PDA

View Full Version : Would Instaling English Patch Get Us banned?

MetalestX
Jun 17, 2012, 06:50 PM
Or replacing files to make the game in English?

Coatl
Jun 17, 2012, 06:51 PM
It won't get us banned. :3

ashley50
Jun 17, 2012, 06:52 PM
Be a hero, and try it for everyone. lol

MetalestX
Jun 17, 2012, 06:54 PM
D:
I no like u D:<
they better make it in English D: but yeah most likely i will install it :P

AlMcFly
Jun 17, 2012, 06:54 PM
It shouldn't as it really only effects client-side material. If you were to alter aspects of the game that as a result would impact another individual's gameplay, then mostly likely there would be a problem. There isn't any feasible/economic way for Sega to scan your personal computer and see if your files are compromised.

Vylera
Jun 17, 2012, 06:55 PM
I think the first concern is when they decide to boot us non-Japanese people out of their servers.

GrandTickler
Jun 17, 2012, 06:56 PM
the old english patch doesnt work anymore. did u find a new 1?

AlMcFly
Jun 17, 2012, 06:56 PM
I think the first concern is when they decide to boot us non-Japanese people out of their servers.

Also, unless they are running out of room I don't think they will boot us off the server. If anything, from an economic standpoint, they would use the US population numbers to boost their own projections about how popular the game is. They benefit more by having us.

Fujiko
Jun 17, 2012, 07:03 PM
Technically yes that can ban for it. The question is, can they detect it in real time and will they ban for it? The ToS also says if your not playing from Japan (Was in the closed beta ToS if I remember right) you are breaking the rules too, thus can be banned.

From everything I have read, they only have gameguard protecting (SEGA cheaping out again) the game and is very easily bypassed. They do not have anything advanced like Blizzard's Warden. Of course I could be completely wrong, but have seen nothing mentioned from that "site that must not be named". So no mention of real time scanning of files outside of the file patcher check, which doesn't do any cheat detection or anything of that sort outside of repairing the client. Which is why it "detects the files" and deletes your patch.

I honestly don't think they will ban for it unless it gives some kinda in-game exploit, which it doesn't as far as I know. It is only client side and just changes the UI, nothing that gives anyone an advantage.

Dragwind
Jun 17, 2012, 07:08 PM
There is definitely potential to be banned from using an English patch. Can they detect it? Pretty much yes. Will they actually do something about it? Who knows.

buri-chan
Jun 17, 2012, 07:12 PM
It's against the TOS to alter the game client. This is pretty much universal of an online game. But it'd be way too much hassle to root out "offenders", it would be an advertising nightmare, and it's not harming the game itself so Sega will most likely lend a blind eye.

DemonMike
Jun 17, 2012, 07:14 PM
I imagine they'll turn a blind eye to English Patch users until the US release and start cracking down on it.

mctastee
Jun 17, 2012, 07:38 PM
I imagine they'll turn a blind eye to English Patch users until the US release and start cracking down on it.

I can see this happening. They don't stand to gain anything by letting us stay there after a US/EU release. However, assuming they do release it in US/EU, if they let us access all our data on the JP servers with the US/EU clients, I could live with that. Reason I say this is because I hear US/EU servers for PSO1 and PSU didn't see half the content updates the JP servers did. Feel free to correct me if I heard wrong.

Arande
Jun 17, 2012, 07:48 PM
Reason I say this is because I hear US/EU servers for PSO1 and PSU didn't see half the content updates the JP servers did. Feel free to correct me if I heard wrong.

9 months, over 9 months difference between JP and the NA server in terms of updates for PSU, not to mention less than half the events....

Ideally since connections, least from the US, seemed to be no problem, they just release an 'english' option for the language select instead of translating everything AND making new servers to manage. Either way, curious about this too until that option becomes available, if ever.

Lumir
Jun 17, 2012, 08:05 PM
9 months, over 9 months difference between JP and the NA server in terms of updates for PSU, not to mention less than half the events....

Ideally since connections, least from the US, seemed to be no problem, they just release an 'english' option for the language select instead of translating everything AND making new servers to manage. Either way, curious about this too until that option becomes available, if ever.

Wow I never thought of them allowing people to play from the US on Japanese servers with an english option for the game. That makes perfect sense, especially if US players can purchase items from their store. And from what I can tell there was no lag issues with the game. They have more then enough ships/blocks to house a lot of players.

