PDA

View Full Version : English Patch and The Newest Title Update

bradsta6508
Jun 13, 2012, 09:14 AM
It seems that the English patch available from www.[redacted].com is not compatible with the latest client update from Sega. I tried implementing it earlier today, and now when I boot the client, all prompt boxes are empty. Just putting this out there, so you, the post reader, don't make the same mistake.

moorebounce
Jun 13, 2012, 09:31 AM
It seems that the English patch available from www.[redacted].com is not compatible with the latest client update from Sega. I tried implementing it earlier today, and now when I boot the client, all prompt boxes are empty. Just putting this out there, so you, the post reader, don't make the same mistake.

You do realize this thread is a mistake right? You're not allowed to talk about the EP here. Or post any links.

Mike
Jun 13, 2012, 09:40 AM
You do realize this thread is a mistake right? You're not allowed to talk about the EP here. Or post any links.
From the sticky:

2. Posting links to any form of client modification (e.g., English patch, etc) is also not allowed here.
Posting links? No. Talking about is ok, to a point. Just use your common sense. EDIT: When it comes to where to stop talking about the patch, I mean.

bradsta6508
Jun 13, 2012, 09:44 AM

wut dude?

Jonth
Jun 13, 2012, 09:46 AM
EDIT: Disregard.

H3Av3NS PUNISH3R
Jun 13, 2012, 11:46 AM
You're not supposed to talk about any unofficial patches here. If you want to fix the problem, just update your client again. It will replace the files.

Ryoga4523
Jun 13, 2012, 12:16 PM
I can't comprehend why it would be not allowed to talk about a patch to a game that makes it easier to play (buy translating most of the game into a different language). Pso-world is not a subsidiary of sega, and these are not official sega forums, so other than arbitrary rules, who gets hurt (financially, economically, etc...) buy posting about patches that translate the game. I could understand if pso-world provided the actual client download of the patch, but if someone posted a link to another site, I just do not see the harm. For those who feel differently, please clarify my ignorance on this subject matter.

Sp-24
Jun 13, 2012, 12:24 PM
PSO-World is an "unofficial official" site for everything PSO-related. To keep that status, we must play along some rules, one of which being "Do not provide illegal content", which is what something that modifies your game's client is. Besides, as you may notice, Mike has already said that you can talk about that patch.

Ryoga4523
Jun 13, 2012, 12:30 PM
unofficial negates any "official" status that would be provided by sega. Its like saying a nonblack black guy...

Sp-24
Jun 13, 2012, 12:33 PM
"Wigger", you mean? In any case, PSO-World doesn't want to cross Sega's path, like it or not.

bradsta6508
Jun 13, 2012, 12:36 PM
Can someone give me a link to download the original language files for the client? Like a google doc? It would be much appreciated. Oh, and btw, a mod already cleared up the discussion regarding whether this thread was breaking any rules or not.

Ezodagrom
Jun 13, 2012, 12:55 PM
The english translation patch doesn't work and will not work with the pre-open beta.
That's all I'll say here.

Hrith
Jun 13, 2012, 01:02 PM
I can't comprehend why it would be not allowed to talk about a patch [...] I just do not see the harm. For those who feel differently, please clarify my ignorance on this subject matter. http://www.wordreference.com/definition/law

Ryoga4523
Jun 13, 2012, 01:03 PM
bradsta - I know. I am just stating my opinion that the term "unofficial" (in unofficial official) negates the official status, thus you would not be stepping on anyones toes (aka Sega) and furthermore, they dont have the authority to do anything to the "Status" of psoworld, because psoworld is not a subsidiary of Sega. As the top of the page indicates, psoworld is a just a comprehensive place for all things pso related and it is the "world's largest phantasy star community."

Wigger is a term for a white guy trying to be black, a nonblack black guy does not exist.

