PDA

View Full Version : Ability to purchase AC

kdrakari
Jun 19, 2012, 06:01 AM
I don't have much experience playing non-localized games, basically just Elsword on three different non-English servers, and one thing common to all of them is that the cash shop currency could only be obtained through local credit cards or physical game cards that aren't sold outside the official region. Now I personally don't spend much money where I don't have to, so most likely won't be buying the premium service often if at all, but with only one character slot and no trading I might get one or more additional characters and the occasional My Shop, and maybe some resets or a new Mag if I feel like I messed up.

So my worry is, will it be easy or at least possible to get AC with an American card, or some other option available to people not physically situated inside Japan such as PayPal or a similar service? Or would I have to accept a method like the one currently used for Elsword (not by me since the cash items aren't worth the hassle and risk) which basically involve paying somebody in the country to buy you a card and trusting that the code they give you is valid.

MizaR
Jun 19, 2012, 06:08 AM
I've been wondering the same thing. I doubt paypal is an option, I think best chance would Be credit card

mhjc
Jun 19, 2012, 06:15 AM
I don't have much experience playing non-localized games, basically just Elsword on three different non-English servers, and one thing common to all of them is that the cash shop currency could only be obtained through local credit cards or physical game cards that aren't sold outside the official region. Now I personally don't spend much money where I don't have to, so most likely won't be buying the premium service often if at all, but with only one character slot and no trading I might get one or more additional characters and the occasional My Shop, and maybe some resets or a new Mag if I feel like I messed up.

So my worry is, will it be easy or at least possible to get AC with an American card, or some other option available to people not physically situated inside Japan such as PayPal or a similar service? Or would I have to accept a method like the one currently used for Elsword (not by me since the cash items aren't worth the hassle and risk) which basically involve paying somebody in the country to buy you a card and trusting that the code they give you is valid.

Best chance will be CC that is accepted Internationally. In some cases they want a local address, so you may not be able to pay with CC in those cases.
There are also 3rd party sellers (mainly Chinese) that you can buy the cards from and they'll just mail you a code via Email and then you just redeem the code.
When the options of how to pay are available, someone will find a method and then you can pay for items.
One thing to remember is that Hangame and some of these networks usually have limits in place to prevent addiction on spending (to an extent). So, make sure you buy what you want first and don't go crazy with spending large amounts since you can have your card blocked from fears of fraud/insanity.

Itsuki
Jun 19, 2012, 06:15 AM
When PSU updated to ISAO, credit cards from outside of Japan could be used. Prior to this, credit cards from outside of japan could not be used and we had to convert to webmoney.

Seeing as PSO2 is still using ISAO, foreign credit cards should still work.

kdrakari
Jun 19, 2012, 06:39 AM
When PSU updated to ISAO, credit cards from outside of Japan could be used. Prior to this, credit cards from outside of japan could not be used and we had to convert to webmoney.

Seeing as PSO2 is still using ISAO, foreign credit cards should still work.

Good to hear precedent. Does it work with all major cards or just certain companies regardless of location?

AlMcFly
Jun 19, 2012, 06:43 AM
Good to hear precedent. Does it work with all major cards or just certain companies regardless of location?

I'm assuming at least Visa and Mastercard. American Express support has always been a bit hit-and-miss so you'll have to wait for someone with first-hand knowledge for that answer.

kdrakari
Jun 19, 2012, 06:55 AM
As long as it's Visa I'm good, but details and confirmation rarely hurt.

GrandTickler
Jun 19, 2012, 10:35 AM
meh i dont have visa, i want paypal :(

Peejay
Jun 19, 2012, 10:53 AM
I am pretty certain I did see Paypal in the list of accepted methods. There was a page of accepted methods a bit ago in one of the news updates. I forget which.

Itsuki
Jun 19, 2012, 11:04 AM
As long as it's Visa I'm good, but details and confirmation rarely hurt.

I used to pay with a visa card that was not using VBV, though IIRC, VBV worked as well.

EDIT: n/m, don't remember my password, but, the Isao website lists these as teh available payment options. But, paypal wasn't available for PSU.:

Credit cards: Visa, MC, AMEX, JCB.
Prepaid cards: Webmoney, Net Cash, Bitcash
Online services: Paypal, Docomo, Facebook Credits

It also notes that it will always convert foreign currencies to Japanese Yen, so you'll have to pay that conversion cost.

And additionally, it notes that automatic payments are only available for credit cards.

Pyrii
Jun 19, 2012, 11:09 AM
I am pretty certain I did see Paypal in the list of accepted methods. There was a page of accepted methods a bit ago in one of the news updates. I forget which.

I was just talking about this in another thread.

Depends on how the exchange rate for JPY <> GBP goes and whether they support Paypal who do the conversion for you. My bank charges stupid fees for buying stuff in other currencies so I prefer to pay for USD transactions with paypal as they pre-convert so you know how much you're paying.

But SEGA insist on limiting their market by not allowing options like Paypal for PSU etc...

What I'm trying to say, if I can avoid my bank's conversion charges I'll prolly take the 90-day premium packs. And backpack upgrades.

Peejay
Jun 19, 2012, 11:20 AM
I was just talking about this in another thread.

Anyways, I tried checking the Sega ID login, and get a list of services. Apparently, that's not how I would pay, and there doesn't seem to be anything up now either. All I remember is it was in a blog a few weeks ago saying that because they're using Isao's methods, credit cards would be accepted internationally, and when I looked at the link myself, I saw Paypal in the list.

kdrakari
Jun 19, 2012, 11:25 AM
Hmmm... Well it would be good to know if PayPal is accepted; my bank isn't too rediculous on exchange charges last I checked, but that was for dollars to euros so it might be different for other currencies.

oifjustus
Jun 19, 2012, 12:10 PM
Could have swore I read somewhere that Ark Cash wouldn't be available for open beta.. not 100% sure.. but it was on one of the japanese news update links on the PSO2 Launcher.. Can someone double check me to confirm this?

BIG OLAF
Jun 19, 2012, 12:11 PM
Could have swore I read somewhere that Ark Cash wouldn't be available for open beta.. not 100% sure.. but it was on one of the japanese news update links on the PSO2 Launcher.. Can someone double check me to confirm this?

I recall reading on Bumped that no, AC purchase still isn't going to available for the OB.

Blackheart521
Jun 19, 2012, 12:12 PM

It isn't available but this is a pre-emptive strike at a problem that a lot of us will be wanting to know about when the full game launches ^^

Edit: Blast you Olaf, Ninja'd me!!!

LatinWolf
Jun 19, 2012, 12:34 PM
I recall reading on Bumped that no, AC purchase still isn't going to available for the OB.

what does that mean in terms of OB storage, being able to trade, and Gachas?

kdrakari
Jun 20, 2012, 12:16 AM
what does that mean in terms of OB storage, being able to trade, and Gachas?

FUN scratch tickets are still available, and everybody will have a room and a shop for the duration of OB.