PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who feels PSO2 is missing something?

Subject Delta
Jun 17, 2012, 06:43 PM
I have played PSO2 Alpha on and when I play it I enjoy it to an extent but it gives me a feeling of emptiness. Hopefully it changes with release.

ashley50
Jun 17, 2012, 06:44 PM
What would that be?

AlMcFly
Jun 17, 2012, 06:45 PM
I'll tell you what is wrong with the game. The servers aren't up :*(

Ryoten
Jun 17, 2012, 06:50 PM
I'll tell you what is wrong with the game. The servers aren't up :*(

lol agreed. But its missing one more thing....more dance moves.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i226/Corbrenton/thebestdance1.gif

Priest
Jun 17, 2012, 06:51 PM
I love the game but I do get that feeling. I just know that this is the beginning and with all the new content we'll see each month, the game will stay interesting. I think gameplay wise, the worst thing is that quests don't feel like quests at all, you don't even have to fight anything most of the time, just run to the end. I'd like to see some areas with actual doors you have to open.

Vylera
Jun 17, 2012, 06:51 PM
That is the thing I don't know what it is. Maybe, it is I just am getting to old to play games and I am growing out of them. I just don't have the same feeling I had when I played PSO and PSU.

Language barrier...?

I don't like not being able to understand the matter board story and 90% of the quest text.

My problem is that I can understand SPOKEN Japanese, but my kanji library is slim to none.

I feel the game is empty because I don't understand what I'm doing or why I'm doing it. However, I still have crap loads of fun with the gameplay.

~Inu~
Jun 17, 2012, 06:53 PM
It's only a Beta, and will improve itself soon.
Little early to pass full judgement on it.
Until then, I want to dance with Legion.

AlMcFly
Jun 17, 2012, 07:00 PM
I think gameplay wise, the worst thing is that quests don't feel like quests at all, you don't even have to fight anything most of the time, just run to the end. I'd like to see some areas with actual doors you have to open.

This is original PSO style gameplay really. It kept fans for years :D

The real heart of PSO imho was in the large scale boss battles that required planned teamwork.

Edit: That and the awesome community the game attracts.

Ezodagrom
Jun 17, 2012, 07:05 PM
I love the game but I do get that feeling. I just know that this is the beginning and with all the new content we'll see each month, the game will stay interesting. I think gameplay wise, the worst thing is that quests don't feel like quests at all, you don't even have to fight anything most of the time, just run to the end. I'd like to see some areas with actual doors you have to open.
While the game doesn't force players to fight random groups of enemies, it does encourage exploration and fighting enemies. By avoiding fighting enemies during quests you're missing on exp, drops, client orders objectives, PSE/the possibility of a PSE Burst during multi-party areas, lower rank by the end of the quest, and so on.

There's also the client orders to unlock more quests or areas, those need the player to S rank a quest in a time limit, but it's needed kill enemies during the quest to get the S rank, and to find enemies you have to explore a bit. If you just rush to the end, you get a lower rank.

Dragwind
Jun 17, 2012, 07:06 PM
I had this feeling at first in the beginning of CBT, but I figured out what it was.

1. Language barrier- It strips away a certain level of ease and comfort, and adds just a tinge of frustration at times which pulls you away from potential immersion.

2. Story and dialogue- This can be a big one for some. As stated in #1, the language barrier makes this less comfortable not knowing exactly what's going on as it happens.

3. Content, content, content. We're still in beta. They have a whole lot more stuff ready for us, but we're not going to get to sample all of it right away. I'm sure once the game officially launches there will be a whole lot more to do and explore. Remember, we are merely in a testing phase. The content, it will come.

Coatl
Jun 17, 2012, 07:07 PM
But PSO2 is nothing like PSO's gameplay..

Anyway, the only thing that made PSO2 less enjoyable for me was the english patch not working. Everything else is fine. :3

With clans being added and more zones being open to us I believe there won't really be anything "missing."

AlMcFly
Jun 17, 2012, 07:14 PM
But PSO2 is nothing like PSO's gameplay..

I disagree. If you can recall, most of the stages in PSO that didn't have a boss fight were just running/surviving against mob onslaughts until we reach the end. Some stages had puzzles, but most just put up barriers until a set of mobs were defeated.

Faiyez
Jun 17, 2012, 07:16 PM
TBH, I was already pretty bored with it halfway through the closed beta and ended up not reaching lv20 =/

It's not the game's fault, though. I understand how TC feels.

Fujiko
Jun 17, 2012, 07:20 PM
What is missing for me is the PSO style free quest system. How you could just make a game and clear Forest 1 - Ruins 3.

I know they have free explore forest, cave, etc but you still have to load them and it feels disconnected instead of you exploring deeper and deeper, into a mysterious planet. Eventually finding the ultimate evil Dark Falz, who is responsible for everything.

Photon chairs in the lobby can go a long way to helping too.... make it happen SEGA! Overall I love the game and can't wait til the servers are up!

AlMcFly
Jun 17, 2012, 07:21 PM
Photon chairs in the lobby can go a long way to helping too.... make it happen SEGA! Overall I love the game and can't wait til the servers are up!

OMG, I forgot to add this in the thread asking what gear we would want.

Coatl
Jun 17, 2012, 07:22 PM
I disagree. If you can recall, most of the stages in PSO that didn't have a boss fight were just running/surviving against mob onslaughts until we reach the end. Some stages had puzzles, but most just put up barriers until a set of mobs were defeated.

Well yes, if you broaden it up then PSO's and PSO2's objective's in combat are similar. But in PSO, you are pretty stationary most of the time while in PSO2 the battles are very dynamic.

The strageties are different between the games, and it makes the gameplay feel completely different. I love playing PSO and PSO2 but I'd be lying to myself if I said they felt similar gameplay-wise.

Dragwind
Jun 17, 2012, 07:22 PM
Oh yes, that's what it's missing to feel like it's actually PSO related-

[spoiler-box]photon chairs.[/spoiler-box]

Ifrian-x
Jun 17, 2012, 07:23 PM
Well, i did not get much into it during the beta because i knew the chars were going to be erased and i absolutely hate to restart my games.

I guess i am waiting to see if EU/US/JP servers will be all together like they were on PSO so i can play the game without fear of losing everything and having to restart.

Coatl
Jun 17, 2012, 07:24 PM
Oh yes, that's what it's missing to feel like it's actually PSO related-

[spoiler-box]photon chairs.[/spoiler-box]

So that's what it was..
That what would make this MMO pefect. ^^;

mctastee
Jun 17, 2012, 07:25 PM
Edit: That and the awesome community the game attracts.

QFT. I have played many online games and PSO, by far, has the best community. In the end community is a big factor in how long I keep playing an online game.

NoiseHERO
Jun 17, 2012, 07:25 PM
Wait you only played the alpha version? D:

I THINK I know what OP is thinking... but for me it feels more like, there's so many things that could fill in this game. ESPECIALLY now that it's not a port of a dreamcast or PS2 game. But a PC game, or a modern game in general that can keep growing even bigger.

Once people stop using the past games as an example or a comparison to how you see this game, that is.. seeing PSO2 as a static game and what you see is what you get.

You'll stop worrying about negatives and realize there's nowhere to go but up. As long as SEGA is smart enough, but from the way they talk about their own product, I think that's what they're trying to tell us this time: "Don't worry, we won't fuck it up. n_n;;"

SStrikerR
Jun 17, 2012, 08:51 PM
The real heart of PSO imho was in the large scale boss battles that required planned teamwork.

Which PSO were you playing, exactly? After you had surpassed the minimum level requirements for each difficulty, the bosses pretty much laid down and died right away...

futamieriko
Jun 17, 2012, 09:05 PM
I think the environments have something to do with it, with the areas in PSO2 feeling a little less immersive than the ones in PSO. It's hard to put my finger on why exactly, but the areas in PSO2 feel a little generic. Still, the game overall feels like a pretty big upgrade and there's a lot of potential for them to experiment with as the game goes on. I'm especially loving the story chapters and characters, as well as being able to actually party with my favorite NPCs.

lostinseganet
Jun 17, 2012, 09:13 PM
It is missing 16 player coop, the ability to jump server to server, world wide servers that all players can play with all players....and conservative/practical clothing for women who want to fight in respectable armor...It's also lacking a booty slider option. oh and in game henshin for men and women.

LuneFox
Jun 17, 2012, 09:18 PM
PSO2's missing Yuji Naka.

moorebounce
Jun 17, 2012, 09:31 PM
Which PSO were you playing, exactly? After you had surpassed the minimum level requirements for each difficulty, the bosses pretty much laid down and died right away...

Spoken like someone who never play the Ultimate level in PSO. Maybe in the forest but after that you got your ass handed to you once you hit the caves w/o a plan or a team to help you. You must not have ran into a room full of Ob Lilies and Mil lilies.

PSO2's missing Yuji Naka.

I thought I was the only one that felt that way.

Vintasticvin
Jun 17, 2012, 09:33 PM
It's only a Beta, and will improve itself soon.
Little early to pass full judgement on it.
Until then, I want to dance with Legion.

What this guy said and chill out y'all really do need to its in its testing stages

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 17, 2012, 10:59 PM
you getting old man. you growing up. that's what i think at least. pso2 ain't perfect but for me it certainly comes close.

Nobo
Jun 17, 2012, 11:07 PM
What it's missing is a monthly fee :beer:

Zaix
Jun 17, 2012, 11:07 PM
What it's missing is a monthly fee :beer:

That is the one thing this game is missing that the others had alright.

goldwing
Jun 17, 2012, 11:27 PM
I felt something was missing to but only for pre open. Im hopeing i wont get this feeling again. Maybe u miss pso way more when u play???

drmcst45
Jun 17, 2012, 11:42 PM
I know what's missing - English language. Without it I will not be able to fully enjoy the adventure. I'm sure i'll miss key mission/items and eventually quit playing altogether but i'll enjoy this game for the first month or so then just sit back and hope for English support

Siatome
Jun 18, 2012, 01:10 AM
It's missing the childlike sense of wonder you had at 12 years old when the original was released.
You have since grown stale and jaded and your hope and imagination have withered to a husk of their former selves.
There is nothing new under the sun and now you know it, like the cold inevitable clock of life, ticking past you.

Same reason you didn't like the prequel trilogy of star wars actually.

or it could be the photon chairs!

Lumir
Jun 18, 2012, 01:23 AM
It's missing the childlike sense of wonder you had at 12 years old when the original was released.
You have since grown stale and jaded and your hope and imagination have withered to a husk of their former selves.
There is nothing new under the sun and now you know it, like the cold inevitable clock of life, ticking past you.

