PDA

View Full Version : How many play cross gender?

Ryoga4523
Jun 19, 2012, 05:34 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys and gals out there plan on playing your own gender or plan on playing as the opposite? I always ask my friends who are guys why they play female characters, and I seem to get the strangest answers. The best though by far was when WOW first came out, a friend of mine answered my question with, "Well, if I am going to spend countless hours playing a game, I might as well have something good to look at..." Profound, albeit perverted, but profound nonetheless.

Personally I am a guy playing a human male.

buri-chan
Jun 19, 2012, 05:35 PM
I'm whatever anyone wants me to be.

bonethrack
Jun 19, 2012, 05:36 PM
I tend to play female characters because I like the clothes and items they can get better.

Raging Ghost
Jun 19, 2012, 05:37 PM
I play as a female CAST. Why?

Cyborgs > Gundams.

Or, to be put more simple: Female CASTs are the only ones with human-like parts.

Rizen
Jun 19, 2012, 05:40 PM
I use to play only male characters since I was a guy...then I got bored and started making female characters to play as alts. I enjoy making characters too much to limit myself to just one gender.

To answer the question which I will play more for PSO2? Male.

FenixStryk
Jun 19, 2012, 05:41 PM
I play whatever strikes my fancy. As it so happens, that usually involves a strong, independent woman who don't need no man. :wacko:

On a more serious note, the biggest difference is that gender-benders don't see themselves as their character; rather, they see themselves as someone who controls a separate entity, like a puppeteer. After all, why be yourself when you can be anything imaginable?

Ryoga4523
Jun 19, 2012, 05:41 PM
I tend to play female characters because I like the clothes and items they can get better.

That does makes sense. And now I am pissed that female characters models get better looking gear. (the female ranger had the cool beret, and that one swan weapon in PSO, I tried to get that for so long, only to realize that it was for females only -_-!

Dan Maku
Jun 19, 2012, 05:42 PM
While I normally don't, two of my buddies on the game cross-play. One of them cross-plays a chubby girl. :3

Ryoga4523
Jun 19, 2012, 05:44 PM
I play as a female CAST. Why?

Cyborgs > Gundams.

Or, to be put more simple: Female CASTs are the only ones with human-like parts.

Also true. I never quite understand why Ranger robot males looked like they were from cybertron when their female counterpart actually does look like a female robot...

Ryoga4523
Jun 19, 2012, 05:45 PM
While I normally don't, two of my buddies on the game cross-play. One of them cross-plays a chubby girl. :3

THAT IS AWESOME. I did that on psobb. I made fat female force and she wore purple, and I called her Grimace :)

Rizen
Jun 19, 2012, 05:47 PM
That does makes sense. And now I am pissed that female characters models get better looking gear. (the female ranger had the cool beret, and that one swan weapon in PSO, I tried to get that for so long, only to realize that it was for females only -_-!

This is also one of my biggest BIGGEST gripes with asian MMOs. They put way too much focus on female clothing and pretty much say "Screw you guys!" to those who want to play male characters.

Mabinogi is one of the biggest examples of this. For every one good looking male outfit that comes out, there are about x10 more for females made within that time frame.

My other problem is that female armor/clothing in asian MMOs...is that they show off WAY too much skin. Even the PSO2 HUnewearl outfit has her butt cheeks hanging completely out. It may as well be a thong.

Mega Ultra Chicken
Jun 19, 2012, 05:55 PM
I crossplay about 50% of the time... or 60%. Maybe 70% at max.

Randomness
Jun 19, 2012, 05:57 PM
I do. Because HUnewearl beat HUmar hands down. RAmarl beat RAmar hands down. In both cases because they had drastically superior techs (To the point where mates were an afterthought... and level 20 SDJZs didn't hurt. Nor did having "freeze traps" in Rabarta).