This is an OUTSTANDING idea.

I can see it promoting a better economy and gaming experience. Managing one set of servers is way better then throwing us the SEAGA of America staff (unless ofc they changed their ways sinc PSO and PSU which I doubt). And think of all the good times you could have playing with Japanese players trying to communicate and fight a boss, that could be an epic situation. It would be like a world wide game where all regions are conneced with each other.

goldwing
Jun 17, 2012, 08:12 PM

Im sure we wouldnt even b able to play alphas 1,2 closed beta, or pre open beta if they had planned on not letting us play or boot us.

Jonth
Jun 17, 2012, 08:15 PM
Whether they ban me or not for using the patch, I'm still going to use it. I know a lot of people here are perfectly fine drudging through all the Japanese text to play, but I could barely stand it in Pre-Open. My point being, if I get banned for using the English patch, I am banned from a game I would otherwise not have much fun playing. So I'll play the game comfortably for a bit, get banned, and then wait for the localization.

Arande
Jun 17, 2012, 08:16 PM
Wow I never thought of them allowing people to play from the US on Japanese servers with an english option for the game. That makes perfect sense, especially if US players can purchase items from their store. And from what I can tell there was no lag issues with the game. They have more then enough ships/blocks to house a lot of players.

Not trying to be mean, but I am not sure if you are joking, or just weren't aware that language selection is in fact one of the options in the settings for the client. Of course there is Japanese only right now...

Khasar
Jun 17, 2012, 08:21 PM
the new eng patch does not work, just blank buttons with no text but it does work fro the PSO2 Character Creator

DemonMike
Jun 17, 2012, 08:21 PM

I can see it promoting a better economy and gaming experience. Managing one set of servers is way better then throwing us the SEAGA of America staff (unless ofc they changed their ways sinc PSO and PSU which I doubt). And think of all the good times you could have playing with Japanese players trying to communicate and fight a boss, that could be an epic situation. It would be like a world wide game where all regions are conneced with each other.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. Sega of America would be required to be actively translating things as they are developed and it's pretty well known that SoA and SoJ do not get along very well despite being regional divisions of the same company, which is incredibly amusing.

But the biggest thing that would prevent it is promotional items like the KFC and Pizza Hut goods, anime costumes and product based missions etc. These are bound to happen as well as ingame advertising bulletins that can only happen with the license holders consent which is extremly messy in western markets. We're destined to be segregated from Japanese players because of this crap.

Zaix
Jun 17, 2012, 08:24 PM
the new eng patch does not work, just blank buttons with no text but it does work fro the PSO2 Character Creator

The Character Creator patch still works as it doesn't get updated. (Note: standalone CC, not in game)

Lintor
Jun 17, 2012, 08:25 PM
I have an objection to one of the biggest arguments against IP banning.
You speak from a personal bias, that capitalism trumps all, however, I bet you know of at least 1 other JP MMO to block foreign connections, and truth is, they CAN be elitist.
will SEGA be? Not likely by a long shot in my view. But it is WELL within the realm of possible that they refuse international connections.

Additionally, there is no reason why they couldn't detect an English patch if they wanted to, but that again is up to your opinion of how elitist SEGA is (not very I think).

Also, someone mentioned nProtect GameGaurd? People are already finding it possible to edit the memory for wall hacks/infinite PP, (it can't detect Cheat Engine running as an x64 process) so yeah, GameGuard is beyond a joke, and I hope for the sake of the game, they do implement something better. And if that something better prevents client files form being modified for any reason, sorry, but its a price to pay.

You know the GUI hook of Steam\xfire\raptr break the ToS of a lot of MMO? Assuming the Anti cheat software doesn't just crash the game for it.

I've never had a game ban me for using an english patch, and while I'm not using one now, I'd bet you're likely safe... 95% sure, the other 5% being they patch it where its impossible.

Post Script: The game has code in place for multiple languages/locale, though I would imagine this is more for the EU, I don't foresee international play.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. Sega of America would be required to be actively translating things as they are developed and it's pretty well known that SoA and SoJ do not get along very well despite being regional divisions of the same company, which is incredibly amusing.

But the biggest thing that would prevent it is promotional items like the KFC and Pizza Hut goods, anime costumes and product based missions etc. These are bound to happen as well as ingame advertising bulletins that can only happen with the license holders consent which is extremly messy in western markets. We're destined to be segregated from Japanese players because of this crap.