Same reason you didn't like the prequel trilogy of star wars actually.

or it could be the photon chairs!

Some people never lose that imagination, sense of wonder (sometime it gets stronger as you age), and can continually enjoy "the same thing under the sun" because they still have them. For me I feel only one thing is missing and other then that a whole lot has been added.

Whats missing? PHOTON CHAIRS!

BTW I enjoyed the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

skuld01
Jun 18, 2012, 01:27 AM
I feel the lack of team combination. As you always can go solo, in many cases.

Siatome
Jun 18, 2012, 01:28 AM
Some people never lose that imagination, sense of wonder (sometime it gets stronger as you age), and can continually enjoy "the same thing under the sun" because they still have them. For me I feel only one thing is missing and other then that a whole lot has been added.

Whats missing? PHOTON CHAIRS!

BTW I enjoyed the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

Lol me too XP

MiaRitz
Jun 18, 2012, 01:28 AM
PSO2's only missing me playing it right now.

Aeris
Jun 18, 2012, 01:49 AM
PSO2's only missing me playing it right now.

Lol this made me laugh but i can wait for the days until OB starts.

Zipzo
Jun 18, 2012, 02:15 AM
Spoken like someone who never play the Ultimate level in PSO. Maybe in the forest but after that you got your ass handed to you once you hit the caves w/o a plan or a team to help you. You must not have ran into a room full of Ob Lilies and Mil lilies.Please tell me you're joking. Did you even play PSO?

Episodes 1, 2, and 4 were all entirely solo-able online in ultimate mode. Sure, it wasn't the most efficient way to do it because health pools were high but it was far from impossible.

Fujiko
Jun 18, 2012, 02:59 AM
Please tell me you're joking. Did you even play PSO?

Episodes 1, 2, and 4 were all entirely solo-able online in ultimate mode. Sure, it wasn't the most efficient way to do it because health pools were high but it was far from impossible.

Ultimate was hard on Dreamcast. You couldn't hit or do enough damage until you found a V2 rare such as a red weapon.

Unless you had a force spamming debuffs on monsters and buffing you, even then it was constant misses until you found that V2 item.

Wasn't until GCN version did they nerf Ultimate into the ground.

EvilMag
Jun 18, 2012, 03:14 AM
Ultimate Ruins was a nightmare for RAcaseal. Even with a 40%+ Dark Red Handgun, you won't do much damage. The only way for them to barely go though ruins is too spam the hell out of S-Rank specials to hope you land J/Z on the enemies. But since you can only get S-ranks from C-mode online it doesn't really help much if you are offline only.

Also red boxes don't exist in v2.

Leica
Jun 18, 2012, 03:20 AM
I kinda wish the town/lobby could be larger and more detailed. It just feels a little cramped for an online game. I guess since it's just the beginning, different areas can be added later.

Besides that I can't think of much else. PSO2 is just what I expected it to be so far. ^^

youcantcatchtheblue
Jun 18, 2012, 03:45 AM
Content is the only thing I feel is lacking... I won't be surprised if at launch we only get double the content we currently have.... but I really hope I'm wrong and that Sega has tons and tons of amazing areas and bosses we've never seen before.

SolRiver
Jun 18, 2012, 04:15 AM
I am betting it is the language barrier like a few other have mentioned.

Most people don't understand everything that is going on it, and I won't be surprised someone think something doesn't exist purely because he/she can't read it.

AlMcFly
Jun 18, 2012, 05:52 AM
Ultimate was hard on Dreamcast. You couldn't hit or do enough damage until you found a V2 rare such as a red weapon.

Unless you had a force spamming debuffs on monsters and buffing you, even then it was constant misses until you found that V2 item.

Wasn't until GCN version did they nerf Ultimate into the ground.

This +1. Anyone who could solo all the ultimate bosses didn't play original PSO. People cried to make the game easier, then they mock the game because they made it easier. Can't please everyone :)

Gama
Jun 18, 2012, 06:30 AM
pso v2 on the dc, ultimate was crazy... all i could do on forest was kill some mobs and then die because i already wasted all of my mates... it was really hard i did little damage.

it was an awesome challenge though...

Porkmaster
Jun 18, 2012, 06:48 AM
Nope, this game isn't missing anything. Compared to Diablo III, PSO2 is the best game on the planet, and this is coming from a guy who has purchased every Blizzard title to date and played WoW for 6 years. Blizzard fucked up hard. Can't wait til Open Beta for PSO2.

SolRiver
Jun 18, 2012, 07:14 AM
I remember leveling in ultimate forest at like lv40ish (offline, which is easier) with a mag of mostly ata and a handgun that drain hp (because all class can use handgun, and hp drain isnt effected hy def and atp). I was able to kill the dragon, but i wouldn't try anything beyond that... don't quite remember why.

I still remember how people would quit on me for ultimate mode seabed... that was fun. Completely invisible shino-beat 1 shotting from the back (made the water reflection all such great mechanic).

Getting a little off-topic...

Ryudo
Jun 18, 2012, 07:47 AM
This +1. Anyone who could solo all the ultimate bosses didn't play original PSO. People cried to make the game easier, then they mock the game because they made it easier. Can't please everyone :)

It was pretty piss easy to solo as a humar or hunewearl, once you had enough hp to survive dark falz' slash attack you could solo all the bosses no problem since you had near infinite resta

I dont think PSO2 is missing anything other than an attachment to your character and items because they've been deleting the data so far

Tag_Dog
Jun 18, 2012, 07:51 AM
Well, it's missing the doors from the first game.

Gama
Jun 18, 2012, 07:52 AM
i think they didnt add the doors since its easyer to fit those "shield" things on random fields.

darkante
Jun 18, 2012, 08:46 AM
Missing...hmm controlling some vehicles would be nice.
Space battles too.

Oh yeah, areas with themes similiar to Ruins.
Gotta love the horror.

Pyrii
Jun 18, 2012, 08:50 AM
Well, it's missing the doors from the first game.

Well it really more of a limitation of the game back then. PSU used fences with more organic fields. This is just further refinement.

Remember we aren't on Ragol anymore. Things don't have to be EXACTLY the same. We can evolve from PSO.

Shirai
Jun 18, 2012, 08:51 AM
It's missing a beach map.

Hopefully overtime there will be one, because it needs annoying flies.

Everyone loves dem Gees.

Gama
Jun 18, 2012, 08:54 AM
It's missing a beach map.

Hopefully overtime there will be one, because it needs annoying flies.

Everyone loves dem Gees.

blasphemy!!!!!

EvilMag
Jun 18, 2012, 09:00 AM
PSO2 is missing a certain HP whore worm...

Pyrii
Jun 18, 2012, 09:02 AM
PSO2 is missing a certain HP whore worm...

De Rol Le :3 He's always a pain to take down. Even more so in PSU (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pyrii/3281346017/in/set-72157613822628515) (uglier too)

Ezodagrom
Jun 18, 2012, 09:06 AM
So far the only thing I feel is missing from PSO2 is a more closed area (like some sort of facility or mechanical area), an area like this is bound to be added to the game eventually though. :P
Other than that I'm pretty happy with the game so far.

Rhypht
Jun 18, 2012, 09:10 AM
While I don't really see that it's missing anything, I think that a big reason that it may not 'feel' as much like PSO1 is because you're not able to just go out into the wild without being on some kind of quest. In the first game, you were able to just warp to the planet surface and just run the entire game basically, all just for fun and without any real time constraint or objective. I know that this is one point that I've felt after playing the betas. Other than that though, I really love the game, and I can't complain about anything because it's too amazing!

Ezodagrom
Jun 18, 2012, 09:14 AM
While I don't really see that it's missing anything, I think that a big reason that it may not 'feel' as much like PSO1 is because you're not able to just go out into the wild without being on some kind of quest. In the first game, you were able to just warp to the planet surface and just run the entire game basically, all just for fun and without any real time constraint or objective. I know that this is one point that I've felt after playing the betas. Other than that though, I really love the game, and I can't complain about anything because it's too amazing!
Well, you can actually do that in PSO2 with the free fields. They have to be unlocked through questing first though.

Pyrii
Jun 18, 2012, 09:16 AM

You can get missions which gives you a free pass to the forest/caves/desert after completing all the previous quests for an area. Yes you don't get it from the moment you start, but it's there.

Rhypht
Jun 18, 2012, 09:18 AM
Actually yes I do know what you're talking about, that's the closest you can get to the original. I forgot about those, thanks!

GrandTickler
Jun 18, 2012, 09:20 AM
the only thing that feels missing for me is a better worked out skillbar, right now the differences u get from adding most passive skills are so little u dont even notice them

Revlis-Desilver
Jun 18, 2012, 10:46 AM
IMHO I dont think that anything is missing its PSO2 not PSO, we have evolved from the original. Like a couple of other people said when the game is officially realesed then we can give it a fair judgement but I'm sure we can all agree that, it's a hell of a lot better than PSU was. :)

Spellbinder
Jun 18, 2012, 11:01 AM
So far the only thing I feel is missing from PSO2 is a more closed area (like some sort of facility or mechanical area), an area like this is bound to be added to the game eventually though. :P
Other than that I'm pretty happy with the game so far.

Having seen the secret video at the second PSO2 fan briefing. I can assure you it's coming. :)

BIG OLAF
Jun 18, 2012, 11:30 AM
It's missing beachwear outfits, goddamn it.

KatsujinkenKik
Jun 18, 2012, 11:37 AM
I can't imagine they'd forget to put in something as essential as beachwear outfits.

BIG OLAF
Jun 18, 2012, 11:43 AM
No worries, there will be some sometime in the future (or something equal to them).

KatsujinkenKik
Jun 18, 2012, 11:46 AM
Bondage leather tights? Body bandage wrappings?

...I should stop there.

BIG OLAF
Jun 18, 2012, 11:49 AM
Don't tease me.

Pyrii
Jun 18, 2012, 12:01 PM
We can only hope the Mankini never surfaces.

darkante
Jun 18, 2012, 12:07 PM
Manwhore time!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6rkXGikuNA

Crimson Exile
Jun 18, 2012, 12:08 PM
IMHO I dont think that anything is missing its PSO2 not PSO, we have evolved from the original. Like a couple of other people said when the game is officially realesed then we can give it a fair judgement but I'm sure we can all agree that, it's a hell of a lot better than PSU was. :)

!00% agree with you.^^

Finalzone
Jun 18, 2012, 12:35 PM
Remember people
PSO2 is still in beta stage.
Full contents are not unlocked yet.

NoiseHERO
Jun 18, 2012, 12:46 PM
Manwhore time! Dance of the Manwhore - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6rkXGikuNA)

Ugh, why'd you remind me of the Manwhore?

