leveling or initial skill tree assignment -- free.
No restrictions on what classes you can play -- free.
All players are given access to Mags -- free.
Item capacity: 50 in Inventory and 200 in Storage for free.
Purchasing items from My Shop? Free.

Meanwhile:
My Room? Unnecessary.
My Shop? You only need one if you want to be a merchant.
Character Slots? One character already plays every class.
Experience Boosts? The level cap is low as it is. It's a time-saver.
Extra Skill Trees/Mags? One gets the job done if you don't mess yours up.
Scratch Cards? A gamble for vanity; is this not the epitome of extra?

The point is this: there are no hard barriers to progression or your character's combat potential. The items for sale are entirely in the realm of conveniences. Even by F2P standards, the limits in place are far from restricting.

The Cash Shop is bound to get sales, but to say they are requirements is an overzealous claim. Free players will have everything they need.

FOODFOOD
Jun 11, 2012, 11:16 AM
The way I see it, if you like aesthetics that much, you'll pay the money for it. If you don't like the aesthetics that much, then you'll get along without it.

And I'm sure they'll eventually start having "Sales" where they discount items in the AC shop.

The core of this game isn't about dressing up your character and your room. If it was, that would be the free part, and we'd all have to pay money for the action gameplay.

NoiseHERO
Jun 11, 2012, 11:30 AM
The way I see it, if you like aesthetics that much, you'll pay the money for it. If you don't like the aesthetics that much, then you'll get along without it.

And I'm sure they'll eventually start having "Sales" where they discount items in the AC shop.

The core of this game isn't about dressing up your character and your room. If it was, that would be the free part, and we'd all have to pay money for the action gameplay.

No, if it wasn't important, we'd still have PSO's customization in general.

Mind you I probably WILL feel suckered into buying it anyway, because yes, I DO want my room "that badly." I'm complaining because I have to pay for it in general, and AT THAT price, which again I think I'm allowed to do, without people trying to say I'm wrong for it.

That's ALL I'm trying to say. In other words, let me vent while I support your stupid game. It'll probably be more than what other's are contributing, anyway. D<

Mitz
Jun 11, 2012, 11:35 AM
I'm guessing characters in the open beta aren't wiped out at the end seeing as we get gifts?

Zaix
Jun 11, 2012, 11:43 AM
I'm guessing characters in the open beta aren't wiped out at the end seeing as we get gifts?

Characters ARE wiped after the PRE-OPEN Beta.
Characters are NOT wiped after the OPEN Beta and WILL carry over to the FULL game.

Ezodagrom
Jun 11, 2012, 11:48 AM
Sorry if I enjoy a part of the game and I'm caught between not having it and an annoying 11 dollars for a pokemon booster pack (Just 7 pieces of cardboard, yay japan) type of price.
If by $11 you're talking about the "my room" subscription price, it's more around $8.50~$9.50 (depending on the conversion rate, at the time of this post it's around $8.80).

moorebounce
Jun 11, 2012, 11:50 AM

They aren't wiped for the OBT but it doesn't matter because it's tied to your Sega ID account. Any gifts you got from all the tests are tied to your account.

Azimel
Jun 11, 2012, 12:07 PM
That's not that abnormal for JP MMOs. I play Monster Hunter Frontier, and it's 1400yen/mo just to be able to play, and another 600yen/mo for "Extra Course" which is basically a load of practically necessary extras (More necessary than the extras you get from this game's Premium).

Hey, I know you from MHFO JP! (I played as Tel'Aket a while back)

On Topic:
I have to agree with Pol, PSO2s amount of content that you need from the cash shop is tiny, and the stuff that would help isn't all that expensive.

Also since the My Room and all that good stuff is in Premium it's not like you have to buy them individually. EXP Boosters will be popular tho....

pikachief
Jun 11, 2012, 12:26 PM
If Arks Cash isn't used in the Pre-Open Beta, nor the Open Beta, does that mean that we can only have 1 character at a time on the Beta?

