PDA

View Full Version : Is this game worth bothering with if I ain't gonna learn no Japanese?

Scrub
Jun 18, 2012, 08:26 PM
I loved me some PSO and I loved me some PSU even more so I'm hype as all get-out for this game.

Title might be a little misleadin here: I dont mind no PEOPLE FROM JAPAN language or whatever but is it even viable to navigate menus and tell crap apart? Will I gotta jump through like fifty hoops to be able to have a shot at playin this game? I don't care that much about story I just want to be able to tell EQUIP apart from DELETE and be able to navigate menus/choose quests and whatnot.

I don't really know anyone who knows anything about the game these days or I'd just ask them. Also if this is a crappy topic delete it or tell me to I don't give a crap either way. If it ain't I'll prolly just keep askin retarded questions in it FYI.

buri-chan
Jun 18, 2012, 08:29 PM
Icon-based item system, extensive online fan support, and fan patches that we would never ever even think of doing (no way no patches here, stop looking at me like that) make it easy.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 18, 2012, 08:30 PM
hello my long lost brother

we have much to talk about, such as how anime sucks since you only live once so you should do something else with your time

NoiseHERO
Jun 18, 2012, 08:34 PM
YOLO!!!!!!

Also it's free play it because you only live once.

Vylera
Jun 18, 2012, 08:34 PM
The game is pretty intuitive even without understanding Japanese.

As previously mentioned, the game is very iconic and you can understand most things from just the symbols on your screen.

In fact, because you won't be able to understand the Japanese, you'll practically be forced to understand the icons.

I'm sure that the community is MORE than willing to make short screenshot guides for the more complicated processes that you don't just randomly figure out (like finding out where your mag is and how to feed it).

Also, I'd just like to make sure you're aware that Jap is a fairly derogatory term towards the Japanese. I'm assuming you used it as a time-saving abbreviation, but please be aware that some people will take offense.

Coatl
Jun 18, 2012, 08:35 PM
Well..to be honest I found it really annoying my first time. But it's not THAT annoying once you go over it once or twice.

Also, there will be an English patch soon enough to make us non-japanese speaking players happy.

Kous
Jun 18, 2012, 08:37 PM
I know right. An most people on this site feel the same way sometimes. But when it comes down to it we all love PSO and PSO2 so much that for the time being ( if there is gonna be a national release) we are able to put up with the mis-haps of not knowing Japanese. (personally I deleted 2 of the stronger guns i needed :-x:-x ). But really i think it comes down if you have enough hope to try to wait to see if theirs gonna be a international release or just get your kicks now with the Japanese language version and just do your best to get by. And always remember you have your GREAT friends at PSO World to help out :)

KunoMochi
Jun 18, 2012, 08:49 PM
You can be like me and go through the menu items one by one and find out what they do, or you can use sites like http://bumped.org/psublog/, which has helpful guides to help you get started in understanding what most of the menu items are.

To be honest, it's not all that difficult learning by yourself without a guide, but having a guide around saves a lot more time and hassle.

Scrub
Jun 18, 2012, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the timely response gents means a lot to me. Good to see its only FKL that died and not the whole damn site eh?? Ill at least give the game a shot, last day o' work on Friday and I got a whole week to burn before the move so ill just put d3 on the backburner and virgin it up with this game for a bit heh.

PS: tags are the best thing to ever happen to this site i wish id known that threads had tags when I made my last thread.

Zorafim
Jun 18, 2012, 08:54 PM
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Hell yeah.

Blackheart521
Jun 18, 2012, 08:56 PM

You tell 'em Mr. Fish! ^^

MelancholyWitch
Jun 18, 2012, 08:56 PM
after playing some of the betas, and not knowing a word of Japanese I can say that it wasn't difficult at all to figure things out just by testing stuff out in the menus, for example testing how to delete/store/use a monomate. You will get the hang of it after being on for a few hours.

Scrub
Jun 18, 2012, 09:43 PM
Oh yeah a lotta you fellows played the ole beta and whatnot eh? Is the lag really noticeable and/or does it detract from the experience at all?

