PDA

View Full Version : Still playing Japanese Server?

Kous
Jun 19, 2012, 10:15 PM
I have heard some of people on this forums say that even if there is a NA/EU release for the game they would still play the Japanese server.

Can someone try to explain to me why this may be because i don't seem to get. It seems just kinda weird that you would rather be on a server with most the population and menu names are in a different language that you can't speak or read.

I mean is it because most of us including me are gonna play the Japanese server when it releases for them, but i can gladly say if there is gonna be a NA/EU release. I would leave my high lv. character and awesome mag so that I can be in a environment with other players that I can communicate with easier. I understand some people wouldn't want to leave there characters, but I think the PRO's overwhelm the CON's of leaving the Japanese server and playing a NA/EU server.

( Also i noticed it is very annoying not putting Japs. I know its dis-respectful, but OMG when you put it that much it annoying not abbreviating )

( Also see my fail of trying to make title BOLD XD. If that is even possible)

Crimson Exile
Jun 19, 2012, 10:18 PM
I have heard some of people on this forums say that even if there is a NA/EU release for the game they would still play the Japanese server.

Can someone try to explain to me why this may be because i don't seem to get. It seems just kinda weird that you would rather be on a server with most the population and menu names are in a different language that you can't speak or read.

I mean is it because most of us including me are gonna play the Japanese server when it releases for them, but i can gladly say if there is gonna be a NA/EU release. I would leave my high lv. character and awesome mag so that I can be in a environment with other players that I can communicate with easier. I understand some people wouldn't want to leave there characters, but I think the PRO's overwhelm the CON's of leaving the Japanese server and playing a NA/EU server.

( Also i noticed it is very annoying not putting Japs. I know its dis-respectful, but OMG when you put it that much it annoying not abbreviating )

I don't want another "Psu Na" to happen. Servers and service wasn't up to par with Jp.

Spellbinder
Jun 19, 2012, 10:19 PM
For your side comment, you could always say JP. It's a letter shorter. :P

As for the topic at hand, if you look back at previous incarnations of the online Phantasy Star franchise, and then do a comparison and contrast of updates, customer support, events, etc. between Japanese servers and the rest of the world, you'll probably see why some would rather stay.

Halcyote
Jun 19, 2012, 10:20 PM
if you want to abbreviate/shortform use JP or JPN; it's not that hard.

psu's regional service burned too many people as far as content delays and customer support which is why there are people who would rather stay on the jp servers and not have to deal with that headache.

sugarFO
I just put JP since everything is offensive.

bamanoske
things ive learned bout sega and PSO, the japanese content is allways better than what we get. I played only a small portion of PSU but ive read that they got way more updates and events than the NA/EU ppl. But with the no NA release yet alot of us will be putting alot of time here so we will be used to it

Peejay
Jun 19, 2012, 10:22 PM
The idea is the discrepancy between server updates.

Use PSU as an example for all the things that never showed up in the west.

Ex Valkyrie
Jun 19, 2012, 10:23 PM
I am someone who would greatly benefit from everything being in English, however, I personally don't like starting over... :x Especially if I choose to invest money into the character! That's wasted funds! D:

There is almost always content lost/censored due to localization for two, which although would be a minor thing most likely, it would be annoying, especially if it took away from the game's story.

Not to mention, you'd likely lose contact to possible friends you may have made; that's never fun. :/

There is also the whole ordeal of the versions typically being different from each other, and in my experience, the main edition of the game usually gets a bit more attention, and I may notice that...

I'd much rather them abort the idea of a NA release, and to instead make PSO2's initial server an international one, and make official translations for the game's text as an option you can adjust in-game. :3

Vashyron
Sega's Track Record of handling Phantasy Star games in the West.

Leaving my potential progress in the JP server is probably at the bottom of the list of why I wouldn't swap over compared to that.

Mike
Sega's managment of English language Phantasy Star games has been, as of late, poor, to put it nicely, and people don't want to deal with that again. Reading in to the PSU and parts of the PSP section will give you some insight on this.

Lumir
Jun 19, 2012, 10:25 PM
I agree with what others have posted. SoA has failed hard in the past concerning the PSO franchise, knowing that Japanese have always done awesome I wouldnt mind staying on the JP servers when or if the US gets a release. Im more for Japan hosting international servers and having a mix of everybody (with the exception of the annoying BRs. Dont get me wrong ive met good BRs but they are extremely rare).

buri-chan
The JP servers will get everything earlier and better implemented, and I don't feel like starting over from level 0. It'd also add some major points to my hipstermeter.

Demon-
Well in the past both PSOBB and PSU had nonexistent support and slow updates. PSOBB was completely forgotten after a few months and PSU was over a year behind in updates. Also hackers running rampant didn't help ether. This was all due to horrible service from SOA and Sonic Team spoon feeding us updates.

Leica
Jun 19, 2012, 10:27 PM
The IDEAL situation would be global accommodation upon official game release with all our characters remaining on our servers but with added channels for different languages/countries.