After that, it's pretty much just been what I do in PS games. (The item/outfit selections didn't hurt either)

Jagalun
Jun 19, 2012, 05:59 PM
lol in Japanese art style games theres no such thing as a true male looking character :p they all look like there 12 years old lol Anyways I still play male and try to make them look like a male haha

Jagalun
Jun 19, 2012, 06:10 PM
Doesn't that take away quite a bit of the immersion?

I dont think so. In TERA Online the guys looked like real guys and you still got the mystical feel that you should have from the game. I don't believe it takes anything away from the game at all. I still love the art style in the game and graphically its beautiful :p

Angelo
Jun 19, 2012, 06:11 PM
The majority of players here are G.I.R.L.s

Mega Ultra Chicken
Jun 19, 2012, 06:14 PM

Actually, crossplayer and G.I.R.L. are completely different phenomenons. Crossplayers are usually open about their real gender while G.I.R.L.s are men that claim to be women for whatever reason, including exploitation.

But this all makes me wonder whether transgendered individuals would be considered crossplayers, G.I.R.L.s, or people playing a character of their own gender.

Ryoga4523
Jun 19, 2012, 06:15 PM

hahahaha Guys In Real Life. Hilarious.

risbolla
Jun 19, 2012, 06:28 PM
Doesn't that take away quite a bit of the immersion?

I'd say any game with a UI doesn't have much going for it as far as immersing players goes.

Angelo
Jun 19, 2012, 06:37 PM
lol in Japanese art style games theres no such thing as a true male looking character :p they all look like there 12 years old lol Anyways I still play male and try to make them look like a male haha

But with customization like PSO2's you can pretty much make anything; bishounen guys, cute girls, macha chicks, and dudebro men.

Ex Valkyrie
Jun 19, 2012, 06:53 PM
I always play as my own gender. >w<
No offense, but I couldn't get into a MMO with a male character. :x

With that said, I think people should always be free to play as whatever gender they prefer.
You are meant to have fun in games, and character preferences are a big part of that! ^w^

Mag-X
Jun 19, 2012, 06:57 PM
I like cute girls, so I tend to make cute girl characters. My character isn't me, and I don't pretend that it is.

pikachief
Jun 19, 2012, 07:08 PM
THAT IS AWESOME. I did that on psobb. I made fat female force and she wore purple, and I called her Grimace :)

I also do that except mine is not named Grimace lol

Sinue_v2
Jun 19, 2012, 07:12 PM
Erm, I don't "play as a girl", but I usually have a predominance of female characters. The reason why is usually one of personification. The character I play is just a collection of statistics, textures, and wire meshes... but I invest a lot of time in raising them and developing those stats. I care about that data.

So just as a guy who invests a lot of time into improving his car or boat will refer to that object as a "she" (She's a fine vessel, or Listen to her engine purr), I also think of those characters, in a way, as "my girls" - especially when I can give a superficial female form to them.

bamanoske
Jun 19, 2012, 07:13 PM
I used to always play male till the GCN version of episodes 1 and 2 then i switched it up because the ladies seemed to have better techs (non force ones) than their male conterparts. I'll prob do another fem too but knowing myself ill have tons of chars eventually both make and female.

sugarFO
Jun 19, 2012, 07:15 PM
I dont. I play a fomarl in a pink dress because thats what i am in real life. haha. a human female force. XD

Gama
Jun 19, 2012, 07:17 PM
*removed*

edited the image.

i made a female char once, at level 10 she remained till this day.

Sinue_v2
Jun 19, 2012, 07:26 PM
But this all makes me wonder whether transgendered individuals would be considered crossplayers, G.I.R.L.s, or people playing a character of their own gender.

As far as I'm concerned, transgender individuals are whatever gender they identify with. fMRI and other brain imaging techniques have revealed structures in the brains of transgender people which correlate to the structures found in the brains of the members of the opposite sex. Since you ARE your brain, I see no reason to suspect that they are anything other than what they claim, men trapped in a woman's body or vice versa. Their being lumped into the gay/lesbian movement is rather superficial and draws false parallels between their condition and homosexuality.

