PDA

View Full Version : Laggy/slowdown/choppiness in lobbies still?

dias_flac_0g
Jun 16, 2012, 10:19 PM
I remember quite a few people had this during the closed beta test. Sadly I still get it myself.

I know the servers got upgraded so i'm wondering if anyone else is getting this. Maybe it's just my pc.

So are any of you guys with the fancy core i7's and those fancy 600 series cards having these issues?

During gameplay (in actual quest/missions) my game runs perfectly smooth even when i'm playing with multiple players. However as soon as I go to the lobby I get a lot of sturrering/choppiness. It's not like game breaking but it's kinda annoying.

So i'm just wondering if anyone with a fancy core i7 is getting this maybe I need to upgrade.

BIG OLAF
Jun 16, 2012, 10:22 PM
Nope, no choppiness/slowdown/framerate issues.

oifjustus
Jun 16, 2012, 10:22 PM
If there is.. That's a processor issue from your pc, not a connection issue.

dias_flac_0g
Jun 16, 2012, 10:33 PM
What kinda settings are you guys running it on?

I may have to sacrifice some image quality. I currently run the game at max settings aa/on max res etc etc. I wont be able to test this out till next week though.

Resanoca
Jun 16, 2012, 11:00 PM
The issue is most likely your PC and/or connection.

Ran it on semi-high with no issues.

Aeris
Jun 17, 2012, 12:33 AM
Its mostly your gpu that can't handle rendering the game at the current settings or if you have a slow HD and you go into the lobby, you will be choppy loading up all those player models since the game depends on the hard drive and graphics card mostly than the cpu or ram.

renrinken
Jun 17, 2012, 12:36 AM
I was running on Max setting and its probably one of the smoothest MMO I played in awhile, zero input lag even in crowded lobby.

But I notice there is a issue with player displaying in lobbies. Players seemingly are invisible till your right next to them. When I was meeting up with a friend it took like 20min for us to find each other =p

Suppose I am use to MMO with absurd 50 mile field of view, so this sort of annoys me.

moorebounce
Jun 17, 2012, 12:50 AM
Actually the lag in the lobbies were really bad in the CBT. I didn't run into any of that in the POBT.

dias_flac_0g
Jun 17, 2012, 01:35 AM
Its mostly your gpu that can't handle rendering the game at the current settings or if you have a slow HD and you go into the lobby, you will be choppy loading up all those player models since the game depends on the hard drive and graphics card mostly than the cpu or ram.

Hmm interesting. For the record my pc is quite old from modern standards now days. My hard drive is like 5-6 years old my CPU is a core 2 duo e8500 and the newest thing is my graphics card a GTX460.

So i'm guessing it's either my cpu or my very slow hard drive.

Neirene
Jun 17, 2012, 01:45 AM
I had no problems loading the most crowed lobbies using a intel G850 and a radeon 6570 on maximum quality my game hardrive is a very old one too not even SATA 2 and it was still fine for me.

I think it's more of a connection issue than a computer issue itself.

KayinKento
Jun 17, 2012, 01:50 AM
I think unless you have one of those million dollar super computers, this is pretty much inevitable to happen. I don't have the best of the best type of rigs, but with an AMD 6 core overclocked to 3.1 ghz and a 3gb Radeon 6970, I still saw a few people "teleporting" short distances when they were running somewhere, but it rarely happened whether the lobby was full or just dead.

I did record some where there was some choppiness in the lobby, but meh Fraps hates me so I blame it.

MasterSpark
Jun 17, 2012, 02:06 AM
I'm on a rather wonky connection right now (21 hours to download the patch, lol), and I noticed some chugging when running through crowded lobbies before it had fully loaded all the people in it. Having the graphics settings set to either 1 or 5 didn't make any difference.

It's not much of a bother in the long run, but I hope to be moving to a better connection in a few weeks.

Vylera
Jun 17, 2012, 02:14 AM
Based on experimentation I've done with my system, I'm pretty sure Aeris' comment about gpu is probably the most accurate.

Even with an i7 2500k, I could only get around 25-40 FPS with a Radeon HD 6750, max settings 1080p. My best benchmark score was 1600~ range.

I swapped out my graphics card for an NVIDIA GTX 570, factory overclock, and my FPS shot up to 80-155 with a benchmark score of 13,000~ range, same settings.

The #1 setting that leads to heavy GPU consumption is turning on the HQ shaders. By simply turning off the shaders options, even my Radeon HD 6750 could get 200+ FPS and a 42,000 benchmark score. I didn't bother testing this with my GTX 570.

The only concern with having a good CPU is making sure that your CPU isn't the reason why your graphics card is bottlenecking and not running at near 100% potential.

I had 0 lobby lag with my GTX 570.

EDIT:

My internet connection to Tokyo, Japan:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2013277288.png

My internet connection locally:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2013278787.png

WOW.

Aeris
Jun 17, 2012, 02:29 AM
Game is more in favor for nvidia gpus than it is for radeon since its optimized for nvidia for the game, but if you had a SSD, HDD+SSD or a Ram Disk, you probably be less choppy loading player models in lobby but a standard HD is why its so choppy/shuttering loading every player model you see in lobbies depending on many you set it in options in game how many you want to load.

