PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a less populated ship for the US server.

DjDragoon
Jun 11, 2012, 03:40 PM
Sooo... are we still gonna be choosing ship 2 for the game's release? Might want to consider a server that will be less populated with Japanese users and have a ship that will mostly have US players. Since the new beta will be open, we should expect to see a lot more traffic in the future.

BIG OLAF
Jun 11, 2012, 03:42 PM
We're already decided on Ship 2, I don't think everyone is going to just up and change their minds.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 11, 2012, 03:47 PM
Yep, the majority of English speaking players will be on ship 2 i think (with a good number of 4channers on ship 4) keep in mind each of the 10 servers are split into 40 blocks (like PSU's universes) so if you need less people around you, pick an empty block!! (like block 4, 9, etc. those numbers apparently are unlucky in japan)+^_^+
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_superstitions#Numbers

moremouse
Jun 11, 2012, 03:49 PM
Sooo... are we still gonna be choosing ship 2 for the game's release? Might want to consider a server that will be less populated with Japanese users and have a ship that will mostly have US players. Since the new beta will be open, we should expect to see a lot more traffic in the future.

A lot of them already know we're on Ship 2/20. There was some discussion on our presence in the Japanese cbt forums. It was one of the most laggy ships/blocks after all. If 20 is full, load up 21, if that's full too keep trying or go to 22, and so on and so forth.

Ezodagrom
Jun 11, 2012, 03:56 PM
Ship 02 was chosen so we don't go to the most populated/most laggy ship, but we go to a ship with a good enough population to have an healthy economy in the player shops.
If we went to a less populated ship though, it's possible that it could end in a "ghost town" after some years.

Vintasticvin
Jun 11, 2012, 04:10 PM
I noticed this community has a great fascination with the number 2... Am I missing in on a joke or something?

Siatome
Jun 11, 2012, 04:14 PM
Is it weird that I WANT to play with some Japanese people sometimes? Otherwise it's like visiting Italy and never eating any Italian food!

BIG OLAF
Jun 11, 2012, 04:14 PM
I noticed this community has a great fascination with the number 2... Am I missing in on a joke or something?

A 'great fascination', huh? How so? Just because we picked Ship 2, Block 20? I hardly consider that a fascination; more like coincidence.

Dragwind
Jun 11, 2012, 04:16 PM
I don't think much is going to change at this point. Like moremouse said, if block 20 fills up, most of us will do as before and just start filling up the next block (21), 22, and so on.

Mag-X
Jun 11, 2012, 04:19 PM
I like playing with the Japanese people too.

Also, our normal play time is the middle of the night in Japan, so it doesn't really matter where we play as far as over-stressing the servers is concerned. Even with the horrible lag problems during the beta, the servers were just fine until the Japanese woke up and started playing.

Dragwind
Jun 11, 2012, 04:27 PM
I'm hoping Sega took a note from their previous stress tests and configured the servers much better this time around. Even towards the end of the closed beta, lag issues became nearly non-existent for most (I'm on the opposite side of the world from Japan, and I played through nearly all hours of the day).

If not, then the pre-open beta should take care of this.

Vintasticvin
Jun 11, 2012, 04:38 PM
A 'great fascination', huh? How so? Just because we picked Ship 2, Block 20? I hardly consider that a fascination; more like coincidence.

Coincidence? Thats the word I was looking for thanks a bunch and I asked only cause on psu 360 and JP PSU that was the meeting server also I leaving ship 20 the moment I hear the natives start their "Gaijin Slaying canpaign cause they're bored" Im ship hopping

Spellbinder
Jun 11, 2012, 04:40 PM
Coincidence? Thats the word I was looking for thanks a bunch and I asked only cause on psu 360 and JP PSU that was the meeting server also I leaving ship 20 the moment I hear the natives start their "Gaijin Slaying canpaign cause they're bored" Im ship hopping

Let's not take this topic down that road shall we?