Now I have too many ideas, some that I shall use to tease Japanese girls.

darkante
Jun 18, 2012, 01:48 PM
And so it begins..mouahaha!

GrandTickler
Jun 18, 2012, 02:07 PM
Having seen the secret video at the second PSO2 fan briefing. I can assure you it's coming. :)

awesome :P is this secret video on youtube?

Spellbinder
Jun 18, 2012, 02:11 PM
awesome :P is this secret video on youtube?

If someone at the briefing was sneaky with their camera phone maybe. I never looked for it. :o

The only video I took was on my ipod of the rappy walking around the room... because rappy is good. :)

Enforcer MKV
Jun 18, 2012, 02:20 PM
Ugh, why'd you remind me of the Manwhore?

Now I have too many ideas, some that I shall use to tease Japanese girls.

Don't do it Rock, don't do it!

What would your waifu think?

Xieveral
Jun 18, 2012, 02:26 PM
Music.

PSO2's music is good but its really hit and miss to me. Some tracks give me that feeling of awe and excitement that PSO did. Others sound like I could have heard before it in another game or some cheesy anime.

But we've only heard a small portion so far. There's still potential for that amazing music.

Neirene
Jun 18, 2012, 02:30 PM
The music is very diferent from the old games but from time to time I can hear little bits from instruments or styles used in the previous games particularly Episode III but are very very hard to notice yet so far I like very much the music of the game yet sometimes I think it's a little bit slow or tooo peaceful.

NoiseHERO
Jun 18, 2012, 02:51 PM
PSO's music wasn't that genius either. It just had the few gem tracks that made you say "YEAH PSO'S MUSIC IS AWESOME." And they were mostly in episode 2 and 3. ( I HATE episode 1's music )

It seems PSZ tried to mimmic the general feel of PSO's music... since fans make such a big ass deal about it, PSO2 seems to be doing the same thing, or I'd word it as "making the same mistake". But in my opinion they're bringing back the feel from the wrong parts of PSO's soundtrack, the boring naggy(even though atmospheric) parts. D:

Of course it's the fan's faults.

Call me when this game starts sounding more like episode 2, other than just using those ear screeching synths to force nostalgia. D:

BIG OLAF
Jun 18, 2012, 02:53 PM
I can hear a tiny bit of PSO influence in PSO2's music, but nothing that would make them similar. So far, I think PSO2's tracks are all pretty brilliant, even if a couple of them are a bit boring after a few minutes.

Better than PSU's tracks, though! Most of those were just utterly un-listenable.

Pyrii
Jun 18, 2012, 02:54 PM
Music.

PSO2's music is good but its really hit and miss to me. Some tracks give me that feeling of awe and excitement that PSO did. Others sound like I could have heard before it in another game or some cheesy anime.

But we've only heard a small portion so far. There's still potential for that amazing music.

I think the main problem with the music is because the action can be fast paced and comes in short bursts sometimes, by the time the music has "Risen", the action can be over and by the time it "Relaxes" you're starting another fight, it can make the mood very uppy-downy. So yeah, the dynamic system needs some tweaking eventually.

And considering the grinding nature of the game, it can start to get repetitive eventually so some variety would help, but every field in forest uses the same music.

I still miss the Pioneer 2 theme. It just had that exciting feel to it. I do still frequently listen to the PSO1-4 soundtrack.

darkante
Jun 18, 2012, 03:00 PM
Personally in PSO only song i really disliked were Caves.
So drab..
Other then that, i liked most. Episode IV is cool too.

PSU i admit were shit. So few songs i liked.

moorebounce
Jun 18, 2012, 03:05 PM
The "missing something" feeling is created by you thinking the game isn't complete seeing it's still in the testing phase and you thinking Sega must be holding out.

Randomness
Jun 18, 2012, 03:07 PM
Actually yes I do know what you're talking about, that's the closest you can get to the original. I forgot about those, thanks!

It's pretty damned close, all things considered. The only real difference is how you select where to go.

Well, and that the post-boss warp doesn't lead to the next area.

Gama
Jun 18, 2012, 03:14 PM
this is probbly the only song me and my sister enjoyed on psu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbGUCwUb_lw

ill eventually end up turning the bgm off and turning winamp on...

ShadowDragon28
Jun 18, 2012, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Revlis-Desilver
IMHO I dont think that anything is missing its PSO2 not PSO, we have evolved from the original. Like a couple of other people said when the game is officially realesed then we can give it a fair judgement but I'm sure we can all agree that, it's a hell of a lot better than PSU was.
Agreed. IMO the music is brilliant and very in-line with some the best music in PSO, the battle theme on Lilipa is frakking fantastic.

FerrPSO
Jun 18, 2012, 03:51 PM
PSO's music wasn't that genius either. It just had the few gem tracks that made you say "YEAH PSO'S MUSIC IS AWESOME." And they were mostly in episode 2 and 3. ( I HATE episode 1's music )

Ruins was EPIC man! Also the last Dark Falz theme (the Hard version).

Anyways I think music in PSO2 is awesome. Maybe its even more atmospheric than PSO1, I have yet to hear a zone with a more melodic style like Ruins or Seabed, so that could be a problem for some people.

I just want some more diversity in it, it needs songs with more rhythms and varied synths, maybe with the season lobbies

Im the only one who liked a lot this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N37F81MkGv4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N37F81MkGv4

DreXxiN
Jun 18, 2012, 04:23 PM
You're missing your rose-tinted glasses that you had when younger that encompassed all the nostalgia you feel and remember from the old titles.

At least that is my theory on it and something I've had to learn to accept :(. Let's hope that PSO2 proves me wrong!

WarSong
Jun 18, 2012, 04:32 PM
I think what well all realized right away compared to PSO and PSZero was opening our inventory and there not being a happy shiny mag to greet us. Even in PSU we at least had Pete offline and our PMs online.

Gama
Jun 18, 2012, 04:32 PM
Ruins was EPIC man! Also the last Dark Falz theme (the Hard version).

Anyways I think music in PSO2 is awesome. Maybe its even more atmospheric than PSO1, I have yet to hear a zone with a more melodic style like Ruins or Seabed, so that could be a problem for some people.

I just want some more diversity in it, it needs songs with more rhythms and varied synths, maybe with the season lobbies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N37F81MkGv4

adicting isnt it?

NoiseHERO
Jun 18, 2012, 04:52 PM
You're missing your rose-tinted glasses that you had when younger that encompassed all the nostalgia you feel and remember from the old titles.

At least that is my theory on it and something I've had to learn to accept :(. Let's hope that PSO2 proves me wrong!

But I'm not even hardcore on PSO obsession, I'm more PSU. D:

Music is Music. D:

Fujiko
Jun 18, 2012, 05:00 PM

I love the Halloween themed music. I also liked all of PSO's music except the caves and the easter theme. Those songs always put me to sleep.

I also like the entire Episode 1 & 2 Premium Arrange and Phantasy Star Sound Collection.

Coatl
Jun 18, 2012, 05:54 PM
Well PSO2's sound track isn't all that great..
The boss theme is just terrible. :/

Can anyone honestly say they could listen to this outside of the game? >.>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DKu3Dqta4Y

Shadownami92
Jun 18, 2012, 05:56 PM
I thought PSO had great music. Like not in the sense of it being like "YEAH!!! THIS IS AWESOME"

But it fit the game incredibly well, with all the echoey-ness and space whales and stuff. It was sort of calming, very spacey. I love relaxing music and at the time the music wasn't something you heard in many games. Sometimes I get tired of the generic orchestral epic and whatnot.

I enjoyed all the synthiness and the ambiance. At the same time though the music held enough of a melody that I would remember the music. I would normally hum a lot of PSO music when walking around. For some reason that didn't happen with games like PSU.

One thing I would like in some later areas, is some underground levels. Sometimes I like the more enclosed spaces, and some areas in the Mines could feel claustrophobic. Same with some of the longer areas of the Ruins, made it that much better I guess when you would get to the wider open areas. That's my personal opinion though. There was sort of an excitement of feeling like your going deeper and deeper into the planet, which each part of a level being another payer deeper.

Actually, one game that sort of captures that feel a little is Spiral Knights, since after each level you take an elevator down. Would be fun to have something like that in PSO2.

And no, I wouldn't listen to that, I would listen to this though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpyLdwfC5Ew

Zaix
Jun 18, 2012, 05:59 PM

The thing is, we don't have any levels like the ruins or seabeds yet, so of course we don't have music like it yet.

Ezodagrom
Jun 18, 2012, 06:22 PM
About the PSO2 music, according to the english credits, the PSO2 music composers are Hideaki Kobayashi, Kenichi Tokoi and Tadashi Kinukawa.

Some of their most notable tracks that I can think of are these:

Hideaki Kobayashi:

PSO - Forest calm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCvuF0ftKf0) and battle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSnJW7xnCzQ), Dragon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wzHA3QjmOk), Ruins calm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJvJUNNpH6Q) and battle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irqogIOQ8vk), Dark Falz (pray (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1gTkJgsF4c) and cry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAFVrBqUtLw)), Temple calm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9UmpPeZx0U) and battle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2SUkPmQVxk), Spaceship calm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMjxrCovPGs) and battle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_kUlf-A870), Gol Dragon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oMeCSn3CTE), Seabed calm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y9Vd4eaIdQ) and battle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv27g5NFtv4), Olga Flow (feather (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3AdN80WKXw) and blade (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx2SeunY7S4)).
PSO Episode 3 - IDOLA the Strange Fruits (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ6ZW5wv13A).
PSU - Rozenom Line Milate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Imi9eSc2Jg), Abandoned City Mellvore (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH3lWvYGvSk), Clyez Linear Line (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQG9IPAu2CA), RELICS Sleep (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x100-M4yP18), RELICS Awakening (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7yhZJ0peow), Deep (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOiB8_XcqHs).
Sonic 06 - Pretty much every boss music.
Sonic Unleashed - Boss Battle Day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnckNqj_lxo), Boss Battle Night (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYx5zB7eHrU), VS Egg Dragoon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4anO8HNTio), VS Dark Gaia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7vQ99W_QW0).
PS Zero - Alot of music, I'm not really familiar with the PSZ music, and there's too many from him to check. :>
Sonic Colours - Nega Wisp Armor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XjXlqwEA8A)Kenichi Tokoi:

Sonic Adventure - Lost World 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZA8odmWbi8), Final Egg 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajP_1dCA7cw), Perfect Chaos Revival (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkx6bPEPzlM).
Sonic Advance 3 - Cyber Track Act 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6WWraBbP30), 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kJvOAoiP0M), 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xZJE4B4uK8) and Map (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfEGySbkKFw).
PSO Episode 3 - A few tracks and re-arrangements.
PSU - Contamination Fire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G3G597JIno)/Ice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvJ8AM6-Xmg), a bunch of kinda meh tracks (like Dulk Fakis, Magas Maggahna, Kugu Desert, Galenigare Mine), and in a more negative note, the HIVE music... :3
Sonic Riders - Sand Ruins (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgM7snP54i4).
Sonic Riders Zero Gravity - The Core (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3mDfwcBHYs).
Sonic Unleashed - Dragon Road Day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OImozBiduw), vs Titan & Big Mother (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoiAY4Hq4IQ), Jungle Joyride Night (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWSZ_HHaMxQ), Eggmanland Day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxMxM6T-Fd0), Eggmanland Night (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOf2jK40y1s).
Sonic Colours - Sweet Mountain 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VYhu_2Wilk), 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34zCJdg59AY) and 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRSifLC8SWk), vs Captain Jelly & Admiral Jelly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be7G6CO75nY), Planet Wisp 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMu6VCmO4q4), 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvY87MaqXJc) and 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsK2-ax-97Q), Asteroid Coaster 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EufUFxl15dg), 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGu5tS2V9qw) and 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6zvya4EV-k), Terminal Velocity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jee3pO6qqt0).Tadashi Kinukawa:
A few tracks in PS Zero, but I don't think any of them is really notable.

