PDA

View Full Version : Analyzing numbers / What character did you choose and why?

LuneFox
Jun 17, 2012, 07:56 PM
Let's take a look at the results of closed beta once again.
These diagrams show distribution of players' characters.
I wasn't surprised seeing results like these:
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1950&pictureid=28430 http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1950&pictureid=28427
Most of players start playing as human hunter, as expected. Humans are well balanced and good for testing all 3 classes, and hunters always had the best battle dynamics (at least in all previous PS online games).

But I want to take a deeper look at these diagrams:
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1950&pictureid=28428 http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1950&pictureid=28429
Oh my god. Did all men die out on the war? Well yeah, girls are cute and every guy wants to make a "girl of your dream", especially with the new character creation system. (Also it's not a secret that over 80% of players are men). Real girls just make "better versions" of themseles, so we have even more female characters. I guess that's why they're dominating. It all can be understood, but I want to ask everyone personally, what motivated you to create a female character, if you played as one? I'll attach a poll with some answers to this thread.
And second question, why did everyone dislike newman males so that only 4,5% of players choose them? Some people can say that they look gay (judging by the presets), but I disagree. I created a very manly newman ranger for coming open beta:
[SPOILER-BOX]http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1950&pictureid=28401

Edit: Your chars face looks almost exactly like Walter Sobcheck (John Goodman)
Love it!!
Lol, really? x) I think he's similar to this guy wearing Walter's sunglasses.

http://media.80stees.com/images/products/The_Big_Lebowski_Sun-Glasses.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]
(Right, I hid his short ears behind the accessories.)

And yes, one more question: does low popularity of some character types motivate you to create one of them just to be unique, well-known and easily-recognized?

And here goes your pole, as promised xD
[SPOILER-BOX]http://www.darksteelreplica.com/images/P/staff_2.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

BIG OLAF
Jun 17, 2012, 08:01 PM
what motivated you to create a female character, if you played as one? I'll attach a pole with some answers to this thread.

That would certainly solve the issues of 'too many females', huh?

:wacko:

*crickets*

:disapprove:

..fine. Anyway, I play primarily female characters because, well, it's fun. I figure I'm a man in the real world 24/7, so why not utilize the opposite option where and when available? I make some male characters too, but not nearly as much.

Also, I like playing dress-up in these types of games. Sure, others may think it's "weird", but I don't, uh, really care.

No one would probably be able to tell, but I used to be one of those douchey, "if you play girl characters then you're a faggot" -type dudes, but now I think it's a lot of fun. I changed my tune after making my first female character ever in any game, back on PSU. Was a CAST named "DoomDrive", but I ended up becoming jealous of the fleshy clothes options, so I deleted her and made a certain blue-haired female Beast (as I thought female Beasts were the cutest), and then...well...yeah. The rest is history.

Simple reason. Nothing special.

Zaix
Jun 17, 2012, 08:02 PM
My character choice comes from PSU. Back in the beginning of PSU, Female Beasts were the rarest race sex combo. I chose to make one. I just grew to like her, so I recreated her as best as I could in PSO2, although she got a little more grown up to better account for my current tastes.

Edit: Come to think of it, that's what started me using female characters in most games...Curse you PSU!!! Nah I have no regrets.

~Inu~
Jun 17, 2012, 08:03 PM
I never really even pay attention to my character when i'm playing, it's just me and the game.
I just thought male casts were TOO bulky, that's all.

Edit: Your chars face looks almost exactly like Walter Sobcheck (John Goodman)
Love it!!

goldwing
Jun 17, 2012, 08:03 PM
Humar cause im following the blood line of jack (my first pso char)After. Guys are hunters girls rangers. But my main is always the son of my last main so im a guy always.

Gardios
Jun 17, 2012, 08:05 PM
I'm playing a male human because that's what I usually roll, I usually have a female character as a secondary char though. The only reason why I have a human over a newman is because the only difference (aside from stats) are the ears and I'm too lazy to remake him as a newman.

FenixStryk
Jun 17, 2012, 08:07 PM
FOnewearl, because it's the best race for Force.

Also: JP loves their waifus.

KaoPyro
Jun 17, 2012, 08:13 PM
I normally play a very specific type of male character and name him Kao Pyro. However I discovered a female character that I really liked how she looked so I'll be playing her in PSO2 instead. Who knows, maybe it'll keep me in the game longer than I've been with other games.

LuneFox
Jun 17, 2012, 08:13 PM
That would certainly solve the issues of 'too many females', huh?
Haha, you got me xD That happens when I'm trying to type quickly. Poll, pole. Yeah, it sounds differently, but I think I can be excused because english is my second language :3
Just a typo. Okay, I'll attach a pole as well xD Just for you.

D-Inferno
Jun 17, 2012, 08:14 PM
You should add an option in the poll for "I'm male, and use male characters", as well as "I use a female if it offers something significant that a male character doesn't in gameplay". Those are my basic thoughts. Character differences are small, so gender isn't too big of a deal. Do note that HUmarl and FOmar might be lacking in ATP/MST compared to their other counter part though. Marl shares ATP with both newmans; Mar has a bit of a MST disadvantage (but at least has a little moreHP and ATP for rod damage).

buri-chan
Jun 17, 2012, 08:18 PM
Y'see, back in PSO, HUnewearl was broken as hell. Walk into a room, Rafoie everything to cinders, slap what's left with my Grass Assassin Blades, then Resta and have my TP regen'd by the time I reached the next room. I didn't even carry mates; just fluids. Then I tried that with PSU and it was awful. Then PSP came and it wasn't quite as bad anymore, but still not good. Now with the promise of cross-class weapons, I might finally be able to get back to being the magic knight I've wanted to be.

LuneFox
Jun 17, 2012, 08:18 PM
PSO2 genders also have stat differences? Hmm, I didn't know that. And "I'm male, and use male characters" equals "I never play as female characters", doesn't it?

Strider_M
Jun 17, 2012, 08:20 PM
I have been told that females outnumber males 7 to 1 IRL.

I haven't checked on that but, what's also interesting is I've been told that females play male characters online (those who don't want to be harrassed).

Which is directly aganist the statement "There are no girls on the internet."

"Well there's certianly girls on Phantasy Star"

Whoever designed those clothes had some CRAZY ideas! I don't know if I should call him a genius! He was probably like: "I want to put a window on the chest part of this outfit! I want to see some Big Blue Eight-thousand-eights!!!"

..... oh right I didn't answer.

I main male and alternatively play female. I was a female in the closed beta because I knew I wasn't going to be permanently playing as her. Also I was trying to perfect the Character creator.

jaychaulives
Jun 17, 2012, 08:22 PM
I always play male since I'm a male and I assume everybody else is male unless proved other wise.
Off topic-is hunter chosen a lot more because they are better than other classes in terms of overall ability to clear mobs? or because it's a fun class?

mctastee
Jun 17, 2012, 08:24 PM
I typically play HUmar. You can never go wrong with HUmar. However, when I role a force I go female since forces generally look effeminate to me anyway. Also as inu said, I typically don't pay much attention to my character when I play.

BIG OLAF
Jun 17, 2012, 08:26 PM
Whoever designed those clothes had some CRAZY ideas! I don't know if I should call him a genius! He was probably like: "I want to put a window on the chest part of this outfit! I want to see some Big Blue Eight-thousand-eights!!!"

huehuehuehuehue...