And someone please provide the answer to Bradsta's post

Ezodagrom
Jun 13, 2012, 01:06 PM
bradsta - I know. I am just stating my opinion that the term "unofficial" (in unofficial official) negates the official status, thus you would not be stepping on anyones toes (aka Sega) and furthermore, they dont have the authority to do anything to the "Status" of psoworld, because psoworld is not a subsidiary of Sega. As the top of the page indicates, psoworld is a just a comprehensive place for all things pso related and it is the "world's largest phantasy star community."

Wigger is a term for a white guy trying to be black, a nonblack black guy does not exist.

Even if this website is not a subsidiary of SEGA, rules are rules, and the rules of these forums say to not post links to modifications of the client.

Ryoga4523
Jun 13, 2012, 01:07 PM
http://www.wordreference.com/definition/law

I did say other than the arbitrary rules set forth by psoworld...

Sp-24
Jun 13, 2012, 01:08 PM

Are you trying to cling to words or do you not get it at all? This site stays on the good side of both the PSO fans and Sega, as simple as that. The rules section mentions the "illegal" part, if you are wondering, and you are expected to read them.

Ryoga4523
Jun 13, 2012, 01:11 PM
Even if this website is not a subsidiary of SEGA, rules are rules, and the rules of these forums say to not post links to modifications of the client.

I know... which is why I said other than the rules set forth by psoworld.

Sp-24
Jun 13, 2012, 01:17 PM
11. Illegal Activities
Posts that discuss illegal activities, transactions, or link to websites containing warez, cracks, ROMs are not allowed. Do not post copyrighted materials - examples: videos, MP3s - that you do not have permission to reproduce or distribute.

There. To find out whether it is legal to modify your game's client, refer to PSO2's terms of usage written in moonspeak... Or almost any other online game's TOU ever. Spoiler: it is not.

BIG OLAF
Jun 13, 2012, 01:19 PM
a nonblack black guy does not exist.

The term you're looking for would be "oreo", and yes, they do exist. I know a few of them.

But that has nothing to do with anything.

Ryoga4523
Jun 13, 2012, 01:20 PM
Are you trying to cling to words or do you not get it at all? This site stays on the good side of both the PSO fans and Sega, as simple as that. The rules section mentions the "illegal" part, if you are wondering, and you are expected to read them.

I am not trying to cling to anything. I merely said that the term "unofficial" negates any official status that one thinks that they have. And I also was referring to who would be harmed by the posting or mentioning of an english patch. That is it. I did not intend to stir the hornets nest.

Since good can be both subjective and objective, would it not be good for Sega to have the game translated into english so that more players would participate and thus spend more money with sega???

Sp-24
Jun 13, 2012, 01:22 PM
Are you asking me, as if I can legally allow modification of the game's client? I'm not telling you what is good and what is bad, I'm telling what is and isn't allowed here and why.

BIG OLAF
Jun 13, 2012, 01:24 PM
I am not trying to cling to anything. I merely said that the term "unofficial" negates any official status that one thinks that they have. And I also was referring to who would be harmed by the posting or mentioning of an english patch. That is it. I did not intend to stir the hornets nest.

Since good can be both subjective and objective, would it not be good for Sega to have the game translated into english so that more players would participate and thus spend more money with sega???

Its' because SEGA says in their TOS for PSO2 that they may not tolerate any manipulation of game files, and a translation, however harmless it may be, falls under that category. So, if anyone is "caught" using an EN patch, or any other kind of language patch, they can be banned from the game at SEGA's discretion.

Ryoga4523
Jun 13, 2012, 01:25 PM
The term you're looking for would be "oreo", and yes, they do exist. I know a few of them.

But that has nothing to do with anything.

Oreo has its own definition, to which I am familiar. I am not trying to find a definition for a nonblack black guy, I am trying to raise a point to indicate that one does not exist. So to rephrase, it would be like a nonwater water, or a noncar car. It is either one or the other, but it cannot be both. At least logically speaking.

Ryoga4523
Jun 13, 2012, 01:28 PM
Are you asking me, as if I can legally allow modification of the game's client? I'm not telling you what is good and what is bad, I'm telling what is and isn't allowed here and why.

