PDA

View Full Version : What's drawn on the reflection texture?

LuneFox
Jun 18, 2012, 07:55 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1950&pictureid=28449
I noticed that all mirror-like parts reflect the same image regardless of the environment.
Is this a place from PSO2 or is it just a real life photo?
Looks like some bridge over a very wide river or lake, with some buildings on the island popping out in the backround.
(I hope I'm not the only one who paid attention).
I know only one place like that in Moscow :P

AlMcFly
Jun 18, 2012, 07:57 AM
That's pretty crazy! No clue but it looks like a real life image.

Zaix
Jun 18, 2012, 07:57 AM
Yeah I've seen it. It looks like a bridge to me also. Wonder why it reflects such a thing...

Mag-X
Jun 18, 2012, 08:06 AM
Not sure what it is, but all reflections are probably the same due to the amount of graphics power needed for a real reflection. The crappy laptop graphics processors most of you are using would eat their own face if they had to render real reflections.

LuneFox
Jun 18, 2012, 08:08 AM
More reflectons of the top:
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1950&pictureid=28450

Zaix
Jun 18, 2012, 08:09 AM
Not sure what it is, but all reflections are probably the same due to the amount of graphics power needed for a real reflection. The crappy laptop graphics processors most of you are using would eat their own face if they had to render real reflections.

I take offense to that... but really you're right.

Nah i really don't. My laptop has more power than the vast majority of desktops.

Pyrii
Jun 18, 2012, 08:11 AM
They probably took a picture and figured that it would do for a reflectionmap instead of doing real reflections. ANother common one is a room lit by daylight, the contrast of light and dark makes the reflections seem detailed.

Some games use a cubemap of each area for reflections too, which isn't hard to do, but then SEGA are lazy.

In the end, using actual reflections just requires a little effort and some shaders. But as mentioned before can be quite taxing on the GPU, so the middleground is what I said above with generated cubemaps.

EDIT: The OPs reference picture is rather... telling. Not sure I want to stare at that for too long :P

RocSage
Jun 18, 2012, 08:24 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1950&pictureid=28449
I noticed that all mirror-like parts reflect the same image regardless of the environment.
Is this a place from PSO2 or is it just a real life photo?
Looks like some bridge over a very wide river or lake, with some buildings on the island popping out in the backround.
(I hope I'm not the only one who paid attention).
I know only one place like that in Moscow :P

What reflection? I don't see reflections

GrandTickler
Jun 18, 2012, 08:28 AM
isnt it just the reflection of that chamber?

MrTurkleton
Jun 18, 2012, 08:40 AM
To me it looks like the reflection is just a basic panorama of the side of a building on a pier.

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/1522/pso20120618093705001.jpg
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/687/pso20120618093702000.jpg

Pyrii
Jun 18, 2012, 08:42 AM
Mmmm, orbz

Cyclon
Jun 18, 2012, 08:52 AM
Hm...

Without anything to corroborate this theory, I like to think that it's a picture taken from Japan, by Sega employees.

youcantcatchtheblue
Jun 18, 2012, 09:57 AM
They used side boob for the reflection texture??

haha, but in all seriousness, that's pretty lazy of them.... I guess it does save them quite a lot of memory to be able to use the same texture for all reflections.

Pyrii
Jun 18, 2012, 10:01 AM
They used side boob for the reflection texture??

haha, but in all seriousness, that's pretty lazy of them.... I guess it does save them quite a lot of memory to be able to use the same texture for all reflections.

Well I noticed my picture from CBT, the reflect is actually of the inside of the My Room http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194664&page=47#467

Ifrian-x
Jun 18, 2012, 10:02 AM
M i the only one wondering how did the OP take notice of that on a boob?

BIG OLAF
Jun 18, 2012, 10:09 AM
If it had to be something from in-game, I'd say it's the balcony from the outside of the character's room.

I was thinking that it was a shot from maybe the back lot of the SoJ HQ, but they aren't near any water. It does look like a bay shot from somewhere, though.

Laguna
Jun 18, 2012, 10:15 AM
At first, I thought this thread was just showcasing some boobs... haha. I see it now though. It kinda does look like a bridge, with railings, dropping a city in the landscape.

watersea
Jun 18, 2012, 10:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6eWg9rh6oI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6eWg9rh6oI

Chaosie
Jun 18, 2012, 10:28 AM
That's neat, and I genuinely never noticed the reflections >_>;

It's totally a photo. Either a bridge/pier like some people suggest or the walkway on the side of a building.

This might be an isolated thing in the Character creator though. As mentioned above, that character seems to reflect their own room.

Things I'm sure people at Sega didn't expect people to notice? :P

Zabrio
Jun 18, 2012, 11:23 AM
I don't think it's that large of an issue though, since you don't see large scale reflections and you have to have your camera INSIDE your character for it to be noticeable. It makes the game easier to run and barely affects the visuals at all

Vashyron
Jun 18, 2012, 01:55 PM
The texture @ X2 Size.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/reflectionpic.jpg

Now someone go find where it was taken. :wacko:

buri-chan
Jun 18, 2012, 02:22 PM
The Googles do nothing. Next guess is maybe streetview near sega offices.

BIG OLAF
Jun 18, 2012, 02:26 PM
Yeah, go to Google maps' Streetview on nearby bridges (because SoJ HQ isn't near water of any sort), maybe. Report findings.

Neirene
Jun 18, 2012, 02:27 PM
Probably weird areas of the tokyo bay or any other isolated industrial complex close to the city or to the sega offices. There are a lot of similar steel structures like those all over the place.