Actually, if you look at the outfit (http://i.imgur.com/Nr5GM.jpg), it has a zipper at the bottom of the opening (the little white thing). But, the way the chest is opened, and how the zipper is, it looks as if the character tried to zip it up, but it simply couldn't make the the climb over the mountain, y'know?

It took me a while to notice it, myself.

LuneFox
Jun 17, 2012, 08:32 PM
Actually, if you look at the outfit (http://i.imgur.com/Nr5GM.jpg), it has a zipper at the bottom of the opening (the little white thing). But, the way the chest is opened, and how the zipper is, it looks as if the character tried to zip it up, but it simply couldn't make the the climb over the mountain, y'know?
It took me a while to notice it, myself.
Yeah, exactly O.o Welcome to Japan =P

D-Inferno
Jun 17, 2012, 08:34 PM
PSO2 genders also have stat differences? Hmm, I didn't know that. And "I'm male, and use male characters" equals "I never play as female characters", doesn't it?

Didn't catch that option for some reason. But yeah, no females here unless it's got something significant.

Vylera
Jun 17, 2012, 08:39 PM
I play the gender that I think has the most interesting design, which usually entitles that I cycle through all the options for both genders.

I ended up liking female cast customization the most.

Voted: Another reason

Ghost Inside
Jun 17, 2012, 09:04 PM
You should add an option in the poll for "I'm male, and use male characters", as well as "I use a female if it offers something significant that a male character doesn't in gameplay". Those are my basic thoughts. Character differences are small, so gender isn't too big of a deal. Do note that HUmarl and FOmar might be lacking in ATP/MST compared to their other counter part though. Marl shares ATP with both newmans; Mar has a bit of a MST disadvantage (but at least has a little moreHP and ATP for rod damage).
Well... I was thinking something along those lines too.
I don't know, "I'm female IRL." sounds a bit...
Well, lacking (like how it that a reason?); Alternatively like you're just assuming girls just play as girls.

I don't play male characters because for me I'm living through mine in whatever world is in question.

And I just can't relate to guys very well at all for the most part. It's like that with other types of games/movies/anime etc as well!
I always prefer a lead that I can relate to, usually (but not always) that means some female character!
And... Well... Quite frankly there's a lot of things I avoid or just won't catch my interest with a male lead.
Which... Kind of sucks if you think about it, since most of the time it's all about some guy! >.<
(Just think of movies for example? I don't like movies much. <.<)

So games like PSO2 where you make your own are nice because they let me pick the lead!
And I like to think of my avatar(s) as being me or some representation of me or however you want to word it.
And being able to choose what you look like is awesome~♥!

But not everyone is like me though! Others like to think of their avatar differently (I don't know, more like it's own character maybe?)
or just don't think too much at all about it! And this goes for all genders!
It's not too unusual for me to run across women playing male characters.

Edit: Oh um... And I didn't pick anything, wasn't in the altha/beta/anything.

LuneFox
Jun 17, 2012, 09:11 PM
I don't know, "I'm female IRL." sounds a bit...
Well, lacking (like how it that a reason?); Alternatively like you're just assuming girls just play as girls.

Yeah, you're right. Girls usually play as girls, but exceptions also take place. But little exceptions won't cause any strong influence on the counting up result.
And they also have same options to answer that they don't play female characters, or play both male and female.
Being a female IRL is just one of the reasons to play as a girl.

Home Dog
Jun 17, 2012, 09:16 PM
Originally started playing a female character for role playing purposes.

PSU is the only RPG I really got into to stay on for a very long time. I used to make only male characters on PSU and in fact my main character was a male. It wasn't until I saw a cute anime character named Mikuru Asahina that I wanted to make a female character.

I made a female Newman character named Mikuru look similar to the one in the anime. Originally it was just for fun, but then I ended up leveling to a 75 during an event because I just wanted to do something besides MF. I was going to delete her but then I was like "This character is cute, level 75 Acrofighter LV20, and has some pretty good weapons." So I kept her hoping I would become a better Acrofighter. But that wasn't the case. My male MF was my main. She became more like a character to play on when I got bored.

At the time I had no idea female Newmans had more TP than male Newmans. So as soon as I heard that, I started thinking about making a female MF. For a while I couldn't decide whether to make a female MF or just stay on my male. I didn't want to restart.

2 months later, Mikuru was level 139 and I really wanted to become a better MF. So I decided to make Mikuru a MF and grinded her to 180 in 2 weeks. Then I continued playing as her and i still do.

So anyways, I think I just got used to playing as a female. I loved the variety of clothes that female characters could choose from. When I play as a male now, it is just not exciting? I don't really know how to describe it. I can still play as them though. I plan on having a male character in PSO 2 as well.

Neo Flint
Jun 17, 2012, 09:16 PM
I primary make female characters because I personally feel that we could use more strong heroines in games, and irl for that matter. Sex appeal is nice, but I'd hardly ever slide the breast slider all the way to the right or make them wear the most revealing outfit in existence unless it really looks good on them and fits their personally.

I also always make them bi or lesbian in roleplays. :3

sugarFO
Jun 17, 2012, 09:19 PM
I am female IRL and also I played FOmarl in PSO to level 175 or something. I loved her because she could do anything I wanted. I could shoot a gun if I wanted, or heal/support, or nuke. And she did it in a pretty dress which I thought was just awesome because you don't really see that in too many games. I felt feminine and powerful. It's great.

Ghost Inside
Jun 17, 2012, 09:20 PM
Yeah, you're right. Girls usually play as girls, but exceptions also take place. But little exceptions won't cause any strong influence on the counting up result.
And they also have same options to answer that they don't play female characters, or play both male and female.
Being a female IRL is just one of the reasons to play as a girl.
Umm... I still wouldn't say it's a reason as in cause/motive.
It's more of a... Bias/predisposition.

Call it nitpicking if you like!

I mean... There are guys who play as guys for the exact same reasons I play female characters. And still you have a large portion of men playing female characters!
I feel like my gender is more incidental rather than causual on this point.
It's because my brain works a certain way in how I think about my character(s), if I were a guy it'd be the same cause but with a different outcome.

Er... If I'm making any sort of sense? I shouldn't be making arguments at 4 am. -.-

Kion
Jun 17, 2012, 09:21 PM
In PSO2 i was going to make a male character, except I really don't like the clothes option for the guys. I really had no choice but to make a loli with huge boobs. I'm the victim here.

Zaix
Jun 17, 2012, 09:25 PM
I really had no choice but to make a loli with huge boobs.

Question: How does one get such a thing forced upon them?

Kion
Jun 17, 2012, 09:25 PM
Sarcasm.

BIG OLAF
Jun 17, 2012, 09:26 PM
Ack, preschoolers with huge busts! The very bane of my existence.

buri-chan
Jun 17, 2012, 09:28 PM
If this is going to devolve into talk about oppai lolis, I can only wholeheartedly endorse it.

LuneFox
Jun 17, 2012, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I see. Anyway, I just want to hear many opinions. I'm trying to stop myself judging the public in a single way, which is, "everyone wants a smexy character that's why they make females". I want to be convinced that everyone has his own story and motivations, and to explain the female character domination in the game.

futamieriko
Jun 17, 2012, 09:30 PM
I find strong female characters pretty badass, personally. For the first few years of playing MMOs I played male characters exclusively and when a female character came along and dominated it stood out because I rarely saw them. Eventually that just kind of stuck and I started playing them myself.