Don't forget, if the publisher outside of Japan is a 3rd party and not SEGA (common for f2p games) than it might be in their contract some sort of non competition where they'd have to region lock the game.

Zaix
Jun 17, 2012, 08:29 PM
Don't forget, if the publisher outside of Japan is a 3rd party and not SEGA (common for f2p games) than it might be in their contract some sort of non competition where they'd have to region lock the game.

A 3rd party publisher is highly unlikely.

Lumir
Jun 17, 2012, 08:45 PM

Activly translating things is a common occurence with games, and im sure they have the staffing and resources to do so. Its much easier when given all the tools and understanding the structure the game was made in. If a couple of non-sega employees can figure out the coding structure and create an unofficial english patch aka modified text file, im sure SoA can do the same but much faster since they will have all the information the need instead of having to figure out structures and compatability.

Its sad to hear that the SoJ branch and the SoA branch dont get along. In fact thats really sad.

And about those promotional items that you listed, if there was a license issue they could simply not allow players without a Japanese IP to access them (similar to how youtube blocks some regions from some content). Though since the servers are hosted in Japan that shouldnt be an issue even if they open up the servers to other countries because it still hosted in Japan. Im not versed in the online licensing laws with things like that but I see it as an extremely limiting factor for any globally connected situation.

Not trying to be mean, but I am not sure if you are joking, or just weren't aware that language selection is in fact one of the options in the settings for the client. Of course there is Japanese only right now...

No im very serious that it could really work if they could figure out the licencing issues. I was aware of the language selector in the settings area but its worhtless for this idea until other languages are available.

Lintor
Jun 17, 2012, 08:47 PM
A 3rd party publisher is highly unlikely.

Not denying that, frankly I wouldn't have even considered it, were it not brought to my attention that Atlus (yes, not as big as SEGA, but does 1st party publishing in NA and even has an MMO portal) for a long time didn't publish its on Shin Megami Tensei MMO, and had a 3rd party do it.

I'm merely covering my bases with all possibilities, particularly ones with set precedent. Though some may be more unlikely (even grossly so) considering the size of SEGA, less likely things have happened.

Side note, SEGA acquired Three Rings recently, publisher of Spiral Knights and Puzzle Pirates, so that can fuel further speculation (PSO2 on Steam's f2p section?)

Arande
Jun 17, 2012, 08:48 PM
I know it's probably a bit off topic, but I just wanted to point out the irony: Block non-JP players, still accept American Express and other American credit cards...

Whether using a payment company that lists easily handling foreign payments as a feature is a sign of hope or not, who knows.

Lumir
Jun 17, 2012, 08:53 PM
I know it's probably a bit off topic, but I just wanted to point out the irony: Block non-JP players, still accept American Express and other American credit cards...

Whether using a payment company that lists easily handling foreign payments as a feature is a sign of hope or not, who knows.

Details like this and the language option leave open up alot of potential for PSO2 Guess will just have to wait and see.

moorebounce
Jun 17, 2012, 09:02 PM
People keep saying could they detect it. Of course they could. Thats what they were doing in the CBT. The first time you fired it up it would detect the altered files and replace them. After that you could put the altered files back and go about your business. In POBT they checked it every time and I would assume from now on thats whats gonna happen.

Lintor
Jun 17, 2012, 09:14 PM
People keep saying could they detect it. Of course they could. Thats what they were doing in the CBT. The first time you fired it up it would detect the altered files and replace them. After that you could put the altered files back and go about your business. In POBT they checked it every time and I would assume from now on thats whats gonna happen.

Thats what every MMO ever does. But see, that's just fixing what it sees as broken files. I'd be willing to bet, that at least right now, it doesn't check modified files at runtime, so it actually isn't 'detecting' anything right now, just fixing 'broken' files.

Vintasticvin
Jun 17, 2012, 09:15 PM
Look you all just chill out and relax. Its bad enough we're breaking the T.O.S. by just being on their servers. For thr sake of other non JP players just stick to a translation charts like we do on psu.

Its simple as that and most of you crying for a regional release are just gonna go back to JP servers so if you who are going to fight for a version thats outside the jp region you best stick with it even if we are behind on updates YOU BETTER stick to your regional server. It sickens me when people arnt true to what they say.

shiink
Jun 17, 2012, 10:10 PM
In all honestly considering how long people have been "importing" and playing on the JP servers for PSU, buying GC and paying for subscriptions with american credit cards (myself included) I doubt there will be an IP ban. With all technicalities aside I feel as though Sega will lend the blind eye to the foreigners and they will be subject to every other consequence to infraction that the JP players would aside from not living in japan.