Vintasticvin
Jun 11, 2012, 04:45 PM
Agreed, Spellbinder. Im hoping the servers ARE global so those who just wants to play can play and those angry dudgruntled players who crave more and more content can relish in the buffet of new content than they know what to do with it.

DjDragoon
Jun 11, 2012, 04:54 PM
It's not an issue with us playing with a lot of Japanese people or not. I am just worried about the maximum amount of characters being able to be created on a single ship. If this is not an issue then it shouldn't matter if we stay on ship 2 or not.

HandOfThornz
Jun 11, 2012, 05:30 PM

Back in the early days of PSU PC/PS2 everyone mainly used Uni1. Then out of the blue Uni1 went down. After that Uni2 was the default by everyone till the death of the server.
I have no idea if Xbox version had similar stats though.

I picked Uni5, before reading PSOworld were picking Uni2 for CBT. Uni5 had hardly any English speaking player, so it was quite a lonely time ;)
Once i have completed the desert mission in POB with my CBT character, i'm deleting my CBT character and starting a new character on Uni2 in the open BETA \o/

KunoMochi
Jun 11, 2012, 05:35 PM
I think it'll be interesting to play with Japanese people, but I'm not sure how it will work out using symbol chat to communicate. :<

It was nothing fancy, but FFXI Online's auto-translate feature was thought out pretty well and let you communicate with people of other languages clearly and effectively.

I was kind of hoping that PSO2 might have something like that this time around.

Dragwind
Jun 11, 2012, 05:37 PM
Back in the early days of PSU PC/PS2 everyone mainly used Uni1. Then out of the blue Uni1 went down. After that Uni2 was the default by everyone till the death of the server.
I have no idea if Xbox version had similar stats though.

I picked Uni5, before reading PSOworld were picking Uni2 for CBT. Uni5 had hardly any English speaking player, so it was quite a lonely time ;)
Once i have completed the desert mission in POB with my CBT character, i'm deleting my CBT character and starting a new character on Uni2 in the open BETA \o/

Our CBT characters were wiped. We all have to make new characters.

HandOfThornz
Jun 11, 2012, 05:51 PM
Our CBT characters were wiped. We all have to make new characters.

looks like our CBT characters are actually still useable for the POB according to this blog
http://bumped.org/psublog/

"If you saved your character data in the Closed Beta, PSO2 Pre-Open beta client can also load that character."

i'm guessing stats are also saved?
I only want the stats of my CBT character to rush the new desert mission, but if its deault lvl1 stats i'll just start a new character on Uni 2 :)

Ezodagrom
Jun 11, 2012, 05:58 PM
looks like our CBT characters are actually still useable for the POB according to this blog

"If you saved your character data in the Closed Beta, PSO2 Pre-Open beta client can also load that character."

I only want the stats of my CBT character to rush the new desert mission, but if its deault lvl1 stats i'll just start a new character on Uni 2 :)
Actually, what it says is that if you saved your character during the character creation in the closed beta or in the character creator demo, you can load your character appearance for the pre-open beta and open beta.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 11, 2012, 05:58 PM

no, i believe that has to do with saving your characters template in the creator for the CBT, I don't believe stats will carry over, you can also save a template in the CC demo as well+^_^+ I'm just hoping that they'll induce the ability to save a character template in the aesthetic shop+^_^+
EDIT: i got ninjad+^_^+

HandOfThornz
Jun 11, 2012, 06:04 PM
I thought i read that too quickly, hehe. Thanks for the info and hello Uni2 ;)

Brou150
Jun 11, 2012, 07:38 PM
I think it'll be interesting to play with Japanese people, but I'm not sure how it will work out using symbol chat to communicate. :<

It was nothing fancy, but FFXI Online's auto-translate feature was thought out pretty well and let you communicate with people of other languages clearly and effectively.

Ff11 was globally released. Pso2 is currently Japan released so they have no reason for translating.

moremouse
Jun 11, 2012, 10:28 PM
Ummm is that spose to scare me or something cause its not working =/ And I would leave long before the conversation even reaches that point (Publicly atleast)

Ermm... You must be new to the internet. Welcome, and have some coffee with cream or something.

