PDA

View Full Version : Extra Character Question

Nadeem K
Jun 20, 2012, 04:18 PM
If you buy extra character slots, do they get another individual name, or the name you first chose when logging in?

Sp-24
Jun 20, 2012, 04:19 PM
You get to name your character after creating it, so I assume all of them will be able to be named individually.

MasterSpark
Jun 20, 2012, 04:20 PM
The name you entered when your first logged on to online isn't your character's name, it's more like your in-game account name that people can use to tie all of your characters to you. Atleast that's how I think that works. When you were joining another player's game you could see that account name in parentheses next to their character name.

Nadeem K
Jun 20, 2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the answers, Im going to try and snag a famous name, and then ill buy another character slot for my name when the game goes official because you can't buy money during open beta.

MasterSpark
Jun 20, 2012, 04:25 PM
Oh, that's another thing... character names cannot be taken. ^^

Nadeem K
Jun 20, 2012, 04:29 PM
Wait could you explain what you mean? Are you saying multiple people can be named the same thing?

MasterSpark
Jun 20, 2012, 04:30 PM
Yes. It worked the same way in the previous game, Phantasy Star Universe. Characters aren't uniquely identified by their names, but by an underlying ID of some kind. Possibly the account name that you register when you first go online, I'm not quite sure..

Lintor
Exactly, when you first logged in, that initial name, is basically your Member ID, unique and tied to all chars. Therefore, chars can be named whatever without conflict. So everyone can name their character Cloud, or whatever the JP MMO equivalent is.

Blackheart521
Yes, because your character has an ID number to differentiate it from others so anybody can name their characters whatever they want regardless of if someone else is named it. ^^

Edit: Double Ninja'd

Sp-24
Jun 20, 2012, 04:31 PM
Multiple characters can be named the same. But your universal name that's associated with your Sega ID account (which you must enter before you get to create any characters) must be unique.

Itsuki
Jun 20, 2012, 04:33 PM
Adding even more:

In team (guild) chat your in-game is displayed when you speak.

In public chat and party chat your character name is displayed when you speak.

I forget which one is displayed for whispers, but IIRC, it was also your character name.

Lintor
Jun 20, 2012, 04:34 PM
Whispers was account name I thought. or maybe it was some weird combination with one name in parenthesis. Either way, I remember paranoid thinking I was whispering someone else.
Friends list displays both names.

Nadeem K
Jun 20, 2012, 04:35 PM
So, is the character name you've selected, does it show up? or like mentioned in an above comment, both names are next to each other? Id like the character name to be shown first, or the biggest thing to be seen, Its not an issue if the account name is somewhere visible.

MasterSpark
Jun 20, 2012, 04:37 PM
For at least the majority of the game it will be your character's given name that is shown. I didn't pay much attention to where the account name showed up besides from the quest counter when you tried to join another player.

Sp-24
Jun 20, 2012, 04:37 PM
Your character's name is what most people see. Your account name shows up on the friends list, and I assume in some other places, but not everywhere.

Lintor
Jun 20, 2012, 04:38 PM
Account name is only visible when it matters, such as whispering, friends list, or guild chat. In the lobby, in parties, in public game listings, its only ever char name.

Account name is closer to a secret ID, its not just plastered everywhere.

This obviously makes whispering hard as you have to know a potentially unknown ID, you can't whisper by char name as it might have a conflict.

I don't need to edit to anticipate a ninja. EDIT: I did to anticipate 2...

Nadeem K
Jun 20, 2012, 04:40 PM
kk cool thanks, Im just going to create my char/name I always use, and then when the game hits official, ill buy an extra character character slot and use the popular name, thanks a lot for the responses guys! :D