Ezodagrom
Jun 11, 2012, 12:30 PM
If Arks Cash isn't used in the Pre-Open Beta, nor the Open Beta, does that mean that we can only have 1 character at a time on the Beta?
Looks like so. :\

H3Av3NS PUNISH3R
Jun 11, 2012, 12:31 PM

From what I have heard, if you want to create another character, you would have to delete your previous one. I'm not sure if this rule will apply for the Open Beta though...

pikachief
Jun 11, 2012, 12:31 PM
Looks like so. :\

that's lame. I was really looking for an opportunity to try out a male newman :/ Oh well I guess Cast Ranger / Hunter and Human Hunter / Force (when I get some money for an alt) will have to do :P

Raikoh Katsushiro
Jun 11, 2012, 12:34 PM
I haven't participated in any other PSO2 test versions so far, but I intend to participate on this pre-open beta.

I already got a SEGA ID account and applied to PSO2 testing there; is there anything else I should do?

Is the game client already available for download? If yes, where can I get it?

This thread says that the pre-open beta will be on the 15th and 16th, between 3am and 8am (PST, -8 GMT, if I got it right). Does this mean that each day will only have a 5-hour window to play, instead of uninterrupted play from start to finish like most other games I tested?

Finally, is there anything I should know about the game beforehand? For example, what's the "AC" I've been seeing mentioned on this thread?

Thanks in advance!

Ezodagrom
Jun 11, 2012, 12:40 PM
I haven't participated in any other PSO2 test versions so far, but I intend to participate on this pre-open beta.

I already got a SEGA ID account and applied to PSO2 testing there; is there anything else I should do?

Is the game client already available for download? If yes, where can I get it?

This thread says that the pre-open beta will be on the 15th and 16th, between 3am and 8am (PST, -8 GMT, if I got it right). Does this mean that each day will only have a 5-hour window to play, instead of uninterrupted play from start to finish like most other games I tested?

Finally, is there anything I should know about the game beforehand? For example, what's the "AC" I've been seeing mentioned on this thread?

Thanks in advance!
If you already registered, you probably don't have to do anything else other than download the client to participate.

You can download the client here:
http://pso2.jp/players/download/

And here's a guide for the launcher:
http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-pre-open-beta-site-and-download-begins/

About the pre-open beta, it's going to be a short period of time because it's just a stress test, to see how the servers can handle alot of players during Japan's prime time. If the pre-open beta goes well, the actual open beta will start around 1 week later, which should probably run uninterrupted (other than possible emergency maintenances).

About AC, it's Arks Cash, the micro-transaction system of the game to use in the cash shop. There's more details about it here:

moremouse
Jun 11, 2012, 01:26 PM

Remember to bring tissue to wipe your arse with.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 11, 2012, 02:49 PM

i figured they were gonna do what they did in CBT and give us an ARKZ cash balance to play with+^_^+ at least for Pre-OBT, i don't know about OBT though as that data supposed to carry over+^_^+

moremouse
Jun 11, 2012, 03:17 PM
i figured they were gonna do what they did in CBT and give us an ARKZ cash balance to play with+^_^+ at least for Pre-OBT, i don't know about OBT though as that data supposed to carry over+^_^+

Man, I don't get their beta plan at all. Registrations have a closing date, but the data is carried over to retail. Anybody who misses beta registration will be forced to enter an already developed world at retail.

Have I missed something? Does the closing date only apply to pre-open beta, or is this whole thing just really stupid? They could atleast leave registrations open.

Will there be another registration for open beta after pre-open beta, or what? What the fuck?

pikachief
Jun 11, 2012, 03:25 PM

no there is not AC in the Pre or the Open Beta. Instead they just give you the premium bundle features (room / trading / shops etc.)

Chik'Tikka
Jun 11, 2012, 03:30 PM
Man, I don't get their beta plan at all. Registrations have a closing date, but the data is carried over to retail. Anybody who misses beta registration will be forced to enter an already developed world at retail.