I never once brought up the legality of the english patch. I said, what is the harm. And to whom would it harm. If it violates Sega's terms and conditions of downloading and playing the game, then it is in clear violation. It violates sega's policy to play the game, but I do not know how it is illegal. That does bring up an interesting topic though. Would it then be illegal based on Sega USA or Sega of Japan. Each country has its own legal system. Man, who would of thought that this thread would evolve into so many lingering questions.

Sp-24
Jun 13, 2012, 01:34 PM
Man, who would of thought that this thread would evolve into so many lingering questions.

Not me, I usually assume that other people can read:

This site stays on the good side of both the PSO fans and Sega, as simple as that.

Sega means Sega, as a whole.

As for your problem with words, note the speech marks in my first post. Among other things, they can be used to indicate that the term should not be taken literally.

Jonth
Jun 13, 2012, 01:42 PM
Arguing semantics does not make you correct. Just saying. In any case Sp-24 has answered the question via multiple facets already. Let it go.

bryanbtje
Jun 13, 2012, 01:51 PM

So you're telling that i don't exist? ;;_;;

Ryoga4523
Jun 13, 2012, 01:56 PM
Not me, I usually assume that other people can read:

Sega means Sega, as a whole.

As for your problem with words, note the speech marks in my first post. Among other things, they can be used to indicate that the term should not be taken literally.

Love your passive aggressive tone, but my questions, be they hypothetical or rhetorical, were just those, questions. You answered most, and I thank you for that. As I mentioned before, I am not trying to agitate anyone, but you have responded multiple times with innuendos indicating that I am either ignorant (for not being able to read) or am down right stubborn (for not reading). I also don't have a problem with "words". I was asking for clarification, not regurgitation. If you do not know the answer to a question, just say "I dont know" or the forum favorite "google it".

Ryoga4523
Jun 13, 2012, 01:58 PM
Arguing semantics does not make you correct. Just saying. In any case Sp-24 has answered the question via multiple facets already. Let it go.

Not arguing semantics, just flushing out issues. Sorry if it feels or seems that way. But answering a question with a blanket statement that does not address the root of the question, does not answer anything, it only creates more questions. But because this has gone so off topic, it should probably be closed before the flame throwers come out.

BIG OLAF
Jun 13, 2012, 02:00 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with Jonth and Nilok 2.0, you're letting this drag on too far. Simmer down.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 13, 2012, 02:17 PM
"During your course of PSO2, you’ll meet many players and interact with them. However, sometimes a slight remark or action may trouble your team mates.

Prohibited Actions:

Real Money Trading Services
Cheat Tools / Item Modding and Duping
Unauthorized access / Program modifications.
Obstructing Administration / Stealing or Fraud

When users are caught performing these actions their accounts may be banned from playing the game. In addition to those actions stated above, other prohibited actions include:

Altering Stats
Speed Hacks
Use of outside programs that affect the game.
The use of (external programs) to perform actions automatically.
Slandering specific players or groups.
Obstructing Admin (harm to game events, false reports, pretending to be admin, etc.)
Account Phishing
Etc."
source; http://bumped.org/psublog/
+^_^+ hope this helps clear up any questions, you can refer to the link for more info+^_^+

Ryoga4523
Jun 13, 2012, 02:22 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with Jonth and Nilok 2.0, you're letting this drag on too far. Simmer down.

So asking questions is frowned upon? I am not being irate, or offensive. I am not being hostile, yet you are asking me to simmer down? For asking questions that, yes admittedly are out there, but still legitimate questions. I agree that it is against Sega's T's & C's to add an english patch, and I know that it is against psoworld's rules and regulations as well. I was not asking questions about either. I asked who does it harm, and later if it was to be deemed illegal by Sega, would it fall under Japanese or American legal jurisprudence.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 13, 2012, 02:30 PM
I'm sure it's not illegal by government laws for either nation, but Sega wrote the contract, and the contract *is* bound by the local government law (Japan) where the contract was written, failure to uphold your end of the contract could mean legal action in Japan (though I'd doubt America would do anything, but if your caught, i wouldn't vaca in Japan), and by clicking "i agree" you say that you'll conform to that contract, which I'm sure says somewhere that they reserve the right to deny you the service at any time at their whim+^_^+ meaning they can ban your account and probably your IP address the account was on for any reason+^_^+ so in the end Sega is right and we are all wrong+^_^+

