PDA

View Full Version : Character name question

Takaaaa
Jun 15, 2012, 04:48 PM
So I didnt like how my character last night so Im remaking it. My question is if symbols effect the availability of the name?
just an example. Tom, a common name that is prob taken. Would +Tom+ change anything? or will it still no be available since its still Tom?

I ask because I have been trying so many things for a character name, adding a ridiculous mount of symbols and everything but still get the message that it cant be saved because its taken already. Maybe I need to delete my previous character?

BIG OLAF
Jun 15, 2012, 04:50 PM
It doesn't matter, as names aren't character-exclusive.

Takaaaa
Jun 15, 2012, 04:56 PM
So it doesnt matter if I add many symbols since it uses the same base name?

Sp-24
Jun 15, 2012, 05:00 PM
People are allowed to use kanji characters, so I assume that you can have any Unicode symbols you want in your name.

MasterSpark
Jun 15, 2012, 05:01 PM
What Olaf means is that several characters can have the exact same name, since their character name isn't the unique identifier. There's an underlying player ID for that. You can pick any name you want without adding any symbols to it to make it "unique".

Edit: I might've misread the opening post, though. If you can't pick the same name again it's probably because the appearance template is still saved on your client, and it doesn't want to overwrite it. Check your Documents > SEGA > PSO2 folder and see if you can find a file named like your previous character.

Edit2: Disregard this, I don't think I know what I'm talking about right now. ^^'

Lintor
Jun 15, 2012, 05:04 PM
That name you picked on first login, that's your unique identifier, in previous games you were assigned an ID.
That's also the name at which you'll be whispered and appear on people's friends list.
Therefore, character names are non unique, and you can have EXACTLY the name you want.

Takaaaa
Jun 15, 2012, 05:06 PM
Ahhh I understand now~ So any idea why it wont let me save and keeps saying that its already taken? :[

BIG OLAF
Jun 15, 2012, 05:08 PM
Ahhh I understand now~ So any idea why it wont let me save and keeps saying that its already taken? :[

If you're referring to the CC client, it would be because you already have a character file with the same name, so you'd have to put "Tom1" as the file name, as you have already used "Tom" in your data storage, for example.

If you're not referring to the CC client, then I have no idea.

Takaaaa
Jun 15, 2012, 05:11 PM
If you're referring to the CC client, it would be because you already have a character file with the same name, so you'd have to put "Tom1" as the file name, as you have already used "Tom" in your data storage, for example.

If you're not referring to the CC client, then I have no idea.

Yeah Im using the CC client, but Im using a totally different name then my old character. But is there a way to delete my old character and see if it works?

ashley50
Jun 15, 2012, 05:14 PM
Go to its directory, and delete it.

Takaaaa
Jun 15, 2012, 05:16 PM
Oh ok so just delete the whole PSO2 folder in SEGA?
Also I read that I can only have one character, and need to pay for another. maybe thats why i cant make a new one?

Lintor
Jun 15, 2012, 05:16 PM
It is quite annoying you can't overwrite old files in the CC. I've been appending a version number to everyone I make.

ashley50
Jun 15, 2012, 05:17 PM
Oh ok so just delete the whole PSO2 folder in SEGA?
Also I read that I can only have one character, and need to pay for another. maybe thats why i cant make a new one?
Just delete the file that has your character's name on it.

Takaaaa
Jun 15, 2012, 05:20 PM
Just delete the file that has your character's name on it.
It still wont save...

Sp-24
Jun 15, 2012, 05:25 PM
What kind of a name are you using? Also, do you have two or more different characters with the same name? For example, a human and a newman, both named "Takaaaa"?

EDIT: Just tried to save a character with some kanji symbols in the name, and CC wouldn't let me. I guess you can only do it in the actual game.

Takaaaa
Jun 15, 2012, 05:31 PM
I made a female Hucast named "yakimochi" but I deleted it from my PSO2 folder and now making a different one called "やきもち". but wont let me save.

Sp-24
Jun 15, 2012, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I guess that's the problem. It doesn't allow the output file's name to have... Non-ASCII characters, I guess? Anyway, Japanese symbols are a no-go, sorry.

Takaaaa
Jun 15, 2012, 05:38 PM
Awww thats junk! So only people in Japan can have japanese character names?

ashley50
Jun 15, 2012, 05:40 PM

lolwat...

Where did you get that idea?

Sp-24
Jun 15, 2012, 05:42 PM

No, I think it works this way: the file that is saved on your hard drive can only contain ASCII characters. However, when entering you character's name in the actual game, you can use Japanese characters to your heart's content.

Takaaaa
Jun 15, 2012, 05:42 PM
lolwat...

Where did you get that idea?

didnt Sp-24 just say that japanese text is a no-go? Im so confused...