I found that in cbt, you could usually tell a player's language by their character name. Most english speaking players use the english alphabet for their name, where as most Japanese players will have their names in Japanese text. As a result, you'd often find english names pairing with english names, and vice versa for Japanese.

Brou150
Jun 11, 2012, 11:02 PM
anyone know how to type in katakana in pso2? i happen to know how to read it and i might use "Stormie" in japanese. Sutorumi

Chik'Tikka
Jun 11, 2012, 11:11 PM
i don't have a clue, i just used Google translate on a second monitor and copy/paste in CBT+^_^+ although i wouldn't doubt there *might* be some patch to allow English keyboards to types Katakana, my Xbox tries when i set my language, it looks funky as hell too+^_^+
at the very least you can use http://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/katakana.htm and type the sounds to make the kana, or just click on them, then when message is complete, hit copy, click on PSO2 and ctrl+v+^_^+
Sutorumi on this keyboard came up with ストルミ
but i don't know if that's right+^_^+ i think my character's name "Mary" is either メリ, メリー, マリ, or マリー, but i have no clue which one is right+^_^+

Brou150
Jun 11, 2012, 11:52 PM
The first one sounds the most accurate. Maybe add a horizontal dash after the first character "me". Thanks I guess ill copy paste. My computer does have a combination for Japanese but I forgot what I set it to lol.

Actually your second one is fine. My bad. "Merii"

Spellbinder
Jun 12, 2012, 06:06 AM

If I had to choose, I'd actually prefer something along the lines of the quick select used on the dreamcast and gamecube versions. If memory serves, there were relatively more phrases available that were already strung together rather than a bunch of separate translated words you'd clump together and hope gets your point across.

I found that in cbt, you could usually tell a player's language by their character name. Most english speaking players use the english alphabet for their name, where as most Japanese players will have their names in Japanese text. As a result, you'd often find english names pairing with english names, and vice versa for Japanese.

I wouldn't necessarily say that's the case. While a majority of Japanese players will probably use hiragana / katakana/ kanji for their names, use of the English alphabet is considered to be cool and flashy at times, so it may not be safe to make assumptions just because they're using roman characters.

moremouse
Jun 12, 2012, 06:20 AM
I wouldn't necessarily say that's the case. While a majority of Japanese players will probably use hiragana / katakana/ kanji for their names, use of the English alphabet is considered to be cool and flashy at times, so it may not be safe to make assumptions just because they're using roman characters.

When you're on Ship 2/20 where us foreigners overrun it like rats, it's a pretty safe bet, my ratty brother.

Spellbinder
Jun 12, 2012, 06:38 AM
When you're on Ship 2/20 where us foreigners overrun it like rats, it's a pretty safe bet, my ratty brother.

I was on ship 5 with a group of Japanese people ^^; so I guess it was different experience.

Sp-24
Jun 12, 2012, 06:48 AM
I've noticed that Japanese players are more likely to use special symbols, like stars and notes and whatever. As for English names, I think you're correct, I've seen a lot of Japanese players with English names in other games.

Gama
Jun 12, 2012, 01:03 PM
on psujp i met some cool japanese players.

they were very friendly and curious about other countries, i actually helped one improve ther engrish ^^

Vintasticvin
Jun 12, 2012, 01:20 PM

they were very friendly and curious about other countries, i actually helped one improve ther engrish ^^

AWESOMENESS dewd :D I dont mind running into the friendry one :3

moremouse
Jun 12, 2012, 01:22 PM

That probably wasn't a very good idea.

Gama
Jun 12, 2012, 02:28 PM
why not, i enjoyed it.

DjDragoon
Jun 21, 2012, 09:55 AM
Soo... yeah. Are we still gonna stay with Ship 2 or is it time to think about the future?

Gardios
Jun 21, 2012, 10:02 AM
Ship 2 is still the safest choice imo.