Neo Flint
Jun 17, 2012, 09:30 PM
Did you already explain your preference, Lune?

BIG OLAF
Jun 17, 2012, 09:41 PM
If this is going to devolve into talk about oppai lolis, I can only wholeheartedly endorse it.

Naw, I was just momentarily voicing my extreme displeasure in all things loli. The topic will now continue in it's intended direction.

MAXrobo
Jun 17, 2012, 09:42 PM
I have always played a male cast is PSO games, but I almost played a female cast this time because I was having a hard time making a male cast that I thought looked good. but right before closed beta I made a cool looking (and slightly goofy) get up for him so now he is my main.
I still have the female as an alt, but changed her to a newman so the stats wouldn't be too similar.

LuneFox
Jun 17, 2012, 09:48 PM
Did you already explain your preference, Lune?
Oh, exactly.

Well, usually it depends on the game I'm playing and people I'm playing with.

If I like the game, I usually create male characters to represent myself, and I'm trying to be kind, powerful, generous, helping and respectable person among other players. And I adore it the most of all.

If I don't like the game or it looks boring, I usually create cute females and start acting like a girl in order to have fun and see what means to be female in online games (the way people are talking to you, concessions they make). In other words, to see an MMORPG world with an eyes of a girl. Of course I change my character too, I play a whimsical, choosy but cute girls of ages 16~19. But I never do it in front of my friends or people whom I know. P.S. Some people ask to talk to them on Skype to get convinced that there's a real girl playing with them, then I call my girlfriend to chat with them for awhile or change my voice with a program (btw it works well) for few minutes if she's sleeping or just busy.
But the only rule I observe when acting like a female, is to never ask for items or money from other players. Because I'm not a scammer, but a fair player.

Of course there are exceptions. I like to make well known or favourite characters from movies and games, and I always remain myself if I play as one of them and even if they're women. It can be Nei or Shilka from Phantasy Star 2 (my favourite phantasy star characters) or even Lara Croft.

That's it.

buri-chan
Jun 17, 2012, 09:51 PM
Naw, I was just momentarily voicing my extreme displeasure in all things loli. The topic will now continue in it's intended direction.

If it has to, I guess.

LK1721
Jun 17, 2012, 09:56 PM
Ever since I played PSO for the first time, I always have played a RAmarl or a HUcast. So I am always biased to those two class types in PS games. Though, RAmarl has always been my favorite, so I incarnate her again in PSO2. I, myself am a girl, but I generally just play whatever I like most at any given time. For example, in PSU, I played a Male Beast, but in PSP2 I played a Female Human and Male Cast. Generally I just do whatever I feel like when creating a character.

Lintor
Jun 17, 2012, 10:06 PM
~Male Human (Hunter)

So, for me, I always play a female in anything really. Partly cause I used to have some gender identity issues, thats basically resolved, but its still in my nature to generally make and play as. Plus, by not playing it up that I am a girl, I'm often a more convincing female than most people online who swear they really are.

I'm actually playing as a male human mostly as coincidence. In the character creator, I made my ideal female newman (force), I made my ideal loli robot (ranger), so as a third, I made a human male (hunter) resembling myself mostly... I have better eyes honestly.

Than when I went to play, I decided I was gonna play hunter for the first time ever, so I used my male, and what with the one slot... Now I'm gonna keep using him, because, he was fun to play, so its kinda just happened for the first time I'm playing as a male.

Also started TERA recently with the free trial, made a slayer there too, but that's a female, so I'm not really changing my nature. It just more natural to me.

~There's your numbers, your reasons, and whatever else you may need.

RAnewearl
Jun 17, 2012, 10:18 PM
Girls play girls because they're girls. Its true :) for me anyway. I love to make cute girl chars! Plus virtual guys are NEVER as appealing as real guys, especially when you have an awesome bf ;)

-Coming from a irl girl-

NoiseHERO
Jun 17, 2012, 10:21 PM
I don't like playing as female characters... like at all, I feel distanced from the character, which kind of breaks the sense of adventure, immersion and the feeling of having a character that represents "you." I like to put a little bit of my self in all of my original characters, even the females so some extent, ironically. But that's mostly to form the kind of girl I would be interested in. (Personality wise, appearance wise would be related to the next thing I'm about to type:

I DO however love MAKING and or DRAWING female characters. Obviously growing up a boy into a manchild it's all action heros and shounen anime characters. But whether it's the girl of your dreams that you'd barely expect to exist in real life or it's just a breath of fresh air compared to a male character and I wouldn't say "being in touch with your feminine side"

But it's more like going from grind core death metal to... Nujabes.

But at the same time there's always making feminine male characters. Which used to be illegal to let exist until 2003.

Sp-24
Jun 17, 2012, 10:26 PM
I usually play as something that catches my eye. I've been playing as a FOmarl in PSO because I liked her artwork at character selection screen, description (high physical power for a force), and healing capabilities. Wanted to also play as her in PSO2 since I can't let things go, but character creator was being stubborn and wouldn't let me create a perfect copy. After trying exactly one more alternative (a HUmar), and finding out that I couldn't make him look even close to the way I wanted him to, I went back to FOmarl, prettied her up and made her my main character.

Lintor
Jun 17, 2012, 10:32 PM

But it's more like going from grind core death metal to... Nujabes.

But at the same time there's always making feminine male characters. Which used to be illegal to let exist until 2003.
Thanks, now I'm not gonna be getting anything done for the next hour because I'll be playing music. (got both his CDs at an anime con)

The world's favorite trap debuted in 2002 (Guilty Gear XX). Which made 2005 very awkward for me, but besides that point... Well I forgot my point, I just wanted to remind everyone that traps existed.

imarafan
Jun 17, 2012, 10:35 PM
I chose "another reason" because I don't think any of the choices here fit my opinion on the matter.

The closest one would be "I have many characters from both genders" but that would be a lie because the most characters I've ever had in a game was 4 (in PSO) and it was 3 males and a female.

As for why did I use a female between so much testosterone? (yeah right) Well the female in question was a RAmarl and it looked like a pretty versatile class, with high level spells, good use of ranged weapons and some pretty good melee options it really fit the all around character I wanted to have, different to the extremes I was using until that point (tank HUcast, tank RAcast, nuke FOnewm). And of course, I wanted to have at least 1 female character in my group, for diversity's sake.

After that she just stuck around to all the other games I played.

ps: My main is the HUcast anyway (so I'm not sure if I should have posted here in the first place).

DoctorShanks
Jun 17, 2012, 10:35 PM
Hmm . . .

I am a very, very feminine guy irl. And I WOULD HAVE made a Human Female if it weren't for the fact that she was not only the most played character in the Closed Beta, and I'd also be looked down upon by the people who think "Oh, you just made a Human Female so you could create the girl of your dreams who will probably never exist or love you in real life because you are a fat weeaboo neckbeard!" (I'm none of those things to whom it may concern).

