PDA

View Full Version : Reasons/solutions for PSO2 crashing with shading enabled.

Coatl
Jun 15, 2012, 06:34 AM
Hey there.

I've made this thread is to draw out the reasons (and if possible solutions) for PSO2 when shadowing/shading is enabled. I'll be buying a new PC pretty soon, and it that solves it then great. But I'd like to know exactly what is the problem though.

TechnoV
Jun 15, 2012, 01:56 PM
Mine was crashing whenever I would try to create a character. Is this what caused it? If so, how can I turn off shadowing so that I can play tomorrow?

Aeris
Jun 15, 2012, 02:41 PM
Usually having the slider higher to the right at 3 and higher have the shaders on, 2 and 1 has it off, turning it higher and your gpu can't handle it might make your game crash at certain points, try turning it lower and see if that fixes your issue, really donno where the shadowing option is though.

buri-chan
Jun 15, 2012, 02:47 PM
Open the launcher.
Choose the second button down to open the config screen.
Open the fourth tab to the right.
Here are the graphics options that are changed by the slider. On the left you've got the detail going high to low from top to bottom, and the box on the right changes whether the shadowing is enabled. Top is on, bottom is off. Generally speaking, the settings go:

1 - Low Textures, Shadowing Off
3- Medium Textures, Shadowing On
5 - High Textures, Shadowing On

To save settings, click the bottom-right button, then click the left button in the dialog box that comes up. What card are you running it on? If it's old enough to be replaced, it really might be the problem, sad to say.

Coatl
Jun 15, 2012, 02:47 PM
Usually having the slider higher to the right at 3 and higher have the shaders on, 2 and 1 has it off, turning it higher and your gpu can't handle it might make your game crash at certain points, try turning it lower and see if that fixes your issue, really donno where the shadowing option is though.

I am not necessarily looking to fix the issue, I am more looking for the reason for why the issue exists. Turning the shader off does fix the problem though.

It being because of GPU is a viable reason though.

What card are you running it on? If it's old enough to be replaced, it really might be the problem, sad to say.

My graphics card is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200.
Not going to manage?

Crevox
Jun 15, 2012, 04:00 PM
I am not necessarily looking to fix the issue, I am more looking for the reason for why the issue exists. Turning the shader off does fix the problem though.

Not going to manage?

That card is an onboard card, so I would be surprised if it runs this game at all...

Technically it's not even a GPU, it's not a dedicated processing unit.

AnnabellaRenee87
Jun 15, 2012, 04:02 PM
You can try updating the drivers and then updating your DirectX.

Scotty T
Jun 15, 2012, 04:02 PM
Get 550 Ti, BOOM. Sorted.

vanishingstapler
Jun 15, 2012, 04:07 PM

Not going to manage?

My laptop has an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 and the game crashes with shaders on as well. I think the frame rate would probably be too slow if I could use them, though.

TechnoV
Jun 15, 2012, 05:29 PM
The slider fixed it! I couldn't figure out what was wrong this morning, but at least I'll be able to participate in part 2 of the POBT. Desert/Bouquet rifle, here I come.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 15, 2012, 05:40 PM
the issue why it crashes, the limited amount of horsepower your discreet chip has can't handle the load+^_^+ what above people said, try using simple shaders and lower res textures+^_^+ perhaps lower you resolution as well (play at 720 on a 1080 monitor) when the GPU load reaches 100%, it starts dropping frames until it goes like 1 frame a second, crashes are usually a result of RAM (probably the VRAM on the vid chip) filling up, how much RAM does your Laptop have? your gonna want at least 4 GB standard+^_^+
also this thread has been helpful (to me anyway) what's good to run PSO2+^_^+
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187525

Sp-24
Jun 15, 2012, 05:49 PM
Also, try expanding your virtual memory if you haven't done it before and have enough HDD space to afford it.

Aeris
Jun 15, 2012, 06:41 PM
That card is an onboard card, so I would be surprised if it runs this game at all...

Technically it's not even a GPU, it's not a dedicated processing unit.

The game uses like 250 up to 350+ Vram or more on higher settings for rendering in HD and such, it might be best to set the intergraded gpu to like 512MB of vram from the regular ram if you're gonna use normal settings or better yet get a standalone gpu of 256MB+ of vram and you will be fine.

moorebounce
Jun 15, 2012, 07:25 PM
I actually made these translated settings menus the other day and posted them in a thread.