PDA

View Full Version : Post Open Beta

RSmiroldo
Jun 18, 2012, 09:37 PM
Phantasy Star Online is the first closed and open beta I have ever participated in. How long is a typical open beta and after its done is there another down period before the retail release?

FenixStryk
Jun 18, 2012, 09:39 PM
An MMO in Open Beta is essentially out, minus having the OB label as an excuse for when something goes horribly wrong. Expect Open Beta to last somewhere between one to four months. DFO's Open Beta lasted somewhere around a year, but I think that's an exceptional case and not the norm.

As for downtime, it shouldn't be anything like what we've had to deal with thus far. Weekly maintenance that lasts a few hours will be common, but otherwise the servers will be up 24/7 (barring an emergency that forces them to shut things down for anywhere between an hour and a few days).

gantzkaiser
Jun 18, 2012, 09:40 PM
The Open Beta is the game Final Test so depends on the erros they got.

mctastee
Jun 18, 2012, 09:41 PM
Open beta tests vary greatly in how long they run. I have been in one that lasted the span of two months. Sometimes they last a couple of weeks, sometimes just a weekend. I am not sure how long this beta will run, but I think it will be a couple of weeks at least. Also, considering character data will roll over to the official release, I would assume release will follow shortly after the open beta closes.

Scrub
Jun 18, 2012, 09:42 PM
Most games nowadays barely even have a distinction between this kind of open beta and 'release,' unless there's somethin I ain't heard o' about this game I assume 'open beta' is just gonna be an excuse to slowly trickle in all the content until they're satisfied enough to call it release.

Mike
Jun 18, 2012, 09:45 PM
The current rumors put the game being released on the 27th. This is based on the release date of an official guide being the 27th.

MasterChuck
Jun 18, 2012, 09:46 PM
The current client is also the gold master.

RSmiroldo
Jun 18, 2012, 09:51 PM
June or July 27th?

Fujiko
Jun 18, 2012, 09:56 PM
June 27th.

They said they would roll into release immediately instead of having any significant down time.

The most downtime I would expect is possibly a maintenance or a day to prep the servers for release/patch.

Of course, this depends on if anything major pops up in open beta.

MasterChuck
Jun 18, 2012, 10:01 PM
@Fujiko So the open beta's scheduled to last no more than a week?

Mike
Jun 18, 2012, 10:35 PM
@Fujiko So the open beta's scheduled to last no more than a week?
We don't know. There is no officially scheduled end to the open beta yet but if the rumors are true, then we're in for less than a week of open beta.

youcantcatchtheblue
Jun 19, 2012, 04:41 AM
That sounds brave.... but hey we've had 2 alphas and I guess 3 betas with Open Beta so I guess it'll be fine!

SEGA wants their money quick!

Reiashi
Jun 19, 2012, 07:12 AM
How exactly do you know if you're registered for the open beta? Is having a Sega ID the only requirement?

MasterChuck
Jun 19, 2012, 07:15 AM
@Reiashi Yes. If you were previously registered for closed beta and/or pre-open beta, then you're all set! The client remains the same.

AlMcFly
Jun 19, 2012, 07:18 AM
How exactly do you know if you're registered for the open beta? Is having a Sega ID the only requirement?

If you went through the entire process to get your Sega ID here: Beta Registration (http://pso2.jp/preentry/)

Then all you have to do is enter the information at the beginning of the game when servers open, and the beginning of this article explains how: Beta Mini-Guide (http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-closed-beta-and-mini-guide/)