Now... hermaphroditic people (such as male/female chimeras), that's the question. Would they be like Schrödinger's Transvestite, existing in a perpetual state of superposition of both and neither G.I.R.L and crossplayer?

Halcyote
Jun 19, 2012, 07:39 PM
*removed*

i made a female char once, at level 10 she remained till this day.

intent isn't magical; it's offensive whether you meant it or not.

Gama
Jun 19, 2012, 07:39 PM
Halcoyte: Edited the image. sorry.

This site is full of fruits. It's rather disgusting =/

99.9% of the people in here with female names are actually men. Sadly most of them are over 30 aswell.

Now dont get me wrong I have nothing against playing a female char. But when you go as far as to say "Oh it's a game why should I limit myself? I can be a GIRL here if I want to!" That just shows me your true inner feelings of wanting to be a girl/woman irl. It's down right ***.

Why do you do this? I'm sure there's plenty of reasons which I wont go into right now.

Most of these GROWN ass men who are overweight with a gutt and a beard seem to get this type of "excitement" from playing a cute lil loli girl. It's rather disturbing.

Now I know that ima get hated on for this, but by now everyone on this site should know that I tell it like it is. Not giving a damn who gets offended :)

i hope that you're not implying that being lgbt is disgusting...

anyway...

i'm gay but i honestly do not like using female chars, yes they're cute, yes they're adorable, but i don't identify with them.

some guys might enjoy controlling a hot chick, some guys might like "being" that hot chick, free world i guess. -.-

usually when i see a fem char on a game i treat her as a she.

"which ended terribly wrong some times"

Now... hermaphroditic people (such as male/female chimeras), that's the question. Would they be like Schrödinger's Transvestite, existing in a perpetual state of superposition of both and neither G.I.R.L and crossplayer?

good one o.o never saw it that way, thank you.

Randomness
Jun 19, 2012, 07:52 PM
But with customization like PSO2's you can pretty much make anything; bishounen guys, cute girls, macha chicks, and dudebro men.

The morphing features are pretty good for this. Just want more outfits and options for fleshies.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 19, 2012, 08:53 PM
hmmm.... my Character's female+^_^+ but she is not me, nor i her+^_^+

NoiseHERO
Jun 19, 2012, 09:01 PM
As far as I'm concerned, transgender individuals are whatever gender they identify with. fMRI and other brain imaging techniques have revealed structures in the brains of transgender people which correlate to the structures found in the brains of the members of the opposite sex. Since you ARE your brain, I see no reason to suspect that they are anything other than what they claim, men trapped in a woman's body or vice versa.

This one throws me off...

She's mostly/technically a girl but in a dudes body... you can't exactly say it's against the un-written rules if she says she's a girl.

But I guess anything near an intimate relationship would just require honesty and understanding.

Which could lead into another point, you really shouldn't care about other people's gender online... like AT ALL to begin with, unless PSO2 is your going to be your dating service because you're a desperate virgin. It's one thing to meet someone online and then there's a lot of chemistry or whatever. It's another thing if you're just HUNTING for girls in online games and getting mad at people not fitting your expectations or saying they were trying to deceive you.

(Unless they actually were trying to deceive you.)

Wait didn't you guts already make this thread within the last 2 days?

HexTheHalo
Jun 19, 2012, 09:26 PM
I dont. I play a fomarl in a pink dress because thats what i am in real life. haha. a human female force. XD
As a male human force, I share this philosophy.

NoiseHERO
Jun 19, 2012, 09:34 PM
As a male human force, I share this philosophy.

You're both forces of NOTHING!!!!

AlMcFly
Jun 19, 2012, 09:39 PM
I don't unless I want an item storage wench.

Faiyez
Jun 19, 2012, 09:46 PM
I'll invariably choose a female when I get the choice.

Coatl
Jun 19, 2012, 09:48 PM
Because most MMOs make the male characters look too bulky and unassociable.
You could argue that that's what made the trend of most people playing as girl characters in mmos.

