PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else love the fact that each player gets their own item drops?

brian3000
Jun 18, 2012, 07:18 PM
I remember back on PSU where everyone would rush to get items. Was so annoying >_<. Now in pso2, glad they fixed that problem :)

Zaix
Jun 18, 2012, 07:18 PM
Thank PSP2 (The game PSU should have been.)

BIG OLAF
Jun 18, 2012, 07:20 PM
Yes, I do love it. But, be warned. There are those oddballs that think it's a terrible idea. So, brace for impact.

ryoko227
Jun 18, 2012, 07:20 PM
Best thing they've added to the game in my opinion. I hated when a F2P user *EDIT* "in PSU" would jump into my party and snatch a rare I needed, then be unable to trade it after ><!!! Ninjas :(

Zaix
Jun 18, 2012, 07:22 PM
Yes, I do love it. But, be warned. There are those oddballs that think it's a terrible idea. So, brace for impact.

Oh yes. Its so terrible to actually play with people now to hunt rares instead of soloing because they don't want items stolen. Oh so very terrible.

Rhypht
Yeah. I really like how a few games have been taking this direction lately. It's a lot better than the feeding frenzy that some shared-drop RPGs have. Especially with a game like PSO, where certain drops can have very low rates.

AlMcFly
LOVE IT. No complaints at all. At first during Pre-OB I was wondering why people would run over to the drops but not loot anything at all. Then I learned and was like "holy shit that's amazing."

terrell707
Jun 18, 2012, 07:24 PM
I love this too. I still laugh at myself though when an item on my game and someone elses game drops in the same place and I think to myself "This piece of **** better not take my rare!" as we both run to it. Then I remember we get our own drops lol.

brian3000
Jun 18, 2012, 07:25 PM
LOVE IT. No complaints at all. At first during Pre-OB I was wondering why people would run over to the drops but not loot anything at all. Then I learned and was like "holy shit that's amazing."

Yes I also wondered the same thing until I tested it out with some friends:)

Blackheart521
Jun 18, 2012, 07:25 PM
Now we can all eat the entire bag of potato chips and not feel guilty ^^

mhjc
Jun 18, 2012, 07:27 PM

Quoted for truth. It is pretty sad when the portable versions make the console versions look pathetic by comparison.

Demon-
Jun 18, 2012, 07:33 PM
Yeah now theres no need to solo for drops.

Sinue_v2
Jun 18, 2012, 07:35 PM

I think PSZero was the first to really do that, but PSO2 uses the "PSP2" system where enemies still "drop" items individually rather than put them all in a big chest that appears when the room is cleared. Sure, it kept the field clear of debris that could accidentally be picked up when you really wanted to block/dodge/resta/etc, but it also make it hard to figure out what enemies drop what items... and it slowed down the pace of the game.

I'm glad PSO2 is using the PSP2/i system.

blazingsonic
Jun 18, 2012, 07:51 PM

*Cast Deband for everyone and gives everyone Stupidity resist*
Yeah people still think the one who made the kill should have the rare...

Nobo
Jun 18, 2012, 08:54 PM
Yeah now theres no need to solo for drops.

Very true, and no need to argue over to set in order or random

FenixStryk
Jun 18, 2012, 09:01 PM
It's a smart feature, although not entirely new to gaming; it's a concept that started to pick up around ~five years ago. That said, I'm glad PSO2 adopted the mechanic.

mctastee
Jun 18, 2012, 09:18 PM
Now we can all eat the entire bag of potato chips and not feel guilty ^^
Yes, now we can eat it all like fucking pigs. Not that that's a bad thing though.

buri-chan
Jun 18, 2012, 09:23 PM
I'm still weary when I see an item from an enemy I didn't kill, just because someone else was passing by. Like if I take it, it'll turn out Sega rescinded by-character-basis, and it'll erupt into a thing.

Scrub
Jun 18, 2012, 09:27 PM
its 2012 i certainly freakin hope every player would get their own drops

Xaeris
Jun 18, 2012, 09:42 PM
Frankly, I'm surprised it took as many iterations of the series as it did to get this system. But whatever, it's here now, I won't complain. Love it.

Silenttank
Jun 18, 2012, 10:06 PM
PSO2 having individual item drops AND the new party exp system where you just have to be near a monster to get the exp was brilliant imo. No more hassle of trying to hit everything once to get the maximum amount of exp available.

NoiseHERO
Jun 18, 2012, 10:11 PM

I think it had something do with with having friends actually meaning you had a 400% drop rate. 4 rolls a drop, trust your friends to trade/deliver item you wanted.

I can see how that would piss off elitists and make bitter soloists jealous.

But nobody cares about them.

Coatl
Jun 18, 2012, 10:23 PM
So what you are saying is, now I have to make friends and develop trust with them in order to have a better chance of getting the rares I want?

You're joking right? Yeah, you're joking. E-peen too high for that.

http://blog.draggle.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/fate_zero_23_1.png

Vylera
Jun 18, 2012, 10:24 PM

THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA.

/sarcasm.

njdss4
Jun 18, 2012, 11:00 PM
It's a great feature. Not having to compete for drops changes the complexion of the game and makes things more friendly.

MisterFruiz
Jun 18, 2012, 11:36 PM
Love it.
Phantasy star zero work like that too.
The drop system in Pso (and some others episode) was really a pain the ass.

Cyclon
Jun 18, 2012, 11:55 PM
Love it.
Phantasy star zero work like that too.
The drop system in Pso (and some others episode) was really a pain the ass.

Ahah yeah, dropping your weapon as you die was such an awesome idea, too.