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 13, 2012, 02:40 PM
"Love your passive aggressive tone"

WOAH MAN CALM DOWN BRO we're all friends here dog calm down just calm down take a chill pill.

derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp. with that bullshit aside (i hardly think you're typing like somebody whose angry, you are starting to draw out an argument though) if you want your questions answered?

learn/get someone to translate japanese, and go email sega about it. can argue about the tos or whatever all day but you're starting to get so precise in your questions only sega staff could give you a sufficient answer that will satiate you. undoubtedly this patch really doesn't harm anybody. it would if there was an english localization and they wanted eng players to play on the english version or whatever, but that's not the case atm.

in terms of "hurting" anybody simply by discussing it, i'd say it could "potentially" as in barely, hurt this website's reputation I GUESS.

imo the eng patch is basically gonna be like smoking pot. is it illegal? yes. does pretty much everybody do it, yes (note i said pretty much, not literally everybody).

so in an abstract metaphorical sense you could see psoworld as an english speaking community politician, and in a very cliche sense, the topic of marijuana and usage has come up.

technically speaking as far as modding goes for vindictus, people ran the korean voice modification for vindictus for like, ever. nobody ever got banned for it either. in fact they ran even more "risky" mods like the nude mod / clothes mod and nobody got banned for that as well. anybody paranoid over whether or not they'll get banned because they're using an english patch is just a little bit naive. i'd bet that sega has more things to deal with than a rather harmless english patch that simply increases the amount of revenue they'll be able to make for the time being.

NoiseHERO
Jun 13, 2012, 03:02 PM
Videogame debates are hardcore.

Sp-24
Jun 13, 2012, 03:06 PM
Gotta make up for lack of the actual game somehow. Oh well, only 1.5 more days!

Ryoga4523
Jun 13, 2012, 03:11 PM
I'm sure it's not illegal by government laws for either nation, but Sega wrote the contract, and the contract *is* bound by the local government law (Japan) where the contract was written, failure to uphold your end of the contract could mean legal action in Japan (though I'd doubt America would do anything, but if your caught, i wouldn't vaca in Japan), and by clicking "i agree" you say that you'll conform to that contract, which I'm sure says somewhere that they reserve the right to deny you the service at any time at their whim+^_^+ meaning they can ban your account and probably your IP address the account was on for any reason+^_^+ so in the end Sega is right and we are all wrong+^_^+

LOL. The end part is so true. I do appreciate that you took the time to give me a straight answer. Through all of the conversations on this thread, I completely forgot about Sega's ability to ban my IP from playing PSO2 :(

One quick question, for those who did do the english patch on CBT, assuming some did, did anyone get banned? Now I am perplexed as to whether or not I should use an english patch, or just play it in japanese. Thanks again Chik'Tikka for answering my question :)

Ryoga4523
Jun 13, 2012, 03:15 PM
"Love your passive aggressive tone"

WOAH MAN CALM DOWN BRO we're all friends here dog calm down just calm down take a chill pill.

derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp. with that bullshit aside (i hardly think you're typing like somebody whose angry, you are starting to draw out an argument though) if you want your questions answered?

learn/get someone to translate japanese, and go email sega about it. can argue about the tos or whatever all day but you're starting to get so precise in your questions only sega staff could give you a sufficient answer that will satiate you. undoubtedly this patch really doesn't harm anybody. it would if there was an english localization and they wanted eng players to play on the english version or whatever, but that's not the case atm.

in terms of "hurting" anybody simply by discussing it, i'd say it could "potentially" as in barely, hurt this website's reputation I GUESS.

imo the eng patch is basically gonna be like smoking pot. is it illegal? yes. does pretty much everybody do it, yes (note i said pretty much, not literally everybody).

so in an abstract metaphorical sense you could see psoworld as an english speaking community politician, and in a very cliche sense, the topic of marijuana and usage has come up.

technically speaking as far as modding goes for vindictus, people ran the korean voice modification for vindictus for like, ever. nobody ever got banned for it either. in fact they ran even more "risky" mods like the nude mod / clothes mod and nobody got banned for that as well. anybody paranoid over whether or not they'll get banned because they're using an english patch is just a little bit naive. i'd bet that sega has more things to deal with than a rather harmless english patch that simply increases the amount of revenue they'll be able to make for the time being.