The only game I've ever played a female character in was PSZero, and that's not even an MMO, so it doesn't really count, but my reasoning for playing a FOmarl is PSZ was her stat distribution and unique bonus. If Forces are getting bonuses in the full version of this game, that'll be the only case in which I'd ever make a female character. I answered "Another Reason," and my reason is Bonus and stat distribution.

For now, since I'm convinced I'm a total hipster and am somehow attracted to the fact that Newman Males are the least played characters, I will more than likely be rolling a HU/RA/FOnewm. The idea of a Jack of all trades/master of none playstyle for a game which allows you to play every single class is very appealing to me.

moeri
Jun 17, 2012, 10:39 PM
Generally I think of my character as a daughter maybe? Actually I am not really sure what my attachment is to my character. Love her though

I originally created a female character because I wanted to be cute in game, same reason why my character is really young. I have just loved going the little girl look since then for a long time now.

Cute is my #1 priority. Confused I am becoming.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 17, 2012, 10:50 PM
ass ass ass ass ass ass boobs boobs boobs boobs boobs

i guess i have multiple reasons then if each word above is counted as a reason loool but ass is really lacking in pso2: (

KunoMochi
Jun 17, 2012, 11:10 PM
As much as I love creating female characters, I tend to play mainly as a male character instead. My second character of choice would usually be a female character.

Females usually have better design choices in games, but I just like to be who I am in a fantasy world.

buri-chan
Jun 17, 2012, 11:12 PM
Ah, actually I remembered. I have a general pattern:

Low Fantasy = Man
High Fantasy = Woman

Skye-Fox713
Jun 17, 2012, 11:33 PM
(Male IRL) I have a continuing character from PSO ep 1&2. A RAmarl, I really liked the character, costume design and the class description from the player handbook that came with the box so I rolled with it. Eventually it became a character of its own and further to my own Phantasy Star Original Character because of some fan fiction writing on these forums.

So I simply stuck with the Female human Ranger in PSO ep 1&2, then carried it over to a Beast Ranger in PSU and I plan to carry over the character into PSO2 as a Female Human (hopefully beast) Ranger.

So I supose it is...

1 - A character I've kept with sense PSO ep1&2

2 - An original character that allows me to use for role play and a looking glass that I can use as a conduit for further immersion and suspension of disbelief into the Phantasy Star Universe (not the game the Realm/dimension of Phantasy Star)

3 - can't seem to "get into a game" playing a male character because today it seams there is a lot of the athletically fit space marine saves the day male characters out there atm.

Well I supose it's just MY character that has come into its own sense the Game Cube PSO just about a decade ago. This character eventually evolved into a true original character that maintains several alternate dimensions of its self, Phantasy Star included.

edit-
Though I do have to say before I have a lie of ommision that I did occasionally like to "dress up" my character in costumes that went against her personality before returning to a well maintained modest default costume selection for my character. There is also the genetic instinctual T and A appeal to female characters but that is far from the reason to why I play them now.

Coatl
Jun 17, 2012, 11:38 PM
I'm sure that, for the most of us, we make the female character and come up for reasons why we did so afterwards.

Also, you get free stuff from people. Most of my rares in PSO come from people being more than generous with me. ^^

NoiseHERO
Jun 17, 2012, 11:50 PM
I'm sure that, for the most of us, we make the female character and come up for reasons why we did so afterwards.

Also, you get free stuff from people. Most of my rares in PSO come from people being more than generous with me. ^^

No D<

You're a Terrible TERRIBLE perso- nah they deserved to get deceived.

OH OH, does that make you a DECEPTACON? MEN INSTEAD OF ROBOTS IN DISGUISE! TRICKING OTHER MEN TO GET RARES

Cyclon
Jun 17, 2012, 11:55 PM
I play as both genders. Female characters do have an edge though, creating and playing as one is more appealing to me, for multiple reasons.
So female newman it will be. If I ever make an alt, it will definitely be male though. Human probably. And third comes the caseal, but that's unlikely.

EDIT

i guess i have multiple reasons then if each word above is counted as a reason loool
...probably not very far from the truth:D

RE-EDIT(maybe I should have read the whole thread before posting)

Yeah, I see. Anyway, I just want to hear many opinions. I'm trying to stop myself judging the public in a single way, which is, "everyone wants a smexy character that's why they make females". I want to be convinced that everyone has his own story and motivations, and to explain the female character domination in the game.
...Okay, hm... My personal answer would be that the pre-pubescent boy I was at the time of PSO ver1's launch was more attracted to...

...To keep it short, when I start playing a new game, I have no idea if I'll like it or not. And as I have a preference for female charactes, because of looks and voice mainly, and don't really care about the game at that point, I make a female character. Then two things can happen(three, actually, as I can also hate the game and never play it again, but that's irrelevant here). I can like the game, or I can absolutely love the game to no end.
If I like the game, I'll probably stick with my female character, and make one or two others that I'll barely even use. This is so the game stays interesting and enjoyable until I stop playing and usually never come back.
If I LOVE the game(to no end), though... after playing for a while, I make a male character, which becomes my main. Because I'm still a guy, and I relate easier with characters which are of the same gender as I. This has only happened twice thus far(one being PSO).
So it all depends on my level of dedication to the game. PSO2 being a new game, my character will be female. And newman because I love female newmans since PSO. And PSII and IV only made me love them even more(even if it's unclear to me wether or not newmans and numans are the same, in the end I believe they are). In fact, every single PS game with newmans in it made me... Uh, okay, short.

Soul Guardian
Jun 18, 2012, 12:08 AM
I play female because I am female, though that's not the only reason. I've tried making male characters a few times (generally when they get really neat clothes or armor) but they always come out really...bleh. I always fail terribly and making male faces that are decently designed, and I'm too much of a design perfectionist to ignore it.

Neirene
Jun 18, 2012, 12:31 AM
I play female because I am female, though that's not the only reason. I've tried making male characters a few times (generally when they get really neat clothes or armor) but they always come out really...bleh. I always fail terribly and making male faces that are decently designed, and I'm too much of a design perfectionist to ignore it.

The same thing happens to me also being female and playing with my own gender character everytime, when I tried to make a male character i would fail horribly to make him look 'manly enough' for example for PSO2 i actually wanted to give it a try and use a male robot and i tried to make one of those very bulky and scary ones with strong colors such as black everywhere with lines a la gundam lol but everytime i finished making one of those i didnt liked them!!

Unlike the so many robots i've seem in this forum that are just awesome I guess it's just an affinity thing!

Siatome
Jun 18, 2012, 12:52 AM
Samus Aran, full stop.

Lol

Actually the gender I play is enTIREly dependent on the tone, setting, and style of the game. The first online game in which I played a female was actually PSO, because Racaseal, it was originally just for the stats but after a little while I just started to love the idea of this tiny non threatening thing having the highest defense and accuracy in the game!.. so I guess it was still about stats lol.

Really though it's game specific, and I actually play dudes a lot, but in the case of PSO2 I was FULLY planning on RAcasealing it up! That is until everyone played as girls.. and suddenly I felt largely generic.. so I'll probably play a RAmar or some such now.. or maybe I still will make a RAcaseal.. would it be weird to have two ranger mains? lol

HANDY DANDY CHART:
- PSO: chick
- WoW: dude
- Skyrim: dude
- Mass Effect: FEMSHEP FO LIFE

ALC
Jun 18, 2012, 01:03 AM

i guess i have multiple reasons then if each word above is counted as a reason loool but ass is really lacking in pso2: (

lol, just about every one of your posts makes me laugh.

