PDA

View Full Version : Paypal the killer of dreams ~_~

Meyfei
Jun 17, 2012, 12:51 PM
So here i am thinking of buying Dungeon defenders and a sub to a game. However i do some currency conversion and such.

Dungeon Defenders: 14.99 USD -> $15.32 Canadian

Tibia 1 month sub: 7.45 Euro -> $9.63 Canadian

the total is: 24.95
i could get that... OH but wait, paypal wants me to thank them for a service... -$1.00

couldnt they just settle for the 5cents?

Oh yeah, the problem is I can buy a 25$ prepaid, but taxes apply OHBOY! and it comes to 27$.
Now since it's a prepaid i cant just add to it, and if i want more i'd have to buy a 50$ card again more tax gets added(13%).

Why cant they just be easy on us all and have a 30$ card or something -.-

Sinue_v2
Jun 17, 2012, 05:25 PM
Huh, I use a Visa debit card issued by my local credit union. I've never been charged for currency exchanges, transferring funds (I only keep around $100 in the account at any time), and if I overdraft it simply denies the transaction rather than charging me. The only time I'm ever charged anything on it is when I use an ATM, but since everyone takes Visa, I almost never have to carry cash on me and can avoid that fee.

Why don't you shop around your area and see if you can find a bank or credit union which can issue you a debit card under similar terms?

Meyfei
Jun 17, 2012, 09:56 PM
i've never really looked into it. i figure as usual i'd get scammed. one company nearby always tried soaking us for transactions ~_~ so i try avoiding them unless its prepaid.

Once i tried resubbing for PC/PS2 PSU and the transaction got denied because the card company withdrew a weekly charge and i was left without a sub, oh and a 3 week wait till the funds got put back on the card/card got unlocked -.- ended up buying NX on mabinogi with perfect ease afterwards.

What possibilities are there? that you know of i could ask about or try. If anything i want freedom and convenience, and ofcourse no one draining my card (assuming i had money in it) every week without me knowing, hell even with me knowing.

Edit: by "us" and the resubbing for PSU i was using the card my dad had. With his permissions xD

Oh yeah i also thought since they both accept visa right? i could just try using the card itself.

Edit2: i just re-read, so its a visa-based bank card in a sense?

Ketchup345
Jun 17, 2012, 10:15 PM
He's talking about a Debit Card, so yes, basically a Visa Bank-Card. Most places it works just like a Visa branded credit card. It is attached to (usually) your checking account, so as long as you have enough money there, you can use it. It may also be used to withdraw money from your account at an ATM (depending on where you get the card, there may be a fee for withdrawing, but usually at the bank/credit union or within a "partner network" will be free).

Be sure to check the different Debit Card conditions though, some may be free, others charge you each month unless you meet some criteria. Some criteria that I've seen are free with direct deposit, or free as long as you use it 10 times per month.

Meyfei
Jun 17, 2012, 11:52 PM
oh ok i'll take a look into that tomorrow. Thanks xD

HeartBreak301
Jun 18, 2012, 12:06 AM
I've got a Master Card debit card through my local bank, just a reloadable debit card. The only things I use it for are when I run out of cash and for online purchases. The fees that they actually have are pretty generous as well, no minimum use crap or anything, just a $2 fee when I load money on to it. I can't overdraft either since it's not attached to any account, it just denies my purchase.