Ezodagrom
Jun 21, 2012, 10:03 AM
Soo... yeah. Are we still gonna stay with Ship 2 or is it time to think about the future?
Ship 2 is a more future proof ship for the english community, but at this point, for those who can't wait to play, it's better to just play in a temporary ship like ship 10, and once things are stable in ship 2, delete the ship 10 character and come to ship 2.

Malevolent215
Jun 21, 2012, 10:07 AM
The future is ship 2, (this is not meant to be rude in any way) Have none of you ever played an online game at launch before? Severe server congestion in the first few days is a overly-common situation. Yes, this is just the open beta, but since this game is free to DL and play it pretty much is the launch.

It's a great thing that our ship is over-packed right now for two reasons-

1. It might encourage Sega to bump up the capacity/bandwith on ship 2, which will be good for us.

2. It means the server will still have a very healthy population 6 mo. to a year down the road. Any server that is not very populated now will be a ghost town in the long run.

Like I said, these are pretty much common launch situations, it will settle down after a few days/ a week or two, then it will be great!

DjDragoon
Jun 21, 2012, 10:13 AM
Sega's not gonna increase the Ship Capacity anytime soon. They're just gonna add more ships. On all MMOs, people always choose the ships at the top of the list. A server that is less popular with the Japanese users will make a better choice for English speaking players so that we aren't competing with them for blocks and what not.

Malevolent215
Jun 21, 2012, 10:17 AM
Like I said before Dragoon, Ship 2 IS the future. It might suck today thru this weekend, but in a year from now I would rather have a ship with a very lively population than some ship with a whole 200 or less active players. You join the busy servers for the future not for the first week.

DjDragoon
Jun 21, 2012, 10:24 AM
I know what I'm talking about with Sega's crappy server support. Ship 2 isn't going to eventually get less congested. If the majority Japanese and English speaking population are both on the same server then it's gonna be complete chaos.

Ezodagrom
Jun 21, 2012, 10:34 AM
I know what I'm talking about with Sega's crappy server support. Ship 2 isn't going to eventually get less congested. If the majority Japanese and English speaking population are both on the same server then it's gonna be complete chaos.
Ship 2 was completely fine during the pre-OBT, even when the peak population reached 41500 in the 5 ships available at the time.
Something other than the population could be causing problems in ships 1 to 5.

DjDragoon
Jun 21, 2012, 10:36 AM
Yeah, but that was pre-open beta. Now that the beta is completely open to the public, we should be expecting a much larger population. Especially since all character data carries over to the actual game. I know there's a lot more English players just starting PSO2 for the first time now since it is the Open Beta.

Akaimizu
Jun 21, 2012, 10:38 AM
Pre-Open Beta had a pretty decent Ship 2, even though it was very tough to get onto block 20 unless you were an early bird. The spill over went to Block 21 and 22.

Ezodagrom
Jun 21, 2012, 10:38 AM
Yeah, but that was pre-open beta. Now that the beta is completely open to the public, we should be expecting a much larger population. Especially since all character data carries over to the actual game. I know there's a lot more English players just starting PSO2 for the first time now since it is the Open Beta.
The population reached a peak of 60000 today, but since then it must be getting lower (as seen by all of the ships being green now instead of the first few ships being yellow).

Malevolent215
Jun 21, 2012, 10:43 AM
Man do I hate you right now Dragoon, because I hate arguing on forums lol.

YES, it is more likely that sega will not expand the server itself, I won't argue about that.

BUT, again.... This is a common situation!! Over time people will stop playing this game AND others will play less often. Resulting in the the real-time population dropping and less strain on the servers.

I'm not going to list all the other games that run into this problem because there are too many. I will list one recent, somewhat successful example.

SWTOR!

The game launched and had a server Q system. At launch some servers had 4 hr+ wait times, so impatient people joined the less populated servers.

What happened? After time and the initial rush passed the servers died down and those people that switched cried that their server was dead.