That is hilarious, and also somewhat true. Thanks for the thoughtful feedback, and for calming my nerves about getting banned over an english patch.

Zaix
Jun 13, 2012, 03:16 PM
I know of no one that got banned for the English Patch.

BIG OLAF
Jun 13, 2012, 03:26 PM
I know of no one that got banned for the English Patch.

Yeah, not yet. You think they're going to be as lenient about it in the full game? Knowledge of the EN patch was quite common during the Closed Beta, even in the JP side of the community. They'll get wind of it again.

Ryoga4523
Jun 13, 2012, 03:35 PM
Just out of curiousity, how many plan on using the english patch for the OBT and official game?

Sp-24
Jun 13, 2012, 03:36 PM
Quite a few people. But that's provided that GameGuard doesn't deny you access to the game for having it.

EXPFULL
Jun 13, 2012, 03:37 PM
I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before they point GameGuard at those patch files... then I beleive the game will freak out if they're touched.

I'm still stuck in HTTP Error hell here... but it's nice to hear that it should get there in the end.

NoiseHERO
NOT ME, YO!

Edit: your first post on this forum and you Ninja post me??? OF ALL PEOPLE???

You're too dangerous. e_e

Zaix
I don't see it being an issue until the official English translation rolls out. Then they may start tackling it.

Of course for all we know it might wind up being the official English Translation, or at least heavy inspiration for it.

moremouse
Jun 13, 2012, 03:42 PM
In terms of law, the discussion of illegal facets is not a criminal offence unless sufficient proof of intent to pursue those facets is presentable - suspicion of conspiracy. Even then, actual conspiracy to commit is not the same as the criminal act itself. Equally, the act of software modification is not illegal. Although, ramifications of the modification may manifest in situations which infringe on the copyright holder; this usually occurs under harm, loss or injury to the copyright holding party. Furthermore, the modification by itself is also under no uncertain terms, illegal to possess, unless obtained under harm, loss or injury to the copyright holding party - the use of which, pertains to the same conditions in respect to both aquisition and use of said modification.

Proof of any such harm, loss or injury to the copyright holding party, must also be proven as the factor that caused said harm, loss or injury.

As software modification is not illegal, the english patch is not applicable to the following rule:

Illegal Activities
Posts that discuss illegal activities, transactions, or link to websites containing warez, cracks, ROMs are not allowed. Do not post copyrighted materials - examples: videos, MP3s - that you do not have permission to reproduce or distribute.Therefore, it may be openly discussed unless stated otherwise. However, linking to the patch, regardless of legalities, is against the rules, as defined by the following section of the stickied rule post regarding said issue:

2. Posting links to any form of client modification (e.g., English patch, etc) is also not allowed here. However, none of the above explains why it is against the rules of PSO-World to link the english patch. According to the following segment, they aren't liable for it:

Liability

You understand that PSO-World.com does not control, and is not responsible for content made available through PSO-World.com, and that by using PSO-World.com, you may be exposed to Content that is offensive, indecent, inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise objectionable. Furthermore, PSO-World.com and content available through it may contain links to other websites, which are completely independent entities. PSO-World.com makes no representation or warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or authenticity of the information contained in any such site. Visiting a link to any other website is done at your own risk. You agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of any content, that you may not rely on said content, and that under no circumstances will PSO-World.com be liable in any way for any content or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any content posted, emailed, or otherwise made available via the PSO-World.com.
You agree that use of PSO-World.com and our service is entirely at your own risk. You agree that PSO-World.com is not in any way responsible for any of our members. PSO-World.com services are provided on an "as is" basis or "as available" basis, without any warranties of any kind. PSO-World.com disclaims any warranties for the security, reliability, timeliness, accuracy, and performance of the PSO-World.com site and service. Under no circumstances shall PSO-World.com be liable for direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential, or exemplary damages resulting from your use of PSO-World.com.
And, according to the conditions quoted by Chik, Sega may ('may' in law is a positive - therefore assumed) ban user accounts where the user is "caught performing these actions".