Well PSO2's sound track isn't all that great..
The boss theme is just terrible. :/

Can anyone honestly say they could listen to this outside of the game? >.>
PSO2 Closed Beta: Emergency Code Duel (Vol Dragon) Theme - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DKu3Dqta4Y)
That's a really bad example, that boss has a slightly different music for each of his "forms", the music recorded in that video was probably recorded during the actual boss fight with the sound effects turned off, which resulted in the music being all over the place due to the boss randomly changing form. Whenever there's a proper soundtrack version of that music (either continuous or 3 separate tracks), yeah, I would listen to it.

Ryoga4523
Jun 18, 2012, 08:35 PM
I know exactly what its missing.

Lumir
Jun 18, 2012, 08:40 PM
I know exactly what its missing.

The red boxes are still in PSO2. I found me that rare gunslash and it was in a rare box that when dropped made a particular chime. Also it looks a bit upgraded =).

BIG OLAF
Jun 18, 2012, 08:45 PM
It's the PSP2/i rare box (technically it's a rhombus, but hey). Also, I wonder if PSO2 will have the "rainbow colored" rare boxes for the super-rare shit, a la PSP2/i as well.

gantzkaiser
Jun 18, 2012, 09:38 PM
Well for me the maps were too big. I mean there are parts you pass running and dont even bother looking them. And in PSO the maps where smaller divided into rooms so you can actually enjoy the random events that happend on each map.

Also English is missing a lot.

FerrPSO
Jun 19, 2012, 02:37 PM
About the music thing, I wish they put some melodies from old PS games, like PSO ep 2.

I mean, a remix of this would be perfect for the snow level IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aASiomRxXM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aASiomRxXM

About the PSO2 music, according to the english credits, the PSO2 music composers are Hideaki Kobayashi, Kenichi Tokoi and Tadashi Kinukawa.

yeah, Kobayashi was the sound director of both PSO and PSU.
Tokoi only worked in PSU, but his work in the Sonic series is incredible. He was the sound director of Colors, wich have an awesome OST. He also worked in Space Channel 5.
Still, the game is missing Fumie Kumatani, I wonder why she is not in... (mind you, the Egg Carrier lobby song of SA1 was a duo of Kumatani and Tokoi, IMO the best song on that album).

otakun
Jun 19, 2012, 02:47 PM
The only thing this game is missing to me is a full ENG translation. :p

NoiseHERO
Jun 19, 2012, 02:51 PM
About the music thing, I wish they put some melodies from old PS games, like PSO ep 2.

I mean, a remix of this would be perfect for the snow level IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aASiomRxXM

yeah, Kobayashi was the sound director of both PSO and PSU.
Tokoi only worked in PSU, but his work in the Sonic series is incredible. He was the sound director of Colors, wich have an awesome OST. He also worked in Space Channel 5.
Still, the game is missing Fumie Kumatani, I wonder why she is not in... (mind you, the Egg Carrier lobby song of SA1 was a duo of Kumatani and Tokoi, IMO the best song on that album).

"Behold my floating masterpiece, the Egg Carrier!"

/Funky space music plays D8!

*get's nostalgiac chill*

LatinWolf
Jun 19, 2012, 03:53 PM
The only thing this game is missing to me is a full ENG translation. :p

quoted for truth

ManaAria
Jun 19, 2012, 04:16 PM
In my personal opinion, there were a few things that I loved to be able to do in the original PSO:
1. Sit around in the lobby and just hang around with people (which has been proven that you can do in this)
2. Run areas that actually require a challenge (I'm talking to you, EP IV Ultimate mode)
3. Be able to, if I choose, just run around and kill things to get new and exciting Special Weapons.

3 has to be one of the biggest things for me. I don't know what made it different from grinding things in other games, but looking for special weapons in PSO was so fulfilling for some reason. Whenever I found a new one, I couldn't wait to go to the tekker to see what It was. (Even if half of them were Diskas) The sheer amount of different weapons you could get definitely helped this, though; and for some reason, even though they have had special and "S rank" weapons in the other Phantasy Star games since, it never felt the same as getting them in PSO. I have yet to see if it is like this in PSO2, since I've only played the Pre-OBT, but I hope they go back more to PSO's way of doing things in terms of having tons of items you have a chance at, and the fun it was to collect them.
I am hoping the difficulty will be a bit harder in later areas and missions in the game, but I believe that should end up being fine. I do agree with AlMcFly though, I want some more awesome giant boss fights.

EDIT:
Being able to go to fields without haing to accept a mission would be lovely.

NoiseHERO
Jun 19, 2012, 04:21 PM
In my personal opinion, there were a few things that I loved to be able to do in the original PSO:
1. Sit around in the lobby and just hang around with people (which has been proven that you can do in this)
2. Run areas that actually require a challenge (I'm talking to you, EP IV Ultimate mode)
3. Be able to, if I choose, just run around and kill things to get new and exciting Special Weapons.

3 has to be one of the biggest things for me. I don't know what made it different from grinding things in other games, but looking for special weapons in PSO was so fulfilling for some reason. Whenever I found a new one, I couldn't wait to go to the tekker to see what It was. (Even if half of them were Diskas) The sheer amount of different weapons you could get definitely helped this, though; and for some reason, even though they have had special and "S rank" weapons in the other Phantasy Star games since, it never felt the same as getting them in PSO. I have yet to see if it is like this in PSO2, since I've only played the Pre-OBT, but I hope they go back more to PSO's way of doing things in terms of having tons of items you have a chance at, and the fun it was to collect them.
I am hoping the difficulty will be a bit harder in later areas and missions in the game, but I believe that should end up being fine. I do agree with AlMcFly though, I want some more awesome giant boss fights.

EDIT:

Why are you using this font D:

And if anything PSU did 1 the best so far with their 234234 different, pretty lobbies to hangout in.

ManaAria
Jun 19, 2012, 04:27 PM
Why are you using this font D:

And if anything PSU did 1 the best so far with their 234234 different, pretty lobbies to hangout in.
I quite like Century Gothic, is there a problem with it? At least I'm not using Comic Sans.
I'll agree that some of the PSU lobbies were very nice. I do like the ones in PSO2, though, especially the shops area.

Ezodagrom
Jun 19, 2012, 05:09 PM

EDIT:
It's possible to go to fields without having to accept a quest, the free fields have to be unlocked first though.
About the lack of special weapons, we only had access to normal mode so far, and in the pre-open beta there was no time to go to the hard mode, it's normal there's not many rare weapons in the normal mode, did you see any special weapons in the normal mode of PSO? ^^

AlMcFly
Jun 19, 2012, 05:11 PM
I think the highest ranked items I saw were 4* or 5* can't remember which. I know they weren't gear though. I think they were status boosting items or something.

Ezodagrom
Jun 19, 2012, 05:24 PM
I think the highest ranked items I saw were 4* or 5* can't remember which. I know they weren't gear though. I think they were status boosting items or something.
During the closed beta I managed to find a 7* Gunslash, the drop had the gunslash icon in the ground, but it was red instead of orange. :3
I'm guessing there will be 2 types of rare weapons, those that drop with the weapon icon coloured red, and those that appear as red boxes (which can be untekked, when untekking players can choose the element and one special effect, while a 2nd special effect is chosen at random).

Gama
Jun 19, 2012, 05:36 PM
in many things psu was just ... blah so annoying. too many lobbies.

ManaAria
Jun 19, 2012, 06:56 PM
It's possible to go to fields without having to accept a quest, the free fields have to be unlocked first though.
About the lack of special weapons, we only had access to normal mode so far, and in the pre-open beta there was no time to go to the hard mode, it's normal there's not many rare weapons in the normal mode, did you see any special weapons in the normal mode of PSO? ^^

Thank you for the info about free fields!
I should have been clearer about the Special items thing. I didn't mean that there was a lack of them in PSO2; as you said, you don't usually run in to them until hard mode or higher, so I wouldn't know. I just hope that they feel more like they did in PSO, than in other Phantasy Star games. What with the whole excitement of not knowing what they are till you go to the tekker. (unless you cheat and equip them, but that ruins the fun) Its more of a personal thing, really. Sorry for the confusion.

Lumir
Jun 19, 2012, 07:35 PM
During the closed beta I managed to find a 7* Gunslash, the drop had the gunslash icon in the ground, but it was red instead of orange. :3
I'm guessing there will be 2 types of rare weapons, those that drop with the weapon icon coloured red, and those that appear as red boxes (which can be untekked, when untekking players can choose the element and one special effect, while a 2nd special effect is chosen at random).

What? You can choose when untekking?!?!? I found that same 7 star gunslash and untekked it! But had no idea i could set the element and one special effect!?!? Cost me 16k too T_T and couldn't use it till lvl 11 (was 10 at the time but still ^^).

FOkyasuta
Jun 19, 2012, 10:56 PM
The community from it's predecessor.

LordChampion
Jul 1, 2012, 12:23 AM
"Booty Slider" is the greatest idea and combination of words I have heard in a while.

Lostbob117
Jul 1, 2012, 12:25 AM
I think it is that it's not English what is missing.