Or that everyone wants to see some jiggle in PSO2. >_>
I wouldn't be surprised!

Akaimizu
Jun 19, 2012, 09:49 PM
I won't lie. I will play either gender. Some are based off of story-book characters I created. Others will be wild inspired ideas that I just have to see modeled. I'm a creator. I have to create stuff and I don't let limitations get in the way.

gigawuts
Jun 19, 2012, 09:52 PM
I like to look at boobies. And nice butts. Sue me.

BIG OLAF
Jun 19, 2012, 10:05 PM
I'm sure someone mentioned this already, but wouldn't this thread kind of fall in with the whole "Character Number Analysis" thread that was on the first page a while ago?

Griffin
Jun 19, 2012, 10:09 PM
Can't make a guy that looks cool to me. Not in any game I've ever played.

Ryuujin13
Jun 19, 2012, 10:14 PM
I play as a guy in my games. Not really interested in the fashion items to much, rather spend money and weapons and explosives.

ManaAria
Jun 19, 2012, 10:48 PM
As someone who recently came out as being transgender, I find that playing as a female character is much more comfortable for me than playing as a male character ever was. I had always played a male character before because it was "what was normal". Now that I do play female characters in games, though, I find no problems with immersion nor identification. I do happen to like a lot of the outfits for female characters as well (a little modesty would be nice though, luckily the Human clothing has this) and will agree that male characters usually get the short end of the stick in that regard.

As for the remarks from dias_flac_0g or whoever; rather than telling it like it is, they are just being downright stereotypical. Speak for yourself and not for the rest of us, please.

AlMcFly
Jun 19, 2012, 11:01 PM
As someone who recently came out as being transgender, I find that playing as a female character is much more comfortable for me than playing as a male character ever was. I had always played a male character before because it was "what was normal". Now that I do play female characters in games, though, I find no problems with immersion nor identification. I do happen to like a lot of the outfits for female characters as well (a little modesty would be nice though, luckily the Human clothing has this) and will agree that male characters usually get the short end of the stick in that regard.

Nice! So I assume your OBT character will be a different model than your Pre-OBT character? :D

ManaAria
Jun 19, 2012, 11:11 PM
Nice! So I assume your OBT character will be a different model than your Pre-OBT character? :D

Probably. :P I liked the style of the outfit, but I feel like it could have been made of more than transparent green plastic. :X
Most likely going to switch to the Human Ranger or Force one, if I can make it look good. Of course this is all just until I can get that awesome Echo outfit.

Zyrusticae
Jun 19, 2012, 11:16 PM
Technically I'm not playing cross-gender because I'm transgender. ;)

Daisengan
Jun 19, 2012, 11:25 PM
I tend to create female characters even though I'm a guy IRL.
I usually get bored of creating male characters so that's why I've been switching to female characters. It's seriously funny how guys try to hit on me though. Take all dem presents. It just somehow works, even though I hate doing that. So if you ever run into my character, just know that I'm a guy.

goldwing
Jun 19, 2012, 11:32 PM
I play my gender

Cyrusnagisa
Jun 19, 2012, 11:36 PM
There are very few games that I play male characters when given the choice. That said I will be female. In PSU though I had a female and male both geared in different ways.

Neirene
Jun 20, 2012, 12:40 AM

As for the remarks from dias_flac_0g or whoever; rather than telling it like it is, they are just being downright stereotypical. Speak for yourself and not for the rest of us, please.

I can imagine the joy that you are feeling ^^ it's a very big fight to actually become that person you actually are in your soul and heart for real and the fact that online games gives so much liberty to actually make all kind of characters i understand that you feel much more confortable playing a girl character now than a boy.

Moreover as for me I usually stick with my gender in games as well mainly because that way i feel i'm fighting to show the players that still beleive women cannot play properly any game that we can play it too as good as many of them.

Btw ManaAria you mentioned this " because it was "what was normal". " there is no such a thing as a "normal" person just be yourself and enjoy it and be happy ^^