Now recently Bioware allowed people to do server transfers, where did they go? To those initially overpopulated servers because it was a lively active population.

There's no guarantee that sega will allow server transfers in the future, and since we are only given one free character most people will not want to delete and start over.

This is getting long....

Bottom Line? suck it up and be patient. As much as I'd hate to use a cheesy line I will, "Such is the nature of Modern Online Gaming".

ShadowsCrush
Jun 21, 2012, 10:43 AM
Like I said before Dragoon, Ship 2 IS the future. It might suck today thru this weekend, but in a year from now I would rather have a ship with a very lively population than some ship with a whole 200 or less active players. You join the busy servers for the future not for the first week.

If populations got too low on a server they'd just do a merge anyway, not a big deal

DjDragoon
Jun 21, 2012, 10:48 AM
Man do I hate you right now Dragoon, because I hate arguing on forums lol.

YES, it is more likely that sega will not expand the server itself, I won't argue about that.

BUT, again.... This is a common situation!! Over time people will stop playing this game AND others will play less often. Resulting in the the real-time population dropping and less strain on the servers.

I'm not going to list all the other games that run into this problem because there are too many. I will list one recent, somewhat successful example.

SWTOR!

The game launched and had a server Q system. At launch some servers had 4 hr+ wait times, so impatient people joined the less populated servers.

What happened? After time and the initial rush passed the servers died down and those people that switched cried that their server was dead.

Now recently Bioware allowed people to do server transfers, where did they go? To those initially overpopulated servers because it was a lively active population.

There's no guarantee that sega will allow server transfers in the future, and since we are only given one free character most people will not want to delete and start over.

This is getting long....

Bottom Line? suck it up and be patient. As much as I'd hate to use a cheesy line I will, "Such is the nature of Modern Online Gaming".

Don't argue with me then and I really don't care if you hate me. We'll see how this all ends by next week with results.

Ezodagrom
Jun 21, 2012, 10:48 AM
Ah, one more thing, Ship 2 blocks are less filled now than they were during the pre-OBT, and there's still lag and character creation is still blocked. It's really likely that there's another problem other than the big population.

WorldlyCosmonaut
Jun 21, 2012, 10:53 AM
So where should the people who want to be with the english speakers go if Ship 2's full? :<

Malevolent215
Jun 21, 2012, 10:54 AM
Don't argue with me then and I really don't care if you hate me. We'll see how this all ends by next week with results.

Agreed, but remember I'm not speaking for just you, I'm talking about general population. The guy above you already mentioned the servers dying down. Why? The Japanese are going to sleep... I'm going to have fun playing tonight at 7 PM CST when they are all waking up/ going to work or school. How many Western players will still be waking up at 5 AM to play in 2 weeks? That's when the Japanese population will be at it's highest.

Ezodagrom
Jun 21, 2012, 10:55 AM
So where should the people who want to be with the english speakers go if Ship 2's full? :<
Ship 2 and the others with locked character creation are not full, they're having some other problems. SEGA is investigating the issues and when they find the problem, they'll fix it.

Malevolent215
Jun 21, 2012, 10:56 AM
Ah, one more thing, Ship 2 blocks are less filled now than they were during the pre-OBT, and there's still lag and character creation is still blocked. It's really likely that there's another problem other than the big population.

That's a possibility but I think the fact that more people are actually "playing" the game today, so they are in games instead really isn't helping the situation. The POB was going to be wiped anyways so a lot of players just hung out in the lobbies chatting and dancing.

WorldlyCosmonaut
Jun 21, 2012, 10:59 AM
Hopefully they get it fixed and done.

kdrakari
Jun 21, 2012, 12:15 PM
I still think that the character creation lock is an intentional decision by Sega with the intention of spreading out the population over more servers, thus avoiding both the overcrowding upon release and updates as well as the emptiness of otherwise unpopular servers. They'll undo it once the creation frenzy of the first day or so dies down and the stragglers can't have a huge unbalancing effect on the population. Might go back up at the beginning of full release though.