Have I missed something? Does the closing date only apply to pre-open beta, or is this whole thing just really stupid? They could at least leave registrations open.

Will there be another registration for open beta after pre-open beta, or what? What the fuck?

one registration is all you need, if you registered and played in April's Closed beta, you don't need to do anything except wait for servers to go back up and sign in+^_^+ even after retail, your still going to need to register if you haven't yet, it's called creating an account to play on and most online games do this somehow+^_^+ but once you register, it's just a matter of launching the game and signing in with your Sega ID and password+^_^+ also i believe registrations will stay open after the 20th, only thing that deadline is for is the exclusive room decoration, the "Crappie Doll"

moremouse
Jun 11, 2012, 03:34 PM
...i believe registrations will stay open after the 20th, only thing that deadline is for is the exclusive room decoration, the "Crappie Doll"

Ah, that makes sense. Good stuff. Thanks.

mousel
Jun 11, 2012, 03:37 PM
No.

No, "This."

Just because I'm excited for this generally awesome game, doesn't mean that I'm not supposed to be annoyed about a part of it that's bugging me. No shit I'm still going to buy and "enjoy" the game, but YES, I DO like my room that much. I've had a lot of fun times in there in PSU and hell even CBT, it's part of the game for me, even if you say "UNGH IT'S JUST AN UNIMPORTANT ROOM."

There are other players that whine about things just as stupid that they could go without. The whole "the main part of the game is fun so your argument is invalid" mindset can't speak for everyone. Sorry if I enjoy a part of the game and I'm caught between not having it and an annoying 11 dollars for a pokemon booster pack (Just 7 pieces of cardboard, yay japan) type of price.

But I guess if people are gonna be like this, I'm gonna rag on someone everytime THEY have a small complaint with the game, and say "this game is awesome now suck up to SEGAs perfection and give them money or shut up!" Yeah that wouldn't make me sound like a cunt at all!

No.

No, :(

All I was trying to say is that I am excited for the main part of the game. Also that we're DAMN lucky to be getting the core game for free, or even at all. And that personally I don't really care about My Room/My Shop/gacha/etc. Sorry if it sounded like I was saying "OMG NOBODY CARZ ABOT THIZ STUPD ROOM SO STOP COMPLANING LULZ."

I'm almost 100% sure that I didn't say you can't complain about the things that bug you. If I did, I wouldn't have a right to voice my excitement over the game either. Feel free to vent (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21) about whatever you want, but blowing everything I say out of proportion to make an argument isn't making a valid argument either.

In other words, just because you have found annoyances to nitpick about*, doesn't mean I won't be able to enjoy the game despite your issues! And I'm certain that many others feel the same way. And I'm also certain that many others will feel the same as you too. That's what opinions are all about.

I didn't sign up here to get into arguments over what should be free and whether the non-free parts are fairly priced - or really any arguments. I don't know, maybe that's your thing. Personally I'd rather discuss my excitement for what looks to be an amazing game with people I thought felt the same way, and potentially make some friends to play together with. I'm not entirely sure I came to the right place now though.

* this is my opinion. It sounds like you feel totally wronged by SEGA for not including every single thing YOU want for free...you have a right to your opinion too.

HandOfThornz
Jun 11, 2012, 05:20 PM
I'mnot sure if this has been posted anywhere? apologies if old news.
i found a little bit of extra info on item costs in Yen. Items like EXP boost, scape dolls, etc...
Google translated link for those that are curious :)
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dphantasy%2Bstar%2Bonline%2B2%26start% 3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26tbo%3D1%26biw%3D1360%26b ih%3D685%26tbs%3Dqdr:h%26prmd%3Dimvns&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ja&u=http://www.g-heaven.net/topics/2012/06/120612a.html&usg=ALkJrhiSvjNtv-EX56g6v3KuDaXDaFycJw

Zekester
Jun 11, 2012, 05:50 PM
Wow, I would be on vacation for the only days the Pre-Open Beta will be active.
Here's for going in the Open Beta!