Vylera
Jun 17, 2012, 02:31 AM
Game is more in favor for nvidia gpus than it is for radeon since its optimized for nvidia for the game, but if you had a SSD, HDD+SSD or a Ram Disk, you probably be less choppy loading player models in lobby but a standard HD is why its so choppy/shuttering loading every player model you see in lobbies depending on many you set it in options in game how many you want to load.

I've heard of SSDs being able to start up faster, but I've never heard of SSDs being the reason why a game runs faster.

I run on standard 7200 RPM HDD with 64 MB cache and I don't suffer from choppiness.

Aeris
Jun 17, 2012, 02:34 AM
Donno why though, mine is like 7200 RPM with 16MB of cache and its very choppy until all models are loaded up even i do lower settings, its still doing the same thing.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 17, 2012, 02:35 AM
The #1 setting that leads to heavy GPU consumption is turning on the HQ textures.

are you sure bro? it seems like a lot of people are saying (as well as myself) it's HQ shaders, not textures...

textures in fact seem to have no FPS effect/benchmark effect at all, in my case. and i'm using laptop gfx.

Vylera
Jun 17, 2012, 02:36 AM
What do your other specs look like?

EDIT:

are you sure bro? it seems like a lot of people are saying (as well as myself) it's HQ shaders, not textures...

textures in fact seem to have no FPS effect/benchmark effect at all, in my case. and i'm using laptop gfx.

Excuse my typo, thanks for correcting me. I mix up the two words quite often. Fix'd in original post.

http://i.imgur.com/ffvFS.png

MasterSpark
Jun 17, 2012, 02:38 AM
I've got an SSD and I did notice stuttering in the lobby. I have, like, a 0.3 Mb/s download speed from Tokyo, though. ~300 ms ping.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 17, 2012, 02:40 AM
Excuse my typo, thanks for correcting me. I mix up the two words quite often. Fix'd in original post.

yeah turning off shaders help a lot but then everybody looks like ghosts : (

Gama
Jun 17, 2012, 05:51 AM
i still have to tinker the game settins a bit, but i was able to play with shaders on "and blur because its so much better with blur"

but i guess ill be turning the textures a bit down, and shadows aswell to get a framerate boost, "i only had some gfx lag on desert when the sandstorm started.

Garteal
Jun 17, 2012, 06:11 AM
Even with an i7 2500k, I could only get around 25-40 FPS with a Radeon HD 6750, max settings 1080p. My best benchmark score was 1600~ range.

CPU's, especially nowadays, don't have a great impact on performance. And as you've already stated, the GPU is always the first component to switch when having low framerates.
(Make sure you have a decent CPU to not bottleneck yourself)

Game is more in favor for nvidia gpus than it is for radeon since its optimized for nvidia for the game
That's right. Although decent AMD cards should do great. I've had a constant 60FPS on max settings at 1680x1050 at the event even when recording. This is with a 6870.

but if you had a SSD, HDD+SSD or a Ram Disk, you probably be less choppy loading player models in lobby but a standard HD is why its so choppy/shuttering loading every player model you see in lobbies depending on many you set it in options in game how many you want to load
This is not true. Your HDD does not even play a role here. It's the GPU that does all this stuff. People with weak GPU's will experience stutterings because the GPU is too slow to constantly dispose, load and render the textures/characters etc.
With a modern GPU you should have no problems at all.

but i guess ill be turning the textures a bit down, and shadows aswell to get a framerate boost, "i only had some gfx lag on desert when the sandstorm started.

If you have enough video memory, then you shouldn't turn down the textures as it will have a negligible effect. Turning down shadows will definitely improve your performance.

Gama
Jun 17, 2012, 06:23 AM
great, thanks for the tip garteal :)

Sirius-91
Jun 17, 2012, 06:33 AM
Hmm interesting. For the record my pc is quite old from modern standards now days. My hard drive is like 5-6 years old my CPU is a core 2 duo e8500 and the newest thing is my graphics card a GTX460.

So i'm guessing it's either my cpu or my very slow hard drive.

Change your cpu, a poor little dual core trying to use your card and process the game.

imarafan
Jun 17, 2012, 09:47 AM
I played with a 3G modem and I didn't disconnect a single time (nor had any major synch problems that I know of).

I'm actually surprised at how well things worked out (the people I played with said the same when I mentioned the modem thing).

Of course, a lot of character models in the lobby didn't load (and I had graphics set in 2) but I don't care that much about it.

plopingo
Jul 11, 2012, 02:33 AM
This is not true. Your HDD does not even play a role here. It's the GPU that does all this stuff. People with weak GPU's will experience stutterings because the GPU is too slow to constantly dispose, load and render the textures/characters etc.
With a modern GPU you should have no problems at all.

I've a SSD + I7 960@4Ghz + SLI GTX 560 ti + 12go and I have stuttering in the lobby.

I don't understand why, maybe the game engine