PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 Translation patch bans?

trentjosh
Jun 20, 2012, 08:01 AM
i know we cant post any links to the patch but i was just wondering if anyone knew if the possibility of getting banned would exist for using the patch as i would like to use it for my lack of japanese but not at the risk of losing my account

Drifting Fable
Jun 20, 2012, 08:05 AM
Well one the patch no longer works, don't bother.

Two, yes technically. But heck the ToS also says we're supposed to be playing this game from Japan. So the decision is really up to you as it is most likely a rule that won't see any cracking down on.

MetalestX
we honestly dont know :P

ashley50
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195593

ZIE creations
Jun 20, 2012, 08:07 AM
Posting it here, obviously bad, using it on the game? Yeah, it's ban-able. It is a 'modification' to the game and therefor can be taken as bad even if you don't intend to create exploits or anything of the sort. Your best bet is to just learn Katakana and let the game be as is lol

Rhypht
Jun 20, 2012, 08:10 AM
This has been discussed in a few other threads this week, and the bottom lines that keep getting mentioned are:

Technically, yes, it can get you banned.
Theoretically, it probably wont, since it's just a modification of client-side text, and isn't tampering with anything server-side. That said, there's no guarantees.

trentjosh
Jun 20, 2012, 08:12 AM
okay that was what i was thinking since it would be modifying i guess its time to learn some Japanese :D i had it pre OBT where i could do menus and stuff but im scared im going to have trouble with mags and not be able to buy another one (when i try to log onto the website i get a captcha and have no idea how to get the Japanese characters typed in to get past it)

ashley50
Jun 20, 2012, 08:14 AM
You either type them in, or do like what the rest do. Copy and paste.

ZIE creations
Jun 20, 2012, 08:17 AM
okay that was what i was thinking since it would be modifying i guess its time to learn some Japanese :D i had it pre OBT where i could do menus and stuff but im scared im going to have trouble with mags and not be able to buy another one (when i try to log onto the website i get a captcha and have no idea how to get the Japanese characters typed in to get past it)

If you ever have trouble you can always try to learn with me in game! My character should be named "スピリットシャード" I'll be running through some story and doing my best to figure things out. at some point there should be no reason for translations >.>

Mike
Jun 20, 2012, 08:18 AM
But heck the ToS also says we're supposed to be playing this game from Japan. So the decision is really up to you as it is most likely a rule that won't see any cracking down on.
No, it doesn't. That was one of the requirements for signing up for some of the alpha testing but the latest terms of service doesn't include that clause. Anyways, a patch is an at-your-own-risk kind of thing.

Sp-24
Jun 20, 2012, 08:21 AM
No, it doesn't. That was one of the requirements for signing up for some of the alpha testing but the latest terms of service doesn't include that clause. Anyways, a patch is an at-your-own-risk kind of thing.

Hahaha, thanks for clarifying. I ran to check the ToS again after reading that, because I've been expecting a restriction like that this whole time.

mhjc
Jun 20, 2012, 08:23 AM
If you ever have trouble you can always try to learn with me in game! My character should be named "スピリットシャード" I'll be running through some story and doing my best to figure things out. at some point there should be no reason for translations >.>

There'll always be a need for translations. You'll always come across some kanji that you're not familiar with, even if you're fairly fluent in the language. Some kanji is created and there's tons of esoteric words or onomatopoeia that you're unsure of.
Then, there are slangs, which there'll be plenty of. Japanese usually abbreviate the hell out of everthing with just 2 characters and then you may be lost when they don't refer to something by the full name.

ZIE creations
Jun 20, 2012, 08:29 AM
There'll always be a need for translations. You'll always come across some kanji that you're not familiar with, even if you're fairly fluent in the language. Some kanji is created and there's tons of esoteric words or onomatopoeia that you're unsure of.
Then, there are slangs, which there'll be plenty of. Japanese usually abbreviate the hell out of everthing with just 2 characters and then you may be lost when they don't refer to something by the full name.

That's where "try my best" plays in. I don't need the full story as I'm smart enough to fill missing lines ^.^ Kanji has been my only nightmare and the story elements seemed pretty clear of it. My only question is how do people grow up with English then come to knowing Japanese with a large enough kanji library to never have problems... or does it ever happen?

mhjc
Jun 20, 2012, 08:34 AM
That's where "try my best" plays in. I don't need the full story as I'm smart enough to fill missing lines ^.^ Kanji has been my only nightmare and the story elements seemed pretty clear of it. My only question is how do people grow up with English then come to knowing Japanese with a large enough kanji library to never have problems... or does it ever happen?