Ueno54
Jul 1, 2012, 12:25 AM
Ain't gettin rare drops and it makes me sad! I've seen one rare gunblade from the city mission and I'm lvl 21 now. Hope things pick up when I get access to more hard mode areas.

spade88
Jul 1, 2012, 12:26 AM
I feel like something is missing as well....can't put my finger on it....maybe it was to much nostalgia all at once and it was to much for me...(who knows)

TheBlackMage
Jul 1, 2012, 12:46 AM
The community from it's predecessor.
That

I think it is that it's not English what is missing.
And that.

I think the problem is our fellow players. In PSO everyone had a tight group of friends to run around with hunting rares, fighting bosses, and just in general having a good time. Even if your friends were all offline you could do the same thing with randoms which is why PSO always was a blast.

So far in PSO2 there's not as many english speaking people naturally since there's no ENG version yet but a good majority of the time the random parties, even if they're all english, are unresponsive and rarely (if ever) talk aside from "gg" at the end of a mission.

Maybe I'm just unlucky but that's just my $0.02 :/

spade88
Jul 1, 2012, 02:03 AM
More reasons:

- if your computer plays slow then you more likely to not enjoy PSO2 with the random pauses and slow graphics.

- Lack of English players (obvious cause its's in beta and it was meant for JAP for now)

- original PSO players are not all in full role call yet so their are lack of friends on PSO2 for some.

- With out an effective English patch some users find it hard to start quests or even find their way around in general (not everyone gets it - you can't win on that argument)

gigawuts
Jul 1, 2012, 02:09 AM
That

And that.

I think the problem is our fellow players. In PSO everyone had a tight group of friends to run around with hunting rares, fighting bosses, and just in general having a good time. Even if your friends were all offline you could do the same thing with randoms which is why PSO always was a blast.

So far in PSO2 there's not as many english speaking people naturally since there's no ENG version yet but a good majority of the time the random parties, even if they're all english, are unresponsive and rarely (if ever) talk aside from "gg" at the end of a mission.

Maybe I'm just unlucky but that's just my $0.02 :/

I think that's more to do with the new gaming generation. You find silence and either a GG or a boot at the end of a quest because you don't have the absolute best gear or know every single thing in a lot of games these days. I've been put off a lot of games because of that crap. Sure, not everyone is like that, but there's a lot more like that then there were when I played something even as recent as PSOBB's official servers.

It's unfortunate too, I always preferred to have fun and just relax but it's hard to find that in MMO's. I guess I've become a (gasp) ~casual gamer~.

spade88
Jul 1, 2012, 02:12 AM
I'v become more of the adult I didn't want to grow into, and feel MMOs for me have run their course..

Think I'll stay locked up in the MMOs of the past till something better comes along...

Some games these days just have to many unwanted options or options that just complicate the gaming experience. (no i will not give any examples)

jooozek
Jul 1, 2012, 02:14 AM
PSE Bursts >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> small talk
k

spade88
Jul 1, 2012, 02:22 AM
k

I agree with TheBlackMage , even with the chat enabled when your with an ENG group they are very unresponsive.

It would be nice to just have an open chat service enabled with it, but for those who have barely working computers to play PSO2 that would only slow their gaming ability more. (of course I am referring to skype/tinychat/ventrilo/ect..)

The nostalgia of the old xbox and PSO.....(good times)

NoiseHERO
Jul 1, 2012, 02:22 AM
k

Screaming that you're having a seizure and that there's too much colors and everyone seems to be on acid during a CROSS BURST >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PSE Bursts without small talk

Fujiko
Jul 1, 2012, 02:43 AM
The more I play PSO2, the more I feel missing is the great boss battles with great music. Fights like De Rol Le, Gal Gryphon, etc.

Most of the bosses we have now aren't even real bosses, rock bears are just hildebears, salamanders and antlions feel more like mini bosses than anything.

The two closest we have now, the dragon and dark ragne still pale in comparison to what PSO had and they were designed to be spawned during Codes. So they can't have some kind of neat gimmick for the fight.

While it's fun to fight them (because they are rare), they just feel like giant HP sponges, that get stuck constantly in the small areas.

I know it's still in open beta, but I can't see the current content changing that much into retail, just adding in more areas like the tundra with whatever mini/boss they add with that.

I am sure they will put in some fun boss fights eventually :D

Halcyote
Jul 1, 2012, 02:53 AM
Most of the bosses we have now aren't even real bosses, rock bears are just hildebears, salamanders and antlions feel more like mini bosses than anything.
that's because they are minibosses

NoiseHERO
Jul 1, 2012, 03:16 AM
PSO's first two bosses were better than Ragne and Vol Dragon...??????????

THEN WHY ARE WE PLAYING THIS GAME??? D8

Vylera
Jul 1, 2012, 03:27 AM

Welcome to 2012 gaming.

Where everything is dumbed down so that even people who can't game, can.

Hucast-Kireek
Jul 1, 2012, 03:48 AM
I know this, its a heck alot better than PSU and im loving every second of it! And I know the feeling, its just that PSO was slower so you could take in more stuff, but this one is chaos! its like a mixture of all recent Phantasy star games.

Fujiko
Jul 1, 2012, 03:49 AM
that's because they are minibosses

Right, but feels backwards to have such a heavy emphasize on them.

Only 1 of the 3 free missions we have has a real boss in it. With the other one being a daily emergency mission that is timed. All the other missions are just kill quests or mini boss fights.

Macman
Jul 1, 2012, 03:54 AM
The two closest we have now, the dragon and dark ragne still pale in comparison to what PSO had
Get the hell out of here. Vol Dragon's the most fun I've ever had in a PS game. Dark Ragne can piss off, though.

gigawuts
Jul 1, 2012, 04:08 AM
Vol dragon isn't just fun, it has depth. It has character. You can hear it yelling when it attacks, with what almost sounds like a voice. Its attacks are varied and he moves all over the place. Also, you can actually see what you're doing underneath him (unlike ragne because he's flopping around constantly).

I am also fond of the noodle dragon.

What I really like is the bosses can fight eachother. There should be more of that.

Fujiko
Jul 1, 2012, 04:33 AM
Get the hell out of here. Vol Dragon's the most fun I've ever had in a PS game. Dark Ragne can piss off, though.

"Get the hell out of here" is a little harsh over the matter of an opinion. That is just my take, it doesn't make it more or less valid than your opinion.

However, I think we can hopefully agree that PSO2 would be lots more fun if we didn't have all these mini bosses. Which is what I think is that "missing something".

BIG OLAF
Jul 1, 2012, 04:36 AM
Vol dragon isn't just fun, it has depth. It has character. You can hear it yelling when it attacks, with what almost sounds like a voice.

I think I heard someone tell me that Vol Dragon speaks sometimes (In Japanese, of course). It wouldn't be too weird, seeing as the Dilna(?), the lizard fellows that inhabit the Caves, also speak words, as we found out from one of the PSO2 trailers.

Anyway, fighting a talking Dragon = Yes.

Also, saying that Vol Dragon and Dark Ragne "pale in comparison" to PSO bosses isn't giving either of them nearly as much credit as you should.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 1, 2012, 04:39 AM
i lold at the dude who said get the hell outta here

*looks at both registration dates*

i don think that guy's gonna leave any time soon dawg

and yeah, vol dragon speaks in distorted sounding japanese. it's kinda cool

dilakri87
Jul 1, 2012, 04:55 AM
I think I heard someone tell me that Vol Dragon speaks sometimes (In Japanese, of course). It wouldn't be too weird, seeing as the Dilna(?), the lizard fellows that inhabit the Caves, also speak words, as we found out from one of the PSO2 trailers.

Anyway, fighting a talking Dragon = Yes.

Also, saying that Vol Dragon and Dark Ragne "pale in comparison" to PSO bosses isn't giving either of them nearly as much credit as you should.

Inb4voldragonbecomesyourfriendandfightsbiggerdarke rbosseswithyou

Leliana
Jul 1, 2012, 04:56 AM
Vol dragon isn't just fun, it has depth. It has character. You can hear it yelling when it attacks, with what almost sounds like a voice. Its attacks are varied and he moves all over the place.

Eh don't get me wrong. It's a fun fight, he's kinda cool and probably the best boss in PSO2, but I don't really see much depth or character just from those things. :-?

Now this guy here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzFYmtCa1Lo

That overpowering boss entry; that music setting the foundation for the tone of the fight; that marshy environment that would probably be beautiful on a sunny day, but is now a dark, tiring bog you have to slosh and push through, with that fierce thunderstorm overshadowing your struggle?

THAT's more along the lines of depth.

dilakri87
Jul 1, 2012, 05:03 AM
How do you feel if a ragne pops in a small area in forest on a stormy weather?

CrAZYVIC.
Jul 1, 2012, 05:21 AM
PSO2 is ten times better than PSU. PSU giveme boredom feeling x 50. Pso2 is awesome game, it have all elements an action RPG must have.

Sadly PSO2 lack of level of addictiveness PSO1 had.

PSO1 is a game you can play 10 TTFs, 10 forest, 5 craters, 10 deserts and you still having the same fun like the first run.

The system for hunt rares in PSO1, was insuperable, Psu and pso2 are light years behind.

PSO2 is pretty good game, but pso1 = golden years for a lot us.

PSO2 maybe will have 100 missions, but if these misions are Zero replayable then PSO2 will follow the same direction as PSU..

Leliana
Jul 1, 2012, 05:29 AM
How do you feel if a ragne pops in a small area in forest on a stormy weather?

Usually my first thought is to wonder why the chick over the vid-feed is flipping out so much. I'd probably have the same response, here.

FerrPSO
Jul 1, 2012, 05:35 AM
IMO Vol Dragon as a boss fight is far better than Gryphon, and probably better than any PSO boss. It just have a lot of more of attacks, and use them more randomly.

BIG OLAF
Jul 1, 2012, 11:55 AM
PSO1 is a game you can play 10 TTFs, 10 forest, 5 craters, 10 deserts and you still having the same fun like the first run.

Hnnnnngh....I'd have to disagree there. I can only take one run, maybe two, before the clunky, dated controls start pissing me off.

DreXxiN
Jul 1, 2012, 01:04 PM
PSO2 is ten times better than PSU. PSU giveme boredom feeling x 50. Pso2 is awesome game, it have all elements an action RPG must have.

Sadly PSO2 lack of level of addictiveness PSO1 had.

The system for hunt rares in PSO1, was insuperable, Psu and pso2 are light years behind.

PSO2 is pretty good game, but pso1 = golden years for a lot us.

PSO2 maybe will have 100 missions, but if these misions are Zero replayable then PSO2 will follow the same direction as PSU..

