PDA

View Full Version : how to enjoy a game: the past and the present

hbmizzle10
Jun 20, 2012, 04:48 PM
as we all know phantasy star online(dreamcast and gamecube versions) were the one of the best and original game that sega has made for it's fan based community. the game was revolutionary not just for it's own brand of uniqueness but
being one of the first games to introduce online gaming on a console. unfortunately this success was short lived when the dreamcast life was cut short thanks to the release of the playstation 2. although some most of the games on that console was mostly long forgotten some still got a second chance on a different console. one of these games as we all know is pso on the gamecube. doing very little changes in the re-release(in my opinion is a good thing) it inspired a new set of fans, reminded you what made this game so great, and why people loved the dreamcast soo much. however, the game did little too inspire popularity, which unfortunitly led to sonic team to experiment with less than successful tactics(also in my opinion) which further hurt it's popularity. so my question to you pso fans today what did you love soo much about pso? what would you change to sega's past marketing and managing skills to keep pso in a steady line of great games(and keep sega a top console contender) and lastly why would you prefer pso to any other mass multiplayer rpg?

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 20, 2012, 04:50 PM
your writing is fine but please use the enter key and split up that chunk of writing mayn

i only liked it because of the music and jungle/beach area. those parts REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAlly stuck out to me. it was rather hypnotizing.

hbmizzle10
Jun 20, 2012, 04:53 PM
uuuh ok ill remember that next time.......sooo my question to you pso fans today what did you love soo much about pso? what would you change to sega's past marketing and managing skills to keep pso in a steady line of great games(and keep sega a top console contender) and lastly why would you prefer pso to any other mass multiplayer rpg?

Blackheart521
Jun 20, 2012, 05:55 PM
I really think if they either:

1. Showed it at E3 then it would get some saturation in the market
2. Showed commercials on TV/Internet would very much help it get known

I prefer Phantasy Star games over other MMOs for the simple fact that it doesn't repeat what every single other MMORPG does, the battle system isn't just auto attack with hotkey skills. Phatasy Star has running around mid battle, timing your attacks, dodging and blocking (in PSO2 at least) all in real time, and the theme of it all is more interesting... most games go for a fantasy/olden days kind of thing, I love the Sci-Fi setting that is so refreshing after playing tons of games where its just warrior, rogue, wizard, cleric setup with robes and metal/leather armor, its just so unique.

I just think it brings something different to the table ^^

Zeota
Jun 20, 2012, 06:17 PM
I like these games even more for the fact they subvert that damn "holy trinity" from other games.

Dan Maku
Jun 20, 2012, 06:19 PM
PSO has always been unique from other MMOs I've played. The gameplay of most contemporary MMOs has always felt to me like one-man RTS games. I hate RTS games, almost as much as sports games. PSO and PSO2 feel more akin to action games than most MMOs, which has always tickled my fancy.

The Phantasy Star series, in general, has always been awesome anyway. First J-RPG series to incorporate sci-fi elements, a more interesting and consistent mythos as a result, better story-telling (Alys died, but nobody cried? To hell with Aeris 3:< )...

AlMcFly
Jun 20, 2012, 06:22 PM
I feeeel like there is a question in there? XD

My answer to all three (?) is emphasize the community. Best part of this game. Easily.

Rizen
Jun 20, 2012, 06:23 PM
I like these games even more for the fact they subvert that damn "holy trinity" from other games.

Amen!

catwat
Jun 20, 2012, 06:33 PM
What is this i don't even :-?
Topic title wtf

hbmizzle10
Jun 22, 2012, 02:45 PM
dont like the title?

Mr Champloo
Jun 22, 2012, 02:48 PM
The game is bound to fail.

DayDreamer
Jun 22, 2012, 02:55 PM
If this is about Pso then why is it in the pso2 section?
Or did I read it wrong o -o..

hbmizzle10
Jun 22, 2012, 04:33 PM
lol my bad. i started in the wrong thread