PDA

View Full Version : How to make my character?

PhantasmalCat
Jun 12, 2012, 10:47 AM
Ok, so the pre-open beta is in 3 days and i'm wondering how to customize my character for the game. I'm pretty new to PSO so I was wondering if you can equip certain weapons regardless of race/type like in PSPo2. I used mainly sabers and daggers in PSPo2 and plenty of force as support. So what combination should I pick?

Sp-24
Jun 12, 2012, 10:52 AM
So far, I think that the only weapon you can use regardless of class is a Gunblade, which is a pretty elaborate weapon concept to be available universally, IMO. If you want to play as a melee force (as they are the only class who can support with techs, or even use techs for that matter), then Gunblade may be the only choice.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 12, 2012, 02:53 PM
Gunbblade is awesome, it may become my primary weapon if they nerf launcher+^_^+

Sp-24
Jun 12, 2012, 03:22 PM
If they add handguns and sabers, I'll switch, but otherwise, I think I'm gonna be a Gunblade Force, with a bit of Cards added into the mix.

PhantasmalCat
Jun 12, 2012, 07:03 PM
Wait what's a gunblade? TwT I'm kind of new to this stuff.

Zaix
Jun 12, 2012, 07:06 PM

Its a one handed sword that can switch modes and fire like a handgun.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 12, 2012, 07:09 PM

kinda like this, but without the folding, and Sega calls theirs a "Gunslash"+^_^+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GbNRRgkrBY

PhantasmalCat
Jun 12, 2012, 07:15 PM
Hmm, I was picturing Squall's gunblade. Anyway, is this some weapon? how do get/use it?

Chik'Tikka
Jun 12, 2012, 07:17 PM
here's a better one+^_^+ and like the saber/pistol in PDU, i think everyone starts with a gunbblade+^_^+ at least Ranger did, i didn't try any of the other classes+^_^+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTFjtlkQ0lM

Randomness
Jun 12, 2012, 07:56 PM
here's a better one+^_^+ and like the saber/pistol in PDU, i think everyone starts with a gunbblade+^_^+ at least Ranger did, i didn't try any of the other classes+^_^+
Gunslash (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTFjtlkQ0lM)

Yeah, I think everyone gets a gunslash and then sword/rifle/rod to start, cause I know I had one on FO.

They do work EXACTLY like Lightning's gunblades in XIII though. Even to the folding around to change modes (The one in that video is a rare, and actually looks somewhat different between forms. The basic ones look exactly the same, but still have visibly moving parts.)

Also, in the CB, the grenade tossing PA was absurdly powerful, it outdamaged almost every tech I had as a force. (FOnewearl, even. That said, Sazonde stacking kept up overall, but that's about it)

Zeota
Jun 12, 2012, 07:57 PM
They all started with one if I remember right. Gunblades also had some nice PA's, especially the grenade one.

PhantasmalCat
Jun 12, 2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks, this is all really helpful. So can a human/force equip a sword or no? Gawd I can't wait till friday ^^

Randomness
Jun 12, 2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks, this is all really helpful. So can a human/force equip a sword or no? Gawd I can't wait till friday ^^

Nope. Weapon availability is determined solely by class. Forces only get gunslash for melee/ranged combat.

If/when the subclassing comes in, that's where hybrids will come up.

I already could go 100% HUnewearl on enemies in the CB anyways. I LOVE the melee PA system.

Mike
Jun 12, 2012, 10:27 PM
Since we're on the subject of weapons and class restrictions, the Bouquet Rifle is equipable by all classes. Only rangers can use the PAs for it and it'll likely be a low level item but it opens the door for some interesting gameplay styles. I hope we see other similar things happen with other weapons later on.