I agree with you that PSO1 had longevity but I think your opinion on PSU might be biased because you went so crazy on that #1 spot for MAG to get the Spread Needle. :P

xBladeM6x
Jul 1, 2012, 01:17 PM
Hnnnnngh....I'd have to disagree there. I can only take one run, maybe two, before the clunky, dated controls start pissing me off.

Not to mention the running animation that looks like you have a 10 foot pole in your ass.

krux
Jul 1, 2012, 02:02 PM
Ok yes the controls are dated but if pso2 had the sounds track pso had and the art style then the game would be impossible to put down. It would seem that people on this forum will never admit that this game is not so much pso2 as it is just what psu should have been, Im not saying the game is bad at all. in fact it one of the best games iv ever played, im just saying it doesnt have very good replay value but thats just me i guess...

Agitated_AT
Jul 1, 2012, 02:25 PM
This game is imo a very good evolution of pso in almost every aspect, except for 1 major flaw it has.

What I think pso2's problem is, that it's trying to force these good ideas, but instead of trying to combine with the core aspects of pso1 and comprimising, they actually gave up on some important core aspects of pso1.

This is what makes pso2 have some sort of identity crisis and feel like a standalone pso game. The music is there, the visuals are there to an extent, the sfx are there. The feel and everything is really close, all that is missing is the PSO quest/dungeon/level experience. It is such a sad thing because they were so close adn the game really suffers from it.

Edit: and reading the previous page, the bosses are indeed not engaging at all. I think a way to fix this is to have all areas take an example of the volcanos. Have a mini boss (rockbear, cathadran and that thing from the desert) and a big boss, which vol dragon really is the only boss I consider as a major boss.

Pso1 episode 1 had the first boss as a dragon, 2nd boss playout on a friggin boat, 3rd boss in a computer room with screens, 4th boss having phases and being the sickest thing ever. These bosses were made to be different from each other which was awesome. Why i mentioned the mid boss idea, is because I hope that its really true and we still have a lot to see in the release game.

Flame
Jul 1, 2012, 02:40 PM
I think the reason OP you may feel empty is that while the battle system and visuals in PSO2 are great, the level design is absolute tripe. Randomly designed levels can never compare to a level that's been lovingly crafted by a developer. The level variations made for PSO were all brilliantly designed to give a wonderful sense of accomplishment and progression. Where are the majestic set pieces?

There's also a generation gap in a way. PSO2's levels are meant to be played in 15 min increments. They are smaller and faster. PSO's levels (especially the later maps) were 40 min slogs that I'm not sure this generation of gamers have the patience to complete.

Of course it feels dated. We've had ten years of game development since it came out. Mario 64 feels dated but it's still a great game.

BIG OLAF
Jul 1, 2012, 02:43 PM
Of course it feels dated. We've had ten years of game development since it came out. Mario 64 feels dated but it's still a great game.

Who finds what a "great game" is subjective.

EDIT: Also, the point I was making is that, compared to newer games like PSO2, the 'dated-ness' of the controls and stuff from PSO makes it seem...like a not-so-great game. At least to some people.

Ryock
Jul 1, 2012, 02:45 PM
As I play more and more, I'm starting to pick up things about the game that I feel are missing that are probably causing many of us to still prefer PSO1's way of doing things. First of all, the music is a big thing. None of this music is very memorable really. The only one I feel engaged with is the city music. Second of all, the only two true bosses we have I'd say for the most part have that PSO feel about them. Again, I must stress the music. If there was music to these two bosses more along the lines of the original PSO, you might instead agree they are for the most keeping up with what we remember.

Both the dragon and ragne do some interesting things. We have the dragon who goes underground and comes out stronger and meaner each time, blowing fire balls and flames as a dragon should. And then we have ragne who shoots out those weird red waves and climbs all over the walls at times, sometimes jumping like a spider. Again, this game feels more like what PSU should have been, rather than a PSO2 spiritual successor or sequel. This game has more of that "Let's go on an adventure guys!" kind of feel rather than that "This is serious. Stop laughing, horrible things are happening" kind of feel PSO1 gave us.

For those who have done it and/or remember it, take for example the event that happened with Kireek when you follow his quest line. The way he begins to slowly lose his sanity and become psychotic, eventually attempting to kill you and your former training buddy is pretty interesting. PSU and PSO2 give the feeling of "Don't worry, no matter what happens, we'll be okay." PSO1 did not do that. Someone else has also mentioned it, but sticking around for the level is pretty important. This game has you jump in, run in, kill stuff super fast, get out as fast as you can.

gravityvx
Jul 1, 2012, 02:46 PM
What's missing from this game, and the only thing I currently have an issue with is I miss the darker & mysterious atmosphere from pso I'm not really into this "joke" anime thing and by that I mean I can't take the story seriously, hopefully it gets better but I won't hold my breath. Then there's the bosses, they are ALL missing that epicness from pso, Vol Dragon comes close but not close enough. Everything else has felt like a major improvement from the old game and any newer titles of the name, well besides the cash crap additions but eh, it's free I won't complain.

gigawuts
Jul 1, 2012, 02:50 PM
Eh don't get me wrong. It's a fun fight, he's kinda cool and probably the best boss in PSO2, but I don't really see much depth or character just from those things. :-?

Now this guy here?

PSO Ep2 C3 - Chase FOne vs Gal Gryphon - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzFYmtCa1Lo)

That overpowering boss entry; that music setting the foundation for the tone of the fight; that marshy environment that would probably be beautiful on a sunny day, but is now a dark, tiring bog you have to slosh and push through, with that fierce thunderstorm overshadowing your struggle?

THAT's more along the lines of depth.

Definitely, but look at the two bosses before it in Episode 2: Reskins. They had a couple new attacks, but were just reskins. It's the third boss in a sequel. The Gal Gryphon was awesome - music, attacks, design - but it was still preceded by two reskins and then all four bosses in episode 1.

We're looking at a game made mostly from scratch. It's GOING to be rough around the edges at this stage. Even by the original's standard, we're looking at waiting three years and slogging through two pre-existing maps with old enemies and reskinned bosses to get to something like the Gal Gryphon. I don't think that will actually happen, but we can't go talking about how gosh darn amazing the original's bosses are without keeping perspective.

I miss the crawly, claustrophobic feel that the originals had, right down to being locked in an enclosed space clearly separated from the level you're leaving. An underground cavern (It was meant to be the inside of the dome, but I never understood that), a miles-long sewer pipe taking you deeper and deeper into the granite abyss, a control room of some kind, and then the first time you see sky during a boss fight you're taken to some kind of hellish rainbow dimension.

Agitated_AT
Jul 1, 2012, 02:51 PM
I think the reason OP you may feel empty is that while the battle system and visuals in PSO2 are great, the level design is absolute tripe. Randomly designed levels can never compare to a level that's been lovingly crafted by a developer. The level variations made for PSO were all brilliantly designed to give a wonderful sense of accomplishment and progression. Where are the majestic set pieces?

There's also a generation gap in a way. PSO2's levels are meant to be played in 15 min increments. They are smaller and faster. PSO's levels (especially the later maps) were 40 min slogs that I'm not sure this generation of gamers have the patience to complete.

Oh god this, and tbh I dont think it has too do with "this generation". Spiral knights is a game that is inspired heavily by pso1, and a run takes just as much as pso1 if not mor

Macman
Jul 1, 2012, 05:36 PM
I'm just gonna say: Don't compare this game to PSOBB or PSOGC. You should really be comparing it to PSOv1 on DC in terms of content.

xBladeM6x
Jul 1, 2012, 09:05 PM
I'm just gonna say: Don't compare this game to PSOBB or PSOGC. You should really be comparing it to PSOv1 on DC in terms of content.

In that case. Epic lulz. PSO2 > PSO by far.

Jrgsubzero
Jul 1, 2012, 09:09 PM
A vocal theme song?

Quatre52
Jul 1, 2012, 09:59 PM
I have no real complaints. This game has taken most everything good and put it into 1 game.
Worrying about bosses is a bit premature, considering were in the open beta still. Random designed levels will be nice in the long run as well. Yea, the PSO levels were cool and all, but after years of doing the same area over and over, it gets old. Its a sad day when I could run forest in my sleep.

Actually having to explore a bit is nice too, no more knowing the exact way to go every time, something all PSO games have been missing in the past.

I'd say the mystery is gone from the story, but..well..the story is currently in a language I cant read, so I have no clue what the story is. I cant complain about a story I cant read yet.

TheBlackMage
Jul 1, 2012, 10:11 PM
First of all, the music is a big thing. None of this music is very memorable really. The only one I feel engaged with is the city music.

Again, this game feels more like what PSU should have been, rather than a PSO2 spiritual successor or sequel. This game has more of that "Let's go on an adventure guys!" kind of feel rather than that "This is serious. Stop laughing, horrible things are happening" kind of feel PSO1 gave us.

For those who have done it and/or remember it, take for example the event that happened with Kireek when you follow his quest line. The way he begins to slowly lose his sanity and become psychotic, eventually attempting to kill you and your former training buddy is pretty interesting. PSU and PSO2 give the feeling of "Don't worry, no matter what happens, we'll be okay."

PSO1 did not do that. Someone else has also mentioned it, but sticking around for the level is pretty important. This game has you jump in, run in, kill stuff super fast, get out as fast as you can.

True on so many levels. @_@
Nothing in PSO2 feels as ominous as it did in PSO. PSO nailed the music, story, and bosses... (not to mention rares, so far rares here just kinda seem like a visual skin :/)

PSO Bosses
---------------
Dragon
"What is a dragon doing inside of this dome?!"

De Rol Le
"Wait I was in a cave and now I'm on a raft I wonder where this will take m-WTF IS THAT?!"

Vol Opt
"Some sort of computer room? Oh their all turning on...wait a sec, why do I have a bad feeling about this?"

Dark Falz
"...I'm gonna die."

PSO2 Bosses
------------------

Rockbear
"An upgraded Hildibear....meh"

(Do I even need to continue this list after mentioning that?)

As for the level design...it just doesn't feel like a dungeon crawler anymore. More of a "Hey a boss is at the end of this thing...you can ignore everything else just about" Combine that with other players who majority of the time just run to the end takes a lot out of that PSO feel. PSO was more of a "Ok, watch each other's backs and we can fight our way through to the boss." PSO2 sometimes just seems like a race of who can get to the end 1st. :/

Still a fun game though and it could've been much much worse. : x

BIG OLAF
Jul 2, 2012, 12:18 AM
Are people still making silly comparisons and talking about how no game will apparently ever have the amazing level of 'depth', 'immersion', 'detail', and overall "-ness" that PSO had?

