PDA

View Full Version : Questions on character names

Atomsk88
Jun 19, 2012, 12:31 PM
So I've been playing PSO since the dreamcast days, but only single player. PSO2 is my first time finally playing the game with others (unless you count PS:0, but that used that friend code system), so I'm not too sure how user names works.

I noticed when playing the closed beta it seemed to ask for 3 different user names. The first was sega ID, so that was obvious. But then it asked for one as soon as I choose a ship, and then it asked me to name my actual character once I created them. To be safe, I made the second and third username the same and now I'm not sure which one was my actual "in-game" name.

So my questions:

1. What was the difference between these 2 names I entered?

2. How does name availability work? Can 2 players have a character with the same name, or will people be forced to add numbers, etc if someone else already has the name?

Let me know if I wasn't clear with my questions, thanks!

Rika-chan
Jun 19, 2012, 12:32 PM
2 or more people can have the same name, I believe.

buri-chan
Jun 19, 2012, 12:34 PM
1. Player name and character name. So your Sega ID could be Name A, your player name could be Name B, and character could be Name C.

2. Character names can have dupes thanks to player names. But the player name must be unique.

redroses
Jun 19, 2012, 12:37 PM
The second name the game asks you for is your ingame ID. It will displayed when somebody ads you to their friendslist (so, duplicates of this ID name is not possible) and all of your characters will be saved under this name. And then there is your character name which can be anything you want as it is possible for more people to name their characters the same.

MasterChuck
Jun 19, 2012, 12:38 PM
Were player names erased along with our pre-open beta characters?

buri-chan
Jun 19, 2012, 12:40 PM
Yes, it's all gone.

redroses
Jun 19, 2012, 12:40 PM
Yes, you will have to re-enter them when the open beta starts.

@buri-chan: youuuu >:c XD

Atomsk88
Jun 19, 2012, 12:42 PM
Ah, that makes sense. The in-game name was something I figured the Sega ID would cover, like I figured when people friend you they would just see that, but I guess it makes sense that they are 3 separate things.

Thanks for the info everyone! See you all in-game!