Randomness
Jun 18, 2012, 02:30 PM
Probably weird areas of the tokyo bay or any other isolated industrial complex close to the city or to the sega offices. There are a lot of similar steel structures like those all over the place.

The bottom center image looks like a port. Possibly with shipping containers.

Wouldn't be out of place to see that up in Duluth at all - it is VERY generic imagery.

buri-chan
Jun 18, 2012, 02:32 PM
All dese fucking bridges. Checked three so far, and there's still at least a half-dozen more before I give up.

Neirene
Jun 18, 2012, 02:33 PM
The bottom center image looks like a port. Possibly with shipping containers.

Wouldn't be out of place to see that up in Duluth at all - it is VERY generic imagery.

I don't think they woulve traveled far away to get those pictures probably are still within japan itself. Probably is just a simple port area of the city.

I also notice there is a big white building on the horizon for some reason i still beleive it's a hotel but i could be wrong too i'm just guessing stuff! lol

Akaimizu
Jun 18, 2012, 02:39 PM
I'm waiting for some conspiracy theories about this bridge. "What does this mean?" And all that. Just like the funky conspiracy theories about the Diablo 3 *hidden level* music.

BIG OLAF
Jun 18, 2012, 02:42 PM
I'm waiting for some conspiracy theories about this bridge. "What does this mean?" And all that. Just like the funky conspiracy theories about the Diablo 3 *hidden level* music.

Maybe it's the ghost of someone from SEGA who died during PSO2's development and is trying to show us where he was pushed off a bridge and murdered?!?!

RocSage
Quick, do something less productive.

Mag-X
I'm waiting for some conspiracy theories about this bridge. "What does this mean?"
It's proof that PSO2 isn't getting a western release! Everybody FREAK OOUUTTT!!1

buri-chan
Jun 18, 2012, 02:43 PM
There are just so many places to look in Tokyo Bay. Doesn't help that all the streetview images are tinted yellow for harsh sun, and the reflections were taken on a nice cloudy day. I'ma give up and think of some other way to research.

Skye-Fox713
Jun 18, 2012, 02:50 PM
It's proof that PSO2 isn't getting a western release! Everybody FREAK OOUUTTT!!1

OMG NUUUUU!!!!! *head splosion*

buri-chan
Jun 18, 2012, 03:07 PM
Okay, so I don't think it's any bridge that's on the wiki. So I give up and leave it to the Elevens who actually live on the moon to find it.

Zorafim
Jun 18, 2012, 03:10 PM
Well. This thread made my head explode.

FenixStryk
Jun 18, 2012, 03:15 PM
Well. This thread made my head explode.

Quick, do something less productive.Haha, seriously. As interesting as this is, I don't think anyone would have spotted and traced this so quickly if PSO2 withdrawal wasn't in full effect.

This is really interesting, though! Now I won't feel like I'm missing anything when Reflections are turned off. No sense phasing my characters in some half-way point between Naberius and the Tokyo Bay area. :wacko:

buri-chan
Jun 18, 2012, 03:17 PM
I know, I'm off to 2ch to auto-translate the question.

LuneFox
Jun 18, 2012, 03:17 PM
Nice work on revealing the images!

You can try googling these words:
港 (port, bay)
橋 (bridge)
東京 (Tokyo) - though I'm not sure it's in Tokyo

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 18, 2012, 09:04 PM
goddamn i didn't notice this at all, i thought it was just simple lighting/shading to make it look like reflections, not an actual image

lol

NoiseHERO
Jun 18, 2012, 09:11 PM
Hah, I love easter eggs like this, and I'm not sure why this whole thing is hilarious.

Reminds me of this guitar simulator on the DS, if you hit a certain note, it's feint but in it you can hear the sound of a "ghost" that's actually just a tiny recording left in from their studio.

Cyclon
Jun 18, 2012, 11:02 PM
And to think I didn't bother to ask about this because I thought it wouldn't interest anyone.
On to changing my sig that I just made... meh, don't feel like it right now.

buri-chan
Jun 18, 2012, 11:10 PM
You know, that brings up something else entirely:

Why are all the women in this universe wearing metal panties? Is chastity that much of an issue?

Soul Guardian
Jun 18, 2012, 11:14 PM

Why are all the women in this universe wearing metal panties? Is chastity that much of an issue?

I thought it was that kind of really shiny plastic stuff they used to make phone booth directory covers out of. Kevlar or something?

mctastee
Jun 18, 2012, 11:56 PM
I think that's where Carmen Sandiego is.

Zorafim
Jun 19, 2012, 12:25 AM
Is chastity that much of an issue?

With what they're wearing? Would it be?

Gardios
Jun 19, 2012, 12:30 AM

I believe it's more a fear of losing their clothes - the FOmar outfit is screwed onto the arms, for instance...

Pyrii
Jun 19, 2012, 02:04 AM
I'm a robot, not much choice in the matter. it's hard to "cover" that area >_>

SELENNA
Jun 19, 2012, 04:25 AM
I'm a robot, not much choice in the matter. it's hard to "cover" that area >_>

Why would you cover that area, being a robot?

Pyrii
Jun 19, 2012, 05:20 AM
Why would you cover that area, being a robot?

Who says you can't be an anatomically correct robot from time-to-time. Given the complexity of such systems, they're not easy to add/remove.

Yes I have thought about this subject far too much. But then I am a bit of a robot girl fan.