goldwing
Jun 11, 2012, 05:55 PM
I'mnot sure if this has been posted anywhere? apologies if old news.
i found a little bit of extra info on item costs in Yen. Items like EXP boost, scape dolls, etc...
Google translated link for those that are curious :)
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dphantasy%2Bstar%2Bonline%2B2%26start% 3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26tbo%3D1%26biw%3D1360%26b ih%3D685%26tbs%3Dqdr:h%26prmd%3Dimvns&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ja&u=http://www.g-heaven.net/topics/2012/06/120612a.html&usg=ALkJrhiSvjNtv-EX56g6v3KuDaXDaFycJw

Thank u for this.

Raging Ghost
Jun 11, 2012, 06:45 PM
How to know when the launcher has been updated successfully?

HandOfThornz
Jun 11, 2012, 06:53 PM
I found that once the 2 updates had finished i could launch the game. Then move through the main front end menus and to the ship selection screen. If you can do that, you probably have the patch installed okay? :)

Chik'Tikka
Jun 11, 2012, 06:55 PM
How to know when the launcher has been updated successfully?

i believe you get this message, unless this is an error and i don't know it+^_^+
http://i47.tinypic.com/2zz2qdw.png

Raging Ghost
Jun 11, 2012, 07:03 PM
i believe you get this message, unless this is an error and i don't know it+^_^+
http://i47.tinypic.com/2zz2qdw.png

Well, I got this:

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/5899/pso2error.png

Should I be worried?

Blackheart521
Jun 11, 2012, 07:07 PM
Raging Ghost, I'm pretty sure that yours looks different because you were patching the launcher right there... after that, you should click on the third button down on the launcher to update the actual game files.

Raging Ghost
Jun 11, 2012, 07:17 PM
Raging Ghost, I'm pretty sure that yours looks different because you were patching the launcher right there... after that, you should click on the third button down on the launcher to update the actual game files.

How much time it takes to update those files? Also, will the translation files be preserved?

Chik'Tikka
Jun 11, 2012, 07:19 PM
the translation files will be read as corrupted and be replaced+^_^+ as for the patch itself? i have no idea, i started it when Mike posted the patch thread and sorta fell asleep+^_^+

Blackheart521
Jun 11, 2012, 07:22 PM
How much time it takes to update those files? Also, will the translation files be preserved?

Well whenever we patched in the CB all the files got returned to base so no... I would assume they won't be preserved... but I personally don't know how long it takes... I have a decently fast internet connection and I've been updating for over an hour... the game will take awhile not sure exactly how long though

Raging Ghost
Jun 11, 2012, 07:23 PM
the translation files will be read as corrupted and be replaced+^_^+ as for the patch itself? i have no idea, i started it when Mike posted the patch thread and sorta fell asleep+^_^+

Okay, that means I have to replace them once I'm done updating, right?

Blackheart521
Jun 11, 2012, 07:25 PM
Okay, that means I have to replace them once I'm done updating, right?

I wouldn't edit anything for the time being... just wait it out till the servers are up is what I would do... probably won't even bother with it for the Pre-OBT ^^

Raging Ghost
Jun 11, 2012, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't edit anything for the time being... just wait it out till the servers are up is what I would do... probably won't even bother with it for the Pre-OBT ^^

Okay.

But still, the game file update is slooooooooooow.

I wonder: if I interrupt the update, next time I resume it, will it restart where I left it?

Chik'Tikka
Jun 11, 2012, 07:58 PM
Okay.

But still, the game file update is slooooooooooow.

I wonder: if I interrupt the update, next time I resume it, will it restart where I left it?

i don't know, I'd just let it run in the background and do something else+^_^+ Sega's upstream bandwidth is being killed right now probably+^_^+

Raging Ghost
Jun 11, 2012, 07:59 PM
i don't know, I'd just let it run in the background and do something else+^_^+ Sega's upstream bandwidth is being killed right now probably+^_^+

Time to put the PC to sleep, then.