Granted patching the game in english is new, however it does not grant players any game-breaking advantage and does no harm. I don't and refuse to use that patch. Even though some of us in this community can understand most of the UI and menus as they are, I know quite a few people that do not know a lick of japanese and played PSU and the PSO2 Alpha and Betas just fine. Stop being lazy and use your resources. People have given you the benefit of translating stuff for us to understand and enjoy the game. Not only have people posted guides but I know that some of us have been able to lend a hand in both the community IRC and Mumble servers when it comes to translation. </2¢>

xBladeM6x
Jun 17, 2012, 10:15 PM
No, it will not get you banned. Why? Because GameGuard doesn't scan those files. You're fine. I used the English patch the whole Closed Beta, and nothing. On all 3 accounts I had for it.

That wasn't GameGuard scanning for "illegal changes" though. That's the client updater looking for anything that doesn't match the patch it's attempting to install, and replaces it with the now "original patch". Again, nothing to worry about.

Lumir
Jun 18, 2012, 12:36 AM
Ok lets set things strait about this english patch. Before I dive into that you must understand one thing.

PSO2 has CLIENT SIDE and SERVER SIDE operations.

CLIENT SIDE: Data such as TEXT, 3D MODELS, MUSIC, ECT (basic structure)

SERVER SIDE: Game code, execution, communication, client inspection, ect (interacts with the basic structure and tells it how and what to do)

This is a really rugged example but it should give you the idea. Now lets get back to the ENGLISH patch people are talking about. The English patch is a CLIENT SIDE modification of a file that contains TEXT. Its a modified file in the language and structure PSO2 is coded/scripted in. Credits to the people who make such fan based patches as they have to work to find out what language, structure, and coding/scripting the TEXT file is made of, then modify it keeping the integrity of that language, structure, coding/scripting so it works with the SERVER.

So what happens when you put this ENGLISH patch into PSO2? It replaces the file containing the Japanese text with a nearly identical file that has been modified to English text.

Is this detectable when running the game? NO. Why? Because it would take an enormous amount of resources (aka coding dedicated scanning servers) to constantly scan player CLIENTS while in the game, while running the game at the same time. Also it can be seen as a breach of privacy as it is scanning your PCs files without your permission.

So why does the ENGLISH PATCH get detected when patching the CLIENT? Because like all good patchers, it scans the integrity of the CLIENT (aka the files on your computer) for consistency. Why does it do this? To check for ERRORS and fix them. And something not listed in its database is seen as an error and it patches them to match its database. Something like a custom ENGLISH patch is a custom change by the user not by the programers at SEGA and so it would not be in the database of the patcher. Once it gets to this ENGLISH PATCH file and compares it with its database, it sees it as an ERROR as its not the same as the one made by SEGA and fixes/corrects it to match SEGA's database.

Arika
Jun 18, 2012, 12:43 AM
-They has the right to ban you.
-They won't ban you.

Fujiko
Jun 18, 2012, 01:01 AM
Is this detectable when running the game? NO. Why? Because it would take an enormous amount of resources (aka coding dedicated scanning servers) to constantly scan player CLIENTS while in the game, while running the game at the same time. Also it can be seen as a breach of privacy as it is scanning your PCs files without your permission.

Pretty much everything you said is spot on. The only reason why the patcher "detected" those files is because it was checking the integrity of them.

Every patcher does this, so it can fix the game if anything in the files break or become corrupted.

You install english patch -> new patch released forcing a file check, launcher says these files are corrupted and new patch data is missing -> launcher redownloads the files removing your english patch + downloads new update -> you install english patch again and play the game

People need to calm down about it, you will not get banned for using an English patch.

Porkmaster
Jun 18, 2012, 06:45 AM
Can they ban us? Absolutely.
Will they ban us? No.

Scyris
Jun 18, 2012, 11:57 AM
It would be nice I'd nto mind connecting to the japanese servers to play pso2 as long as I can have the game in english, I mean not like there is alot to translate for pso2, even Psu single player story didn't have all that much text. I'd even settle for a cheaply done google translate translation. Then again all I need really is the UI, items, menus and maybe the emergency codes translated so I know what to do for them.