As for me, I always main a male character because I like to use myself as the base design. I feel more immersed that way, I guess. Then I typically have at least a few alts--most of which are female (but still have male alts, too). I usually have an idea of a back story for each character, but I never role-play. Just something to keep in my head while I am playing the game.

Part of why I end up making female characters is because I am simply attracted to the female body. With how graphics and customization are these days, you can pretty much make the girl of your dreams. I have many girls in my dreams, though lol.

I'm only planning to have 4 characters this time around--2 male, 2 female. I would only have 3, but I'm hoping they're going to add in sub-classes, so it'll make for some diverse play styles.

Aeris
Jun 18, 2012, 01:16 AM
My first character was a HUmar until i decided to go with HUneweral most of the time on PSO, thats why i am a Female Newman on PSO2.

MasterSpark
Jun 18, 2012, 01:17 AM
I've usually started out with a male character, but I like strong heroines as much as the next person. I think I'm a little bit biased towards making women characters but if I can come up with a good design for either a man or a woman I'll roll with it.

Scionni
Jun 18, 2012, 02:23 AM
I play Casts almost exclusively-- it's something I've been doing since 2001. My main character in PSO1,2, and 4 was a Hucast, because I like that character's streamlined look. I guess that's the main reason I chose to make a RAcaseal in PSO2-- the cast males, so far, are extremely bulky and awkward. Unless they come out with a body type for casts like the HUcast body, I will be sticking to female.

moorebounce
Jun 18, 2012, 02:26 AM
I would love to make a male character in PSO2 but the males have doo doo unis. The male CASTs are even worse.

I play Casts almost exclusively-- it's something I've been doing since 2001. My main character in PSO1,2, and 4 was a Hucast, because I like that character's streamlined look. I guess that's the main reason I chose to make a RAcaseal in PSO2-- the cast males, so far, are extremely bulky and awkward. Unless they come out with a body type for casts like the HUcast body, I will be sticking to female.

If the male CASTs in PSO2 look like the ones in PSO I'd have no problem making a HUcast because thats what I had as my main in that.

Zorafim
Jun 18, 2012, 02:37 AM
I've got quite a few reasons for playing female characters instead of male. First of all, I always play as Levia as my primary character, because I just find her fascinating. But that begs the question, why is Levia a female? She could just as easily have been male. Her only trait that's more interesting on a female than a male is her sad eyes, which just don't look as good on a male (subjective).

I think it goes back to my childhood. I was a rather insecure child in a land of jerks and mean people. Women are kinder to kids then men, so I preferred being around women. I started gaming before I was capable of complex thought, and far before sex came into play. Even back then, I preferred female characters. I'm sure these two things are connected somehow.

Another reason may be my hipster tendencies. We always see male characters doing things in stories. Stories always center on the heroes, and the heroes are normally men. Why would I want to play as a man if that's all I see? So, I chose women for some variety. It loses meaning when I always chose a woman, and when everyone else chooses female as well. But that just means it's less monotonous when I play as a male when I can't chose a character.

One more reason is that I treat characters like I would pets, or children if I was a failure of a father. Basically, they're weak little things that you want to see succeed and get stronger. Being a man, I get greater pleasure helping a woman than I would helping a man. So, I find it more satisfying seeing a woman beat down a dragon than a man doing the same thing.
inb4chauvinisticpig

They also have more interesting customization options, on average. Looking at a ballroom, you'll often see men dressed in black, and women dressed as the colors of the rainbow. It's just more interesting to look at them when they're at their best. So, it's more fun dressing up a female character while customizing her because of all the things you're allowed to do with them that you can't do with men.

So, I suppose my final answer would be... I find safety in a female avatar, I get more diversity playing as a female, I get more pleasure in seeing a female succeed, and they're more fun to customize. That seems like a fair final answer.

but I ended up becoming jealous of the fleshy clothes options,

Wha... really? Wow, I was just the opposite.

But to be honest, the girl characters kind of disgust me. Their walking/running animation is just too over-the-top girly (a common issue that would be solved by giving us choices), and I hate almost every outfit available because it's impossible to not look like a bulky/clumsy mess or a cheap slut.

And unfortunately, this is why I'm considering finally playing as Zofael instead of Levia (poor angel rarely sees the light of day). I normally dislike males because they tend to be too bulky and strength based, while females have a nice, airy flow to their movements. PSO2 didn't get the memo though, and gave males nice fluid animations and gave females cripplingly girly ones. Now that I've finally sparred against both men and women, I can say this is unfairly accurate. But it's biting into my fantasy way too much!

or change my voice with a program (btw it works well) for few minutes

One thing that always bothered me about playing a female is that I can't act as her during fan movies. Both times Deja let me into his videos, I had to play the mute, while I watched my friends voice their characters beautifully. If I could actually voice act for Levia, that would be...

Creepy. Kind of creepy. But still, I might be able to put up with that if it gives her a voice.

BIG OLAF
Jun 18, 2012, 02:52 AM
Wha... really? Wow, I was just the opposite.

Yes, really. I despised most of the female CAST parts in PSU, but loved a large chunk of the fleshy clothes. So, whenever I would see my friends on their female Humans/Newmans/Beasts, I'd get annoyed at myself for playing on a female CAST.

So, like I said, that's when I decided to nuke my female CAST and make Nassa for the very first time. I was more than satisfied with the switch. Not that I don't like female CASTs, because I certainly did/do (in PSU and PSO2, now).

Fusioneko
Jun 18, 2012, 03:27 AM
I've got a ton fo reasons myself.

I identify myself as my character, it's apart of me, she, or he. Doesn't matter what gender it is. Every character I made it to represent one side of me.

For example, http://imgur.com/a/abyCw

I uploaded a plethora of personalities that represent.

NekoMir is prob about my oldest, and considering that am also a (Para/+) rp'er in most places, I tend to be very picky when ti comes to that. She has a long history, and i've kept her with my for over half my life, her name has changed many times, but the concept.. she was found on.

Green eyes, crimson red hair, her name has changed from Crystal, Neko, NekoMir, to Aona Nae, and still shifts. She has grown with me, and has become quite integral.

So, I don't expect anyone to really read this either, (Who would?) But the most fascinating part of of these fragments of myself, is watching them grow, seperate from me, yet still be apart of me.

As if taunting me.. in some manner. Aona Nae, Aone Nae, Meko, Neko, Shadow, Kore, Crystal, Meta, Venerium Valangir, Aera, Valakorin, Valakis, Leins, Kato, Avaria Crulin, Tetrin Eltergan, Tetril Regalis, Nakana Aesor, Ethiran Fiera, Alurea Veradin, Verimael Lamillia, and Azurin Eladin.

Those are just a fraction of characters that I've up with. I know I'm prob off topic, but .. to me, games are a good way to create new ideas, new character, and help stimulate some ideas, while not trying to completely (and blatantly) steal them.

Aerxia Aixial, Kana Furin, So many names, for so many stories I need to write.

But That doesn't explain the reason. I just love my characters, I adore them, because I want to refine them.

On a side note: The editor is kind of picky in a few places that makes me erk, I wish that some of the settings had a broader range when dealing with body adjustments, and easier guidelines.