While it IS far better that way, the fact that you can't trade without paying AC, and multiparty areas making it EXTREMELY easy to follow people around to get exp and loot without having to do anything worry me quite a bit.
As long as the game is niche, as it is right now, it's okay, but...

Laguna
Jun 19, 2012, 12:11 AM
I do like this new feature, but it won't make getting rares... as exciting like it was in my PSU days... hehe. :)

SELENNA
Jun 19, 2012, 04:34 AM
I don't like it, and I'll explain why : it removes the excitement of actually running to be the first to get the item. Now you're like "Oh, an item". Before it was "omg, red box! I need to run for it!" I loved the thrill, even though it meant you'd get sniped quite a few times. It was flawed but now I think it's too easy to get the stuff you want.

AlMcFly
Jun 19, 2012, 04:48 AM
I don't like it, and I'll explain why : it removes the excitement of actually running to be the first to get the item. Now you're like "Oh, an item". Before it was "omg, red box! I need to run for it!" I loved the thrill, even though it meant you'd get sniped quite a few times. It was flawed but now I think it's too easy to get the stuff you want.

I have three words for you: SHITTY INTERNET CONNECTIONS

I played PSU on my own connection and never ever had a problem with the "race to the rare" mechanic. I thought "psshht, maybe these guys just need to expect rares to drop and just be standing in the right places." Then I had to play PSU for 3 months on a house wifi internet connection shared between like 5 computers. This is how every boss battle went:

Boss dies and proceeds to go crazy with the bloom and graphics.

Computer slows down and doesn't register information due to wifi information bottleneck (Even on lowest settings with a great gaming computer)

Once shit starts calming down and other players stop lag-porting all over the place, all boxes are gone, and all items are picked up.

I was forced to find friendly groups and ask to call specific drops before the run would start because I would never possibly be able to pick up anything of my own.

Yep, the "race to the rare" mechanic was unbelievably unfair to anyone with inferior rigs/connections.

P.S. It won't be too easy to get the items you want if they make drop rates for rares closer to PSO (ie: 1/750,000) Some of those rares were IMPOSSIBLE to find lol

Scionni
Jun 19, 2012, 05:05 AM
Yes-- I love being able to just mindlessly pick things up now! I had to worry about item distribution etiquette back in PSO which made things a little cumbersome at times. Though now it gives you less of an opportunity to make friends by being a gentleman. Eh, minor trade-off.

Blueblur
Jun 19, 2012, 06:32 AM

You're insane and a masochist. :lol:

AlMcFly
Jun 19, 2012, 06:35 AM

I don't know about you but even though I know I get my own loot, if I see a red box I'm still going to be like "OH SHIZWTF RED BOX! WHAT IS IT?!?" and run to it as fast as I can. The thrill is still alive ;)

kdrakari
Jun 19, 2012, 06:54 AM

I don't think that's unreasonable, but I also think that the good of the switch outweighs the bad, especially if you consider MULTIPARTY AREAS, where you could solo a surprise Dark Ragne followed by ANOTHER Dark Ragne, then have some random guy who didn't even contribute come by and just grab the rare drop from you. Can be avoided (there's an option to make your multiparty area private, so you can either keep out the general public or just have a play session with more than 1 party worth of people), but if you like the idea then having free looting drops would ruin it.

darkante
Jun 19, 2012, 07:16 AM
This is the system that makes grinding fun. ^^
More games should use it.

mhjc
Jun 19, 2012, 07:30 AM

I fail to see the excitement in being hounded by an asshole who claims you stole their rare that they deserve because they were closest to it and the world revolves around them. Then, comes the spam of slurs and insults to weight.

It won't be easy to get stuff you want since it will involve a rolling die that you never see. The flaw you're thinking of is that you usually get items that are related to your class instead of an ID that magically prevents you from getting what you want/need and instead being dragged along to find items for the person who will spam "grab item" while you're busy killing everything.

doomdragon83
Jun 19, 2012, 07:33 AM
I've actually thought of this way back in the PSO days, never knew it would happen for real. I got a question: what if 2 people loot the same item, can one trade it away to the other, allowing that other person to have 2 copies of the item?
While I did thought of this long ago, I also thought of an ID system that's generated on the items when they are dropped that prevents you from possessing more than one copy of the same item if the have the same item ID.

I don't like it, and I'll explain why : it removes the excitement of actually running to be the first to get the item.
It also removes the massive disappointment you'll have when you do most/all of the work and some lazy scumbag run towards the enemy expecting it to die and swiping the item immediately.

DemonMike
Jun 19, 2012, 07:41 AM
I like the system, mainly because the fact that every one gets their own drops creates a larger selection that you can trade to your friends (providing you're all premium members).

To be honest though, I never really minded about the previous system that was in place for PSO and PSU. I mainly stuck to playing with decent people who would take turns with red boxes so I find the accusations that those with opposing opinions regarding the change in drop system are "jealous soloists with no friends" rather ironic considering you must have been playing with terrible strangers most of the time to come to loathe the system.

Akaimizu
Jun 19, 2012, 08:39 AM
I think it is good, but alas I've been getting very used to that feature and practically take it for granted nowadays. Ever since Phantasy Star Zero, just about everything I've been playing recently has unique loot drops per player.

AnnabellaRenee87
Jun 19, 2012, 08:44 AM
I didn't realize it until 5 or 6 runs latter when someone said oh wow no ones picking anything up then someone said oh we all get everything. I must say I love it :P

Macman
Jun 19, 2012, 09:05 AM
I just hope it's not like PSZ where they balance out the multiple drops by making things 4x harder to find overall.