As I said before, there's always some problems. Usually stats and/or esoteric terms come up that you just can't prepare for. Stats drive me crazy, since they aren't always simple and prefer to be obscure in some manner instead of just being "attack, defend, magic" they have to throw in something else like "strike attack" now.
People who are very fluent just get the gist or have things explained in the tutorials that elaborate on what said terms mean. The language also evolves since many terms that are common nowadays didn't exist about 10 years back.
You just see kanji enough and understand it at some point, or someone can tell you what it means and you just associate it with that term until you meet a new phrase/word that expands the association you hold to it.

MasterChuck
Jun 20, 2012, 08:45 AM
I very much doubt Sega would issue bans over use of a translation patch. The patch is most likely undetectable, and if they DID, that's bad presss that they don't need.

Viciouscore
Jun 20, 2012, 08:52 AM
No one expects the Spanish inquisition.

bonethrack
Jun 20, 2012, 09:02 AM
oh how i long for the day when language barriers no long exist. i mean my browser can translate any page into English or other languages and there are even chat programs like mibbit that can translate the text on the fly mmos should think about adding something like that

Macman
Jun 20, 2012, 09:03 AM
^ WHERE'S MY WORD SELECT, SEGA?!

Zeota
Jun 20, 2012, 09:07 AM
^ WHERE'S MY WORD SELECT, SEGA?!

Squashed like an insect beneath the heel of cyberbalkanization.

Sailor*Venova
Jun 30, 2012, 10:24 PM
They have basically no way of knowing wether your using the patch or not (assuming it's ever successfully applied to full pso2), except when they scan the files during an update or when GameGuard starts, which that is before you login, so unless they linked you IP address to you account (which would cause headaches for anyone on a dynamic IP) they have no way of knowing that it's your account. GameGuard only will scan memory and other applications while the game is running, afaik it will not recheck the game files while the game is running, and even then, thats going to alot of trouble to protect some text. While technically it could be viewed as a modification, I think they are more worried about the possibility of real hacks and exploits then some NA players running a translation patch to enjoy the game more fully. If nothing else I think that shows how much we want the game here. If you had to run some program that injected the translation into the game's memory while it ran, that could generate GameGuard events and possibly cause a ban or something, but I think generally, GameGuard doesn't actually do anything to ban people, it just does what it can to prevent runtime modifications and messing with the game's memory or networking. If a person is actually doing some kind of hack thing, it's usually up to players to report them, then Sega will check server logs on that user and determine if they have been doing something wrong. This would not affect the english patch because the translations are all client side, the server has no idea that your running the game translated; and it's unlikely they have a mechanism to check for that at all. Now, if you go post a video up of you using the translation patch, and Sega really hated it for some reason, they still couldn't ban you unless your character name is unique, or the video shows your actual account name, which normally you don't really see ingame at all.

TL;DR they likely don't really have any way of knowing your account is running on a client using the translation patch, unless you try to actually do nefarious things and people catch you (such as those broomop videos), and that can be associated or linked to your account name (not just character name because those are not unique), there is little need to be concerned. They could hunt through chatlogs, but thats too much effort - they have more important things to worry about, most of the time.

Of course none of that matters now because the patch can't be reapplied because they have been unable to get through the changed encryption method of the files.

Crimson Exile
Jul 1, 2012, 01:34 AM
Been using guides so long don't really care for a patch. Used guides so much I know the menu by hard. Also only use guides for matter-board/client orders now. If the patch comes I doubt that I will even care to download it. It's only limited to what it translates anyways.

gigawuts
Jul 1, 2012, 02:14 AM
I just learned katakana. It took me all of 2-3 days. I pick up on these things faster than some, but it really shouldn't give you any trouble if you try. I've wanted to learn some other language but never got around it until now, and the exposure is sure making it easier than if I was just looking at it for brief periods of time.

It certainly helps that almost everything is english, but written in moonrunes. The biggest helper was item names, and between the characters I could easily recognize from stuff like monomates and atomizers and a couple guides to reference I pretty easily picked up on things like friend partners, my room, my shop, etc.

edit: this only helps with stuff written out though, I still have nfi what most item descriptions are supposed to mean

supervamp78
Jul 1, 2012, 10:39 AM
I've been using client side mods alot with mmos and yes they are agianst tos and technically can get you banned.Do the people who run the game every really ban for them?No. They usually look at more serious things rather then client side mods.

So it's alot safer then most think and i have no problem using one.And with this game itd be a great help.To know what everything is saying.

ConsummateK
Jul 1, 2012, 11:55 AM
Is your spacebar broken?

Blackheart521
Jul 1, 2012, 02:25 PM
Use the English patch?

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/265/714/8de.gif