Zorafim
Jun 12, 2012, 10:30 PM
Basically, what you need to keep in mind when doing things with your character, is what race you want (mostly cosmetic), and what class you want (can be changed at any time at a counter in the lobby). Once you chose your class, you can equip three weapons on to your pallet. If you played PSU, this should look familiar. If you only played PSO, it's like the weapon switch mini-menu, but much more streamlined. Along with equiping weapons, you also equip PAs on your weapons. If using a melee attack, what part of the combo you're in determines which PA you will use when equipping your PA. If using a tech weapon or a ranged, your different PAs are equipped to different buttons. Gunslash counts as a melee weapon in this regard.
Beyond that, you can also customize yourself with a skill tree. Every level, you'll gain a point. You can spend this point to gain a new ability. Abilities range from "PA damage increased by 5%" to "adds an attack after your dodge", among other things. With this, you'll be able to specialize in different weapon types, or tech elements, or fighting styles, etc.
Hunters can use wired knuckles, partisans, swords, and gunblades. Rangers use grenade launchers, assault rifles, and gunslash. Forces use rods, cards, and gunslashes.

So basically, chose your race based on visual preference. Chose your class based on combat style preference. Then chose your weapon types, and equip those weapons with your favorite PAs. As you level, learn different skills.

Enjoy!

goldwing
Jun 12, 2012, 11:13 PM
Hunters can use wired knuckles

*gasp* how dare you call my lances Knuckles!!! sorry i had to they are my babes.

Zorafim
Jun 12, 2012, 11:54 PM
Well... Tell someone whos never played this game "Wired Lance", and they think of a lance with a wire. Tell someone "Wired Knuckle", and they think of a fist weapon with wires. Wired Lance makes sense in hindsight, but it doesn't really give you the right image the first time you hear it.
Same with Partisan. To this day, I don't have any idea what a partisan is supposed to be. The only thing I could come up with are two sides of a political debate. What does that have to do with spears?

Chik'Tikka
Jun 12, 2012, 11:56 PM
Well... Tell someone whos never played this game "Wired Lance", and they think of a lance with a wire. Tell someone "Wired Knuckle", and they think of a fist weapon with wires. Wired Lance makes sense in hindsight, but it doesn't really give you the right image the first time you hear it.
Same with Partisan. To this day, I don't have any idea what a partisan is supposed to be. The only thing I could come up with are two sides of a political debate. What does that have to do with spears?

A partisan (also partizan) is a type of polearm that was used in Europe during the Middle Ages. It consisted of a spearhead mounted on a long shaft (usually made of wood) with protrusions on the sides which aided the user in parrying sword thrusts. Like the halberd it quickly became obsolete with the arrival of practical firearms although it stayed in use for many years as a ceremonial weapon. In profile, the head of a partisan may look similar to that of a ranseur, ox tongue, or spetum.
example of common partisan heads+^_^+

http://www.tomsarazac.com/tom/images/nethack/partisans.gif

+^_^+

http://www.tomsarazac.com/tom/Fun/polearms.html

all this talk makes me want to buy these; http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-541-assassin-extension-knife.aspx
http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-1446-assassins-creed-ii-extension-knife.aspx
it's real and they'll sharpen it on request for an extra fee+^_^+

Zorafim
Jun 13, 2012, 03:40 AM
Those... Those heads are beautiful! I've been looking for some spear head designs, and I think these will fit! Thank you, Chiky.

Ryo
Jun 13, 2012, 10:13 AM
Those... Those heads are beautiful! I've been looking for some spear head designs, and I think these will fit! Thank you, Chiky.

You'd think a spear would be the natural enemy of a fishman. Just sayin'.

Randomness
Jun 13, 2012, 10:19 AM
You'd think a spear would be the natural enemy of a fishman. Just sayin'.

Which is why fishmen always seem to have spears as weapons.

Sp-24
Jun 13, 2012, 10:21 AM
"Keep your enemies closer", as they say.

PhantasmalCat
Jun 13, 2012, 02:10 PM
Looks like I'll be using a human/force then. I also noticed there's no beasts in pso.

Sp-24
Jun 13, 2012, 02:12 PM
I think that Casts are supposed to have higher melee and ranged power than humans, so consider HUcast/HUcaseal, too.