10+ years later. Things have changed. Game design has changed. Societal standards for games have changed. Developer 'priorities' for games have changed. Some think for the better, some think for the worse (I think the former in the case of PSO/2). Sitting there on your proverbial rocking chair, talkin' 'bout the good ol' days back in PSO, when everything was made out of gold and chocolate and supermodels, and all the things SEGA is apparently doing "wrong" with PSO2 is just....

...I dunno. Can't even think of an appropriate word for it.

Flame
Jul 2, 2012, 12:46 AM
Are people still making silly comparisons and talking about how no game will apparently ever have the amazing level of 'depth', 'immersion', 'detail', and overall "-ness" that PSO had?

10+ years later. Things have changed. Game design has changed. Societal standards for games have changed. Developer 'priorities' for games have changed. Some think for the better, some think for the worse (I think the former in the case of PSO/2). Sitting there on your proverbial rocking chair, talkin' 'bout the good ol' days back in PSO, when everything was made out of gold and chocolate and supermodels, and all the things SEGA is apparently doing "wrong" with PSO2 is just....

but it's not one sided. People have praised PSO2 for the number of things it does great. This isn't some nostalgia circle jerk.

gigawuts
Jul 2, 2012, 12:46 AM
Today I tried to grind a vol scale from +8, which I got to without one failure, up to +10

300k meseta and 170 grinders later I'm back at +8

/tableflip

This kind of mechanic is utterly unfun and is nothing but a way to get money. Chance based mechanics, especially ones with penalties such as this, are incredibly unfun. No matter what, without a safety net there will always be someone who fails, fails, fails, and fails.

krux
Jul 2, 2012, 12:51 AM
yes to the above post

xBladeM6x
Jul 2, 2012, 01:04 AM
Today I tried to grind a vol scale from +8, which I got to without one failure, up to +10

300k meseta and 170 grinders later I'm back at +8

/tableflip

This kind of mechanic is utterly unfun and is nothing but a way to get money. Chance based mechanics, especially ones with penalties such as this, are incredibly unfun. No matter what, without a safety net there will always be someone who fails, fails, fails, and fails.

Don't complain. PSU's system was far worse. Especially in vanilla PSU. Also, grinds + weapons % doesn't make a big difference at all. It's hilarious how little any of it matters, even when combined.

Edit: That sounded a bit more of an "On the attack" kind of response. Don't take it as such. Just hate, and Vietnam like flashbacks to PSU's grinding system makes me love this one.

Ryock
Jul 2, 2012, 01:25 AM

Don't get me wrong. The game does many things right. It took a lot of good things from both PSO and PSU and has left out many things many of us would not like to deal with, like the synthesis system, outdated combat, etc. I have enjoyed the game greatly thus far, however it does have the PSO name attached to it. Thus, people who have played the previous games are going to make comparisons. It's only natural. Honestly, I don't think people would be making these comparisons if it was simply renamed to PSU2 or some other name. Since it DOES have the PSO name attached to it however, there are going to be things I like and dislike that the game has done when compared.

Halcyote
Jul 2, 2012, 01:32 AM
so the game would automatically be better or not be critiqued by fanboy glasses if it was called psu2?

i mean, i get why people would compare it to pso, but they act as if the game was some sort of holy grail or something and it really isn't. like some of these arguments are kinda reaching and it feels like people are just wanting pso with updated graphics instead of something new.

Ryock
Jul 2, 2012, 01:36 AM
so the game would automatically be better or not be critiqued by fanboy glasses if it was called psu2?

i mean, i get why people would compare it to pso, but they act as if the game was some sort of holy grail or something and it really isn't. like some of these arguments are kinda reaching and it feels like people are just wanting pso with updated graphics instead of something new.

I think some people were expecting a lot of what was part of the original instead of looking at this like another online PS game. It's merely a case of getting your hopes up is what it seems to me, though I can't speak for everyone.

xBladeM6x
Jul 2, 2012, 01:48 AM

Oh God, please no. I can see all the TTF runs being "all the rage" all over again. Also, I'm sure people would start complaining that the changes to textures would be "not the right look". Seriously, it's insanity.

TheBlackMage
Jul 2, 2012, 02:05 AM

Change is inevitable. The 1st. PSO changed the world of videogames drastically in ways previously thought in-imaginable. It introduced a lot of things that was unheard of at the time and influenced games to come.

PSO2 just doesn't have the same amount of "whoa" to it imo. In PSO the story was pretty wide open in the case that it felt like you were actually investigating what was going on around you and you had no idea what would happen next. Some critics bashed it saying it didn't have a "story" at all but personally I think being clueless about what happened on Ragol was part of it's charm and un-like a lot of videogame stories today, wasn't easily predicable. PSU's and PSO2's (so far) story feels like just another cliche' "My friends and I will save the world" story that has been used so much it's not as engaging as it might have been years ago.

The music fit PSO's foreboding atmosphere to the letter while most of the PSO2 tracks just feel...generic, nothing catchy about a lot of them as if it's just there to provide background noise.

PSO2's Combat is a hell of a lot of fun and can make up for other aspects of the game that should've "changed" as well instead of having a generic storyline and generic music. I guess what I'm getting at is that there isn't many new ground-breaking new features introduced to gaming that PSO2 has compared to PSO1, it just seems like a lot of ideas and concept pulled together from various games over the years nicely melded into a single game. Might I add though that it does it rather well, the combat never gets stale or boring where as it can be the complete opposite in PSO so that is something I am grateful for.

Most of us were just hoping for new "changes" in gaming. But alas PSO2 is still a fantastic game and I'm so glad I have the opportunity to play it. It certainly is a step up from PSO just not as big of a step as some may have been expecting.

Ogni-XR21
Jul 2, 2012, 02:12 AM
Everyone complaining about the music probably doesn't remember when they first heard PSO1's music. There is nothing "catchy" about it, the endless hours of hearing it over and over again made you love it.

I also like the EP3 feel of some of the music.

I love PSO2, it's even better than I had hoped it to be.

TheBlackMage
Jul 2, 2012, 02:20 AM
Everyone complaining about the music probably doesn't remember when they first heard PSO1's music. There is nothing "catchy" about it, the endless hours of hearing it over and over again made you love it.

Ha I wish, then I wouldn't be annoyed to death by the same 13-ish songs that play over and over and over again where I work. @_@

I loved PSO's music from the time I 1st put the disc in my Dreamcast. Some like it, some don't. I did.

CrAZYVIC.
Jul 2, 2012, 03:08 AM

Let me explain.

First i respect your opinion, everyone feel the things in different way.

Many people began to play phantasy star series with "PSO". This players Sadly have a feeling like the OP "I need something more the game lacks of x thing". The reasons were spoken in this topic already.

Many people began to play phantasy star series with PSU they dont like very much PSO1. For they PSO2 is a dream maked reality. I understad perfectly this feeling. PSO2 feels more like fixed +1 PSU.

Im waiting the NA ver. Well... if there are a NA ver and see the progress of pso2, as minimiun 1 year, for give a last word. For me PSO2, is a golden game 9/10, but need a bit more for call it a master piece.

CrAZYVIC.
Jul 2, 2012, 03:19 AM
I agree with you that PSO1 had longevity but I think your opinion on PSU might be biased because you went so crazy on that #1 spot for MAG to get the Spread Needle. :P

Your post makeme Smile xD good memories!

PSU was a fun weekend game for me. A game for play with somefriends a White Beast Run a Sunday etc, Honestly i like pso2 10 times than psu.

I only won MAG for say good bye the rushes in the games, since PSO VER2 dreamcast, i was rushing/races/damage elitish until psu usa, in pso 2 im enjoying it very casual, fuck the needle /sarcasm xD.

Stops reading now, if you dont want read Old man stories, im 24 now and i feel Old for pso2.

In PSO DC VER 2. Be the first Na player in hit lv 200. Ult Mode here was INSANE
In pso gc, i was only playing battle mode and C mode. Rule 1/ Rule 6.
In EP3 keeping the God number 3 rank for over a year. Without "Bash NPCS"
In pso bb, face vs the legendary player Vampyre. Vampyre was the first player to hit lv 200 in pso GC, beating all JP guys for it. After of our insane two battles, i won the Aol Cup beating his team the Fallen, and he beat me for the lv 200 vs 197. Im glad we ended 1 - 1.
In PSU JP, launch be the first JP/NA player hit lv 50.
The maximun attack event, i won in psu. Was for quit the rushes in a honorable way, doing all my points in a legit way and doing all my runs in Time attack mode. Skills/Endurance > Multiple people using a same char.

Fuck the needle again xD.

Jrgsubzero
Jul 2, 2012, 03:47 AM
Let me explain.

First i respect your opinion, everyone feel the things in different way.

Many people began to play phantasy star series with "PSO". This players Sadly have a feeling like the OP "I need something more the game lacks of x thing". The reasons were spoken in this topic already.

Many people began to play phantasy star series with PSU they dont like very much PSO1. For they PSO2 is a dream maked reality. I understad perfectly this feeling. PSO2 feels more like fixed +1 PSU.

Im waiting the NA ver. Well... if there are a NA ver and see the progress of pso2, as minimiun 1 year, for give a last word. For me PSO2, is a golden game 9/10, but need a bit more for call it a master piece.

I started with PSO on the good ol' dreamcast, played it on Gamecube and then later BB. I like PSO2 and feel it to be a good sequel.

It feels as if they took PSO and made it more modern, though I feel it needs "more" as well, but seeing as it just launched (open beta) it's more or less the norm nowadays.

gigawuts
Jul 2, 2012, 04:41 AM
Don't complain. PSU's system was far worse. Especially in vanilla PSU. Also, grinds + weapons % doesn't make a big difference at all. It's hilarious how little any of it matters, even when combined.

Edit: That sounded a bit more of an "On the attack" kind of response. Don't take it as such. Just hate, and Vietnam like flashbacks to PSU's grinding system makes me love this one.

Oh no, I remember it. The horrific crafting system (seriously, 4 attempts of 80% success rate and ALL failed?) and then finding out grinding BROKE weapons made me just up and quit. I won't pay money to support something like that.

Also, PA grinding was bland, level design was monotonous, and...you know, I shouldn't get into all that. Most of what I hated about PSU comes down to opinion, there's plenty of people who loved it.

Geistritter
Jul 2, 2012, 05:27 AM
This game's not much better in most areas. That 80% is almost a guaranteed failure just as often here, but in the form of weapon and armor attribute additions.

At least the thing doesn't explode or become permanently worse now.