Guess I've rambled on too much!

MisterFruiz
Jun 18, 2012, 03:50 AM
Well i am one of those 28% of male.
I have using a racaseal in the closed beta too but i dont gonna pay for a second character slot right now.

Polly
Jun 18, 2012, 04:02 AM
I'm a girl, so I make girl characters. I'm not averse to playing male characters, I just get more attached to a character if she's female. Helps me slip into the game world easier I guess.

SolRiver
Jun 18, 2012, 04:07 AM
Just so people don't forget... those numbers are not accurate representation of the english PSO community of PSOW.

I saw plenty of male on block 20 and 21; if I were to make a guess, it is very close to 50/50 on gender split at block 20/21 during the hour I played.

So getting our responses won't explain the data =p

BIG OLAF
Jun 18, 2012, 04:13 AM
I'm a girl, so I make girl characters. I'm not averse to playing male characters, I just get more attached to a character if she's female. Helps me slip into the game world easier I guess.

For some reason, I thought you were a man. Huh.

Also, I've known girls that play on guy characters, mostly for the reason I mentioned previously: it's interesting to play as what you're physically not, just to see how it's like.

Ifrian-x
Jun 18, 2012, 04:18 AM
We all know for a decent amount of people, "It's easier to bribe men by pretending to be a cute girl" is the real reason, but noone will ever vote it xD

Polly
Jun 18, 2012, 04:23 AM
For some reason, I thought you were a man. Huh.

Also, I've known girls that play on guy characters, mostly for the reason I mentioned previously: it's interesting to play as what you're physically not, just to see how it's like.

Eh. S'no biggie. I don't really make a big deal about my gender online, but it's information I will volunteer if it's relevant to the topic. xP

I've roleplayed male characters in D&D sessions and it was pretty neat using learned acting abilities to not slip into what a caricature of a male might be. I actually had more fun with those particular characters, but that's largely due to really getting into a role and interacting as somebody I'm not.

It's kinda different for videogames, because I'm not a roleplayer, but I like connecting to worlds I enjoy, typically of the sci-fi variety. For Phantasy Star games I always typically have a Kasera or Polly character because I want to feel more "connected" to the world (as weird as that probably sounds.) But I've got HUmars, FOmars, and HUcasts tucked away on various Dreamcast and GameCube memory cards as well as stored on servers god knows where that I enjoy playing as well. I just feel more "at home" with my female creations.

Ifrian-x
Jun 18, 2012, 04:33 AM
I can only play with male characters because otherwhise i cannot connect with the character.
My character is the "Me" of that world, and thus it has to reflect my inner self.

And my inner, just like the outer, is male.

Sp-24
Jun 18, 2012, 04:35 AM
Just so people don't forget... those numbers are not accurate representation of the english PSO community of PSOW.

I saw plenty of male on block 20 and 21; if I were to make a guess, it is very close to 50/50 on gender split at block 20/21 during the hour I played.

So getting our responses won't explain the data =p

Is this a more accurate representation?
[spoiler-box]http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/4540/pobt.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Lungo
Jun 18, 2012, 05:05 AM
I chose a female this time around because it gave me the most customisation. Normally I would choose a male CAST but due to the lack of options concerning body parts, there is very little to play around with, even with their extensive colour customisation.

It's also a good opportunity to play as a gender/race I wouldn't normally choose, and with the stats the way that they are, I don't have to worry about a substantial strength difference.

LuneFox
Jun 18, 2012, 05:14 AM
[spoiler-box]http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/4540/pobt.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Well then, does it mean that those 28% of male players from closed beta were actually foreigners like us? xD

Sp-24
Jun 18, 2012, 05:18 AM
Well then, does it mean that those 28% of male players from closed beta were actually foreigners like us? xD
That pic is from this forum's event (we were doing a massive group screenshot). Everyone pictured should be either forum members or people who somehow got involved (like my HUcaseal friend who took the pic). That one was taken when we moved to block 31, too, so I think it should speak well of this forum's gender preference. :3

Garteal
Jun 18, 2012, 05:35 AM
Aww I'm not on that one :P And a couple of people are also missing.

This is everyone who was present.
(disclaimer: if I accidently tagged you female or male, don't get mad at me! :P)
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.minus.com/ibdBKw6tGyXqXd.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Agitated_AT
Jun 18, 2012, 05:39 AM
The poll is overly emphasized towards female characters imo.

To answer the topic name however, I liked having female in the closed beta, now I ended up with a male trying to make him look like me, but sadly I feel that forces look to feminine and I was a bit dissapointed with the overall customization.

I don't know if it had to do with force, but the hairstyles and clothing were very similar to the female choices, so i was dissapoint.

Sp-24
Jun 18, 2012, 05:41 AM
Aww I'm not on that one :P And a couple of people are also missing.

This is everyone who was present.
(disclaimer: if I accidently tagged you female or male, don't get mad at me! :P)
[spoiler-box]http://i.minus.com/izsfj7sEYassV.png[/spoiler-box]
My FOmarl is "male"?!
EDIT: And so is my lookalike?

Yep, it's 16:24, or 40%:60%, like I said. :)

MiaRitz
Jun 18, 2012, 05:41 AM
Boobies.

That is all.

Garteal
Jun 18, 2012, 05:47 AM
My FOmarl is "male"?!
EDIT: And so is my lookalike?

Damn, I knew something was wrong.
We're losing a lot of men. :P
Anyway, updated the screeny.
Looking at the video, I made more mistakes, gimme a sec to fix em.

Sp-24
Jun 18, 2012, 05:52 AM
Wow, whom did we miss?

Anyway, guess we have some more reliable data on the forum members' preferences now. :)

Fusioneko
Jun 18, 2012, 05:53 AM
Well there's also the min-max crowd of PSO, which of course, if anyone remembers, certain gender/combinations provided better stats. There's also the reasoning behind style/preference too.

I used to remember people playing for the most benefits while I just sort played what made me look nice and fancy.

Garteal
Jun 18, 2012, 05:58 AM
Wow, whom did we miss?

Wingdreth and HigeYoshi.
So much difference now!

It's hard to see who is a female or male from a screenshot. The thin female/male models look exactly the same.
I almost tagged Dhomochevsky a female, but luckily he yelled out and his picture appeared onscreen. :P

Sp-24
Jun 18, 2012, 06:00 AM
Ha, I kinda expected one girl to be mistakenly tagged as a male, and one guy - as a girl. :D Gotta dig up that picture from block 20 now, and see if it matches the data, too.

EDIT: Wow, so that's where all the male characters were!
[spoiler-box]http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s377/siatome/meanwhileinblock20.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Garteal
Jun 18, 2012, 06:07 AM
One.. two... hmm, I can count 8 males from which I am sure are male. The others are umm.. too stacked. If they only were with us.. >.<

Read the forums more often guys, especially when events are planned. :3

Gama
Jun 18, 2012, 06:12 AM
i only recently started making female characters, but i cant identify with them. i just like they way they look. but i rouldnt roleplay as a girl, i guess id behave like a butch girl on pso2 xD

MasterSpark
Jun 18, 2012, 06:17 AM
Question: Would a female character made from a male template still count as female?

Garteal
Jun 18, 2012, 06:18 AM
In the worst case scenario, it would count as "other".