No, I think it works this way: the file that is saved on your hard drive can only contain ASCII characters. However, when entering you character's name in the actual game, you can use Japanese characters to your heart's content.

Ok so I have to create a character in the actual game and not the CC client?

Stepper
Jun 15, 2012, 05:45 PM
It doesn't matter what you save the character as using the CC; it's just used to identify it later when you load it in the actual game's CC. You pick your character's name after that.

For example, I named all my CC files HM1, HM2, NF1, etc. to easily identify them later.

ashley50
Jun 15, 2012, 05:51 PM
didnt Sp-24 just say that japanese text is a no-go? Im so confused...

Then...
[spoiler-box]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/ashley_riot/pso20120615_154556_002.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Sp-24
Jun 15, 2012, 05:53 PM
I've tried it myself just 10 minutes ago, and it wouldn't let me save. Maybe it's a locale thing. Anyway, I'll go check it out again.

Which makes me wonder, Ashley, is your locale set to Japanese?

ashley50
Jun 15, 2012, 05:56 PM
I've tried it myself just 10 minutes ago, and it wouldn't let me save. Maybe it's a locale thing. Anyway, I'll go check it out again.

Which makes me wonder, Ashley, is your locale set to Japanese?
Yeah...everything is set to Japanese by default.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 15, 2012, 05:57 PM
yeah, cc demo won't let you save Japanese Text (at least on my computer)+^_^+ even renaming the file in the documents just causes ???? to appear to appear in the beta creator and it won't load, if you want your character to have Japanese name, it's the last thing you put in after importing the character into the game (right before you play), the screen right before the one that shows your name, race, gender, and class+^_^+ so in the CC demo, just do what i did and name your creations 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. and actually name them when you play+^_^+

Sp-24
Jun 15, 2012, 05:58 PM

That must be it. I'll upload a screenshot in a few minutes.

EDIT:
[spoiler-box]http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/9346/pso20120616015606001.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Takaaaa
Jun 15, 2012, 06:06 PM
yeah, cc demo won't let you save Japanese Text (at least on my computer)+^_^+ even renaming the file in the documents just causes ???? to appear to appear in the beta creator and it won't load, if you want your character to have Japanese name, it's the last thing you put in after importing the character into the game (right before you play), the screen right before the one that shows your name, race, gender, and class+^_^+ so in the CC demo, just do what i did and name your creations 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. and actually name them when you play+^_^+
Oh ok! I guess that if nothing else works, ill do that later tonight.

That must be it. I'll upload a screenshot in a few minutes.
Yup I get that same message saying that it cant save.

So if I change my laptop's locale to japanese, I can make a character in japanese. Does that mean I cant change it back to English later?

Sp-24
Jun 15, 2012, 06:28 PM
You can, don't worry. If you aren't lazy to restart your PC twice and really need to have a file with a Japanese name, might as well do it.

Takaaaa
Jun 15, 2012, 06:34 PM
You can, don't worry. If you aren't lazy to restart your PC twice and really need to have a file with a Japanese name, might as well do it.
Im willing to do that. I spent hours with different combinations because i thought the name was already taken... ><;; haha

Ok just changed my computers Locale to japanese and still doesnt work... I guess ill have to change it in game? should I just create the chracter in game?

Lintor
Jun 15, 2012, 06:53 PM
I uhm... wow... changinge locale is going way overboard for... anything.
The character creator can't save a file with a Japanese name to the computer, it likely is some caught io error. This has nothing to do with what name it'll be in the actual game.
Naming your char in game should work, even if your system locale is set to English. Seriously, you haven't needed to do that for a game since... prolly Ragnarok I bet.

Also, look up applocale, it runs an exe file in a different locale, so you don't need to change the system.

Remember, the standalone character creator has nothing to do with the actual game, its just files on your local system, no names are taken, the only conflict is with files you've already saved locally, and filenames have nothing to do with the characters final name.

Sp-24
Jun 15, 2012, 07:15 PM
Ok just changed my computers Locale to japanese and still doesnt work... I guess ill have to change it in game? should I just create the chracter in game?
Too bad. Changing locale is usually one of those magical spells that fixes everything Japanese-related. Don't know what else to suggest.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what do you name that file. You can just load it in the game later and it will prompt you to enter the character's name. I suppose you will be able to use Japanese characters there.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 15, 2012, 08:54 PM
Too bad. Changing locale is usually one of those magical spells that fixes everything Japanese-related. Don't know what else to suggest.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what do you name that file. You can just load it in the game later and it will prompt you to enter the character's name. I suppose you will be able to use Japanese characters there.

that's what i did for mine Sp24 +^_^+ and that's what i was trying to say earlier+^_^+