Also technacally the patch is banable but did anyone hear about cb testers getting banned for it? if not, they probally will turn a blind eye to it, especally if the english speakers spend some in the cash shop. I just hope when/if sega does bring this stateside they actually support the damn game and not treat it as just a piece of trash like they did with psu. Like I said before pso2 and psu didn't have much that needed translation so.. I never got why there was a 9 month delay between the us and jp ver.

Scyris
Jun 18, 2012, 12:46 PM
Not denying that, frankly I wouldn't have even considered it, were it not brought to my attention that Atlus (yes, not as big as SEGA, but does 1st party publishing in NA and even has an MMO portal) for a long time didn't publish its on Shin Megami Tensei MMO, and had a 3rd party do it.

I'm merely covering my bases with all possibilities, particularly ones with set precedent. Though some may be more unlikely (even grossly so) considering the size of SEGA, less likely things have happened.

Side note, SEGA acquired Three Rings recently, publisher of Spiral Knights and Puzzle Pirates, so that can fuel further speculation (PSO2 on Steam's f2p section?)

Sega would make a mint, if it was on steam, 3-4 million people a day are on steam constantly.

Peejay
Jun 18, 2012, 12:57 PM
As a futher example, Steam has the ability to let people buy in-game cash for numerous F2P games as it is. You know APB? Gamersfirst relies on numerous silly, overcomplicated ways to do it first-hand, but Steam actually allows Paypal, which just makes it that much easier to obtain that fancy permanent golden sniper rifle or whatever you want.

However, to even get on Steam, you actually need to pay them a licensing fee and all that sort of crap so the game and the payment system would even work together. I imagine that'll be a headache and a half for SEGA, which already seems to struggle with localization.

Revlis-Desilver
Jun 18, 2012, 01:18 PM
I'm not certain they'll ban people for using the patch
But it's a jap game on jap servers it's not that difficult to play in Japanese. Dont forget it's going to be a free to play with the options of adding stuff for money how many mmo's are like that. Why would sega risk losing an advantage like that in the current economical climate. And I don't think there going to turn down money from anywhere.

FOODFOOD
Jun 18, 2012, 01:25 PM
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure GameGuard detects that you have an English patch and whites out everything.

Rauten
Jun 18, 2012, 01:38 PM
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure GameGuard detects that you have an English patch and whites out everything.

It didn't for the CBT2; You have waaaay too much faith in GameGuard.

While it does go against the TOS/EULA, I doubt they'll ban anyone for it. It's a clause most online games add so if they find anyone tampering with stuff they shouldn't, they can just drop the banhammer and be done with it.

FOODFOOD
Jun 18, 2012, 01:48 PM
It did for Pre-Open Beta though. I had the english patch, and it whited out everything. To fix it, I checked for patches, and it said that GameGuard was patching.

The_Brimada
Jun 18, 2012, 01:51 PM
Honestly, in most TOS it says you can get banned when they feel like banning you and not entitled to tell us why either. So yes you can get banned, but no I doubt you will.

Peejay
Jun 18, 2012, 01:52 PM
It did for Pre-Open Beta though. I had the english patch, and it whited out everything. To fix it, I checked for patches, and it said that GameGuard was patching.

That's because PSO2 is going the route of minecraft and relying on file obfuscation so you can't simply replace the same files. You actually end up replacing the wrong thing since, oh look, they switched everything around to mess with you.

Vashyron
Jun 18, 2012, 01:53 PM

The situation was already explained pretty clear already;

Ok lets set things strait about this english patch. Before I dive into that you must understand one thing.

PSO2 has CLIENT SIDE and SERVER SIDE operations.

CLIENT SIDE: Data such as TEXT, 3D MODELS, MUSIC, ECT (basic structure)

SERVER SIDE: Game code, execution, communication, client inspection, ect (interacts with the basic structure and tells it how and what to do)

This is a really rugged example but it should give you the idea. Now lets get back to the ENGLISH patch people are talking about. The English patch is a CLIENT SIDE modification of a file that contains TEXT. Its a modified file in the language and structure PSO2 is coded/scripted in. Credits to the people who make such fan based patches as they have to work to find out what language, structure, and coding/scripting the TEXT file is made of, then modify it keeping the integrity of that language, structure, coding/scripting so it works with the SERVER.

So what happens when you put this ENGLISH patch into PSO2? It replaces the file containing the Japanese text with a nearly identical file that has been modified to English text.