Gama
Jun 18, 2012, 06:24 AM
Question: Would a female character made from a male template still count as female?

androgynous i guess?

Tetsaru
Jun 18, 2012, 06:29 AM
Boobies.

That is all.

This. Very much, this. <3

[spoiler-box]
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j194/tetsaru/PSO2/pso20120406_042830_000.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

But yeah, ever since PSO, especially since you were stuck to the class you originally picked back then, I've played all sorts of character types, either out of boredom or curiousity as to how each of the classes played. If we've got multiple character slots per account, might as well, right?

That, and having "mule" characters for storage, etc. is always nice.

SolRiver
Jun 18, 2012, 07:24 AM
There need to be a male vs female dance off at the end of open beta or something...

Could collect data + some fun at the same time. (and definitely some video recording!)

Pyrii
Jun 18, 2012, 07:31 AM
I'm female IRL and I always feel Females online, I've tried male character and for me I'm just not comfortable with them. Team Fortress 2 for example is only tolarable with the Pony models.

Sides, I don't go for overboard, I prefer to be realistic in proportions, that and being a lesbian I like smaller breasts anyway XD

Fusioneko
Jun 18, 2012, 07:36 AM
I'm female IRL and I always feel Females online, I've tried male character and for me I'm just not comfortable with them. Team Fortress 2 for example is only tolarable with the Pony models.

Sides, I don't go for overboard, I prefer to be realistic in proportions, that and being a lesbian I like smaller breasts anyway XD

Problem with that is, :/ it's so hard to get things 'just right', they're easily flat as a board, or just too big. That was/ and is my current problem with PSO. Trying to get it to appeal just right, without being over-accommodating?

I might just need more practice with the tool.

Pyrii
Jun 18, 2012, 07:41 AM
Problem with that is, :/ it's so hard to get things 'just right', they're easily flat as a board, or just too big. That was/ and is my current problem with PSO. Trying to get it to appeal just right, without being over-accommodating?

I admit I found that too, the controls are very delicate and you can spend alot of time tweaking and experimenting to get the right look. My entry for the character competition took me about 10 hours in the end. And even then I wasn't totally happy.

But at least you can end up with some very unique characters.

Lastly, everyone deciding to be female characters makes things a little confusing for me. Although sometimes it's very obvious a man made the character :3

Neirene
Jun 18, 2012, 07:42 AM

It's very hard to achieve but it's possible I actually was able to make around a B32 cup size for my character, almost flat chest too without looking weird however you need to be extremely careful when you drag the pointers of the breast modification tool since it's extremely easy to mess the proportions by moving the mouse pointer just a little bit off or if your hand tends to shake too much might be a problem too with this tool.

Gama
Jun 18, 2012, 08:50 AM
you can control the "circles" when theyre selected with the directional buttons on your kb, for fine tunning.

Raging Ghost
Jun 18, 2012, 08:53 AM
The reason of why I played as a female CAST is that there's no humanlike parts for male CASTs.

Gama
Jun 18, 2012, 08:55 AM
i didnt recreate "gama" because theres no fleshie parts for casts, so i went human.

DTwO
Jun 18, 2012, 09:10 AM
I chose a human male,i made it resemble me somewhat haha
Why?Because of the extensive customization this pso has,but i always make a male cause im a male >.<

Scrub
Jun 18, 2012, 10:16 AM
I've never been able to play as a girl in any game for a couple of reasons which are both probably really sexist.

The most important one is that almost every character I play, even when I dont make them myself (like in a fighting game), has to be really cool or badass. Even the most badass of female characters are almost always just 'badass for being a girl.' Maybe a lot of female characters are actually cool/badass to real females? There's also the fact that most women in video games are basically just there for sex appeal which definitely ain't what I'm looking for in a character. The only female character I ever really liked playing was Lenneth from Valkyrie Profile. She was pretty fucking cool.

The other reason is that I just like to immerse myself in a game and I find it a lot harder to do playing as a woman. I'm sure most people at least see where I'm coming from with this? It's easier to get into playing your own gender than a different one.

CyberNei
Jun 18, 2012, 10:29 AM
Hey, i cudn't make male replica of female Nei, right? o.o" Would be too weird.
It is role play for me i'd say. There are male roles on my list too.

And it is that way just for Phantasy Star games. For other games i usually take male char, sometimes not (for reason "I always want to see a beautiful girl on my screen when I play."), matter of mood when creating.
Always male for offline games.

Albireo
Jun 18, 2012, 10:38 AM
I usually make male characters, but for Phantasy Star Online games I've played numerous female characters just because of the statistical differences. I liked RAmarl in PSO because they had the best Tech levels out of all the Rangers. Similarly, I mostly played a HUnewearl in PS0 and a newearl in PSPo2 because I enjoyed have the highest EVP in those games.

For PSO2, I'll be playing a male character because stat differences between genders/race don't seem too big this time around.

Crysteon
Jun 18, 2012, 10:54 AM
I'm a male and play with male characters. Playing with females just doesnt feel right to me. I know tons of people who play with females and most of them fall into sexist behaviors, which is something I dont exactly approve.

I remember asking one of my RL friends why he opted to play with a busty female elf chick back on Lineage 2, and his answer was kinda pathetic: "What do you prefer to see on screen? A bulky dude or a sex-appealing chick?"...My answer, of course, was not oriented to such narrow way of thinking, but as a perspective of enjoying the game and being consistent with my own identity.

Sadly enough, I live in a society where women are observed as sexual objects, so don't blame me for thinking that it's totally wrong when certain guys act like a bunch of sex-deprived animals feasting on something that will never come out of their screens.

Mega Ultra Chicken
Jun 18, 2012, 05:01 PM
I play a male Newman. They are most radical.

I play as characters of both genders usually. In games where I get to play as multiple characters, I like to have have a plenty of diversity in my selection of characters, and that includes having characters of both genders. I seem to gravitate toward less manly characters though, so my main is usually a girl or a sufficiently kawaii boy (maybe I should try making a pretty boy main at some point. But I digress.) Maybe I'm drawn to the badassery bonus that seems to come equipped with being female or adorable in an RPG. But that hasn't stopped me from making a hulking Worgen Death Knight or Berlitz in PSU or BROcast in this game... or a male Wizard in Diablo 3.

I don't seem to have many characters that resemble me. The most "me" character I've made so far is a tomboyish female Night Elf Mage.

On a side note, I know a couple girls who play guys... Okay, one girl. The other would play as a guy if she actually played games like this.

D-Inferno
Jun 18, 2012, 05:06 PM
I picked HUcast, RAcast, and FOnewm because they have either the highest or second highest damage yield, and that I do not want to use females, since the difference in damage is small. I also find humans uninteresting.

Coatl
Jun 18, 2012, 05:26 PM
No D<

You're a Terrible TERRIBLE perso- nah they deserved to get deceived.

OH OH, does that make you a DECEPTACON? MEN INSTEAD OF ROBOTS IN DISGUISE! TRICKING OTHER MEN TO GET RARES

Well I wouldn't use the controversial term "deceived." ^^;
For the most part, I never implied I was female in the first place.
Plus PSO's a dying game, not really hard to get rare equips from the quitters.

