PDA

View Full Version : Any idea how to get a gamepad (360 controller) to work?

Memorex
Jun 15, 2012, 03:21 PM
I've been trying to google search but I can't find any kind of guide that tells you how to install and use the gamepad with PSO2.

Anyone out there know how I can set up my xbox 360 controller for pso2?

Ryo
Jun 15, 2012, 03:22 PM
The game has native gamepad support. I haven't had to do anything to get mine working.

Malevolent215
Jun 15, 2012, 03:25 PM
Ok I will help him because I probably know what issue he is having.

The 360 controller must be a WIRED one. You cannot use a wireless 360 controller with windows without going way out of your way and trusting 3rd party drivers in your windows OS. Also, the plug and play kit cord will not work. If you really want a 360 one the wired Afterglow 360 controllers they sell at walmart for less then $20 are actually pretty nice.

BIG OLAF
Jun 15, 2012, 03:28 PM
An Xbox 360 wireless controller and an Xbox 360 wireless controller adapter for your PC will also work. That's what I use.

[spoiler-box]http://www.giga-shop.com/9948-large/black-wireless-pc-windows-gaming-controller-usb-adapter-receiver-for-microsoft-xbox360-wirelessgbx-s6034.jpg[/spoiler-box]

^One of those'uns.

Lintor
Jun 15, 2012, 03:32 PM
My PS3 controller using 3rd party drivers worked in X360 emulation mode, as someone is borrowing the ONLY wired 360 controller.
I haven't tried in PS3 mode yet.

As for the 360 (speaking from wired is all I know), it should plug and play on win7, win xp you'll need the official Microsoft drivers, which don't hurt if you're on vista/7 anyways. If it works in other games no reason it wont work in PSO, so there likely wont be any guides as it works natively.

Ryo
Jun 15, 2012, 03:33 PM
An Xbox 360 wireless controller and an Xbox 360 wireless controller adapter for your PC will also work. That's what I use.

[spoiler-box]http://www.giga-shop.com/9948-large/black-wireless-pc-windows-gaming-controller-usb-adapter-receiver-for-microsoft-xbox360-wirelessgbx-s6034.jpg[/spoiler-box]

^One of those'uns.

That's what I use. Usually ~$70, but you can use any 360 controller with it; it's quite convenient.

Fujiko
Jun 15, 2012, 03:33 PM
Ok I will help him because I probably know what issue he is having.

The 360 controller must be a WIRED one. You cannot use a wireless 360 controller with windows without going way out of your way and trusting 3rd party drivers in your windows OS. Also, the plug and play kit cord will not work. If you really want a 360 one the wired Afterglow 360 controllers they sell at walmart for less then $20 are actually pretty nice.

I use a wireless 360 controller, absolutely no issues period. Windows 7 already has the drivers for the wireless adapter, you just plug it in.

If you buy one of the knock off wireless adapters, then yes you need the third party drivers. Official ones are plug and play outside of Windows XP which you just download the driver from Microsoft.

BIG OLAF
Jun 15, 2012, 03:41 PM
That's what I use. Usually ~$70, but you can use any 360 controller with it; it's quite convenient.

$70?! Dude, I got mine on Amazon for like $20.

...though, my first one I bought years ago (before it died) was like $60. But yeah, they're cheap now.

Lintor
Jun 15, 2012, 03:47 PM
$70?! Dude, I got mine on Amazon for like $20.

...though, my first one I bought years ago (before it died) was like $60. But yeah, they're cheap now.
Thats why I use a wired, $10 cheaper controller, no dongle, no batteries.
...The adapters are really down to $20? I have an army of wireless, I might have to look into that, thanks.

Ranji
Jun 15, 2012, 03:48 PM
Odd, I tried using my wireless controller with the Play and Charge adapter, and nothing gets recognized, not just PSO2, but anything. I popped my wired MadCatz in and drivers just installed and I was good to go!

BIG OLAF
Jun 15, 2012, 03:50 PM
The Plug n' Play's don't work, as it connects to the battery, and not to the controller hardware. Needs to be a 'real' wired controller, or a wireless paired up with the adapter I showed earlier.

...The adapters are really down to $20? I have an army of wireless, I might have to look into that, thanks.

You're welcome.

Lintor
Jun 15, 2012, 03:53 PM
The Plug n' Play's don't work, as it connects to the battery, and not to the controller hardware. Needs to be a 'real' wired controller, or a wireless paired up with the adapter I showed earlier.

You're welcome.

Not exactly, it does transmit data to the controller, but that appears to be exclusively for sync purposes.
/trivia

Chik'Tikka
Jun 15, 2012, 05:30 PM
+^_^+ i paid $12 for my wireless adapter, wish i coulda used it in CBT, but shipping was slow+^_^+ I'm just glad i can break it in now+^_^+

Memorex
Jun 15, 2012, 07:58 PM
Thanks for all the help everybody.

I just bought the official wireless adapter for 15 bucks on ebay, gonna be here on june 19th. Hopefully just 2 days before the official open beta :D