So why does the ENGLISH PATCH get detected when patching the CLIENT? Because like all good patchers, it scans the integrity of the CLIENT (aka the files on your computer) for consistency. Why does it do this? To check for ERRORS and fix them. And something not listed in its database is seen as an error and it patches them to match its database. Something like a custom ENGLISH patch is a custom change by the user not by the programers at SEGA and so it would not be in the database of the patcher. Once it gets to this ENGLISH PATCH file and compares it with its database, it sees it as an ERROR as its not the same as the one made by SEGA and fixes/corrects it to match SEGA's database.

No, everything being blanked with the old Patch was due to them removing the ability for the game to read the old .ice file format, also everything being blanked was a fail-safe instead of crashing the game.

GG being updated was a coincidence.

DoubleCannon
Jun 18, 2012, 01:59 PM
Be a hero, and try it for everyone. lol

Am I the only one who laughed my ass off at this comment. haha made my day

Neirene
Jun 18, 2012, 02:15 PM
Back in the day when PSOBB was released on japan in 2004 there were similar topics to this one as I recall on this same forums about ways to actually play in english, however I always recommended the english players that were playing over there until the release of the US version to do not use those kind of modifications they can actually detect more than you think and they actually had very evil ways to ban people on psobb back in the day.

Yet I still heard about english players using certain mods and not getting banned at all but you had to be extremely careful, during the psobb open beta there was a problem too and is that japanese players started to report any english speaking player just for the sake of it, as far i can remember it was due some insult exchange that happened between some english players and japanese players.

Suddenly all the rooms were locked and you could get greet right after entering a room with words like "gaijin get out of here!" of course the fact that they see players from overseas cheating often didn't helped to relief the situation.

When i was left "alone" and all the english players left the situation started to get better for non-japanese speaking players GMs many times saw me talking in english but never dared to ban me at all they just replied to my questions in japanese (but they actually understood perfectly what i was asking for / talking about in english).

When i entered back in the day to PSOBB was my first time trying a japanese game with japanese people i had no knowledge about the language at all but i think it's all about how much are you willing to learn to actually "enjoy" the game you love to play the most.

This is just an advice i would like to share with all of you i know it's really hard to understand the language but you got a very big incentive! to keep playing PSO2 and who knows maybe learn some japanese on the way? you never know when a second/third language might be useful for you in the future and you wont be voiding any rules from the game.

Very sorry for this long reply!

blazingsonic
Jun 18, 2012, 02:35 PM
Look you all just chill out and relax. Its bad enough we're breaking the T.O.S. by just being on their servers. For thr sake of other non JP players just stick to a translation charts like we do on psu.

Its simple as that and most of you crying for a regional release are just gonna go back to JP servers so if you who are going to fight for a version thats outside the jp region you best stick with it even if we are behind on updates YOU BETTER stick to your regional server. It sickens me when people arnt true to what they say.

I actually agree, I mean wow, just reading that, I posted on the Portable board asking has PSP2i has dropped in price yet, I don't intend on trying to play on the JP server, but it' even getting the game is more of a what if idea, I was wondering some of the same people here would be cheering on for a US release then talk about how cool the JP servers are, I always scratched my head on it, No if this game comes out in US and I have a PC to play it, actually I DO have a computer that can play it on a low setting and that's better than nothing, but I'm just getting a better one, but as for what you said and another person saying how it's not worth jumping through hoops to play a game not made for me. I say thank you every time temptation to try and play a non localized Phantasy Star game cross my mind, one of you would remind me on how that's not a hot idea. Thank you.

FOODFOOD
Jun 18, 2012, 02:44 PM
The situation was already explained pretty clear already;

No, everything being blanked with the old Patch was due to them removing the ability for the game to read the old .ice file format, also everything being blanked was a fail-safe instead of crashing the game.

GG being updated was a coincidence.

Aha, thanks for clearing that up!

Ryoga4523
Jun 18, 2012, 02:55 PM
I was pretty scared of playing this game in japanese, but after playing through the pre-open beta this weekend, it was not nearly as scary as it may seem. If you love playing pso, then you will play the game. You may miss out on some nuances here and there, but if the 3 other ppl in your room all speak english, then you probably aren't going to even realize that the game is in a completely different language. The game has a surprising amount of visual aids when it comes to changing weapons, swapping on the fly, and upgrading techs. Like another user mentioned, just stick to the online tutorials and translations.