When users are caught performing these actions their accounts may be banned from playing the game.

So, essentially, Sega have nothing to do with the discussing or linking of the english patch on this website, in regards to legaility. And in actuality, if the conditions quoted by Chik are correct, can legally only ban your account for those reasons, under the stated conditions of those reasons i.e. being caught performing the act that is not allowed. Not by posting a message on a forum saying that you use it.

Hypothetically, if you were to go to court in 'appeal' (pretend, you idiot) to the ban, the other party (Sega) would have to provide evidence that you performed such actions; only after you had provided evidence - within reasonable doubt - that they had banned you under any condition that wasn't stated as the condition of the ban.

bradsta6508
Jun 13, 2012, 04:26 PM
Wow, what a waste of my time it was, perusing through all of these replies looking for an answer to my problem. And chik tikka, no more of your weird smilies in this thread, please. You make me uncomfortable.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 13, 2012, 04:30 PM
LOL. The end part is so true. I do appreciate that you took the time to give me a straight answer. Through all of the conversations on this thread, I completely forgot about Sega's ability to ban my IP from playing PSO2 :(

One quick question, for those who did do the english patch on CBT, assuming some did, did anyone get banned? Now I am perplexed as to whether or not I should use an english patch, or just play it in japanese. Thanks again Chik'Tikka for answering my question :)

i didn't get banned for English patch+^_^+ and it's in M$ Xbl contract that they can refuse a connection from any IP, so i figure Sega can do the same+^_^+ only have one year of Net Admin under my belt, but it's not hard to record incoming packet IP headers and footers+^_^+

Wow, what a waste of my time it was, perusing through all of these replies looking for an answer to my problem. And chik tikka, no more of your weird smilies in this thread, please. You make me uncomfortable.
ok+^_^+ no more after this
+^_^+

moremouse
Jun 13, 2012, 04:33 PM
And chik tikka, no more of your weird smilies in this thread, please. You make me uncomfortable.
Do one, you arse wipe.
+^_^++^_^+
+^_^++^_^+

blace
Jun 13, 2012, 04:37 PM
It's awesome how a thread can spiral off into something else. Not that I'm complaining, helps pass the time when there's nothing to do.

Hrith
Jun 13, 2012, 04:39 PM
I did say other than the arbitrary rules set forth by psoworld...Did you just call law an arbitrary rule set by a fansite?

Why do you people try to answer this retard?

moremouse
Jun 13, 2012, 04:50 PM
Did you just call law an arbitrary rule set by a fansite?

Why do you people try to answer this retard?

I believe he called the rules - which comprise the 'law' (if you want to be a picky shit) - of this website, arbitrary.

For those who feel differently, please clarify my ignorance on this subject matter.

Look at this, he left the statement open-ended. So why the fuck call him a retard? It seems your impeccable skills of comprehension define you as the god damn retard. You complete buffoon.

NoiseHERO
Jun 13, 2012, 04:55 PM
I believe he called the rules - which comprise the 'law' (if you want to be a picky shit) - of this website, arbitrary.

Look at this, he left the statement open-ended. So why the fuck call him a retard? It seems your impeccable skills of comprehension define you as the god damn retard. You complete buffoon.

Daaaaayyyyyyuuuummmmmm >_<

Shit just got reeeeaaaaalllll.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 13, 2012, 05:01 PM
Here Rock, use this while i run!!!!+^_^+
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1914&stc=1&d=1339624876
Made by Kion+^_^+

Ryna
Jun 13, 2012, 05:23 PM
Since this thread has gone off-topic, I am going to lock it.