PDA

View Full Version : Unable to type Japanese in game

Flaire
Jun 15, 2012, 12:33 PM
I have an English keyboard, and I'm trying to write Japanese while playing PSO2. I've been using IME outside PSO2 for a long time, but it simply isn't working with the client. I'm able to switch to the Japanese keyboard, however, the client appears to lock the input mode to romaji. I've tried fiddling with various settings, even creating different shortcuts to change the text input, but nothing has succeeded. Has anyone else come across (and hopefully solved) this problem?

Sp-24
Jun 15, 2012, 12:37 PM
Try pressing Alt+~ when entering text, it is supposed to switch between roman characters and kanji.

Gama
Jun 15, 2012, 12:42 PM
i had no issues switching from romangi to japanese, win 8 thought.

KyAniki
Jun 15, 2012, 12:49 PM
I had the same problem in OB. It didn't seem to recognize the Alt+~ combination in game for me either.

aduran
Jun 15, 2012, 12:51 PM
I couldn't set the name of my character using full width katakana. I could type it but when i hit continue it wouldnt let me unless i use the english input. I was trying to set it as シノワ. Would love to do it in the open beta.

Sp-24
Jun 15, 2012, 01:06 PM
It worked perfectly for me. Weird.

Cavistus
Jun 15, 2012, 01:44 PM
Try Alt+shift

the game might auto switch to EN when you open it, so you'll need to press alt+shift to switch to the IME, and check and see if alt+~ works

Kinaya
Jun 15, 2012, 02:53 PM
same problem, i can't change my input mode to hiragana/katakana while I'm in game :(

Lintor
Jun 15, 2012, 03:35 PM
Alt+shift to switch from English it Japanese (direct input)
Alt+~ to switch from Japanese (direct input) to Japanese (romanji)

At least that's how it works for me.

~(tilde) is uhm... `(grave) for you people with EU keyboards I believe

Kinaya
Jun 15, 2012, 03:45 PM
i tried every combination with alt but i can't change it, any idea why i can't change it? i can use hiragana/katakana in skype, firefox, osu and any other program... its rly annoying

Mag-X
Jun 15, 2012, 04:13 PM
I'm not playing the pre-open beta, but in the closed beta, it worked just like everything else.

Alt+Shift to switch to Japanese, but default is romaji.
Then press ALT+Caps Lock for Katakana and CTRL+Caps Lock for Hiragana.
Press Alt+Shift to go back to English, and Alt+Shift to go back to whatever Japanese input you were on last.

Kinaya
Jun 15, 2012, 04:30 PM
Let me explain, i can switch between German and Japanese layout but i can't switch from romaji to hiragana/katakana no idea why, in other games it works perfectly fine..

Sp-24
Jun 15, 2012, 04:34 PM
Are you trying to switch during the "typing mode" (for the lack of a better term)? For example, I can't switch between roman and kanji characters when I'm just browsing web pages, but when I click on anything that lets me write, it becomes possible.

That's my only guess here.

Lintor
Jun 15, 2012, 04:39 PM
I assume xe knows things like that, it sounds like a genuine problem.
Why I stopped responding.

Sp-24
Jun 15, 2012, 04:42 PM
I'm only suggesting it because I remember being able to switch input modes just fine back when I was using XP, but not after SP3.

Kinaya
Jun 15, 2012, 04:48 PM
Are you trying to switch during the "typing mode" (for the lack of a better term)? For example, I can't switch between roman and kanji characters when I'm just browsing web pages, but when I click on anything that lets me write, it becomes possible.

That's my only guess here.

didn't work :( i give it up thx for ur help^^

Chik'Tikka
Jun 15, 2012, 05:16 PM
and here i was thinking you needed a special keyboard to type kana and such+^_^+ the few times i types kana when in Sp24s party, i had http://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/katakana.htm open on the other monitor and just ctrl+c and ctrl+v +^_^+ i am so trying out the ctrl+whatever in the morning+^_^+

Lintor
Jun 15, 2012, 05:21 PM
and here i was thinking you needed a special keyboard to type kana and such+^_^+ the few times i types kana when in Sp24s party, i had http://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/katakana.htm open on the other monitor and just ctrl+c and ctrl+v +^_^+ i am so trying out the ctrl+whatever in the morning+^_^+
No, if you have the IME setup, you can type the romanji, and have it converted to hiragana, than you press space to convert to katakana or kanji, along... well algorithms that have been in development for long enough that they're mostly intuitive for anything BUT katakana.
For instance, the onomatopoeia ニャア (Nyaa, like a cat says) is a pain to type at first.
There are tutorials on how to work them.

watersea
Jun 15, 2012, 05:24 PM
works fine for me

have you installed the latest japanese windows?

Kinaya
Jun 15, 2012, 05:40 PM

thats a good idea, and yeah i have the latest Japanese windows installed

Flaire
Jun 15, 2012, 08:31 PM
I spent pretty much all day trying to figure this out. It looks like it's a problem with Windows 7 specifically. Something to do with it not having an option to turn off advanced input, whereas other operating systems have it usually by default. It's not just PSO2, it's all fullscreen games. When I looked it up, there were a lot of people complaining about it for FFXI, FFXIV, and even PSU. Also, I tested it with other games, and it's impossible to switch from direct input to hiragana in those too. I even went as far as changing every possible regional setting to Japanese and using some regionalizor application in combination, but no dice.

TIME TO UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 8.

Kion
Jun 15, 2012, 09:19 PM
and here i was thinking you needed a special keyboard to type kana and such+^_^+

Actually, I tested this once. At the top left of a Japanese keyboard there's the (半角/全角/漢字) key to switch input methods. I downloaded the program SharpKey which allows you to change a key to anything else, and apparently the switch key on the Japanese keyboard actually refers to the ~ button. So aside from a few layout changes a jp keyboard is actually identical.

If anyone really wants something cool, there's a registry hack to fix the layout of the IME to fit an english keyboard. At least for me my computer forces a japanese keyboard when typing in japanese and the " is above the 2, and @ is around { and ( is over 8. Generally it's pretty annoying having to remember what the layout is. You can change the values in regedit, to change the keyboard type to fit an english keyboard layout.

Open Registry Editor (press WinKey+R > type regedit and press Enter).
1)Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\i8042prt\Parameters
2)Change the LayerDriver JPN value from kbd106.dll to kbd101.dll
3)Change the value of OverrideKeyboardIdentifier from PCAT_106KEY to PCAT_101KEY
4)Change the value of OverrideKeyboardSubtype from 2 to 0
5)Close the Registry Editor and restart the Windows.

Arika
Jun 16, 2012, 07:31 AM
What is the short key to change From Hiragana to Katakana?

z121231211
Jun 16, 2012, 09:24 AM
alt+` Switches from Romaji to Hiragana (and back) (if you had katakana selected it'll go from Romaji to Katakana and back)

alt+capslock Switches from Romaji to Hiragana to Katakana (doesn't go back)

If I got to Katakana from capslock I couldn't go back to Hiragana unless I switched from Japanese to English (alt+shift) and back, which it'll then default to Hiragana.

You should just play around with those inputs to be sure.