Should that not happen, I will most likely be one of those to stick to the JP server. I realize that the menus may be annoying to read at first but after enough gameplay it becomes second nature to just memorize the placement and navigation becomes a lot easier. [I had this experience with the Pokemon games wayyyyy back in the day lol]

I also prefer a closer and smaller community to interact with, so the English community on the JP servers suits me just fine. I think its fun when everybody sort of knows everybody. Besides this, my other reasons are pretty minor: more recent updates, more celebrated holidays and possibly more content.

kdrakari
Jun 20, 2012, 12:28 AM
Also worthy of note, if we all stay on the JP server then there won't be the issue of not having anybody to talk to, if we get the already in progress english patch then there won't be the issue of inability to understand things, and if we stay in JP we don't have to deal with losing all our progress to move to a server with later and less frequent updates.

FerrPSO
Jun 20, 2012, 06:24 AM
if we get the already in progress english patch then there won't be the issue of inability to understand thing

Problem is, as far as I know, there some things that are server side, like items descriptions, NPC talk and (I think) story stuff too, so that couldnt be translated

Pyrii
Jun 20, 2012, 06:27 AM
Sega's managment of English language Phantasy Star games has been, as of late, poor, to put it nicely, and people don't want to deal with that again. Reading in to the PSU and parts of the PSP section will give you some insight on this.

I'm with everyone else on this, SEGA West have been horrible in handling online services, PSU was a laggy POS in the west and it's all down to them not caring and being too lazy to run the service properly.

It's the usual western release methodology. Spend minimal effort, release a poor service that doesn't work properly and refuse to port of content updates meaning people get bored and don't see the service as worthwhile. Then close down the service saying people didn't want it because the numbers went down due to their poor management.

mhjc
Jun 20, 2012, 06:33 AM
I'd likely stay as well. Although, it really varies on time with friends. Some friends may want the English version, and I'd join them, but the time they aren't around I'll stick to the JP servers. More than likely, if it does come out as a western release, it'll have maybe 1 special event for every 10 events Japan gets. That's just the nature of the system itself, since there are rarely any promotion deals that western markets will promote while Japan lives off these crossovers.

ZIE creations
Jun 20, 2012, 07:20 AM
(Haven't posted here in a long while... MAKE MY CONTRIBUTION!)

As others have said, look at PSU... it's sad to say if a US/EU version of PSO 2 was to release the hardcore fans would be excluded from the crowd. PSU's updates were not the only problem either. The population began to fade of decency and elitist attitudes tried to top everyone. I don't feel the JP side will be the same. I'm trying to learn some Japanese so me being on JP servers will help a lot and with a small community, even though no one knows me yet >.<, it will create a better atmosphere to the game.

Think of the JP server as an adventure... you don't know the language, you don't know the natives, you don't know the routes, you don't even know what you're told by the pilot to your destination. The only thing you do know is the few stranded with you, figuring things out as you go...

Ezodagrom
Jun 20, 2012, 07:21 AM
Not just the Phantasy Star franchise, but also the other non-Sonic franchises.
For example, even though the game is ready to be released, they delayed Anarchy Reigns from July to Q1 2013, from a period with close to no big releases to a period that is way too crowded with big releases.

Platinum Games wasn't even informed by the delay, they only learned about this the same way the fans did, from SEGA's twitter.

Platinum Games is even recommending western players to import the game from Japan, since the japanese version and english version are identical (including support for english voice acting and subtitles).

DemonMike
Jun 20, 2012, 07:32 AM
Yeah, I'm going to stick to the Japanese servers for as long as possible. Though if they really do have an English release on the cards, I can definitely see them forcing us to play that one. I just hope they have the decency to transfer our characters over if that happens.

mousel
Jun 20, 2012, 07:36 AM
If they have an English release and it's separate, I'll see how many people move over/start playing there. If it's more populated with English-speakers than the JP servers, I'll consider moving over, but I'd probably stay on the JP servers otherwise.

Mag_Launcher
Jun 20, 2012, 07:40 AM
Best case would be if they just let us play on the JP servers using the English localization options if/when they become available. Otherwise, if they try to separate, they might as well get the coffin nails ready because we know exactly where that will end up within a year or so.

Cyclon
Jun 20, 2012, 07:42 AM
For the reasons mentionned here, I'd like to stay on the JP side too, but as my friends refuse to play a game not translated in their native language, I may not really have a choice.

supersonix9
Jun 20, 2012, 07:44 AM
Japanese people are nicer.
Japanese people are cooler.
Japanese people are better.
Play the Japanese server.

ryoko227
Jun 20, 2012, 07:44 AM

I will most certainly continue to play on the Japanese server, for exactly the opposite of the reasons you listed. I live in Japan, and I do speak the language :P

Graven
Jun 20, 2012, 07:45 AM
I will play slowly, won't fully commit to the game, until they give a word about an western localization or an official support for english language, if both happen, i'd definitely stay in JP servers.

As much as i like the game, playing with jp language definitely cripples my experience.

supersonix9
Jun 20, 2012, 07:46 AM
Again.....

Learn Katakana, and you'll already be halfway towards reading everything in the game. No need for localization.

ZIE creations
Jun 20, 2012, 07:49 AM
Again.....