Vylera
Jun 18, 2012, 09:45 PM
Oh yeah a lotta you fellows played the ole beta and whatnot eh? Is the lag really noticeable and/or does it detract from the experience at all?

I got no noticable lag, and i have a 200 ping, less than 1 MB/s download connection to Japan.

Coatl
Jun 18, 2012, 10:19 PM

PSO2 is the only mmo I've played that my PC has absolutely NO lag playing!
That is counting for latency and PC lag.

Scrub
Jun 18, 2012, 10:24 PM
Alright cool thanks guys.

'nother big question comin out (its a regular quiz show in this thread). How are stats relative to races in this game? The character I planned out ain't gonna be nearly as cool if he ain't a newman, but I'll be damned if I'm not gonna be usin a Gun. This ain't gonna fuck me over is it? I remember my FOcast bein kind of a piece o' shit in PSU.

Blackheart521
Jun 18, 2012, 10:27 PM
Alright cool thanks guys.

'nother big question comin out (its a regular quiz show in this thread). How are stats relative to races in this game? The character I planned out ain't gonna be nearly as cool if he ain't a newman, but I'll be damned if I'm not gonna be usin a Gun. This ain't gonna fuck me over is it? I remember my FOcast bein kind of a piece o' shit in PSU.

There isn't really that big of a difference in stats between races, definitely the lowest difference of all the games, sure you won't have the highest ranged attack out of everyone but you won't be crippled compared to RAcaseals so its all good ^^

pikachief
Jun 18, 2012, 10:30 PM
It's easy to get used to and easy to get around the game without knowing a lick o' Japanese. But you should get familiar with the community of PSO-W because there are nice people here that like to help out and translate things and set up guides on how to get through things that are a bit more text based.

Albireo
Jun 18, 2012, 11:41 PM
How are stats relative to races in this game?

Stat differences aren't that big in PSO2. For example, a level 20 RAcast only has 5 more points in their ranged attack stat compared to a level 20 RAnewm. It's nothing like PSU where there was a huge gap in ATP between Beasts and Newmans.

skuld01
Jun 19, 2012, 12:52 AM
I believe a guide about all option setting or even a English patch will come soon, so step in and enjoy.

Then you will learn Japanese in a really passive way.

Dan Maku
Jun 19, 2012, 01:02 AM

Quoted for truth

Agitated_AT
Jun 19, 2012, 01:05 AM
It may sound silly, but i think every west player should buy alite bit of AC cashso we can prove a point. They will see where it comes from right?

AlMcFly
Jun 19, 2012, 01:06 AM
The menu is pretty streamlined and simple to remember. If you have any trouble, use general chat and ask in the lobby. 90% of the time I will be there dancing so at least one person can answer you :D

Scionni
Jun 19, 2012, 05:02 AM
You're eventually going to memorize the entire UI by muscle memory alone anyways :P

AlMcFly
Jun 19, 2012, 07:06 AM
Earlier I found all the menu translations I could find online and wrote myself a very simple set of diagrams on one sheet of clear paper that will sit between the keyboard and myself for quick reference.

Rhypht
Jun 19, 2012, 08:29 AM
In addition to this forum, which is filled with people who would help you out, there are already many translation guides for the basics of the game. Check out bumped.org/PSUblog. They have updated within the past week or so with a lot of translated information, from the client launcher to the full menu system to items and a lot more. If you're concerned that you won't have a clue what's going on, it's worth giving that a look through and familiarizing yourself with the basics. But like everyone else said, it's largely icon-based, so if you're familiar with PSO1, the items should be easy to get the hang of, and the menu items are pretty self explanatory as well.

Akaimizu
Jun 19, 2012, 08:35 AM
I can't honestly answer this question since I can already read the majority of the important stuff. Configuring techs was different to say the least. In this game if you buy the art don't bother to do anything with it, just immediately try configuring it into your pallettes. At first, I was thinking you had to do a learning step afterwards, but it appears I was wrong.