Cyclon
Jul 2, 2012, 05:30 AM
PSO2 Bosses
------------------

Rockbear
"An upgraded Hildibear....meh"

(Do I even need to continue this list after mentioning that?)
Indeed you do. The Rockbear is a sub-boss, just like the ones you would fight in the beach/jungle/mountain areas; his lack of a theme song is proof of that. And you can fight two or three at the same time, which you can't do on a real boss.

As of now, neither the forest nor the desert have a proper boss. And the city has no mid-boss. Will this change? I don't know.
But go ahead and compare PSO's Dragon to PSO2's Vol Dragon, and tell me again that PSO does it better.

As for the level design...it just doesn't feel like a dungeon crawler anymore. More of a "Hey a boss is at the end of this thing...you can ignore everything else just about" Combine that with other players who majority of the time just run to the end takes a lot out of that PSO feel. PSO was more of a "Ok, watch each other's backs and we can fight our way through to the boss." PSO2 sometimes just seems like a race of who can get to the end 1st. :/

Still a fun game though and it could've been much much worse. : x
I really think after about a month, it will be clearly understood and accepted that rushing through areas yields little to nothing compared to actual exploration, and roaming the areas for an extended period of time.
This will happen, because it's true; but as of now, people don't know the game well enough and play it like they would play PSO or PSU.

What I'd say is lacking in this game, aside from music which was indeed better on PSO's side(but is still decent to pretty good here), is actually a single player mode. What I mean is that there is absolutely nothing that inquires you to play alone, while in PSO, well ennemies were far weaker, and unless you had three other people to play with at all times, you would often go through an area faster when you're alone than with one, or even two other people.

In PSO2, ennemies stats do not change, and rare hunting goes through PSE, which you are very unlikely to achieve by yourself or even with npcs. Dying also lowers your end mission rank, unless you are revived by someone, and moon atomizers cost next to nothing. Playing with other people also allows you to face several sub-bosses, and generally grants you higher emergency code chance.

So, basically, playing alone is only interesting for the challenge of certain bosses, since if you mess up and die even once, you have to restart the whole mission and try again.

PSO2 really IS designed as a multiplayer game for the most part, while PSO was designed as both solo and multiplayer, but arguably didn't handle multiplayer as well.
I don't know if I really like it better that way, but the game is so good and addictive right now that I have my hands full with awesomeness, so I don't really care.

Geistritter
Jul 2, 2012, 05:43 AM
This game is missing metal skirts.

Macman
Jul 2, 2012, 06:17 AM
Also, grinds + weapons % doesn't make a big difference at all. It's hilarious how little any of it matters, even when combined.
That's an odd thing to say when I just grinded my Photon Launcher from +0 to +7 and my damage output in Hard nearly doubled.

MidiPour
Jul 2, 2012, 09:21 AM
I've read the entire thread and agree on some points in regards to the comparisons made between PSO2 and the original. First of all, PSO2 is a refinement of portable series, which was a refinement of PSU. However, PSO2 does enough different to stand out from those game, which is probably due to the possibilities capable of being achieved on the PC hardware. Thus, it brings us to the point that one user made that the original game was more 'stationary', where attacks were slower paced, where people's playstyle adapted to this pace. I'm not sure if this is positive or negative, it really depends on your outlook, but there are games that still use remnants of PSO's original playstyle (primarily Monster Hunter). I think the primary reason why PSO2 plays like it does is because Sega deliberately wants to modernize and push the limits of what the current hardwares are capable of (which why we probably see large expanses of environments and no doors).

Second, I agree that the music isn't exactly in vein with PSO. PSO did in indeed have a more foreboding atmosphere, and it helped accentuate the game's rather minimal and lackluster verbal story telling. However, if you compare PSO1 and 2 side by side, the game seems slightly more visually upbeat, and the music suits PSO2's upbeat presentation. Personally, I'm very nostalgic for the original game's soundtrack, which makes it hard for me to currently give PSO2's soundtrack a fair shake. However, the soundtrack isn't bad, and there is a chance the soundtrack will eventually sink in for me and many other people.

Third point, I agree that the rockbears are a poor excuse for a boss. They should have been regular enemies with reduced HP, in line with what hildebears were for PSO. However, Vol Dragon was a pretty awesome boss. Scratch that, the entire caves stage and enemies is awesome. I really couldn't stand going through the monotonous caves in PSO, but the new caves is interesting in so many levels. Aside from that, the city stage is pretty neat too, despite there being no unique enemies there (aside from the boss). I'll give that the forest stage is pretty generic, and the desert could have been designed better or more interestingly. But compared to PSO, PSO2 is a much better game environmentally, and enemies are as interesting as the ones from PSO. The only argument I'd agree on is to have 'real' bosses for each of these stages, rather than having two or three of what seem like mid-bosses.

Don't get me wrong, I love PSO. I played it on the Dreamcast and Gamecube, and sink thousands of hours, so the game has left a special mark on my childhood and teenage years. However, PSO2 is objectively a better game so far. And despite it not being precisely faithful to PSO1, but I think this is a step in the right direction from the portable series, a LARGE step in the right direction from PSU. Just give the game time, and I'm sure we'll all grow to have fond memories of PSO2.

TheBlackMage
Jul 2, 2012, 12:56 PM
Indeed you do. The Rockbear is a sub-boss, just like the ones you would fight in the beach/jungle/mountain areas; his lack of a theme song is proof of that. And you can fight two or three at the same time, which you can't do on a real boss.

As of now, neither the forest nor the desert have a proper boss. And the city has no mid-boss. Will this change? I don't know.
But go ahead and compare PSO's Dragon to PSO2's Vol Dragon, and tell me again that PSO does it better.

PSO2 really IS designed as a multiplayer game for the most part, while PSO was designed as both solo and multiplayer, but arguably didn't handle multiplayer as well.
I don't know if I really like it better that way, but the game is so good and addictive right now that I have my hands full with awesomeness, so I don't really care.

PSO2's Dragon is indeed better than PSO's so they were able to 1up themselves on a single boss...yay? What I was trying to get at though is how original PSO's bosses were (Of course a Dragon isn't original at all, but him being able to fall on you and potentially kill you after you beat him was quite surprising. I still remember my "WTF?" momment when I thought I beat him for the 1st time.)

The Dark Ragine or whatever it's called only felt like a boss to me the 1st time I saw it appear randomly in the Free Forest. After that it just feels like an HP sponge with easily avoidable attacks. :/

However I do agree with you that PSO2 is a hell of a lot of fun and I do greatly enjoy playing it.

Third point, I agree that the rockbears are a poor excuse for a boss. They should have been regular enemies with reduced HP, in line with what hildebears were for PSO. However, Vol Dragon was a pretty awesome boss. Scratch that, the entire caves stage and enemies is awesome. I really couldn't stand going through the monotonous caves in PSO, but the new caves is interesting in so many levels. Aside from that, the city stage is pretty neat too, despite there being no unique enemies there (aside from the boss). I'll give that the forest stage is pretty generic, and the desert could have been designed better or more interestingly. But compared to PSO, PSO2 is a much better game environmentally, and enemies are as interesting as the ones from PSO. The only argument I'd agree on is to have 'real' bosses for each of these stages, rather than having two or three of what seem like mid-bosses.

Don't get me wrong, I love PSO. I played it on the Dreamcast and Gamecube, and sink thousands of hours, so the game has left a special mark on my childhood and teenage years. However, PSO2 is objectively a better game so far. And despite it not being precisely faithful to PSO1, but I think this is a step in the right direction from the portable series, a LARGE step in the right direction from PSU. Just give the game time, and I'm sure we'll all grow to have fond memories of PSO2.

+10
Well said chap, well said.

Ashdown
Jul 2, 2012, 01:37 PM
I would really like a way to just play the game, you know, without the insurmountable amount of hoops you have to jump, matter boards, client requests, free missions and so on, I would like to just open a game, get down to the forest and a couple of hours later see the ending, ya know, how PSO played for years, yeah you eventually get to a place where you can choose the missions and play like that, but it just takes forever, it drags on and on and on...

I like the story of this game, but the option to just jump on the game and play is greatly missed, at least for me.

gigawuts
Jul 2, 2012, 02:05 PM
I would really like a way to just play the game, you know, without the insurmountable amount of hoops you have to jump, matter boards, client requests, free missions and so on, I would like to just open a game, get down to the forest and a couple of hours later see the ending, ya know, how PSO played for years, yeah you eventually get to a place where you can choose the missions and play like that, but it just takes forever, it drags on and on and on...

I like the story of this game, but the option to just jump on the game and play is greatly missed, at least for me.

Man, I hear that. Free field should be unlocked straight away, just like the original. I like what they're trying to do, and that it's halfway between PSO and PSU, but I just don't think that it works.

Cyclon
Jul 3, 2012, 10:02 AM
PSO2's Dragon is indeed better than PSO's so they were able to 1up themselves on a single boss...yay? What I was trying to get at though is how original PSO's bosses were (Of course a Dragon isn't original at all, but him being able to fall on you and potentially kill you after you beat him was quite surprising. I still remember my "WTF?" momment when I thought I beat him for the 1st time.)
Vol Dragon actually does that too! I found that quite funny, even though it's even easier to dodge now that we can move so fast, and jump, and all.
And the tundra will have two bosses, so there's a good chance one is sub and the other main; that makes three bosses plus four sub bosses against PSO's four main. While nothing we're getting seems to capture the epicness of the last three PSO bosses, I still think it's not so bad.

The Dark Ragine or whatever it's called only felt like a boss to me the 1st time I saw it appear randomly in the Free Forest. After that it just feels like an HP sponge with easily avoidable attacks. :/
[spoiler-box]Actually, I thought that too at one point(before facing him in hard mode as a matter of fact), but in the end, some of his attacks are unpredictable; and in the middle of a group fight, you won't always see them coming. The "imma jump on your face RIGHT behind your guard" and "eat some disks in the face for trying to break my legs so that your teammates can abuse my weak point. Oh and that will kill you at max hp too" are personal favorites. The "trying to heal? Have a lightning bolt to the face!" is nice as well.

All in all, I can keep smacking Vol dragon in the face the whole fight without ever getting hit, because he's so easy to read once you know his attacks(not to mention there are several easy ways to stun him for a few seconds, giving you time to trigger another one of the things that will stun him for another few seconds, giving you time to... oh wait, he's dead).
Ragne, on the other hand, forces you to play defensively at times, and a single error can get you dead in an instant.(not to mention there's a second version of him which deals double damage just for the heck of it)

I'm not saying it's very hard, but it's definitely the hardest out of everything we have right now. Which says a lot.
Now let's see how hard the tundra bosses really are.

PS:inb4 someone tells me I should jump more.
PS2:let's put that under spoilers since it's completely off topic[/spoiler-box]