Learn Katakana, and you'll already be halfway towards reading everything in the game. No need for localization.

I actually think over half of it is in katakana.. I'd be brave enough to say 80% since "self created" words (if that's what you'd call them) are generally in katakana. The Kanji is the only part anyone would really have any issues with, just get japanese symbol charts and machine translate/learn as you go ^.^

Rhypht
Jun 20, 2012, 07:52 AM
In addition, I think I'd enjoy the game in Japanese with English subtitles over English voice acting, but I can't really decide yet.

supersonix9
Jun 20, 2012, 07:58 AM
I actually think over half of it is in katakana.. I'd be brave enough to say 80% since "self created" words (if that's what you'd call them) are generally in katakana. The Kanji is the only part anyone would really have any issues with, just get japanese symbol charts and machine translate/learn as you go ^.^

Yep, pretty much. Would take you at most a week of dedicated learning. It's not like you could only use it for PSO2, either.

In addition, I think I'd enjoy the game in Japanese with English subtitles over English voice acting, but I can't really decide yet.

I know quite a bit of Japanese (but I'm still learning), and I appreciate the English subtitles, but for some reason I find it more fun and challenging to try and navigate the game playing blind and sort of figuring everything out by myself. I don't know, maybe that's just me.

Urzu4
Jun 20, 2012, 07:59 AM
Hey guys, sorta new here (haven't been on in a while ether). After playing PSU EN id definitely say im going to be one to stick with JP. Also nice to meet you all!

Gama
Jun 20, 2012, 07:59 AM
Japanese people are nicer.
Japanese people are cooler.
Japanese people are better.
Play the Japanese server.

well they're nice but usually only some of them try to talk w you.

cooler- i like the Japanese culture over mine, but i think its subjective

better, well i like how their society works. are they better? subjective again -.-

Play the Japanese server?

no questions about that! xD

-------------------

Nice to meet you.
>Urzu4

Mag_Launcher
Jun 20, 2012, 08:01 AM
I'd rather they just translate the text only for the English language option, because they're gonna be wasting quite a lot of time localizing if they're wanting to actually have the spoken dialogue rerecorded. Plus 40+ assorted flavors of nondescript grunts and other exertion noises.

EvilMag
Jun 20, 2012, 08:01 AM
Japanese servers for me.

I'm not touching the English servers if they're split.

supersonix9
Jun 20, 2012, 08:04 AM
You can tell that the Japanese server is much more friendly when you're greeted every time you join a party, congratulated every time you level up, and thanked at the end of every mission.

Those are things that are EXTREMELY rare on a NA server. You'll maybe get a 'Hey.' and that's about it.

ZIE creations
Jun 20, 2012, 08:12 AM
You can tell that the Japanese server is much more friendly when you're greeted every time you join a party, congratulated every time you level up, and thanked at the end of every mission.

Those are things that are EXTREMELY rare on a NA server. You'll maybe get a 'Hey.' and that's about it.

I think that mainly has to do with the cultures we live in. In the US everyone is a selfish (not finishing this sentence)

As from research I've done for some research papers, it isn't "nice" to say "Hello," it's required. If you don't people will A. See you as hostile/mean or B. think you are not present or don't notice them.

All in all we live in a very self centered culture where as other cultures are far from it...

sugarFO
Jun 20, 2012, 09:34 AM
Lol at the Japanophiles holding JP on some pillar of cultural and societal perfection. No society is perfect, and you dont need to bash your own culture either. Thats just silly.

Anyway, I am used to JP PSU and I had fun there. It took some time to adjust but once I got the hang of things I got on alright. I will probably stay on JP if they allow us.

Pyrii
Jun 20, 2012, 10:05 AM
Lol at the Japanophiles holding JP on some pillar of cultural and societal perfection. No society is perfect, and you dont need to bash your own culture either. Thats just silly.

Anyway, I am used to JP PSU and I had fun there. It took some time to adjust but once I got the hang of things I got on alright. I will probably stay on JP if they allow us.

Agreed, Japan has it's drawbacks, the over-polite culture breeds over-conformity and an inability for people to speak out against serious issues. Take Taiji for example and how almost nothing has been done.

Japan has it's problems too and you really need to understand it's culture and history. Not just it's language.

ZIE creations
Jun 20, 2012, 10:08 AM
Agreed, Japan has it's drawbacks, the over-polite culture breeds over-conformity and an inability for people to speak out against serious issues. Take Taiji for example and how almost nothing has been done.

Japan has it's problems too and you really need to understand it's culture and history. Not just it's language.

I never said they didn't have draw backs, I was just commenting they are in a less, self-centered culture. I honestly am glad to be an American because we have this whole greed thing. It gives us advantages other countries don't have. Still wish people would think of others tho >.>

z121231211
Jun 20, 2012, 12:19 PM
For me, half the fun of playing the game is that there's a chance I might actually have to use that year of Japanese I took. It encourages me to go learn more of it. So I'd probably stay on the JP servers unless my friends suddenly want to play (but they're busy with WoW).

Though I'm not too sure about the culture debate. You'll find assholes everywhere, and I don't really find it much of a problem with either communities to care.