PDA

View Full Version : Playing this on Steam

Udonge
Jun 17, 2012, 01:56 AM
I'm just wondering if there's a way to play this game on steam as a non-steam game. When I run PSO2 through steam, it's only for the launcher so when I start the game on the launcher, steam doesn't say I'm playing PSO2 anymore. Is there a way to fix or bypass this problem because I would really like to use steam's screenshot feature.

Vashyron
Jun 17, 2012, 01:58 AM
Add the pso2.exe to Steam, then add the parameter -pso2 at the end in the target field.

Udonge
Jun 17, 2012, 02:16 AM
It still says I'm not playing anything :-(

Vashyron
Jun 17, 2012, 02:18 AM
Possibly you need to run Steam as Admin, some people fixed it by doing that.

ashley50
Jun 17, 2012, 02:18 AM
Try removing and re-adding them again.

(It's what I did anyways and it worked for me).

Udonge
Jun 17, 2012, 02:25 AM
Running steam as admin worked. Thank you very much ^^

Yamashii
Jun 17, 2012, 04:12 AM
With this fix, is the in-game community overlay supposed to work? I noticed steam displays what I'm playing, but shift+tab doesn't bring up the steam overlay. :-? It's bizarre because the overlay works with the character creator but doesn't with the actual game client.

Fusioneko
Jun 17, 2012, 04:16 AM
Game guard.

Misaki Ki
Jun 17, 2012, 06:18 AM
With this fix, is the in-game community overlay supposed to work? I noticed steam displays what I'm playing, but shift+tab doesn't bring up the steam overlay. :-? It's bizarre because the overlay works with the character creator but doesn't with the actual game client.

Overlay works, but most people have to run steam as admin. I also found it to be quite quirky. In my experience you have to let the game be in focus until more or less it shows the "shit+tab to bring up the overlay" message.

Yamashii
Jun 18, 2012, 03:48 AM
Game guard.
I'm not so sure if Gameguard is the problem. Or at least, I don't think it's insurmountable. Recall Steam distributes Rusty Hearts with Gameguard and the overlay still works on that game... :-?

Overlay works, but most people have to run steam as admin. I also found it to be quite quirky. In my experience you have to let the game be in focus until more or less it shows the "shit+tab to bring up the overlay" message.
Hmm... I guess mine's an exception then, bummer too. ._. I've ran Steam as an admin and tried to keep the window in focus, it just really doesn't want to do that for some reason. Any other suggestions? Regardless, thank you for the advice!

Fusioneko
Jun 18, 2012, 04:04 AM
Well if it's distributed with gameguard, it could be possible that steam is on some sort of exception list, and it's made to allow it's interactions? Otherwise I just blame gameguard, or any hackshield based program, I've been flagged for third party programs, for having a Windows Shell application theme'ing my computer. (I got banned for that shit.. Which was stupid. Luckily I hated the game I was playing.)

I'll try running pso2 with steam.

TerminalMontage
Jun 18, 2012, 11:59 AM
Add the pso2.exe to Steam, then add the parameter -pso2 at the end in the target field.

I want to try launching this from Steam, but I have no idea how to add a parameter or what the "target field" is.

AnnabellaRenee87
Jun 18, 2012, 12:07 PM
Here is the Step by Step guide.
With Steam not running right click the icon and hit properties (steam) go to the compatibility tab and hit the check box on the bottom that says (run as an administrator) hit OK then start Steam.
This is going to make Steam load up slower than usual the first time you launch it like this.
go to your library tab and add pso2.exe.
Once added to your library edit the name to "Phantasy Star Online 2" then add -pso2 to the end of the pathch (it should look like c:\program files\sega\phantasystaronline2\pso2.exe -pso2 it may have quotes "" around the path which is fine but make it more like this "c:\program files\sega\phantasystaronline2\pso2.exe" -pso2)

Start PSO from Steam. This has worked on all the PCs I have setup.

TerminalMontage
Jun 18, 2012, 12:16 PM
Excellent I got it, thanks!

AnnabellaRenee87
Jun 18, 2012, 01:12 PM
And an added tidbit, if you get errors in game when starting with steam its because your client may be out of date, keep the normal PSO2 launcher on your desktop and use it to update the client, once updated you close the launcher then launch using steam, tada, everything works.

LokinModar
Jun 24, 2012, 10:09 PM
I managed to get steam to launch the game launcher/updater and then the game itself through the launcher after running steam as admin. The overlay works flawllesly.

i have the installed version of PSO2 (the original from closed beta).

kiwimisty7
Jun 24, 2012, 10:39 PM
Im lost what is stream?

riezahughes
Jun 24, 2012, 11:08 PM
It's really strange that some people are having problems. I've got none at all with running it through steam.

BahnKnakyu
Jun 25, 2012, 12:31 AM
Im lost what is stream?

Read the thread title.

Lintor
Jun 25, 2012, 01:52 AM
In generally works better, with the chain launching, if Steam detects it itself from its auto suggestion list.
Launching from steam works perfectly for me in this case, but games I've manually added the launcher its 50/50. Steam knows about MMOs and IS built for chain launching, and Gameguard is incompetent enough to ignore an obvious DX/GL hook.

Demon-
Jun 25, 2012, 06:57 AM
What does -pso2 do?

H3Av3NS PUNISH3R
Jun 25, 2012, 09:17 AM
I have ran Stream as an administrator and it still doesn't seem to work. Every time I input the proper path for the target, nothing changes. My pso.exe is located in another folder after the "phantasystaronline2" part. I even rearranged my path just to look like the one mentioned, but it still didn't change anything. Anyone else has any more suggestions? :(

LeoSan
Sep 11, 2012, 01:58 AM
when I put steam.exe as admin I get this ugly warning saying that I shouldn't use windows compatibility settings with steam since it was designed specifically for windows. or something like that.

When I ran it with the -pso2 I wouldn't get the overlay anyway. And lately when I tried running with the -pso2 line and I would get a BSOD :-o every time

I'm trying now disregarding the steam warning and with the admin rights on steam.exe to see if my computer doesn't crash.

Edit: PC didn't BSOD this time, but pso2.exe did crash.
After that I gave admin permissions to pso2.exe aswell and added a space between the "url" and the "-pso2", the game didn't crash, it launched, on steam I can see myself as "in non steam game: Phantasy Star Online 2" but there's no trace of the Steam overlay, and the opening cinematic is bugged and it won't play, will remain black until I press space to send the game to the press enter screen.

It's weird how this one friend from steam just added pso2.exe and just like that it worked and he was able to take a bunch of screenshots and post them in his profile.

Anyone got the STEAM ID of the non-steam Phantasy Star Online 2 game so I can create the folder and put the screenshots taken from the game itself on steam by the bootleg way of pasting them in the steam screenshot folder?

The Walrus
Sep 11, 2012, 02:06 AM
Kinda sorta impossible for the game to have a Steam ID since it's not a Steam game as far as I know :/

If you have a desktop shortcut for it just add the desktop shortcut as the non-steam game. It's worked for me so far.