And of course. How else will we get our hands on that allspark? >:I

moorebounce
Jun 18, 2012, 05:30 PM
I played nothing but male characters in PS until I played PSOBB. My main up until then has been a HUcast. I didn't start playing as a force until BB either.

The first female character I started playing with was Chung Li from Street Fighter II. The crew I hung out with used to play Street Fighter before hitting the night clubs thursdays - saturdays. Nobody played with Chung Li so I started using her. lol Theres something thats kill a guy's soul knowing you got beat by a girl whether its a videogame or not. lol

Laguna
Jun 18, 2012, 05:54 PM
In my opinion, I think the men in this game just don't have enough options for customization as female do. That's just me though, haha. :)

NoGoBoard
Jun 18, 2012, 06:01 PM
I pick gender based on what the character does. For warrior characters I always pick male, for rogue classes I pick female. Rangers and magician classes go either gender and healers are always female.

Akaimizu
Jun 18, 2012, 06:19 PM
Yeah. This poll didn't include those like me. In PSO, PSZ, and PSO2 I played a male force, first.

KunoMochi
Jun 18, 2012, 06:34 PM
In my opinion, I think the men in this game just don't have enough options for customization as female do. That's just me though, haha. :)
Male characters really don't. This might be a bad example, but when comparing the female and male Casts, the latter had a lot less customization than the former.

It's why I enjoyed customizing a female character more than a male, even if my main is a male character. :P

rukobizen
Jun 18, 2012, 06:41 PM
Male Newman Force. One of the few. :D

LadyAngie
Jun 18, 2012, 06:53 PM
I'm female, therefore I primarily play as a female character.

I
LOVE
ELVESSSS.

JRDeBo
Jun 18, 2012, 11:01 PM
I chose "another reason", and my reason is stat boosts I get as a female.

njdss4
Jun 18, 2012, 11:12 PM
I tend to always make my first character, my "main", male since I'm a guy. However, if I have additional character slots, I almost always make at least one female character. I guess I get tired of staring at a male character's ass and want to look at something else.

Coatl
Jun 18, 2012, 11:15 PM
I chose "another reason", and my reason is stat boosts I get as a female.

You get stat boosts for being female? o.o
Whaaatt.

Soul Guardian
Jun 18, 2012, 11:16 PM
You get stat boosts for being female? o.o
Whaaatt.

Males and Females always have slightly higher stats in a few values than the other gender in the PS series. FOnewearl, for example, ends up with the higher tech damage than FOnewm.

JRDeBo
Jun 18, 2012, 11:17 PM
I believe it is slight, but for a force, yeah. At least it was in PSU, and I'm just mirroring that character with this one.

Soul Guardian
Jun 18, 2012, 11:19 PM
I believe it is slight, but for a force, yeah. At least it was in PSU, and I'm just mirroring that character with this one.

They aren't huge differences, but there are a few different ones between male and female for each race. PSO had them as well.

RebhtheDark
Jun 19, 2012, 12:50 AM
Ive always played girls because Im a girl. My main is a female Newman and my second is my female cast. But in PSU I got a bit bored and made a male beast. I modeled him after what I would picture as my perfect guy. I didnt used him for a bit then I wanted to be a fighter and started lvling him up. I soon loved playing as him and for PSO2 I will have 2 girls and 1 guy, I voted for "Have both male and females"

He also has the bonus that guys dont constantly ask me if Im really a girl.....XD Oh and I have a deep voice so when I use the mic I just talk really deep and no one in my party is the wiser!

Mega Ultra Chicken
Jun 19, 2012, 01:04 AM
Ive always played girls because Im a girl. My main is a female Newman and my second is my female cast. But in PSU I got a bit bored and made a male beast. I modeled him after what I would picture as my perfect guy. I didnt used him for a bit then I wanted to be a fighter and started lvling him up. I soon loved playing as him and for PSO2 I will have 2 girls and 1 guy, I voted for "Have both male and females"

He also has the bonus that guys dont constantly ask me if Im really a girl.....XD Oh and I have a deep voice so when I use the mic I just talk really deep and no one in my party is the wiser!
You're a girl that can pass for a guy on the microphone?

That. Is. Awesome.

BIG OLAF
Jun 19, 2012, 01:07 AM

That. Is. Awesome.

I can pass for a girl pretty well if I really try (I'm good at voices). However, before I hit puberty, I could sound like a blond bimbo with little to no effort. Made for some fun times on PSU back in the day.

pikachief
Jun 19, 2012, 01:10 AM
I'll be honest. First time I made a female character in one of these games was in PSU when I was suprised I could change the weight of my character on the game. I made it to experiment to see what it would look like then didnt touch it for weeks.

Then I used it as a joke character with a friend and we ended up in runs and I started to enjoy hunter so I leveled her up more and I ended up keeping it. I started doing solo runs mostly hunting on my main and doing missions with partys with my alt and that's what people started knowing me as. Now the character has stuck and I carry my big female beast character into many games in whatever shape and form I can (even if its just name)

And that is my simple story of how I sorta stumbled upon playing a female character in a game.

kdrakari
Jun 19, 2012, 01:16 AM
I would normally have both male and female characters, but with the need to purchase AC to get multiple slots (Which I probably won't do because I doubt it will be easy to get for non-Japanese) I just went with my favorite character that I had already made which was one of the females.

Demon-
Jun 19, 2012, 01:23 AM
My main is always the ultimate version of myself. A dark haired evil HUmar on steroids basically. Then I make a ninja fembot, then a ranger army girl, then finally a very tall newman force girl. This has been my recipe for making characters since PSO DC ver1 came out.

RebhtheDark
Jun 19, 2012, 01:25 AM

That. Is. Awesome.

Yah Im good at voices! And being a girl with a deeper voice I can do a wider range of tones.

ShinMaruku
Jun 19, 2012, 01:35 AM
I rock with female character because I love their ahem assets. :E

Pyrii
Jun 19, 2012, 01:51 AM

I have a deep voice naturally which I'm trying to push myself to fix. I sound too much like a guy to pass for a girl x_x People who phone me call me "Sir" ;-;

RebhtheDark
Jun 19, 2012, 03:00 AM
I have a deep voice naturally which I'm trying to push myself to fix. I sound too much like a guy to pass for a girl x_x People who phone me call me "Sir" ;-;

I have that problem sometimes too! XD

Pyrii
Jun 19, 2012, 03:08 AM
I have that problem sometimes too! XD

*clings* Only you know my pain ;-;

BIG OLAF
Jun 19, 2012, 03:17 AM
I think the idea of girls with deep(er) voices sounds kind of awesome, actually.

I always picture my more mature characters (like the one a bit below this text) as having a deeper, more serious voice and tone, so I don't see a problem with it.

Pyrii
Jun 19, 2012, 03:48 AM
I think the idea of girls with deep(er) voices sounds kind of awesome, actually.

I always picture my more mature characters (like the one a bit below this text) as having a deeper, more serious voice and tone, so I don't see a problem with it.

There's a deep voice, then there's sounding like a man x_x

BIG OLAF
Jun 19, 2012, 04:05 AM
There's a deep voice, then there's sounding like a man x_x

I doubt you sound like a man. It can't be that bad. Same goes for Miss Rebbie.

dooby613
Jun 19, 2012, 04:22 AM
I chose a RAcaseal because the Casts are really ugly, and I still want to be a cast by race at least.